Pokémon Incineroar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alola Panther-T ^^

Here's a really cool set I've been using on Incineroar. It's a special attacker that utilises Nasty Plot and Life Orb to boost its attack. The set was inspired by the one used on Mega Houndoom in OU, but it should definitely work well in RU. The movesets are as follows, however, the general idea to make use of intimidate, which either makes Incineroar bulk or forces something out. At this point, Incineroar is free to either set-up or burn something with Will-O-Wisp ^^

[RU Moveset]
Incineroar (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse
Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Hidden Power Grass

Set Details:
Available On Request.

P.S. I think the special set is criminally underrated, as when boosted, it can easily 1HKO Rotom-W (after SR).

Last edited:
Alola Panther-T ^^

Here's a really cool set I've been using on Incineroar. It's a special attacker that utilises Nasty Plot and Life Orb to boost its attack. The set was inspired by the one used on Mega Houndoom in OU, but it should definitely work well in RU. The movesets are as follows, however, the general idea to make use of intimidate, which either makes Incineroar bulk or forces something out. At this point, Incineroar is free to either set-up or burn something with Will-O-Wisp ^^

Timid Nature
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse

Set Details:
Available On Request.

P.S. I think the special set is criminally underrated, as when boosted, it can easily 1HKO Rotom-W (after SR).
I'm not unwilling to believe it could work, but I'm definitely somewhat skeptical. Got any replays to demonstrate what it can do?

Incineroar is not a bad Pokémon by any means, but I don't think it will find its way into OU due to its mediocre speed and meh defenses. It has decent HP and good Attack, however, which is good enough to get it into UU. It has an amazing HA in intimidate and great moves and great moves in Flare Blitz and Darkest Lariat. While its defenses are meh, they can take a hit, but I feel either a choice scarf or life orb will be needed to keep up.

Banryu,

No, some of the move-sets I have down are theoretical and based on past sets used on similar Pokemon. The special set I have down for Incineroar is meant to be used in RU (same tier as regular Houndoom).

P.S. I might have caused some confused, sorry about that. What I meant to say is that the moveset was inspired by the one used on Mega Houndoom for OU. However, since Incineroar is using the set, it should be and is most likely limited to RU (it could also work in UU, but its speed ruins its chances of sweeping) ^^

Thank you for the feedback, I'll be sure to edit the set I posted.

Banryu,

No, some of the move-sets I have down are theoretical and based on past sets used on similar Pokemon. The special set I have down for Incineroar is meant to be used in RU (same tier as regular Houndoom).

P.S. I might have caused some confused, sorry about that. What I meant to say is that the moveset was inspired by the one used on Mega Houndoom for OU. However, since Incineroar is using the set, it should be and is most likely limited to RU (it could also work in UU, but its speed ruins its chances of sweeping) ^^

Thank you for the feedback, I'll be sure to edit the set I posted.
Well since you're comparing it to regular Hountoom NP, talking about what it has specifically over Houndoom might help (Intimidate + bulk is a thing, to be sure, but if you're running a speedy build then comparisons are bound to be drawn to Doom who is faster and stronger on the special end by a significant margin. If you really want to sell it, you gotta show what it can do over Doom aside from set up easier thanks to Intimidate.)

Theorymonning is all well and good, but there are further steps that can be taken with it in order to prove there might be something to the theory is all I'm saying. Calcs, important speed matchups, being aware of vulnerabilities/flaws, etc.

Unfortunately AF, even if you were proposing that special set for lower tiers, it's still utterly outclassed by just regular Houndoom, who has a much better 110 SpA compared to 80, and 95 Spe compared to 60, and can run the exact same set. I think wanting to run Fire Blast/Overheat alone on an otherwise physical set isn't a horrible idea if you want to avoid Flare Blitz recoil and get past some tough physical walls, but a special set is not to Inceneroar's advantage.

Personally I think when Intimidate comes out Inceneroar will really be able to make for a good bulky monkey wrench. It does have 8 resistances after all, and many good support moves. It should be able to force many switches and find easy opportunities to set up Substitute, Bulk Up, Taunt, Torment, Low Sweep, Will-O-Wisp and U-Turn. I'd run enough speed for Skarmory and then invest in bulk. A Dark type that isn't weak to Fairy in this meta can be pretty useful, albeit certainly niche.

