Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

What sort of movesets (including nature) do people use on Silvally? I know it's not very common, but I'd like to know what nature I should SR for on Type: Null.

This is what I thought too, but showdown currently allows for earth power gastrodon, which shouldnt be a thing this format. Can anyone verify?
If showdown is allowing Earth Power Gastrodon that's a bug; it isn't allowed at live events or on the Battlespot VGC ladder.

What sort of movesets (including nature) do people use on Silvally? I know it's not very common, but I'd like to know what nature I should SR for on Type: Null.
It's really hard to say what the best set is/will be since it hasn't had any major tournament success. Battlespot stats show that its mostly Adamant or Jolly, used in normal form for Parting Shot support and STAB Explosion. I'd probably go ahead and SR for one of those natures, and if a different set ends up becoming superior I'm sure you'll be able to find a giveaway / someone to trade with.

Really dumb question, but I need to know it because every time I say the wrong one people pick on me and I am tired of it. What is the difference between a set and a spread?!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
A set can refer to a pokemon's moves or its entire moveset, including EVs and such
A spread refers to the Pokemon's EVs + Nature

My question is about move changes brought on by Pokebank release. I read this article:

http://www.trainertower.com/pokebank-changes-vgc-17/

Does this mean egg moves bred from pokemon in prior games are now legal, but move tutor moves are still not? I was specifically wondering about Icy Wind on Milotic. Showdown is currently allowing me to run that set but I don't know if that's a glitch or not.

Now that Analytic Porygon2 is available, is it a better option for Trick Room than Download? Thanks.
Analytic has two drawbacks: it gives a smaller boost than Download, and it only works if you move after the target. The latter is the more important one, since it means your attacks are usually not going to be boosted when you're in Trick Room. Download's main drawback is that you can't always control which boost you'll get, but people have already figured out how to mitigate that by running sets like Ice Beam/Return. I'd say it's ultimately a matter of preference and how you're playing P2, but I think Download is still usually better.

what spreads does Porygon2 usually use?
244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD Sassy or something pretty close. 244 HP hits 1 point below a multiple of 16 to minimize residual damage, the Special Defense nearly guarantees surviving Modest Golduck Hydro Vortex + Modest Pelipper Scald in rain. You can go even higher SpD to make the roll better--244 / 188 guarantees it if neither of them crits--but usually people put it in Def for general bulk.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I have a question: Faced a team today which was based on Eevee. The guy started with Sash Smeargle using Follow me and Eevee using it´s Z-Move. I taunted Eeve after that and thought I was safe but no, Smeargle fainted and in the next turn he replaced Smeargle with Espeon who used Psych UP on Eevee then and destroyed me with Stored Power afterwards. How can u handle this? Strong Fight-Stabs to OHKO Eevee? Roar/ Whirlwind?

Last edited:
Hey, I have a question: Faced a team today which was based on Eevee. The guy started with Sash Smeargle using Follow me and Eevee using it´s Z-Move. I taunted Eeve after that and thought I was safe but no, Smeargle fainted and in the next turn he replaced Smeargle with Espeon who used Psych UP on Eevee then and destroyed me with Stored Power afterwards. How can u handle this? Strong Fight-Stabs to OHKO Eevee? Roar/ Whirlwind?
http://www.trainertower.com/extreme-evoboost-eevee-analysis/

Welcome to the VGC 17 edition of VGC SQSA! If you are looking for the VGC 17 rules you can find them here. READ THEM
If you are looking to have a question answered that can be done in a single post, please put it here instead of starting a new thread. This should be for VGC 17 questions only / in-game questions relevant to VGC / VGC IRL / etc.

Rules
  1. DO NOT ASK ABOUT HACK CHECKS OR ROMS or any other forms of cheating
  2. Your question should include at least a brief explanation
  3. Please quote the question you are answering, otherwise it can get confusing
  4. Please do a Google search before asking the question
  5. This goes without saying, but please follow all Smogon rules and be respectful to others
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is VGC?
A: VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, and is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are all double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50. It is played on the 3DS at events ranging from local Premier challenges, larger Regional tournaments, National tournaments, and culminating in the World Championship..

Q: Where can I get free VGC Pokemon?
A: People will occasionally post giveaways here.

