Post college grads come here

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I am still living the life of a degreeless worker. Recently got a job as a healthcare biller. I can say that there is definitely a way to move up in the world. Don't stop trying, even if you fail. I'm excited about this job everyday because I'm driven to earn money to pay for my degree. I plan on graduating from college two to three years down the road debt-free and having paid for my education by the sweat off my brow. It actually feels good going to work even though it may be considered a boring job, because I recently had a newfound drive to work hard. It took me a little while but now everyday I wake up I'm excited for whatever will happen next.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Taking the GRE tomorrow so I can try and get into grad school. Tried taking a bunch of those practice tests over the past couple weeks but none really seemed to help lol. It's so fucking hit or miss. "Well this answer could be right, but this answer is more right." Fucking bullshit, it's like trying to argue with Great Sage. e.e

Anyway, wish me luck. Imma bout to get buttfucked by highschool level Algebra 2

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK took the GRE today, it was long and forever but not too bad. Got a 159 on the verbal part and 150 on the Math part, which if I'm understanding the standard deviations and shit I'm at the 81st percentile for the verbal and 40th for the Math.

So basically my math was shit but that was to be expected tbh, and IDK how much they're gonna weigh that against me going into grad school since I never use it but we'll see.

Have yet to see how I did on the writing portion.

Overall, it was like taking a dickier version of the ACT.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK took the GRE today, it was long and forever but not too bad. Got a 159 on the verbal part and 150 on the Math part, which if I'm understanding the standard deviations and shit I'm at the 81st percentile for the verbal and 40th for the Math.

So basically my math was shit but that was to be expected tbh, and IDK how much they're gonna weigh that against me going into grad school since I never use it but we'll see.

Have yet to see how I did on the writing portion.

Overall, it was like taking a dickier version of the ACT.
what subject are you hoping to go to grad school for? also what made you decide to apply for grad school? (just curious, hope you don't mind my asking)

Oglemi

Borf
History, hopefully specifically Caribbean History and its Diasporas.

Want to go to grad school because I want to actually do something within the history field. I tried for a couple months to find a job in the field with a Bachelor's and there were literally zero bites. They want a Master's + experience (or at a minimum Master's), or if you're an entry level position, they don't want to have to relocate you (or if they do they want you to have been a part of the military (most history/museum jobs are government sector)).

With grad school I'll hopefully get the experience part AND the Master's part, since I'm finding getting the experience part is next to impossible with a Bachelor's and no prior experience (but let's be real even in college there was nothing to get experience + I was focusing on teaching at the time).

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ah good, history is definitely somewhere they're not likely to care about math.

I've heard plenty of friends say the same things about a low math score. But they were in things like Psych or Ling, and low math scores hurt their chances because stats and computational stuff is decently important.

In other news I'm also graduating in May. No offers yet, but I'm looking at a lot of stuff all the time. I had a final round for a schmancy consulting company months ago, but I didn't get it.

One great thing about this thread: you all get free likes, and all you had to do was graduate from college (I'm taking away srk1214's like if s/he doesn't graduate).

I just got a job working in local government because my fiance wants to live around his family. It's nothing too special, but I'm making money and I have zipp-o debt. He has a job, so we're dual-income, no-kids types right now. I might even be able to afford things that I've always wanted but could never ask my parents to buy for me buy in college, like nice coasters, a nice chess set, a wedding, and so on.

Cheers.

Taking a gap year now to do research with a professor I wanted to work with.

Plans are to go to grad school...eventually. I'm applying for a Fulbright research scholarship this fall and praying that I get that. Otherwise, I might try to find work for a year before applying for grad school. I'm just sort of exploring different fields beforehand since I don't want to really lock myself into a particular field of research without really knowing what it's about.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having graduated right in the aftermath of the financial crisis, I got to say that it has been a very tough path... in some ways, I blame myself for lacking more aggressiveness (proactivity), and there's always room to wish I had worked harder-- but really we can never know. Today though, I am a happy man.

I graduated from a good undergrad school with a good track record for economics (my major), but finding the (standard) work at a bank or other financial institute was basically impossible unless you were an accounting major close to (or having) your CPA. Of course I looked into many other possible jobs, but nothing really came around. It was frustrating to the point that I really really really relate with this book:

"The Lost Generation Strikes Back" (literally the same title as the Pokemon movie, but with the "Lost Generation" instead of "Mewtwo." The lost generation refers to those college grads who graduated in the years immediately following the Japanese economy's bubble burst, and amongst all the terrible years of economic slowdown following. The book's secondary protagonist (the primary is of course, Hanzawa Naoki, bad ass banker in my avatar) Moriyama is a brokerage worker from an elite school who-- guess what-- thanks to his graduation timing, barely managed to find a job, and struggled in life, often blaming the great trials of his life on the failings of the "bubble generation." Hanzawa though becomes a great mentor to him, and helps him change his attitude, and look to the future and what he can do to change it-- seeing meaningfulness in work, and the importance of "uprightness" that the world has lost sight of.

