Community Create-a-Team 2: M-Lopunny + Lando-T

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Teambuilding is something I don't think we do enough of as a community. It's time to come together and build the ultimate Smogon BSS team and take the ladder by storm! Each week we will work through a step in the teambuilding process, with a nomination period and a discussion/voting period. Once we have a team of 6 we will have a review and vote on any changes we want to do to finalize the team. Obviously teambuilding is much more complex than choosing 6 Pokemon one after the other, but there's no better way to do it when we're all voting on stuff. Once we're done I'll RMT the squad and arrange to have the team bred up for usage on cart!

To start with, nominate something you want to build the team around! This can be a singular Pokemon, a core, or an archetype.

Rules:
  • Only submit one idea each round. If you want to include something with your original nomination then edit your last post.
  • No shitty gimmicks. No bandwagon votes. I definitely want to encourage creative ideas but don't nominate / vote for something dumb for the sake of it. We want the team to be as competitive as possible.
  • Explain your ideas clearly and provide calcs / examples of why your idea is good to support your nomination. Just simply posting a moveset won't get you very far.
  • Feel free to critique nominations if you think they could be better, but no flaming ideas you don't like.
  • Don't be offended if things don't go your way. You may firmly believe your idea is the best but if it gets outvoted there's not much to do but improve the team afterwards.
  • You can reserve a nomination for 24 hours, after that I will delete your post and anyone else can claim it.

Week 1: Jhon's Mega Lopunny + Landorus-T core
Week 2: cant say's SubToxic Aegislash
Week 3: Psynergy's Zapdos
Week 4: nominations are happening!
WIP

Let's see what we can come up with!

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A R C H I V E

Week 1: LegoFigure11's Tapu Bulu + Heatran core
Week 2: Psyergy's Mega Gyarados
Week 3: ThickFatAzumarill's Helmet Cresselia
Week 4: ThickFatAzumarill's Electrium Z Blaziken
Week 5: cant say's Sash Lele
Week 6: Community voted to change Heatran's set and replace Cresselia with Landorus-T
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Tomb

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Protect

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 236 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Blaziken @ Electrium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
to get things started off I may as well nominate something:

I've been trying out some versions of psychic spam on the ladder and it's really fun, and I think there's potential for a solid team there, but I'm constantly switching stuff around in the last 4 to account for the core's weaknesses. I personally like bulky versions of both mons but anything can work really
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 50 EVs: 52 HP / 172 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

These sets look pretty wacky I'll admit but they do some cool stuff. Bulky Specs Lele still hits like a truck thanks to Psychic Terrain, and the bulk lets it 1v1 a lot of stuff it would otherwise lose to. It lives jolly M-Mence Double-Edge, adamant M-Blaze Flare Blitz, adamant Mimikyu Twinkle Tackle, +1 M-Gyara's STAB, adamant M-Kang's Double-Edge, has a great chance to live a heavy slam from defensive celesteela etc etc, and outspeeds neutral base 100s by 2 (meaning you outspeed things that try to creep base 100s as well.

The Alakazam lives a M-Kang Sucker Punch (outside terrain ofc) and ohkoes with Parental Bond Focus Blast, lives unboosted Mimikyu's Shadow Claw, ohkoes all except super tanky M-Mence, lives scarf Lando-T's EQ and KOes with HP Ice, has a great chance at living Meteor Mash and takes Iron head easily from M-Gross and 2hkoes with Shadow Ball.

If people prefer a more straightforward approach with simpler spreads then I'm cool with that!

Hello,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and have recently started getting into the competitive side of Pokemon. This is my first post here so please feel free to share any pointers. I'm by no means an expert.
I'd like to nominate Tyrantrum.

With access to Head Smash as a STAB and the Rock Head ability, Tyrantrum has one of the most powerful attacks with hardly a draw back. I'm running a Sp. Def set to make it less of a glass cannon, but when partnered with Trick Room it can become quite the sticky sweeper. You can also drop Dragon Dance and take Outrage/Superpower/Crunch with a Choice Band. Rockium-Z turns Continental Crush to a base power of 200 and also gives 100% accuracy to the move if you can't afford to miss.

