Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
In Gen 6, the games changed a move's type in this order:

listed move type -> moves that call other moves use the new move instead -> Normalize changes the move to Normal -> moves now change type (Hidden Power/Judgment/Natural Gift/Techno Blast/Weather Ball) -> if the move is unchanged and still Normal (i.e. not Natural Gift with Chilan Berry), Aerilate/Pixilate/Refrigerate change it to Flying/Fairy/Ice -> if the move is Normal, Ion Deluge changes to Electric -> Electrify changes the move to Electric -> Protean activates -> Gems activate if the Gem matches the move type

My question is, now that Normalize has the power boost the other type-changing Abilities do, did it move to where the others are? For example, is a Normalize Hidden Power still its regular type, or is it now Normal?
It looks like Normalize is still in the same step it used to be, Hidden Power and Weather Ball were unaffected by it.

Do the weather generation abilities reset the remaining turns on switch-in unlike in Gen VI?

And, for that matter... do the terrain generation abilities behave the same way?
No

the sun/moon got datamined week ago, why isnt there any confirmed information about the -ate abilities yet? the unconfimed nerf tbh sets my deal not to buy the game at all...
Because Gamefreak doesn't write out real ability descriptions, which the only thing about abilities that can be datamined. They have to be tested.

Since I've seen a few people questioning whether the Beast Ball can be inherited from mother to egg, I tested it.

Surprisingly yes!

Whilst not a battle mechanic, I have no doubts that this will seriously shake up the Gen 7 fashion meta.
so the beast ball can be use in any pokemon? what special propieties does it have, a catch rate boost for UB?

so the beast ball can be use in any pokemon? what special propieties does it have, a catch rate boost for UB?
You can use it on any Pokemon, I don't know the success rate I'm afraid but it seemed pretty poor, took 3 balls on a female grubbin with status and half health^

Very inefficient but still, the animation looks beautiful

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Much to my despair it doesn't look like they decided to tone down Sheer Force as they did to -ate abilities.

I've heard that Aurora Veil stacks with Reflect/Light Screen. Is there any truth to that?
That appears to be the case. From the OP:

• Aurora Veil's duration is extended by Light Clay and it stacks with Reflect/Light Screen (GingerNinja87). Aurora Veil remains active after Hail ceases (GingerNinja87). Infiltrator ignores Aurora Veil. (UltiMario) Aurora Veil is removed from the target's side of the field with Defog but not from the user's side of the field unless Defog is reflected by Magic Bounce (UltiMario). (yetanotherperson)

(1) Has Trick Room the same negative priority (-6)?
(2) Does Trick Room last 5 turns including the turn in which you cast it, such as in the previous generation?
(3) What is the effect of a Z-boosted Trick Room?
(4) Does Guts still ignore the detrimental effect of burn?

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:
Have they made any changes to the Illuminate ability? I was wondering since it's completely useless in battles and yet they still decided to add it to the Morelull evolution line in Sun&Moon.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Expected, but Shields Down is immune to Skill Swap (the move fails).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/screenshot_2016-11-15-02-21-06-jpg.73473/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/screenshot_2016-11-15-01-40-19-jpg.73468/

an in-game trainer has a Kommo-o with shell smash. it was only discovered because ditto transformed into it

edit: added another image with it using shell smash
Seems to be the Battle Tree, so my guess is that this was a beta Kommo-o that didn't get removed after they finalized its official movepool.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone check to see if Desolate Land and/or Primordial Sea have been altered in any way? A small part of me hopes that Primordial Sea will now "wash away" Ground-type attacks in addition to dousing Fire-type attacks, so that Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon are on more level ground (or sea or whatever).

Expected, but Shields Down is immune to Skill Swap (the move fails).

Seems to be the Battle Tree, so my guess is that this was a beta Kommo-o that didn't get removed after they finalized its official movepool.
that was my first thought, then i thought "future event."
wishful thinking but Pichu gets Volt Tackle by having a parent hold light ball, yet Volt Tackle is not in the datamine move list.
More Special Egg Moves like this would be interesting, but very very unlikely.

Not sure if this was even tested back in Black/White or X/Y days or if it's different in Sun/Moon, but how does Wonder Room stack with Power Trick? Are the Att/Def stats swapped before Def/Sp.D swapped (from Wonder Room), or is the Def/Sp.D swapped before the Att/Def swap? An easy test would be to use a Smeargle that knows Wonder Room and Power Trick and baton pass that to a Blissey.

that was my first thought, then i thought "future event."
wishful thinking but Pichu gets Volt Tackle by having a parent hold light ball, yet Volt Tackle is not in the datamine move list.
More Special Egg Moves like this would be interesting, but very very unlikely.
This is a good point. Seems like the case where the Sun and Moon Official Strategy Guide might give a few handy secret details. I've seen hidden info that people didn't know about until reading the Player's Guide in past generations. Special egg moves may be unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Edit: Pikachu learns Volt Tackle through a move tutor now according to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224248464&postcount=4078

Last edited:
Sorry I'm a little late, but I just caught wind of the "-ate" abilities being nerfed, and Normalize was included. Does that mean Normalize was technically buffed since it never had a power boost in the first place? Or, has it not changed at all?

Was skill swap with battle bond tested? I see if asked a few times in this thread, but no answer. Specifically, can Ash-Greninja be given a new ability and keep his increased stats?

This is probably an odd question, but with Burn status being changed to less HP damage per turn I'd like to know if they changed something else. Does it still only reduce the Attack stat? Asking because I'd love to know if Special Attack might be affected as well.
Maybe I got skipped over but I'd love to get an answer to this, if possible.

Does Liquid Voice Perish Song activate Absorb Bulb?
Does it activate if Primarina is holding the Absorb Bulb?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)