Resource Creative and Underrated Sets

Approved by The Immortal, OP stolen from ginganinja by way of me 14 months ago, Adrian Marin and Ranger Mike

Creative and Underrated Sets:

Generation VII Ladders Megathread

For original sets in 1v1, Almost Any Ability, Anything Goes,
Balanced Hackmons, Camomons, Mix and Mega, and STABmons

Hello everyone! This generation, instead of having separate, relatively inactive creative sets threads for each ladder, there's going to be one megathread. Here are some of the criteria for what qualifies as a creative or underrated sets, complete with past examples, mainly from the BH and 1v1 metagames.
1. What is a creative moveset?
  • It has not previously been widely used. (In BH, Regirock was not widely used before Flint began using it with RegenVest as a Mega Rayquaza check last generation.)
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by other Pokemon in that role. (Jumpluff is not strictly outclassed by Whimsicott as a SubSeeder in 1v1; in fact, because it does not use priority, it has the edge against many Dark-type Pokemon and Tapu Lele.)
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends. (Sets that use multihit moves are popular in BH currently due to Sash spam.)
  • It has had some success, perhaps on the ladder or in tournaments. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case. You must include an explanation of your set, or your post will be deleted. Please also accompany your set with a clear indication of which metagame it's for.
2. What is an underrated moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common. Perhaps it had more use in a previous generation or iteration of the metagame but has since fallen by the wayside. (RegenVest Primal Kyogre, originally used with regular Kyogre in early XY, has become more common with the rise of Water Bubble.)
  • It is meant to prey on specific facets of the current metagame. (Similar to above "metagame trends" point.)
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a bad gimmick in order to do so. (Primal Groudon can use Pixilate to surprise typical checks like Giratina and Zygarde-Complete without sacrificing its functionality as a Ground-type attacker.)
If what you post is a bad gimmick, your post will be deleted.

3. What are some things that constitute a bad gimmick? (includes NEW examples from the old thread, some posted by good players!)
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in the given metagame, for the sake of using it in that metagame (Level 1 Nosepass should not be used rather than level 2 Probopass, which strictly outclasses it, in 1v1 — and both are really bad anyway.)
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets (In AG, Thunder on CM Steel Arceus), or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter (in BH, Gunk Shot Sturdy Shedinja).
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon (Foongus with any moveset should not be used in any current ladder OM.)
Happy posting!

Last edited:
Hall of Fame

UnleashOurPassion
Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

aesf
Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Scald

The Hall of Fame is a highly selective repository for the best sets posted in this thread, reserved for only the most influential creative and underrated movesets. Do not expect to make it in as you might have into my archive last generation, largely because I will consult at least one respected "representative" from the given metagame for which sets should be included.

List of representatives:

Last edited:
Alright, lets kick this off before pikachuun floods it with a mix and mega set
Garchomp @ Metagrossite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
I've really been liking this set so far in Mix and Mega. A really fast rocker that forces out Primal Groudon (unlike, say, deoxys-S) is really good in Mix and Mega, while Swords Dance and a great dual stab lets it break a lot of stall teams, including Cresselia stall teams; even ice beam only does 80% at max (0 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 240-284 (67.2 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), while moonblast doesn't even stop it from setting up. Since Cresselia, Toxapex, Magearna and Blissey are the most common sablenite users and are all forced out by Garchomp, it can set rocks even versus most stall. It's really fast, so even the likes of Manaphy can't take it out before it attacks. Its typing does have resistances, but +2 252 Atk Tough Claws Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 153-180 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO means it can break past Blue Orb Skarm. Celesteela can't do anything back and can only subseed to survive, which is easy to switch into, so only Tapu Bulu and Togekiss really punish this set.

I used this to hit Gold for the current CLC on day 1, and it hasn't failed to pull its weight yet.

E: Didn't think I had any, but apparently I do have 1. I'll add more ladder as I go for platinum.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-513644227 Trades 1 for 1, and sets rocks to boot, allowing me to nearly pull out the win.

Last edited:
And I suppose the Metagrossite is solely to speed creep other Garchomps. Luacrionite is even better at being a pest to walls, mind you.

Though I'm here to share some of my BH sets.

