Battle Tree Discussion and Records

My team reached 100 wins last night. I never dreamed I could make it this far so I'm over the moon. I'll upload some Battle videos later when I figure out how. I play in Japanese so the Festival Plaza and Global Link are a bit of a faff when my knowledge of Japanese is basically just being able to read the Hiragana/Katakana while having no idea what any of it means.

Same team from the previous page. Apologies for the lack of detail. On my phone browser on the train as I'm posting. Proper write up is on the previous page.

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
Ability: Corrosion
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs: 0/0/0/252/6/252
Moves:
- Toxic
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
IVs: 31/0/HT/HT/31/31
Moves:
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Disguise
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 0/252/6/0/0/252
Moves:
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough (Twinkle Tackle)
- Shadow Claw
- Hone Claws

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber > Scrappy
Moves:
- Return
- High Jump Kick > Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Lopunny ran High Jump Kick up until battle 92 when I switched to Low Kick after recommendations from Worldie and Josh C. Been helpful so far and I don't have to fear HJK missing anymore.

My next goal is to try and hit 200 and win myself the Starf Berry. Going to take a break tonight as all day yesterday was non-stop Battle Tree and I'm a bit burnt out. I know full well not to battle when I feel this way. Many streaks were lost because of this.

So far we're seeing a lot of Mega Salamence + Aegislash + Normal type on the leaderboards. Two Pokemon that more than hold their own in Ubers and resist all of each other's weaknesses save for Ghost, which is what the Normal is for (and when you consider that all your Pokemon essentially have Shadow Tag in addition to their regular ability, you can believe Shadow Tag Chansey would be beyond broken as well). With Salamence and Aegislash alone, you can set one of the two up on any physical attacker that has no means of boosting Attack (and several that do), and obviously a Pokemon like Chansey has special attackers on lock. I'm just past my pre-bank record now on my first run with Seismic Toss Chansey (obviously could have run it back with Toxic or Confide Chansey and taking better care to select the right moves, but no need to stick with an inferior team) and wanted to put the team here mostly to answer people's questions about how Chansey works.

Salamence

Item: Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate/Aerilate
Jolly nature
Level 50 stats: 171/187/101/104/102/165 (171/197/151/113/112/187 as Mega)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 Sp.Def / 236 Spe
- Substitute
- Roost
- Return
- Dragon Dance

Possible EV change: Mimikyu3 has a 1/16th chance of OHKOing MegaMence with a critical hit Play Rough, which could be avoided by moving the 12 Special Defense EVs to Defense (Mence could break the disguise and OHKO with Return). I guess that gets the Porygons a Special Attack boost, but Chansey could care less about that (and if things somehow got rough with a Ice Beam/Tri Attack freeze and a bunch of crits or something you could always switch stall Tri Attack and Shadow Ball). Right now, I deal with Mimikyu by switching to Chansey, using Evasion and Sub to stall out its Play Rough and then spamming Sub to get it to KO itself with Wood Hammer recoil. Obviously could lose to that if it gets really lucky with never missing, getting crits, etc. but it seems to be manageable for now. On the other hand, Mimikyu would definitely KO with Rocky Helmet and a crit Play Rough, so it probably is best to stay with the Chansey plan.

Aegislash

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Level 50 stats: 167/112/170/63/170/81
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

I was a relative latecomer to using Aegislash in the Maison but have gotten more comfortable with using Stance Change to manipulate what the opponent will use. For example, I switch Aegislash in on Tyranitar leads, and if it uses Dragon Dance on the switch I King's Shield. If Tyranitar DDs again (to get to +1 Attack) that's obviously not good, but then I do another switch back and forth between Mence and Aegislash so Aegislash can take some damage from Rock Slide, ensuring that Crunch would KO the following turn. Then I can be pretty much assured Tyranitar will Crunch into King's Shield and then DD again to get its Attack back up to at least +0, which buys a turn to Sacred Sword. That doesn't KO thanks to Chople Berry, but then Aegislash in Blade Forme is going to get Crunched again the following turn, so you can repeat the pattern.

