AAA Almost Any Ability

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some sets from me:
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Before going on saying "Unaware is better", it should be noted that a Wish from Chansey heals like 300 HP, which shouldn't be ignored. Anyways, this set can fit both on offense (providing recovery for sweepers and such) and on stall (providing recovery for walls with no reliable recovery). Nothing much to explain except that you Wish and then switch out/Protect. Otherwise, it's the standard set.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog / Taunt
- Brave Bird

I find this set really cool on a team that needs something against stall. Toxic can hit Skarmory and such, forcing easy switch-ins. Roost is its recovery. Taunt does a great job against non-Magic Bounce walls, while Defog is hazard remover. BB is for Buzzwole and other stuff while also not making it a Taunt bait.

I apologize for any spelling mistakes as I'm on mobile.

Banned abilities that are allowed in OU (in other words, not moody or power construct) can be used on Pokemon that naturally have those abilities. By the same logic, Archeops, Dragonite, Dugtrio, unbound Hoopa, Kartana, Keldeo, black Kyurem, Regigigas, Shedinja, and Slaking are allowed in OU, so shouldn't they be allowed on condition that they don't change their ability? If this were true, would the format really be more broken?

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
In light of my recent loss in the AAA branch of OMPL, I'd like to suggest discussion around the possibility of looking at banning some of the more overpowered Pokemon, as AAA is in a similar state to Sketchmons, being left unbalanced due to the bans from last gen being lifted and not having enough of a playerbase to voice concerns about these overpowered threats.

Threats include, but are not limited to:
Mamoswine - For having 0 safe switchins without being absolutely required to use an ability specifically for it.
Terrakion - For the same reason as Mamoswine, but instead sacrificing priority for setting up
Aerilate/Noivern/Landorus-Therian - The nuclear power being thrown around by just these two mons has hardly any options to prevent them from netting at least one kill, the only counters being specific sets on specific pokemon, Landorus being Unaware Skarmory, and Noivern having RegenVest Magearna. While the counters may be commonly used mons, it's basically unfair to all the other mons that these things are allowed. The reason why I also suggest considering Aerilate itself is because odds are that even if these two DO get banned, alternative Aerilate users will take their place and wreak havoc as well, though it may be a similar case to last gen with having to choose between banning Adaptability or several mons because of Adaptability.
Tapu Koko - This thing is an offense killer, being faster than just about everything except the hyperspeed Mega Evolutions, while also dealing damage on comparable levels to Kyurem-Black. Sure, there are things that can wall it naturally, but it can just do the same as Pheromosa and pivot out to get an even larger edge.
Weavile - Has outstanding STABs that hardly anything can safely switch in on, while also having great coverage options as well, not to mention the ability to trap opponents with the threat of Pursuit, making many matchups a 50/50 as a result, in addition to being able to set up and sweep. It'd be as much of an offense killer as Koko if Tapu Fini weren't as prevalent as it is, as well as momentum.
Victini - Fire spam in general is pretty rough in AAA, but most Fire types require a turn or two of setup in order to become dangerous, while Victini just ignores needing a turn and just nukes things with V-Create, or its alternative coverage moves. It has a wide plethora of moves and potential abilities it can use to make it as equally unpredictable as it is deadly. Realistically, there is nothing that comes in safely that lacks the specific counter abilities of Flash Fire, Primordial Sea, and the less popular Thick Fat.
Xurkitree - It has higher Special Attack than Hoopa-Unbound, the ability to pivot, a Sleep-inducing move, and one of the best setup moves in the game. It's essentially a few speed tiers away from being a hypnotizing Kartana. In AAA, you can basically build it to counteract just about anything you want, having Surge Surfer to take out offense, Mold Breaker to ruin stall, and a whole rainbow of possibilities in other abilities and moves to take on anything else it doesn't already threaten.

