General Introduce yourself!

Hello Smogon!!! I've have been playing Pokemon since its release in the US (almost 18 years, so basically my whole life). I've never really been involved in a large community like this, mostly only playing with close local friends. But last spring an internet friend of mine turned me on to Pokemon Showdown, and I was instantly drawn into the massive and still growing online world of Pokemon. I have never been much of a competitive battler, but that's something I'm changing at a rapid pace (I'm currently 146 on the LC ladder, which is my first competitive endeavor).

Some of my favorite Pokemon include Gyarados, Beedrill (obviously), Murkrow, Roserade, and Jellicent.

I first played Pokemon Blue version, but my favorite game so far has to be Pokemon Emerald. The introduction of the Battle Frontier in Emerald along with the incorporation of natures and abilities (among many other things) that generation 3 brought has always made it a very special time for me in Pokemon History. Anyway I'll wrap up my long-winded intro here. I look forward to getting to know the community better and sharing some of my uniquely effective battle strategies with the world.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Hello Smogon!!! I've have been playing Pokemon since its release in the US (almost 18 years, so basically my whole life). I've never really been involved in a large community like this, mostly only playing with close local friends. But last spring an internet friend of mine turned me on to Pokemon Showdown, and I was instantly drawn into the massive and still growing online world of Pokemon. I have never been much of a competitive battler, but that's something I'm changing at a rapid pace (I'm currently 146 on the LC ladder, which is my first competitive endeavor).

Some of my favorite Pokemon include Gyarados, Beedrill (obviously), Murkrow, Roserade, and Jellicent.

I first played Pokemon Blue version, but my favorite game so far has to be Pokemon Emerald. The introduction of the Battle Frontier in Emerald along with the incorporation of natures and abilities (among many other things) that generation 3 brought has always made it a very special time for me in Pokemon History. Anyway I'll wrap up my long-winded intro here. I look forward to getting to know the community better and sharing some of my uniquely effective battle strategies with the world.
Hi Weedle.exe! I actually had a similar scenario to yours. I wasn't into competitive Pokémon until I found Pokémon Showdown and Smogon Forums! The Competitive Discussions thread and many other places on the forums really drew me to the community. Anyways, are you looking for a certain area on the forums to explore? I know you seem to now be interested in competitive Pokémon, which is why I might recommend the Competitive Discussions area located here. Also, do you have any questions? If so, head on over to Smogon Simple Questions! You'll get an answer as soon as possible. You can also PM me if you need anything or have any questions! Best of luck.

Hi Weedle.exe! I actually had a similar scenario to yours. I wasn't into competitive Pokémon until I found Pokémon Showdown and Smogon Forums! The Competitive Discussions thread and many other places on the forums really drew me to the community. Anyways, are you looking for a certain area on the forums to explore? I know you seem to now be interested in competitive Pokémon, which is why I might recommend the Competitive Discussions area located here. Also, do you have any questions? If so, head on over to Smogon Simple Questions! You'll get an answer as soon as possible. You can also PM me if you need anything or have any questions! Best of luck.
Thanks for the quick reply deetah, and thanks for the suggestions! The forums here have a plethora of content to for me to explore so I'm not to concerned with finding a place to start, because they all seem like great places to start. I have poked around a lot of the competitive discussions already, but haven't gotten too involved yet since I haven't had much experience. But that will be changing soon as I am begging to feel more comfortable in the metagame. I have a lot of general Pokemon knowledge since I've been playing for a long time, so mostly I'm looking to learn how to better apply that knowledge and to see what the thoughts and opinions of others in the community. Thanks again for the warm and helpful welcome, and I'm sure you'll see me around in the various discussion threads :]

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Thanks for the quick reply deetah, and thanks for the suggestions! The forums here have a plethora of content to for me to explore so I'm not to concerned with finding a place to start, because they all seem like great places to start. I have poked around a lot of the competitive discussions already, but haven't gotten too involved yet since I haven't had much experience. But that will be changing soon as I am begging to feel more comfortable in the metagame. I have a lot of general Pokemon knowledge since I've been playing for a long time, so mostly I'm looking to learn how to better apply that knowledge and to see what the thoughts and opinions of others in the community. Thanks again for the warm and helpful welcome, and I'm sure you'll see me around in the various discussion threads :]
Very true. All areas on the forums offer great potential, it's hard to know where to start. All I can say is best of luck, and PM me if you need anything!