Chansey

Item: Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
EVs: 244 Def / 20 Sp.Def / 244 Spe
Level 50 stats: 325/9/56/44/128/111
- Substitute
- Minimize
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

While I like the creativity on the Silvally and Type:Null sets, Chansey has the flexiblity in many cases to decide whether it wants to cripple then opposing lead (through PP stalling) or set up and attempt to sweep on its own, and it has the special bulk (and ability) to care less than anything else does about critical hits, flinches, Special Defense drops, and status effects. RXHG-WWWW-WWW5-X92T is a good example of this versatility: normally I would have switched Chansey into Empoleon to set up, but it pissed me off by freezing it with Blizzard on the switch (and also for all the times I had to PP stall it for even longer before Seismic Toss Chansey was available), so I went on to PP stall it out of Surf and bring Salamence in to Sub stall the remaining 4 Blizzards and set up all the way. If you're constantly on the lookout for opportunities like that (and sometimes you may have to use Aegislash as a pivot to get Mence back in safely), you'll pretty much never have to worry about Chansey running out of PP.

So the team is working well, I'm at 400+ wins in a row, but it's not perfect. Different attack-boosting leads could punch pretty big holes in this team if they're getting crits or unexpectedly boost or attack when I'm expecting the opposite, and that would leave me at the mercy of the matchup of whatever 2-on-2 or 1-on-2 ensues. Hopefully this can get 1,000, 2,000, whatever, but I'm not going to act like I have enough experience in the Tree to know how it will hold up against every combination of threats out there.

Anyway, that brings me to my main point. I have a Truant team that I think is ready to go. I've been saving battles this streak against leads that I want to do some mock battles against. However, when I go to do a mock battle and select the Durant team, I get a message saying that there is a problem with one of the Pokemon and I can't do a mock battle. At first I thought it was due to some update issue where it had some issues with post-bank Pokemon or moves, but I'm able to do practice battles and upload videos with the above team. Then I thought it was maybe an issue with post-Bank Pokemon and not moves, but I was able to do a mock battle with a Charmander in Durant's place. As a final test, I actually did a battle in the middle of my streak with the Durant team to see if that video would fail to upload, but it actually was allowed to! So it seems like the only thing off limits right now is actually doing a mock battle with Durant. Has anyone else encountered problems like this?

So currently I *think* this team would be as good or better than the one I'm using in my streak, but I don't have enough confidence in it to toss aside what I have going right now and start winging it. Here's literally the only battle I've fought with it so far (D89G-WWWW-WWW5-X9KY) since I can't put it in any mock battles for whatever reason. Feel free to give it a try yourself , improve it, use it as a template for your own Durant team with a different sweeper, offer suggestions, or whatever.

Durant
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 4 Sp. Def / 236 Spe
Level 50 stats: 165/129/135/48/68/174
- Entrainment
- X-Scissor
- Substitute
- Iron Head (still not sure for this one)

X-Scissor hits possible Mega Absol as well as Espeon this generation (but then again, maybe it would be better to switch in Mimikyu and take on something different). Substitute is the best answer I can think of for Dugtrio 2, one of the leads I'd most like to mock battle. It outspeeds Scarf Manectric, with the rest of the EVs going to maximize physical defense and then 4 extra points left over for Special Defense.

Glalie
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Moody
Timid Nature
EVs: 176 HP / 4 Def / 140 SpA / 188 Spe
Level 50 stats: 177/88/101/118/100/136
- Substitute
- Protect
- Taunt
- Frost Breath

Different EVs this time around. The old ones had some Defense for Glalie's Sub at +5 Defense to survive a non-crit Stone Edge from Donphan or Technician Bullet Punch from Scizor in the Maison. There's no more Donphan, and the Scizor sets hit a little harder than before, so I'm putting them into making Frost Breath more powerful now. The HP EVs maximize the number of turns Glalie can PP stall a move while fishing for the right boosts or a miss against a non-Truant opponent, and there's a little bit more Speed than before for +1 Glalie to beat a few of the things that sit just ahead of the base 130 crowd. Glalie got massively buffed this generation with the ability to see its stat changes at any given moment, and Drapion is most likely nerfed due to Choice-locked Pokemon now switching out rather than struggling and the Knock Off-resistant Megas that can overpower it if not fully boosted.

Mimikyu
Item: Red Card
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Sp. Def / 236 Spe
Level 50 stats: 162/110/100/63/128/160
- Thief
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Confide

The panic button against leads that Durant can't or would rather not try to Entrain. Obviously the worst-case scenario would be the Red Card dragging another such Pokemon out, but that's what the moves are for. Even if Entrainment isn't possible, lowering the opponent's Speed and/or Special Attack can be more than enough to let Glalie set up easily.

I really have no idea how to play this team.

I met in my first couple battles the following flaws:
1. Team lead or pokemons with ability like roar, wirldwind to force swap
2. The second pokemon after red card triggered has ability like soundproof so confide doesn't go through
3. Simply get outsped or after using red card, met a typing that is super effective against steel before durent can use entrainment on it.
4. No other alternative way once you met the two above (which I met in almost 3/3 battles I tried with this strategy in the beginning of the battle tree, what are the odds, and somehow the poster can go thruogh this 1000+ battles without meeting those teams? Not really implying that but just curious.)

