BSS Teambuilding & Help Thread (SuMo Edition Reloaded 2.0)

Hi, I'm looking for help putting together a Battle Spot Singles team. I haven't ever played competitive but I like to breed and I figured BS is the way to go since I prefer cartridge over PS!.

I want to stick with something fairly simple and solid instead of going for potentially harder teams that will let me practice and learn so no Trick Room or all in weather teams. I could certainly see a Hippowdon/Garchomp Sand core working for me since it seems pretty solid.

I have a couple of questions and then a list of Mons that I would like to use. I can get about anything available in Gen 6 or 7.

One of my favorite Mons from Gen 7 is Toxapex, but I'm not sure how viable it is in 3v3 since Toxic Spikes seems better 6v6. I see the B+ rating in the tier thread, and I wouldn't mind trying it, but I have no idea what kind of team it would fit into. Maybe with some WW/Roar users? Hippowdon? Or is Toxic just better on Toxapex in 3v3? Haze is also the kind of move I like, so maybe a set like the OU Smogon Dex one of Scald, Recover, Haze, and Toxic/Toxic Spikes?

Next I like the idea of (and have them bred :D) Mimikyu/Gengar/MGengar/Aegislash but obviously don't want to run too many Ghost types and there are so many Mimikyu sets I have no idea where or how it would fit in the team, though a Disguise+Sash set seems like something I would like to try.

I was going to list stuff I wouldn't mind using off the tier list, but it was getting too long. To make it short and sweet, I'll use anything but prefer to not use Landorus/Thundrus due to the time it would take me to get them. I'd also prefer not to use either Charizard.

TLDR
I'm a noob, like to breed on cartridge and need team building help. I'd like to use Toxapex if it's viable, and one of Mimikyu/Gengar/MGengar/Aegislash on my team with no Landorus/Thundrus unless they're really needed to help the rest of my team. Perhaps adding Hippowdon and Garchomp if that team would have any cohesion at all. Other Mons can be added at your discretion but I have no idea what to add without throwing 6 random Mons up and asking your opinion. Maybe
Toxapex
Mimikyu
MSalamence
Garchomp
Hippowdon
???
But that seems super weak to all the HP Ice I've been told is rampant in the meta.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for any help. :)
Welcome dude, i'll start saying that Toxapex is indeed viable, and synergizes pretty well with both Mence and Mimikyu.
Also Mega Salamence fits pretty well in sand teams, so you're half way there.

Anyway, with it, i'd rather use a Tyranitar + Excadrill sand core, adding a last pokemon that might deal with Bulky Water-types, such as Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu (specially this one last, that thanks to its Grassy Terrain mitigates Toxa's and TTar's ground weakness).

So the team new would be Toxapex / Mimikyu / Mega Salamence / TTar / Excadrill / Bulu.
Try it and then let us know if you need help again, or join the battle spot room on Ps to get some "live" help with the team or for some friendly battles

Hello everyone,

I played pokemon for fun and storyline since the very first gen, but to be honest I only started playing competitive since Gen 6 (ORAS).

I like competitive playing a lot with the mindgames the predictions and everything it has. The one problem that I've been always facing when it comes to teambuilding is the fact that I like to build around pokemons that I really like, not only the strong ones if that makes sense.

This month they distributed the stone that I was waiting for (Galladite) and lord M-Gallade is back in the game. back in ORAS I used the core (M-Galalde/Bisharp) a lot, so I built again around the same core this time on S/M, but the problem is that I built my team in OU format ( Was able to reach 1500 but I never went higher to be honest).

I would really enjoy playing battles on Cartridge as I prefer that, and therefore I would like to start playing on BSS format. I tried to use the same team I used in OU in BSS as well on Ps, but the fact That you always need to pick 3 made me feel the core (Bisharp/ Gallade) is lacking something is S/M.

Hence, I would be very grateful if you give me any leads on what would be a nice competitive BSS team around the said core.

These are the sets I am using, you may notice that they lack some abilities (Justified for Gallade) and moves (Knock off and zen headbutt for Gallade again) but that is because I am breeding on my moon cartridge and have no access to poke bank for the time being.

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Bisharp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

The Lum Berry on Bisharp is very useful when the opponent attempts a T-Wave or a WoW it's like a wasted turn.