Solgaleo @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- V-create
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades

This one seems really strange and random, but every move has a reason to be there. This is in fact a suicide lead/mon, and the moveset reflects that. Sunsteel Strike is STAB that kills Shedinja dead, V-Create nukes Steels while lowering your defenses, Stealth Rocks is obligatory lead move, and Precipice Blades is to make sure Primal Groudon doesn't get a clear getaway. EVs are to creep more defensive threats to make sure you get off as much damage as possible before this is KOed. Innards Out... is the genius of the set, and usually means Solgaleo will take something with it.

Sadly, I forgot where the tourney replays went for this. I know I used a very similar set in tourneys, and saved the replay...

dreamscape (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Lash
- Extreme Speed
- Shore Up

This is probably a gimmick, but one that eats Psychic Terrain alive, while also being a credible threat on its own (mainly to stall). Ideally, you'll want to slow pivot to this. EVs can probably be made better for this. Earthquake is chosen over Thousand Arrows in order to not make this nearly impossible to Impostorproof. Fire Lash is really good STAB that also gives defense an imaginary timer, Shore Up is healing, and Extreme Speed puts the hurt on frail mons that lack Dazzling/Queenly, thanks to the terrain change. Impostorproof with a Flash Fire flying type. Bake for 10-15 minutes for ideal heating of the opposing team. Then, enjoy your meal.

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-508445746
While this replay is before I made it a Red Orb Groudon, this illustrates my point on handling Deoxys spam.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Okie so I have a unique set for Sketchmons with one of my fave new mons from SuMo.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heart Swap / Acupressure
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Substitute

I love using Unaware Pyukumuku thanks to the abundance of setup mons in the current metagame. With this set, Pyukumuku can steal the opponents boosts and be able to Pass these boosts to a sweepers on ur own team. AcuPass sets are also really cool and can cheese the opponent out if you get lucky with Evasion boosts. This set might sound gimmicky, but it has been working out for me quite well and I implore other to try it out if you feel otherwise.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sketchmons-511705625
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sketchmons-511251667

Last edited:

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Here's a PDon set I made with the help of UC, which imo is far and away the best PDon set for the current meta:

Groudon-Primal @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bonemerang
- Frost Breath

- V-create
- Sunsteel Strike

Bonemerang just hits insanely hard with Technician, and beats Sash users. V-Create is V-Create, and Sunsteel Strike beats Sturdinja. Frost Breath, though, is the key to the set, due to this calc:
0 SpA Life Orb Technician Groudon-Primal Frost Breath vs. 200 HP / 64+ SpD Zygarde on a critical hit: 640-754 (102.7 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(I changed the HP to match Zyg-100% and put random EVs in there just to show how strong this hits)
Essentially, this 2HKOs almost the entire meta, and OHKOs a large percentage of it. Giratina, MAudino, Buzzwole, ded ded ded.
To imposter proof it, I run Fur Coat MSlowbro, but you can try switching the moves a bit to make other mons work (Sunsteel Strike, notably).
This auto wins vs most stall if you hit 90% moves, btw
Replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-511015752

Levitate Water types might also be able to Impostor-proof that particular Primal Groudon, due to being able to take punishment from it. It is also obliterated by Water Bubble spam right now, so do be wary of that.
Otherwise, I can attest to that set being incredibly good, and being able to destroy Stall teams.

lost heros

Meme Master
I might as well take a crack at this with my favorite new 1v1 set: Umbreon

Umbreon @ Fairium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Charm
- Moonlight
- Foul Play
- Snarl

The basis of this set is to live a strong hit and use Z-Charm turn 1. Then while the opposing physical attacker tries to hurt you, you easily shrug off the 1/3rd damage it did before with moonlight. After that just hit them with some Foul Plays while they try to hurt you/set up and boom easy win. This pretty much always works again Crustle, Gyarados-Mega, and Charizard-Mega-X (assuming they don't sub turn 1). But wait there's more! Thanks to Umbreon's copious special bulk you can even beat Charizard-Mega-Y if you predict correctly and Moonlight turn 1 until you exit the sun and then use snarl. Even more impressive about this particular Umbreon is that it's immune to Trick thanks to it's Z-Crystal, can use Z-Charm after Taunt, and has synchronize to synchronize annoying Toxic, which all means that the majority of Stall answers fail to answer Umbreon. All in all, this 'mon has helped me climb to hight 1500s and still climbing.