I searched online and also found other flaws, such as u-turn, volt-switch, those are attack moves but could change the pokemon.
I don't know how many more flaws are there in this team but it seems to be a lot.

I literally have no idea how you get through those pokemon teams, especially when they happen so often in the first 10 battles. Would you mind teach me how to really use this team?
I'm just curious and thinking this team looks cool but I somehow can't get through even the first couple teams.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I really have no idea how to play this team.

I met in my first couple battles the following flaws:
1. Team lead or pokemons with ability like roar, wirldwind to force swap
2. The second pokemon after red card triggered has ability like soundproof so confide doesn't go through
3. Simply get outsped or after using red card, met a typing that is super effective against steel before durent can use entrainment on it.
4. No other alternative way once you met the two above (which I met in almost 3/3 battles I tried with this strategy in the beginning of the battle tree, what are the odds, and somehow the poster can go thruogh this 1000+ battles without meeting those teams? Not really implying that but just curious.)

I searched online and also found other flaws, such as u-turn, volt-switch, those are attack moves but could change the pokemon.
I don't know how many more flaws are there in this team but it seems to be a lot.

I literally have no idea how you get through those pokemon teams, especially when they happen so often in the first 10 battles. Would you mind teach me how to really use this team?
I'm just curious and thinking this team looks cool but I somehow can't get through even the first couple teams.
I think GG describing the threats to the team can serve as sort of help:

Threats (lead position)
Switch to Mimikyu on turn 1 (if possible): Mimikyu, Minior, Wishiwashi, Komala, Darmanitan (ability can't be changed), Magnezone (don't want crit Volt Switch turn 1), Dugtrio, Drampa, Incineroar, Mismagius, Gothitelle, Turtonator (if Turtonator-3 is possible for trainer to have), Slowbro (if Slowbro-2 is possible), Glaceon.

Protect/Detect/Fake Out/evasion items: This generation I've noticed weird stuff where even something like Heatran will occasionally use Protect the first turn against Durant. The AI has also figured out that if you switch on the turn it uses Protect, it's free to Protect again the following turn, so you have to count PP at times. These will be touch and go where you try Entraining turn 1 and switch Durant out only if it's in danger of being KOed with a crit or statused.

U-Turn/Volt Switch/Explosion: I err on the side of caution and use Protect more often than normal. Once Glalie has 10 Protect PP left or so I'll see about trying to KO the lead rather than setting up all the way and risking getting the Sub broken on a turn the opponent uses one of these three moves. Against something like Magnezone-4 that Durant had to stay in and Entrain due to Magnet Pull, I can be reasonably confident it'll use Flash Cannon at least a few times before trying to Volt Switch, but past a certain point trying to predict what move the AI will choose is futile. A full health Glalie behind a Sub with 10-15 turns of boosts is a very safe proposition on its own, and if I don't like the 2nd Pokemon that comes out I can always switch to Mimikyu (or PP stall a move that threatens Durant before switching back to it).

Low-PP Choice users: The most likely scenario for a loss with this team (and I'm at least pretty sure I'm not saying this just because it's how the only loss in ~1500 battles occurred). Alakazam, Archeops, Heatran, and Manectric are a few leads that can OHKO Durant while choice-locked into a 5 PP move. When I see these I check the trainer roster; if there aren't too many other Pokemon that qualify as trouble leads I'll switch to Mimikyu (or hit Alakazam with X-Scissor). Otherwise the worst-case scenario is that the lead KOs Durant (in the case of something like Archeops, that's a 40% chance factoring in it being Archeops-3 and Head Smash hitting) and then Glalie will be at full health from behind a Sub after 9 turns of boosts and get a free hit with Frost Breath on the opponent's switch-in by the time anything gets to move against it. An opponent would need to have a Sub-bypassing move (Glalie at +1 at least 2HKOs all Infiltrators except Chandelure and Assault Vest Malamar) or 15+ PP of 100% accurate super-effective moves to have much of a chance of breaking through at that point. I don't know of any 10 PP moves a Choice user would have to OHKO Durant with, but that gives Glalie enough turns that it would take something really crazy like being at negative accuracy and missing a bunch of attacks against a bad match-up to somehow lose.

Z moves: Normally they're not a big deal because of Glalie's bulk but I had a battle in the 1st streak where Glalie was at something like -3 Defense 25 or so turns in and Arcanine's All-Out Pummeling would have KOed through Protect had it gotten a critical hit. So just gotta be careful of that.

