Media Videogame thread

Is it worth playing it if I haven't played Dual Destinies? I haven't been able to buy it because of Nintendo's Network ID system (I'm underage but my parents would be okay with me buying it.) so I don't know anything from it.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
You would have to play Dual Destinies first. Despite the AA franchise working really well in introducing each game to newcomers, there are far too many instances where having played the previous games would provide insight. In fact, if you haven't played AA 1-4 (this includes Apollo Justice's standalone title), I highly recommend you do that. But yeah, Spirit of Justice borrows wayyyyy too much from DD in terms of characters and inter-related plot that I would only recommend you play it once you've played DD.

Also I take back what I said about there being two cases in the game that were amazing, as I was mistaking the final case as two separate episodes (I had not finished the game at the time of writing) because of how long and grandiose it really is. Suffice to say the final case in this game takes the cake as one of my favorite cases in the series (apart from DD's final case).

Alright, thank you. Guess I'll try to have my mom call Nintendo support, I've heard people have had success doing that to buy M games.

I just love Ace Attorney so much, one of my favorite series. I have played the other 4 games, and am watching the anime in the meantime while I wait to ask if we can call.

I hate to change a topic quickly, but has anyone played or have Earthlock: Festival of Magic? I woul like to know hwo you felt about the game because I was thinking of getting it.

I imported Persona 5 recently and I've been playing it and really enjoying it, thoughts: (no spoilers)

It's definitely better looking and better presented compared to Persona 4. I think part of that is expected (it's been a whole 8 years and 1.5 console generations) though it's obviously nice regardless. The amount of voice acting is probably on par with P4, social links are unvoiced outside of the first and presumably last segments, and it's generally just story or other specific scenes that are voiced. There's definitely more animated scenes though, which is cool.

I really like some of the quality of life changes they made to the battle system, like how you select the skill menu with a button instead of from scrolling down, and how you switch targets with left/right and select skills with up/down, it's a nice little time saver. Also how you can press R1 on an enemy to automatically switch to a Persona that can hit an enemy's weakness (assuming you know and can target said weakness, obv). And how you can press Square in the field to automatically use MP to heal everyone back to full. The end of battle sequence takes too long normally too but the way the battle just ends gives you a fancy victory screen without bothering to display damage if you finish with an all-out attack is great.

The one thing that bugs me is that it replaced Shuffle Time or whatever with SMT4's demon conversation system, where you can try to answer questions to recruit new personae or get money or items out of them once you've knocked all enemies down. Getting the "right" answer is pretty much all luck, and if you answer wrong it gives the enemy party a free turn which can (and for me already has) lead to a game over if there's more than one left alive. There are also guns and gun is an element now, buying a good gun lets you hit pretty hard, but it's expensive and there's no way to replenish ammo in-dungeon so you can only use it 2-4 times or so.

Mechanically, it's also on par with or better than p4 (the demon conversation thing aside). I also like how you can buy or check out books that raise your social stats and read them on the train on days where you're lucky enough to have a seat, and how NPC Slinks also give you some sort of benefit (one gives you additional healing items for sale, one gives you extra EXP for characters not in active combat, etc). Story and characters are hard to judge atm, I like Ryuuji/Morgana/Ann but I'm surprisingly kinda iffy on Yuusuke, he's my newest member though so maybe he just needs more time.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So I just wanted to highlight how amazing the soundtrack in Spirit of Justice is:

Even the Cross Examination theme is good!!!

Literally one of the best songs in the game:

I'm not quite as far as Fishin but I like P5 negotiation better than P2 negotiation, which I preferred over shuffle time. The only other thoughts I really have to share are: ps4>vita remote play is actually really good, it can not be understated how stylish this game is, and Morgana sucks (though not as bad as Teddie).

finally beat Persona 5 at 122 hours played (I'm slow at Japanese so that number is probably inflated a bit, also no spoilers)

The overall formula is very similar to Persona 4, with all the good and bad that comes with, though there are a lot of refinements. It still has the same problem of pacing and where clearing a dungeon in one go is the most time efficient way to do things, so you'll spend a couple hours on a dungeon and then a couple hours on either story or social links. There's a bit of an effort to split things up, with an "optional" dungeon that has quests that are required to finish a bunch of social links along with some actually optional ones, but overall it doesn't make a huge difference. Said dungeon is also pretty boring (basically Tartarus with worse music) and longer than it needs to be, it's probably the weakest part of the game. The tone overall is a bit darker which I don't prefer personally.

