Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Has anyone played around with Tyranitar yet? I'm breeding a couple back in OR and wondering what natures they should have/tutor moves I should give them/etc. before transferring them to Sun.

Hey, I have a question to Battle Spot Doubles: What item do u think is better on A-Ninetales in a team where A-Sandslash is the only mon that profits from hail besides Tales? Light Clay or Icy Rock? Played a couple of games but still can´t really say which of both is better.

Greetz

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Hey, I have a question to Battle Spot Doubles: What item do u think is better on A-Ninetales in a team where A-Sandslash is the only mon that profits from hail besides Tales? Light Clay or Icy Rock? Played a couple of games but still can´t really say which of both is better.

Greetz
Weather tends to change too frequently for Icy Rock to be worth it most of the time, especially with Charizard around to control it better. Generally the best item for Ninetales is Focus Sash because it's weak and primarily there to chunk with Blizzard and set Aurora Veil, but if you're deciding between both of those items or already have the Focus Sash on something else, then definitely Light Clay. Alolan Sandslash is also fairly underwhelming so relying on weather sweeping is not the most effective approach usually.

Quick question about Pheromosa; what are people's thoughts on its best set for Battle Spot?

I'm currently thinking Focus Sash is a great item choice - I intend to use it similarly to how I used Sash Greninja in XY to good success. Then I'm thinking a Naughty Nature with Lunge | Hi-jump Kick | Poison Jab | Ice Beam. A Naughty nature allows it to hit harder and grab an attack boost from Beast Boost, and I'm hoping with a Focus Sash, the fact it can be outsped by more scarf users isn't as much as a problem. I think that moveset is optimum, though maybe switch out (pun intended) Lunge for U-turn?

Thoughts?

Is it fine for a Skarmory to have Roar > Whirlwind? Are there any common Soundproof Pokémon / Pokémon that block Roar but not Whirlwind?

Is it fine for a Skarmory to have Roar > Whirlwind? Are there any common Soundproof Pokémon / Pokémon that block Roar but not Whirlwind?
It certainly won't come up very often, and the only possibly relevant Soundproof user is Kommo-o. You can probably get away with using roar, but if you can have whirlwind there's no reasonn not to.

2 questions: are hardy wishiwashi and Mild gyarados usable? I got them shiny and am wondering if they have use. Also, on PS I try to use a lando I but it says it must be obtainable from and event and have something special. Can anyone confirm if this is a glitch or just normal gen 7 stuff? I'm asking because I could use latios so I don't think it has anything to do with gen 7 caught rule. Thanks In advance.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
2 questions: are hardy wishiwashi and Mild gyarados usable? I got them shiny and am wondering if they have use. Also, on PS I try to use a lando I but it says it must be obtainable from and event and have something special. Can anyone confirm if this is a glitch or just normal gen 7 stuff? I'm asking because I could use latios so I don't think it has anything to do with gen 7 caught rule. Thanks In advance.
No they're not, unfortunately.

Were you trying to use Sheer Force on Landorus? Because that's illegal due to being only available through the Dream Radar in Gen 5. If it was regular Sand Force Lando then it's a bug and i'll get it fixed.

No they're not, unfortunately.

Were you trying to use Sheer Force on Landorus? Because that's illegal due to being only available through the Dream Radar in Gen 5. If it was regular Sand Force Lando then it's a bug and i'll get it fixed.
It was sheer force lando, so now I'm sad I can't use him:( I even had an hp ice one ready to use from y. Well at least sand force is still good for doubles.

Hey I have a question regarding BS special : I am using Lugia as my poke from the restricted ones and was wondering what would be an optimal spread for a Timid(multiscale) one. Thanks in advance for the help :)

Last edited:
Hey I have a question regarding BS special : I am using Lugia as my poke from the restricted ones and was wondering what would be an optimal spread for a Timid(multiscale) one. Thanks in advance for the help :)
I dont believe Multiscale Lugia was available with a pentagon. In which case is it usable at all?

Quick technical question:
Maybe it was already asked (or this is not the place to ask such a question). Anyway, are pokemon not bred in alola allowed in ranked battle spot?

For example I have a Tyranitar who has written in its description: "seems to have traveled across both space and time to reach you from the Kalos region.". Is it legal?

Quick technical question:
Maybe it was already asked (or this is not the place to ask such a question). Anyway, are pokemon not bred in alola allowed in ranked battle spot?

For example I have a Tyranitar who has written in its description: "seems to have traveled across both space and time to reach you from the Kalos region.". Is it legal?
Only pokemon caught/bred in Gen 6 or 7 are allowed in ranked. So it doesnt have to be alolan born but it has to be from XY, ORAS, or SM. Im not super familiar with those in game phrases on pokes but it sounds like that TTAR is from pre gen6, if thats the case it wouldnt be legal.