Tyrantrum @ Rockium-Z/Lum Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Head Smash
- Poison Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Thanks and looking forward to seeing this development process as I'm still brand new to it all.

EDIT:
Johta gave some feedback below on this set and I've edited it in here for ease.
I actually like this one, but I don't think the Items and EV spread you've chosen are good. Tyrantrum is too fragile and it just won't last long enough to set-up and accomplish anything even if you've bulked it up a little. I'd ditch the SpD investment and dump everything in Speed, then slap a Focus Sash on it & switch Poison Fang with Stealth Rocks so it has at least one turn in which is it mostly guaranteed to do something.
This set would look like
Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to nominate Tapu Bulu + Heatran

This is a core that I don't see all that much on the ladder, but every time I do I seem to lose to it. Together the pair have excellent synergy, with Heatran being immune to the Fire- and Poison-type moves and resisting the Ice-, Flying- and Steel-type moves that threaten Tapu Bulu; and Bulu being able to easily stomach the Fighting- and Ground-type moves aimed at Heatran, while also being able to neuter Heatran's Ground weakness as well as boosting its own offensive presence with Grassy Terrain.
I've tried building around it before but never really know what to put with it, so I figured it would be an ideal candidate for a group project such as this.
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Tomb

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 164 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

The sets could probably do with some work, but they should be pretty standard. Bulu is AV and fast enough to beat Mimikyu (outspeeds 252+ Mimi after a Rock Tomb), with a nice HP number and the rest into Attack. Could probably be optimised a bit with calcs but it seems to do the job well enough.
Heatran is standard SpDef SubToxic, with enough Special bulk to be able to avoid having its sub broken by a single non-boosted Porygon2 Thunderbolt. Toxic / Sub / Protect are self explanatory and allow it to beat fat mons like P2 and Cress, and Lava Plume is a reliable STAB with a handy 30% chance to burn that can help to patch up its uninvested Physical Defence

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Here's something interesting that I've heard a lot about in theory but haven't seen all that often in practice: Buzzwole. Stop me if I'm off the mark here but I feel like Buzzwole is exactly the kind of under-the-radar type of Pokémon that we could build a really interesting team around, because it has a seriously solid niche as a physical tank and Fighting-type heavy hitter that others of a similar kind can't keep up with. Buzzwole stands out from the crowd due to a few factors: its Bug typing allows it to bypass the Psychic-types that usually hardwall other Fighting-types, such as Cresselia and Slowbro, with powerful Bug-type attacks, and also gives Buzzwole a valuable resistance to Ground that it can use alongside its formidable physical bulk to take on such threats as Mamoswine, Garchomp, Excadrill, and Landorus-Therian; it has a passable 79 Speed that it can use to stallbreak slower teams without the need for investment, unlike slower Fighting-type threats such as Conkeldurr; a limited but varied offensive movepool allows it to pick and choose what can switch into its attacks, with Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Poison Jab, and Earthquake being among the tools at its disposal; and finally, a high Attack stat and Beast Boost allow it some versatility in item choice, with Choice Band, All-Out Pummelling, Life Orb, and Assault Vest all seeing common use. While it has a useful niche, Buzzwole's typing does come with some drawbacks, and it has a negative matchup against some common threats such as Mimikyu, Blaziken, Tapu Lele, and Salamence. Its low special bulk does it no favours against strong special attackers such as Mega Gengar if it's not holding an Assault Vest as well. Despite this, I feel like these threats will be worth covering what with the tools that Buzzwole can bring against the many supportive threats and scary physical attackers that this format brings.

Attached is a sample set, but I want to stress that Buzzwole has a lot of different viable things that it can run, so we should determine moveset and item choice based on what's best for the team:

Buzzwole @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Thunder Punch/Leech Life

Last edited:
Hello,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and have recently started getting into the competitive side of Pokemon. This is my first post here so please feel free to share any pointers. I'm by no means an expert.

With access to Head Smash as a STAB and the Rock Head ability, Tyrantrum has one of the most powerful attacks with hardly a draw back. I'm running a Sp. Def set to make it less of a glass cannon, but when partnered with Trick Room it can become quite the sticky sweeper. You can also drop Dragon Dance and take Outrage/Superpower/Crunch with a Choice Band. Rockium-Z turns Continental Crush to a base power of 200 and also gives 100% accuracy to the move if you can't afford to miss.

Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Poison Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Thanks and looking forward to seeing this development process as I'm still brand new to it all.
I actually like this one, but I don't think the Items and EV spread you've chosen are good. Tyrantrum is too fragile and it just won't last long enough to set-up and accomplish anything even if you've bulked it up a little. I'd ditch the SpD investment and dump everything in Speed, then slap a Focus Sash on it & switch Poison Fang with Stealth Rocks so it has at least one turn in which is it mostly guaranteed to do something.

Anyway, as for my own nomination:

I sincerely think people don't use Mega Fluffly as often as they should. It's definitely one of those mons that suffer from the "Jack-of-all-Trades but Master of None" syndrome. It's really not the best at any of the many things it does ( except meme with Cotton Guard ), however this versatility is what gives the edge over it's competition for that one teamslot and what makes it more fun to use also.

Fluffy @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast/Toxic/Refresh
- Toxic/Hidden Power Ground
- Roost

Pretty fun and self-sufficient set. Bulky enough to tank hits and wear the opponent down with Pixelated Boost Hyper Voice ( which hits for significant damage anything that doesn't resist it or is extremely specially defensive ) or Toxic for those who some sort of reliable recovery on their back. Refresh is a cool move because it allows Mega-Altaria to beat the likes of Defensive P2 or Chansey if ever gets stuck in a 1 on 1 situation against them. Fire Blast & HP Ground allow for almost perfect coverage in tandem with Hyper Voice.

An offensive DD set would be cool too, but I see very little reason to use that when Mega Salamence exists and performs that role so, so, so much better.

nominating belly drum snorlax

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Frustration / Facade
- Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Recycle

really fun set to use. crushes some balance and stall teams really well. lax is pretty unexplored in bss right now, maybe for good reason but i think it has a decent amount of potential. super berries with gluttony can make this thing really annoying sometimes. and after a BD its ofc putting in a ton of work if its not getting ohko'd. it def has some big weaknesses that need to be patched up tho, like blaziken and mons that put on a lot of pressure like salamence and sd mimikyu.

+4 172+ Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+5 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 223-264 (130.4 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 171-202 (108.9 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 210-247 (119.3 - 140.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 204-240 (89.8 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 279-328 (122.9 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 222-262 (108.8 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 205-243 (95.3 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Some recent BSPL matches inspired me to nominate this one:

We all need some good memes every once in a while, and this one is a surprisingly decent meme. While Camerupt may not be the best mega overall, it's a solid option for trick room teams. The cool thing is that Mega Camel can also use Sheer Force and Terrain-boosted Nature Power when paired with Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu to defeat its would be Water-Type checks.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magma Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Nature Power / Hidden Power [Ice] / Substitute
- Ancient Power / Rock Slide

Fire Blast is used instead of Flamethrower for max damage potential. Nature Power should only be used with Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu, otherwise HP Ice is an option to bop Salamence. Sub is a niche option for opps that try to stall out Trick Room with Protect or switches. For the last slot, Rock Slide or Ancient Power complete Camerupt's coverage, and which move you use come down to personal preference. Ancient Power has 100% accuracy and uses Camerupt's higher Special Attack stat, while Rock Slide hits Charizard Y and Volcarona harder(this is important if Volcarona is already boosted, since Ancient Power can't OHKO Volc at +1 SpD).

I may not have the best explanation bc I'm super tired and I'm on mobile, but I would like to nominate:

I feel like Aurora Veil is an underutilized tool in the current meta. It allows nearly any decently bulky Pokemon to set up rather safely. I have toyed with this concept on with of my earliest teams with Mega Mawile, but more sweepers can set up safely with Veil up. Even on its own, Alolan Ninetales is a decent Pokemon. Its Snow Warning allows it to replace opposing weather, Freeze Dry allows it to deal with Water-types, Encore to shut down setup sweepers, and Moonblast and Blizzard for overall coverage.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Rain. Rain is funky and cool, but under appreciated. Its a great to revenge on a lot of the format, and rain is quite strong as it is. It just needs a good amount of support. Kingdra+Politoed is always solid as rain.

Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Encore
- Perish Song
- Scald

Kingdra @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 23 SpD
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Last edited:

I've been trying out some versions of psychic spam on the ladder and it's really fun, and I think there's potential for a solid team there, but I'm constantly switching stuff around in the last 4 to account for the core's weaknesses. I personally like bulky versions of both mons but anything can work really
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

These sets look pretty wacky I'll admit but they do some cool stuff. Bulky Specs Lele still hits like a truck thanks to Psychic Terrain, and the bulk lets it 1v1 a lot of stuff it would otherwise lose to. It lives jolly M-Mence Double-Edge, adamant M-Blaze Flare Blitz, adamant Mimikyu Twinkle Tackle, +1 M-Gyara's STAB, adamant M-Kang's Double-Edge, has a great chance to live a heavy slam from defensive celesteela etc etc, and outspeeds neutral base 100s by 2 (meaning you outspeed things that try to creep base 100s as well.

The Alakazam lives a M-Kang Sucker Punch (outside terrain ofc) and ohkoes with Parental Bond Focus Blast, lives unboosted Mimikyu's Shadow Claw, ohkoes all except super tanky M-Mence, lives scarf Lando-T's EQ and KOes with HP Ice, has a great chance at living Meteor Mash and takes Iron head easily from M-Gross and 2hkoes with Shadow Ball.

If people prefer a more straightforward approach with simpler spreads then I'm cool with that!
+1 for this core
Lately i wanted to build around it as well, and doing it all togheter seems pretty fun.
Also, last CCAT was a more balanced team, whereas this looks pretty offensive, and considering my tendency to build mainly HO teams i like the idea even more

Last edited:
+
/
(A fat Steel and some other generally bulky stuff)

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Healing Wish
- Fake Out

It sees practically no usage on Lopunny, but I think Healing Wish is a very strong move. It's been one of my favourite moves to use since 4th gen, back then with Latias and Jirachi. Bringing back a weakened pokemon from near death, often by surprise, is amazing. Your opponent may have already exhausted their check(s) for the now revived mon, leaving them suddenly very vulnerable.
This is could be particularly benificial for pokemon which are prone to getting worn down, such as Aegislash or Tapu Fini.

+1 for this core
Lately i wanted to build around it as well, and doing it all togheter seems pretty fun.
Also, last CCAT was a more balanced team, whereas this looks pretty offensive, and considering my tendency to build mainly HO teams i like the idea even more
+2, I'm in the process of building one now. Would love to see what the community comes up with!

Even though i do love the idea of the psychic spam duo, and even if most of the things that i wanted to build around have been already nominated, i'm going to nom something myself as well:

In a meta full of fairies and dragons, this thing can be a pretty good call. Also, i always wanted to build a singles Trick Room. Both, Mawile and TR sound pretty anti-meta to me, and it could be fun to build around it.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 188 HP / 124 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Fire Fang / Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

The EVs are to always OHKO Mega Blaziken with Play Rough at +0, and to hit 95 speed so that even without TR, if p2 gets a paralysis with Discharge, Maw could outspeed up to Jolly Mega Mence, while still be slower than things such as 0 Spe Heatran so that you will always outspeed it inside the TR. (it's also good if we decide to put something like Glare Serperior in the team)

some defensive calcs:
236 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 120-143 (80.5 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile in Psychic Terrain: 60-72 (40.2 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 114-134 (76.5 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 96-114 (64.4 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

some offensive calcs:
124+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Blaziken: 156-184 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
124+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 166-196 (113.6 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

an offensive example, if we manage to put stealth rock somewhere
-1 124+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 140-168 (81.8 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

With Maw in the team you need to be as strong as possible vs threats such as Charizard Y, or special attackers in general, since Mawile can also use its Intimidate to help p2. That's why i went for a specially defensive set here.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Return / Foul Play / Tri Attack
- Ice Beam / Recover
- Discharge / Recover

Last edited:
I suggest scarf Heatran

If heatran is a beast with this moveset he will be a god, if he is modest with HP will be a OHKO against Lando-Th wich is one of his principals counters. Then you can put different moves (flamethrower, fire blast, magma storm, lava plume, etc), flash cannon and finally earth power. Is not a new Heatran but is something people won't expect bcause the most common heatran is the stealth rock or the sub+toxic. With this heatran , lele and a dragon pokemon we can do a very good basic core.

