YouTube YouTube Feature Suggestions

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
If you have an idea for the Smogon YouTube that you want to produce, please PM myself, antemortem, PoMMan and Mambo. But if you have an idea for a one-off video or recurring feature but for one reason or another aren't able to see it through yourself, then post it in this thread! I can't promise that it'll ever get made, but what's the worst that could happen?

Last edited:
I have an idea that hopefully will help. A bunch of new users arrive to this site hoping to create and get better in battling. I often direct them to the strategy dex but I was wondering if you guys can do a building teams basics series or something like that. Thanks and I'm open to helping anyway I can.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This might be more twitch-oriented but I always thought streaming something art-related would be cool. Say if there was some big piece smogon needed (banner, etc) done a look behind the scenes might be nice, plus viewer feedback. I know MiniArchitect streams and does a lot of official Smogon vector work so maybe once he's back in the game that could be a thing?

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This might be more twitch-oriented but I always thought streaming something art-related would be cool. Say if there was some big piece smogon needed (banner, etc) done a look behind the scenes might be nice, plus viewer feedback. I know MiniArchitect streams and does a lot of official Smogon vector work so maybe once he's back in the game that could be a thing?
I've actually contemplated doing something like this before, but never brought it up because I figured an art stream might be too much of a niche topic to fit in with Smogon streams. I'm not sure if the core audience of Smogon's Twitch would really care about an art stream, especially when the channel's main content is tournament and competitive gameplay and analysis. Plus, in my case, I unfortunately don't have a stable audio setup or a reliable streaming environment (no microphone other than the one built into my computer, and a college apartment with three other roommates who I can't necessarily get to be quiet for the duration of a stream).

Of course, if other people find that an art-related video/stream would make for interesting content, then I might see what I can do. There are speedpaints, which would be a good format for Youtube (though again there's the question of relevancy), we could have multiple users discussing a Smogon-related art project through Skype over footage of a project being drawn, or discussing some other interesting topic with artwork as a visual aid. I think some kind of artistic video/stream could be a good one-off product if we can address the issue of relevancy to Smogon's main audience.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Maybe do tournaments and record them while giving commentary over it, this can be entertaining but also help newer people get a perspective on what competitive battling is like.

coR.

Banned deucer.
Regardless the art-related, the community have a lot of diversity when it comes pokemon, some people are into competitive playing while others are into writting articles about mons, art, etc. I would love to see how someone draw a logo, like what inspired the artist to do it, why those colors, etc. I really really enjoy to see someone drawing and I know there are a lot of people who also like the idea.

Like this vid. for exlample.

For some people this may be easy but for others (including myself) its f impressive cause we suck at drawing but we love to see the " behind the scenes of the art.
I would totally support a series like this, like it would be awesome to have a series which doesn't go around the metagame by itself but around the art.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Regardless the art-related, the community have a lot of diversity when it comes pokemon, some people are into competitive playing while others are into writting articles about mons, art, etc. I would love to see how someone draw a logo, like what inspired the artist to do it, why those colors, etc. I really really enjoy to see someone drawing and I know there are a lot of people who also like the idea.

Like this vid. for exlample.

For some people this may be easy but for others (including myself) its f impressive cause we suck at drawing but we love to see the " behind the scenes of the art.
I would totally support a series like this, like it would be awesome to have a series which doesn't go around the metagame by itself but around the art.
a quick draw series would be fucking cool

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It would be quite nice and entertaining if there was a "Top 10" series. There could maybe be nominations for theme ideas (like maybe, 'Smogon's Top 10 Coolest Pokemon' and there could possibly be a vote or something to put together the Pokemon to include in the video. What do you think?
I don't think people will like 'coolest Pokemon', because that is just too subjective.
It should be more like this: 'Top 5 fastest/strongest/bulkiest/... Pokemon in OU'. Short and informative. You could think of more video ideas like this and think of how to make it entertaining too, and send the ideas to Stratos with a raw version of a script.

Last edited:
Maybe a series on identifying low ladder and how to beat it? This could apply to basically every tier so the series could go for a while

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Maybe a series on identifying low ladder and how to beat it? This could apply to basically every tier so the series could go for a while
advancing on this maybe just laddering / teambuilding tips. Maybe showing how to build stuff like Balance or Stall teams in every tier would be cool

advancing on this maybe just laddering / teambuilding tips. Maybe showing how to build stuff like Balance or Stall teams in every tier would be cool
That could actually work out pretty well. You could have 3 series on every tier, how to beat low ladder, how to beat mid ladder, and how to beat upper ladder teams along with team building for each part of the ladder

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Maybe have an introduction to tier series?
Smogon is home to so many diverse meta games that new comers might be put off by the vast amount of data and resources that are there so having a short 5-7minute video on official tiers and the more popular OM's can be very helpful (basically any tier with a permanent ladder)

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although lengthy and time-consuming, a "Why It's Banned: " series would be a beneficial addition to the Youtube channel. Ideally, this series would feature an at least somewhat notable, experienced and respected OU player, with each video in the series explaining why a certain Pokemon, move, or item is banned from the OU tier. The videos shouldn't be too long, as the intended audience probably doesn't want to sit through 15+ minute discussions, but thorough.

