SM UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I am nominating Bewear to B or B-. I posted more about it here, but the summary for those who don't want to read the post is that it does a lot of damage, has the coverage to KO what it wants to, is very bulky on the physical side thanks to 120/80 physical defenses and Fluffy, can check some prominent Pokemon like Scizor and Bisharp, and is extremely threatening to slower teams. However, it's held back by mediocre Speed, a typing that isn't particularly impressive offensively or defensively, and the fact that Fluffy gives it a weakness to Fire-type attacks.

I am nominating Bewear to B or B-. I posted more about it here, but the summary for those who don't want to read the post is that it does a lot of damage, has the coverage to KO what it wants to, is very bulky on the physical side thanks to 120/80 physical defenses and Fluffy, can check some prominent Pokemon like Scizor and Bisharp, and is extremely threatening to slower teams. However, it's held back by mediocre Speed, a typing that isn't particularly impressive offensively or defensively, and the fact that Fluffy gives it a weakness to Fire-type attacks.
Completely agree, but my preferred rating is B. Like said, Bewear can hit INCREDIBLY hard and take incredibly well, having almost no safe switch ins with it (Gengar dies to Shadow Claw, Aero to Ice Punch, etc.) The coverage it gets is good enough for it to be able to hit almost anything super effectively, especially some of its checks with the notable exception of Clefable. Giving it AV works too, as it gives it the ability to even with 0 HP live a +1 Moonblast from standard CM Clefable and possibly some other stuff, such as a possible chance of living LO Focus Blast from Gengar. The reason I'm saying no higher than B- is that it's weak to some of the most prominent special attackers in the meta, Fluffy giving it an extra weakness to a good offensive type, and it being very slow to the point where it gets easily destroyed by faster threats to it, sometimes even physical ones.

Agree with Clefable going to S.

Last edited:

I completely agree with you, Bewear is a monster and with assault vest it can put in some work and also with choice band. 60 speed is actually decent for a bulky offensive mon and Fluffy can be a drawback. Even if it can survive 3 aerial aces from megadactyl or 3 close combats from cobalion and 2 hjk's from mienshao it still gets destroyed by fire moves

For Example:

252 Atk Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fluffy Bewear: 403-475 (90.7 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bewear: 297-349 (66.8 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fluffy Bewear: 711-837 (160.1 - 188.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bewear: 292-345 (65.7 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and so on...

Bewear is a powerful bulky offensive mon contrary to its drawbacks and can severely dent or OHKO prominent Pokemon that are in UU rn

252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 422-498 (130.6 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Return vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Clefable: 276-325 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Hammer Arm vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 262-309 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 286-337 (88.5 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 291-343 (90 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 291-343 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

And I think you get the point...

So I think Bewear should be B-, B, or possibly B+ (but I don't see you guys making it B+)

Hope you enjoyed reading this!

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys o/ I wanted to talk about the Bugs and the Bees, ye I made that joke.

Anyways:

Venomoth @ Buginium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Sleep Powder / Substitute

• I had to ask myself "why isn't this even ranked?", the sheer power of a Z-move+Quiver dance is just obnoxious (I'll post some calcs). It has quite a few mons it can setup on right now like Clefable, choice locked Keldeo, Amoongus, etc. Pearl told me it was hot garbage so I ain't asking for high ranking or something but it definitely deserves a mention if Pokemon like Salazzle get a position in C-rank.
Scizor:
+1 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 342-402 (99.7 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Crobat:
+1 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 198-234 (63.6 - 75.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Aerodactyl:
+1 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 346-408 (114.9 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And now for the other half of the joke..the bee...ha ha...okay ill continue:

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

• I was sceptical about this mon, but after using it for hours on ladder I found it very effective versus offence being able to 1HKO-2HKO most mons found on the playstyle. I believe it was YMAS who brought it up in the first place not sure, but ill be seconding his nom. I would honestly put this next to swellow or at least a high C+ just due to the sheer amount of pressure it puts on offences. Ill show you some calcs. Swellow of course hits a lot harder, but Ribombee comes with defensive utility in a 4x fighting resist as well as dragon immunity that can really hurt offence.
Bisharp:
252 SpA Choice Specs Ribombee Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 250-295 (92.2 - 108.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ribombee: 218-257 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aerodactyl:
252 SpA Choice Specs Ribombee Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 195-231 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Mienshao:
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ribombee: 93-110 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Hydreigon:
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ribombee: 85-101 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO

CM Clefable:
252 SpA Choice Specs Ribombee Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 204-241 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So ye thats about all I have to say regarding those two mons. On the topic of Bewear I do agree with Amaroq that it should be ranked a bit higher since its a nice check to a lot of the metas offensive mons like sharpedo or scizor (can't have too many of those) that can easily fit on BO cores.

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, Bewear could probably rise to as high as B+. Using it is almost as simple as coming in safely on just about any physical attacker ever that isn't a Fire-type, or directly switching into the many physical attackers that can't 2HKO it, and then grabbing a KO from there. More often than not, there's no prediction needed since the tier doesn't see too much usage for Ghosts and there's not even a decent amount of mons that make for a good switch into Return. It's bulk from the special side isn't that great, but I think it's good to note that it's not the worst thing in the world either due to its 120 Base HP. It can take a hit from things like Clef, Scarf Hydrei, Specs Raikou, and the Nidos, and almost surely grab a kill before it goes down. Looking at the rest of B+, I definitely think Bewear is on par with, if not better than most of the mons in there.

Dodrio Unranked -> C or C+ or B-

Dodrio has amazing offensive stats 110 Speed and 110 Attack, has access to STAB Brave Bird, STAB Return, priority Quick A ttack, Pursuit, Knock Off, and Jump Kick a powerful coverage move that hits Rock - Ice types hard. It can work as a revenge killer, set up sweeper, wallbreaker, and stallbreaker. But, 60/70/60 defenses doesn't help this pokemon, it gets weared down easily, and status cripplest it. Choice Scarf, Life Orb, Choice Band, or Lum Berry can work on this mon. This mon can be paired with Primarina to break Grass Types as well as Swampert, and Swampert can absorb all the Rock, Ice, and Electric attacks. It can also be paired with Blissey to fight off Fighting types.

But here's a way that it can fit in C+

252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma: 186-220 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 226-266 (75 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 262-309 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dodrio Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 158-186 (48.9 - 57.5%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO

It can basically 2HKO or OHKO most of the tier.

It really can pull tricks up its sleeves (or feet but no need to be technical)

Anyways, I hope this gave you guys an insight on how Dodrio can function well in this and try using Dodrio for yourselfs

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Seems like a valid nomination but do you have any replays showcasing Dodrio?
I would be interested in seeing it in action and whether it actually performs the way you described, not having tried it out myself (yet).

Also I think replays are actually mandatory for nominations of unranked mons D:

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here are my two cents.

I also agree with Bewear hitting that B+ rank. Its offensive utility as a hard hitting attacker with a unique typing and suprisingly great physical bulk gives it quite the niche. But I believe Choice Band, its most discussed set, isn't its only good set. Assault Vest is also a great idea for Bewear, patching up its special defense and allowing it to be quite the pivot for balance teams. Swords Dance and Bulk Up sets are also good, but aren't nearly as good as Band and AV (lets pray for Knock Off + Drain Punch move tutors).

