Doubles Jirachi

[OVERVIEW]

Jirachi is a strong support Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame thanks to its great defensive typing and ability to redirect hits with Follow Me to grant easy setup opportunities and free turns for its teammates. Additionally, it is able to take advantage of Serene Grace to cause the foe to flinch with Iron Head, and it also has access to reliable speed control options in Icy Wind, Trick Room, and Thunder Wave. Jirachi's Steel typing and bulk make it an excellent choice especially, as it checks powerful attackers such as the island guardians and Mega Salamence. However, its lack of offensive investment can make it Substitute bait against Pokemon such as Heatran and Aegislash, as well as being weak against common spread attacks like Earthquake and Heat Wave.

[SET]
name: Follow Me
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Follow Me
move 3: Icy Wind
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head is the main STAB move, as it deals good damage to common Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele, as well as being able to cause slower targets to flinch thanks to Serene Grace. Follow Me allows Jirachi to absorb hits for its teammates and lets it provide free turns for its partner to either set up or take out opposing Pokemon without fear of being attacked. Icy Wind provides speed control and can check threats such as Mega Salamence and Shaymin-S while also being a way to soft check the likes of Landorus-T. Icy Wind can also make the foe slow enough for Jirachi to try and cause the foe to flinch until it's KOed with Iron Head. Trick Room is a great option for slower teams that can be a more reliable and effective form of speed control to help slow teammates that can be used over Icy Wind or Protect. Protect lets Jirachi stall out field conditions, lets its partner handle threats, and lets it scout foes' moves.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs with a Careful nature allow Jirachi to survive a Heat Wave from Timid maximum Special Attack Mega Charizard Y, with the remaining EVs placed in Defense. Sitrus Berry maximizes Jirachi's longevity, allowing it to redirect more hits for teammates. Some alternate spreads for a faster Jirachi include 56 Speed EVs to outpace Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu or a -1 Mega Salamence.

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is a glue Pokemon for a lot of teams, as it that can help teammates set up or survive a turn they otherwise would not. Jirachi is often used best in the mid- to late-game when attempting to help a teammate set up a boosting move or a Substitute to attempt to sweep. Using Jirachi as a pivot can be a good idea too, as its typing and bulk make it uniquely qualified to switch into the likes of Mega Salamence and Tapu Lele. Jirachi's attacking moves may not be powerful, but the secondary effects make up for this, as they provide utility and often free turns through flinches.

Team Options
========

Jirachi fits on many types of teams and thus can support many different partners effectively. Jirachi works very well with setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence and Azumarill, allowing them to freely set up with Dragon Dance and Belly Drum. Substitute attackers such as Kyurem-B and Volcanion can more easily get behind a Substitute with the Follow Me support. Other Pokemon that appreciate Jirachi's typing and redirection are Dragon- and Dark-types, as Jirachi can take on Fairy-types and opposing Dragon-types. Pokemon such as both Landorus formes as well as bulky Water-types are able to take on many of Jirachi's checks such as Fire- and Steel-types. Slow attackers that function best with Trick Room or Icy Wind support such as Heatran and Hoopa-U can make good partners as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Safety Goggles lets Jirachi soak up Spore and bypass Rage Powder, but these moves are uncommon, so Sitrus Berry is preferred. Thunder Wave provides more crippling speed control than Icy Wind and lasts the whole game but misses out on hitting common Ground-types like Landorus-T. Helping Hand is a fine option to boost a partner's moves when you don't want Jirachi to redirect attacks. Rocky Helmet helps to chip down physical attackers and punish Fake Out and U-turn. Stealth Rock can act as a check against Charizard as well as other Fire-types, especially if Jirachi can get Stealth Rock up early in the game. Shuca Berry can allow Jirachi to take a Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T or an Earth Power from Landorus and then hit back with an Icy Wind or set up Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Fire-types resist both of Jirachi's common moves while Heatran and Volcanion can both set up Substitutes in front of Jirachi, and it can't do anything back. Pokemon such as Volcarona can set up Quiver Dances in front of Jirachi while Mega Charizard Y can OHKO Jirachi with an Overheat or hurt its partner as well with a powerful Heat Wave.