I'll probably edit in more replays later.

Last edited:
Alright, here I am to bring you a moveset that I used a lot in gen 6 and still works preety nice in gen 7! This gengar is different from standard Shell smash+Judgment or Normalize Gengars, and revealed to be quite creative and most of teams are not prepared do face a set like this one.

[SET]
name: Nighter Shadow
move 1: Sing
move 2: Hex
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Inferno/ Zap Cannon/Blizzard
item: Focus Sash/Lum Berry
ability: No Guard
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Great Advantages
========

- Powerful Status problem+Stab Hex combo. Hex is STAB and is here instead of Shadow Ball and Judgment Ghost because it doubles the power when the target has a bad status condition, what is great because Sing and Inferno are here to do that work and we have a 65x2=130 power attack without using any item (Judgment).
-Blizzard hits Zygarde quite well, since Zyga can wall this set, specially Poison Heal.
-Gengar has a high base speed which allows him to outspeed a large number of pokemons with its 394 max speed in order to put them to sleep quickly or use a always "boring" 100% Inferno/Zap Cannon move. It outspeeds many offensive threats like Groudon, Mega Latios, Tyranitar, Diancie, Rayquaza(which is no longer -ate most of the times now in gen 7) etc...
-Gengar has a great Special Attack stat reaching 439 (Timid) alongside with high powered moves which allows him to make a great damage on unprepared foes.
-Good check to Poison Heal abusers like Kyogre, Mega Tyranitar, Yveltal, Mega Gyarados if you predict a switch, you simply ruin their strategy with Inferno/Zap Cannon.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
For Mix and Mega, I have this:

Mandibuzz @ Sablenite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog / Taunt / Whirlwind
- U-turn

With Sablenite Mandibuzz gets a massive 110/155/145 bulk, and with access to Roost and great typing, becomes a good and underrated wall. And since MnM is dominated by physical sweepers, Foul Play hits them hard.

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 147-174 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 199-235 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Golisopod Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 153-180 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Golisopod: 160-189 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO

236+ Atk Groudon-Primal Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 160-190 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (offensive Groudon)
0 SpA Groudon Lava Plume vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mandibuzz: 63-75 (14.8 - 17.7%) -- possible 6HKO (defensive Groudon)
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 144-171 (37.9 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (offensive Groudon)
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon: 109-129 (27 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (defensive Groudon)

252+ Atk Aerilate Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 68-80 (16 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Genesect Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 209-247 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO (damn)
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Genesect: 220-261 (77.7 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 184-218 (43.4 - 51.5%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 205-242 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for BH, this set has been working for me well:

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Shift Gear
- Shore Up / Substitute
- Ice Punch / Ice Hammer / Spectral Thief

Fur Coat boosts Zygarde's defenses to a sky-high 224 base Defense, making it wall anything that's not Ice type. It can then set up and quickly overwhelm the opponent.

252 Atk Deoxys-Attack Pulverizing Pancake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Zygarde: 124-147 (19.4 - 23.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery (damn)

+2 252 Atk Regigigas Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Zygarde: 228-268 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- 89.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Sky Plate Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Zygarde: 112-133 (17.6 - 20.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (damn)

+3 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Power Trip (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Zygarde: 412-486 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252 Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Zygarde: 279-328 (43.8 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Today I'm here to show all of you the center of my latest BH team in progress: Choice Specs Xurkitree.

Xurkitree @ Choice Specs
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

The basic premise behind this set is that you pivot Xurkitree in on a defensive mon like Registeel or Giratina, then just spam moves. Most players will be cautious and switch in their Ground-types, so you should go for the appropriate coverage move when you get it in. The Speed EVs outspeed a paralyzed Mega Mewtwo Y. This set can be imposter-proofed with a Sturdy Shedinja or some weird Volt Absorb set if you're into that kind of thing. (As such, it pairs well with Mold Breaker Pursuit users.)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Galvanize Xurkitree Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 478-564 (125.1 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 492-579 (128.7 - 151.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-518602502

This set might look pretty broken and destructive on paper, but in practice it rarely does anything against offense. If you want to try this mon out, I'd recommend two approaches:

1. Put it on an offense team with faster mons, like Pheromosa or Choice Scarf users. It needs these Pokémon to beat opposing offensive teams, while they can use U-Turn or Volt Switch to pivot into it against defensive teams.