Venomoth - I think Venomoth can easily be C or even C+ rank. Its a sleeper threat that benefited most greatly from the intrpduction of Z-Moves. Bugium Z sets are popular, but I believe offensive sets (QD+2 attacks) are also good as well, specifically to beat almost all variants of Clefable. Here is where the praise ends. Its poor speed and power prior to set up makes it deadweight against offense. Its reliance on set up makes Unaware, phazing and Haze quite viable ways of shutting it down. The presense of Alakazam also makes life hell, as it can easily revengekill a boosted Moth with its Sash set, and always beat ut unboosted if LO. But Moth still deserves the C+ ranking.

Bisharp - A+ drop. Agree. I can't elaborate any furthur why Bisharp has fallen in favour due to metagame thrends any more than others have already done, but I can say this - Bisharp's fraility and reliance on Sucker Punch against a rather fast paced metagame, a loss in momentum can be detrimental to its entire team. Its still the best (arguably) Pursuit trapper available and is a goid Fairy check. It reminds me of Krookodile in late ORAS. Really great and has S Rank potential, but doesn't have quite the effect of the other S ranked mons (which should include Clef by now).

Ribombee. I'd like to see more discussion on it before I can make a conclusion.

Mega Absol | B+ > A-
Mega Absol is probably one of the most scary things to face right now, not gonna lie. It forces so much 50/50s against things such as Alakazam, weakened Mega Aerodactyl, by having Pursuit on its set. Pursuit Absol traps key threats such as Latias and Gengar too, what means it's an excellent teammate for Fighting-types that struggle against the aforementioned Pokémon, such as Cobalion and Keldeo. Absol's Swords Dance set is really dangerous too, as it threatens so much tier staples at +2, not to mention that it has solid coverage options, such as Superpower, Iron Tail and Play Rough. I definitely agree with this nomination.

Alakazam | A > A+
Alakazam is easily one of the most dominating Pokémon in the tier right now. This thing hits like a truck if holding Life Orb, not to mention that with a specific EV spread (80 Def / 176 SpA / 252 Spe) it survives one Pursuit from Jolly Bisharp (if not holding Life Orb/Black Glasses), an Aerial Ace/Pursuit from Mega Aerodactyl, one Bullet Punch from offensive Scizor (if not holding Life Orb), one Shadow Sneak from Doublade, and etc.! I've been running Encore on Life Orb a lot, as it allows Alakazam to easily wallbreak and threaten fatter builds such as semi-stall and balance. Focus Sash sets are a pain to face if you're using offense squads, not to mention that it is the best revenge killer in the tier. Alakazam is deserving a higher ranking. Counter Zam is neat too.

Clefable | A+ > S
I won't even talk too much about this nomination because I won't waste my time talking about how good it is. It just puts a huge amount of pressure in any kind of playstyle, from the passive Stealth Rock set to the super dangerous LO + CM set. This Pokémon is just too good (and I hope it gets banned soon).

Mega Aerodactyl | A+ > S
This mon should be S rank in ORAS but whatever lol. Mega Aerodactyl is probably one of the most versatile Pokémon in the tier due to its large movepool (having to pick between Earthquake, Pursuit, Roost, Taunt, Aqua Tail, Aerial Ace, and Crunch is actually really hard), what means it can check what it wants to check based on its team and what it needs more. It's the best Pursuit trapper, a solid setup sweeper due to Hone Claws, unpredictable, and the fastest Pokémon in the tier. I think that these qualities are enough to make Mega Aerodactyl an S ranked Pokémon.

Bewear | C+ > B/B+
This thing is busted as hell, and I'm going to agree that it's deserving a huge rise on Viability Rankings. First of all, its STAB combination allows it to hit the entire tier for neutral damage, bar Ghost-types, that aren't issues anyway since Bewear has two free slots to wreck these (usually Ice Punch and Earthquake, but Shadow Claw and Toxic is lit too). Its ability allows it to check or even counter some tier staples, such as Decidueye, Mega Absol, and Mega Sharpedo. This bear puts a huge amount of pressure on bulkier squads, so yeah, this thing is deserving a rise, B+ is fine for me, but B reflects its role on the metagame much better than B+ imo.

Now sum noms of my own oo

Gliscor | A- > A
I just love Gliscor right now. This thing is balance's nightmare, not only because its ability is super good against these, but mostly because it has a great movepool and a really, really solid special bulk. This bat takes 50% from Scarf Hydreigon's Draco Meteor, this means it can either Swords Dance on it or Roost and then start the setup. Its typing is really great, giving it two immunities in Ground and Electric, not to mention that it resists Poison and Fighting, two of the most important types in the tier. Gliscor takes advantage of Knock Off users too if Toxic Orb already activated, what means it can KO Bisharp with Earthquake and setup Swords Dance on Krookodile. This thing is a beast right now and it's definitely deserving a higher ranking.

Nidoqueen | B > B+
This Pokémon is by far one of the strongest special attackers in the tier due to its solid offensive typing and its huge amount of coverage options. I'd say that it is deserving a higher ranking mostly because it's a hard check to Clefable, 2HKOing it at +1, not to mention that Nidoqueen outspeeds Timid Primarina, standard Gliscor and Adamant Bisharp with the right EV spread, what means it has a solid Speed tier. Furthermore, it can play a defensive role on semi-stall teams, acting as a Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes setter and a check to Cobalion. Nidoqueen is super dangerous right now and it's deserving a higher ranking imho.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Just my thoughts on some of the nominations, I'll try not to repeat too much of what has been said (even though I probably did)

Bewear C+ -> B/B+ Yes
Bewear is heavily underrated considering it almost fell to RU during that "19 rises fiasco" and the fact that it was ranked in C+. Bewear checks many of the physical top tier threats with Fluffy + its enormous HP and passable defense stat such as Bisharp, Scizor, Mega Aerodactyl (Fluffy makes Wing Attack neutral), Krookodile and more. Offensive teams do not have switch ins to its Choice Band set (Gengar is the only one I can think of but, doesn't appreciate Ice Punch) while being able to pressure bulky/semi stall teams since nothing appreciates a banded Return/Hammer Arm. The drawbacks of Bewear are mostly its special bulk but, it can take at least 1 hit from specially offensive Pokemon like Gengar and Latias. Overall, I would say Bewear should rise to B since it can always rise again some time in the future as it is a very solid Pokemon in the meta.

Ribombee C -> C+ Yes
After playing around with the Choice Specs set during Research Week, I'm honestly pretty impressed with Ribombee's performance. Ribombee holds a pretty solid Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the unboosted meta (Pokemon such as Alakazam, Keldeo, Latias, etc.). Ribombee being one of the only fast Fairy-types in the tier is also a nice selling point as well. While its Special Attack stat is a bit lackluster, with Choice Specs it is able to take out what it needs in 1-2 hits. For now, I would say C+ since it can always be nominated again.

Gliscor A- -> A Yes
I, along with a few others, brought up a Gliscor rise a couple weeks back I think. Anyways, Gliscor is very solid right now. Gliscor puts a lot of pressure on semi-stall/passive play styles due to Taunt and Swords Dance. It has a great defensive typing that allows it to check Pokemon like Bisharp, Krookodile, and Cobalion while also having a workable SpDef stat which allows it to take weaker Scalds decently well. Gliscor is also a very solid Knock Off switch in once it activates its Toxic Orb which is pretty great.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Update time!

