VGC 2016 Rules - "Uber" legendaries are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY SHIT. All hell is gonna break loose next year. I cannot wait to see how well this plays out.
Holy crap I still can't believe this is happening.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I wonder if Zygarde's forms would be allowed if they are released during the season. Seems like it would be a decent PDon check. Mega Rayquaza will also be the ultimate dual mega still being able to use an item while a team member mega-evolves.

Wow, well that just riped the whole meta, at least Golduck is going to be viable and M Swampert even more

Edit: You know at this point, the event lengendaries are just outclassed so why ban them other than the fact they are more likely to be hacked

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
2010 thowback alert!
Im honestly excited even though this means i need to start chucking my master ball at ray again. This is a very big risk they are taking, but i feel like creativity and perseverence will make this a very interesting and dynamic meta. May the Mega Rays and Ho-Oh's be with you.

Calcs are real
252+ SpA Golduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 348-412 (99.1 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 178-211 (58.9 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Max Spd investment + no speed nature outspeeds any non-Choice Scarf Ray) Double set used in calc
252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Primal Groudon: 624-736 (182.9 - 215.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Primal Groudon: 540-636 (133.6 - 157.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Outspeeds like Mega Ray
+ Simple Beam + Power Herb Geomancy Xerneas = easy +4 SAtk +4 SDef +4 Speed
Then Bisharp + Focus Stash +Iron Head

Edit: Man I wish I could claim Golduck for VGC16 sets early....

+ Simple Beam + Power Herb Geomancy Xerneas = easy +4 SAtk +4 SDef +4 Speed
Roar. lol.

Scarf Cloud Nine Golduck with Hydro Pump and Ice Beam is the way to go
Is Scald too weak?

Wow, well that just riped the whole meta, at least Golduck is going to be viable and M Swampert even more

Edit: You know at this point, the event lengendaries are just outclassed so why ban them other than the fact they are more likely to be hacked
Because some people, like me, never had a Manaphy, Mew, Phione, Celebi, or Jirachi, and would have to hack to get them, or trade for someone else's and hope it isn't hacked. Plus, new players to the game that started at XY/ORAS would not be able to obtain these pokemon either, without hacking or trading. Personally, I like the rule. The world doesn't need Manaphy and Jirachi.

Ah how nostalgic just like back in the day, I wish there wasn't a pentagon rule so that it will actually make my boxes and boxes of RNG'd legends useful again.. oh well back to the SR grind...

I really don't post much on these forums, but I had to give my say on this subject. My thoughts/predictions on the meta?

Primal spam everywhere, with some Xerneas and MegaRay, and the rare Kyurem-W. POgre wasting teams with stupidly powerful Origin Pulses and PDon ruining everything else with it's own Precipice Blades. Lugia will be there, giving Cresselia a run for it's money and eating every hit imaginable, although Cress is a more reliable stop to the Primals. And don't even get me started on MegaRay and Xern... I like how they haven't made Soul Dew, which, in this meta will be somewhat average, legal (EDIT: I remembered Soul Dew is event only this gen iirc). On the plus side, less MegaMence or MKangas. On the downside, MegaRays. MegaRays everywhere. MegaRay will pretty much be mandatory it's so good. GeoXern will be common as well, because why not have some +2 nukes maiming the meta more than Mega Ray while we're at it, shall we?

TBH, I feel Game Freak did this because they didn't want to ban the VGC '15 'mons that were everywhere, so instead they just added some 680s (or 670s in Groudon and Kyogre's cases) to "balance it out". The result? An even MORE broken meta. Well, people may have some inventive handles to these terrors, so Game Freak got their diversity wish. Sort of. Which means Golduck everywhere. Yay... I guess other options are Sableye for prankster burn to cripple MegaRay. Unless it's special. In that case RIP. Well, that's my say. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to make my VGC '16 team.

Last edited:

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
I am super excited for this new meta. However, I predict it will become stale for some. It is a very bold move on the part of the Pokemon Company, but I predict this meta will provide many more surprises than one would expect. Though the 2015 season was probably the best yet, I am glad we are not having another year of it because by the end of it most of all the teams had been exhausted of all creativity.

A resource for the time being: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ubers.3542746/

Last edited:
I'm just waiting to see Trick Room Mawile shine in VGC. Like, it was pretty cool last year and won senior's in '14, but now that we're heading into 2016...
wew

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Mega Mawile has some unique matchups (eg against Mega Ray Mega Kang and Xerneas), but can be easily OHKOd by PDon, POgre, and others

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd rather deal with Landorus-T on every single team than P-Groudon or Mega Rayquaza on every single team. It's almost like people complained about VGC 2015 being a stale metagame and TPCI decided to make VGC 2016 a staler metagame out of spite.

There goes my plans on attending 2016 regionals.

I really don't post much on these forums, but I had to give my say on this subject. My thoughts/predictions on the meta?

Primal spam everywhere, with some Xerneas and MegaRay, and the rare Kyurem-W. POgre wasting teams with stupidly powerful Origin Pulses and PDon ruining everything else with it's own Precipice Blades. Lugia will be there, giving Cresselia a run for it's money and eating every hit imaginable, although Cress is a more reliable stop to the Primals. And don't even get me started on MegaRay and Xern... I like how they haven't made Soul Dew, which, in this meta will be somewhat average, legal. On the plus side, less MegaMence or MKangas. On the downside, MegaRays. MegaRays everywhere. MegaRay will pretty much be mandatory it's so good. GeoXern will be common as well, because why not have some +2 nukes maiming the meta more than Mega Ray while we're at it, shall we?

TBH, I feel Game Freak did this because they didn't want to ban the VGC '15 'mons that were everywhere, so instead they just added some 680s (or 670s in Groudon and Kyogre's cases) to "balance it out". The result? An even MORE broken meta. Well, people may have some inventive handles to these terrors, so Game Freak got their diversity wish. Sort of. Which means Golduck everywhere. Yay... I guess other options are Sableye for prankster burn to cripple MegaRay. Unless it's special. In that case RIP. Well, that's my say. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to make my VGC '16 team.
Don't forget they also try to "balance" the meta by creating pokemon that are direct counters to the OP mons. Like M-Gallade with inner focus to kill M-Kang but in practice don't work because the pokemon is not suited well for a meta infested with intimidate and prankster status. So yeah basically they don't know how to balance and mabe even if they knew how to balance it wouldn't matter because of all the HAX.

Ok, so my dear fellow Smogoners, I need your help. What's the best set for Primal Groudon and Mega Ray in doubles? What would be the best function they would serve? I honestly have no idea on how to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)