Even if none of these suggestions get implemented, I just hope AAA can find balance by the time next OMPL comes around, so that the meta can be a bit more standardized and fair/reasonable to play, as opposed to having to worry about 50 things going around and warping the meta all at the same time. I'd hate to see AAA take the same fall as Sketchmons due to the lack of action :(

I can provide more details and factual justification if needed/wanted

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
In light of my recent loss in the AAA branch of OMPL, I'd like to suggest discussion around the possibility of looking at banning some of the more overpowered Pokemon, as AAA is in a similar state to Sketchmons, being left unbalanced due to the bans from last gen being lifted and not having enough of a playerbase to voice concerns about these overpowered threats.

Threats include, but are not limited to:
Mamoswine - For having 0 safe switchins without being absolutely required to use an ability specifically for it.
Terrakion - For the same reason as Mamoswine, but instead sacrificing priority for setting up
Aerilate/Noivern/Landorus-Therian - The nuclear power being thrown around by just these two mons has hardly any options to prevent them from netting at least one kill, the only counters being specific sets on specific pokemon, Landorus being Unaware Skarmory, and Noivern having RegenVest Magearna. While the counters may be commonly used mons, it's basically unfair to all the other mons that these things are allowed. The reason why I also suggest considering Aerilate itself is because odds are that even if these two DO get banned, alternative Aerilate users will take their place and wreak havoc as well, though it may be a similar case to last gen with having to choose between banning Adaptability or several mons because of Adaptability.
Tapu Koko - This thing is an offense killer, being faster than just about everything except the hyperspeed Mega Evolutions, while also dealing damage on comparable levels to Kyurem-Black. Sure, there are things that can wall it naturally, but it can just do the same as Pheromosa and pivot out to get an even larger edge.
Weavile - Has outstanding STABs that hardly anything can safely switch in on, while also having great coverage options as well, not to mention the ability to trap opponents with the threat of Pursuit, making many matchups a 50/50 as a result, in addition to being able to set up and sweep. It'd be as much of an offense killer as Koko if Tapu Fini weren't as prevalent as it is, as well as momentum.
Victini - Fire spam in general is pretty rough in AAA, but most Fire types require a turn or two of setup in order to become dangerous, while Victini just ignores needing a turn and just nukes things with V-Create, or its alternative coverage moves. It has a wide plethora of moves and potential abilities it can use to make it as equally unpredictable as it is deadly. Realistically, there is nothing that comes in safely that lacks the specific counter abilities of Flash Fire, Primordial Sea, and the less popular Thick Fat.
Xurkitree - It has higher Special Attack than Hoopa-Unbound, the ability to pivot, a Sleep-inducing move, and one of the best setup moves in the game. It's essentially a few speed tiers away from being a hypnotizing Kartana. In AAA, you can basically build it to counteract just about anything you want, having Surge Surfer to take out offense, Mold Breaker to ruin stall, and a whole rainbow of possibilities in other abilities and moves to take on anything else it doesn't already threaten.

Even if none of these suggestions get implemented, I just hope AAA can find balance by the time next OMPL comes around, so that the meta can be a bit more standardized and fair/reasonable to play, as opposed to having to worry about 50 things going around and warping the meta all at the same time. I'd hate to see AAA take the same fall as Sketchmons due to the lack of action :(

I can provide more details and factual justification if needed/wanted

* Mamoswine: Adaptability + Life Orb is a pain in the butt to deal with (2HKOing some Skarmory variants after Stealth Rock damage), and the rare usage of Freeze-Dry doesn't leave Water-types safe either. Yes, we have no switchin for this guy barring Golisopod or unviable / nearly unviable options such as Levitating Steel-types (which still loses its item through Knock Off or hit by rare Superpower) or Thicc Fat Buzzwole, etc. It is not like this mammoth has a Stealth Rock weakness or anything and therefore is hard to shut it down fast. Looks like pseudo-BH Primal Groudon to a lesser degree.

* Terrakion: Dual STAB isn't good as Mamo but this guy has Swords Dance... but stuff like Zygarde or Magearna can revenge kill it as long as they are healthy. It is in good tier but I am not sure if it is banworthy.