Now that Victini has been retested (and rightfully banned), here comes the first real wave of changes to the viability rankings! I'll try to make every single change as detailed as possible (for changes that have been suggested in this thread, I'll simply be linking the respective posts and complementing them with additional information if necessary). Keep in mind that while the metagame hasn't changed much, people are slowly starting to figure out what works and what doesn't, so that's what I'll be basing all of the changes on.

To kick it off, the following Pokemon have been removed entirely from the list:

Gollisopod: I tried to give this Pokemon a chance, I really did, and while I know some players who had some moderate success with it, me and most people I've chatted with about Golisopod find it to be incredibly underwhelming in the current metagame. Basically, the best way of describing this Pokemon would be as a cluster of good traits, including a godlike stat distribution, including an above average typing, the strongest priority move in the game, Swords Dance/Bulk as setup options and a couple of interesting support moves in Spikes and Taunt, gimped by the absolutely worst ability in the game. Basically, you can theorize all you want with Golisopod, but you'll eventually realize that it is an extremely clunky Pokemon. This becomes even worse when you realize that the main target of its priority move, Mega Sharpedo, carries Protect pretty much all of the time, and ending up locked on First Impression due to Choice Band is one of the worst imaginable scenarios in the current metagame.

Smeargle: Due to its viability as a Sticky Web setter in upper tiers, I decided to give Smeargle a shot in UU. The realization I came to was that there's pretty much no reason to run it over either Galvantula or Shuckle. The way I see Smeargle is as a middle ground between both viable Sticky Web options, having access to both Stealth Rock + Sticky Web and a reasonably good Speed tier to back it up. However, in practice, it's very common to find yourself wishing you had either Shuckle's bulk or Galvantula's much superior Speed, and also that Smeargle doesn't really have what it takes to start off the game for hyper offensive teams, often becoming set up bait for faster Substitute or other set up move users in spite of having Taunt, while the Pokemon it competes with have the tools to stop that from happening.

Seismitoad: The perfect way of describing this Pokemon would be "bootleg Swampert/Gastrodon". Water Absorb and Knock Off are cool and all, but they're honestly not enough to justify using this over other Bulky Ground- and Water-type Pokemon, especially considering that it actually fails flat at checking many of the Water-types it is supposed to, with stuff like Keldeo, Primarina, Volcanion, Starmie and Blastoise having a lot of ways to play around it. This Pokemon used to be a valuable addition to teams back when Suicune was UU's premier Water-type Pokemon, but that's not really the case anymore, so rest in peace toad :(

However, keep in mind that if anyone finds any viable/unexplored niche for either of these Pokemon, I'm definitely willing to add them back! Expect other Pokemon to get removed as people test them out (looking at stuff like Comfey, Minior, Pyukumuku, Sylveon if Clefable doesn't leave the tier anytime soon and also Umbreon).

Besides that, the following Pokemon have been added to the list:

Venomoth: This one was actually an oversight on my part, since it was supposed to be in the original rankings. Honestly, I've tested it out and it's been pretty awful to me, often lacking the power to break through specially defensive Pokemon, although Tinted Lens coupled with Savage Spin-Out allows it to do some interesting stuff to common Bug-type "resists". Killintime sums up the advantages of using this Pokemon pretty decently, as it works as an amazing lure to bulky Steel- and Poison-types, while also discouraging most Pokemon that are immune to Sleep Powder from switching in, something that allows Venomoth to immediately cripple a Pokemon as soon as it gets into the field. Considering its unique niche and the fact that it packs the ability to single handily beat some teams with its Quiver Dance + Buginium Z set, I'm adding Venomoth to C-.

With all of this said, it's time to move onto actual changes! To kick it off, the following Pokemon have moved up in the rankings:

Alakazam (from A to A+)
For reference on this one, please check out Omfuga's and dodmen's posts.

Bewear (from C- to B-)
For reference on this one, please check out the infinite amount of posts that have been made about Bewear in the last page, including Amaroq's and Manipulative's. This one could potentially move even further up in the future, but I'm keeping it in B- for now just to be safe in case this is just getting overhyped.

Clefable (from A+ to S)
For reference on this one, please check out the many posts that have been made on this Pokemon since the last batch of nominations, including the previously linked dodmen post, as well as Manipulative's and Sun's posts.

Gastrodon (from B- to B)
For reference on this one, please check the previously linked Sun post. Although there wasn't much support for this one, I'm going along with it due to Gastrodon's insane role compression (god I hate using this term) ability, which allows it to act as a durable check to a ludicrous number of common UU threats, including Keldeo, Mega Aerodactyl, Raikou, and Volcanion to an extent, making it a phenomenal addition to many slow paced teams, including stall.

Infernape (from B- to B)
While I personally don't think that the posts supporting this nomination are that good, the point here is that people have realized how good this Pokemon can truly be, and being able to check Bisharp efficiently while retaining such offensive prowess is extremely valuable to fast paced teams. For starters, the sheer amount of viable sets this thing has is ridiculous, including option such as Choice Scarf, MixApe, Nasty Plot, Swords Dance and Suicide Lead (with Endeavor). Besides that, the combination of its many viable Z move options coupled with both of its set up moves can be devastating, either as a lure or as a one time way of guaranteeing that its Focus Blast doesn't miss.

Krookodile (from A- to A)
Although it doesn't look like it at a glance, Krookodile has become a lot more versatile this generation. Choice Scarf sets are now more viable than ever and the introduction of Z Moves gives Krookodile's Stealth Rock set yet another extremely good option in Steelium Z + Iron Tail, which works as a one time nuke against Pokemon such as Clefable and Mega Aerodactyl. Even though it hasn't been receiving as much usage as it had last generation, Choice Band Krookodile doesn't really need any sort of introduction, as it's still a legitimate set that wrecks people who mistake Dark-type answers for Bisharp answers only.

Nidoking (from B- to B)
This one is basically switching places with Nidoqueen, for reference. While both of them benefit from Clefable's introduction to the tier due to their ability to completely stop Moonblast + Thunder Wave variants of Calm Mind Clefable, Nidoking's superior Speed tier and access to Sucker Punch to play around Pokemon such as Latias and Alakazam have proven to be more useful than Nidoqueen's edge in bulk.

Slowbro (from B to B+)
For reference on this one, please check out the previously linked dodmen post. In my opinion, the main selling points behind Slowbro are its ability to check Cobalion flawlessly, its ability, which makes it extremely self-sufficient, and its respectable offensive presence for a defensive Pokemon, courtesy of its access to Calm Mind, Scald and good synergy with Z moves. It can also work as a soft check to Keldeo, stopping both Choice Scarf and Calm Mind variants cold, but Choice Specs can be trickier to play around, so running it as a team's sole answer to Keldeo can be dangerous.

Talonflame (from C to B-)
For reference on this one, please check out the previously linked dodmen post. For what it's worth, I personally believe that Talonflame is the Pokemon with the most untapped potential in the current metagame, and that it could easily move up even further once people start playing with its many viable sets. While dodmen has talked about Swords Dance + Supersonic Skystrike mostly, slower sets such as Bulk Up + Taunt, Taunt + Will-O-Wisp and Acrobatics can also work amazingly with proper support. It's staying in B- for now, but I expect it to become one of the most influential Pokemon eventually.

