1v1 - The Old Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Greninja A to A-: Yes, the meta hasn't been kind to it.
Crustle A+ to A: Yes, it's always been too high imo.
Tapu Bulu B- to C-: Yes, Bulu is just bad.
Snorlax Unranked to B-: I bloody hate this thing. It's just so fat...
Landorus-T Unranked to C: A niche pick. Loses to a lot of meta mons, but usable nonetheless.
Latios Unranked to C: It seems okay.
Mew Unranked to Unranked: Imo it doesn't deserve a rank.
Hitmonlee Unranked to C+/B-: Each individual set isn't all that great but it's quite versatile and unpredictable.

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
Greninja A -> A-
Agree
This one should be more than obvious. It's unable to take on Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, KyuB, Tapu Koko, and any sturdy user. If the meta ever shifts towards faster and offensive pokemon, Greninja will be great, but as for now it should be put on the back burner.

Crustle A+ -> A
Agree
Crustle is a very strong Pokémon that benefits from Sturdy + Shell Smash + Z move in an effective way. However, it's easily replaceable with Donphan, who gets priority but loses Rock STAB and Shell Smash, Golem, who gets priority but loses Shell Smash, and even Carracosta, who loses Z-Rock Wrecker but gets priority. Don't get me wrong, it's a strong Pokémon, but it's a one hit wonder.

Tapu Bulu B- -> C-
Agree
Honestly you might as well unrank this thing until someone figures out what to do with it. Best we got is a CB wood hammer to beat gyarados?

Snorlax
Unranked -> B-/C+
Originially I assumed most would go for Pulverizing Pancake which is not worth it, but I think the best set is the normalium Z all normal moveset running Z-Double Edge (for damage), Z-yawn (for speed), Z-belly drum (for a guaranteed belly drum), and Z-protect (to increase lowered defenses). And it gets Immunity if it wants to be immune to toxic or Thick Fat to have Charizard's fire attacks and KyuB's subzero slammer.

Quagsire
Unranked -> C-
Look, I understand what it's supposed to do. It starts off with a Pseuedo-Eviolite with Z-Stockpile and uses Unaware to avoid set-up pokemon. But the problem is that toxic stalling is not very effective especially because of poisons and steel types and it has poor natural bulk, stockpile only goes to 2.5 in each, and it has a 4x weaknesses to grass.

Lando-t
Unranked -> ???
It probably deserves ranking. I haven't had much experience as to where though

Latios
Unranked -> ??? DISAGREE
Latios and Latias really don't deserve a ranking. They're largely outclassed by the vast majority of dragon types there are. Even the Psychium Z sets I helped UC with aren't that good. Using a Z-move for essentially, a Nasty Plot isn't that good. I understand it has versatility by they lack power to really be worth ranking. Especially with the other dragon types.

Mew
Unranked -> ??? DISAGREE
For a pokemon with such an expansive movepool, a specific z-move, and 600 BST, Mew sucks. It can't seem to settle on what to do and just isn't good enough at anything. Now worth ranking imo.

Hitmonlee
Unranked -> C+
Hitmonlee is an unsung hero of 1v1. His normal gem fake out + SubReversal combo is predictable and powerful, but it's held back by the fact that the opponent has to break your substitute meaning it performs the best against Choice users, which are noticeably less apparent. Endure + liechi berry shenanigans is similar, but less consistent and introduces some appreciated mind games. Nonetheless it deserves C+.

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Substitute

This set in my opinion makes Landorus-T at least B-, if not B. It beats the Zards, unless Zard-Y outspeeds, it can beat Gyarados, it beats Crustle, Aegislash, Magearna, can beat the Charm pokemon with Sub, beats non-Hyper Cutter Pinsir, beats Mimikyu, and beats Z-Ice Kyurem-Black that it outspeeds, most of the time. You beat Z-Ice Kyurem-Black more often with Adamant, but you're slower.

I agree with MaceMaster's opinions, otherwise, except for Mew. I think between an attacking set and the defensive Taunt Will-o-Wisp set, it's at least C- if not C. I would be fine with unranking Tapu Bulu. It sucks.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to start off by saying that it's great this thread is seeing some activity. I'll try to keep my posts on each mon short, and to the point - but no promises.