**Dark-type Pokemon**: Dark-types such as Hoopa-U threaten to OHKO Jirachi with Hyperspace Fury while Hydreigon threatens it with a powerful Dark Pulse. As Jirachi is most often uninvested in its Attack and Special Attack stats, it cannot really punish these Dark-types beyond redirecting a super effective hit from a partner.

**Ghost-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Gengar and Aegislash are very threatening to Jirachi, as Gengar can trap Jirachi and deal a lot of damage with Shadow Ball or cripple it with a Will-O-Wisp while Aegislash walls Jirachi and can either set up a Substitute or KO it with a powerful Never-Ending Nightmare.

**Taunt**: Taunt from Pokemon such as Tapu Koko or and Thundurus can shut down one of Jirachi's primary functions and leave its teammates vulnerable.

**Spread Attackers**: Spread attacks like Heat Wave and Earthquake cannot be redirected and also hit Jirachi super effectively while Rock Slide may not hurt Jirachi but could hurt its partner.

**Ground-type Pokemon** Pokemon like Landorus-T, which threatens Jirachi and its partner with its Earthquake or could even OHKO Jirachi with a Tectonic Rage, and Landorus, which can OHKO Jirachi with an Earth Power, immediately threaten Jirachi but do have to be cautious of a potential Icy Wind.

Last edited:
Using the Calculator from http://jake-white.github.io/VGC-Damage-Calculator/

Suggested EVs:
252+ SpA Volcanion Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 184 SpD Jirachi: 216-254 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
+1 252+ Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 72+ Def Jirachi: 246-290 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Giving it 8 more EVs on SpD
252+ SpA Volcanion Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 192 SpD Jirachi: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
+1 252+ Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Jirachi: 248-294 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

8 more EVs on SpD guarantees surviving 2 Heat Wave from Volcanion / Heatran.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm sorry but you can definitely do better than this miltankmilk. The Set isn't really thought through, your Usage Tips are poorly written and lacking in crucial elements, and the Team Options should be way more than two bullet points, with categories of mons, examples, and reasons that they fit. I'm giving this QC Reject 1/2 but hoping that you whip this into shape and prove me wrong.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I still prefer Speed EVs on my Jirachi. 264 Speed is useful to be faster than Gengar after an Icy Wind. However, at min Speed it already outpaces -1 base 111 Spe, so I suppose it is a matter of preference.

Although I haven't tried it Z-Refresh is essentially a Full Restore, which can technically prolong Jirachi's support.

OO mentions:
Stealth Rock is great to deal hefty passive damage to Fire-types, particularly good if Jirachi is on a Rain team.
Safeguard for status protection
Rain Dance on a Rain team.

I'm not going to give this an extensive amcheck or anything, but I would like to say that the listed EV spread seems kind of arbitrary because Jirachi can't do much to Charizard in the first place. Charizard can also just Overheat and OHKO it. I'd recommend an EV spread of 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD with a Careful nature. This makes Jolly Landorus-T's spread Earthquake a 3HKO factoring in Sitrus Berry recovery, allowing you to Icy Wind it reliably. The remaining 20 EVs and a Careful nature are used to take hits better from threatening Special attackers such as Hydreigon and Tapu Lele. If you aren't running Sitrus Berry, an EV spread of 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD with a Careful nature can be used. This makes non Life Orb Hoopa-U's Hyperspace Fury a 2HKO, after which you can Iron Head it for good damage or slow it down with either Icy Wind or TWave.

The spreads I listed might not be optimal / super relevant, but I just wanted to give some examples. I'd ask QC first before you implement them, if you even decided to do so. I also think it'd be good to have the main EV spread utilize the added recovery from Sitrus Berry, while also mentioning a second one in Set Details for sets that aren't running Sitrus Berry. The bottom line is that the spread you have listed doesn't make a whole lot of sense cause the benchmark is a bit irrelevant.