Togekiss (from B+ to A-)
Although there isn't any support behind this nomination in the thread, Togekiss is a massive pain for slower paced teams, having the ability to single handily beat stall after Unaware Clefable or Pyukumuku has been weakened. This, coupled with the limited number of checks it has and the fact that its typing and access to Thunder Wave allow it to retain a reasonable match up against offensive squads makes Togekiss a versatile Pokemon that is definitely able to compete with the big boys of UU.

The following Pokemon have been moved down in the rankings:

Tsareena (from B+ to B)
Although it isn't a necessarily bad Pokemon, Tsareena was probably overhyped a lot by the people who used it during beta. Being a Rapid Spin user with a unique typing and an exclusive ability does wonders to it, that's for sure, but it's just not enough to keep it so high on the rankings, which is why we have decided to move it down a little.

Decidueye (from B+ to B)
With the introduction of Unaware Clefable, Decidueye's role as a Ghost-type stallbreaker has become considerably harder to perform. It still retains its unique niche as a balance breaker, but Bisharp's presence, Sucker Punch being pretty much its only hope of hurting offense and the fact that stall now has a reliable answer to Decidueye's Swords Dance + Sinister Arrow Raid set are all facts that hurt this Pokemon's viability a lot.

Mantine (from B to B-)
Ever since it dropped, Mantine has been nothing but disappointing to me. On paper, it's a solid defensive Pokemon that can check Keldeo and other similarly popular Pokemon (including Cobalion) extremely well. In practice, it just gets worn down by the Stealth Rock it is supposed to remove, gets chipped by Hidden Power Electric and eventually faints without even doing half of what it was supposed to. Tentacruel, Empoleon and Starmie all give it insane competition for the bulky Water-type hazard remover position, which doesn't help its case either. It probably works better on stall, where it isn't as hard pressed to stop threats, but even in those type of teams there are a lot of stronger Water-type Pokemon.

Nidoqueen (from B to B-)
For reference on this one, please check the reasoning behind the change in Nidoking's ranking. My apologies to Highways for this one.

I was also planning to go through all of the suggested nominations that aren't getting implemented, but since this post is already getting long enough as is, I'll just mention that dodmen and I have gone through every single nomination that was made in the thread, so you don't need to worry about getting ignored or anything of sorts. It's just that we've probably felt that it wasn't appropriate to move the Pokemon you've nominated up/down in the current metagame, but don't let that discourage you from contributing!

With that said, here are the main discussion points until the next round of changes:

Bisharp (down to A+)

Mew (down to A)

Mega Absol (up to A-)

Bewear (up to B)

Ribombee (up to C+)

Last edited:

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Really interested in the discussion points this time around so here is my opinion on each of them.

→ Bisharp is incredibly good in the current metagame, it has gotten even better since Clefable has dropped as it one of the best ways to directly threaten it, even though coming in might be a little tricky at times. It's also one of the best ways to keep Latias in check which is key as it is extremely popular and dangerous at the moment. Dark types in general are crucial right now, there are a lot of dangerous psychic types running around and Bisharp is quite great at keeping these in check while still applying a massive amount of pressure to most teams. It is the only dark type that doesnt fear fairy types which makes it extremely hard to check. Things like Cobalion and to a lesser extent Keldeo and Hydreigon help vs Bisharp but they tend to get worn down easily which means that Bisharp can still put a lot of work even though the opponent has appropriate answers to it. It can also run different variants to threaten particular things, AV allows it to safely trap Latias and Celebi, a 4 Attacks LO variant with Low kick lures Cobalion which seems to be the most splashable answer to Bisharp in the tier. And of course the SD variant still has an incredible sweeping potential which is why it remains the most popular variant. Due to its overall ability to threaten most teams of the metagame while also keeping important threats in check I believe that Bisharp should remain S rank.

→ Clearly in favor of this change. Even though Mew is still quite unpredictable thanks to its wide movepool, it's never able to perform any of its roles perfectly. The stallbreaker variant is still decent but it cant beat Stalls on it's own mostly due to regenerator cores. Nasty Plot variants are decent but some other things like Latias and Celebi tend to get the job done better due to their secondary typing which allow them to threaten a wider range of pokemons. It's also prone to getting worn down by the things it's supposed to check, it can beat Latias but will lose if it has calm mind, spedef variants are decent at checking Scarf Keldeo but will lose if it carries Specs... Pure psychic type overall isn't that great for a pokemon that will run bulky spread a lot of the time because it's easily pressured by popular threats. Mew is still good, don't get me wrong, it's just not as good as most people make it out to be which is why I'm in favor of it going down to A.
I also agree with this one. As stated above, dark types are pretty important right now and Absols ability to outright outspeed Latias gives it a lot more opportunities to threaten the opposing teams. Its great movepool allows it run more or less whatever it wants to lure depending on the team's needs. Superpower, Iron Tail, Fire blast are all decent options with different targets. Pursuit + Knock off creates dangerous 50-50s which will a lot of the time result in the opponent's psychic type being removed from the game or highly weakened. I honestly believe that Absol has the potential to be really good if it's built around and played the right way which some players seem to struggle doing which is why it hasn't seen this much success so far. Still, I believe Absol should move up to A-.

→ I think that Amaroq's and Manipulative's post speak for themselves. Bewear's overall bulk and power are enough to justify a rise to B at the very least.

→ I've used Ribombee for this week of Research week and it has worked really well. Specs is much better than people give it credit for, I basically state my opinion regarding Ribombee on my Research of the week report. Clearly in favor of Ribombee moving up to C+.

Last edited:
Flygon C -> C+/B-

The introduction to Z Moves and Dragon Dance made Flygon become a more powerful wallbreaker and now a decently fast sweeper. It's Ground/Dragon typing is very good having STAB coverage against Steel types which completely wall Dragon types. Things like Z Outrage and Z Earthquake or if you consider Z Iron Tail or Z Fire Punch make this pokemon defeat threats that are detrimental to its success of sweeping. But aside that, with a crippling 4x weakness to Ice and weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy it can't stand a chance against a move of one of those types, it also has mediocre defenses with 80/80/80 bulk which makes it get 2hko'd by most neutral attacks like Infernape's CC and Scizor's BP. It also faces competition from other Dragon types like Haxorus, Zydog Hydreigon, and Latias as wallbreakers since Haxorus has 147 Attack + Mold Breaker, Hydreigon has more power, and Latias is faster and has access to Soul Dew and better speed (although Flygon outspeeds both Haxorus and Hydreigon). It also gets shut down by Unaware mons such as Quagsire and Clefable. But here's how Flygon can decimate things in its path.

+1 252 Atk Flygon Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bewear: 466-549 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Flygon Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 272-324 (79.3 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Flygon Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable: 390-460 (98.9 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And so on...