Greninja: It's been chilling in the A rank for a while, but it has been pretty lackluster. It's speed of 377 has started to fall behind with the release of new fast threats like Tapu koko and pheromosa, and it's unable to fight this wave of speed with a scarf. If you went scarf it would be unable to fight off some of the bulkier mons that are often found in the meta like Zard-X.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 357-420 (120.2 - 141.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 237-280 (79.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gren goes from ohkoing a common threat to not putting up a fight. With this in mind along with just a general eye test of the A- rank, which has mons like Donphan, Meloetta, and mimikyu, I propose it drop to B+. It may seem a tad harsh, but I just truly believe it doesn't deserve to be any sort of A rank in the current Meta.

Crustle: Crustle came out of the gate guns blazing in gen 7, but it's definitely cooling off. The rise of Donphan, other sturdy users, and just a general need to prep for it now has definitely lowered its viability. It's still a great mon, but I'd definitely agree with a change to A. It's still solid, but as the meta has evolved and breaking sturdy users has become more and more important it has definitely started to slide a bit.

Tapu Bulu: This mon has found itself in the viability rankings due to a new toy syndrome. If bulu had been released last gen it wouldn't have ever made the list. The only thing this mon has going for it is an ability to beat Gyara.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados in Grassy Terrain: 390-460 (117.8 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While I agree beating Gyara is very important this gen I wouldn't give up a team slot for this mon to do it. With that in mind I have to suggest it be moved to Unranked, but if you have to keep it on the list I suppose C- will suffice. (Just never think to myself wow, Bulu would be a great mon to add to this team, ever)

Snorlax: This is a mon I had high hopes for, and have tested a fair amount. Let's just say it hasn't lived up to expectations.

Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Belly Drum
It's not a bad set, just hasn't been able to ever take over and dominate. The fact its best set "IMO" can't touch ghosts like Aegi and Mimikyu also hurt it at team preview, since bringing it is an auto loss 1/3 of the time. Don't get me wrong it's still a lot of fun to use I just had hopes of B+ or A- for this mon, visions of grandeur if you will. I'd say it deserves B- at this point as it still hits incredibly hard, yawn strats can be annoying to face, and it has a lot of ways to get a BD off which can make it very menacing. (Also my Ev's I'm sure could be optimized better, if you see me on the discord or PS! hit me up with a better spread - I'd appreciate it).

Quagsire: I love defensive Z-support sets a lot right now, and quag has a pretty solid one with Z-stockpile. Earlier in the thread I noticed lost heros gave it C-, and I think that's a solid position for it. However, I'm going to suggest C since I love the bulk, and it's a solid set for easing through the low ladder since not many prep for it. I realize that may not be the best reason, but in a tier where ladder play is a big deal I think it's good enough.

Landorus-T: I play a lot of 1v1, but I play even more OU - so I'm sick of lando-t. With that in mind I had no interest in testing this mon for myself. However, Kentari has had a good amount of experience with it. I trust his judgement when it comes to Lando's spot in the Ranks, so B- is where I say it should land. The only reason I say B- over B is because I've faced and beaten it twice, so it hasn't hindered me personally that much.

Latios: This is an interesting mon. Latios often runs into the same problems as Greninja. It's fairly fast, but it needs scarf to reach elite speed - while also needing specs/z item to secure 1hkos. This means Lati has to make decisions on what it wants to beat, causing the user to constantly make adjustments and risk hitting the wrong match up far to often. However, Lati is still a very strong mon, and if you stay on top of constantly adjusting to ladder match ups it can easily rise to the C+ rank, but due to the difficulties of this I'm suggesting C.

Mew:
I actually really like mew for the reason it's inconsistent in its set. This makes some players not really enjoy it since there isn't really a "best set" for it, but it can be manipulated to beat a lot. With Z stones and Mew's massive move pool it can be used to Cteam, the only problem is it's sorta a one time thing. The next day you play the set will have to be remade. This also doesn't include the likes of roost will-o defensive mew who has a niche as well. With all of this in mind I'm leaning towards C+, although if played right can perform as well as a B ranked mon.

Hitmonlee: This is a mon that performs 1 job well. However, on a small ladder like 1v1 it rarely gets to shine. It is continuously Cteamed, no one is ever going to use hitmonlee to win over a period of 10+ games. Also I love sawk, so hitmonlee is just ehh to me. With that in mind I'm suggesting C, if the ladder was the size of OU's it would be C+ or B-, but alas that just isn't the case.

Deoxys-s: MaceMaster suggested this thing be moved to C+ recently, and although it wasn't mentioned by Dream Eater Gengar as a discussion topic I'd like to discuss it. I recently played Mace with it a few times in a tour and it performed very well. Upon personal testing it still performed well and I think C+ is very appropriate. If you want more info on this mon go look at his post earlier in the thread - has a solid set and description, and I'm bad at quoting so you'll have to find it yourself...