And BTW, I actually noticed that Shadow Sneak on Gallade comes in very handy especially considering the high usage of Mimikyu in the metagame, this is a replay where Sneak proved to be very handy:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-620165313

Also, If you want to see what kind of team I was using on OU to see my style of playing just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

I played pokemon for fun and storyline since the very first gen, but to be honest I only started playing competitive since Gen 6 (ORAS).

I like competitive playing a lot with the mindgames the predictions and everything it has. The one problem that I've been always facing when it comes to teambuilding is the fact that I like to build around pokemons that I really like, not only the strong ones if that makes sense.

This month they distributed the stone that I was waiting for (Galladite) and lord M-Gallade is back in the game. back in ORAS I used the core (M-Galalde/Bisharp) a lot, so I built again around the same core this time on S/M, but the problem is that I built my team in OU format ( Was able to reach 1500 but I never went higher to be honest).

I would really enjoy playing battles on Cartridge as I prefer that, and therefore I would like to start playing on BSS format. I tried to use the same team I used in OU in BSS as well on Ps, but the fact That you always need to pick 3 made me feel the core (Bisharp/ Gallade) is lacking something is S/M.

Hence, I would be very grateful if you give me any leads on what would be a nice competitive BSS team around the said core.

These are the sets I am using, you may notice that they lack some abilities (Justified for Gallade) and moves (Knock off and zen headbutt for Gallade again) but that is because I am breeding on my moon cartridge and have no access to poke bank for the time being.

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Bisharp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

The Lum Berry on Bisharp is very useful when the opponent attempts a T-Wave or a WoW it's like a wasted turn.

And BTW, I actually noticed that Shadow Sneak on Gallade comes in very handy especially considering the high usage of Mimikyu in the metagame, this is a replay where Sneak proved to be very handy:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-620165313

Also, If you want to see what kind of team I was using on OU to see my style of playing just let me know.

Thanks in advance.
You are definitely correct that Gall-Sharp is a very lacking core in SM. With a lot of new and very viable Fairy types, and other good walls, Mega-Gal finds a much harder time sweeping than in ORAS. Bisharp has also lost a lot of viability since a lot of Fairies that are viable can kill it easily, namely Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele, which are top dogs of BSS (also Mimikyu is, but it won't destroy it as badly).

Not haviny tutor moves kinda hurts Mega Gallade, since Ice Punch helps so much with tackling Dragonite, Gliscor, Lando-T, Garchomp, and MegaMence (on a switch), especially if you use Swords Dance.

Imo the best way to go with Bisharp in Battle Spot this gen is Sash Metal Burst. It eats a strong hit and punishes it by using Metal Burst, which is kinda like a general Counter/Bide but you don't go last.

As for supporting this core, you need something that can deal with Fairies easily. Celesteela is a good Pokemon that checks Fairies and some other common Battle Spot Pokemon like MegaMence, Lando-T, and whatnot.

Now that we look at what your core may struggle against, it is weak to common fire types like Zard X and Y, Blaziken, and Volcarona. Something like Azumarill or Primarina can help you out there.

I'll do sets later

Hey everyone,

I have been playing Pokemon for a while, but I am just starting BSS, and I would really appreciate some help on starting a team that is relatively easy to use, and is good enough to not get 3-0'd. I have a lot of competitively bred mons, but I don't know how to create a strong balanced team. I kinda want to start a team around my relatively basic ScarfChomp, or my M-Blaziken.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw

Blaziken @ Blazikenite

Ability:Speed Boost -> Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick
-Protect
-Stone Edge

Edit: I have been attempting Free Battles with my BlazeChomp combo, and I have been fairly successful, winning about 2/3 of my battles. I have to throw in a random mon, which usually ends up being my Protean Greninja.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I have been playing Pokemon for a while, but I am just starting BSS, and I would really appreciate some help on starting a team that is relatively easy to use, and is good enough to not get 3-0'd. I have a lot of competitively bred mons, but I don't know how to create a strong balanced team. I kinda want to start a team around my relatively basic ScarfChomp, or my M-Blaziken.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw

Blaziken @ Blazikenite

Ability:Speed Boost -> Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick
-Protect
-Stone Edge

Edit: I have been attempting Free Battles with my BlazeChomp combo, and I have been fairly successful, winning about 2/3 of my battles. I have to throw in a random mon, which usually ends up being my Protean Greninja.
Hi dude, welcome to the bss meta
With those two Ferrothorn seems like a good partner, guarding both from some of their weaknesses. With it in the team i'd complete the well known Blazi/Ferro/Zapdos core.
So now you have 4 mons out of 6. At this point i'd add a fairy, maybe such as Fini just to complete the fwg core and a secondary mega such as Kanga, that might work pretty well with the mons around Blazi as well.

