1v1 - The Old Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickenpie2

red:active
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Excadrill for B ~ B- Rank.
Has a few viable sets, most notably Groundium Z, Steelium Z, Rockium Z, and potentially a choice scarf or band set as well.
Excadrill has one of the best abilities in the 1v1 metagame, Mold Breaker, which allows it to break through mons with sturdy without fear of counter or other shenanigans.

There's definitely better sets out there, but this one's just an example:

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Magnet Rise
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb/Iron Head

Pokemon that it beats most of the time: Mega Mawile, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Aegislash, Magearna, Metagross (cos they usually run slow bulky ones if I'm not mistaken), Mimikyu, Donphan, Crustle, Golem, Magnezone, Porygon Z, Scarf Genesect or slow Specs, Meloetta, Primarina, Aggron, slow Landorus.

Pokemon that it can beat sometimes: Dragonite (Rockium Z OHKOs with Mold Breaker), MegaSableye (toxic with mold breaker), Snorlax (depends on sleep turns or if you want to run sub)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
image.jpg

Golem: B+ ---> A-

As a person who has used Donphan and Golem about the same amount, I firmly believe Golem is on an equal level to Donphan in terms of viability. For me, the duo is much like Golem and Rhydon in RBY OU: They're basically the same mon, but with slight variations between the two. We all know what Donphan does. Meanwhile, Golem is very similar, but with lower speed, Rock STAB, and a stronger but less reliable priority move. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything Donphan beats that Golem doesn't aside from Mega Lopunny.

To recap, I think Golem is just as viable as Donphan with plenty of niches to distinguish itself.

Last edited:
View attachment 89028
Golem: B+ ---> A-

As a person who has used Donphan and Golem about the same amount, I firmly believe Golem is on an equal level to Donphan in terms of viability. For me, the duo is much like Golem and Rhydon in RBY OU: They're basically the same mon, but with slight variations between the two. We all know what Donphan does. Meanwhile, Golem is very similar, but with lower speed, Rock STAB, and a stronger but less reliable priority move. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything Donphan beats that Golem doesn't aside from Mega Lopunny.

To recap, I think Golem is just as viable as Donphan with plenty of niches to distinguish itself.
Golem is just a Donphan that always loses the mirror. I think it’s fine where it is.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Golem is just a Donphan that always loses the mirror. I think it’s fine where it is.
Golem's RockiumZ set is vastly superior to Donphan's. It actually picks up the KO on bulky ZardX and it doesn't lose to substitute flying types. Also Golem's RockiumZ set beats Kyurem-Black.

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Golem: 306-360 (84.2 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
204+ Atk Golem Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Kyurem-Black: 492-578 (125.8 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Golem can also replace the item on both of its Z-Move sets with Weakness Policy and still be reliable. Beating Primarina, Tapu Fini, Ferrothorn and other things that would normally be too bulky to deal with.

Speaking of things that are too bulky to deal with... Golem actually has a chance against Dragonite (double rock tomb) and Genesect (sucker punch KOs while Ice Shard doesnt)

Speaking of having a chance against Dragonite. 204+ Atk Golem Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 306-361 (94.7 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO. I'd like to see Donphan try that.

I guess that's enough telling why golem deserves to be A- Ranked

Wait! It's not! Golem has something else Donphan can't dream to accomplish. This being a reliable Rock Blast set that lets it face off better against basically every substitute user ever, but most notably Mimikyu. Rock Blast Guaranteed breaks Mimikyu's substitute and every additional hit is one that will be eating away on either Disguise or its Health Points.

252+ Atk Golem Rock Blast (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 102-122 (40.6 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Donphan has been overrated for 100% of my 1v1 days, and Golem has been called bad for every single one of those days. Let's finally set this straight and Rank Golem A- Together with Donphan

If that's not satisfactory then Rank Donphan B+ Together with Golem

If you don't like that either, I'd be on board with Ranking Donphan B+ and Golem A- (that was a joke obviously)

I'd like to nitpick on this a little. Do you think 2 mons cannot be equally ranked, just because one loses to the other. Logically if you have 2 mons, one will always beat the other. If not you'd have one interesting battle without a winner. Anyway, that should never be ground for one of them being ranked lower than the other.

Golem's RockiumZ set is vastly superior to Donphan's. It actually picks up the KO on bulky ZardX and it doesn't lose to substitute flying types. Also Golem's RockiumZ set beats Kyurem-Black.

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Golem: 306-360 (84.2 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
204+ Atk Golem Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Kyurem-Black: 492-578 (125.8 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Golem can also replace the item on both of its Z-Move sets with Weakness Policy and still be reliable. Beating Primarina, Tapu Fini, Ferrothorn and other things that would normally be too bulky to deal with.