Anyway thanks for taking the time to look at my suggestions.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Greninja: A to A- Crustle: A+ to A Tapu Bulu: B- to C- Snorlax: Uranked to ?? Quagsire: Unranked to ?? Landorus-T: Unranked to ?? Latios: Unranked to ?? Mew: Unranked to ?? Hitmonlee: Uranked to ??

thoughts:

Greninja to A-: while i do love greninja, i do think it should be moved down considering how new threats like tapu koko and old threats like kyu-b still beat it. a lot of common mons beat it and it just sometimes lacks the power to OHKO things like mega gyarados.

Crustle to A: agree. it loses to really common pokemon like icium z kyu-b and mega gyarados, and sturdy isn't as good as it was earlier in the gen. crustle has always been good and still is, but it's not enough to warrant A+

Tapu Bulu to C-: i've literally never seen this thing. ever. i think the only thing tapu bulu can beat is gyara and ground/rock types (e.g donphan), but it loses to basically everything else (e.g both charizards unless scarf edge). it has a niche i suppose, and can hit pretty hard with CB + grassy terrain boosted wood hammer, but it's also pretty slow and loses to a bunch of common threats, while other pokemon can do its job better.

Snorlax to ??: i've never really seen this thing either, so gonna abstain here, but i wouldnt oppose a rise

Quagsire to ??: This thing is a pretty cool wall and has the ability to beat common mons like crustle and megagross. personally ive never used it for myself, but i figure it works similarly to how it works in other tiers

Landorus-T to ??: never seen this thing. i guess intimidate is a good ability and 145 attack is pretty solid, especially if you use z moves. maybe somewhere in C+.

Latios to ??: i don't think latios is very good in 1v1, but i suppose it has the capability to hit pretty hard with devestating drake / specs draco. however, its an all out attacker and loses to things like crustle. i suppose it can beat common mons like char and kyu-b, but also loses to gyara which is pretty important, but has a niche and can hit pretty hard. i wouldnt mind C

Mew to ??: not so sure about this one. i suppose mew's unpredictability and versatility make it usable as a lure/cteam kinda pokemon, but 100/100 stats aren't great in this meta where bulk and high attack like mgyara's exist. however, it's multitude of sets including mewnium z (blocks priority which is cool, beats donphan, among other things) and defensive (will-o + roost) make it a niche option that can fit on some teams. it seems fine as C - C+

Hitmonlee to ??: Hitmonlee is pretty cool, honestly. fake out is a great move and (not sure if normal gem is released?) i think all-out pummeling could work if not for hitmonlee's middling speed that's fixed by unburden ; i think C- or C are good for it

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
This is not on the list for discussion but it is highly underrated and i would like to nominate Stunfisk for the B rank.

Funfisk (Stunfisk) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Endure
- Yawn
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

This pokemon is a great tank and can live almost any attack press yawn and click endure on its set to 100% of the time get the opponent asleep unless it has insomnia or the rare ohko. Then after 2 attacks it usually popped its petaya berry by being below 25% health raising its special attack by one stage. Then Earth Power and Thunderbolt can cover many prominent threats in the metagame such as Mega Gyarados, Charizard Y, Charizard X and Mega Mawile. Here are some cool calcs.

Blue= Stunfisk Attacking, Red= Stunfisk being attacked

+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados-Mega: 282-332 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 378-446 (89.5 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile-Mega: 368-434 (121 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 322-379 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 312-368 (86.6 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 336-396 (79.6 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 404-476 (136 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 324-382 (76.7 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Obviously it cant naturally take two attacks from these monsters naturally however the set of Yawn+Endure is very nice in 1v1 allowing Stunfisk to most of the time pop its petaya berry and live the second attack with endure. Then stunfisk can proceed to take out those threats. Special thanks to UnleashOurPassion for the dank set and inspiring me to post this. :)

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
This is not on the list for discussion but it is highly underrated and i would like to nominate Stunfisk for the B rank.

Funfisk (Stunfisk) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Endure
- Yawn
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

This pokemon is a great tank and can live almost any attack press yawn and click endure on its set to 100% of the time get the opponent asleep unless it has insomnia or the rare ohko. Then after 2 attacks it usually popped its petaya berry by being below 25% health raising its special attack by one stage. Then Earth Power and Thunderbolt can cover many prominent threats in the metagame such as Mega Gyarados, Charizard Y, Charizard X and Mega Mawile. Here are some cool calcs.