Flygon is that one thing most people love and it has been since Gen 3 and I'm not surprised it didn't get nominated by someone because this is one heck of a mon to use because of its versatility

Last edited:
Flygon C -> C+/B-

The introduction to Z Moves and Dragon Dance made Flygon become a more powerful wallbreaker and now a decently fast sweeper. It's Ground/Dragon typing is very good having STAB coverage against Steel types which completely wall Dragon types. Things like Z Outrage and Z Earthquake or if you consider Z Iron Tail or Z Fire Punch make this pokemon defeat threats that are detrimental to its success of sweeping. But aside that, with a crippling 4x weakness to Ice and weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy it can't stand a chance against a move of one of those types, it also has mediocre defenses with 80/80/80 bulk which makes it get 2hko'd by most neutral attacks like Infernape's CC and Scizor's BP. It also faces competition from other Dragon types like Haxorus, Zydog Hydreigon, and Latias as wallbreakers since Haxorus has 147 Attack + Mold Breaker, Hydreigon has more power, and Latias is faster and has access to Soul Dew and better speed (although Flygon outspeeds both Haxorus and Hydreigon). It also gets shut down by Unaware mons such as Quagsire and Clefable. But here's how Flygon can decimate things in its path.

+1 252 Atk Flygon Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bewear: 466-549 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Flygon Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 272-324 (79.3 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Flygon Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable: 390-460 (98.9 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And so on...

Flygon is that one thing most people love and it has been since Gen 3 and I'm not surprised it didn't get nominated by someone because this is one heck of a mon to use because of its versatility
I am rather reluctant to raise Flygon's standing. While its typing is amazing, Flygon sorely lacks in power compared to other physical attackers, for one; Krookodile's 117 Attack is already a huge step up, and while not a boosting sweeper, Krookodile can cripple things with Knock Off and runs Corkscrew Crash better. Meanwhile, Haxorus has so much power it's absolutely mad, which makes up for the lack of a secondary STAB. On top of that, Mega Sharpedo is extremely common and outpaces Flygon at +1. In fact, one could debate it's rather unimpressive how Flygon requires to be at +1 for Devastating Drake to KO, and it can't even OHKO Scizor with Fire Punch without hazards or boosting.

I just feel Flygon overall comes short, and should remain in C.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have a few different Pokemon that's current rankings I'd like to address, but we have quite the discussion-provoking set of nominations this week to get to first! Here's what I think of the current line up of noms

Mega Absol to A-: Disagree This was a really hard one to formulate a steady opinion on, but I ultimately decided that for me, Mega Absol's ability to force 50/50s against stuff like Alakazam and Clefable is a bit of a double-edged sword. It's great when Absol is winning said 50/50s against these Pokemon, but it's a similar case to Bisharp in that it has a bit of an over reliance in winning them, as its frailty often means that what it doesn't KO will KO in return. I think that the metagame has shifted in favor in a lot of ways of Absol, but the general prevalence of Pokemon that can take any of its hits and OHKO in return, like Clefable, Togekiss, Volcanion and Krookodile leads me to believe that its pros don't outweigh its cons enough to justify A- quite yet (it also has some stiff competition from things like Krookodile and Bisharp in some cases).

Bewear and Ribombee up to B/C+: Agree Not really sure why Bewear was C+ to begin with, but its immediately making an impact in the current metagame as a soft check to pretty much every physical attacker in the tier. That in itself is an extremely valuable quality, and I also think that Bewear has an extremely underrated STAB combo (only doesn't hit Ghosts for neutral damage) that in tandem with its massive attack and decent special bulk, allows it to almost always net at least one kill per game. I'm agreeing with a Ribombee rise simply due to the current strength of its Choice Specs set, which is simply just a lovely revenge killer of things like Alakazam, Mega Absol, Latias and Bisharp, though it does have a notable lack of defensively utility bar the Fighting resistance.

Bisharp down to A+: Agree There isn't a whole lot to contribute to this nomination since lots of valid contributions have been made already, but I think that this drop is more so a matter of Bisharp's lack of consistency in comparison to its fellow S-rankers in Scizor and Clef. It's an amazing offensive Pokemon that by virtue of Sucker Punch, has a really limited number of checks, but is hurt by its reliance on 50/50s against things like Gengar and Sash Alakazam and is way easier than anything else in S to pressure offensively due to the rise of Fighting-types.

Mew down to A: Agree This one's a little tricky considering the sheer amount of versatility a Pokemon like Mew can bring to the table, though it ultimately comes down to how well this thing compares to other support based Pokemon (wisp/defog support is probably its best current set) in Klefki and Starmie, and I really don't think it has anything over the former or the latter notable enough to justify a whole ranking ahead of them, since all have respectable niches that equally justify placement on teams.

Aside from these current nominations, I have some pretty strong opinions regarding other Pokemon that to me, seem a little out of place in their respective ranks. Here are some things I think should happen come the next update:

Mega Aerodactyl up to S: Mega Aerodactyl offers excellent role compression in a metagame where role compression is beyond appreciated. Thanks to its above average bulk, good offenses and amazing Speed, it can provide for multiple archetypes (mainly offensive ones) as either a revenge killer, sweeper/wallbreaker, pursuit trapper, cleaner and even defogger or offensive rocker, and often in the same set. Mega Aerodactyl is overall a Pokemon that's ability to consistently provide for its team in many important ways in just one set is enough for me to believe that it defines the metagame more than anything else in A+, this big guy's huge Speed tier can also allow it to get off a fast Roost to slightly circumvent its Stealth Rock weakness as well, which is kind of nice considering it forces out about half the tier.

Suicune up to B+: Suicune's definitely fallen from its former glory in ORAS, but that isn't at all to say that its as consistent as some of the stuff it shares a rank with, particularly Decidueye and Mandibuzz. Between Suicune's Defensive Calm Mind, Roar and Z Rain Dance sets, its able to fit onto most archetypes (most notably balance and bulky offense, which it does wonders for) and respond really well to the tier's general lack of Electric- and offensive Grass-types to just plow through opposing teams once set up. Overall, Suicune's flexibility and self sufficiency is something that shouldn't go unnoticed when teambuilding and is most certainly enough to justify placement in B+.

Amoonguss up to A-: Right now, this thing has a lot to love as a defensive Pokemon. Its typing, ability and access to Spore altogether give it this wonderful ability to blanket check really common and threatening Pokemon in Scizor, Clefable, Cobalion, Keldeo, Krookodile and so much more and overall function really well on balanced and defensive teams that are rising in popularity. The icing on the cake at this point in time is really the amazing core Amoonguss forms with Hippowdon, which is something to account for when team building and only adds to the amount of reasons that this thing is meta defining enough to justify placement in A-.

Thanks for reading anyone! Tell me what you think of my nominations and have fun in the metagame! :)

I have a few different Pokemon that's current rankings I'd like to address, but we have quite the discussion-provoking set of nominations this week to get to first! Here's what I think of the current line up of noms

Mega Absol to A-: Disagree This was a really hard one to formulate a steady opinion on, but I ultimately decided that for me, Mega Absol's ability to force 50/50s against stuff like Alakazam and Clefable is a bit of a double-edged sword. It's great when Absol is winning said 50/50s against these Pokemon, but it's a similar case to Bisharp in that it has a bit of an over reliance in winning them, as its frailty often means that what it doesn't KO will KO in return. I think that the metagame has shifted in favor in a lot of ways of Absol, but the general prevalence of Pokemon that can take any of its hits and OHKO in return, like Clefable, Togekiss, Volcanion and Krookodile leads me to believe that its pros don't outweigh its cons enough to justify A- quite yet (it also has some stiff competition from things like Krookodile and Bisharp in some cases).