I ended up heading to Japan-- at the time I had an N2 (2nd highest of 5 levels) on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, and wanted to pursue a higher level. While an N2 was enough to be considered "business level" in good economic times, it amounted to nothing in the midst of worldwide economic trouble. At the time, I wasn't thinking about the N1 (the highest level of proficiency in the test), and it was said that going from N2 to N1 was comparable to going from no Japanese skill to N2 (such a huge gap), I never thought I'd reach that point. But I wanted to grill my business Japanese and honorific/humble speech, so I spent most of the year out of college going to a Japanese school in Japan and interning at one of the local organizations.

At the same time, I was applying for the JET program (Japanese government sponsored program for assistant language teachers-- English teachers in other words). Ended up getting in, and worked for 2 years. During that time-- I have no idea how, but I managed to get my Japanese up to the point to pass the N1. I also met a Japanese girl and fell in love. <3

After that, I decided to go for my MBA, and joined an International MBA program with a Chinese focus. I studied for a year stateside again before going to China for a year of study abroad and internship. I worked for a year in Market research, and then the second year in digital marketing for two different companies. I also got married before heading out to China. :3 We also had a daughter that was born to us during my 2nd year winter vacation (so I was able to head back to Japan to be with my wife during the delivery).

Originally, I had planned to look for work in the US with a company that needed expertise in Asian relations, but it was at this point that I started noticing that seriously considering looking for work in Japan might be a good option. I had passed the highest level of the JLPT, and having gotten married, I now had a working visa for Japan and no need for sponsorship from a company. These are the 2 largest hurdles for any foreigner looking to consider work in Japan. With the economy picking up, and Abenomics doing it's job, I decided to be serious-- after graduating in may, I've spent the last 2 months furiously doing job hunting in Japan.

I'm glad to say I see my efforts panning out-- I found a job in marketing/brand management at a large American IT company (won't name it, but it's a long standing company you'd definitely know...) in Tokyo. It's basically my dream job-- though I imagine (and I'm ready!) they'll really grind me for all I'm worth~.

All the trial, anguish, and challenge of the years following college graduation-- it's all lead to this point. Looking back, it's crazy to think I've been out of college now more years than I'd been in it; and I never came to that moment of relief or fulfillment, the calm before the storm you expect when you get your first job out. That moment's finally here for me, and I gotta say-- it's great.

My career is just starting now, and while I worked and refined myself over the years, I really owe it to everyone who supported me-- my wife who supported me in everything and made EVERYTHING possible, my daughter who (if she hadn't been made) forced us to tie the knot (and subsequently do all the visa paperwork sooner! Also nothing lights the fire like responsibility!), my relatives who pushed me forward, all those mentors who gave me advice, and my amazing parents who provided me with the best of skills, mentorship, education, and opportunities to grow up to who I am now. (Really though, the list of friends, comrades, teachers and former employers who I should be thankful to just goes on and on)

I've finally fought my way out of limbo, and the real OU battle starts now.
So bit of an update--
Been 7 months since I started working, and I g2 say I love my job.
First, my boss is a boss-- She is in my eyes, an incredible leader and professional I would really want to aspire to emulate. Focused and results oriented, but also personable, relationship oriented, and supportive. She's motivational and flexible-- most of our team works from home 1-3 days a week on average. What I admire about most, is her forward minded outlook-- always looking to achieve something bigger, tackle new challenges, and take totally new approaches.

One thing I learned about being a brand manager, is that we're often the customer, buying consultation, media, and production services-- and of course, it's generally more comfortable to be on the buying side of a relationship.

For instance we work with an international marketing agency in order to coordinate our strategy, do our media buys, and create content. Novice that I am, I lead a team of staff from the agency since I am on the client side. This is an incredible role for me, because on one hand I have staff of great calliber who are long time veterans of the profession, but on the other, I make the decisions, I lead the team.

In a sense, I got quality mentorship answering to me, while also getting to hone management/leadership skills.

And my boss loves education, I got a recommendation from her and our CMO to join the excelled development program, and get 2 years of mentoring from one of our future executive candidates. Of course, my Japanese has never been sharper (though in IT, I feel like half our vocab is English anyway-- lolz).