Blue= Stunfisk Attacking, Red= Stunfisk being attacked

+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados-Mega: 282-332 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 378-446 (89.5 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile-Mega: 368-434 (121 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 322-379 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 312-368 (86.6 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 336-396 (79.6 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 404-476 (136 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 324-382 (76.7 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Obviously it cant naturally take two attacks from these monsters naturally however the set of Yawn+Endure is very nice in 1v1 allowing Stunfisk to most of the time pop its petaya berry and live the second attack with endure. Then stunfisk can proceed to take out those threats. Special thanks to UnleashOurPassion for the dank set and inspiring me to post this. :)
I definitely do think that Stunfisk deserves to be ranked, but not nearly that high. Do you mean to tell me that Stunfisk is as viable as Jumpluff or Primarina? It seems much more at home in the C rank imo.

Another nomination I have is Durant (why hasn't UnleashOurPassion nominated this yet???). If you're yet to see it, here's UnleashOurPassion's standard set:
Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor/Thunder Fang
- Superpower/Thunder Fang

Durant beats both Zards, Gyarados, Kyurem, Specs P-Z, Pinsir, Slowbro, Lele and Meloetta. The amount of things it kills is simply ridiculous. However, it loses 20-36% of the time because of Hustle. I think it deserves C+ or B-.

Finally, Mawile... This thing was initially super hyped up because of how good it was last gen, but it's fallen a little short of S this gen. I'm going to tentatively say A rank. Don't feel to strongly about where this one ends up as long as it's in the A+ to A- range.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Another nomination I have is Durant (why hasn't UnleashOurPassion nominated this yet???). If you're yet to see it, here's UnleashOurPassion's standard set:
Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor/Thunder Fang
- Superpower/Thunder Fang

Durant beats both Zards, Gyarados, Kyurem, Specs P-Z, Pinsir, Slowbro, Lele and Meloetta. The amount of things it kills is simply ridiculous. However, it loses 20-36% of the time because of Hustle. I think it deserves C+ or B-.
You dared stealing my post... I was gonna make it after this homework assignment

Oh well I guess people are nominating my sets for me which is amazing it means I can be lazy and stuff..

I'm going to elaborate a little more on Durant and make a different proposal on it.

Durant with the given moveset can beat the entirety of S rank
Durant with the given moveset beats half of A+ guaranteed, P-Z if it's not scarfed and it needs a single flinch for magearna
in A rank it only guaranteed loses to tapu koko and scarf HP fire tapu lele, the rest it beats with the exception of crustle, for which it needs a single flinch

Down in A- things become more worrysome but it still beats part of it, namely Deoxys-Defense, Meloetta and Mimikyu. For Venusaur, Donphan and Dragonite it needs 1 flinch to win, and you really shouldn't try letting it face Magnezone or Greninja (it's killed slow greninja before but who runs that)

It all goes downhill from there for Durant, it beats almost nothing until you're all the way down in C, from where Durant starts beating the majority of the pokémon again

Durant is a very strong anti-meta pokémon that can single-handedly carry a team if ladder doesn't stray too far from the meta, therefore I propose Durant be ranked B (I did say B+ at first but didn't realize aegislash is in there too, can I take a second to say Durant is better than Kartana because it gets rock moves?)

I definitely do think that Stunfisk deserves to be ranked, but not nearly that high. Do you mean to tell me that Stunfisk is as viable as Jumpluff or Primarina? It seems much more at home in the C rank imo.
Although I have a tendency to overrate my own sets, I'm going to agree with you on this one saying between C+ and C- Stunfisk is good and it beats a lot of things, but in the end it's not much more than a meme gone out of hand

~Mez

Last edited:

dom

Banned deucer.
not impressed with stunfisk. i think i've lost to it like, once? i'm thinking c, because c- are a bit too memeish of mons. i do see its niche and i've seen plenty of people lose to it (somehow) repeatedly. it can just straight up beat teams on it's own, but it's also a bit reliant on first turn wakes not happening, and unlike actually viable sleep users it can't just put you back to sleep. c seems fine. on durant, hustle makes this thing really inconsistent on moves like stone edge. because of how innacurate it is, i honestly don't see a use for stone edge, because you'll miss so often (if you're not an extremely lucky player like some durant users). it is strong, though, so i'd leave it at probably b- or c+.

edit: what is magearna doing in a+??????? sure it's anti meta, but like ??????????????? it's not on kyub level. also, move fini down and blastoise up

Last edited:
These have very little to do with the current discussion topics, but I have some things to point out. I invite anyone and everyone to respond to these.

