Unpopular opinions

Made an account just to post this.

The game's "team" story is stupid garbage. Every single one of them has been capital d Dumb. Even rocket is really stupid. They're all just cartoon villains. All of this is fine, since the game is engineered towards and for children, which may be another unpopular opinion, but is pretty much the truth. But people who think one is better than another are really just comparing a 3/10 to a 2/10.

For instance, saying Ruby is stupider than White/White 2 is silly in a world where actual adult entertainment exists. Not to say some kids stuff isn't well plotted, but I am saying every single Pokemon game isn't.

I would rather have sixteen gyms that are rechallengeable after beating the elite 4, who are also able to be challenged again, than chase around Grimer and Rattata trainer number 457. Give me more challenges along the lines of 'being the very best" rather than "play part time Batman"

Opinion number 2

Just lock the Pokedex between versions rather than having a National Dex that is hidden behind using a stupid peripheral to actually finish it and use events that basically never happen outside of Japan, which is funny since I'm pretty sure just NYC, San Fran, Seattle, and LA sell more units than all of glorious Nippon.

Just say "Yeah, these 200 dudes are in Sinnoh. You can't catch other dudes there." Rather than have 600 slots with 50 holes where you have to jump through ridiculous hoops to fill them. I'm looking at you FRLG, with your XD and Coliseum bs.

Number three

Super Training is neat, Hyper Training is a neat idea. Not having both in one game is silliness. Honestly, opinion 3 is that Sun and Moon were a huge and hilarious step backwards in terms of game design. They're kind of a mess, from the fishing spots to hiding the new dudes behind hilarious encounter rates, to the Battle Tree, to the baffling lack of Alola Dex entries on mons, to the lack of a real post game. It felt like a "wait, that's it?" deal.

Made an account just to post this.

The game's "team" story is stupid garbage. Every single one of them has been capital d Dumb. Even rocket is really stupid. They're all just cartoon villains. All of this is fine, since the game is engineered towards and for children, which may be another unpopular opinion, but is pretty much the truth. But people who think one is better than another are really just comparing a 3/10 to a 2/10.

For instance, saying Ruby is stupider than White/White 2 is silly in a world where actual adult entertainment exists. Not to say some kids stuff isn't well plotted, but I am saying every single Pokemon game isn't.

I would rather have sixteen gyms that are rechallengeable after beating the elite 4, who are also able to be challenged again, than chase around Grimer and Rattata trainer number 457. Give me more challenges along the lines of 'being the very best" rather than "play part time Batman"
Did you just insult the rhyming Skull grunts? How dare you!

In all seriousness, I get where this comes from, although I don't really agree with it. Comparing it to other great games, sure, there are definite flaws that show themselves (especially teams not called Rocket/Skull although they have their own issues) but it isn't totally abysmal, as you seem to be implying.

For instance, saying Ruby is stupider than White/White 2 is silly in a world where actual adult entertainment exists.
It's not silly to say X is better than Y at all even if better options (in this case "actual adult entertainment") exist. Please explain how exactly it is silly.

My sense is that SM were a bit rushed, they couldn't really afford to delay the game when it represented the 3DS's last hurrah. The most obvious thing is the way the game lags horrendously in double battles (which, unusually for Nintendo who normally deal with these things quickly, hasn't been patched yet and doesn't look like it will).

As for the game design, surely getting rid of HMs (which was long overdue) alone compensates for most of the stuff you mention. Though it does seem dumb to me that Charizard appears in the Poke Ride but not the Alola Dex.

My sense is that SM were a bit rushed, they couldn't really afford to delay the game when it represented the 3DS's last hurrah. The most obvious thing is the way the game lags horrendously in double battles (which, unusually for Nintendo who normally deal with these things quickly, hasn't been patched yet and doesn't look like it will).
I don't think it is patchable. With trainers on screen for battle there are five (six for multi battles) srites on screen, which is close to (same as) the magic number that cause triple battles to lag last gen.

Razor Claws not being sold by the Battle Tree is great because they're easy enough to farm and Weavile jumps up to being something valuable in the GTS, making filling the Dex without a reliable trading partner, random trading much easier.