'lo everyone, I'm Vivian. Spent a good amount of time reading various threads and articles on here today and I had to ask myself why I'd never registered; I've been coming to this site for years, since Gen III even (13 years). In any case, been learning more each Generation and improving on my application of knowledge to build a team for each Generation in my games. Now up to Gen VI I've finally completed the National Dex and thanks to this thread I've managed to get what are effectively 6 5-IV perfect legendaries (Azelf, Kyurem, Raikou, Suicune, Tornadus, and Landorus)...and now I've been pondering on another 6th Gen team, and OU has changed a deal since I last looked, so...here I am.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
'lo everyone, I'm Vivian. Spent a good amount of time reading various threads and articles on here today and I had to ask myself why I'd never registered; I've been coming to this site for years, since Gen III even (13 years). In any case, been learning more each Generation and improving on my application of knowledge to build a team for each Generation in my games. Now up to Gen VI I've finally completed the National Dex and thanks to this thread I've managed to get what are effectively 6 5-IV perfect legendaries (Azelf, Kyurem, Raikou, Suicune, Tornadus, and Landorus)...and now I've been pondering on another 6th Gen team, and OU has changed a deal since I last looked, so...here I am.
Hey -Vivian J. K, glad to see you're finding your way around the forums! We're glad you could join us! Also, are there any other certain areas on the forums that you're looking for? Let me know! If you have questions, just send me a PM or ask in the Smogon Simple Questions thread. Welcome!

Greetings everyone!

I have to admit up until recently I had only ever played RBY and GSC gens......and these were when they first came out...... But with a week off work I decided to indulge in some "retro" gaming and discovered how much I'd missed while I've been away. I actually ended up getting Fire Red to ease myself back into things and really enjoyed it.

So while playing through FR and googling a few things to get my head round new mechanics and things that 8-10 year old me really didn't care much about I stumbled across this place. I'm also a player of D&D and MTG, so these newly discovered aspects of pokemon really appeal to me.

I'm not currently on PS but will be looking to register.
I'm generally here just to learn more about the competitive side of the game, team building, breeding, and meet some people of similar interests.
Since I'm only just rejoining the fold after more than a decade of absence, I think the biggest thing I may need help with is the vast amount of new things that have been introduced since Gen II
My favourite pokemon is probably Marill because it's cute af.

My favourite game was Silver, but this will probably change once I've got my hands on the newer Gens.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
Greetings everyone!

I have to admit up until recently I had only ever played RBY and GSC gens......and these were when they first came out...... But with a week off work I decided to indulge in some "retro" gaming and discovered how much I'd missed while I've been away. I actually ended up getting Fire Red to ease myself back into things and really enjoyed it.

So while playing through FR and googling a few things to get my head round new mechanics and things that 8-10 year old me really didn't care much about I stumbled across this place. I'm also a player of D&D and MTG, so these newly discovered aspects of pokemon really appeal to me.

I'm generally here just to learn more about the competitive side of the game, team building, breeding, and meet some people of similar interests.
Since I'm only just rejoining the fold after more than a decade of absence, I think the biggest thing I may need help with is the vast amount of new things that have been introduced since Gen II

My favourite game was Silver, but this will probably change once I've got my hands on the newer Gens.
Hello Molem7b5, glad you could join us! There are many areas on the forums to suit your interests. For example, Battling 101, Competitive Discussions, Wi-Fi, and more! There are also places on Pokémon Showdown too! They do tournaments here at Smogon, and it's all around a good community to be in! So, if you'd be interested in any of those places and want to find them, just let me know below! Also, do you have questions? There's a good place to ask for that! You can ask in the Smogon Simple Questions thread to get an almost immediate answer. PM me if you have other important questions / concerns, and maybe I can help introduce you to Pokémon Showdown as well.

Thanks deetah, had a quick look at PS and it currently seems quite confusing. Are there any "How to guides" for some of the stuff on there?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Greetings everyone!

Hi there, and welcome to Smogon, Molem7b5! I hope you're having a great time on the forums!