Hi dude, welcome to the bss meta
With those two Ferrothorn seems like a good partner, guarding both from some of their weaknesses. With it in the team i'd complete the well known Blazi/Ferro/Zapdos core.
So now you have 4 mons out of 6. At this point i'd add a fairy, maybe such as Fini just to complete the fwg core and a secondary mega such as Kanga, that might work pretty well with the mons around Blazi as well.
Thanks for the welcome and the team advice. I got all of the team together, here are their sets.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw

Blaziken @ Blazikenite

Ability: Speed Boost -> Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick
-Protect
-Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 92 Def/ 164 SpD
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite

Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
I put Return over Double Edge, just because even though Double Edge does a bit more damage, I didn't want to have to deal with the massive recoil damage, and Return at max friendship packs nearly the same punch. Unfortunately, since this mon was bred in Sun and Moon, I don't have the TM for Power up Punch, so I put Fake Out instead.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z

Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP/ 252 Def/ 12 Spe
Bold Nature
-Moonblast
-Surf
-Mist
-Calm Mind

Zapdos @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost
-
Don't have access to Heat Wave, do you have a suggested Filler move? I am currently running Volt Switch, just for the momentum gain

If there are any problems with how this team's sets are laid out just tell me back. Most of my sets were taken from the Smogon Recommendations. Also, if you could give me a few pointers on how to use this team effectively, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and the team advice. I got all of the team together, here are their sets.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw

Blaziken @ Blazikenite

Ability: Speed Boost -> Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick
-Protect
-Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

EVs: 252 HP/ 92 Def/ 164 SpD
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite

Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
I put Return over Double Edge, just because even though Double Edge does a bit more damage, I didn't want to have to deal with the massive recoil damage, and Return at max friendship packs nearly the same punch.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z

EVs: 244 HP/ 252 Def/ 12 Spe
Bold Nature
-Moonblast
-Surf
-Mist
-Calm Mind

Zapdos @ Leftovers

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost
-
Don't have access to Heat Wave, suggested Filler move, maybe defog?

If there are any problems with how this team's sets are laid out just tell me back. Most of my sets were taken from the Smogon Recommendations. Also, if you could give me a few pointers on how to use this team effectively, that would be much appreciated. Also, I
On Zapdos you want to run something like toxic or volt switch because defog is bad in bss. Either way how do you not have access to heat wave but you do have access to defog because defog is gen 4 only and heat wave is gen 6?

Also you should run Z haze, not Z mist on Fini, along with running stealth rocks over spikes on ferrothorn because among other things spikes is a huge momentum drain.

On Zapdos you want to run something like toxic or volt switch because defog is bad in bss. Either way how do you not have access to heat wave but you do have access to defog because defog is gen 4 only and heat wave is gen 6?

Also you should run Z haze, not Z mist on Fini, along with running stealth rocks over spikes on ferrothorn because among other things spikes is a huge momentum drain.
The Zapdos I got was over GTS, and it came from a gen 4 game. I just gave it Volt Switch. I changed Fini to haze, and I just checked the relearner, and I guess I forgot to breed rocks onto Ferrothorn. I am going to try and rebreed it asap.

Edit: Ferrothorn rebred to get rocks.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I have been enjoying Pokemon since around 2nd gen. I've recently started getting into the competitive aspect of it through some friends. I pretty much understand basics such as ev's/iv's and the general roles that mons serve in a battle. I'm curious about the kind of mindset that one has when making a BSS team. What makes a good team comp? How many tank/support/offense mons do you want to run? Things like that. I've seen a lot of people on this thread talking about "core" mons, so I'm curious about that too. I'm assuming that you have to think about it a bit differently compared to making a 6v6 team. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited:
I understand that this page has been slightly dead, but I do need some help with a team I want to build. I was thinking of building around Calm Mind + Stored Power Mega Latias.