PROVISIONAL SET:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
Placeholder

I'm on mobile now, but I have a core in mind.

I'd like to see what a very bulky or hyper offensive core could do in Battle Spot.

Last edited:
Stall/hax is a somewhat rare team on Battle Spot, although it is pretty damn effective when pulled off. Now what if there was a stall team with a little bit of praying to RNGesus?

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Minimize
- Toxic
- Protect / Softboiled
- Seismic Toss

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Not really much to explain here, because these two sets are funny enough by relying on RNG to make them function. They are definitely not unviable by themselves, but I just think this pair compliments each other nicely.

And no, this is not a shitty gimmick, as these are legitimate sets.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/tyranitar-mega.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/volcarona.gif
Volcarona and Mega Ttar. These two are two of the best, most hard hitting pokemon in ou.
The team I built around this has brought me great success though I admit i don't play a ton and therefore never got super high on ladder.
Tyranitar is the classic dragon dance set with earthquake for koko, heatran, and mega manectric.
Volcarona is a nuke set with Z- fire blast which OHKOes landorus, and giga drain over psychic.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

We all need some good memes every once in a while, and this one is a surprisingly decent meme. While Camerupt may not be the best mega overall, it's a solid option for trick room teams. The cool thing is that Mega Camel can also use Sheer Force and Terrain-boosted Nature Power when paired with Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu to defeat its would be Water-Type checks.

Modest / Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Fire Blast is used instead of Flamethrower for max damage potential. Nature Power should only be used with Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu, otherwise HP Ice is an option to bop Salamence. Sub is a niche option for opps that try to stall out Trick Room with Protect or switches. For the last slot, Rock Slide or Ancient Power complete Camerupt's coverage, and which move you use come down to personal preference. Ancient Power has 100% accuracy and uses Camerupt's higher Special Attack stat, while Rock Slide hits Charizard Y and Volcarona harder(this is important if Volcarona is already boosted, since Ancient Power can't OHKO Volc at +1 SpD).
+1 To Camerupt! I think that it would be really neat for everyone to build a team around something a little niche such as camerupt because it forces us to get a little creative, ensuring that we don't end up with a "boring" team.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
This seems to have run its course so I'll open up the voting stage. I didn't note this in the OP on purpose but I probably wont keep to a strict deadline with any stages, I'll decide to move on when I think there's been enough nominations/discussion. voting will usually last a couple of days. I'm too busy to do things at the same time each week. Just get in quick if you don't want to miss out!

Here's your options for where our team will start:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hello,

Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Poison Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

EDIT:
Johta gave some feedback below on this set and I've edited it in here for ease.
This set would look like
Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
I'd like to nominate Tapu Bulu + Heatran

This is a core that I don't see all that much on the ladder, but every time I do I seem to lose to it. Together the pair have excellent synergy, with Heatran being immune to the Fire- and Poison-type moves and resisting the Ice-, Flying- and Steel-type moves that threaten Tapu Bulu; and Bulu being able to easily stomach the Fighting- and Ground-type moves aimed at Heatran, while also being able to neuter Heatran's Ground weakness as well as boosting its own offensive presence with Grassy Terrain.
I've tried building around it before but never really know what to put with it, so I figured it would be an ideal candidate for a group project such as this.
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Tomb

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 164 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

The sets could probably do with some work, but they should be pretty standard. Bulu is AV and fast enough to beat Mimikyu (outspeeds 252+ Mimi after a Rock Tomb), with a nice HP number and the rest into Attack. Could probably be optimised a bit with calcs but it seems to do the job well enough.
Heatran is standard SpDef SubToxic, with enough Special bulk to be able to avoid having its sub broken by a single non-boosted Porygon2 Thunderbolt. Toxic / Sub / Protect are self explanatory and allow it to beat fat mons like P2 and Cress, and Lava Plume is a reliable STAB with a handy 30% chance to burn that can help to patch up its uninvested Physical Defence