Magearna. As partys just edited into his previous post, there is no reason for this to be A+. Not only is a lot of its niche being taken over by Mawile (outside of its Air Balloon sets), it wasn't even on the same level as Kyurem-B, Charizard Y, or Porygon-Z on its own merits. I suspect that it only got this high up due to new-toy syndrome. Send it down to A- or some such thing, imo.

Whimsicott. Might need to move down even more. Having Mega Gyarados on seemingly every team requires it to use Moonblast, which in turns means it loses the ability to beat things with recovery or their own Taunt. Also loses to Tapu Lele and other random Dark-types.

Golem. I do not know why is this a full rank below Donphan, but it hits harder with both its Z-moves and its priority, so it certainly deserves to move up from B-.

I see some more flaws in the lower ranks. Quagsire is languishing in C in spite of the fact that it is far superior to the gimmicky Smeargle and unworthy-of-serious-use Slaking. I also think Bewear and Buzzwole are being underrated, as they are excellent answers to a huge variety of physical attackers while packing a fair bit of punch themselves.

Honestly, the central problem here is Aron's placement in C-. By putting it there, you're effectively implying that any unranked Pokemon is worse than a horrendous FEAR strategy that I would never consider for use on a serious high-ladder team. If we don't want to have a D Rank, then we should unrank Aron entirely, because to say it's better than Latios, Latias, Toxapex, Pyukumuku, Porygon-2, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Haxorus, and pretty much everything MaceMaster has ever used (Infernape, Araquanid, Barbaracle, Togedemaru) when it loses to Kyurem-B, Mega Gyarados, reasonably common variations of both Charizards, and basically anything with Substitute or Will-o-Wisp is pretty ridiculous. (If it wasn't clear, I think all of those Pokemon are worthy of some sort of ranking, either through being incorporated into the current system or through the creation of a D Rank.)

lost heros

Meme Master

Unranked -> S
No one should be surprised where I am nominating this pokemon to go. Between it's strong dual ability (intimidate + huge power) and a relevant niche dual ability (hyper cutter + huge power). It has the highest attack stat in the game and the best defensive typing in the game. This gives very few options for beating Mega Mawile: those being Fire-type, Ground-type, and very powerful specially offensive pokemon. Not carrying one of those pokemon is a bad idea.'

A+ -> A
Magearna has always been a good pokemon in Gen 7 and definitely is more than new toy syndrome. While it is mostly outclassed by Mega Mawile, it is still very powerful with a Choice Specs or Fairium Z set or can utilize Air Balloon to avoid Ground Types. It can hit defensive Water-types better like Mega Slowbro better than Mega Mawile and has much better Special Defense. It's very good, but otherwise is outclassed

C -> C-
Smeargle, really has such an obscure niche and only deserves relevance on the VR due to it's undeserved usage in low ladder. It's a poor bastardization of Whimsicott and Jumpluff, where it either tries to bulk itself out to live or win by outspeeding, but it doesn't have good bulk or speed. However, even after that it still relies on random sleep chances to win.

(aron btw)

C- -> D/Unranked
Either reintroduce D rank or unrank FEAR. IT IS NOT GOOD. I've never seen good FEAR. It's easy to predict. It's easy to beat. And we wouldn't even mention it if it weren't for dumb youtube channels. No serious 1v1 player would ever use FEAR. Whereas good 1v1 players will legitimately use Buzzwole and Nihilego, who probably deserve that rank.

Unranked -> C+/B-
Durant has clearly proven it's use. It has Genesect's good defensive typing alongside solid speed tier. However, while Hustle gives a good power buff it still relies on Choice Band for reliability in coverage moves and it has a max 80% win rate. Always.

Unranked -> C
Both of these pokemon are very similar. With Yawn + protect/endure + strong attack. Both have good offensive typings and alright defensive. However, my first instinct on a yawn user is Snorlax so we shouldn't go to crazy ranking these.