Speaking of things that are too bulky to deal with... Golem actually has a chance against Dragonite (double rock tomb) and Genesect (sucker punch KOs while Ice Shard doesnt)

Speaking of having a chance against Dragonite. 204+ Atk Golem Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 306-361 (94.7 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO. I'd like to see Donphan try that.

Wait! It's not! Golem has something else Donphan can't dream to accomplish. This being a reliable Rock Blast set that lets it face off better against basically every substitute user ever, but most notably Mimikyu. Rock Blast Guaranteed breaks Mimikyu's substitute and every additional hit is one that will be eating away on either Disguise or its Health Points.

252+ Atk Golem Rock Blast (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 102-122 (40.6 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Donphan has been overrated for 100% of my 1v1 days, and Golem has been called bad for every single one of those days. Let's finally set this straight and Rank Golem A- Together with Donphan

If you don't like that either, I'd be on board with Ranking Donphan B+ and Golem A- (that was a joke obviously)

I'd like to nitpick on this a little. Do you think 2 mons cannot be equally ranked, just because one loses to the other. Logically if you have 2 mons, one will always beat the other. If not you'd have one interesting battle without a winner. Anyway, that should never be ground for one of them being ranked lower than the other.
Wait! It's not! Golem has something else Donphan can't dream to accomplish. Getting facial hair, Alolan form :)

I know what some of you may think when reading this. I'm gonna attempt to push the following:

Scizor-Mega D -> C-

Scizor was likely placed in the D tier due to its notable fire type weakness. Its speed can hold it back often, and some attacks can overwhelm it. Its stab combo is also rather resisted. However, since it is so under used in the meta, the majority probably does not know/respect its stats:

Scizor-Mega
Typing: Bug/Steel
Ability: Technician

HP: 70
Attack: 150
Defense: 140
Sp. Atk: 65
Sp. Def: 100
Speed: 75

Mega Scizor has the attack power of Zekrom and is a bit more defensive than Skarmory. It is most known for its technician boosted Bullet Punch, which is essentially using a 90 BP move with +1 in the priority bracket. I used this move in combination with swords dance + technician + stab boosted Bug Bite to confirm many wins.

Scizor's movepool is rather shallow; although it lacks a ground/rock option, it has what it needs. Its weak moves are essentially useable thanks to technician. It has access to swords dance, iron defense, roost, and even morning sun.

The issue is actually getting Scizor a good matchup. The meta is infested with Charizard, and Hidden Power fire can come out of nowhere (Jirachi, Tapu Fini, and even Venusaur). It's possible to gamble it with a team containing anti-fire/anti-charizard but if a fire types come out you can pretty much forfeit.

Next I will provide my set, and some calcs

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 16 Def / 88 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Details:
EVs: 44 Speed lets it outrun Mega Venusaur and anything slower. 252HP/16Def/88SpD lets it survive Specs Greninja's Hydro Cannon with just 3 HP remaining, in which it can Bug Bite during the attack and recharge turn, and Gigavolt havoc from Tapu Koko. The remainder was invested into attack for power.

Moves: Bullet punch has a decent BP (90) thanks to technician and stab and is highly spammable against those who do not resist it, given its priority. Bug bite hits hard and the additional affect can mess up some strategies, such as ChestoRest Furfrou. Swords Dance boosts attack 2 stages and can hit very hard if Scizor can get the boost. Substitute is last, mainly to stop camping strategies and Yawn -> Protect Snorlax.

Defending:

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 236 HP / 88 SpD Scizor-Mega: 286-337 (84.1 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Scizor-Mega: 181-214 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Attacking:

+2 108+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 250-295 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

108+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie-Mega: 300-352 (98.6 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+1 108+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 456-536 (115.7 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Scizor may be powerful and have decent stats, but his typing holds it back often due to the high fire usage. I personally think C- is a better spot because it has a small niche against some camping strategies and rock/ice/fairy. Mega scizor can beat a few mons with a single bullet punch, such as Archeops, Mega Diancie, and Pheromosa. Bullet punch can also beat Flail Mega-Lopunny with its priority.

If they don't carry fire moves like overheat/hidden power fire, it can also bug bite Mew, set up against Mega Altaria, and substitute + set up on Mega Venusaur. Substitute can also help against Swampert and Ferrothorn. If your opponent mega evolves their Gyarados, +1 Bug Bite kills it, and Scizor can tank any Dragon Dance boosted attack from it.

However, make sure to inspect for Charizard, Genesect, Heatran, Marowak, Blaziken, and Victini because they can easily OHKO Scizor. It also struggles against Landorus-T, weakness policy Avalugg, Celesteela, and Jumpluff/Whimsicott.