Alola Panther-T ^^

[RU Moveset]

Timid Nature
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse

Set Details:
Available On Request.

I appreciate that you are wanting to run a unique set. I love seeing creativity and the types of cool sets people come up with (after all I'm the guy who uses snore Sylveon, sucker punch Darkrai, focus punch Mega Charizard-Y, fly Landorus-T...). I feel that a special set for any Pokemon with decent mixed offences has its merits in surprising and beating its checks to its most common sets. For example, fly plus bulk-up Landorus-T can be run to lure and cripple bulky grass types which otherwise wall it (Tangrowth mainly). However, Incineroar can cripple its checks much more efficiently with will-o-wisp, meaning that a special set is questionable.

Let's use an example. If I had my nasty plot Incineroar out on an opposing Alolan Marowak, and they had a defensive Landorus-T, setting up a nasty plot on the switch and taking out Landorus-T with a +2 Fire Blast would work in theory. However, I could easily run a physical set with will-o-wisp, which is more effective in 90% of situations, to cripple the incoming Landorus-T with a burn. This means that from a teambuilding standpoint, it's much more efficient, because I only have to change one move to cripple/beat similar checks, rather than changing an entire Pokemon to a set that is less effective in most other situations. Nonetheless, I appreciate that you shared a cool set, and I might just try it out because why not :)

I'm really excited for Incineroar to get its hidden ability, whenever that may be. Just as a point of reference, it has slightly higher HP, Defense and Sp. Defense, and even slightly higher attack than Arcanine, which I can say, from personal experience, is quite bulky with intimidate and good to use in UU. So the prospect of a slightly better Arcanine has me giddy. The only things Arcanine does have on Incineroar is consistent healing in morning sun (Though incineroar can run the leech life for some kind of healing) and 35 less speed which is problematic, but the point of an arcanine defensive set isn't to outspeed a bunch of stuff, and it's the same for Incineroar. Once the HA is released, I feel like Incineroar will definitely be at least UU, if not possibly OU.

The OP's second set is pretty much what my ideas were for a defensive set so I don't want to be redundant. Instead, I'll share an idea for AV Incineroar which someone suggested as a possibility earlier in the thread.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat/Throat Chop
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake/Leech Life/U-Turn

This is similar to the offensive set in the OP, I'll admit, but it's better for bulky offensive teams, I feel. With the assault vest patching up your special defense and intimidate lowering physical attack, it's best to invest fully in HP to maximize your bulk, but if you want to check certain threats more so, then feel free to take EVs out of HP or Attack to add to one of the defenses, or even go for a defensive nature if you want to be more of a tank than a wallbreaker. Otherwise, you just want to invest fully into attack and go with an adamant nature to make the most of your attack.

The main point of this set is to just use your excellent coverage and high attack to punch holes into things and take hits. To that end, Flare Blitz/Darkest Lariat/Cross Chop/Earthquake is best for that, but Leech Life is an option for some recovery since you don't have leftovers on this set, as is U-Turn if you want to do a pivot role. When using U-Turn, you'll want to use it to come in on a hit, and then use its slow u-turn to switch to something frail. I mention Throat Chop because while it is slightly weaker, there are some scenarios where Throat Chops effect can provide some utility like in stopping Heal Beller's from... heal belling, as well as phazers with roar. Though that may be more useful on setup sets. I wanted to list it as an option anyway.

You do find yourself missing out on some of the utility options Incineroar has to offer, which is unfortunate. Mainly that sweet intimidate/will o wisp combo that will just cripple most physical attacker, but you have a lot of effective tankiness, more so than your bulk would initially suggest. All 4 of our weaknesses are sadly pretty common and SR will make our jobs harder, but if you support Incineroar with worthwhile partners that can deal with its weaknesses, like say, Azumarill, or something, you should find great success. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm really excited for Incineroar to get its hidden ability, whenever that may be. Just as a point of reference, it has slightly higher HP, Defense and Sp. Defense, and even slightly higher attack than Arcanine, which I can say, from personal experience, is quite bulky with intimidate and good to use in UU. So the prospect of a slightly better Arcanine has me giddy. The only things Arcanine does have on Incineroar is consistent healing in morning sun (Though incineroar can run the leech life for some kind of healing) and 35 less speed which is problematic, but the point of an arcanine defensive set isn't to outspeed a bunch of stuff, and it's the same for Incineroar. Once the HA is released, I feel like Incineroar will definitely be at least UU, if not possibly OU.