On an unrelated note, I'd slash Thunder Wave next to Icy Wind (or even before it), because permanently crippling a fast attacker is super useful and you can also paraflinch opponents in combination with Iron Head. I'd also definitely keep Safety Goggles slashed on the main set because Amoonguss is still a major threat, even with the introduction of Tapu Koko's Electric Surge.

Hope this helps.

Amcheck stuff
As far as bulk benchmarks I'm fine with changing those to something deemed more relevant but I'd like to wait for QC to determine if another spread (such as one you listed) is better but for now I'll stick with this spread as its one Tree gave to me.

I still prefer Icy wind over T-wave especially after the nerfs to paralysis and t-wave. Icy wind is more accurate, hits both targets and hits ground types for damage so you arent zygarde setup bait. T-wave only halves your speed now and can miss so while it certainly has its merits I definitely prefer Icy Wind.

Overview:
- When mentioning how it's Sub bait, talk about its general tendency to be passive (can't deal meaningful damage to neutral targets)

Set:
- I haven't seen Amoonguss really work too well on a team since the new gen. I'd be comfortable moving Goggles down to a mention in the set detail
- Move Trick Room up to a mention in the moves. Honestly it's really good, especially considering how reliable it is without support. Even though it competes with Zong, follow me is great and it's less reliant on TR, making it perfect for semi TR. Mention how it is an option to reset opposing Trick Room for fast teams if you're lacking TR checks.

Team Options:
- how does Mega Gengar beat Fires + steels ~_~

OO:
- Stealth Rocks are pretty alright tbh. wears down zard so it doesnt constantly threaten you the entire game

C&C:
- Add a Taunt tag, Lele's most common 3rd move can sometimes shut down Rachi which is u_u

great analysis 1/2 when implemented

edit: fuck memoric

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Safety Goggles still deserve a slash imo, as Amoonguss can still be a menace against unprepared teams - koko isn't common enough to totally disregard Spore, not to mention Tapu Lele can remove Electric Terrain.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Amoonguss hasn't seen enough usage for Safety Goggles to be a pick atm, it's not really that relevant yet. If it does see significant usage, Gogs can easily be edited in, but it's not something that's worth to set as a "standard" for now

Amoonguss hasn't seen enough usage for Safety Goggles to be a pick atm, it's not really that relevant yet. If it does see significant usage, Gogs can easily be edited in, but it's not something that's worth to set as a "standard" for now
So is qsns' suggestion good for where to metion gogs?
Edit: Taking Memoric's like as a greenlight so I implemented this and will write it up probably tomorrow!

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Memo and I agreed it best to move it down to Other Options. Amoonguss took a huge hit with the new gen in every way possible, so there isn't that much reason to use goggles.

a few more things:

- Rephrase your mention of TR in moves. Trick Room doesn't cost Icy Wind if you are building semiroom, which is an important point as to not ruin new players creativity.
- Mention a few options in Set Details about speed control (16 Spe for neutral 70s, 108 for +70s)

- Under usage tips, you call jirachis attack stat 100. Change it to uninvested base 100 or somethng like that to avoid confusion
- you definitely need a point about using it as a switch-in to Psychic spam and Mence in usage tips.

Do this and you get my QC 1/2 stamp and not qsns' stamp :]