2. Stack your team with defensive pivots. Throw in a Glare or Nuzzle user to help Xurkitree get more opportunities to attack. Defensive teams aren't that good right now though so it might be worth waiting for a few bans before using this approach.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Here's a cool set to go with it:

Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Earth Power / Trick / Sunsteel Strike / U-Turn
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Bolt Strike

I personally use Fake Out in the first slot for chip damage, bluffing FakeSpeed, and Triage Ray, but apparently those run Shell Smash over Tail Glow now? Earth Power smacks Groudon, and Trick can be useful but I don't like it because it gives imposters a hint about what you're doing. Knock Off is nice to hit those Steels.

The reason why this set has been so effective for me is that it gets stuff done. It can outspeed a variety of offensive mons such as Ash Greninja, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Scarf Primals, and Frustration can OHKO the mons you know and love.

252 Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 327-385 (92.6 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO ok so I lied a little
252 Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Frustration vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar-Mega: 294-346 (112.2 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kyurem-Black Bolt Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyogre-Primal: 378-446 (110.8 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-527920968

edit2: scarf skill link is better

Last edited:

Today I'm here to show all of you the center of my latest BH team in progress: Choice Specs Xurkitree.

Xurkitree @ Choice Specs
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

The basic premise behind this set is that you pivot Xurkitree in on a defensive mon like Registeel or Giratina, then just spam moves. Most players will be cautious and switch in their Ground-types, so you should go for the appropriate coverage move when you get it in. The Speed EVs outspeed a paralyzed Mega Mewtwo Y. This set can be imposter-proofed with a Sturdy Shedinja or some weird Volt Absorb set if you're into that kind of thing. (As such, it pairs well with Mold Breaker Pursuit users.)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Galvanize Xurkitree Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 478-564 (125.1 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 492-579 (128.7 - 151.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-518602502

This set might look pretty broken and destructive on paper, but in practice it rarely does anything against offense. If you want to try this mon out, I'd recommend two approaches:

1. Put it on an offense team with faster mons, like Pheromosa or Choice Scarf users. It needs these Pokémon to beat opposing offensive teams, while they can use U-Turn or Volt Switch to pivot into it against defensive teams.

2. Stack your team with defensive pivots. Throw in a Glare or Nuzzle user to help Xurkitree get more opportunities to attack. Defensive teams aren't that good right now though so it might be worth waiting for a few bans before using this approach.

Thanks for reading!
Silver_Lucario42 nice set, but in order to make it more "ofensive", why not add Shell Smash? That would make your Xurkitree an nuclear weapon after the boosts! This way you get rid of Specs, your attack options per turn grow, you free your item to something more useful, like a Focus Sash (with this item, it can be an excellent late game sweeper) or Safety Googles, and last but not the least, you overcome your low speed problem. Just a suggestion, hope i helped :)

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 128 Atk / 164 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- King's Shield
- Judgment
- Sunsteel Strike
- Shell Smash

Stance Change Aegislash in BH is a remarkable example of using a Pokemon's vanilla ability as a lure. I certainly didn't invent this set, but I have refined it a bit to account for recent metagame changes, adding an EV spread that does the following after a Shell Smash:
  • OHKOs any Mega Audino, thanks to Sunsteel Strike bypassing Unaware and Fur Coat: +2 128 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega: 410-486 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Reaches 462 Speed, outpacing everything unboosted up to Pheromosa (441) and Choice Scarf base 90 Speed Pokemon like Primal Groudon (460), which it OHKOs.
There are some additional benefits of various aspects of the set, such as Judgment's anti-Imposter nature (especially in combination with Chansey being trapped in the form it starts in, making either its defenses or Sunsteel Strike less effective), Stance Change's hardcodedness preventing ability removal from Entrainment or Core Enforcer, Sunsteel Strike's ability to beat Shedinja, King's Shield's scouting utility, etc. The set's main flaw is that it lacks the raw power characteristic of many BH sweepers. Though it's not hard to get a Shell Smash off, certain important defensive Pokemon, such as Zygarde-Complete and Registeel (it's possible to use Secret Sword instead of Sunsteel Strike if this is really a concern), withstand hits even at +2. As such, hazard support and offensive pressure from -ate users (for Zygarde; Diancie-Mega also helps with Yveltal and Mega Gyarados) and Primal Groudon (for Steel-types) is a good idea.