* Aerilate / Noivern / Landorus-Therian: I think looking over or possibly banning Lando-T is the way to go, it virtually has no switch-ins. It can blow up walls with Swords Dance while 145 Attack lets it 2HKO majority of Unaware users in the tier, and Defensively it has 2 immunities that lets it switch in often while being neutral to Stealth Rock and immune to spikes / txspikes. Skarmory and Celesteela do exist but what else can switch into this tiger especially before it has been scouted? Noivern is walled by Chansey and Magearna, and stuff like Celesteela often carries Flash Fire.

* Tapu Koko: 115 Attack and 95 SpAtk leaves it very reliant on Choice items and the ability, and unlike Pheromosa (who has 130+ Atk STAB U-turn) it can't even pivot well and often offers a free switch-in for Ground-types. Standard Ferrothorn / Hippowdon walls it easily.

* Weavile: Probably the only safe switch-in for this weasel is Magearna and Tapu Fini, while the former loses its AV on Knock Off while the latter has to be poisoned beforehand. Even bulky physical walls can't repeatedly take Icicle Crash neutrally when the weasel has Life Orb / boosting ability. If Fairy-types weren't prevalent, this guy would be on radar.

* Victini: While it is awful in other tiers because of its mediocre stats that hinders its niche in access to STAB V-create, AAA lets it shine. Desolate Land + Choice Band is almost unbearable unless you have Primordial Sea user, and if there is anything that makes Victini feel irksome it can just pass on its Choice Item, leaving the target useless for the rest of the match, or simply U-turn out. Tinted Lens / Turboblaze and others are different pain to deal with.

* Xurkitree: Unlike Lando-T, it can switch into 0 occasions when it is against offensive teams, and if it is not scarf things are quite obvious (meaning non-scarf variants mostly carry Hypnosis or Tail Glow setup). Xurk is revenge killed by more than half of fast 'mons in the tier thanks to its fantastic typing and natural bulk which often falls to non-STAB Earthquake.

I suppose that I will unleash this monster unto the world:
https://pokepast.es/4831cbb41b020e4e
The gist of it is that while holding a King's Rock with Serene Grace, 6 hits is a (I think) 74% flinch chance. Correct my math if I'm wrong. It still loses to priority and anything faster, but it forces forfeits all day.
Cool. Your math is right, dw.

Poison Jab seems like it'd probably be better in the last slot to hit Fairies and have a good chance of poisoning non-Steel-types on the switch.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I suppose that I will unleash this monster unto the world:
https://pokepast.es/4831cbb41b020e4e
The gist of it is that while holding a King's Rock with Serene Grace, 6 hits is a (I think) 74% flinch chance. Correct my math if I'm wrong. It still loses to priority and anything faster, but it forces forfeits all day.
This seems like a fun set imo. Although it's best as a lead, as it relies on healthy allies and crippling them with a status will make the set less viable.

I'm not really sure why are you running Throat Chop over KOff. Is it to block Noivern's Boomburst? If yes, doesn't Icicle Crash deal with it already?

For last moveslot, there's def better move than Shadow Claw (Beat Up and Throat Chop already hit Ghost/Psychic-types for you). The aforementioned Poison Jab is nice to finish off Fairy-types. Pursuit is great to trap weakened mons, but you would be left with 3 Dark moves. Ice Shard is a great priority too. Low Kick can be run to defeat the rare Tyranitar and deal significant damage to Ferrothorn.

These things, hopefully, can cover for some of the set's flaws.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
* Terrakion: Dual STAB isn't good as Mamo but this guy has Swords Dance... but stuff like Zygarde or Magearna can revenge kill it as long as they are healthy. It is in good tier but I am not sure if it is banworthy.
Previously I was quite ignorant about Terrakion's presence in AAA because I belived Landorus-T offensively outclasses it, but I just wanted to mention that I noticed Terrakion hits the entire meta neutrally (barring Doublade), meaning walling Terrakion requires something that is naturally bulky enough to take CC or Stone Edge such as Buzzwole. Scarf sets are excellent revenge killers that are able to handle some dangerous sweepers such as SD Landorus-T, Quiver Dance Volcarona and others, and stall teams don't have hard time dealing with these variants of Terrakion. But... probably this is where Swords Dance sets enter and start threatening walls. Because Terrakion threatens the most relevant Unaware users (Chansey just gets popped while max Defense Skarmory is 2HKOed by Adaptability CC after Stealth Rock), at least for me it is very hard to make defensive counterplay against it, and it is not like it can be revenge killed easily because of its Speed tier and neutrality to Aerilate which lets it live maybe one Extreme Speed if not at -1.

