Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Turn 1 : Alakazam use Psychic on Tapu Koko, Tapu Koko Die, Machamp use Ice Punch on Garchomp, Garchomp die
Alakazam and Machamp were faster then my Tapu Koko and my Garchomp, so they one shoted them. (My Tapu Koko isn't Timid :/ I can't find one :( )

I haven't her :/ But i'll try to find one :)
Doesn't have to be Primarina. Any Water type should work as long as it doesn't have a Flying/Ground/Grass secondary that would negate the Ice resist. Starmie could work. Gyarados might actually be okay too because at least it would give you another EQ immune option to switch in for Koko.

I'm actually not a big fan of Tapu Koko. I think Tapu Lele is better with a Modest Choice Scarf set.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I had something weird happen yesterday. My Starmie missed Ice Beam against a Latios without any accuracy/evasion changes. I'm not too familiar with the Battle Tree or competitive battling in general. What happened here? Battle Video: AVXG-WWWW-WWW4-6B6J

Also, now that I think about it, how did Eruption KO Mimikyu if it should've done less damage the second time?

Hey guys, I had something weird happen yesterday. My Starmie missed Ice Beam against a Latios without any accuracy/evasion changes. I'm not too familiar with the Battle Tree or competitive battling in general. What happened here? Battle Video: AVXG-WWWW-WWW4-6B6J

Also, now that I think about it, how did Eruption KO Mimikyu if it should've done less damage the second time?
It was Anabel's Latios, right?

That... thing (to avoid saying a foul word) forced a miss on my Primarina's Moonblast when there was absolutely no other thing that would have stopped my win. I'm still very annoyed at that Brightpowder it holds.

It was Anabel's Latios, right?

That... thing (to avoid saying a foul word) forced a miss on my Primarina's Moonblast when there was absolutely no other thing that would have stopped my win. I'm still very annoyed at that Brightpowder it holds.
Yes, yes it was. Still snagged the win though, sorry to hear that. I think her Entei was holding a choice scarf, which doesn't explain how it killed Mimikyu...

Doesn't have to be Primarina. Any Water type should work as long as it doesn't have a Flying/Ground/Grass secondary that would negate the Ice resist. Starmie could work. Gyarados might actually be okay too because at least it would give you another EQ immune option to switch in for Koko.
I just found Primarina, but i don't know how to play her , any build ? ^^
I'm actually not a big fan of Tapu Koko. I think Tapu Lele is better with a Modest Choice Scarf set.
I think i prefer Tapu Koko, and my Tapu Lele is Mild ^^

Yes, yes it was. Still snagged the win though, sorry to hear that. I think her Entei was holding a choice scarf, which doesn't explain how it killed Mimikyu...
Haven't watched the video, but Eruption BP is based on HP left. With the absolute least damage rolls possible, Entei needs to hit Mimikyu once from full health and once more with at least 36% HP remaining to guarantee a 2HKO. If it got the highest damage on the first attack, it only needs 18% HP to guarantee a 2HKO.

Entei at 100%
252 SpA Entei Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 96-114 (73.8 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Entei at 36%
252 SpA Entei Eruption (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 36-43 (27.6 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Entei at 18%
252 SpA Entei Eruption (27 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 18-22 (13.8 - 16.9%) -- possible 6HKO

If all you do is hit Entei with a +2 Shadow Claw in between Eruptions, you are more than likely going to get 2HKO'd.

+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Entei: 108-127 (56.8 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
One more lose :( Fight 26 this time :( (Idk where find the code of the video,so i didn't registered it. I need my Primarina ^^

Haven't watched the video, but Eruption BP is based on HP left. With the absolute least damage rolls possible, Entei needs to hit Mimikyu once from full health and once more with at least 36% HP remaining to guarantee a 2HKO. If it got the highest damage on the first attack, it only needs 18% HP to guarantee a 2HKO.
I'm an idiot, I thought it was based on the target's HP...that makes more sense.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm completely lost on how to EV Minior for tree. The speed switching is hella confusing. What should I be outspending before/after shields? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? My Minior is 6IV Adamant for reference.

Okay, I've done some thinking, and I am suddenly having second thoughts about using Tapu Lele. I am pretty sure I am gonna stick with Mega Salamence and Toxapex because the former is just a great setup sweeper and brings Intimidate in to make weakening physical attackers easier. And he's got a Ground immunity to help Toxapex who in turn is a great all-round wall who can put the breaks on setup sweepers and tanks as well as shutting down Evasion booster jank and has a Bold nature with considerable Sp. Def investment to compliment Scald and Salamence offering Intimidate and it handles Fairys and Ice mons well. But I am not sure if Tapu Lele completes this core well if I am aiming for a long streak. What's a good 3rd mon to add this party assuming Salamence and Toxapex are here to stay?