Baton Pass: Ribombee and Decidueye are the main culprits here. Glalie is about as well-equipped for these as any Truant sweeper can be thanks to Taunt as well as Frost Breath being able to crit through Quiver Dance boosts, but Decidueye's Bright Powder and/or untimely accuracy drops can still make things a little hectic. Generally I treat them the same as I do Volt Switchers where I'll sacrifice a few turns of boosts to KO from behind a Sub.

Threats (non-lead)

Here I'm referring to stuff that has a shot of beating a Glalie that I'd consider to be reasonably well set-up (+4 or more in all relevant stats). If Durant is OHKOed or otherwise incapacitated it's important to set up as much as possible; the Special Attack EVs on Glalie were set to do at least half to Mega Scizor at +5, which would make it attempt to Roost rather than go for a Bullet Punch that could crit and OHKO if it managed to break Glalie's Sub the first turn it was out. Obviously the list increases if coupled with a bad lead match-up, but the vast majority of the time Mimikyu can come in and cripple something enough for Glalie to set up without Entrainment support.

Quick Claw: Sturdy Steelix-3 and Incineroar-4 are the main ones that can take a hit from a fully-boosted Glalie, break its Sub, and then Quick Claw crit to take it out. However, this is a very minor problem considering they first have to hit through boosted evasion. If one comes out 2nd and breaks Glalie's Sub, Mimikyu can switch in (in Sturdy Steelix's case I'd protect first with Glalie in the event it uses Explosion). If one comes out last, Mimikyu and Durant can take off that last bit of health. Durant can easily OHKO Malamar and do 54 HP minimum to Incinerorar, which adds to the 59 HP of Flare Blitz recoil and Frost Breath hit it would have taken from KOing Glalie.

Infiltrator/sound moves: Malamar-4 and Chandelure can't be OHKOed and can OHKO back with a crit. I don't see Malamar too often; if some Sun-exclusive trainer has it on their roster that's some unintended luck on my part and you should use a copy of Moon if you're trying to maximize your chances at a 1000+ streak. Infiltrator is a 1-in-3 ability in addition to the previous caveats about needing to land a critical hit and not missing. Infiltrator Chandelure in my experience will attempt Will-O-Wisp or Calm Mind first against a Glalie with boosted Special Defense, which allows for a Frost Breath 2HKO without even risking a crit. Also with Malamar I have the option of switching directly into a healthy enough Durant or pivoting with Mimikyu to waste some Superpower PP.

Heatran-1: Takes 4-5 Frost Breaths to KO even at +6 and has 20 PP of moves that will break even a +6 Special Defense Sub. This is the one Pokemon in the Tree that really requires some evasion "luck" to break past (to the extent that evading 2-3 attacks when a move has 33% accuracy counts as luck).

My streak has unfortunately reached its end at 110 wins. The loss was a tough pill to swallow and it could have been completely avoided if I'd done 1 or 2 things differently (detailed below).

Original write-up here. Only difference is that Lopunny now has Low Kick while she originally had High Jump Kick.

Salazzle (ギラヒム Ghirahim, F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
Moves:
- Toxic
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Tapu Koko (カプ・コケコ Kapu Kokeko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
IVs: 31/0/HT/HT/31/31
Moves:
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Mimikyu (ボガート Boggart, M) @ Fairium Z
Moves:
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough (Twinkle Tackle)
- Shadow Claw
- Hone Claws

Lopunny (プレネール Pleinair, F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber > Scrappy
Moves:
- Return
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Some Battle Videos. Hopefully these work, I only tested the first one. My character's name is Batt (バット) for those who are curious. Apparently nicknames do show up (I was unaware of this until I checked) so I've updated the team list above to show their names. Tapu Koko isn't nicknamed but its name is in Japanese rather than English despite being the EU event one (I really like that feature) so I included it.
CP4W-WWWW-WWW8-LRTC

VS

After I had lost to Red and Blue at 50 in Super Multi I was out for blood in this match. I hate losing to boss trainers. Straight up 4-0d him. Victory never tasted so sweet.
8KJW-WWWW-WWW8-LRTK

VS

When I reached 100 all that went through my head was "please be anyone but Cynthia or Wally" because both of them have the potential to carry Scarf-Chomp, something that is not only a threat to my team but is just something I've utterly despised since Gen4. Thankfully it was neither of those 2. I kind of feel bad doing this to poor Grimsley, he's my fave of the returning characters, but in my quest for a long streak sacrifices had to be made.
2DXW-WWWW-WWW8-LRTP

VS

This was a noteworthy battle for this team. Tamah led with 2 of the big threats to this team: Garchomp and Snorlax. Obviously at this point any Garchomp could be the dreaded Scarf-Chomp so I had no choice but to hard-switch out Tapu Koko which turned out to be the correct play as it was Scarf-Chomp. The Snorlax was also one I mentioned as a threat as well (the Life Orb one). Thankfully the rest of her team were trash and didn't last too long.