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
  • [Set] Put Follow Me before Icy Wind - even though Icy Wind is technically an attack, it's used as a utility move more often and should be treated as such. Follow Me is the more important utility move out of the two, so it should be listed first
  • [Moves] In the TR sentence, talk about how it can be over Icy Wind or over Protect
  • [Moves] Put the Follow Me sentence before the Icy Wind sentence
  • [Set Details] The only Speed EVs mention I'd give would be 56 to outspeed Adamant Tapu Bulu and -1 Mega Mence; Breloom and Bisharp are super irrelevant and Volcanion doesn't care if you outspeed it because you're sub bait
  • [Team Options] A quick shoutout to slower attackers that appreciate either Icy Wind or Trick Room support would be swell
  • [Other Options] Shuca Berry is an okay option to tank a Tectonic Rage from Lando-T or Earth Power from Lando-I and hit back with an Icy Wind
  • [Checks and Counters] All of these could use some fleshing out - for example, in **Fire-type Pokemon**, they resist all Jirachi's moves, hit it super effectively, and often have spread moves that ignore its attempts to shield a teammate with Follow Me. Zard Y can OHKO with Overheat, Volcarona does the same with Inferno Overdrive, and as you mentioned, Heatran and Volcanion can sub up or deal massive damage without caring about anything Jirachi tries to do. Do similar fleshing out to the other x-type Pokemon sections with especially relevant or unique threats to Jirachi.
  • [C&C] For Taunt, maybe include Thund or Tapu Koko instead of Lele, because Jirachi's main function these days is checking Lele.
  • [C&C] Move Ground-type Pokemon to right below Ghost-type Pokemon
Tag me when done so that I can give this the 2/2!

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
  • [Moves] Icy Wind also brings faster threats down to the point where Jirachi can potentially make them flinch with Iron Head
  • [Set Details] Tapu Bulu isn't base 56 Speed, Jirachi needs 56 Speed EVs to outpace max speed Adamant Tapu Bulu which is base 75 Speed.
  • [Set Details] When talking about alternate spreads, say something about how Jirachi's defensive investments are fairly customizable for the threats it needs to check for its teammates
  • [Usage Tips] In the last sentence, clarify that what Jirachi's attacks lack in power, they make up for with secondary effects.
QC 2/2 looks good! Remember to read through and make quick fixes to grammar / flow before sending this off to GP.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

Jirachi is a strong support Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame thanks to its great defensive typing and its ability to redirect hits with Follow Me to grant easy setup (RH) opportunities and free turns for its teammates. Jirachi is also able to take advantage of its ability Serene Grace to pick up flinches cause the foe to flinch with Iron Head, (AC) and while it also has access to reliable speed control options in Icy Wind, Trick Room, (AC) and Thunder Wave. Jirachi's (ASCII apostrophe) Steel typing and bulk make it an excellent choice especially, (AC) as it checks powerful attackers such as all four Tapus the island guardians and Mega Salamence. Jirachi is not without its weaknesses though as However, (AC) its uninvested attacks can make it Substitute bait against Pokemon such as Heatran and Aegislash, (AC) as well as being weak against common spread attacks like Earthquake and Heat Wave.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head is the main STAB move, (AC) as it deals good damage to common Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele, (AC) as well as being able to flinch cause slower targets to flinch thanks to Serene Grace. Follow Me allows Jirachi to absorb hits for its teammates and lets it provide free turns for its partner to either setup moves set up or allowing the partner to take out opposing Pokemon without fear of being attacked. Icy Wind provides speed control and can check threats such as Mega Salamence or Shaymin-Sky and Shaymin-S while also being a soft check to the likes of Landorus-T. Icy Wind can also make the opponent foe slow enough for Jirachi to try and cause the foe to flinch down until it's KOed with Iron Head. Trick Room is a great option for slower teams that can be a more reliable and effective form of speed control to help slow teammates which that can be used over Icy Wind or over Protect. Protect lets you Jirachi stall out field conditions, lets its partner handle threats, and lets it scout opponent's foes' moves.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs with a Careful nature allow Jirachi to survive a Heat Wave from Timid max maximum Special Attack Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y, (AC) (RH) with the remaining EVs placed in Defense. Sitrus Berry maximizes Jirachi's survivability for Jirachi, allowing it to redirect more hits for teammates. Some alternate spreads for a faster Jirachi include 56 Speed EVs to outpace Pokemon such as neutral-natured Tapu Bulu without a boosting nature as well as a -1 Mega Salamence. Ultimately Jirachi is a very versatile Pokemon that has defenses that can be customized to fit the needs of your team. (fluff)