A lot of the game mechanics have changed from RBY to ORAS, but it isn't really hard to remember them all. If you need help with anything, you can just head over to the "Competitive Tutoring" room on Pokemon Showdown, or you could ask it in a SQSA thread. SQSA means "Simple Question, Simple Answer" - if you have a query in a particular sector of Pokemon, you can ask it in the respective SQSA thread for that topic, provided the answer can be quite brief and concise.

I've never played D&D and MTG, but they seem like really interesting card games! If you want, you can join the "Traditional Games" room on Pokemon Showdown where you can talk about board and card games. If you like fantasy, you might want to join the "Writing" room, where you can share your ideas, if you're an aspiring writer. You can also join the "Myths and Magic" room, and you'll be bound to find people that share the same interests as you.

Now, onto competitive Pokemon. There are lots of things you can do, but I'll just name a few. Definitely check out "Battling 101" which is a tutoring programme. Lucky for you, the signups start at midnight (GMT), so if you want, you can join it. I know I definitely will be! You can also check out the tier rooms (OU, UU, PU) on Pokemon Showdown for a particular tier if you ever need help with a team. You can also check out the "RMT" forum, or "RMT" room on Pokemon Showdown if you want your team to be assessed.

For breeding, you can check out the "Wi-Fi" room on Pokemon Showdown where you can trade Pokemon; people also do giveaways there every now and then, so that could be exciting. There's also a "Breeding" room, so you can check that out as well! Conveniently, there's a Wi-Fi forum here, so take a look at that as well.

Enough of my constant yammering! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me :]

Have a nice day.

Hi everyone,

I'm Quin. Some of you may know me, in which case please imagine a personalised affectionate insult. For those, more likely, who don't: hi! :D

Blue was my first, and I have played every generation bar the third. Platinum was the first time I used Smogon and the first time I started thinking about movesets. Why, I don't know, because I have never battled online (other than Showdown). Soul Silver remains my favourite, as it was the game I spent a crap tonne of time creating the perfect Umbreon on. I did this solely because you could have a pokemon follow you in that game, and Umbreon looks cool. xD

My favourite pokemon are, in no particular order: Umbreon - Curse stall set; Snorlax - Verlisify set; Slurpuff - the obvious set; and Arcanine. I have never successfully played Arcanine, but he purty. <3

I'm going to address the blasphemy in the previous paragraph now. Verlisify is literally the reason I decided to get into battling. I like his videos and find them informative and entertaining. My two cents on the myriad of controversy around him are that he is a complete bellend who desperately needs to reevaluate the way he deals with people, but his main opponents are effectively exactly the same as him. :D

I decided to finally join the fora here as, after lurking a while, it seemed like a jolly nice place. I'm interested in getting involved with Battle Spot teams, and will be partaking of the mentoring programme here extensively, as I am completely useless in every conceivable way.

My bank details are 04... no, actually, I think I'll end the introduction there. :P

Feel free to send me visitor messages if you wanna chat about. Nice to meet you all!

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
Hi everyone,

I'm Quin. Some of you may know me, in which case please imagine a personalised affectionate insult. For those, more likely, who don't: hi! :D

Blue was my first, and I have played every generation bar the third. Platinum was the first time I used Smogon and the first time I started thinking about movesets. Why, I don't know, because I have never battled online (other than Showdown). Soul Silver remains my favourite, as it was the game I spent a crap tonne of time creating the perfect Umbreon on. I did this solely because you could have a pokemon follow you in that game, and Umbreon looks cool. xD

My favourite pokemon are, in no particular order: Umbreon - Curse stall set; Snorlax - Verlisify set; Slurpuff - the obvious set; and Arcanine. I have never successfully played Arcanine, but he purty. <3

I'm going to address the blasphemy in the previous paragraph now. Verlisify is literally the reason I decided to get into battling. I like his videos and find them informative and entertaining. My two cents on the myriad of controversy around him are that he is a complete bellend who desperately needs to reevaluate the way he deals with people, but his main opponents are effectively exactly the same as him. :D

I decided to finally join the fora here as, after lurking a while, it seemed like a jolly nice place. I'm interested in getting involved with Battle Spot teams, and will be partaking of the mentoring programme here extensively, as I am completely useless in every conceivable way.

