AAA Almost Any Ability

What options does stall have for checking Naganadel? Primordial sea Magearna completely walls it, but I'm wondering if there are other options (even if they're not as good at checking Naganadel, so long as they're sufficient).

What options does stall have for checking Naganadel? Primordial sea Magearna completely walls it, but I'm wondering if there are other options (even if they're not as good at checking Naganadel, so long as they're sufficient).
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: unaware
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold nature
- toxic
- soft-boiled
- seismic toss
- aromatherapy

+2 252 SpA Mold Breaker Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 319-376 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
(seismic toss is a 3HKO, by the way)

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: unaware
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold nature
- toxic
- soft-boiled
- seismic toss
- aromatherapy

+2 252 SpA Mold Breaker Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 319-376 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
(seismic toss is a 3HKO, by the way)
Okay, so they NP as you switch to Chansey. They NP again as you toss. They NP a 3rd time as you toss a second time. They nuke you the next turn. So, unless you opt for calm mind or light screen (probably not viable), Chansey fails to check.

Okay, so they NP as you switch to Chansey. They NP again as you toss. They NP a 3rd time as you toss a second time. They nuke you the next turn. So, unless you opt for calm mind or light screen (probably not viable), Chansey fails to check.
I know it's not the most reliable check, but you can waste the Z-move by switching to a dragon resist or using protect, or you can sacrifice Chansey and revenge-kill Naganadel.

Prankster Pex finds its way on every stall team nowadays.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 118-139 (38.8 - 45.7%)
252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 177-208 (58.2 - 68.4%)
It's not a battle Naga is ever winning, and prankster means it's really hard to pressure.

Specially defensive Swampert is a mon that would force Naga to waste it's z-move:
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 322-379 (79.7 - 93.8%)
0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 306-360 (106.6 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It's also just really good overall on stall cause scald / eq pressures a lot of mons.

Neutral mons, especially Regenvest users and weaker resists deal with it a lot better when it's not adapt.

+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 301-355 (74.5 - 87.8%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 301-355 (72.7 - 85.7%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 274-324 (67.8 - 80.1%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 294-346 (69.3 - 81.6%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 100+ SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 260-306 (64.3 - 75.7%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 228-270 (62.6 - 74.1%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 168 HP / 232+ SpD Snorlax: 429-505 (85.2 - 100.3%)
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 223-263 (68.4 - 80.6%)

Anyway those are some of the commonly used (or somewhat used) stall mons I can think of. Then the rest of dealing with Naga will be on how you play against it.

It's not easy but there are ways.

Just wanted to drop a weird/meme set that actually puts in work w/ the right team/pivots.
There isn't really much of an explanation for this other than boltbeam coverage has always been and will always be good, and now Kyurem can get away w/ it without having to fear burns. Laser Focus is really only there for those mons that run poison heal/protect (cough tapi fini/suicune aids), but other than that it's pretty much just a matter of switching in and pushing buttons. Obviously though, without the element of surprise it's a lot harder to get away with this set, but I just thought it was funny enough to warrant a post.

Kyurem @ Flame Orb
Ability: Galvanize
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Facade
- Roost
- Laser Focus

Edit- Here's a replay of it kind of puttting in work:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-983427116-2fvizcep4jnz7u1kobqc6rzh365gvyapw

Here's a few sets I enjoyed using theses past few months that I think are solid and have potential on many different teams.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Tomb
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Slapped this one on a couple of offensive teams that had a buzzwole weakness. It helps patch up weaknesses to a lot of bullshit mons like noivern and psychics, but also acts as a good check/Lure to triage buzzwole. Very easy to fit on teams.

Salamence @ Waterium Z
Ability: Aerilate
Shiny: Yes
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Dance

Really good addition to birdspam teams as it can bait in stuff like gligar/hippo/levitate stakata and kill them, also does quite a significant amount to skarm and whatnot. A very flexible and underated mon.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 212 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit
- Explosion

More and more I'm starting to enjoy regenvest mons that actually do damage. Metagross can be a really clutch pick for more offensive balance.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Tail

My original idea for offensive Regenvest, Goodra is typically passive as shit and I wanted to flip that on its head. It's so fat you can afford to run Modest max spa easily and the coverage and flexibility to switch moves can make it really hard to switch into. I used it once in OMPL and it did incredibly well. You do need smt for ferrothorn tho.