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is a glue Pokemon for a lot of teams, (AC) as it that can help pokemon set-up teammates set up or survive a turn they otherwise would not. Jirachi is often used best in the mid- (AH) to late-game (AH) when attempting to help a teammate set up a boosting move or a Substitute to attempt to sweep. Using Jirachi as a pivot can be a good idea too, (AC) as its typing and bulk make it uniquely qualified to switch into the likes of Mega Salamence or and Tapu Lele. Jirachi's attacking moves may not be powerful, (AC) but the secondary effects make up for this, (AC) as they provide utility and often free turns in the form of causing the foe to flinch flinches.

Team Options
========

Jirachi fits on many types of teams and thus can support many different partners effectively. Jirachi works very well with setup (RH) sweepers such as Mega Salamence and Azumarill, (RC) allowing them to freely set up with Dragon Dance or and Belly Drum respectively. Substitute attackers such as Kyurem-B or and Volcanion can more easily get behind a Substitute with the Follow Me support. Other Pokemon that appreciate Jirachi's typing and redirection are Dragon-types and Dark-types, (AC) as Jirachi can take on Fairy-types and opposing Dragon-types. Pokemon such as both Landorus formes as well as bulky Water-types are able to take on many of Jirachi's checks such as Fire- and Steel-types. Slow attackers that function best with Trick Room or Icy Wind support such as Heatran or and Hoopa-U can make good partners as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Safety Goggles lets Jirachi soak up Spore and bypass Rage Powder, but these moves are currently (no time-y statements) uncommon, (AC) so Sitrus Berry is preferred. Thunder Wave provides more crippling speed control than Icy Wind and lasts the whole game but misses out on hitting common Ground-types like Landorus-T. Helping Hand is a fine option to boost a partner partner's moves when you don't want Jirachi to redirect attacks. Rocky Helmet helps to chip down physical attackers and punish Fake Out (RH) and U-turn. Stealth Rock can act as a check against Charizard as well as other Fire-types, especially if Jirachi can get Stealth Rock up early in the game. Shuca Berry can allow Jirachi to take a Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T or an Earth Power from Landorus-I Landorus and then hit back with an Icy Wind or set up Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Fire-types resist both of Jirachi's common moves while Heatran and Volcanion can both set up Substitutes in front of Jirachi, (AC) and it can't do anything back. Pokemon such as Volcarona can set up Quiver Dances in front of Jirachi while Mega Charizard Y (RH) can OHKO Jirachi with an Overheat or hurt its partner as well with a powerful Heat Wave.

**Dark-type Pokemon**: Dark-types such as Hoopa-U threaten to OHKO Jirachi with Hyperspace Fury while Hydreigon threatens it with a powerful Dark Pulse. As Jirachi is most often uninvested in its Attack and Special Attack stats, (AC) it cannot really punish these Darks Dark-types beyond redirecting a super effective hit from a partner.

**Ghost-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Gengar (RH) and Aegislash both are very threatening to Jirachi, (AC) as Gengar can trap Jirachi and deal a lot of damage with Shadow Ball or cripple it with a Will-O-Wisp while Aegislash walls Jirachi and can either set up a Substitute or KO it with a powerful Never-Ending (AH) Nightmare.

**Taunt**: Taunt from Pokemon such as Tapu Koko or and Thundurus can shut down one of Jirachi's primary function functions and leave its teammates vulnerable.

**Spread Attackers**: Spread attacks like Heat Wave and Earthquake cannot be redirected and also hit Jirachi super effectively while Rock Slide may not hurt Jirachi but could hurt its partner.