Bewear and Ribombee up to B/C+: Agree Not really sure why Bewear was C+ to begin with, but its immediately making an impact in the current metagame as a soft check to pretty much every physical attacker in the tier. That in itself is an extremely valuable quality, and I also think that Bewear has an extremely underrated STAB combo (only doesn't hit Ghosts for neutral damage) that in tandem with its massive attack and decent special bulk, allows it to almost always net at least one kill per game. I'm agreeing with a Ribombee rise simply due to the current strength of its Choice Specs set, which is simply just a lovely revenge killer of things like Alakazam, Mega Absol, Latias and Bisharp, though it does have a notable lack of defensively utility bar the Fighting resistance.

Bisharp down to A+: Agree There isn't a whole lot to contribute to this nomination since lots of valid contributions have been made already, but I think that this drop is more so a matter of Bisharp's lack of consistency in comparison to its fellow S-rankers in Scizor and Clef. It's an amazing offensive Pokemon that by virtue of Sucker Punch, has a really limited number of checks, but is hurt by its reliance on 50/50s against things like Gengar and Sash Alakazam and is way easier than anything else in S to pressure offensively due to the rise of Fighting-types.

Mew down to A: Agree This one's a little tricky considering the sheer amount of versatility a Pokemon like Mew can bring to the table, though it ultimately comes down to how well this thing compares to other support based Pokemon (wisp/defog support is probably its best current set) in Klefki and Starmie, and I really don't think it has anything over the former or the latter notable enough to justify a whole ranking ahead of them, since all have respectable niches that equally justify placement on teams.

Aside from these current nominations, I have some pretty strong opinions regarding other Pokemon that to me, seem a little out of place in their respective ranks. Here are some things I think should happen come the next update:

Mega Aerodactyl up to S: Mega Aerodactyl offers excellent role compression in a metagame where role compression is beyond appreciated. Thanks to its above average bulk, good offenses and amazing Speed, it can provide for multiple archetypes (mainly offensive ones) as either a revenge killer, sweeper/wallbreaker, pursuit trapper, cleaner and even defogger or offensive rocker, and often in the same set. Mega Aerodactyl is overall a Pokemon that's ability to consistently provide for its team in many important ways in just one set is enough for me to believe that it defines the metagame more than anything else in A+, this big guy's huge Speed tier can also allow it to get off a fast Roost to slightly circumvent its Stealth Rock weakness as well, which is kind of nice considering it forces out about half the tier.

Suicune up to B+: Suicune's definitely fallen from its former glory in ORAS, but that isn't at all to say that its as consistent as some of the stuff it shares a rank with, particularly Decidueye and Mandibuzz. Between Suicune's Defensive Calm Mind, Roar and Z Rain Dance sets, its able to fit onto most archetypes (most notably balance and bulky offense, which it does wonders for) and respond really well to the tier's general lack of Electric- and offensive Grass-types to just plow through opposing teams once set up. Overall, Suicune's flexibility and self sufficiency is something that shouldn't go unnoticed when teambuilding and is most certainly enough to justify placement in B+.

Amoonguss up to A-: Right now, this thing has a lot to love as a defensive Pokemon. Its typing, ability and access to Spore altogether give it this wonderful ability to blanket check really common and threatening Pokemon in Scizor, Clefable, Cobalion, Keldeo, Krookodile and so much more and overall function really well on balanced and defensive teams that are rising in popularity. The icing on the cake at this point in time is really the amazing core Amoonguss forms with Hippowdon, which is something to account for when team building and only adds to the amount of reasons that this thing is meta defining enough to justify placement in A-.

Thanks for reading anyone! Tell me what you think of my nominations and have fun in the metagame! :)
I agree with everything stated here, bar the Bisharp drop.

I said it before I say it again: Bisharp should drop. All the fire coverage people be running for scizor are not doing any good for it, neither it's easy to fit into a team. SD sucker punch is and will ever be a 50/50. Pursuit faces competition with Krookodile, whos located at a better speed tier and so far has shown more affectiveness with z-moves making it a more surprising mon to bring in. It has few switch-ins, and so do Primarina and some other broken stuff that are still running around. Also, with the continuous procedure of re-suspecting quickbanned mons, it does NOT have the space to Shine into UU rn.

On the other hand, Mega-aero can run a huge variety of sets while being one of the faster stuff around. Access to taunt and better bulk makes it preferable over M-absol imo, while an adamant set will have a whole higher offensive presence due to capability of running more coverage and bringing immediate damage when compared to swords dance sucker from absol. Also, Iron Tail hits harder on Clefable. Besides being able to carry a 4th move in place of protect now, M-absol faces the 4th slot syndrome, not being able to run its main stabs + enough coverage to be efficient, and its really disappointing from what I've tested. Definitely not a bad mon, but aero and sharpedo are so much better mega choices when you think at role compressing/sweeper with high coverage that I don't see a reason to use absol.

Tornadus to B/B+ Rank :

Tornadus is a very versatile and powerful pokemon. With it's insane movepool and it's decent power it can hit many of the actual pokemons like Clefable (with Sludge Wave), Scizor or Swampert super effectively and act as a good physical, special or mixed wallbreaker. It can also act as a decent sweeper with a Prankster Bulk Up, act as an offensive support with a priority Tailwind,or a priority Rain Dance and annoy the opponent's team with a priority Taunt. It also has Defiant to act as Defog punisher faster than Bisharp and inflict many damages to the opponent or potentially sweep. In addition, With the new Z-Moves, Tornadus can hit with a powerful Supersonic Skystrike which can't miss and OHKOes some pokemons you wouldn't OHKO with Hurricane. That is why I think it find its place between pokemons like Azelf or Decidueye and could even be placed over them.

Calcs :

- Defensive threats :

Vs Clefable : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 239-283 (60.6 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Vs Alomomola : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola: 298-352 (61.9 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tornadus Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola: 385-454 (80 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Vs Suicune : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 244-289 (60.3 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 164-195 (40.5 - 48.2%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs Slowbro : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 265-315 (67.2 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tornadus Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 354-417 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Vs Hippowdon : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 377-445 (89.7 - 105.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Vs Mew : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 168-199 (41.5 - 49.2%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tornadus Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

- Offensive threats :

Vs Primarina : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 231-273 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Vs Raikou : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Raikou: 133-156 (41.4 - 48.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (It can't freely switch into Tornadus)
Vs Hydreigon : 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 250-294 (76.9 - 90.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Tornadus Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 319-376 (98.1 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Vs Latias : 120 Atk Life Orb Tornadus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 250-294 (83 - 97.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 181-214 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tornadus Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 234-276 (77.7 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Since I have finally had a little time to do some laddering lately, I'll post my thoughts on the discussion points brought up.

Mew: A
I love Mew. I use it on a lot of my teams, it's really versatile and can be very dangerous, but I don't think it is on the same level as the rest of A+. I think it very much fits the description of jack of all trades, master of none. Still really good in most of the things it does, Nasty Plot is pretty dangerous against fat teams, Utility is able to customize its moveset to fill in anything your team needs, and Stall Breaker is annoying for even offence since it can be such a bitch to kill, burning physical attackers and shrugging off even powerful special attacks thanks to its really good bulk. But when compared to A+, it just isn't as good as any of that rank no matter what it does, so I think A is fine for it.