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost

I'm not quite sure about the filler move (Ice Beam was suggested, but I have also thought about things like Draco Meteor or Thunderbolt) and I have no idea what other Pokemon I should have on this team. Thanks in advanced!

I understand that this page has been slightly dead, but I do need some help with a team I want to build. I was thinking of building around Calm Mind + Stored Power Mega Latias.

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost

I'm not quite sure about the filler move (Ice Beam was suggested, but I have also thought about things like Draco Meteor or Thunderbolt) and I have no idea what other Pokemon I should have on this team. Thanks in advanced!
A good starting point could be this:

@ Lum Berry / Filler item if not using Pursuit
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 50
EVs: 204 HP / 148 Atk / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit / Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Foul Play

This deals with Mega Gengar, that 2HKOs your mega; it deals with Ferrothorn that could be hard to take down, specially with seeds; it deals with dragons such as Garchomp and Mega Salamence (it's not ohkod by Eq and ohkos both with Ice beam), since the former often runs Sash or Scarf and the latter is naturally faster.
It could also take a LO Play Rough from Mimikyu, and break its disguise, but it won't work as a check for it.

A good starting point could be this:

@ Lum Berry / Filler item if not using Pursuit
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 204 HP / 148 Atk / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit / Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Foul Play

This deals with Mega Gengar, that 2HKOs your mega; it deals with Ferrothorn that could be hard to take down, specially with seeds; it deals with dragons such as Garchomp and Mega Salamence (it's not ohkod by Eq and ohkos both with Ice beam), since the former often runs Sash or Scarf and the latter is naturally faster.
It could also take a LO Play Rough from Mimikyu, and break its disguise, but it won't work as a check for it.
I like this. Also cool how Latias can check some Fighting-types that threaten it, but a shared weakness to Bug and Fairy does kinda suck. I've considered using Celesteela as a check to Fairies, how does that sound?

I like this. Also cool how Latias can check some Fighting-types that threaten it, but a shared weakness to Bug and Fairy does kinda suck. I've considered using Celesteela as a check to Fairies, how does that sound?
The faries you want to check include koko/lele/primarina and fini. Ferro deals better with those. The added fighting weakness isn't welcome but you can remedy that with adding a ghost type or something to deal with it.

TTar is a starting point, able to check things that threatens the mega. With it of course you should complete the core with something that can deal with the duo's weaknesses. For istance specially defensivive P2, Celesteela, AV / SpDef + Ipapapa Lando, Excadrill and such can all be great partners. Feesh Squad Try to build it and come back here so we can try to improve it

TTar is a starting point, able to check things that threatens the mega. With it of course you should complete the core with something that can deal with the duo's weaknesses. For istance specially defensivive P2, Celesteela, AV / SpDef + Ipapapa Lando, Excadrill and such can all be great partners. Feesh Squad Try to build it and come back here so we can try to improve it
OK I played a few matches. I have found this team gets destroyed by Greninja while severely struggling versus certain offensive teams. Like this one: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-637000051

OK I played a few matches. I have found this team gets destroyed by Greninja while severely struggling versus certain offensive teams. Like this one: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-637000051
As already said in the chat, those suggestions of mine were for the third slot, not to stick all togheter lol. Anyway try to add Tapu Koko over Celesteela, it'd help you deal with your Gren / Celesteela match up

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb / Electrium Z / Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice] / [Ground]
- Volt Switch / U-Turn / Taunt

Maybe another mega could help as well, for istance Mega Gyarados that fits pretty well in cores such as your sand one or Lando/Koko as well.
@ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall / Substitute
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake / Substitute
- Dragon Dance

and since Excadrill and Lando feel a little redundant so you might want to switch one of them. So i'd add Mega Gyara over one of these

As already said in the chat, those suggestions of mine were for the third slot, not to stick all togheter lol. Anyway try to add Tapu Koko over Celesteela, it'd help you deal with your Gren / Celesteela match up

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb / Electrium Z / Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice] / [Ground]
- Volt Switch / U-Turn / Taunt

Maybe another mega could help as well, for istance Mega Gyarados that fits pretty well in cores such as your sand one or Lando/Koko as well.
@ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall / Substitute
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake / Substitute
- Dragon Dance

and since Excadrill and Lando feel a little redundant so you might want to switch one of them. So i'd add Mega Gyara over one of these
Thanks again. This is what the team looks like right now: http://pokepast.es/4bf818134cfd0038
I haven't quite yet tested it because I have class, but it does look a whole lot better tbh.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Hey all, I am thinking about building a Trick Room offense team for BSS around this guy:

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fire Blast / Eruption
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

(Let's disregard the fact that I don't even know if this set is the most optimal. Feel free to point out different moveset / EV spread if the one I posted is awful).