Namely, what's a good mon that could handle Psychic and Electric types that Salamence can't solidly cover for Toxapex without becoming a liability itself? If it's a mega I am willing to replace Salamence with Dragonite though I would prefer not to.

Namely, what's a good mon that could handle Psychic and Electric types that Salamence can't solidly cover for Toxapex without becoming a liability itself? If it's a mega I am willing to replace Salamence with Dragonite though I would prefer not to.
The first thing that comes to my head is Krookodile, being immune to both types, and its weaknesses are covered by Mence and Toxapex.

Sounds good... at first, until you realize you'd need to wait until Pokebank to have access to Knock Off and Superpower.

There may be better options out there.

Last edited:
Given that Toxapex's Psychic and Electric weaknesses are mostly special based, it could possibly suffice to just find a mon with good special bulk that can switch into those moves and retaliate appropriately. And thinking about it, perhaps I should actually get rid of Salamence's Roost for Earthquake and focus EVs entirely into Attack and Speed. I can imagine that as I go deeper into the tree, it'll become much harder to find an opportunity to Roost productively. Perhaps it'd be better to just run Earthquake to kill Electric types quickly and improve my matchup against Steel types as Substitute is mostly for scouting status, not tanking. To get the most out of it would require more EVs in bulk which would hurt sweeping capabilities.

And if I go this route what would be a good choice? It has to at least be able to switch into either Psychic or Electric type moves effectively while having good all round bulk. I imagine a Steel type would probably be a good idea here. Swords Dance Aegislash maybe? Since Ghost is strong against itself, I would really only be adding a Dark weakness to the mix and Toxapex can probably handle most Dark types.

The first thing that comes to my head is Krookodile, being immune to both types, and its weaknesses are covered by Mence and Toxapex.

Sounds good... at first, until you realize you'd need to wait until Pokebank to have access to Knock Off and Superpower.

There may be better options out there.
There is also A-Dugtrio, but Krookodile is better.
You don't really need Superpower or Knock Off. Just EQ, Crunch and whatever utility or coverage moves you want. Fire Fang, Taunt, Substitute, Protect, etc.

Maybe just do an Adamant Scarf set. You don't need much bulk if you switch into an immune attack aimed at Toxapex and KO before they can attack. EQ / Crunch / Rock Slide / Fire Fang gives you perfect neutral coverage, 2/3 of which you hit for super effective. Gives you another Intimidate option too. Also get Rock resist for Salamence. Really good combined with Intimidate.

Last edited:
There is also A-Dugtrio, but Krookodile is better.
You don't really need Superpower or Knock Off. Just EQ, Crunch and whatever utility or coverage moves you want. Fire Fang, Taunt, Substitute, Protect, etc.

Maybe just do an Adamant Scarf set. You don't need much bulk if you switch into an immune attack aimed at Toxapex and KO before they can attack. EQ / Crunch / Rock Slide / Fire Fang gives you perfect neutral coverage, 2/3 of which you hit for super effective. Gives you another Intimidate option too. Also get Rock resist for Salamence. Really good combined with Intimidate.
That Adamant Scarf idea actually sounds cool as it'd bypass the issue of Krookodile's frailty against anything I'd actually want him to take on. And if I did that, should I

A. Keep Earthquake on Salamence.
B. Lead Toxapex who'll likely invite stuff the other guys can switch into and go ham on?

That Adamant Scarf idea actually sounds cool as it'd bypass the issue of Krookodile's frailty against anything I'd actually want him to take on. And if I did that, should I

A. Keep Earthquake on Salamence.
B. Lead Toxapex who'll likely invite stuff the other guys can switch into and go ham on?
I would keep Roost on Salamence. After some Intimidate shuffling, you can set up a Sub(to prevent getting screwed by a critical hit) and boost to infinity. Roost lets you set up more Subs as needed. Lead Salamence to get the Intimidate and then switch as necessary. Both partners will appreciate a -1 Atk before switching in. Don't be afraid to use Toxapex as a pivot before going to Krookodile if you need to. Regenerator is good for that type of thing.