This would be a very educational and valuable series because not only are the text-based versions of these videos difficult to find and sometimes more brief than they could be (i.e. the first posts made by an OU council member in the suspect thread), but it offers an easily accessible resource which also explains the theory behind our banning process to players who are perhaps not as experienced or skeptical about some of the bans. Although this idea could be applied to any tier, the OU tier is by far the most popular, and the demand for similar videos for other tiers will likely be overshadowed by the amount of work required.

There are lots of things banned from OU, so a video per subject might seem like an unreasonable task, but the 680+ BST "cover legendaries" (e.g. Rayquaza, Palkia, Zekrom, Mewtwo, Arceus, etc.) could all be covered in one video because it's unnecessary to take the time to explain why each of those are banned from OU, as it should be obvious why they're banned. However, more controversial subjects such as Greninja, Aegislash, Lucarionite, Swagger, etc. should each have their own video.

Even still, I realize that a project of this size is quite daunting, and I completely understand if it doesn't get attempted. If this is something that people are willing to work on, I'd of course be willing to help in any way, but I probably shouldn't be a player featured in these videos because I'm not as notable an OU player as I think the person should be.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Forgive me if this has been done but i checked the new video announcements and didn't see something like this.

I think an introduction to cores video would be really cool. A lot of new users have a mentality of stuff like "I need a special wall and a physical wall that cover each other's weaknesses" and things of that nature. But yeah there's a lot that goes into cores past type synergy and special vs physical walling or sweeping/wallbreaking. How to make cores based on threat control, how the core members support each other and stuff like that. Potential for a series featuring specific cores and why they're good, but I think an intro video (or segment of a video) on the subject would still be best to lead with.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
That could actually work out pretty well. You could have 3 series on every tier, how to beat low ladder, how to beat mid ladder, and how to beat upper ladder teams along with team building for each part of the ladder
"how to beat mid ladder" would really just be "have some damn common sense"

Forgive me if this has been done but i checked the new video announcements and didn't see something like this.

I think an introduction to cores video would be really cool. A lot of new users have a mentality of stuff like "I need a special wall and a physical wall that cover each other's weaknesses" and things of that nature. But yeah there's a lot that goes into cores past type synergy and special vs physical walling or sweeping/wallbreaking. How to make cores based on threat control, how the core members support each other and stuff like that. Potential for a series featuring specific cores and why they're good, but I think an intro video (or segment of a video) on the subject would still be best to lead with.
I wonder if mil would be interested in making something like this :o

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
yea that's a cool idea, I'd like to work on it (ou version ofc) but not alone. bludz we can write the scripts together and then one of us records ? maybe taking turns doing so? we can start in two weeks (pretty busy atm), lmk if you're interested, you can send me your skype over pm

we can start with something simple like rachi+lati+lando, just to get a feeling on how to approach it

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yea that's a cool idea, I'd like to work on it (ou version ofc) but not alone. bludz we can write the scripts together and then one of us records ? maybe taking turns doing so? we can start in two weeks (pretty busy atm), lmk if you're interested, you can send me your skype over pm

we can start with something simple like rachi+lati+lando, just to get a feeling on how to approach it
Yeah sure. I'll shoot you a pm so we can sort out some details

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Little over the top, but do you think you guys can do something like a miniseries where you play other Pokemon games like Pokken? It would be nice to something like that.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
We're pretty much entirely going to be focused on competitive pokemon based off of the in game mechanics. Pokken is related to pokemon, but isn't really something we're going to focus on.

This answer is subject to change if someone randomly donates me a wii u and a copy of the game.

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Doing something which is related to the off-main series games and non-competitive was something that I wanted to see for the YouTube channel for a while but many of the channels subscribers have stuck around due to the competitive videos that are released. It's definitely something that could be discussed in the future but for now, I think everything that the YouTubers are contributing right now is quite good. If we get stuck on ideas then maybe it can be reviewed.

Probably the huge thing I want to see change for the Youtube channel is a fix for the background noise.

Right now, there's a bit of background noise in most of the videos, and it's kind of annoying. Even without the background noise, it's still incredibly bland, which is a shame since the videos have such good visuals. My suggestion is to add music, most likely Pokemon remixes, into the videos, which should replace the background noise. Of course, it is highly recommended to credit the original remixer.

busyguy

formerly mil
which songs do you have in mind ? would be cool if you could give us some links to tracks that fit our series

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)