Q: How do I find events to participate in?
A: You can use the Pokemon.com event finder to local tournaments in your area.
Should I use garchomp or krookodile? I know it depends on the team but which is generally preferred? Krookodile hits tapu lele really hard and since garchomp is used a lot it's really predictable. Also, oranguru is taken out with krookodile easily too.

Should I use garchomp or krookodile? I know it depends on the team but which is generally preferred?
Garchomp is definitely more common and is generally the better pick. It has better Speed and Attack, better coverage options, and Dragon typing is generally better defensively. Resisting Fire and taking neutral damage from Water and Grass is worth the worse Ice weakness, and Krookodile's Dark typing doesn't do that much defensively since the main Psychic in the format has Fairy STAB too.

Krookodile hits tapu lele really hard
Krookodile is worse against Tapu Lele than Garchomp. Since Tapu Lele is part Fairy it only takes neutral damage from Crunch, and Krookodile doesn't have many good coverage options. Garchomp's Poison Jab does a good bit more to Tapu Lele than Krookodile's Crunch because it's super-effective and Garchomp has higher attack. Garchomp is also naturally faster than Tapu Lele, while Krookodile is naturally slower.

since garchomp is used a lot it's really predictable.
That logic doesn't quite hold up. Yes, people are more used to seeing Garchomp than Krookodile. But people still know what Krookodile does, and Garchomp has more viable move options which actually makes it less predictable.

Also, oranguru is taken out with krookodile easily too.
Kinda irrelevant, Oranguru is not a major meta threat and Krookodile isn't a one-mon answer anyways (doesn't OHKO, hit hard by common partners)

If you're searching for reasons to justify using Krookodile, there's one big one: Role compression. If you want Intimidate, Arcanine is basically better than Krookodile. If you want a fast Ground-type, Garchomp is basically better than Krookodile. Those are the top two mons in the usage stats because those are valuable roles and most of the time they'll be the best picks for those roles. Krookodile sees use because even though its worse than Arcanine and Garchomp in those two roles, it combines them. If you build a team and you end up needing Intimidate and a fast Ground-type and you only have one free slot, Krookodile is your guy. It can also be the best choice for Intimidate if you want to use Marowak and Tapu Fini, for example. Arcanine and Gyarados would have overlapping types, Salamence would be weakened by your own Terrain, but Krookodile works fine with both of those.

Garchomp is definitely more common and is generally the better pick. It has better Speed and Attack, better coverage options, and Dragon typing is generally better defensively. Resisting Fire and taking neutral damage from Water and Grass is worth the worse Ice weakness, and Krookodile's Dark typing doesn't do that much defensively since the main Psychic in the format has Fairy STAB too.

Krookodile is worse against Tapu Lele than Garchomp. Since Tapu Lele is part Fairy it only takes neutral damage from Crunch, and Krookodile doesn't have many good coverage options. Garchomp's Poison Jab does a good bit more to Tapu Lele than Krookodile's Crunch because it's super-effective and Garchomp has higher attack. Garchomp is also naturally faster than Tapu Lele, while Krookodile is naturally slower.

That logic doesn't quite hold up. Yes, people are more used to seeing Garchomp than Krookodile. But people still know what Krookodile does, and Garchomp has more viable move options which actually makes it less predictable.

Kinda irrelevant, Oranguru is not a major meta threat and Krookodile isn't a one-mon answer anyways (doesn't OHKO, hit hard by common partners)

If you're searching for reasons to justify using Krookodile, there's one big one: Role compression. If you want Intimidate, Arcanine is basically better than Krookodile. If you want a fast Ground-type, Garchomp is basically better than Krookodile. Those are the top two mons in the usage stats because those are valuable roles and most of the time they'll be the best picks for those roles. Krookodile sees use because even though its worse than Arcanine and Garchomp in those two roles, it combines them. If you build a team and you end up needing Intimidate and a fast Ground-type and you only have one free slot, Krookodile is your guy. It can also be the best choice for Intimidate if you want to use Marowak and Tapu Fini, for example. Arcanine and Gyarados would have overlapping types, Salamence would be weakened by your own Terrain, but Krookodile works fine with both of those.
Thanks, U gues I'll go with garchomp then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)