Last edited:
Nominations to D-Rank
  • Mega-Alakazam - The terrible Protect Disable set only works against noobs. It's too frail and not strong enough to run an attacking set, which would only work because people expect the Protect Disable set.
  • Smeargle - It's a way worse version of Jumpluff. It only wins 66% of the time and you can't Imprison Z-moves.
  • Haxorus - If Kyurem-B didn't exist, this pokemon might be worth using.
  • Rampardos - This can't even OHKO a 0 HP Golem with EQ. It's incredibly frail and has to run a Choice Scarf to outspeed anything at all.
  • Araquanid - It's super slow and doesn't hit hard enough, even with Water Bubble.
  • Aggron - It's outclassed by the other Sturdy Rock/Ground types. Wait 'till it gets its Mega back.
  • Cinccino - It's fast and has Skill Link, that's about it.
  • Tapu Bulu - Beats Gyarados and just about nothing else. Its ability is a detriment more often than not.
  • Necrozma - Outclassed by Tapu Lele in terms of attacking, and it can't stall as well as the good stall pokemon. Its ability doesn't help it as much as you would think.
  • Mudsdale - There just doesn't seem to be a good set for this.
  • Pyukumuku - It's not as good at being Unaware as Quagsire, but it can beat physical pokemon pretty well, usually.
  • Salazzle - This has 3 usable sets in Z-Poison, Sub Disable, and Z-Fire. It's incredibly frail, though. It's also slower than Tapu Koko, which it would be nice to outspeed.
  • Vivillon - A slightly slower, slightly more accurate version of Jumpluff that uses Quiver Dance and Hurricane instead of Leech Seed and Protect.
  • Carracosta - It learns Shell Smash and a Priority move and gets Sturdy.
  • Wishiwashi - This thing is super bulky and hits super hard. It has got an abyssmal movepool, though. It basically learns Water moves and Ice Beam.
  • Shuckle - Boost your defenses and Toxic stall. The other Stall pokemon do this better, for the most part.
  • Toxapex - Just kind of outclassed by the other stall pokemon. Water/Poison is not a great defensive typing in 1v1.
  • Darmanitan - A bad version of Choice Scarf Victini.
  • Chandelure - This can run Choice Scarf and Specs. Its frail, but it has high Special Attack. Ghost/Fire is a good offensive typing
  • Relicanth - Yawn/Protect and Sturdy sounds really good, but it just doesn't hit hard enough. You don't get coverage moves either because you have to use 2 move slots for Yawn and Protect.
  • Azumarill - This was better last gen. It's outclassed by Primarina and Tapu Fini.
I don't think all of these pokemon should be ranked, but I think this is a good starting point for the pokemon that could populate D rank.

Infernape, Breloom, Volcarona, the Lati twins, Conkeldurr, Manaphy, and Mew should all get ranked somewhere above D, in my opinion. They're probably in the C to C- range. A couple might D pokemon, depending on where we end up drawing the line.

I still think Mega-Gengar, Rhyperior, and Landorus-I are ranked above where they belong. The points I made 2 months ago are the same reasons I want them moved down now, only more so because it's been 2 months. They're just not good pokemon in gen 7 1v1. All 3 belong somewhere in the C ranks.

Mega-Gengar is a gimmick that only works ~40% of the time. It is essentially an entire pokemon slot devoted to a OHKO move. Landorus and Rhyperior were left behind by this gen. I have not seen one person succeeding with these pokemon. Landorus is too slow and too frail to do well. It's niche last gen was beating Charizard 100%, which it will do less and less as more people run Substitute. Additionally a lot of new pokemon beat it, like Tapu Lele, Celesteela, and Mimikyu. Rhyperior is just outclassed by Donphan, Golem, and Crustle.

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
  • Mega-Alakazam - Agree
  • Smeargle - Disagree, it may not be that great, but it still has a decently wide range of potential threats that it handles because it outspeeds them, unlike most things that DO belong in D rank that lack this general viability and can only handle a niche variety of mons.
  • Haxorus - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Rampardos - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Araquanid - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Aggron - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Cinccino - Don't rank it at all
  • Tapu Bulu - Agree
  • Necrozma - Don't rank it yet- I wanna say this thing has potential, I'm just not sure how-
  • Mudsdale - Don't rank it at all?
  • Pyukumuku - Agree
  • Salazzle - Don't rank it at all
  • Vivillon - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Carracosta - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Wishiwashi - Don't rank it at all
  • Shuckle - Agree
  • Toxapex - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Darmanitan - Agree/Don't rank it at all
  • Chandelure - Don't rank it at all
  • Relicanth - Don't rank it at all
  • Azumarill - Disagree, it has a pretty sizable niche in being able to take out both zards with Z-rollout(100bp), kyub, Porygon-Z, and Gyarados, though it needs a pretty particular set to do so, so I'd put it at the same tier where most one-set mons go, C/-/+ range
just covering Kentari 's suggestions here with my own thoughts since it always helps to make these vr's as concrete as we can :>

lost heros

Meme Master

Unranked -> D
Bad pokemon with a poor niche. Uses high speed and protect/disable to beat Choice Band/Choice Specs Users. That's pretty much it. And considering there's not that many Choice Band/Choice Specs anymore thanks to Z moves, there's very few reasons to use it.