First of all this Camerupt is capable of 1v1'ing both Mega's of Charizard as well as being one of the safest switch-in to Tapu Koko. I think I can pair this with a Grass-type called Ferrothorn, which is a reliable check to Mega Gyarados while offering hazard support, or Tapu Bulu, which lets Camerupt occasionally survive unexpected Earthquake from various opponents and switches into Tapu Fini reliably.

I'd like other partners (or the ones that fit better than Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu) suggested for this guy. The main goal is to build a core that is not outclassed by Heatran + Tapu Bulu core, I want the core to have some offense and to function well under the Trick Room. Thanks!

Not sure how active this thread is but I need a lot of help! This is my first attempt at a BSS (or any competitive) team.

I went with what I assume is a standard core and tried to tune it a bit. I am trying it out on PS but want to build it on cartridge as well and play the ladder there.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Mist
- Calm Mind

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Questions (and I hope I don't get too long):
  • Does the team work? I have 0 experience team building but I wanted something fairly simple and straight forward to learn with.
  • I'm not sure about Tapu Fini. I didn't see any SpD builds but I was lacking a Special tank on my team so I figured I would try it. It + Greninja may pull Grass/Electric types but I figured it was ok due to Protean.
  • Is Discharge considered better than Thunderbolt, specifically on this Zapdos?
  • So many of the spreads I saw for Greninja were Naive, will 0 Atk Timid work? I picked all Special moves but I'm not sure if the physical is needed.

I welcome all comments, meanwhile I'll be grinding PS. :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure how active this thread is but I need a lot of help! This is my first attempt at a BSS (or any competitive) team.

I went with what I assume is a standard core and tried to tune it a bit. I am trying it out on PS but want to build it on cartridge as well and play the ladder there.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Mist
- Calm Mind

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Questions (and I hope I don't get too long):
  • Does the team work? I have 0 experience team building but I wanted something fairly simple and straight forward to learn with.
  • I'm not sure about Tapu Fini. I didn't see any SpD builds but I was lacking a Special tank on my team so I figured I would try it. It + Greninja may pull Grass/Electric types but I figured it was ok due to Protean.
  • Is Discharge considered better than Thunderbolt, specifically on this Zapdos?
  • So many of the spreads I saw for Greninja were Naive, will 0 Atk Timid work? I picked all Special moves but I'm not sure if the physical is needed.

I welcome all comments, meanwhile I'll be grinding PS. :)
This looks really decent for a newer player like yourself, so nice job! There are a couple things that I would change though:

You want Bullet Seed on Ferro to be able to take on bulky Water-types without relying too much on Zapdos, so drop Protect.

Z-Haze is much better than Mist as it gives a way to check things like Baton Pass Eevee in an emergency. I don't really like Calm Mind on this build, I would swap it for Taunt or Nature's Madness.

Taunt on Mimikyu is kinda useless, Shadow Claw is the most obvious replacement but there are lots of options available to you. Both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave are cool but won't work with Misty Terrain on the field, Curse is really nice too for bulky stuff and Baton Pass / boosting strats.

I'm not the biggest fan of Scarf Gren although it isn't a terrible set. Without a Focus Sash user on the team I would probably use that on it, but you can also use Life Orb or a Z move (since you're unlikely to bring both Gren and Fini to the same game).

Hope this helps you out a little!

Thanks cant say! Do you think the Calm Fini will work out for me before I go catch one on my game? I figure I can always trade for the more standard Natures.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks cant say! Do you think the Calm Fini will work out for me before I go catch one on my game? I figure I can always trade for the more standard Natures.
Oh i didn't even think to look at them. I would make Fini Bold and Ferrothorn Sassy (with appropriate EV spreads maximising those natures). You'll be using Blaziken + Zapdos + Ferrothorn more than anything so you want a specially defensive mon to compliment Zapdos and check Tapu Lele. Fini is weak to too many common Special attackers so using it as a physically bulky mon is its best use (otherwise you just use Primarina as an offensive option).