Looking through the spreadsheet and Serebii this appears to be Ace Trainer Tamah.
JJYW-WWWW-WWW8-LRTR

VS

And finally the most important battle: how I met my tragic undoing. I was completely unaware that Scarf-Heatran was even a thing so I was already off to a bad start. Salazzle going down early was not good as I couldn't use Protect to make my opponent waste her turn as so many opponents had done before. After that locking Tapu Koko into Thunderbolt led to my defeat as both opponents resisted it (Mega-Tyranitar has the special defence buff from Sandstorm so it basically does for this reason). If only I had picked Dazzling Gleam or doubled up on to Mega-Tyranitar I could have cleanly won this, or at least salvaged a win.

Losing is never fun but I can't blame the AI for my own mistakes. I honestly think I prefer losing this way rather than to some cheap hax, because I know what caused my loss and I can learn from it so I don't make the same mistake twice.

Looking through the spreadsheet and Serebii this appears to be Preschooler Naya.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with how this team went. I would never have imagined 4 randomly selected Pokemon could work so well together let alone net me 110 wins. In a way losing is a good thing as I can now work on making a new team and start a new streak without fear of possibly ruining my current one. I learned that the hard way in ORAS Multi...

Going to give the above team one more run while I work on my next team. While I've planned them, I haven't caught/bred any of them so it may take awhile.

EDIT: now updated with English Trainer names.

Last edited:
Um, I would say that's a clear yes. Look at it this way:
- You have all of your stamps, something plenty of people on here are still struggling to achieve
- In a facility you have observed yourself to be stone-hard, you've managed to hit 200 twice over, something several people on the leaderboard have never managed
- You have all of your Maison trophies, something else plenty of people on here never managed (granted, that's partly because some of them don't have Gen 6 games, but my point still stands)
- You have a place on the Maison leaderboard: did you know you are the only person in the Triples section with Chandelure and/or MegaGross?
- Apparently, you have work in Frontier/Subway that, as far as I know, has never been documented. Given how vastly different Emerald Frontier is from everything that came after, given how different DP Tower is from PtHGSS Frontier, and given how inherently difficult the latter is, that you had any success in any of these is a testament to your skill (and luck, I guess)
- With your Tree work, once your Doubles streaks are wrapped up you will have made the Tree leaderboard three times over. I'll drink to that (which is saying something, since I don't drink)

"Not completely sure"? It's an easier question to answer than you might think.
A bit of a late reply, but I wanted to say thank you. Reading this honestly made me very happy. I feel like I looked at myself and my accomplishments in both the Tree and other battle facilities from the wrong perspective in my previous post. Sometimes you need to get another person's perspective to realize the truth regarding something about yourself. It might sound simple, but that's just how I feel. So thank you. I am pretty good at battle facilities after all, guess I shouldn't try to look down on myself and what I have achieved, though I really don't want to brag either.