If I heard it right, Terrakion is on the next AAA suspect chopping block, and at this point I'm just gonna go ahead and say "fair enough". It is not like Terrakion has 1 viable set / ability to use, it is somewhat unpredictable and even if the movepool can be anticipated, it mostly wrecks havocs.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why Aegislash remains banned?

Genesect, Mega Metagross and Landorus were all selectively unbanned despite each of them benefiting from the changes of the tier (not that I disagree with any of those unbans), but Aegislash remains banned despite it in my opinion being clearly balanced. It can't run anything other than Stance Change without being outclassed by Doublade, and its stance change set would hardly be as effective as its OU counterpart given everything around it would be much stronger and harder to take down.

free me pls

Last edited:
Is there any reason why Aegislash remains banned?

Genesect, Mega Metagross and Landorus were all selectively unbanned despite each of them benefiting from the changes of the tier (not that I disagree with any of those unbans), but Aegislash remains banned despite it in my opinion being clearly balanced. It can't run anything other than Stance Change without being outclassed by Doublade, and its stance change set would hardly be as effective as its OU counterpart given everything around it would be much stronger and harder to take down.

free me pls
Aegislash was in w0rd's stall team and keeping it banned is a good excuse to not have that team ever resurge.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
The council has unanimously agreed to allow Aegislash. It gains nothing, and has to worry about the common Fire and Ground attack everywhere. It also struggles with the common regenvests and walls in the meta. It does serve as a Terrakion check as well as a lure to get Klang back into AAA.

The Immortal

OK so I know I literally just posted about unbanning Aegislash but,
I just realized that after OU's Arena Trap ban Dugtrio would no longer be able to run Arena Trap at all, so that's a safe unban too (and Arena Trap isn't needed on the banlist anymore).

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Terrakion Suspect Announcement

Terrakion is now being suspected on the AAA ladder on PS. Terrakion is a scary offensive threat in the metagame, boasting a high attack stat and a 108 base speed. Its STAB combination is nearly unresisted, being almost limited to Doublade/Aegislash within the meta, as far as prominence is concerned. Additionally, Close Combat has little downside and 120bp, allowing it to be spammed and 2HKO even the strongest defensive walls like Skarmory.

Common sets: Its Choice Band set can break through almost any defensive wall in the meta. It is essentially only defensively checked by Intimidate Buzzwole/Hippowdon/Gliscor. Its Choice Scarf set outspeeds almost all of the meta, including other common Scarf users like Victini. A Swords Dance Rockium set creates a powerful set up sweeper that can beat its would-be checks. All of these sets use Adaptability. It can also run a Mold Breaker hazard lead set.

On the downside, Terrakion is one dimensional. It will always be a hard hitting threat that almost exclusively relies on Fighting and Rock STABs, the latter of which can be very risky. Due to its one dimensional outlook, it can be prepared for fairly easily. A bulky Intimidate user will usually do the trick for either of its choiced sets, but they can be played around due to the existence of Rockium. Also, Doublade is a very reliable check, and the introduction of Aegislash brings another perfect check to the meta. A defensive Regenerator Aegislash set renders Terrakion 100% useless. Lastly, while Terrakion has decent bulk, its typing is horrid defensively, with the only strength being a Fire resist. It cannot switch into Magearna, or any Water or Ground type mons in the meta, making it a risky play to send into defensive foes.

Suspect details:

The requirements to vote are only 2700 COIL on the suspect ladder. Like usual, this is a fairly low requirement, so please participate.
Estimation of how many battles you need based on your GXE

No alt name is required
Feel free to post your opinions about Terrakion at any time, regardless if you have met the reqs or not.

To make your vote, please comment a screenshot of your reqs and in bold write BAN or DO NOT BAN.
A 60% majority will be needed for a ban.

Note that Terrakion will be allowed on the ladder.

The suspect will end on October 11th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)