Ribombee: C+
Ribombee is actually cash, and it deserves C+. Specs is probably my favourite set, I used it during Research Week, and if paired with Magneton, you will notice that most teams have not switch ins. Not being pursuit trapped by Aero really helps it, as it can keep coming back if hazards are gone, which is easy to fit with Ribombee since Starmie and Latias both pair pretty well with it, so it doesn't feel akward trying to pair it with hazard control. Its speed is really good, beating lots of fast things like Alakazam and Raikou. Resisting Sucker Punch means that it can beat Bisharp, since it already has about a 56% chance to ohko, guaranteed after the smallest amount of prior damage. This thing is definitely good enough for C+, it still has its flaws, but is easy enough to justify using for C+ imo

Bewear: B
Bewear is busted lmao. It survives every physical hit thrown at it, and hits really hard in retaliation. An extra weakness to Fire is not that bad, since most fire coverage is hp fire, considering that fire types are almost nonexistent right now. It does have issues with speed and special defense, but with the ability to 1v1 virtually any physical attacker, I think Bewear is worthy of a rise.

Absol: A-
Absol is really good. While it does rely on Sucker Punch against things like Alakazam, which can potentially pack sub and take out Absol, Dark is just a really good typing right now, and Absol has the coverage to deal with most Dark resists. Fire Blast roasts Scizor and can maim Bisharp and Bewear, Iron Tail can 2hko Clefable if you predict the switch, assuming you hit lol, and Superpower takes out Bisharp and Empoleon. Knock Off is just as spammable as ever, and Magic Bounce can be useful in some situations, even if it isn't the best ability for something as frail as Absol. A- seems good for this thing, it's a really dangerous threat, and is better than the rest of B+.

Bisharp: S
First of all, Bisharp is one of the most awesome looking Pokémon ever created, and if you disagree you are wrong. I swear I'm not suggesting it stay because it looks so badass lol.

I'm honestly still not 100% sure about Bisharp. While having to rely on Sucker Punch sucks sometimes, I don't feel comfortable suggesting this deadly of a sweeper to drop. Cobalion is a huge cockblock for it, but even then Cobalion can be worn down easily, especially if you pair Bisharp with Spikes (hell, I've won games with Bisharp singlehandedly since Bisharp is so good at deterring Defog, and most of its checks are Spikes bait, I mean Cobalion won't last long if spikes are up). While I can see why people would argue for it to drop, and those reasons are completely fair, if I had to lean one way, I'd say keep it in S. If it does drop, I won't lose sleep over it though.

k this time I'll bring replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-538588255
Aero is just too good of a mon imo. But thats not the reason i came up with this, I just wanted to show Uxie in action. (It's little but its the best i could gather because people be disconecting all around)

Nominating Uxie to become ranked at C-
- Other psychic bulky mons: It has fairly more Special defense than Necrozma, and can fulfill bulkier roles such as setting screens and trick room slightly better than mew, which has a different ability and therefore levitate might be a good niche, and Cresselia lacks rocks and U-turn. However, mew can also run recovery, giving away some utility for it. Celebi can also fulfill the niche if typing isn't an issue, but although the functions are pretty similar, Levitate is a niche regardless.
- Effectiveness & sets: From the games I played, It did not disappoint. It has a good movepool to work with, depending on what kind of support the team needs. The role it fills to me is setting rocks, absorbing one or two hits and U-turning into a set-up sweeper (situationally a cleaner). It can be both defensive with Light screen or Specially defensive with reflect, depending on the kind of support the sweepers prefer, for example. Its also able to mess things up with Trick room, allowing fat sweepers like volcanion, primarina and azu to outspeed their common answers.
- Viability: As I said, the usual role is to help a sweeper do its job. Therefore, it fits on teams that have some average sweeping potential. Other mons I named before seem much more appropriate for stall since Uxie lacks recovery. But other than that it is not strogly dependant on a specific kind of support, its a supporter, so aside from stall I don't think there might be any huge problems when teambuilding with this mon.

I won't nominate this because I haven't tested, but I would also like to see some discussion on Espeon since magic bounce is not something to be ignored.

Last but not least I'm nomming Azelf down to B-
- Other psychic nukes: Alakazam is a much better version offensively thanks to its speed tier, higher SPa, and access to Magic Guard (If you see a physical azelf running around and doing good scratch this). Currently there are a fair amount of fast rocks leads running around: Aero, Azelf, Krook and Nido's just to name some. Azelf seems to combinate typing and offensive options in a way to be arguably the best of those depending on the team needs. However, many of the highly viable threats we have on the tier do not care about having rocks up, they are still able to come in. [examples: magic guard clefable switches in and laughs at ya, scizor, zydog, azumarill and bisharp can all use priority into the pressure exerter thats supposed to come in after azelf dies, Starmie can bluff a spin to deal decent damage from its high coverage] Klefki is also present into the tier and is arguably a superior hazard setter.
- Effectiveness & sets: It's really disappointing to either get taunted by stuff like aero and tornadus or to taunt something that leaves you hanging by a sash. I'd say mixed/nasty plot attacker are its niche, mostly mixed because alakazam can run CM or the yet-to-be-seen Z-miracle eye.
- Viability: I don't feel like its easy to build for this aswell, because you need supporters that both can check loads of threats the meta currently has AND exert offensive presence.

thats all for the Psychos

- Other psychic bulky mons: It has fairly more Special defense than Necrozma, and can fulfill bulkier roles such as setting screens and trick room slightly better than mew, which has a different ability and therefore levitate might be a good niche, and Cresselia lacks rocks and U-turn. However, mew can also run recovery, giving away some utility for it. Celebi can also fulfill the niche if typing isn't an issue, but although the functions are pretty similar, Levitate is a niche regardless.
- Effectiveness & sets: From the games I played, It did not disappoint. It has a good movepool to work with, depending on what kind of support the team needs. The role it fills to me is setting rocks, absorbing one or two hits and U-turning into a set-up sweeper (situationally a cleaner). It can be both defensive with Light screen or Specially defensive with reflect, depending on the kind of support the sweepers prefer, for example. Its also able to mess things up with Trick room, allowing fat sweepers like volcanion, primarina and azu to outspeed their common answers.
- Viability: As I said, the usual role is to help a sweeper do its job. Therefore, it fits on teams that have some average sweeping potential. Other mons I named before seem much more appropriate for stall since Uxie lacks recovery. But other than that it is not strogly dependant on a specific kind of support, its a supporter, so aside from stall I don't think there might be any huge problems when teambuilding with this mon.
I strongly disagree with this nomination. First of all, you mentioned Cresselia, but it's not shining in SM UU, in the other hand, another pink Pokémon is shining. Uxie was OK during ORAS because of its role compression, but it's completely unviable in SM UU, and I'd say its unique niche is as a Memento user, because Mew does everything it does, but better; it has access to Will-o-Wisp, so it cripples physical attackers without having to invest EVs on its Defense stat, it has a solid Speed tier, it learns Taunt, and finally Roost/Soft-Boiled, what means it has a solid support movepool and reliable recovery. Uxie struggles a lot against Dark-types such as Bisharp and Mega Absol even if it carries U-turn and on top of that it's too passive and loses 1v1 against Togekiss. Mew does what Uxie does, but better, what means Uxie should remain unranked.

