Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
because this thread is about battle mechanics research not in-game features left that stuff to the general discussion thread.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Any conformation on weather Receiver works in singles? I've read the first post - but I can't really make out the wording tbh.
Just a straight yes or no.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Any conformation on weather Receiver works in singles? I've read the first post - but I can't really make out the wording tbh.
Just a straight yes or no.
No. Only works in doubles "Ally on field" makes this pretty clear.

I'm not sure if this counts as battle mechanics necessarily, but is it possible to get an Aura Break Zygarde with Thousand Arrows/Waves? Or are the special moves from the cube only able to be taught to Power Construct Zygarde?

I don't think I've seen any answers to these so:

1. Does healing a Minior (through Sitrus Berry or other ways) bring it's shields back up or does it stay in unshielded mode.

2. Can you breed Battle Bond Greninja? If so, how is Battle Bond passed down, has it replaced Protean or is it just a third ability Greninja can have?

Abilities are ignored by the new SE check mechanic. It purely goes off typing, but its a dynamic check. If you have Weater Ball in Sandstorm vs a Flying type, it'll say Super Effective. If an opposing Normal Type gained Forest's Curse, your Surf would be labeled as Not Very Effective. If you have a Fire type move vs Flash Fire Heatran, it will just say effective.
It also bases it off of your own abilities and mvoes. For example, Thousand Arrows says effective on Flying type, but Thousand Waves says no effect.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anything new added to the Mega Launcher ability, or does it still only work on Pulse / Sphere moves?

Like is Hydro Pump boosted by it or nah? Or any beam attacks? Scald for funsies? Hydro Cannon?

Expanding onto that does it give the same power boost as it did in Gen 6?

If you use Pollen Puff on an ally, it turns into a healing move. Does it get reflected if that ally has Magic Bounce?

Pepeduce

PepeDuce, le seul, l'unique ! #SGZ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Hello everybody, I just need a confirmation (great job btw)

Z-Status moves apply their Z-effect before applying the move's own effect (ex: Z-Belly Drum will heal the user by 100% of their HP before removing 50% to boost their stats by +6).
Z shell smash removes user's stats debuff but Z-effect is applied before Shell Smash effect, so after a Z shell smash you still have both defense drop (if there was 0 stat change before), right ? Or can you confirm that all Z-effect are applied before usual effect move ?

Edit : Does Beak Blast work like Focus Punch ? I mean, does it hit the target the same turn or the next turn ?

Edit2 : It's pretty weird that Toucannon have Sheer Force with its movepool, does anyone has test Beak Blast with Sheer Force to see if there is a difference or Game Freak made a Kingler 2 ? Does rock smash still a 40 bp move ?

Last edited:
If you use Pollen Puff on an ally, it turns into a healing move. Does it get reflected if that ally has Magic Bounce?
Oh, and how does pollen puff actually work? Is it fixed healing (meaning it is actually a different move when used on an ally) or does it recover as much as the attack would have hurt your ally if it did damage (and thus acts kinda like an inverse-damage on allies)? Basically, fixed or variable healing?

And some more questions about the new moves that haven't been asked yet afaik:

floral healing: Is its recover boosted to 66% in grassy terrain like synthesis in sun?

Strength sap: Does it take into account attack drops/boosts? easily testable by using it consecutively^^
Gear Up: Does it work for the user itself, considering the description specifically mentions allies?

Fire Lash/Lunge/Trop Kick: are the effect chances 100%?

Purify: How much is its healing effect if it works?

Core Enforcer: Does its ability erasing effect work till switchout of the hit pokemon? (and after switching in again, ability works again, right?)

(Zing Zap,) Liquidation and Shadow Bone apparently have effect chances, but either long testing or datamining can solve the question of the actual percentage I guess.
EDIT: pastebin says zing zap is 30% flinch chance

Last edited:
Since it wasn't answered yet, how does Misty Terrain interact with Swagger? is the entire attack blocked or does the target pokemon still get an attack raise?

How does Illusion interact with Mimikyu?

Specifically, if it will always show up as it has a non-broken Disguise no matter whether Mimikyu's Disguise is broken or not.

Hello! Great work in here so far, everyone, you've been a great resource just like every other gen so like shout out to y'all, yr killin' it.

I have a couple of questions relating to Disguise, or I suppose one question with a lot of variables: Do any on-hit item effects activate while Disguise is up? I'm thinking like Weakness Policy, Red Card, Eject Button, Rocky Helmet and the like.

Hello! Great work in here so far, everyone, you've been a great resource just like every other gen so like shout out to y'all, yr killin' it.

I have a couple of questions relating to Disguise, or I suppose one question with a lot of variables: Do any on-hit item effects activate while Disguise is up? I'm thinking like Weakness Policy, Red Card, Eject Button, Rocky Helmet and the like.
Weakness policy doesn't activate if you don't take damage.

Not really a battle mechanic, but Pokémon hatched from Eggs now have an apparent 50-50 chance to be in either parent's Poké Ball - except for Ditto who doesn't pass Poké Balls. This greatly increases legal Ball options, including that infamous Dream Ball Aegislash.
Do you have any proof of this? This isn't so much doubt as it is we'd like this stuff completely verified, especially for something like this which is exciting for breeding and has minor applications competitively with the information revealed from a Pokeball.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
1. Does healing a Minior (through Sitrus Berry or other ways) bring it's shields back up or does it stay in unshielded mode.
It looks like Shields Down activates at the end of the turn, so a Sitrus will entire prevent it from triggering. Using another recovery option to bring Minior above 50% health will revert it to shielded forme at the end of the turn.

Similarly, Sitrus Berry will prevent Power Construct from activating, but once Power Construct is triggered it can't be reverted.

Both of these abilities are locked abilities, Gastro Acid and the like will fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)