My bank details are 04... no, actually, I think I'll end the introduction there. :P

Feel free to send me visitor messages if you wanna chat about. Nice to meet you all!
Hello Quintonir! Welcome to Smogon Forums. They have rooms on Pokemon Showdown for some of the stuff you may be looking for, like Social Media, and Battle Spot. So if I can, I would suggest visiting Pokemon Showdown, and perhaps trying out the Battle Spot room! I wasn't really into the first few Pokemon games, I first started to get into the games when I found Pokemon Diamond. I chose Chimchar, and ever since choosing my first starter ever I was hooked on Pokemon. But since you are a fan of Battle Spot, I definitely recommend checking out the Battle Spot room on Pokemon Showdown to see whether you like it or not. I still want to get into Battle Spot, so maybe you can help me out sometime, and we can introduce you on the forums.

If you have any questions, just PM me, or my pal Sobi, one of us can help you out!

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Smogon, Quintonir!

My first game wasn't Pokemon Blue, but I played it, and gave up after the second gym or so. The first Pokemon game I played, if I remember correctly, was Pokemon Emerald. It was a new game at the time, and everyone was excited for it. I was lucky enough to get one and I played through it a couple few times before moving on. My favourite gen was Gen 2, and Soul Silver / Heart Gold were my favourite gens as well. I really liked how the Pokemon walked behind you, and it was just a cool game in general. Sadly that feature was removed in later releases, but I hope they re-include it!

Anyway, if you're a fan of YouTube, and other social media, you can join the "Social Media" chatroom on Pokemon Showdown. If you're a beginning to competitive Pokemon, take time in becoming more familiar with it, and check out the "CT" room on Pokemon Showdown, as well as the various other battling rooms.

I did play Battle Spot a few days ago, and I enjoyed it so much. There's a "Battle Spot" room on PS!, so you can go there as well, and check out the resources they have available.

I think I've covered everything:- if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or deetah, and one of us will be able to help you! Enjoy your time on the forums, and have a nice day!

Heyy! My name is Jasmin and I've been playing competively for about 1 year now lol, Im in a pokemon league called FELLA and my favorite pokemon is Missingno :3

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
Heyy! My name is Jasmin and I've been playing competively for about 1 year now lol, Im in a pokemon league called FELLA and my favorite pokemon is Missingno :3
Hey LovelyMess, glad you could join us! I just recently started playing competitive Pokémon for around almost a year as well, and that was around the time I found Pokémon Showdown and the forums. I was in a league once on another Pokémon Showdown server, but it went down. Anyways, since you seem to be into Competitive Pokémon, I am going to recommend the Competitive Discussion forum and the Competitive Tutoring room on Pokémon Showdown if you need help with it!

If you have any questions, you can contact me or my pal Sobi via PM!

Hello, I'm High Command.

I enjoy Pokemon; it's one of my favorite things to do in my spare time. I played a lot of the games when I was younger, and still catch up to the nostalgia to this day. Other than that, I won't mind building teams, battling, or even just discussing Pokemon with anyone. If you ever need help or just want to chat, contact me. I'd be more than happy to hang out. :]

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello, I'm High Command.

I enjoy Pokemon; it's one of my favorite things to do in my spare time. I played a lot of the games when I was younger, and still catch up to the nostalgia to this day. Other than that, I won't mind building teams, battling, or even just discussing Pokemon with anyone. If you ever need help or just want to chat, contact me. I'd be more than happy to hang out. :]
Wlecome to Smogon, High Command, great to see that you joined Smogon. I also played a good majority of the games when I was younger; what are your favourites? If you ever want to build, battle, or discuss Pokemon with someone, feel free to drop me a PM on Pokemon Showdown (I go by the same name there) and we can get acquainted with each other. If you need any help, feel free to drop me a PM on here, or on PS & I'd be more than glad to help you out. We're glad to have you here & we hope you enjoy your stay !

Helle, I'm Philipp,

I want to start playing Pokemon competitive, because playing Pokemon is much fun to me since I started playing the first generations 15 years ago.

Now playing Pokemon competively sounds really nice for me. I am playing at my Nintendo 3DS device so the main metagame for me will be the BattleSpot I think(not sure^^).

I already started breeding nice Pokemon but I struggle with building teams that have a good synergy.

Sorry for my bad English :)

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Helle, I'm Philipp,

I want to start playing Pokemon competitive, because playing Pokemon is much fun to me since I started playing the first generations 15 years ago.