To conclude, Scizor can prove a threat in-battle, but is essentially a gamble to use, because your opponent can surprise it, but so can Scizor.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I know what some of you may think when reading this. I'm gonna attempt to push the following:

Scizor-Mega D -> C-

Scizor was likely placed in the D tier due to its notable fire type weakness. Its speed can hold it back often, and some attacks can overwhelm it. Its stab combo is also rather resisted. However, since it is so under used in the meta, the majority probably does not know/respect its stats:

Scizor-Mega
Typing: Bug/Steel

HP: 70
Attack: 150
Defense: 140
Sp. Atk: 65
Sp. Def: 100
Speed: 75

Mega Scizor has the attack power of Zekrom and is a bit more defensive than Skarmory. It is most known for its technician boosted Bullet Punch, which is essentially using a 90 BP move with +1 in the priority bracket. I used this move in combination with swords dance + technician + stab boosted Bug Bite to confirm many wins.

Scizor's movepool is rather shallow; although it lacks a ground/rock option, it has what it needs. Its weak moves are essentially useable thanks to technician. It has access to swords dance, iron defense, roost, and even morning sun.

The issue is actually getting Scizor a good matchup. The meta is infested with Charizard, and Hidden Power fire can come out of nowhere (Jirachi, Tapu Fini, and even Venusaur). It's possible to gamble it with a team containing anti-fire/anti-charizard but if a fire types come out you can pretty much forfeit.

Next I will provide my set, and some calcs

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 16 Def / 88 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Details:
EVs: 44 Speed lets it outrun Mega Venusaur and anything slower. 252HP/16Def/88SpD lets it survive Specs Greninja's Hydro Cannon with just 3 HP remaining, in which it can Bug Bite during the attack and recharge turn, and Gigavolt havoc from Tapu Koko. The remainder was invested into attack for power.

Moves: Bullet punch has a decent BP (90) thanks to technician and stab and is highly spammable against those who do not resist it, given its priority. Bug bite hits hard and the additional affect can mess up some strategies, such as ChestoRest Furfrou. Swords Dance boosts attack 2 stages and can hit very hard if Scizor can get the boost. Substitute is last, mainly to stop camping strategies and Yawn -> Protect Snorlax.

Defending:

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 236 HP / 88 SpD Scizor-Mega: 286-337 (84.1 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Scizor-Mega: 181-214 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Attacking:

+2 108+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 250-295 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

108+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie-Mega: 300-352 (98.6 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+1 108+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 456-536 (115.7 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Scizor may be powerful and have decent stats, but his typing holds it back often due to the high fire usage. I personally think C- is a better spot because it has a small niche against some camping strategies and rock/ice/fairy. Mega scizor can beat a few mons with a single bullet punch, such as Archeops, Mega Diancie, and Pheromosa. Bullet punch can also beat Flail Mega-Lopunny with its priority.

If they don't carry fire moves like overheat/hidden power fire, it can also bug bite Mew, set up against Mega Altaria, and substitute + set up on Mega Venusaur. Substitute can also help against Swampert and Ferrothorn. If your opponent mega evolves their Gyarados, +1 Bug Bite kills it, and Scizor can tank any Dragon Dance boosted attack from it.

However, make sure to inspect for Charizard, Genesect, Heatran, Marowak, Blaziken, and Victini because they can easily OHKO Scizor. It also struggles against Landorus-T, weakness policy Avalugg, Celesteela, and Jumpluff/Whimsicott.

To conclude, Scizor can prove a threat in-battle, but is essentially a gamble to use, because your opponent can surprise it, but so can Scizor.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. You mentioned Mega Gyarados and Tapu Koko as relevant pokemon that it's good against. However, it beats neither of these. Who in their right mind mega evolves their Gyarados vs Scizor? Adamant or special Tapu Koko can easily flat-out OHKO Mega Scizor, but even if it doesn't, 2/3s of the time you fail to pick up the kill back. Non-Overheat Mew and RestoChesto Furfrou are irrelevant. Another reason that it's ranked so low is that it is extraordinarily easy to cteam: Just slap HP Fire onto anything. Don't get me wrong; it's definitely usable, but is quite at home in D rank.

We all love sturdy, don't we? Well, I personally believe 1 long boy with this ability is criminally underrated in 1v1.