**Ground-type Pokemon** Pokemon like Landorus-T, (AC) which threatens Jirachi and its partner with its Earthquake or could even OHKO Jirachi with a Tectonic Rage and Landorus-I, (AC) which can OHKO Jirachi with an Earth Power immediately threaten Jirachi but do have to be cautious of a potential Icy Wind.
GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Jirachi is a strong support Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame thanks to its great defensive typing and ability to redirect hits with Follow Me to grant easy setup opportunities and free turns for its teammates. Jirachi is also able to take advantage of Serene Grace to cause the foe to flinch with Iron Head, and it also has access to reliable speed control options in Icy Wind, Trick Room, and Thunder Wave. Jirachi's Steel typing and bulk make it an excellent choice especially, as it checks powerful attackers such as the island guardians and Mega Salamence. However, its uninvested attacks can make it Substitute bait against Pokemon such as Heatran and Aegislash, as well as being weak against common spread attacks like Earthquake and Heat Wave.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head is the main STAB move, as it deals good damage to common Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele, as well as being able to cause slower targets to flinch thanks to Serene Grace. Follow Me allows Jirachi to absorb hits for its teammates and lets it provide free turns for its partner to either set up or take out opposing Pokemon without fear of being attacked. Icy Wind provides speed control and can check threats such as Mega Salamence and Shaymin-S while also being a soft check to the likes of Landorus-T. Icy Wind can also make the foe slow enough for Jirachi to try and cause the foe to flinch until it's KOed with Iron Head. Trick Room is a great option for slower teams that can be a more reliable and effective form of speed control to help slow teammates that can be used over Icy Wind or Protect. Protect lets Jirachi stall out field conditions, lets its partner handle threats, and lets it scout foes' moves.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs with a Careful nature allow Jirachi to survive a Heat Wave from Timid maximum Special Attack Mega Charizard Y, with the remaining EVs placed in Defense. Sitrus Berry maximizes Jirachi's survivability, allowing it to redirect more hits for teammates. Some alternate spreads for a faster Jirachi include 56 Speed EVs to outpace Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu or a -1 Mega Salamence.

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is a glue Pokemon for a lot of teams, as it that can help teammates set up or survive a turn they otherwise would not. Jirachi is often used best in the mid- to late-game when attempting to help a teammate set up a boosting move or a Substitute to attempt to sweep. Using Jirachi as a pivot can be a good idea too, as its typing and bulk make it uniquely qualified to switch into the likes of Mega Salamence and Tapu Lele. Jirachi's attacking moves may not be powerful, but the secondary effects make up for this, as they provide utility and often free turns in the form of causing the foe to flinch.

Team Options
========

Jirachi fits on many types of teams and thus can support many different partners effectively. Jirachi works very well with setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence and Azumarill allowing them to freely set up with Dragon Dance and Belly Drum respectively. Substitute attackers such as Kyurem-B and Volcanion can more easily get behind a Substitute with the Follow Me support. Other Pokemon that appreciate Jirachi's typing and redirection are Dragon- and Dark-types as Jirachi can take on Fairy-types and opposing Dragon-types. Pokemon such as both Landorus formes as well as bulky Water-types are able to take on many of Jirachi's checks such as Fire- and Steel-types. Slow attackers that function best with Trick Room or Icy Wind support such as Heatran and Hoopa-U can make good partners as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Safety Goggles lets Jirachi soak up Spore and bypass Rage Powder, but these moves are uncommon, so Sitrus Berry is preferred. Thunder Wave provides more crippling speed control than Icy Wind and lasts the whole game but misses out on hitting common Ground-types like Landorus-T. Helping Hand is a fine option to boost a partner's moves when you don't want Jirachi to redirect attacks. Rocky Helmet helps to chip down physical attackers and punish Fake Out and U-turn. Stealth Rock can act as a check against Charizard as well as other Fire-types, especially if Jirachi can get Stealth Rock up early in the game. Shuca Berry can allow Jirachi to take a Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T or an Earth Power from Landorus and then hit back with an Icy Wind or set up Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Fire-types resist both of Jirachi's common moves while Heatran and Volcanion can both set up Substitutes in front of Jirachi, and it can't do anything back. Pokemon such as Volcarona can set up Quiver Dances in front of Jirachi while Mega Charizard Y can OHKO Jirachi with an Overheat or hurt its partner as well with a powerful Heat Wave.