Here's something interesting that I've heard a lot about in theory but haven't seen all that often in practice: Buzzwole. Stop me if I'm off the mark here but I feel like Buzzwole is exactly the kind of under-the-radar type of Pokémon that we could build a really interesting team around, because it has a seriously solid niche as a physical tank and Fighting-type heavy hitter that others of a similar kind can't keep up with. Buzzwole stands out from the crowd due to a few factors: its Bug typing allows it to bypass the Psychic-types that usually hardwall other Fighting-types, such as Cresselia and Slowbro, with powerful Bug-type attacks, and also gives Buzzwole a valuable resistance to Ground that it can use alongside its formidable physical bulk to take on such threats as Mamoswine, Garchomp, Excadrill, and Landorus-Therian; it has a passable 79 Speed that it can use to stallbreak slower teams without the need for investment, unlike slower Fighting-type threats such as Conkeldurr; a limited but varied offensive movepool allows it to pick and choose what can switch into its attacks, with Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Poison Jab, and Earthquake being among the tools at its disposal; and finally, a high Attack stat and Beast Boost allow it some versatility in item choice, with Choice Band, All-Out Pummelling, Life Orb, and Assault Vest all seeing common use. While it has a useful niche, Buzzwole's typing does come with some drawbacks, and it has a negative matchup against some common threats such as Mimikyu, Blaziken, Tapu Lele, and Salamence. Its low special bulk does it no favours against strong special attackers such as Mega Gengar if it's not holding an Assault Vest as well. Despite this, I feel like these threats will be worth covering what with the tools that Buzzwole can bring against the many supportive threats and scary physical attackers that this format brings.

Attached is a sample set, but I want to stress that Buzzwole has a lot of different viable things that it can run, so we should determine moveset and item choice based on what's best for the team:

Buzzwole @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Thunder Punch/Leech Life
Anyway, as for my own nomination:

I sincerely think people don't use Mega Fluffly as often as they should. It's definitely one of those mons that suffer from the "Jack-of-all-Trades but Master of None" syndrome. It's really not the best at any of the many things it does ( except meme with Cotton Guard ), however this versatility is what gives the edge over it's competition for that one teamslot and what makes it more fun to use also.

Fluffy @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast/Toxic/Refresh
- Toxic/Hidden Power Ground
- Roost

Pretty fun and self-sufficient set. Bulky enough to tank hits and wear the opponent down with Pixelated Boost Hyper Voice ( which hits for significant damage anything that doesn't resist it or is extremely specially defensive ) or Toxic for those who some sort of reliable recovery on their back. Refresh is a cool move because it allows Mega-Altaria to beat the likes of Defensive P2 or Chansey if ever gets stuck in a 1 on 1 situation against them. Fire Blast & HP Ground allow for almost perfect coverage in tandem with Hyper Voice.

An offensive DD set would be cool too, but I see very little reason to use that when Mega Salamence exists and performs that role so, so, so much better.
nominating belly drum snorlax

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Frustration / Facade
- Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Recycle

really fun set to use. crushes some balance and stall teams really well. lax is pretty unexplored in bss right now, maybe for good reason but i think it has a decent amount of potential. super berries with gluttony can make this thing really annoying sometimes. and after a BD its ofc putting in a ton of work if its not getting ohko'd. it def has some big weaknesses that need to be patched up tho, like blaziken and mons that put on a lot of pressure like salamence and sd mimikyu.

+4 172+ Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+5 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 223-264 (130.4 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 171-202 (108.9 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 210-247 (119.3 - 140.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 204-240 (89.8 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 279-328 (122.9 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 222-262 (108.8 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 172+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 205-243 (95.3 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Modest / Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

I may not have the best explanation bc I'm super tired and I'm on mobile, but I would like to nominate:

I feel like Aurora Veil is an underutilized tool in the current meta. It allows nearly any decently bulky Pokemon to set up rather safely. I have toyed with this concept on with of my earliest teams with Mega Mawile, but more sweepers can set up safely with Veil up. Even on its own, Alolan Ninetales is a decent Pokemon. Its Snow Warning allows it to replace opposing weather, Freeze Dry allows it to deal with Water-types, Encore to shut down setup sweepers, and Moonblast and Blizzard for overall coverage.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
Rain. Rain is funky and cool, but under appreciated. Its a great to revenge on a lot of the format, and rain is quite strong as it is. It just needs a good amount of support. Kingdra+Politoed is always solid as rain.

Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Encore
- Perish Song
- Scald

Kingdra @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 23 SpD
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
+
/
(A fat Steel and some other generally bulky stuff)

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Healing Wish
- Fake Out

It sees practically no usage on Lopunny, but I think Healing Wish is a very strong move. It's been one of my favourite moves to use since 4th gen, back then with Latias and Jirachi. Bringing back a weakened pokemon from near death, often by surprise, is amazing. Your opponent may have already exhausted their check(s) for the now revived mon, leaving them suddenly very vulnerable.
This is could be particularly benificial for pokemon which are prone to getting worn down, such as Aegislash or Tapu Fini.
Even though i do love the idea of the psychic spam duo, and even if most of the things that i wanted to build around have been already nominated, i'm going to nom something myself as well:

In a meta full of fairies and dragons, this thing can be a pretty good call. Also, i always wanted to build a singles Trick Room. Both, Mawile and TR sound pretty anti-meta to me, and it could be fun to build around it.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 188 HP / 124 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Fire Fang / Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

The EVs are to always OHKO Mega Blaziken with Play Rough at +0, and to hit 95 speed so that even without TR, if p2 gets a paralysis with Discharge, Maw could outspeed up to Jolly Mega Mence, while still be slower than things such as 0 Spe Heatran so that you will always outspeed it inside the TR. (it's also good if we decide to put something like Glare Serperior in the team)

some defensive calcs:
236 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 120-143 (80.5 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile in Psychic Terrain: 60-72 (40.2 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 114-134 (76.5 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 96-114 (64.4 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

some offensive calcs:
124+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Blaziken: 156-184 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
124+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 166-196 (113.6 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

an offensive example, if we manage to put stealth rock somewhere
-1 124+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 140-168 (81.8 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

With Maw in the team you need to be as strong as possible vs threats such as Charizard Y, or special attackers in general, since Mawile can also use its Intimidate to help p2. That's why i went for a specially defensive set here.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Return / Foul Play / Tri Attack
- Ice Beam / Recover
- Discharge / Recover
I suggest scarf Heatran

If heatran is a beast with this moveset he will be a god, if he is modest with HP will be a OHKO against Lando-Th wich is one of his principals counters. Then you can put different moves (flamethrower, fire blast, magma storm, lava plume, etc), flash cannon and finally earth power. Is not a new Heatran but is something people won't expect bcause the most common heatran is the stealth rock or the sub+toxic. With this heatran , lele and a dragon pokemon we can do a very good basic core.

PROVISIONAL SET:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Stall/hax is a somewhat rare team on Battle Spot, although it is pretty damn effective when pulled off. Now what if there was a stall team with a little bit of praying to RNGesus?

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Minimize
- Toxic
- Protect / Softboiled
- Seismic Toss

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Not really much to explain here, because these two sets are funny enough by relying on RNG to make them function. They are definitely not unviable by themselves, but I just think this pair compliments each other nicely.

And no, this is not a shitty gimmick, as these are legitimate sets.

Volcarona and Mega Ttar. These two are two of the best, most hard hitting pokemon in ou.
The team I built around this has brought me great success though I admit i don't play a ton and therefore never got super high on ladder.
Tyranitar is the classic dragon dance set with earthquake for koko, heatran, and mega manectric.
Volcarona is a nuke set with Z- fire blast which OHKOes landorus, and giga drain over psychic.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Magikingdra you missed out because you didn't even list the core / Pokemon you were thinking of in your placeholder. sorry.

-------------------------

Put your vote in bold and try to explain why you like it

For my vote, I'm gonna go with Jhon's Lopunny core. I used Lopunny a lot towards the end of ORAS and it was pretty sick. I've wanted to build a team for it this gen because I see a real niche for it in its speed and coverage but haven't really bothered yet lol. We'd need to decide on what Steel-type to pair it with though.

LegoFigure11's BuluTran. We should have something really simple and solid for the first community create a team, and this fits perfectly. BuluTran has been a classic since pokebank meta came out and still performs really well, so I'd love to see what we can come up with around this.

Can't say's Psychic Spam.

Been trying to make this work for awhile. Excited to see what a community can do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)