Anyway, I am intensely motivated, believe in my company's goals and direction, and wake up looking forward to the new challenges presented each day.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Graduated May 2014 w/ a BS in Psych. Going to med school in the fall, probably at Columbia. Still deciding
If you (or Ender ) have any questions about med school hit me up. Always happy to chat about the doom and gloom (or lack there of) of med school. Congrats!

Oglemi

Borf
Got a 4.5 on the Writing portion of the GRE which is 80th percentile. Was hoping for a 5 since that's like 90th percentile which could kinda help make up for my math score but ohwell. Overall pretty happy with it, we'll see if my math score is high enough or if I end up retaking it or not, now knowing that I could easily bump up my writing/verbal score a little with it now that I know what to expect. Only thing is the test is $200 e.e

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well I guess I should post here. Graduated this past weekend and still searching for a job.

BA in International Studies and a BS in Economics, concentrating in Decision Processes at UPenn (Huntsman Program, which is between both the college of arts and sciences and the wharton school). Technically, I will be an August graduate, not a May graduate, as I had difficulties completing my senior thesis on time for a whole host of reasons, but I'm still effectively a graduate now. I won't be enrolled in any more classes nor will I be paying any more money to Penn. It's just an incomplete grade and it will need to be resolved by August.

My long term plan would be in public policy in DC but for whatever reason my connections (limited, but I did spend the past two summers interning there) haven't panned out fast at all. I still may figure it out but I'm losing faith, understandably, I think. The back up plan is to stay in Atlanta where I have much better connections. I do not like my hometown at all, but I don't think I would be utterly devastated to live there for a year or two-- I just know I won't be happy there long term. It's possible, if I stay in Atlanta, that I could end up working on the business side of one of our major sports teams. But at this point, I just don't know yet.

It's pretty confusing to have as strong an educational and internship background as I do and still be searching. I'm sure it'll work out sooner or later, but that's not much help to my stress levels in the short term.

It's pretty confusing to have as strong an educational and internship background as I do and still be searching. I'm sure it'll work out sooner or later, but that's not much help to my stress levels in the short term.
This is probably the worst thing about the post-college job search. It's really easy to get down on yourself if things don't come along quickly. The most important thing is to stay positive and divert your energy into something you enjoy because one of the most jarring things about leaving school was the amount of time I suddenly had on my hands. I picked up some new hobbies (gardening, baking bread) and redeveloped a reading for pleasure routine.

Good luck!

Well I guess I should post here. Graduated this past weekend and still searching for a job.

BA in International Studies and a BS in Economics, concentrating in Decision Processes at UPenn (Huntsman Program, which is between both the college of arts and sciences and the wharton school). Technically, I will be an August graduate, not a May graduate, as I had difficulties completing my senior thesis on time for a whole host of reasons, but I'm still effectively a graduate now. I won't be enrolled in any more classes nor will I be paying any more money to Penn. It's just an incomplete grade and it will need to be resolved by August.

My long term plan would be in public policy in DC but for whatever reason my connections (limited, but I did spend the past two summers interning there) haven't panned out fast at all. I still may figure it out but I'm losing faith, understandably, I think. The back up plan is to stay in Atlanta where I have much better connections. I do not like my hometown at all, but I don't think I would be utterly devastated to live there for a year or two-- I just know I won't be happy there long term. It's possible, if I stay in Atlanta, that I could end up working on the business side of one of our major sports teams. But at this point, I just don't know yet.

I work at a museum-oriented organization with many people coming from public policy backgrounds (organization has a lot to do with U.S History, specifically the senate). Many of them moved from DC to Boston and found plenty of internships and jobs here for public policy. Boston itself is very expensive, but if you don't want to live right in the city there are plenty of areas with affordable housing. Just figured I'd drop that here in case you wanted to look into other places offering good opportunities.

I just graduated from UCSD with a degree with Bioengineering. Starting my new job as a Process Engineer for a medical device company on June 22. It'll definitely be interesting to see how things change transitioning from college life to the working world.

I had to look for the job I currently have for months. I graduated with an electrical engineering degree in the summer of 2013 and have been happily employed in the aerospace industry for almost two years now. I also have a beautiful four month old daughter with my wife. I even bought my first house eleven days ago! It's crazy how I can see the Pokemon community growing up around me. Over the years so much changes, but our love for this one game remains something we can all share. Happy for all of you doing well and for those struggling, stay motivated and keep trying. You can do it!

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Been a bit more than a year now since I graduated with BAs in Politics and Philosophy from UCSC. I bummed around in Santa Cruz for a while doing food service, and then I took a job at a medical library in southern california, which paid more/hour than I make now. I got bored of that (one can only be so familiar with pubMed before it becomes repetitive) so I started looking for jobs in mental health care, which is what you're 'supposed' to do with degrees in epistemology anyway, at least if you aren't eager to sell your soul to graduate schools right away. It took me a little while to figure out how to make a resume that didn't make it seem like I was some sort of law firm's shill looking to find lawsuits. Once I did though, my search was very, very brief, I applied to like maybe 4 facilities before I got an interview, and my streak of never not getting hired after an interview continues.