Overall, it's not necessarily a reliable set, but is a fun one to use that, in spite of its questionable offensive coverage, can frequently catch opponents off guard.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I have a good pokemon to help punish Defoggers. A little gimmicky, but this thread is all about that, right?

Defog I Dare You (Marshadow) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Instruct
- High Jump Kick / Close Combat
- Spectral Thief

Since it's Ghost type it blocks Rapid Spin (unless -ate or Scrappy, but very few people run that). You first use Spiky Shield to see if the opponent will use Defog, then use Instruct to make them use Defog twice, boosting you to +4. Then sweep. Luckily Marshadow's STABs have great type coverage. You can run Close Combat if you don't like High Jump Kick's crash damage.

Balanced Hackmons

Zygarde @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Prankster / Triage / Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy or Relaxed Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt / W-o-w
- Shore Up

Pair Zygarde with entry hazard setters, as well as teammates that can KO the common Phazers: Magic Bounce Registeel or Poison Heal Giratina, and you have yourself a dangerous stalling machine.
The
Metal Burst is Steel - meaning it has no Type Immunities, and hits foes at 150% of the damage they dealt to Zygarde, regardless of whether the move is a Physical or Special Attack.

Lagging Tail means moves in the same speed priority bracket as the foe always go last, which ensures Metal Burst is used after the foe, since it has 0 priority (unlike Mirror Coat and Counter).

Dragon Tail backed by Taunt forces the foe to either switch out or attack and get hit by Metal Burst, which is effective against stat boosters. Prankster is used for priority, however Triage can also be used if you want to hit Dark types with Taunt while still providing priority recovery in Shore Up, allowing it to now have +3 priority which outspeeds -ate Extreme Speeds.

W-o-w can be chosen instead of Taunt to cause passive damage, and since the goal is for Zygarde to stick around, reducing damage from physical hits allows it to focus EV and nature investment on Special Defense.

Zygarde is chosen for having high HP, decent defenses without an item (Eviolite Chansey fears Knock-off / Trick), and STAB off of Dragon Tail.

Keep in mind Lagging Tail always means Dragon Tail goes last versus other pHazers, so if you predict a pHazer move, use Taunt or W-o-w.

Lastly if you want to ensure that Zygarde can take physical hits you can opt for Fur Coat, which doubles Defense. However, I prefer Prankster Taunt and Shore Up to ensure it stops set up and heals faster. Plus the more damage it takes, the stronger Metal Burst is.
You can pair that with other creative and underated sets such as:

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Magma Storm
- Ice Hammer

Groudon is chosen for having high attack and great dual stab coverage as well as stab v-create, it's very underused so ppl often laugh at it on team preview but it can actually deal good damage if played correctly.

I pair it with this underated and creative set:

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moongeist Beam
- Tail Glow
- Secret Sword

Very fast and deals decent damage, mewtwo can often catch the opponent by surprise with this unexpected set, it threatens out some walls that Groudon struggles with like Ludicolo or Levitate Camerupt.

Overall I think BH right now is very open to creativity, as you can see with thoses sets. I reaches 1255 on ladder using those mons which really shows that Zygarde, mewtwoY and Groudon mega have potential in the meta if people gave them a shot.

Been running a set in Inheritance and it's actually really really good.

Nidoking (Pheromosa) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
- Megahorn
- Focus Blast/Superpower
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave/Shadow Ball/Flamethrower/Earthquake
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave/Shadow Ball/Flamethrower/Poison Jab

Nidoking's movepool is absurdly deep with a huge selection of fantastic options, the vast majority of which are boosted by Sheer Force. To put the power of this set into perspective, Focus Blast is an extremely clean 2HKO (over 60% on average) against standard Chansey. The best coverage I've had so far is Megahorn, Focus Blast (seriously, this move cuts some resists in half, the power is disgusting), Ice Beam, and Sludge Wave with a Life Orb. I originally planned on using a Z-Crystal, but then I ran some calcs and found out that all the targets I wanted were simply O/2HKO'd either by Megahorn, Focus Blast, or the appropriate coverage move, all boosted by a Life Orb. This is, in my opinion, Pheromosa's best set.