Updated:

I just started playing BSS and PvP in general. I've been working on teambuilding and I'd be interested in the input of more experienced players. My current squad has a solid (and standard), but I'd be open to changes. I've had a terrible time finding a sixth mon.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Surf
- Grass Knot

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Hydro Pump

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

??????

**YOU CAN SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH***Greninja is basically my MVP. With the choice scarf it outspeeds everything pretty much, including enough to outspeed and OHKO Blaziken and Salamence after a boost. It also outspeeds and OHKOs the rarer Mega Swampert. U-Turn is great for scouting threats, and unless they have priority, I will go first. Heatran is a nuisance to a lot of teams. With the air balloon there's a surprising number of things that can't touch it at all. I chose Scizor over Metagross for Swords dance and the recovery, but I could be persuaded to switch. Gengar does Gengar stuff, like Destiny Bond kill threats I otherwise couldn't get around. Fini I added to take care of Mega Gyarados, and it's worked well.

BUT THAT SIXTH MON... I've tried things like Lando-T, Thundurus-T, Tyranitar, Venusaur but I find myself leaving them on the bench a lot, and when I bring them in, they always seem to run into Hidden Power Ice or a Rock Slide. (I've considered Garchomp, Cresselia, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Lele) Maybe they're the wrong choice, maybe I'm running the wrong set but any advice would be very much appreciated

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Updated:

I just started playing BSS and PvP in general. I've been working on teambuilding and I'd be interested in the input of more experienced players. My current squad has a solid (and standard), but I'd be open to changes. I've had a terrible time finding a sixth mon.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Surf
- Grass Knot

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Hydro Pump

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

??????

**YOU CAN SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH***Greninja is basically my MVP. With the choice scarf it outspeeds everything pretty much, including enough to outspeed and OHKO Blaziken and Salamence after a boost. It also outspeeds and OHKOs the rarer Mega Swampert. U-Turn is great for scouting threats, and unless they have priority, I will go first. Heatran is a nuisance to a lot of teams. With the air balloon there's a surprising number of things that can't touch it at all. I chose Scizor over Metagross for Swords dance and the recovery, but I could be persuaded to switch. Gengar does Gengar stuff, like Destiny Bond kill threats I otherwise couldn't get around. Fini I added to take care of Mega Gyarados, and it's worked well.

BUT THAT SIXTH MON... I've tried things like Lando-T, Thundurus-T, Tyranitar, Venusaur but I find myself leaving them on the bench a lot, and when I bring them in, they always seem to run into Hidden Power Ice or a Rock Slide. (I've considered Garchomp, Cresselia, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Lele) Maybe they're the wrong choice, maybe I'm running the wrong set but any advice would be very much appreciated
Hey there! This is a really common issue when teambuilding, especially in Battle Spot where you're not bringing everything to every game. I think the best advice I can give in this instance is that it's okay if you have a mon or two or on your team that don't see as much play as the others: as long as it's able to fulfill the role/answer the threat you've added it for without compromising the flow of the team, then it's doing its job. As for specific mons that you could add, at a glance I can see that you're a little weak to Bulky Water types, especially Toxapex and Rotom-Wash. Grass Knot Greninja can only do so much, and while Gengar is generally pretty nice for dealing with bulky mons (especially stuff like Slowbro and Tapu Fini), the rest of your team is really going to struggle to push past these threats. Also beware of Electric types, in particular Tapu Koko because you lack an Electric resist and while you do have options for outspeeding Koko, Gengar is a speedtie and neither Scizor nor Greninja can take it out in one hit. If it's Scarf you're in even more trouble. The safest way to attempt to cope with these threats is with a Ground-type, however many of them lose to Rotom and with things like Koko and Zapdos and Thundurus-T, you always have to be prepared for Hidden Power Ice. If it were up to me I've give Gastrodon a shot, but that's a little off-the-wall so maybe play around with Excadrill, Garchomp or Landorus-T as you have in the past.

I got this team together a while ago and I've been doing decently well with it, but I think it could use some fine tuning still.

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Surf
- Haze

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Thundurus-Therian @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Anything you guys would change?
If it helps, this team struggles against Suicune, Cresselia ( & by extension, TR in general ), Fini, Mamoswine, Porygon2, Lele, Mimikyu & Rotom-W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)