You also gave me an idea. Most of the things I have accomplished in the battle facilities in Gen 3-5 (and 2 to a very small extent) have been documented at other places, or I have them memorized in my head. And I can just go back to my games and check certain things there if I am unsure. But I have never made any posts which summarized my experiences with them in the same way I have done with the Tree here or the Maison last generation. This got me thinking: maybe I should? It would be great to have everything collected in one post (or more than one, depending on how long it becomes). And maybe others would be interested in reading about it as well? Though it will probably have to wait for a while before I can post it since I need to actually write and summarize everything first, then I also have several other projects I need to work on which have higher priority right now. But whenever it is done, I might post it here if it is allowed (I would guess so since I recall turskain posting a 4th Gen Battle Factory streak in the Maison thread, I also remember that Altissimo made a post about her experiences with battle facilities in previous generations in that thread). Either way, it will be a while before I get around to doing anything regarding this, so don't expect anything anytime soon.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You also gave me an idea. Most of the things I have accomplished in the battle facilities in Gen 3-5 (and 2 to a very small extent) have been documented at other places, or I have them memorized in my head. And I can just go back to my games and check certain things there if I am unsure. But I have never made any posts which summarized my experiences with them in the same way I have done with the Tree here or the Maison last generation. This got me thinking: maybe I should? It would be great to have everything collected in one post (or more than one, depending on how long it becomes). And maybe others would be interested in reading about it as well? Though it will probably have to wait for a while before I can post it since I need to actually write and summarize everything first, then I also have several other projects I need to work on which have higher priority right now. But whenever it is done, I might post it here if it is allowed (I would guess so since I recall turskain posting a 4th Gen Battle Factory streak in the Maison thread, I also remember that Altissimo made a post about her experiences with battle facilities in previous generations in that thread). Either way, it will be a while before I get around to doing anything regarding this, so don't expect anything anytime soon.
Absolutely:
- since it seems really hard for some others to visit older facility threads, it would be convenient, encouraged really, to put everything onto this thread. Also, there are no rules against putting material/information from non-Tree facilities here, so you're good there
- Crystal Tower/Emerald Frontier leaderboards have never existed here, and the Frontier thread is locked and stored in Thread Cryonics; this would realistically be the only place to put those Gen 2-4 experiences
- there has been a strange groundswell in people playing Gen IV Frontier on the Battle Tree Discord this year, myself included: we certainly would be interested in hearing about your work there
- StoneDos95 wrote up that long Emerald Battle Frontier Guide PLEASE HELP DEVELOPING thing a while back; with your Emerald Frontier experiences, he would have at least one other Trainer to compare notes with

So yeah, awesome idea, if you're able to get around to it. I'll consider it your version of Light in the Attic, so defintely take your time with it--all great literary works require as much.

Hey, I got a doubles question I would like input on. I am finally getting around to breeding Cottonee for my doubles team. It's ultimately gonna look like this:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVS: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Tailwind
Taunt
Encore / Endeavor / Protect
Helping Hand

But I can't decide on the 3rd slot. Encore could buy me attack turns in the right situation. Endeavor would give me an attacking option and take good advantage of the Focus Sash. And Protect would allow Whimsicott to live longer. I am not sure which would be most consistently useful. As an FYI I intend to have it lead alongside a Mega Blastoise with Kartana and Garchomp in the back.

Also which would be better on a Blastoise with Kartana and Garchomp as wingmates: Dark Pulse or Ice Beam?

Last edited:
The first teammate is Wally? I would honestly look for a different set because that Mega Altaria doesn't have the best moves for a partner. It's going to Earthquake your guy. But if you insist, I would use a flyer and a Levitator. Maybe something like Rotom-W for the first spot and Mega Charizard Y for the second. And I hope the Megnezone is the 4 attack moves one.

For the other teammate, it will be helpful to know which Mega Charizard it is.

Which pokemon would you guys recommend for Multi-battles with the following teammates: Mega-Altaria + Magnezone, MegaCharizard + Metagross
Mega altaria is often wasting turns setting up dragon dance and killing you with earthquake, maybe scout a scarf chomp (garchomp3) if you want a dragon partner. I'm not sure if you are talking about zardY or zardX, X will also waste turns with dragon dance, but with Y you could use heliolisk, a fire type such as mega houndoom, chlorophyll abusers such as venusaur and shiftry, or a scarf eruption typlosion to nuke the opponents. Maybe have a ghost type in the back because non-mega metagross likes to explode

In Battle Tree multis hell right now.

Especially galling since I made it to the 50th battle and lost on my very first run, the salt was real. I ran Mega-Gyarados (DD, Protect, Crunch, Waterfall) which pretty much perfectly covers the weaknesses of my partners Mega-Venusaur, had ScarfLando in the back.

His last mon was Charizard, I have my partially damaged Scarf Lando in with my partners partially damaged regular Charizard and have to decide what to lock into and at that point Stone Edge was the only thing I had that could hit both mega forms, turns out it's X and I miss Stone Edge and it KOs Charizard, then I miss again and it KOs Lando, then my full health not-yet-mega'd Gyarados come in and it hits three Dragon Rushes in a row, flinching on the middle one on the turn where I would have KO'd it - cumulative odds of both Stone Edge misses and the rest I think comes to 0.34%. Sigh.

After that I did a doubles run hoping to scout something better, reached 105 wins before the run came to an end (it was late and I was tired and sick so didn't even think of saving the last battle or anything, was using D34N's QR Team which is so much fun to use). Good doubles run, but bad scouting opportunities. Did get Kiawe with Mega-Kangaskhan and Salazzle, but that was really about it.

Since then I have had I think 8 runs at it, all ending in the high 30s or somewhere in the 40s. I have >2000 BP and nothing really to spend it on, but no 50 Super Multis stamp.