Razor Claws not being sold by the Battle Tree is great because they're easy enough to farm and Weavile jumps up to being something valuable in the GTS, making filling the Dex without a reliable trading partner, random trading much easier.
Jangmo-o has a 5% chance of spawning which is bad enough and the chance of it holding a Razor Claw is 5%. Kommo-o has a 50% chance of holding it but Kommo-o is an SOS exclusive and is a 1% SOS counter off a 5% encounter rate Pokemon. That makes the best possible chance of finding it 0.25%. Get a Compound Eyes Pokemon and it raises to 1%. Please tell me how this is "easy enough to farm".

Jangmo-o has a 5% chance of spawning which is bad enough and the chance of it holding a Razor Claw is 5%. Kommo-o has a 50% chance of holding it but Kommo-o is an SOS exclusive and is a 1% SOS counter off a 5% encounter rate Pokemon. That makes the best possible chance of finding it 0.25%. Get a Compound Eyes Pokemon and it raises to 1%. Please tell me how this is "easy enough to farm".
I got one on my very first Jangmo-o. Talk about sheer luck.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I feel that all Pokemon games should've been as difficult as Sun and Moon.
Just so that people aren't saying "Pokemon is for retards" "Pokemon games is not the same level as ____ games" or "Pokemon is simply not challenging".

The worst part is the spawn chance for Jangmo-o, honestly.

First, Jangmo-o False-Swiped and Adrenaline Orb'd has a pretty nice SOS call chance, so you can you can cycle through the Hakamo-os relatively quickly.

All Jangmo knows is going to be Iron Defense, Screech, Bulk Up, and Dragon Claw; throw a fairy up there and what can it do to you, and the PP total is pretty nice, so you don't have to worry about Struggle. Hakamo is Bulk Up, Screech, Headbutt and Dragon Claw, I believe; the two attacking moves are definitely Headbutt and Dragon Claw, meaning Klefki walls it well even at -6 Defense and Mimikyu literally laughs at it. Both learn Thief.

The entire premise is to just Thief + Play Rough and continually cycle through the SOS calls the Jangmo makes , meaning each Jangmo you encounter is guaranteed to give you a Razor Claw. For pure efficiency and for arguments sake, you could have multiple Klefki / Mimikyu to get up to 5 Razor Claws per 5% encounter rate (assuming you have the one Pokè there just for False Swiping). It only takes like maybe 10-15 Hakamo's max per one, which is like three minutes of hitting Thief + Play Rough, and sometimes Adrenaline Orb to buy turns. If you get a Kommo-o, that's a solid chance of a Razor Claw right there above the norm I'm using.

Edit: Technically, a strong enough dark type could just OHKO with Thief, speeding the entire process up, but having -6 defense and eating a +6 Dragon Claw from even a Jangmo-o hurts pretty bad. Also I had "Honestly, honestly"

Last edited:
I feel that all Pokemon games should've been as difficult as Sun and Moon.
Just so that people aren't saying "Pokemon is for retards" "Pokemon games is not the same level as ____ games" or "Pokemon is simply not challenging".
People who already say this (especially the first two) aren't going to be swayed by Sun/Moon, 99% of people who say this won't even play Pokemon.

The worst part is the spawn chance for Jangmo-o, honestly.

First, Jangmo-o False-Swiped and Adrenaline Orb'd has a pretty nice SOS call chance, so you can you can cycle through the Hakamo-os relatively quickly.

All Jangmo knows is going to be Iron Defense, Screech, Bulk Up, and Dragon Claw; throw a fairy up there and what can it do to you, and the PP total is pretty nice, so you don't have to worry about Struggle. Hakamo is Bulk Up, Screech, Headbutt and Dragon Claw, I believe; the two attacking moves are definitely Headbutt and Dragon Claw, meaning Klefki walls it well even at -6 Defense and Mimikyu literally laughs at it. Both learn Thief.

The entire premise is to just Thief + Play Rough and continually cycle through the SOS calls the Jangmo makes , meaning each Jangmo you encounter is guaranteed to give you a Razor Claw. For pure efficiency and for arguments sake, you could have multiple Klefki / Mimikyu to get up to 5 Razor Claws per 5% encounter rate (assuming you have the one Pokè there just for False Swiping). It only takes like maybe 10-15 Hakamo's max per one, which is like three minutes of hitting Thief + Play Rough, and sometimes Adrenaline Orb to buy turns. If you get a Kommo-o, that's a solid chance of a Razor Claw right there above the norm I'm using.

Edit: Technically, a strong enough dark type could just OHKO with Thief, speeding the entire process up, but having -6 defense and eating a +6 Dragon Claw from even a Jangmo-o hurts pretty bad. Also I had "Honestly, honestly"
It's still horrid >5% spawn rate.