Milotic @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Magic Coat / Dragon Tail
- Recover
- Haze

Stole this one from Mark K but honestly it's super good. Very reliable wall to Magearna and Magic Coat give it a ton of utility will it be bouncing off webs on HO teams or Taunts from CM fini or w/e stall does. Scald also does actual damage as opposed to pex, and it's a really hard mon to pressure.

Tapu Koko @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Roost
- Taunt

Taunt / Roost koko is sooooo good, honestly a lot of Balance teams are just completely unable to properly get rid of it, and stopping recovers from various intimidate mons can make life hell for them.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

Perhaps not as useful now, but Regen scarf Chomp is a ridiculously good crutch against Tini / Volcarona / Ttar and whatever else, it's very hard to actually kill and is usually useful in every matchup.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Psyshock on Clown is actually really good as it allows you to OHKO Nihilego and take on Toxapex which you normally can't beat.

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge / Superpower
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake

Honestly so strong and so fun to use, never gets worn down and ppl never expect bulk up. Can really dismantle specific builds and does well against a lot of typicaly fire answers like Celesteela/ferro who try to seed it or Toxapex / Zapdos who kinda die.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Ice Shard

I've paired that mon with darm a few times to bait water types that give it trouble, it's a neato set.

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Naughty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Steam Eruption
- Explosion

Another mon I've paired with Darm that can OHKO water types, but this is also just a good set by itself (altho you can run return or smt over Explosion)

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Magnet Pull / Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch / Fire Punch / Recover
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Bulk Up

The important bit here is bulk up, medicham is a complete menace at +1. Magpull can potentially give you a free bulk up but Moldy means you can check dazzliong minior pre mega. Fire punch for doub.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Throat Chop
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Just a really neat pivot to Psychic types that can't be trapped by anything. Throat chop is useful to beat Bug buzz volcarona.

Lycanroc @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock
- Swords Dance

This set is garbage, lol. Really enjoyable tho.

This Mamo+Talon team is actually super solid featuring Milotic: https://pokepast.es/56348db5df533dc5
Koko Naga + magpull team featuring TauntRoost koko and Regenvest modest Goodra: https://pokepast.es/85c5991d6f2aceed
Another really solid balance featuring Psyshock Clown: https://pokepast.es/272e2efc3ba1c6a9
Tinted Buzz + Future Sign fat Balance featuring regenScarf Garchomp and Milotic: https://pokepast.es/5106ea166c828f02

Rain team featuring Dazzling Ttar: https://pokepast.es/6a58f0786d75ecac
Bird offensive balance featuring Waterium Mence and RegenVest Metagross: https://pokepast.es/6fd96f374c6e22f2
Webs that beats Kimbo a lot featuring Medicham, Darm and Volcanion: https://pokepast.es/73fdba5552259525

Weird team that somewhat works featuring Darm and Galie: https://pokepast.es/ac68e8763289be0f
Lycanrock looks amazing on pokepaste featuring Lycanrock and Incineroar: https://pokepast.es/4ceffeb41f8fb288
(Didn't want this to seem like a massive team dump so I took those that had multiple of the sets posted. I think they're all fun so give them a try if you wish)

Try some of them if they seem cool to you. And above all, enjoy yourself.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Ice Shard

I've paired that mon with darm a few times to bait water types that give it trouble, it's a neato set.
I've tried a similar set with mega pinsir on some terrible bird spam team to lure in skarm and its pretty solid as well.

1.jpg

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Just another aids cool set that catches a lot of teams by surprise. Personally, I like running it on stall, but this set beats excadrill, ferrothorn, and skarmory (non-shed shell). As long as none of them have magic bounce, you basically just try to get it in either by pivot or doubling and from there whittle them to death--and most of the time, even if ferro gets a leech seed off, knock off + taunt + roost usally beats it anyway. Outside of that, mandibuzz still decently works as an overall extra physical wall to a lot of things, so just a neat idea.

I don't think anyone made this set yet, but when I used to play AAA, this thing was a GOD.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Its just a normal Chansey set-with the exception of Stamina. Stamina helps boost this thing's poor defense stat to monstrous levels. Overall, this Chansey was the only way for me to win AAA when I used to play.

Here's a replay to prove it (the sweep begins turn 12 but you can watch my then terrible Suicune if you want): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-866752168

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)