Unranked -> D
Contrary Shell Smash is cool and it's not completely taunt-bait thanks to infestation. It's also got Power Split, which is cool.

Unranked -> D
Yawn is very powerful as well as Head Smash + Sturdy. It definitely deserved to be ranked.

Unranked -> C-
This thing got Shell Smash and Sturdy. It's a great Rockium Z or Waterium Z user AND has access to priority. It deserves to be ranked.

C -> D
It's got a unique Truant Stall or (relatively bad) Choice Band Giga Impact. But otherwise it's not too good.

Felucia

Robot Empress
I'm way too tired to do formatting today I'm sorry, I'll do my best to at least use bold....

Kyurem Black
I can't stop talking about this thing lately.

It has great base stats that allow it to do anything.
Icium-Z has increased its power and viability by a lot, Kyurem can run a good scarf set as it always has, people are starting to run surprise specs and choice band as well. All these sets are viable and you never know what you're facing.

I think that next to everything that makes this pokémon A+ rank: Its great stats and fantastic scarf set, it now has the most versatility among the top-ranked pokémon. It also can beat a vast majority of the metagame with just Choice Specs, Icium-Z and Choice Scarf sets. It can easily compete with Charizard-mega-X and Gyarados-mega and that's why I think Kyurem-Black should move from A+ to S-Rank

I wish I was awake enough to write something good
~Mez

Kentari: post it
UnleashOurPassion: If you say so...

I might edit this to be more extensive later ;-;

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
It also can beat a vast majority of the metagame with just Choice Specs, Icium-Z and Choice Scarf sets.
Porygon-Z does the same with just specs and scarf ;(
Naturally, it's going to have a lot of viable sets with stats like those. Even in gen 6 it was one of the most versatile Pokemon in 1v1, only being dwarfed by Porygon-Z and Deoxys-Defense, whose alternative sets covered much more ground in terms of beating viable threats than the more niche or cteam-y options that Kyurem has to offer.
Like legit, icium loses to everything from S+ to A, excluding koko, frail crustle, and some lele sets

Kyurem-Black should move from A+ to S-Rank
Despite my argument saying how Kyurem-Black isn't really all that versatile, I agree with this notion.
Looking at the current VR, the only gen 7 thing that beats Kyurem is Magearna who tf uses Buzzwole, otherwise, all the other threats have already been around for previous generations. What's missing, though, are the things that didn't carry over immediately to gen 7 which we don't have at the time of this being posted, namely Gardevoir-Mega, Aggron-Mega, Altaria-Mega, Diancie-Mega, Heracross-Mega, Lopunny-Mega, Tyranitar-Mega, and a plethora of Custap Berry users. All these Pokemon threatened Kyurem's typical sets and kept it from being too powerful, pushing it down to A level viability even though it never really got there in gen 6. But since all these things are gone, Kyurem's normal sets can run a lot more rampant, which is why I agree that this thing should be moved to any level of S rank until we get these threats/counters back.

Hi This Is SparkyHeliolisk,
I would just like to talk about my opinions on the current 1v1 meta mainly in viability
(Please Note: I am writing this as of now and the meta might change so don't hold this against me if my opinions don't become valid in anyway after the writing of this post)
So first of all I would like to talk about one of my favourite pokemon in 1v1 (that for some reason I could find on this ranking!)

Furret!
Such a diverse movepool this is the set I run which works for me
Furret @ Assault Vest
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Brick Break
- Aqua Tail
- Shadow Claw
This gives Furret 279 Speed with a Good ATK stat and assult vest will help let it take a hit
Another Option would be to give it Jolly Nature a have a speed stat of 306 outspeeding a decent chunk of pokemon
With Jolly it can even outspeed a Adament M-Charizard X and then having a move to KO the "Best" Pokemon in the Meta
M-Charizard X being S Rank
For all of this I would put Furret a pokemon considered to be "Just another bad Rodent Pokemon" in C+ to C-