Who thought this was a good idea? E: for the sole Pokemon to farm an item with

Last edited:
I wish shiny pokemon were more like Alola Formes. For example, Shiny Charmander and Charmeleon should be Electric or Electric/Dragon. Shiny Charizard can be Dark/Flying or Dark/Fire. Maybe even Dark/Dragon. The Red Gyarados could be Fire/Dragon or Fire/Water.

They could have different level up, and tm moves. But this could only work with Shiny Pokemon that actually look different enough to justify a type change. I think that it wouldn't happen with EVERY shiny, and I havr no idea how it would be done with mega evolutions but that if done right, could maybe add more to pokemon people are used to and give shiny pokemon more value.

I wish shiny pokemon were more like Alola Formes. For example, Shiny Charmander and Charmeleon should be Electric or Electric/Dragon. Shiny Charizard can be Dark/Flying or Dark/Fire. Maybe even Dark/Dragon. The Red Gyarados could be Fire/Dragon or Fire/Water.

They could have different level up, and tm moves. But this could only work with Shiny Pokemon that actually look different enough to justify a type change. I think that it wouldn't happen with EVERY shiny, and I havr no idea how it would be done with mega evolutions but that if done right, could maybe add more to pokemon people are used to and give shiny pokemon more value.
Seems to hard / annoying to implement. Most shinies at least have some colour change that is noticeable so this would be way to time consuming to implement. The examples you listed don't even look like they need a type change. Just because a Pokemon has a certain colour does not mean it must be a certain type. Shiny Gyarados might be red but there are no other indicators of a fire type there. Shiny Charmander still has the flame on its tail so it'd absolutely have to be part fire, as an example, but I digress.

It's a forme to most Pokemon. It's just not worth the time to implement imo. The value of a shiny was killed when they gave you a million tools to get one and increased the innate encounter chance.

That reminds me of Shiny Holon Pokemon in the TCG. Holon Pokemon are different types than normal. Many are done based off of color and so we have things like Shiny Holon Mew which was a Water type.

I think the point of shiny pokemon was just to be something special that was super rare, not to be some way to lock competitive value behind RNG. Not to mention that it would be a total waste for Game Freak to make special versions of each and every Pokemon that were anything more than a minor palette swap (which just took the next loaded color in sequence IIRC) just for the average player to run into only one of them in a playthrough (and think it was their game glitching out and run / kill it / restart their game lol. Alas, poor Zubat).

I do think it would be cool if there were multiple different colorings that could be found. I also think every 'mon regardless of shininess should look slightly different, something that Spinda shows is very possible (but would be more complicated to implement for many things). People would get mad if they hatched a shiny that had some tiny difference from what they wanted, but, hey, fuck them. It would add tons of depth to the species and make each individual shiny unique (or close) and that much cooler. (To be clear, I'm not talking about fundamental differences here, but things like, for example, the pattern on Butterfree being slightly different on each one, slight variations in Pidgeot's feathers, etc.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I would like GF to go back through old generations of Pokemon and give any of the Shiny Forms that is just a shade off from the base a more noticeable palette swap, that's all I would like them to change with Shinies. Shinies are sort of meant to be a, and let's admit it, a trophy (don't worry, you're still better than Lusamine as long as you don't cryogentically freeze them). They're a bonus, something meant to either fluent how lucky you are or how hard you had to work to get it. But that's it, if we do anything else with them that would change how they play and depending on the change it'll either give them less or more of an advantage (or someone would want to play that variant but find it unfair they have to go through all this hassle to get a Shiny). I myself once thought maybe giving a Shiny Pokemon a move would be neat, a way of giving some functionality to Shiny Pokemon. Nothing too broken, I first thought, how about a copy of Refresh? But upon further thinking about it I realized that, no, that would still be considered broken on some Pokemon, like walls who don't want to be worn down by Burn/Poison or Sweepers who don't want to be worn down by Burn decreasing Attack or Paralysis decreasing Speed/preventing attacks.