Last edited:
BH: MMX wallbreaker/anti-lead
Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Storm Throw
- Parting Shot / Gear Grind
- Beat Up
- Frost Breath / Dual Chop / Gear Grind

This set is a great anti-lead for fast and frail offensive teams. It has really solid coverage with just three moves, and Storm Throw only does slightly less damage than Close Combat with the technician boost. Did I mention thAT Beat Up is technician boosted also? It can do the following from full health:
OHKO Mold Breaker Deoxys-s so that it can only set up a single stealth rock.
Destroy focus sash Mega Gengar as it Shell Smashes. It can't survive a spooky plate judgment though
38% chance to survive MMY's psychic terrain boosted Psystrike and OHKO it back. A little defensive investment can make this chance even higher
Land an almost OHKO on non Fur Coat Registeel and severely cripple Aegislash, an easy 2hKO if your beat up is at full power
2hKO both phys def and Sp def Giratina as long as it doesn't carry WoW
Severely cripple Zygarde-C after stealth rock (83.8% minimum to physically defensive, 60% minimum to specially defensive). If you want even more damage, just switch to a hasty nature, which ups your damage to 93-110%!
Revenge kill choice specs Aerilate Mega Rayquaza locked into any of its moves
Survive a Kyurem-B extreme speed and ohko it back, though fake out + extreme speed requires some defensive investment to survive
If running gear grind, it can also:
2hKO physically defensive mega audino (66-78%), stalling out its recovery
almost OHKO bulky Xernias that try to set up rocks
Do even more damage to Kyurem-B and break its focus sash or substitute if it decides to use either one of those

What it can't kill
Impostors
Aerilate and pixelate extreme speed users such as Mega Diancie or Rayquaza OHKO it from full
Triage users, especially mega Rayquaza OWing
Greninja-ash (both timid specs as well as scarf outspeed and OHKO with Water Bubble boosted attacks)
Primal Groudon and Kyogre (it can deal about 70% to Kyogre, so make sure it's not scarfed and weaken it a bit first)
Yveltal, which can hit back with a spectral thief that takes half of Mewtwo's hp without any stat boosts

Last edited:
Survive mega gengar's unboosted Judgment and OHKO itthrough its focus sash
252 SpA Spooky Plate Gengar-Mega Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mewtwo-Mega-X: 480-566 (135.9 - 160.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Survive MMY's psychic terrain boosted Psystrike and OHKO it back
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo-Mega-X: 331-391 (93.7 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Land an OHKO on non Fur Coat Registeel and severely cripple Aegislash, an easy 2hKO if your beat up is at full power
252 Atk Technician Mewtwo-Mega-X Storm Throw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Registeel on a critical hit: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
This is uncommon, but still relevant...

This is a decent set, but you did calcs for a lot of what you said, so I'm not sure why you didn't do these.

Edited, it does beat sash gengar every time though even if it carries moongeist, and the four or five times I've faced MMY the psystrike must have hit a lower roll because MMX survived it and killed it back.

Here's one that I got.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability:Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Def
Calm Nature (-Atk, +Sp.Def)
Moves:
-Parting Shot
-Topsy-Turvy
-Recover
-Will-O-Wisp

You probably forgot Topsy-Turvy existed, didn't you? In such a setup heavy metagame, this Pokemon can be an absolute beast, as it is capable of stopping setups with moves like W-o-W, It can reverse setups that have already been completed on other pokemon on your team, as Topsy-Turvy inverts the stat changes of all Pokemon on the field. for example, if a Pokemon raised its attack by 6 stages, after Topsy-Turvy, it's stats would be LOWERED by 6 stages, meaning instead of it having x4 attack, it would have x0.25 attack. This would naturally force most Pokemon to switch out,giving you a safe switch back into any Pokemon you choose on your team, as well as you lowering the attacking stats of the opponent's Pokemon with Parting Shot. Recover is there mainly for sustain, but is not required, as in most situations you will just be stopping the setup then switching out, so be a bit creative, although I do recommend a healing move.

