SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
What's the deadline of the suspect? I was planning on getting late reqs but at this point idk if there's enough time for that.

Are there plans to start testing Pokemon that were quickbanned during beta and haven't been retested again somewhat soon? I know UU got a load of strong things from OU recently that needs to be looked into first, as is already being done, I'm just curious if this is the plan. I think a fair bunch of them including, but not limited to, Scolipede, Porygon-Z and Diggersby would be fine in the current meta as opposed to the beta.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Yes you can run for Latias Defog with Z move ^^

Is Defog Mega Latias Viable? I needed a defogger but it seems like the Calm Mind + Stored Power set is all the hype right now

You can't run a Z move with Mega Latias because both require an item.

Defog Mega Latias is viable but not as threatening as other CM Stored Power sets, can still work and be optimal for you depending on your team but overall not optimal for the metagame

Akai

Indeed akai is either a mom or 50
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
You can't run a Z move with Mega Latias because both require an item.

Defog Mega Latias is viable but not as threatening as other CM Stored Power sets, can still work and be optimal for you depending on your team but overall not optimal for the metagame
My bad I didn't read the full sentence ...

Probably getting far too ahead of myself but at what point does BL become populated enough to be its own tier? Or even more unlikely, have a mass unban since many of those Pokemon have not existed in UU together and could potentially be balanced with new Pokemon to check or counter them?

Probably getting far too ahead of myself but at what point does BL become populated enough to be its own tier? Or even more unlikely, have a mass unban since many of those Pokemon have not existed in UU together and could potentially be balanced with new Pokemon to check or counter them?
ADV had 50 Pokémon in BL with less than half of the total Pokémon.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Speaking of ADV BL, is the ADV UU community going to ever re-test any of theses and possibly ban other mons as well? Looking through BL rn, there's just a lot of threats that don't really seem to be overwhelming, especially compared to Kanghaskhan.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There's a lot of pushback to doing any tiering for past gen tiers for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is: at what point do you stop? Do you re-tier things based on usage from official tours? Do you let those effects trickle down to other tiers below that? As a general practice, tiers are "frozen" once the new gen version of the tier comes out of beta. Especially when you take into account that there's no official tour presence for those tours, the incentive to re-tier them diminishes. The reason some tiers like ADV NU/PU are an exception to this rule is because largely these are tiers that were created after the fact; they didn't exist at the time when ADV was the active gen, and so they're "created" tiers with no real legacy to speak of. Since they came into existence mostly for fun and while another gen was the active gen anyhow, there's no real reason to not make tiering decisions.

There's a lot of pushback to doing any tiering for past gen tiers for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is: at what point do you stop? Do you re-tier things based on usage from official tours? Do you let those effects trickle down to other tiers below that? As a general practice, tiers are "frozen" once the new gen version of the tier comes out of beta. Especially when you take into account that there's no official tour presence for those tours, the incentive to re-tier them diminishes. The reason some tiers like ADV NU/PU are an exception to this rule is because largely these are tiers that were created after the fact; they didn't exist at the time when ADV was the active gen, and so they're "created" tiers with no real legacy to speak of. Since they came into existence mostly for fun and while another gen was the active gen anyhow, there's no real reason to not make tiering decisions.
So if the tier settles, could regular re-suspects be a thing while SM is the current gen?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
There is a checks compendium in the UU teambuilding compendium on the forums, however it is heavily outdated (still referencing clefable, for instance) and should under no circumstances be relied on to accurately represent the current meta. Forum moderators will update it eventually(tm), but for now we are, for all intents and purposes, without one.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Is it better to run Flamethrower or Overheat on Volt Switch Manectric-Mega?
typically you'd want both T-bolt and Volt Switch on Mega Manectric since Volt Switch is a reason why Mega Manectric is favorable (Volt Switch + Intimidate is pretty great). You'd pretty much want to decide between Flamethrower or Overheat depending on what you prefer (perfect accuracy + sustained damage over lower accuracy + lower SpA + burst damage)

Starmie, Tentacruel, or Blastoise as a rapid spinner? I'm starting with support so I don't have anything else on the team except I know I'm using Scizor

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Starmie, Tentacruel, or Blastoise as a rapid spinner? I'm starting with support so I don't have anything else on the team except I know I'm using Scizor
It depends. Starmie is incredibly fast and has great coverage, in addition to either being able to play a bulky role or an offensive one. If you're using offensive Scizor, you're likely using VoltTurn so Starmie is best there. If you're not, Blastoise-Mega is an alternative as it's more powerful and bulkier with a different typing, tho no recovery really sucks. Tentacruel is for balance, decent typing and lots of utility but kind of passive.

It depends. Starmie is incredibly fast and has great coverage, in addition to either being able to play a bulky role or an offensive one. If you're using offensive Scizor, you're likely using VoltTurn so Starmie is best there. If you're not, Blastoise-Mega is an alternative as it's more powerful and bulkier with a different typing, tho no recovery really sucks. Tentacruel is for balance, decent typing and lots of utility but kind of passive.
Why is tentacruel ranked lower in the viability rankings?

Hello UU thread! New player to UU here, I was just wondering what Gardevoir-Mega was running right now in the current meta? There isn't an analysis for it in the Pokedex or in the analysis sections so I was just curious. The set I've been running is as follows:

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

I was just curious what other folks were running! Thanks in advance for your replies!

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
mega gardevoir is pretty flexible on what it can run outside of its two stabs, hp fire being a superb option given the popularity of scizor and substitute taking advantage of the many switches mega gardevoir forces, while also easing prediction, so both of your picks are viable and undoubtedly useful already. as for other options, gardevoir learns will-o-wisp, which can cripple steel types like mega aggron and mega steelix on the switch in, and taunt, which, given the amount of slower, bulkier support oriented mons gardevoir draws in, has high value in particular imo, stopping rocks, defog, status and more. other than that there's still focus blast if you don't mind trading consistency for the ability to break through steels like empoleon. if mega swampert was still roaming the tier, i'd mention energy ball as with trace it can act as a decent check to it but that isn't of any concern atm obviously.

make sure to pick your coverage/support options in mind with what fits the needs of your team best, taunt might not be necessary if you have decent hazard removal or don't run spikes support, whereas a team weak to scizor should most definitely utilize hp fire on mega gardevoir.

edit: calm mind is also an option but due to the popularity of scizor and the meta being quite fast atm, it will most likely not sweep very often. however, it does fare well against stall.

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Why is tentacruel ranked lower in the viability rankings?
It lacks reliable recovery outside of Icium Z Haze, it's rather passive, it's physically frail and its typing isn't really that great in the current meta, especially relative to Starmie and Blastoise. That being said, the typing is helpful for it in many ways and it often finds itself on stall teams. Pokeisfun made a pretty good stall team with icium z haze. It also has toxic spikes and knock off for utility. That being said, stall isn't as good as offense so the other 2 spinners are naturally better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)