I think the Mega-Salamence/Celesteela pairing alongside Kiawe is probably better than the Mega-Gyarados/Mega-Venusaur pairing, but both seem solid.

Should I try and scout again, try some different mons alongside Kiawe, or just persevere do you think?

I'm wondering about a different lead pairing with Kangaskhan, something that doesn't invite ice attacks. Sure Celesteela switches in OK, but I got frozen and/or Kangaskhan did multiple times in various runs (I did actually win the game where both were frozen).

Last edited:
I actually reached in the leaderboard in Super Multi with Kiawe having those two Pokemon. The set he had was the Mega Kangaskhan with Double Edge and Salazzle with Fake Out. I also used Celesteela as my second Pokemon, with my lead being Latios with Dragonium Z on Draco Meteor. If you have them already, both Mega Latios and Mega Latias would work too, since both are very bulky and do not have to rely so much on a one shot move.

Hey, I got a doubles question I would like input on. I am finally getting around to breeding Cottonee for my doubles team. It's ultimately gonna look like this:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Tailwind
Taunt
Helping Hand

But I can't decide on the 3rd slot. Encore could buy me attack turns in the right situation. Endeavor would give me an attacking option and take good advantage of the Focus Sash. And Protect would allow Whimsicott to live longer. I am not sure which would be most consistently useful. As an FYI I intend to have it lead alongside a Mega Blastoise with Kartana and Garchomp in the back.

Also which would be better on a Blastoise with Kartana and Garchomp as wingmates: Dark Pulse or Ice Beam?
I think running Protect is best. You really don't want Mega Blastoise (assuming it's Water Spout) getting damaged, and a 1 HP Whimsicott would work much better as a bait after a broken Sash.
And maybe Ice Beam? Cause you honestly don't have the strongest ways to hit Grass types, though the power boost for Dark Pulse is really nice.

I actually reached in the leaderboard in Super Multi with Kiawe having those two Pokemon. The set he had was the Mega Kangaskhan with Double Edge and Salazzle with Fake Out. I also used Celesteela as my second Pokemon, with my lead being Latios with Dragonium Z on Draco Meteor. If you have them already, both Mega Latios and Mega Latias would work too, since both are very bulky and do not have to rely so much on a one shot move.
Yeah, I had seen your post - my scouted Kiawe pair has exactly the same sets as yours. I probably chose Mega-Mence for similar reasons I would think (SE fighting coverage), between Substitute/DD and with Kangaskhan's Fake Out I found Salamence was a really nice pairing (and a little Intimidate support rarely hurts). I so have a Latios that just needs a little EV training and may give it a go next. Main issue with Latios/Latias is they both also encourage ice attacks, which are a pain even if you do switch into them well due to freeze. Might look at a flying mon that can switch into ice attacks *and* use Scald or a thawing fire move, although that doesn't help Kangaskhan

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Tailwind
Taunt
Helping Hand

Protect on 3rd spot is probably best, seeing you are already running Taunt to shut down setuppers and statusers, you'll still be tauntfodder anyway, might as well use the Protect to shut down offenders.
You could consider just EVing spatk/speed instead and use Moonblast or GigaDrain as 3rd spot, in order to prevent the complete tauntfoddering. In the end Whimsicott is very fragile, with an awful defensive typing for b-tree and will still get focus sash triggered on first turn most of the time even with HP evs.

As for M-Blastoise, I'd still stick with the Dark Pulse due to the sudo-stab you get from Mega. (random TIL Mega Launcher also increases Heal Pulse)

In Battle Tree multis hell right now.
-snip-
From what I can grasp, you are running just inconsistent/risky setups. You should never run Stone Edge or any inaccurate move outside of Z-uses, with Lando-T being also a very mediocre pokemon for Doubles and B-Tree specifically, and running a Choice pokemon in multis is generally also a bad idea as it'll mean you will have to lock one move and likely have to stick to it for entire fight without a option to change.
If you really want to stick with Lando-T as main poke, consider Z-stone edge instead of Scarf.
If you instead really want that speedy frontline option, you should consider the likes of Pheromosa, priority user or other naturally fast pokemon rather than be forced into a Choice item.

I had considered Mega Salamence when I decided to team with Kiawe, but I figured that any Rock users that can down Mega Salamence will be able to down Salazzle soon after, so I didn't want to double up on weaknesses. I didn't experience too much problem with getting frozen between Kangaskhan's Fake Out and OHKO with Devastating Drake (Dragonium Z). Latios and Mega Salamence die in one hit from ice attacks anyway, but it doesn't do much damage to the other guys so the AI will usually use something else. In Multi, always remember to go after one opponent at a time to make it a 2 on 1 battle ASAP. I used Devastating Drake to eliminate the Pokemon that I know it can OHKO, then did whatever it takes, including sacking Latios, to eliminate the 2nd Pokemon from the same opponent. Once that's accomplished, everything else is just a formality.