I would keep Roost on Salamence. After some Intimidate shuffling, you can set up a Sub(to prevent getting screwed by a critical hit) and boost to infinity. Roost lets you set up more Subs as needed. Lead Salamence to get the Intimidate and then switch as necessary. Both partners will appreciate a -1 Atk before switching in. Don't be afraid to use Toxapex as a pivot before going to Krookodile if you need to. Regenerator is good for that type of thing.
That sounds good. Now that I'll be running a Ground type, Salamence having Earthquake isn't as necessary so I can just stick to return. Now I am more glad that I put 216 EVs into Bold Mareanie's Sp. Def as now Toxapex can serve as the special wall while still taking physical attacks courtesy of the nature and Intimidates. But on that note, should I run Intimdate on Krookodile over Moxie? The XYORAS Scarf set has Moxie on it and since I have to go Scarf and use Rock Slide it could miss out on some key KOs and it'd improve its ability as revenge killer. I guess it's a question of having a constant source of Intimidate or Krookodile being able to make up for being locked into one move.

That sounds good. Now that I'll be running a Ground type, Salamence having Earthquake isn't as necessary so I can just stick to return. Now I am more glad that I put 216 EVs into Bold Mareanie's Sp. Def as now Toxapex can serve as the special wall while still taking physical attacks courtesy of the nature and Intimidates. But on that note, should I run Intimdate on Krookodile over Moxie? The XYORAS Scarf set has Moxie on it and since I have to go Scarf and use Rock Slide it could miss out on some key KOs and it'd improve its ability as revenge killer. I guess it's a question of having a constant source of Intimidate or Krookodile being able to make up for being locked into one move.
It depends on how you see yourself using Krookodile. I don't see it sweeping teams by itself locked into 1 move, and I I think I would switch it out after killing whatever I needed it to, so Moxie doesn't seem too useful to me. If you see yourself in a situation where you pick up a KO the let Krookodile stay in and possibly get either another KO or get sacked to get a free switch for the other 2, then Moxie might be good for you.

Most Pokémon you would use Rock Slide on vs EQ are Flying type, and a lot of these are physical. I think Intimidate is better because it lessens the damage if you do miss. It also lets Krookodile switch in on physical attackers on non-immune attacks easier.

I will say, while Krook is good, something like bland ole Chansey could fill the special blob niche. Especially after bank when it gets seismic toss.

I'm completely lost on how to EV Minior for tree. The speed switching is hella confusing. What should I be outspending before/after shields? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? My Minior is 6IV Adamant for reference.
Mine was

Minior white Herb
252 atk/ 6 def/ 252 spe
Adamant
31/31/31/31/31/31
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Acrobatics
Shell Smash

I only wanted mine to get me the 50 win streak for the stamp. The rest of my team was Kartana as a lead and Tapu Lele. Minior was switched in when I knew a fire attack was coming and the shell smashed. I don't remember it being out sped by anything I came across even still in shield form and it 1HKO'd 95% of pokemon in shield form. I did lose my streak at 55 to an Escavalier with quick claw which activated every single turn and demolished my team. If you're going for the 50 streak then I'd recommend this set but you might need a more complex set for a higher streak.

(This is not my video and I take no credit for this.)
(This is not my video and I take no credit for this.)

I'm really suspicious of this... I don't have the proof to say he's lucky but this video seems really unorthodox in their literal team and the relative ease battling. 600 wins with Hail? Can someone bring some insight on this please.

First post here. I am new to the battle tree but I have been lurking for a while and I used a team very similar to one of VaporeonIce's teams from Battle Maison to get to 200 wins in the Battle Tree Super Singles. Team is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-155#post-6339607, though I can repost it on here if wanted.

Proof here:
img_0678-min-compressor (2).png

I thought that I would contribute with this team as I think that it is a very safe, albeit slow method of getting to 200 wins.

I basically used the same exact team, except I used Flamethrower instead of Seismic Toss since it isn't available on Chansey. My logic is that Flamethrower is good enough coverage on some of the things that I am weak to and that Chansey can't toxic in the worst case scenario where I don't have Salamence or Aegislash to cover me.

When you get used to the play style, I think this team can stall out or set-up on just about anything. I am not the best player, so there were a few times that I had close calls, but I think this team can be piloted by just about anyone if they want those 200 wins, it will just take a long time.

I have seen a similar team with Chansey having Sub and Minimize, but I personally didn't like not having any offensive moves and I also didn't like having to keep Chansey in. In a whole lot of games that I was toxic stalling, I would switch back and forth between Chansey and Aegislash/Salamence. On the other hand, it could probably be argued that with Minimize and Sub, I wouldn't need to switch. I seriously considered switching to minimize/sub at about 150 wins, but decided against changing stuff up while I was still going strong.

I actually lost a previous run at 157 due to me not paying attention and getting Chansey and Aegislash wiped by a Contrary Lurantis.

^ Wow nice work. I was about to post for getting a 50 win streak (and counting) on my first time through the tree but it looks like I have a ways to go still!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)