**Dark-type Pokemon**: Dark-types such as Hoopa-U threaten to OHKO Jirachi with Hyperspace Fury while Hydreigon threatens it with a powerful Dark Pulse. As Jirachi is most often uninvested in its Attack and Special Attack stats, it cannot really punish these Dark-types beyond redirecting a super effective hit from a partner.

**Ghost-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Gengar and Aegislash are very threatening to Jirachi, as Gengar can trap Jirachi and deal a lot of damage with Shadow Ball or cripple it with a Will-O-Wisp while Aegislash walls Jirachi and can either set up a Substitute or KO it with a powerful Never-Ending Nightmare.

**Taunt**: Taunt from Pokemon such as Tapu Koko or and Thundurus can shut down one of Jirachi's primary functions and leave its teammates vulnerable.

**Ground-type Pokemon** Pokemon like Landorus-T, which threatens Jirachi and its partner with its Earthquake or could even OHKO Jirachi with a Tectonic Rage and Landorus, which can OHKO Jirachi with an Earth Power immediately threaten Jirachi but do have to be cautious of a potential Icy Wind.
GP 1/2
Did thanks!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Jirachi is a strong support Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame thanks to its great defensive typing and ability to redirect hits with Follow Me to grant easy setup opportunities and free turns for its teammates. Additionally, it Jirachi is also able to take advantage of Serene Grace to cause the foe to flinch with Iron Head, and it also has access to reliable speed control options in Icy Wind, Trick Room, and Thunder Wave. Jirachi's Steel typing and bulk make it an excellent choice especially, as it checks powerful attackers such as the island guardians and Mega Salamence. However, its uninvested attacks (lack of power / lack of offensive investment imo) can make it Substitute bait against Pokemon such as Heatran and Aegislash, as well as being weak against common spread attacks like Earthquake and Heat Wave.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head is the main STAB move, as it deals good damage to common Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele, as well as being able to cause slower targets to flinch thanks to Serene Grace. Follow Me allows Jirachi to absorb hits for its teammates and lets it provide free turns for its partner to either set up or take out opposing Pokemon without fear of being attacked. Icy Wind provides speed control and can check threats such as Mega Salamence and Shaymin-S while also being a way to soft check to the likes of Landorus-T. Icy Wind can also make the foe slow enough for Jirachi to try and cause the foe to flinch until it's KOed with Iron Head. Trick Room is a great option for slower teams that can be a more reliable and effective form of speed control to help slow teammates that can be used over Icy Wind or Protect. Protect lets Jirachi stall out field conditions, lets its partner handle threats, and lets it scout foes' moves.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs with a Careful nature allow Jirachi to survive a Heat Wave from Timid maximum Special Attack Mega Charizard Y, with the remaining EVs placed in Defense. Sitrus Berry maximizes Jirachi's survivability longevity, allowing it to redirect more hits for teammates. Some alternate spreads for a faster Jirachi include 56 Speed EVs to outpace Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu or a -1 Mega Salamence.

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is a glue Pokemon for a lot of teams, as it that can help teammates set up or survive a turn they otherwise would not. Jirachi is often used best in the mid- to late-game when attempting to help a teammate set up a boosting move or a Substitute to attempt to sweep. Using Jirachi as a pivot can be a good idea too, as its typing and bulk make it uniquely qualified to switch into the likes of Mega Salamence and Tapu Lele. Jirachi's attacking moves may not be powerful, but the secondary effects make up for this, as they provide utility and often free turns in the form of causing the foe to flinch through flinches.