The social links giving you actual abilities now is probably my favorite new thing, it makes working on them a lot more fun and rewarding than before. Some of them are pretty useless but others are huge, probably my favorite one is (not an actual spoiler in any way but I'll hide it in case anyone cares) the ability to fuse personae over your current level for a cost, which makes the MC hilariously overpowered. I feel like it's also easier to max them in one playthrough, especially if you make good use of the ones that make working on other social links easier, but my memories of P4 are a bit fuzzy on that point. I also liked the negotiation more after getting used to it, and it helps that some social links give you bonuses as far as negotiation goes.

There are a couple features that feel a bit unnecessary, like Skill Cards, which you can only use on the main character's personae, would've been great if it were possible to use them on party members like in Persona Q, and I miss the ability to order your navi character to do something instead of them just throwing around buffs whenever they feel like it. On that note I'd totally go for a Persona Q 2 with characters from 4 and 5. Maybe in another couple years.

Characters and story are on the whole pretty solid. I don't think I liked anyone quite as much as a couple characters from 4 like Kanji, but on the other hand I liked everyone better than Teddie or Yukiko. There were a couple spots I was iffy on in the last portion of the game but no major complaints.

Soundtrack is really good, the standout battle themes are Willpower and Rivers in the Desert but most of the dungeon themes are great too. Life Will Change is awesome in context.

honestly having a difficult time deciding if best waifu is Futaba or Makoto

tl;dr, gameplay is better than P4, story is maybe a bit worse, great game overall

I've been playing TF2 since July of this year shortly after the Meet Your Match update. I wish I have been there before the update, but I've actually enjoyed the game. I've established myself as a Medic main and plan to improve on my playing style as one.

I've recently discovered this large friendly server, and it's a great way to relax and goof off after playing some matches on Casual. I especially like to go as my bird Medic loadout and uber any Boxtrotters. Also, Conga Tornadoes are the best glitches ever.

I've been playing TF2 since July of this year shortly after the Meet Your Match update. I wish I have been there before the update, but I've actually enjoyed the game. I've established myself as a Medic main and plan to improve on my playing style as one.

I've recently discovered this large friendly server, and it's a great way to relax and goof off after playing some matches on Casual. I especially like to go as my bird Medic loadout and uber any Boxtrotters. Also, Conga Tornadoes are the best glitches ever.
You've made a sacrifice that will never be forgotten!

I didn't watch the whole video, I just skimmed through it. But I have to say, this is very exciting! It's taking what was good about the Wii U (with having a portable controller/console) and making it easier to use along with better hardware. This is definitely going to be a must-buy for me, especially if they are having games like Skyrim on there.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Today I acquired an SNES from a store near my house that has loads of old games and systems. They might even have a Japanese PS2 that I'll grab so I can play Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix.

I was paying solely with cash so I don't have any games yet, but I'm going to head back later and buy Super Mario RPG (they had like 3 copies of it so I'm not in a rush).

They also had an EarthBound cart for sale, but that shit's expensive. $250.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
They also had an EarthBound cart for sale, but that shit's expensive. $250.
Yeah, we had a local retro game store and he had a sealed copy. I did ask about and he said it was part of his collection and wasn't for sale, but he hinted it was way over £200 for it. He also had a Conkers Bad Fur Day for N64, again priced at like £150... I was going to get a SNES/NES from there when I came back from uni, but by the time I got back the store had closed :(

Recently downloaded some games on Steam. Among them, Dirty Bomb. Why aren't people talking about how excellent and fun this game is considering it's one of those "been in beta since 1999" games

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you already have a 3DS, is there any point in buying a New 3DS? The only exclusives are Xenoblade and the SNES Virtual Console, right? Or am I missing something obvious?

It has a built in amiibo reader and the C-stick works in any game that supports circle pad pro control schemes like monster hunter, and the n3DS XL has a slightly larger screen than the original XL. Some newer games like Hyrule Warriors Legends have poor framerate on the old 3DS as well.

I agree with the posters above re framerate and battery life, plus it feels more solidly made (it could just be me having a dud 3DS XL ver.1 - the top screen detached completely from the body after a couple months' use, to my horror I might add) Plus playing Xenoblade for the first time, even on just a 3DS, was fantastic.

I also agree with AA:SoJ being a great game - highly recommended! I always loved AA:AJ (Apollo's first game) and didn't understand why people didn't like that game as much. Maybe because it came after Trials and Tribulations... SoJ gave Apollo a great send off and Athena room to breathe as she didn't come across as too memorable in DD which was supposed to be her game. I'm still hoping one day the Japan only games will come out in English (Investigations 2 and the new Phoenix Wright's ancestor game), but I know I'm being too hopeful.

Looking forward to Persona 5 and ME: Andromeda! As always, those games are added to the backlog of games I have to play at some point. Any other new releases that I should check out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)