That reminds me of Shiny Holon Pokemon in the TCG. Holon Pokemon are different types than normal. Many are done based off of color and so we have things like Shiny Holon Mew which was a Water type.
Now that's something I wouldn't mind seeing. Not to the extent they did it in the TCG, but maybe have it so Pokemon could become type combinations that would seem logical. And of course you wouldn't need to do anything complex, in my mind you'd just charge a normal Pokemon with Holon Energy to change its type (though only its type. Stats and Abilities would remain the same, though to be fair they'd gain access to moves of their new type via TM, Move Reminder, or Tutor). That'll be what makes them different from form variants who can have different Abilities, stats, and entire movesets.

I do think it would be cool if there were multiple different colorings that could be found. I also think every 'mon regardless of shininess should look slightly different, something that Spinda shows is very possible (but would be more complicated to implement for many things). People would get mad if they hatched a shiny that had some tiny difference from what they wanted, but, hey, fuck them. It would add tons of depth to the species and make each individual shiny unique (or close) and that much cooler. (To be clear, I'm not talking about fundamental differences here, but things like, for example, the pattern on Butterfree being slightly different on each one, slight variations in Pidgeot's feathers, etc.)
Once again, I'm not so sure about that. Once I thought that, it would be neat to have a rainbow of Shiny Pokemon to choose from. But as you then pointed out, breeding for a specific Shiny would become more difficult. And since one of the the points of a Shiny is a bonus to show you worked hard to get it, it would be frustrating to have their now be multiple Shiny versions to get once again cheapening it. Also you'd then have people putting value on one Shiny color over the other and that starts getting into a slippery slope. No, better to have one Shiny (preferably one which stands out from its normal counterpart) for everyone to aim for than multiple and have people start giving different values to shinies within the same species.

The same goes for having sightly different body patterns, though I wouldn't mind if each generation had certain Pokemon sporting a different body pattern than in the previous generation (and holding it over if you transfer it over).

Once again, I'm not so sure about that. Once I thought that, it would be neat to have a rainbow of Shiny Pokemon to choose from. But as you then pointed out, breeding for a specific Shiny would become more difficult. And since one of the the points of a Shiny is a bonus to show you worked hard to get it, it would be frustrating to have their now be multiple Shiny versions to get once again cheapening it. Also you'd then have people putting value on one Shiny color over the other and that starts getting into a slippery slope. No, better to have one Shiny (preferably one which stands out from its normal counterpart) for everyone to aim for than multiple and have people start giving different values to shinies within the same species.

The same goes for having sightly different body patterns, though I wouldn't mind if each generation had certain Pokemon sporting a different body pattern than in the previous generation (and holding it over if you transfer it over).
Having multiple shiny versions would not cheapen them. It would do the exact opposite, but whatever -- keeping one shiny version is fine with me. Anyway, world-building trumps game-building, because interest in playing the game essentially depends on buying into the world. That a change might cause inconvenience isn't really an argument against it, and increasing the diversity among members of each species would inarguably lead to a more realistic world. It's absurd to think that every Butterfree looks like a cookie-cutter copy of the next one.

Such as Arbok's supposedly differing pattern per region that is not kept when transferred?

(for that matter, that would have been a fine reason to have an Alolan Arbok, but whatever)

Seems to hard / annoying to implement. Most shinies at least have some colour change that is noticeable so this would be way to time consuming to implement. The examples you listed don't even look like they need a type change. Just because a Pokemon has a certain colour does not mean it must be a certain type. Shiny Gyarados might be red but there are no other indicators of a fire type there. Shiny Charmander still has the flame on its tail so it'd absolutely have to be part fire, as an example, but I digress.

It's a forme to most Pokemon. It's just not worth the time to implement imo. The value of a shiny was killed when they gave you a million tools to get one and increased the innate encounter chance.
Still, I wish there was something besides a color swap.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nope, a color swap is fine, giving an advantage to an RNG feature is just pointless and stupid for a game that at least tries to have a championship.
I disagree. The change wouldn't necessarily have to define the VGC metagame (or even be competitive at all), it could just be something like "gain access to a specific in-game Trainer against whom you can only use shiny Pokémon". Shinies are, after all, the exact same as their normal counterparts, so I think they should have a way to stand out.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
The best they could do in terms of making shinies more unique is maybe increasing the odds of them having max IVs by a significant margin, kind of like how they were in GSC, except actually having max IVs instead of shit DVs of 10.

Anything else beyond that, like implementing different types would just be a middle finger to those unlucky enough to not encounter/breed shinies, or who simply don't have enough time to play Russian roulette with the RNG. It would only promote more hacking than what is already occurring, which is something Game Freak obviously doesn't want to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)