Here's one that I got.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability:Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Def
Calm Nature (-Atk, +Sp.Def)
Moves:
-Parting Shot
-Topsy-Turvy
-Recover
-Will-O-Wisp

You probably forgot Topsy-Turvy existed, didn't you? In such a setup heavy metagame, this Pokemon can be an absolute beast, as it is capable of stopping setups with moves like W-o-W, It can reverse setups that have already been completed on other pokemon on your team, as Topsy-Turvy inverts the stat changes of all Pokemon on the field. for example, if a Pokemon raised its attack by 6 stages, after Topsy-Turvy, it's stats would be LOWERED by 6 stages, meaning instead of it having x4 attack, it would have x0.25 attack. This would naturally force most Pokemon to switch out,giving you a safe switch back into any Pokemon you choose on your team, as well as you lowering the attacking stats of the opponent's Pokemon with Parting Shot. Recover is there mainly for sustain, but is not required, as in most situations you will just be stopping the setup then switching out, so be a bit creative, although I do recommend a healing move.
Nobody ever forgot topsy turvy existed. Prankster topsy was super widely used last gen, the reason it sees less usage now is because of the introduction of priority blocking abilities and dark type buff. A dazzling mon or a ttar would be completely immune to this set and just having psyterrain up would make it useless.

Topsy-Turvy is probably best ran on Unawares, actually, due to the priority and Prankster nerfs. Even if they carry Sungeist Strikebeam, if you Topsy them, the move will ignore Unaware and will actually do less damage than any other move in that instance. Except maybe Stored Power Trip which would be down to BP 20. Then the Unaware can pivot or manual switch to just about anything.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Topsy-Turvy is probably best ran on Unawares, actually, due to the priority and Prankster nerfs. Even if they carry Sungeist Strikebeam, if you Topsy them, the move will ignore Unaware and will actually do less damage than any other move in that instance. Except maybe Stored Power Trip which would be down to BP 20. Then the Unaware can pivot or manual switch to just about anything.
The problem with this is that you have to take a hit first with the Unaware user. Mega Audino loses to Sunsteel Strike. Mega Slowbro loses to Moongeist Beam. Other stuff loses to miscellaneous Contrary coverage.

If you're looking to stop all setup sweepers, try Prankster Haze. Since it targets the field, it's not stopped by Dazzling and Dark-types.

The problem with this is that you have to take a hit first with the Unaware user. Mega Audino loses to Sunsteel Strike. Mega Slowbro loses to Moongeist Beam. Other stuff loses to miscellaneous Contrary coverage.

If you're looking to stop all setup sweepers, try Prankster Haze. Since it targets the field, it's not stopped by Dazzling and Dark-types.
Never said it was the best anti-boosting strategy, just probably the best use of Topsy-Turvy right now. But yeah, our defensive Unaware selection is kinda bleh right now thanks to Sungeist and Power Trip.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Got some sets for 1v1:
Buge (Araquanid) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Mirror Coat
Araquanid can sponge hits from just about any special attacker and hit back with a Mirror Coat. Ability is also extremely useful, making Liquidation into a nuke.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 232 Def / 60 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Solar Beam
- Blast Burn
- Air Slash
This Charizard Y set is designed to lure in Mega Gyarados and beat it. Outspeeds jolly Gyarados, takes a +1 hit from adamant Gyarados and KOs max HP Gyarados with HP Electric+Solar Beam regardless of wether it megas or not.

Buge (Genesect) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Download
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 100 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon
This thing lives things you'd never expect it to and even with only 100 SpA, Specs+Download still lets you bop a lot of stuff. I designed this to beat both members of the Mega Gyarados+Mega Metagross core.

Pie (Mimikyu) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 176 Atk / 92 Def / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
Honestly, this is the best Mimikyu set there is in the meta; more people need to use it. It beats stuff normal Mimikyu never would like Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, Black Kyurem and Donphan.

Barbara (Barbaracle) (F) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 116 HP / 208 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Shell Smash
- Dual Chop/Razor Shell
Peaked the 1v1 ladder with Barbaracle. One thing I like about it is that it beats all variants of Mega Gyarados.

Great Wall of Derp (Quagsire) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
This thing is legitimately amazing. As long as your opponent doesn't crit you does less than 86% to you on the first hit, you're pretty much gonna win.

Virus (Deoxys-Speed) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 152 HP / 120 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Recover
Outspeed opponents as fast as ScarfChomp and use appropriate Z-move to cut their damage output to 1/3. Spam Psychic and Recover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)