Anyway, I've been working as an "On-call" (i.e no overtime or double time and they try not to let me get 40 hours a week, but they often do not succeed) Counselor at a dual diagnosis (i.e mental health diagnosis+addiction) rehab facility, a 'group home' as it were. Love my job rn.

Honestly, I've never had a problem getting a job because of my privilege, although I have few qualifications that would allow me to get jobs that pay much more than 15$/hour which is what I make right now (I have no debt and some savings so its chill).

Thus, in moving back to my college town to work, I actually faced many of the same problems I had before I graduated: a horrible Santa Cruz housing market means I am saving little money each month (and I make like $1200-1400/month after tax, so that shows how bad the housing market is). I'm probably gonna look to pick up a shift at another facility now that I have some experience and training. In the longer-term, I really just need to get out of the bay area and work in a place that doesn't suck for working people.

I live in a horrible place that is soooo cold in the mornings that I can't sleep in (34 degrees earlier today), and it has lead paint, and ants like to invade when it rains. I won't go in to how much the rent is but it is too damn much for what it is (barely affordable on my budget). Looking towards the future I want to move into a place that is cheaper and better than where I live now. I really want a space to garden which is impossible at my current house.

I also still need to take the gre/lsat and do grad school apps, I know it's getting very late in the application process but I still want to apply this year and I have been moving all around doing all sorts of shit this past year so I haven't really gotten a handle on it yet. Still, I think graduate school must be in my future and preferably within the next two years. I'm going to apply to jd programs and ph.d/masters programs in philosophy, if I don't get into one of the big law schools (Berkeley/UCLA) or the hella selective and competitive philosophy programs ('some years we might accept an applicant, some years we don't'), then I may look into pursuing licensing as a therapist/MSW/MFT type stuff (it's easier and better to pursue this path outside of california due to differences in state laws and funding structures, so it's more of a fall back plan at the moment). I am also scheming about medical school but I dont have a concrete plan yet (and i would have to take a few classes just to qualify).

also yes, my STEM friends are making more than 3x what I do and working less hours. thats chill, i guess. One of them moved to Oakland to work in a lab, that gentrifying fuck. im not jealous at all.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
That's an awesome attitude to have, I'll need your bravery around this time next year.

Also, since you wrote this....
Anyway, I've been working as an "On-call" (i.e no overtime or double time and they try not to let me get 40 hours a week, but they often do not succeed) Counselor at a dual diagnosis (i.e mental health diagnosis+addiction) rehab facility, a 'group home' as it were. Love my job rn.
Just curious, but what's your take on zero hour contracts?

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
That's an awesome attitude to have, I'll need your bravery around this time next year.

Also, since you wrote this....

Just curious, but what's your take on zero hour contracts?
Well, if you can avoid 'zero hour contracts' (that isn't a thing i know about in the sense that they have in the UK ) you should, but who has the option to turn it down? Like, I may have found work quickly and easily, but I still had to look for it, people don't come looking for me to offer me fancy jobs, you feel? My contract is for employment scheduled as 'on-call'. The contract goes on to say that I am scheduled to be on-call "0.00 percent of time", so I guess that counts as what you're talking about: a zero hour contract.

In the first place, I am fortunate that I get a lot of hours (like 10+ a month) for paid training and guaranteed 2 additional hours each week if I go to general staff meetings, which I do not get paid for rn, because I am scheduled to be there at that time usually anyway (so it isn't in addition). I also just pick-up hella shifts by always being willing to cover if something becomes open. I guess they like me or maybe hate me, but either way so far my coworkers usually call me first if they need someone to take their shifts and so I've been working nearly full-time ( 24-42 hours/week has been the variance). Immediately after I started they decided they wanted me to take over another person's shifts, and thats how I have a lot of 'for certain' hours. My colleagues that have my same position don't get as many hours as I do, but they also work at other facilities/schools/programs in the area at the same time, so I guess I just got lucky and got a position where they will basically give me as many hours as I'm willing to work? And it's not bravery, it really is privilege: the world is set-up for me not to fail. Actually, there is a sense in which I've done remarkably badly for myself, but even thats not too bad imo.

I used to play competitively and frequent here a few years back.

Now in my 4th year of medical school. Yesterday, I decided to open my 3DS to play pokemon x again. Also just bought Omega Sapphire. Starting from scratch is really neat; I really miss this game alot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)