SPOILERS! Sun and Moon SQSA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahdow

Banned deucer.
I just reached Akala Island and I already like Moon better than X, but something that kinda bothers me is that you can't Wonder Trade from the beginning like you could in X.

Also since I'm here, I might as well ask; is my team good?

Dartrix (Lvl 24) @ Sharp Beak
- Tackle
- Razor Leaf
- Astonish
- Pluck

Magnemite (Lvl 19)
- Sonic Boom
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder Shock
- Magnet Bomb

Grimer-Alola (Lvl 19) @ Poison Barb
- Pound
- Poison Fang
- Harden
- Bite

Growlithe (Lvl 16)
- Bite
- Roar
- Ember
- Leer

Gastly (Lvl 20)
- Hypnosis
- Lick
- Spite
- Confuse Ray

Rockruff (Lvl 13) @ Hard Stone
- Leer
- Sand Attack
- Bite
- Howl

To my knowledge, all you have to do is mess around with Festival Plaza until Sophocles ends the "tutorial" and you can Wonder Trade.

As to the team, it's mainly A-Tier Pokemon with a few B and an S rank in there too. Provided you can evolve your Haunter, it should do quite well for most of the game, just from a cursory glance. The Fire Trial might be a bit rough, though, if you haven't fought it yet.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I just reached Akala Island and I already like Moon better than X, but something that kinda bothers me is that you can't Wonder Trade from the beginning like you could in X.
You can wonder trade from the same time you can trade normally. As soon as you reach the first Pokémon center you can do the tutorial with Sophocles and then you instantly have it available. It's pretty early to be honest.

The team doesn't matter. Just watch out for Totem Wishiwashi and you'll be fine.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Do I *need* an SD card inserted into my 3DS to play the physical copy of Pokémon Sun? Google was surprisingly unhelpful.

What is the best way to gain exp in the game? I'm looking to train pokes to level 100. I tried looking for a guide on this and couldn't find it. Is the E4 or the grass outside the Battle Tree better? I'm using the Festival Plaza to farm for Bottle Caps, so I'd rather have an option that doesn't use FC. Thanks in advance!

What is the best way to gain exp in the game? I'm looking to train pokes to level 100. I tried looking for a guide on this and couldn't find it. Is the E4 or the grass outside the Battle Tree better? I'm using the Festival Plaza to farm for Bottle Caps, so I'd rather have an option that doesn't use FC. Thanks in advance!
the e4 will give out more exp (higher levels, the trainer bonus). if you're aiming for level 100 that really is probably the best option unless you feel like turning off animations and just mindlessly grinding outside the tree for a while whil listening to a podcast or something.

Elite Four and farming Bewear from SOS calls are your best bet, then. But really, the Festival Plaza is the most unreliable way to farm Bottle Caps. Fishing at Poni Coast will get you bottle caps faster than the Festival Plaza ever would.
(higher levels, the trainer bonus).
Actually, there's no trainer bonus in SM, so there's really no difference between SOS farming Bewear on Poni Gauntlet & beating the e4 except for not having to deal with all the dialogue that entering and beating the Pokemon League entails. However, Bewear has a 5% encounter rate so there's always the chance that by the time you find one you could've beaten the League multiple times already. In the end it's really a matter of consistency over efficiency I guess ( why couldn't we have both...).

Anyways, the fastest way to lvl up to lvl 100 is through the Festival Plaza and I think our friend over there should be using it for that purpose instead.

Actually, there's no trainer bonus in SM,
Wait really?

bulbapedia said:
a is equal to...
  • Prior to Generation VII:
    • 1 if the fainted Pokémon is wild
    • 1.5 if the fainted Pokémon is owned by a Trainer
  • In Generation VII: 1
Wow, that's absurd. I guess that's one way to stop the level curve on your pokemon from getting out of hand, but...

Hi y'all, wondering if anybody has good tips for efficient / quick capturing of UBs and Tapus for SRing. I guess Beast Balls make UBs a fair bit easier to catch, but the Tapus have such frustratingly low catch rates. Anybody have strategies for capturing them quick (False Swipe, sleep, farming Master Balls?!) if I'm resetting for HP types? Thanks!

Shahdow

Banned deucer.
Is there a way I can quickly level up a Lvl 1 Pokemon? I got a KOR Adamant Magikarp from Wonder Trade and I want to put it on my team since I'm at Wela Volcano Park and Gyarados would be perfect for my team.

Hi y'all, wondering if anybody has good tips for efficient / quick capturing of UBs and Tapus for SRing. I guess Beast Balls make UBs a fair bit easier to catch, but the Tapus have such frustratingly low catch rates. Anybody have strategies for capturing them quick (False Swipe, sleep, farming Master Balls?!) if I'm resetting for HP types? Thanks!
False Swipe + Spore (I used Parasect) with a fainted Synchronize user in front is always a safe bet however with the Tapus you need to stall or reset terrain turns to Spore Koko and get Bulu to 1hp. But since Bulu is grass type you're best using Thunder Wave and Fini has access to Aqua Ring so wait until it uses that and then burn to negate its recovery. Once they're at 1hp and status-ed start spamming your ball of choice. UBs have such a high catch rate with Beast Balls that after getting them down to under 50% health it should only take a couple of balls to catch them. Save before your encounter, after catching fly to the daycare to check HP, rinse and repeat. Took me a weekend to get all post game legendaries with right natures and some specific HP including catching the Tapus + Necrozma in only Luxury Balls.

Is there a way I can quickly level up a Lvl 1 Pokemon? I got a KOR Adamant Magikarp from Wonder Trade and I want to put it on my team since I'm at Wela Volcano Park and Gyarados would be perfect for my team.
With how far you're into the game, the quickest way is to level grind against the highest level Pokemon you can find. You can do this easily by turning on the Experience Share and having it in your party while one of your stronger Pokemon does the killing. You can also boost the experience it will receive by playing with it in Refresh until it has two hearts.

Is it worth it trying to get an HP Fire Tapu Fini for competitive? The chances are very slim (1/80) and I already spent days trying to get a Timid HP Fire Tapu Lele, which I did (in a Heal Ball too!). Should I even bother with this once or just be okay with it's other moves?

For Tapu Lele, you're going to want HP Fire. Keep in mind the chances of getting that are 1/80. It took me forever but I got it. If you're going for a Timid Nature, I suggest running a team of 2 speedcheckers (first one determines whether it has a speed-boosting/Timid Nature - 138, second determines whether it has a speed IV of 31 - 149). If it's faster than your 138, that's a good thing, if it's still faster than your 149, then reset because it has a speed IV of 31 and there's no Hidden Power combination for Fire with a speed IV of 31.

My 138 was an Arcanine with Intimidate, which made it even easier for me to determine its Nature thanks to Intimidate vs. Psychic Surge. Then I used Xurkitree for my 149, which also had Volt Switch which I then switched into Snorlax for "Hold Back" or any False Swipe mon. Then I switch into Shiinotic which was my Spore Pokemon. It took me a few days but I got it. Good luck!

I allowed my Abra to evolve as soon as possible (lv16, I think), but it didn't learn confusion, which I checked it's suppose to at level 16... am I missing something here?

I allowed my Abra to evolve as soon as possible (lv16, I think), but it didn't learn confusion, which I checked it's suppose to at level 16... am I missing something here?
What we suspect is a glitch.

Basically, if a Pokemon is evolving into something that has an Evolution Move, at a level that evolution is going to learn another move, it won't learn the second move.

Abra evolves into Kadabra at Level 16. Kadabra has Kinesis as an Evolution Move, and learns Confusion at Level 16.

Hence, it will learn Kinesis but not Confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)