The OP's second set is pretty much what my ideas were for a defensive set so I don't want to be redundant. Instead, I'll share an idea for AV Incineroar which someone suggested as a possibility earlier in the thread.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake/Leech Life/U-Turn

This is similar to the offensive set in the OP, I'll admit, but it's better for bulky offensive teams, I feel. With the assault vest patching up your special defense and intimidate lowering physical attack, it's best to invest fully in HP to maximize your bulk, but if you want to check certain threats more so, then feel free to take EVs out of HP or Attack to add to one of the defenses, or even go for a defensive nature if you want to be more of a tank than a wallbreaker. Otherwise, you just want to invest fully into attack and go with an adamant nature to make the most of your attack.

The main point of this set is to just use your excellent coverage and high attack to punch holes into things and take hits. To that end, Flare Blitz/Darkest Lariat/Cross Chop/Earthquake is best for that, but Leech Life is an option for some recovery since you don't have leftovers on this set, as is U-Turn if you want to do a pivot role. When using U-Turn, you'll want to use it to come in on a hit, and then use its slow u-turn to switch to something frail. I mention Throat Chop because while it is slightly weaker, there are some scenarios where Throat Chops effect can provide some utility like in stopping Heal Beller's from... heal belling, as well as phazers with roar. Though that may be more useful on setup sets. I wanted to list it as an option anyway.

You do find yourself missing out on some of the utility options Incineroar has to offer, which is unfortunate. Mainly that sweet intimidate/will o wisp combo that will just cripple most physical attacker, but you have a lot of effective tankiness, more so than your bulk would initially suggest. All 4 of our weaknesses are sadly pretty common and SR will make our jobs harder, but if you support Incineroar with worthwhile partners that can deal with its weaknesses, like say, Azumarill, or something, you should find great success. Good luck!
Cool set, but run 248 HP EVs instead. With a rocks weak Pokemon, you never want an even HP stat, as you will lose 25% HP upon switch-in. Having an odd HP stat ensures that you lose 24%, meaning that you can switch-in to stealth rocks five times from full rather than four.

What threats does Jolly Incineroar outspeed that's worth running that over Adamant or Modest?
Also I hate how the Battle Tree has legal access to Intimidate Incineroar already.... We are going to be waiting for months to get the starters HA aren't we...

Jolly should only be run on the dual-dance set. It allows it at +1 speed to outrun everything up to and including base 110 speed Pokemon, which is a significant speed tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool set, but run 248 HP EVs instead. With a rocks weak Pokemon, you never want an even HP stat, as you will lose 25% HP upon switch-in. Having an odd HP stat ensures that you lose 24%, meaning that you can switch-in to stealth rocks five times from full rather than four.
Oh, thanks! Sorry, I'm a bit new to Smogon and stuff, and while I have read plenty of analyses from Smogon, I didn't think about the EV's thing. It's fixed now!

Also, I thought of another potential set for Incineroar that hasn't been mentioned here. Sub-Salac!

Incineroar @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz/Fire Fang
- Substitute
- Swords Dance/Bulk Up

Pretty simple stuff, I think. Come in on something passive or that you resist, substitute, and then either swords dance or bulk up. Keep subbing if need be until you hit 25 percent health, and by then you'll have got a boost or two enough to where you can sweep effectively.

Flare Blitz is way powerful, but it's not the best once you hit the salac berry range since you're really likely to knock yourself, so fire fang is your next best option though it is much, much weaker. (I wish it got fire punch) Flare Blitz does still work in terms of getting you to that 25 percent range, so I would still go with it, but just use it carefully.

As with my other set, either of the two dark moves will work, and will likely be your preferred STAB and with a swords dance or bulk up boost will hit plenty hard. Substitute is a requisite option for this set. And the choice between Bulk Up and Swords Dance is dependent on you. Since Incineroar will have intimidate, it is effectively bulky on the physical side without investment, but at the same time, against hard hitters, you will usually find yourself only with the option to boost once, and SD is the most immediate power boost. Bulk Up does still work and can make you really hard to take out on the physical side, but at the same time, since this set requires you to hit that 25 percent range, the defense may not help as well, so SD is usually better, but it's up to you.