Team Options
========

Jirachi fits on many types of teams and thus can support many different partners effectively. Jirachi works very well with setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence and Azumarill, (AC) allowing them to freely set up with Dragon Dance and Belly Drum respectively. Substitute attackers such as Kyurem-B and Volcanion can more easily get behind a Substitute with the Follow Me support. Other Pokemon that appreciate Jirachi's typing and redirection are Dragon- and Dark-types, (AC) as Jirachi can take on Fairy-types and opposing Dragon-types. Pokemon such as both Landorus formes as well as bulky Water-types are able to take on many of Jirachi's checks such as Fire- and Steel-types. Slow attackers that function best with Trick Room or Icy Wind support such as Heatran and Hoopa-U can make good partners as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type Pokemon** Pokemon like Landorus-T, which threatens Jirachi and its partner with its Earthquake or could even OHKO Jirachi with a Tectonic Rage, (AC) and Landorus, which can OHKO Jirachi with an Earth Power, (AC) immediately threaten Jirachi but do have to be cautious of a potential Icy Wind.

Last edited:

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Jirachi is a strong support Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame thanks to its great defensive typing and ability to redirect hits with Follow Me to grant easy setup opportunities and free turns for its teammates. Additionally, it is able to take advantage of Serene Grace to cause the foe to flinch with Iron Head, and it also has access to reliable speed control options in Icy Wind, Trick Room, and Thunder Wave. Jirachi's Steel typing and bulk make it an excellent choice especially, as it checks powerful attackers such as the island guardians and Mega Salamence. However, its lack of offensive investment can make it Substitute bait against Pokemon such as Heatran and Aegislash, as well as being weak against common spread attacks like Earthquake and Heat Wave.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head is the main STAB move, as it deals good damage to common Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele, as well as being able to cause slower targets to flinch thanks to Serene Grace. Follow Me allows Jirachi to absorb hits for its teammates and lets it provide free turns for its partner to either set up or take out opposing Pokemon without fear of being attacked. Icy Wind provides speed control and can check threats such as Mega Salamence and Shaymin-S while also being a way to soft check the likes of Landorus-T. Icy Wind can also make the foe slow enough for Jirachi to try and cause the foe to flinch until it's KOed with Iron Head. Trick Room is a great option for slower teams that can be a more reliable and effective form of speed control to help slow teammates that can be used over Icy Wind or Protect. Protect lets Jirachi stall out field conditions, lets its partner handle threats, and lets it scout foes' moves.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs with a Careful nature allow Jirachi to survive a Heat Wave from Timid maximum Special Attack Mega Charizard Y, with the remaining EVs placed in Defense. Sitrus Berry maximizes Jirachi's longevity, allowing it to redirect more hits for teammates. Some alternate spreads for a faster Jirachi include 56 Speed EVs to outpace Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu or a -1 Mega Salamence.

Usage Tips
========

Jirachi is a glue Pokemon for a lot of teams, as it that can help teammates set up or survive a turn they otherwise would not. Jirachi is often used best in the mid- to late-game when attempting to help a teammate set up a boosting move or a Substitute to attempt to sweep. Using Jirachi as a pivot can be a good idea too, as its typing and bulk make it uniquely qualified to switch into the likes of Mega Salamence and Tapu Lele. Jirachi's attacking moves may not be powerful, but the secondary effects make up for this, as they provide utility and often free turns through flinches.

Team Options
========

Jirachi fits on many types of teams and thus can support many different partners effectively. Jirachi works very well with setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence and Azumarill, allowing them to freely set up with Dragon Dance and Belly Drum. Substitute attackers such as Kyurem-B and Volcanion can more easily get behind a Substitute with the Follow Me support. Other Pokemon that appreciate Jirachi's typing and redirection are Dragon- and Dark-types, as Jirachi can take on Fairy-types and opposing Dragon-types. Pokemon such as both Landorus formes as well as bulky Water-types are able to take on many of Jirachi's checks such as Fire- and Steel-types. Slow attackers that function best with Trick Room or Icy Wind support such as Heatran and Hoopa-U can make good partners as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type Pokemon** Pokemon like Landorus-T, which threatens Jirachi and its partner with its Earthquake or could even OHKO Jirachi with a Tectonic Rage, and Landorus, which can OHKO Jirachi with an Earth Power, immediately threaten Jirachi but do have to be cautious of a potential Icy Wind.
Done thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)