Furret : Unranked > C- to C+

I was also (more) supprised to not see Manaphy on the list as it is one of the best pokemon in my team I use second often (It does better fir me than the Dragonite and Jirachi on that team)
The Set I use for Manaphy is one that is often seen in ny play style for Manaphy
Manaphy @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
With The Timid Nature it has the speed stat of 328 (I think outspeeding or drawing with a Jolly M-Charizard X) it doesn't even need that tail glow and with Scald, Shadow Ball and Ice Beam it becomes a really viable pokemon that has the potential to be the Bucket Out to the rule of M-Charizard X
For all of that honestly I would put Manaphy at A or A- Rank

Unranked (I Think) > A or A-

Now I am just getting back into the meta of 1v1 for gen 7 and I am LOVING the work that Dream Eater Gengar is doing
Smell You Later
SparkyHeliolisk (AKA Blue)

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
I would just like to talk about my opinions on the current 1v1 meta mainly in viability
(Please Note: I am writing this as of now and the meta might change so don't hold this against me if my opinions don't become valid in anyway after the writing of this post)
So first of all I would like to talk about one of my favourite pokemon in 1v1 (that for some reason I could find on this ranking!)

Furret!

This gives Furret 279 Speed with a Good ATK stat and assult vest will help let it take a hit
Another Option would be to give it Jolly Nature a have a speed stat of 306 outspeeding a decent chunk of pokemon
With Jolly it can even outspeed a Adament M-Charizard X and then having a move to KO the "Best" Pokemon in the Meta

For all of this I would put Furret a pokemon considered to be "Just another bad Rodent Pokemon" in C+ to C-

I was also (more) supprised to not see Manaphy on the list as it is one of the best pokemon in my team I use second often (It does better fir me than the Dragonite and Jirachi on that team)
The Set I use for Manaphy is one that is often seen in ny play style for Manaphy

With The Timid Nature it has the speed stat of 328 (I think outspeeding or drawing with a Jolly M-Charizard X) it doesn't even need that tail glow and with Scald, Shadow Ball and Ice Beam it becomes a really viable pokemon that has the potential to be the Bucket Out to the rule of M-Charizard X

Now I am just getting back into the meta of 1v1 for gen 7 and I am LOVING the work that Dream Eater Gengar is doing
Smell You Later
Quite frankly, Furret is a horrible pokemon and I'm surprised you won a single game with it. Scroll through the viability rankings. You will not find any pokemon that Furret can beat. As for Manaphy, it definitely doesn't deserve A, but I agree that it should be ranked somewhere (maybe C?). Last gen it was already in the B range, but with the introduction of Z-moves and the loss of Custap, Manaphy struggles to find a niche.

Felucia

Robot Empress

Furret!

Smell You Later
Furret is a questionable pick, the only situation in which I can see Furret working is....
*thinking*
Sorry can't think of anything.

But
I agree with you on manaphy. Imo it deserves a rank, but no higher than C

Reactions: pqs
Hi guys. parr0t here, I am a long-time lurker on the fourms and I figured I should post here sometime.

VICTINI: B- > C+

Victini really wishes it was faster. Its middling stats all around force it to run a choice set and even then it struggles to gain ohkos. That doesn't mean it is without merit but it is relatively outclassed by other pokemon and would fit better in C+.

GENGAR-MEGA: B > B-/C+

I agree with a lot of what Kentari said about this being overranked. It's main set (hypnosis) relies almost completely on luck and other sets like bulky wisp can be viable under the right circumstances but they are relatively niche picks.

NECROZMA: C- > D/Unranked

I cant really think of a reason to use this at all. It looks good on paper but is limited by a bad movepool and typing. It has pretty much no way of pressuring anything that doesn't mind a Prismatic Laser and even then the laser does not have that many targets. All in all a very bad pick for 1v1

KARTANA: B+ > B/B- (ninja edit)

Equipped with a disgusting 181 attack, a very nice speed tier and a great defensive typing, Kartana looks to be a champion of 1v1. However a combination of below average offensive typing, Awful special bulk, A useless ability and an inability to capitalize on it's speed tier means that you have a very mediocre pokemon that can only take on a handful of relevant threats.

Last edited:

pizzq

Banned deucer.
nomming shaymin for at least C-

UnleashOurPassion and i made a shaymin set
Shaymin @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpA / 136 SpD / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

it is
  • a gyarados counter
  • a tapu koko counter
  • beats aegislash most of the time
  • diverse movepool
  • beats alot of other shit that i forgot to mention

you can basically run any moves you want and with the power of choice specs seed flare+coverage it should be enough to do a good job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)