Now playing Pokemon competively sounds really nice for me. I am playing at my Nintendo 3DS device so the main metagame for me will be the BattleSpot I think(not sure^^).

I already started breeding nice Pokemon but I struggle with building teams that have a good synergy.

Sorry for my bad English :)
Hi there, @Pslana! Welcome to Smogon.

Competitive Pokemon is really fun, and it's not very hard to get the hang of it. There are lots of things you can do to become more familiar with the concept of competitive Pokemon, such as going to the many competitive rooms Pokemon Showdown has to offer, and checking out the competitive forums on the site. Battle Spot is a fun metagame, and you can visit the respective room and thread available on Pokemon Showdown and on the forums.

As for breeding, you can check out the Wi-Fi room on Pokemon Showdown where there will be people trading with each other, so you should visit the room and see what it's like there :)

If you have any questions, or if you want to simply say 'hi', leave a message on my profile, or PM me n_n

Have a nice day!

I'm Neon Skylite, a happy little person living in Penrith, Australia. I am a university student aspiring to become a writer.
Alright maybe that last part is wrong. I'm on the WAITING LIST not in it. Lies. Lies. LIES.
I am a nintendo fan at heart. I have a Wii and 3DS.

Hmm what else...
Oh yeah, I'm a leftie and if you are too you're immediately in my good books unless you're a big jerk or some thing like that. I recolour sprites, draw, write and game in my free time.
I may go under another name but I'm on lots of sites you may use as well, dear reader. If you see anybody who has Neon or Neon Skylite or nights or Skylight or Lights or something or their number if they have one is 2501 say hi!
My OCs are Lydie the Espeon, Drillex the Excadrill, HokeyPokey the Inkay, Frackzien the Delphox whototallydoesnothaveagermanaccentdespitefrackzienbeinggermanitwasmadeonthespotandididnotnameafennekinafteragermanarmyguyonpurposealright, Shades the Krookodile, Velvet the Roserade/Budew/Roselia, Neon the Mincinno and Sabrina II or III the meowstic. See them, please say hi.
Alright, ta-ta for now!
Neon Skylite

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
I'm Neon Skylite, a happy little person living in Penrith, Australia. I am a university student aspiring to become a writer.
Alright maybe that last part is wrong. I'm on the WAITING LIST not in it. Lies. Lies. LIES.
I am a nintendo fan at heart. I have a Wii and 3DS.

Hmm what else...
Oh yeah, I'm a leftie and if you are too you're immediately in my good books unless you're a big jerk or some thing like that. I recolour sprites, draw, write and game in my free time.
I may go under another name but I'm on lots of sites you may use as well, dear reader. If you see anybody who has Neon or Neon Skylite or nights or Skylight or Lights or something or their number if they have one is 2501 say hi!
My OCs are Lydie the Espeon, Drillex the Excadrill, HokeyPokey the Inkay, Frackzien the Delphox whototallydoesnothaveagermanaccentdespitefrackzienbeinggermanitwasmadeonthespotandididnotnameafennekinafteragermanarmyguyonpurposealright, Shades the Krookodile, Velvet the Roserade/Budew/Roselia, Neon the Mincinno and Sabrina II or III the meowstic. See them, please say hi.
Alright, ta-ta for now!
Neon Skylite
Hi Neon Skylite! Welcome to Smogon. I am also a true Nintendo fan! I also enjoy writing and art in my free time as well, they're both fun and occupying activities. If I may, I would suggest the Art room and the Writing room on Pokémon Showdown's main server. Both seem like they would suit your interests, and you may enjoy it! The Writing room does many activites from games, to having contests to see who's piece of writing would win. The Art room is also pretty cool, they hold contests as well and you can make requests! Also, there are Art threads on the forums! People show their art and other creative ideas here on the forums. It's a really nice atmosphere to be in!

Hope you enjoy it here, if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Hello there!
I am a student/martial arts enthusiast/wrestling and art fan/, etc, I love a lot of things, Pokemon is one of them a long with FGs, both of with I try to play competitive, so that's why I'm here, to learn more about the game, tactics, everything I can

I actually started playing competitive 4 years ago but have barely played these last 2 years so decided to join here, learn everything from start, hope I can have some good battles here and meet cool mates :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)