From what I can grasp, you are running just inconsistent/risky setups. You should never run Stone Edge or any inaccurate move outside of Z-uses, with Lando-T being also a very mediocre pokemon for Doubles and B-Tree specifically, and running a Choice pokemon in multis is generally also a bad idea as it'll mean you will have to lock one move and likely have to stick to it for entire fight without a option to change.
If you really want to stick with Lando-T as main poke, consider Z-stone edge instead of Scarf.
If you instead really want that speedy frontline option, you should consider the likes of Pheromosa, priority user or other naturally fast pokemon rather than be forced into a Choice item.
That hasn't been a problem/isn't applicable for any runs other than the first, in the first I thought about the lead pair for Venusaur and then just threw a Lando from a box in there since it switched well with Gary. I didn't expect to get to 50 at all that run, was just seeing how it would go since I'd not played that mode before, else would never run a move with that accuracy unless backed by Z-Crystal. Not run Choice items outside that run either, I think they're doable in doubles where you control all four pokemon, but not as manageable here.

The first teammate is Wally? I would honestly look for a different set because that Mega Altaria doesn't have the best moves for a partner. It's going to Earthquake your guy. But if you insist, I would use a flyer and a Levitator. Maybe something like Rotom-W for the first spot and Mega Charizard Y for the second. And I hope the Megnezone is the 4 attack moves one.

For the other teammate, it will be helpful to know which Mega Charizard it is.
Mega altaria is often wasting turns setting up dragon dance and killing you with earthquake, maybe scout a scarf chomp (garchomp3) if you want a dragon partner. I'm not sure if you are talking about zardY or zardX, X will also waste turns with dragon dance, but with Y you could use heliolisk, a fire type such as mega houndoom, chlorophyll abusers such as venusaur and shiftry, or a scarf eruption typlosion to nuke the opponents. Maybe have a ghost type in the back because non-mega metagross likes to explode
My bad, I should have clarified. Yes, the first is Wally and Altaria loves to dragon dance, but no, it's the Magnezone that loves to spam T-Wave (IIRC, my previous attempt was undone at 43 because of that, then again, it saved me from going for full passport completion and having to take ten billion photos). Levi brings MegaZard Y.

Hello! I'm Looking a team that will go well with Mega Charizard Y in the Battle Tree if you have advice to give me not hesitate this will be nice. I am new in the forum i am from Belgium. ;)

Hello! I'm Looking a team that will go well with Mega Charizard Y in the Battle Tree if you have advice to give me not hesitate this will be nice. I am new in the forum i am from Belgium. ;)
It really depends on what format you want to play in, Singles or Doubles. For Doubles, you can abuse the sun a lot more than in Singles.

My bad, I should have clarified. Yes, the first is Wally and Altaria loves to dragon dance, but no, it's the Magnezone that loves to spam T-Wave (IIRC, my previous attempt was undone at 43 because of that, then again, it saved me from going for full passport completion and having to take ten billion photos). Levi brings MegaZard Y.
Forget about that Wally team, both of his Pokemon will be wasting too many turns not attacking for you to succeed. For the second partner, Mega Houndoom is an obvious choice as suggested above, but I feel it will get completely slaughtered when you run into an Aerodactyl. May I suggest Mega Gallade instead for being the hardest hitting Pokemon that has access to Wide Guard, or Hariyama for both Wide Guard and Fake Out support. But if you want absolute style points, use Mega Charizard X ;)

PikaCuber i want a team adapted in Super Single with Mega Charizard Y . I badly formulated my question sorry. :(
In singles, Mega Charizard Y can pretty much stand on his own and doesn't need much support. You can even run it with a physical and a special tanks if you want to. Otherwise, go with a Chlorophyl user plus a tank like Chansey.

Forget about that Wally team, both of his Pokemon will be wasting too many turns not attacking for you to succeed. For the second partner, Mega Houndoom is an obvious choice as suggested above, but I feel it will get completely slaughtered when you run into an Aerodactyl. May I suggest Mega Gallade instead for being the hardest hitting Pokemon that has access to Wide Guard, or Hariyama for both Wide Guard and Fake Out support. But if you want absolute style points, use Mega Charizard X ;)
But what do I bring that can partner up with tired-of-this-life Metagross?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 22)