The given EVs and nature maximize your speed and allow you to outspeed up to base 110 speed mons at +1, while making the best of your attack as well. The set isn't perfect, of course. It's weak to priority, and there are a decent amount of things will outspeed you even at +1, but it's probably the best chance it has at sweeping.

Last edited:
So, I have no idea what set to run on this guy. I'm halfway through Sun, and preparing to start EV training him. Here is the set I had in mind:

BoB2.0 (Incineroar) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life
Now, I have no idea how to judge sets properly, because A: I am very new to a more competitive Pokemon and B: I have no idea EVs, IVs, and Natures did anything until 6 months ago.
(P.S I am sorry if this isn't what this thread is for, but also take this as a idea for a set I'm throwing out here.)

So, I have no idea what set to run on this guy. I'm halfway through Sun, and preparing to start EV training him. Here is the set I had in mind:

BoB2.0 (Incineroar) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life
Now, I have no idea how to judge sets properly, because A: I am very new to a more competitive Pokemon and B: I have no idea EVs, IVs, and Natures did anything until 6 months ago.
(P.S I am sorry if this isn't what this thread is for, but also take this as a idea for a set I'm throwing out here.)
I'd swap Swords Dance for either Earthquake to deal with opposing Fire-types or Cross Chop to take out other Dark-types; Incineroar may be a bulky badass, but he's sadly too slow to try setting up.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GF moved 5 of swampert's HP to ATK and called it a new star spread.

Obviously Swampert level bulk with Intimidate when it gets it is impressive defensive potential (better than Landorus-T naturally) but it's all about whether the typing works.

With weaknesses to Ground, Rock, Fighting, and Water, you're pretty hard pressed to think of any physical attackers across the tiers that DON'T usually carry super effective coverage. The only ones that often don't carry one of the first 3 are Water types lol.

Not that there's nothing it checks... Weavile, Bisharp, Victini, Mimikyu, Scizor, sorta Metagross...

Generally though, I'd say Arcanine is overall more impressive defensively.

Seems like it'd be a great pokemon to use if you have issues with Tapu Lele/Psychic Spam as an AV Incineroar can rip through Lele and heal up with Leech Life against M-Alakazam who can't OHKO with Focus Blast even if it does hit. I see a lot of teams that are super weak to Lele/M-Alakazam and generally get swept once the one Steel type they brought is eventually dropped. Once it has Intimidate I'd say it'd have a good role in OU as a defensive pivot w/ AV and a way to patch up a weakness to Psychic if your team is weak to it.

Incineroar can also check Marowak(Have to be super careful with Bonemerang though) thanks to STAB Darkest Lariat and OHKO Heatran with Earthquake - Two Fire types that should be really common in OU. Fire/Dark may not be great defensively, but Intimidate & Assault Vest can patch that up thanks to hit well rounded defensive stats. From there Fire/Dark threatens so much and Incineroar has a pretty big list of pokemon he checks/counters that are relevant in today's meta based on his coverage moves and typing. Tyranitar and Heatran both can't switch in safely and he shuts down Psychic Spam pretty well.

I think people are either over-estimating him or under-estimating him because Intimidate is not released yet and it's hard to really talk about this pokemon without that as it just adds so much to his potential. However, right now he feels super underrated and I'm sure someone will find a way to make him shine and bring him into the spotlight(albeit after the release of Intimidate).

is this thing's speed bad enough to make a Scarf not worth it? With max HP investment it's more than adequate without life orb...

Could this shitty ass Verlisify set be any kind of good? :P
There are so many flaws with that set. It's a set that is trying to accomplish too much at one time and in all honestly is confused on what it should be. It's running offensive EVs yet has bulldoze and a sitrus berry? Not to mention how he also slashed on bulk up even though A) this lacks fire STAB (lol) and B) has no way of avoiding status (lum, sub), which makes it a suboptimal for setup. I don't know how anyone takes his sets, which he clearly doesn't test or research, seriously. What a twat.

Edit: Didn't know if you were serious but if not then this isn't the place for memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)