Edit @ below: yeah youre right lol. I misread

Last edited:
Im not super familiar with those in game phrases on pokes but it sounds like that TTAR is from pre gen6, if thats the case it wouldnt be legal.
Kalos is XY, so Gen6. It would be legal, wouldn't it?

I dont believe Multiscale Lugia was available with a pentagon. In which case is it usable at all?
Not being highly informed on online battling(just started battling online very late in 2016) I dont understand what you mean by pentagon. If you meant it isn't allowed then I tried a team with the multiscale lugia I have and it was allowed or did you mean something else.

Not being highly informed on online battling(just started battling online very late in 2016) I dont understand what you mean by pentagon. If you meant it isn't allowed then I tried a team with the multiscale lugia I have and it was allowed or did you mean something else.
The Pentagon is a symbol on all Gen 6 native mons, you can see it in their status screen.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Blue_pentagon

Similarly Gen 7 mons have a Black Clover: http://i.imgur.com/iK5jVxS.png

In Rated Battle only non-banned mons with the above symbols can be used.

However the current Special Season has no such restriction, you can bring in basically anything, so your Lugia would work in there.

Has anyone played around with Tyranitar yet? I'm breeding a couple back in OR and wondering what natures they should have/tutor moves I should give them/etc. before transferring them to Sun.
Ive liked this set alot so far. It can surprise some people with ice beam, is very bulky, can set up rocks, and you can tailor it to your liking worth extra support moves. It pairs very well with Excadrill.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Foul Play

Hey all! I'm wondering about mega venusaur with the changes to mega evolution and the way the turn order is determined. Chlorophyll used to be the preferred ability in the base form, but has that changed? In short, which ability should mega venusaur run in gen 7?

Hey all! I'm wondering about mega venusaur with the changes to mega evolution and the way the turn order is determined. Chlorophyll used to be the preferred ability in the base form, but has that changed? In short, which ability should mega venusaur run in gen 7?
I think Chlorophyll would still be preferred on the off chance you need the speed to revenge KO something in sun. Because of the new turn order mechanics with Mega Evolution it largely won't matter most of the time.

I think Chlorophyll would still be preferred on the off chance you need the speed to revenge KO something in sun. Because of the new turn order mechanics with Mega Evolution it largely won't matter most of the time.
Okay thanks! Back to breeding bulbasaurs then!

With the abundance of Z-items and mega stones, is using a trick/choice item (and to a much lesser extent knock off) strategy a losing proposal? I used to have a bit of success with trick scarf Rotom, but I see lots of opponents using Z crystals on unexpected Pokemon and it makes me leery of going though the trouble of obtaining one this generation.

With the abundance of Z-items and mega stones, is using a trick/choice item (and to a much lesser extent knock off) strategy a losing proposal? I used to have a bit of success with trick scarf Rotom, but I see lots of opponents using Z crystals on unexpected Pokemon and it makes me leery of going though the trouble of obtaining one this generation.
Things that you end up trick choicing are often stuff that is too passive to properly utilize Z-Moves for coverage(for instance, Celesteela and Chansey). The 50/50 was already present for trick choicing something that didn't care about having the choice item, or receiving another choice item yourself. Of course, it's now a rough 50/50, loser dies, assuming there's a z-crystal. This was already the case with Mega Stones in gen 6, and unlike megas which were telegraphed from team preview, z-crystals can give you a pretty good indication of something having some sort of z-move once trick fails on it. that's not an endorsement, it's definitely worse now. honestly i would gauge how much trouble you have with things that actually legit hate getting a scarf tricked onto it, otherwise you may as well use a different filler move, or just use trick very sparingly.

The ability to incapacitate something that relies on its item while having a damage output that is, AT THE VERY LEAST, comparable with other physical dark STAB's(Throat Chop for Weavile, Night Slash for everything else) is very good, has been very good since knock off got buffed to 65 bp with the item boost, and unless knock off gets re-nerfed, it will be for the foreseeable future.

I saw that with the release of bank, Tapu Lele dropped down a bit in OU rankings, with people saying her scarf set is outclassed now but the stall breaker set being scary still. Does this apply to battle spot singles as well? Basically I want to know whether I should be going for Timid or Modest when running myself ragged trying to nail HP Fire on Lele (already lost like half a day to it). After seeing everything, I am leaning towards Modest, but am looking for some confirmation on this matter. Bonus points if it's the preferred nature for doubles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)