I'm talking about discussion points later tho, just wanted to express my opinion about this nomination.

k this time I'll bring replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-538588255
Aero is just too good of a mon imo. But thats not the reason i came up with this, I just wanted to show Uxie in action. (It's little but its the best i could gather because people be disconecting all around)

I won't nominate this because I haven't tested, but I would also like to see some discussion on Espeon since magic bounce is not something to be ignored.

Last but not least I'm nomming Azelf down to B-
- Other psychic nukes: Alakazam is a much better version offensively thanks to its speed tier, higher SPa, and access to Magic Guard (If you see a physical azelf running around and doing good scratch this). Currently there are a fair amount of fast rocks leads running around: Aero, Azelf, Krook and Nido's just to name some. Azelf seems to combinate typing and offensive options in a way to be arguably the best of those depending on the team needs. However, many of the highly viable threats we have on the tier do not care about having rocks up, they are still able to come in. [examples: magic guard clefable switches in and laughs at ya, scizor, zydog, azumarill and bisharp can all use priority into the pressure exerter thats supposed to come in after azelf dies, Starmie can bluff a spin to deal decent damage from its high coverage] Klefki is also present into the tier and is arguably a superior hazard setter.
- Effectiveness & sets: It's really disappointing to either get taunted by stuff like aero and tornadus or to taunt something that leaves you hanging by a sash. I'd say mixed/nasty plot attacker are its niche, mostly mixed because alakazam can run CM or the yet-to-be-seen Z-miracle eye.
- Viability: I don't feel like its easy to build for this aswell, because you need supporters that both can check loads of threats the meta currently has AND exert offensive presence.

thats all for the Psychos
TLDR:
Azelf has Explosion, the best way for HO to get momentum. That alone gives it something no other suicide lead has. It also has good offensive presence, allowing to either use something like Flamethrower or Knock Off to eliminate or cripple something before Exploding. It's the best suicide lead overall for HO and it should stay in B.

I haven't used Uxie and Espeon at all, but I'll talk about why I think Azelf is fine in B. As a suicide lead, Azelf not only outspeeds almost anything that commonly carries taunt except for Aero (tornadus does have prankster, but it usually uses a coverage move instead in my experience). Now, Azelf does get beaten by Aero for fastest suicide lead, but its biggest asset over Aero is Explosion. Not only can it heavily dent anything not resistant, it allows HO teams to get momentum right off the bat. This is so important because HO can't afford to even have a single turn of lost momentum at times. It also generates momentum even against immunities, unlike Double Edge with Aero, and it can still kill itself even when it has all of its hp left. Being able to generate that momentum even with sash intact and cripple something is incredibly valuable. Azelf also needs no investment to ohko all but the most specially bulky Scizor sets with Flamethrower, meaning it doesn't need to rely on Fire Blast. You mention Azumarill, but it's banned atm. Klefki sets spikes, stealth rock is much better because it affects everything and only needs to be set up once. Magic Guard Clefable doesn't care about rocks, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't all of a sudden use a suicide lead on ho. Even when you taunt something that brings you to sash, getting up rocks and just dying still gives you a free switch in. It seems like you don't really have much experience using lead Azelf on HO, it's easily the best suicide lead, Explosion is just so damn useful for momentum, that alone makes it the best lead imo. Also, if your opponent has Aero, you don't lead Azelf. You lead with something that beats Aero, and have Azelf do its thing when your opponent has something out that can't stop Azelf.

Last edited:

Credits for this amazing banner go to user: monomite! Make sure to check his stuff out :)

Welcome to the SM UU Viability Ranking Thread, brought to you once again by yours truly! In a similar fashion to how things were done throughout the course of the last generation, I've assembled a group of knowledgeable UU players to help me sort out the preliminary rankings. This group will also help me going through nominations made in this thread, as well as metagame shifts caused by drops and successful retests. The group in question is subject to change though, and they're not the only people whose opinion I'll be consulting frequently.

So where do you come in? After the preliminary rankings have been worked out by our team, it's the community's duty to refine them in order to more accurately reflect the true viability of all relevant Pokemon in the UU metagame. Because our guesses will come before much meaningful experience using Pokemon will have occurred, we can't be accurate enough without your help. Post about the Pokemon that you have experience with, but try not to let your personal bias oversell any Pokemon.

The S tier contains a select few metagame-defining Pokemon, the best of the best, and the A tiers reflect on the Pokemon which are extremely effective but flawed in some aspects. The B tier is slightly more expansive, with the B+ tier representing Pokemon that are fairly common and threatening but don't quite make the cut for A-, while the B- tier represents Pokemon who fill minor, but relevant, niches. Below the B tier, the generic C tier displays the rest of the Pokemon that are usable in UU, but don't have a niche that is appreciated by most UU teams. Finally, the D rank will only include Pokemon that are tiered in UU by usage, but have no usability in the metagame. Furthermore, discussion on D-ranked Pokemon is NOT ALLOWED in this thread.

The UU Viability Ranking Council will be the same as the UU tiering council for now, but as I've mentioned before, this is prone to being changed in the future.

S Rank

Bisharp
Clefable
Scizor

A Rank

A+ Rank

Aerodactyl (Mega)
Alakazam
Cobalion
Keldeo
Latias
Mew
Sharpedo (Mega)

A Rank

Hippowdon
Klefki
Krookodile
Primarina
Starmie

A- Rank

Celebi
Gengar
Gliscor
Hydreigon
Raikou
Swampert
Togekiss
Volcanion

B Rank

B+ Rank

Absol (Mega)
Amoonguss
Blastoise (Mega)
Forretress
Magneton
Slowbro
Tentacruel
Zygarde (10%)

B Rank

Azelf
Blissey
Decidueye
Empoleon
Froslass
Gastrodon
Infernape
Mandibuzz
Mienshao
Nidoking
Reuniclus
Suicune
Tsareena

B- Rank

Alomomola
Bewear
Chandelure
Conkeldurr
Doublade
Entei
Kyurem
Mantine
Nidoqueen
Alolan Ninetales
Stoutland
Swellow
Talonflame
Toxicroak

C Rank

C+ Rank

Arcanine
Chesnaught
Cresselia
Crobat
Feraligatr
Haxorus
Hawlucha
Jellicent
Lucario
Metagross
Necrozma
Roserade
Shuckle
Snorlax

C Rank

Aerodactyl
Bronzong
Crawdaunt
Flygon
Gigalith
Heracross
Kommo-o
Milotic
Ninetales
Porygon2
Quagsire
Ribombee
Salazzle
Tornadus
Venusaur
Whimsicott

C- Rank

Araquanid
Cloyster
Comfey
Galvantula
Gardevoir
Honchkrow
Kingdra
Minior
Alolan Persian
Pyukumuku
Rotom (Cut)
Rotom (Heat)
Shiftry
Silvally
Sylveon
Torkoal
Umbreon
Venomoth

DHELMISE RANK

Dhelmise
Why does dhelmise gets its own rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)