"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
Shortcut to this page: spo.ink/tree
Want to chat about the Battle Tree? Visit the Battle Tree Discord Server: https://discord.gg/QrsE2ep (courtesy of turskain)
With Sun and Moon officially releasing, it's time to discuss the Battle Tree, the new battle facility similar to the Battle Maison and Battle Subway.
Things to keep in mind:
- Regular Smogon and Orange Islands forum rules apply.
- Feel free to discuss just about anything about the teams and strategies you use, the enemy Pokemon and movesets you encounter, and your streak successes and failures. Theorymoning is encoraged as well. Especially early on, free form discussion is really helpful, so don't be shy, even if you're posting about a very early loss or a poorly optimized team.
- Reliable information on AI play, particularly with respect to changes from previous generations, is most appreciated. For example, in the Subway, AI Pokemon started to switch out when Tricked into using a non-damaging move. In the Maison, the AI finally learned to stop spamming status moves into existing Substitutes. An example of a possible change in Sun and Moon where confirmation would be wonderful: In the Maison, the AI wouldn't try to Trick or Switcheroo away Mega Stones that were introduced in XY, but would still try to remove Mega Stones introduced in ORAS. Has this been fixed? (EDIT: Thanks to HeadsILoseTailsYouWin, we have confirmation that the AI will still try to Trick Mega Stones introduced in ORAS)
- Similarly, gathering data on enemy trainers and enemy Pokemon movesets, IVs, EVs, and items is a priority. Obviously, actually digging into the game data is ideal, but manually collected data is useful too, if much less efficient.
- There's likely overlap with Pokemon movesets used in the Battle Maison, so I highly recommend consulting the first post in our Battle Maison Discussion and Records thread, which includes trainer and moveset info. It's also an excellent starting place when looking for teambuilding ideas.
- Please do not make claims about AI "cheating," be it through influencing probability (forced hax), coded counterteaming, impossible abilities (e.g. Wonder Guard Spiritomb), etc. UNLESS YOU HAVE SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE. Every generation, people make crazy claims about how the AI cheats. Many such claims prove demonstrably untrue, while for all others, there's been no solid evidence. If you want to post about how you lost to Sturdy Shedinja or the like, there had better be a battle video. I WILL EDIT, DELETE, AND/OR INFRACT POSTS THAT VIOLATE THIS RULE.
- Likewise, while it's fine to discuss improbable losses, try to keep the whining to a minimum. Sure, losing a big streak to an unlucky sequence can be maddening, but over a long streak, lots of low percentage events can and will happen. Our goal here is to focus on ways we can learn from frustrating losses and get better, by both improving our play decisions and our teambuilding. Excessive complaining about hax rather than looking at what you could have done differently runs counter to this ideal.
- Don't cheat. Streaks using hacked Pokemon will not be leaderboard eligible. [Edit: In the interest of clarity, note that this includes "legal" hacks. We've been consistent on this in all the battle facility threads for previous generations.] And I shouldn't even have to mention things like using other software to backup savefiles. No no no. I promise you, we have enough experienced players that suspect streaks get identified very quickly, and cheating to put together a streak of dubious validity will not win you respect.
- This is not a court of law. I reserve the right to reject sufficiently dubious streaks even without absolute proof of cheating.
- Super Singles and Doubles streaks must be a minimum of 90 wins to be leaderboard eligible. As it was in for the Maison, ongoing streaks will not be added until they reach 1000 wins. Requirements for Super Mutli battles are to be determined, but will likely be lower. I'm currently leaning towards 60 wins. These requirements are subject to change if they prove to be unreasonably high or low.
- If you'd like a streak to be leaderboard eligible, please include a link to a video of your losing battle. Given the issues with certain videos failing to upload, and version 1.0 videos not being playable in 1.1, a proof photo is acceptable, but a video is still preferred where possible.
- Streaks using QR Rental Teams ARE leaderboard eligible. But you must identify them as such in your writeup and give credit to the creator, whose name will be listed in brackets in the leaderboard post.
- Remember that in the end, this is all just for fun. So please try to keep a positive and collegial attitude. It really does make the discussion more pleasant for everyone.
- If you spot an error or omission concerning a streak dating from before the date of my most recent update (listed at the top of the leaderboard), please don't hesitate to contact me so that I can fix it!
- Because the changes to opposing trainers and Pokemon are minimal, Ultra Sun and Moon streaks will be included on the current leaderboard, rather than listed separately. When posting a USUM streak, please identify it as such. USUM streaks will be flagged with a "^" on the leaderboard. Because certain opposing trainers are Ultra Sun specific, and others are Ultra Moon specific, where the game is clearly identified, I'll use the more specific $ or % marker. But at least for the moment, I won't be retroactively changing the flags on old streaks.
Here's hoping we'll have a ton of fun competing to build some monster streaks! Best of luck to everyone!
Potentially Useful Resources
Battle Maison Discussion and Records
Battle Subway Discussion and Records
Battle Tower / Frontier Discussion and Records
Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records
*Trainer Data and Searchable Spreadsheets*
Sun/Moon Trainer and Moveset Data!!! (courtesy of Team Rocket Elite)
Ultra Sun/Moon Trainer and Moveset Data (courtesy of Team Rocket Elite)
Trainer / Pokemon Search Spreadsheet with damage calcs (courtesy of of SadisticMystic)
Sun / Moon Battle Tree Informant (courtesy of Level 51)
USUM Battle Tree Informant (courtesy of Level 51)
Trainer / Pokemon Search Helper suitable for phone use (courtesy of fusionsage) UPDATED!!!
List of minor changes to opposing pokemon sets in Ultra Sun / Moon (courtesy of Magicxgame)
Trainer Lookup Quick Reference (courtesy of Turskain)
Downloadable Searchable Trainer / Pokemon / Quote Spreadsheet (courtesy of Skewtr)
Battle Tree Machup Analysis Tool (WIP) (courtesy of Viefor)
*Threatlists and Speed Tiers*
Major Super Singles Threats (courtesy of HeadsILoseTailsYouWin)
Trick Room users sorted by trainer (courtesy of Minineko)
Tree Speed Tiers (courtesy of Skewtr and turskain)
Post-Battle 40 Speed Tiers (courtesy of Atsync)
Trick Room focused Speed Tiers (courtesy of ReptoAbysmal)
Fake Out Speed Tiers (courtesy of Runeblade14) NEW!!!
Tree Damage Calculator (courtesy of turskain)
*Rental Team Database*
SuMo Compiled QR Rental teams (courtesy of Smuckem)
USUM Compiled QR Rental teams (courtesy of Smuckem)
*Other Useful Information*
Probability Primer for Tree Play (courtesy of Coeur7)
(banner courtesy of Eisenherz)