Steelix - Unranked -> C

The Benefits Of Steelix (over other alternatives)
  • Steel/Ground is an excellent defensive typing, with resistances to 8 different types - this gives you the option to play Steelix in plenty of different matchups.
  • Fire types are of course prominent in 1v1 due to how good other steels like Magearna are, and these fires such as Mega Zard Y often will give trouble to these pokemon. However, Steelix's combination of being able to live a hit with Sturdy and then dishing out either a Stone Edge or Earthquake can make it too hot to handle (see what I did there?).
  • Of course, the main reason to use Steelix is due to sturdy. A free sash in an ability? Count me in! Additionally, this allows Steelix to make good use of Liechi Berry and the unreleased Custap Berry.
The Matchups Of Steelix
  • I think many of us are sad to see Kyurem-Black be suspected as we've all known and loved that big black dragon here in 1v1. But in the circumstance that it doesn't receive a ban, Steelix is here for it by resisting it and 2HKOing with Stone Edge, or (frustratingly) just missing out on a KO with Continental Crush.
  • Fighting and fire types are what should be the "bane" of Steelix, although it doesn't always struggle with 'em. Mega Lopunny, after a fake out, is unable to knock out Steelix with a high jump kick (if you have some def or HP investment!). Additionally, the famous Mega Zard Y drops to a Stone Edge, providing you don't miss or get burned.
  • Mega Gyarados is still a thing, but Steelix don't care. You have options here - whack the non-mega with an SE while it DDs, or safely 2HKOing the mega with EQ (although you have to get the liechi boost).
The Sets Of Steelix

long (Steelix) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Brave Nature / Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe (optional)
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball / Heavy Slam
- Filler
- Stone Edge

Ah, Liechi Steelix, how I love you. Let me explain this one. 252 def helps you comfortably deal with things like Lopunny-Mega, Gyarados-Mega and Kyurem-Black. Gyro Ball and the speed stuff is for things like Kyurem-B and other heavy mons you can't hit very hard with the slam. Alternatively, Heavy Slam is still an option for plenty of matchups. EdgeQuake hits most things you should struggle with e.g Mega Zard Y. This set is designed to move 2nd, so you can get your Liechi boost and nuke with whatever you require.

long (Steelix) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball / Heavy Slam
- Filler
- Stone Edge

Pretty similar, isn't it? Steelix basically has 1 principal, and that is sturdy nuking. Continental Crush is great against countless threats e.g Mega Zard, Mega Gyara, Kyurem, Salamence - you get the idea. Everything else hits your other problems! Pretty much...

The Issues Of Steelix

Just like any Pokemon, Steelix has its bad points. One thing it struggles with is other sturdy users - sure, it can resist most things Golem has to lob at is, but it still gets beaten often by a taste of its own medicine. Additionally, bulky water & ground types can effectively wall our long child, making it helpless to scaldburns etc. But hey, nothing good can ever have nothing bad about it.

Due to some of its shortcomings, I've suggested Steelix to be moved to C rank, however if you disagree let me know!

We all love sturdy, don't we? Well, I personally believe 1 long boy with this ability is criminally underrated in 1v1.

Steelix - Unranked -> C

The Benefits Of Steelix (over other alternatives)
  • Steel/Ground is an excellent defensive typing, with resistances to 8 different types - this gives you the option to play Steelix in plenty of different matchups.
  • Fire types are of course prominent in 1v1 due to how good other steels like Magearna are, and these fires such as Mega Zard Y often will give trouble to these pokemon. However, Steelix's combination of being able to live a hit with Sturdy and then dishing out either a Stone Edge or Earthquake can make it too hot to handle (see what I did there?).
  • Of course, the main reason to use Steelix is due to sturdy. A free sash in an ability? Count me in! Additionally, this allows Steelix to make good use of Liechi Berry and the unreleased Custap Berry.
The Matchups Of Steelix
  • I think many of us are sad to see Kyurem-Black be suspected as we've all known and loved that big black dragon here in 1v1. But in the circumstance that it doesn't receive a ban, Steelix is here for it by resisting it and 2HKOing with Stone Edge, or (frustratingly) just missing out on a KO with Continental Crush.
  • Fighting and fire types are what should be the "bane" of Steelix, although it doesn't always struggle with 'em. Mega Lopunny, after a fake out, is unable to knock out Steelix with a high jump kick (if you have some def or HP investment!). Additionally, the famous Mega Zard Y drops to a Stone Edge, providing you don't miss or get burned.
  • Mega Gyarados is still a thing, but Steelix don't care. You have options here - whack the non-mega with an SE while it DDs, or safely 2HKOing the mega with EQ (although you have to get the liechi boost).
The Sets Of Steelix

long (Steelix) @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Brave Nature / Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe (optional)
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball / Heavy Slam
- Filler
- Stone Edge

Ah, Liechi Steelix, how I love you. Let me explain this one. 252 def helps you comfortably deal with things like Lopunny-Mega, Gyarados-Mega and Kyurem-Black. Gyro Ball and the speed stuff is for things like Kyurem-B and other heavy mons you can't hit very hard with the slam. Alternatively, Heavy Slam is still an option for plenty of matchups. EdgeQuake hits most things you should struggle with e.g Mega Zard Y. This set is designed to move 2nd, so you can get your Liechi boost and nuke with whatever you require.

long (Steelix) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball / Heavy Slam
- Filler
- Stone Edge

Pretty similar, isn't it? Steelix basically has 1 principal, and that is sturdy nuking. Continental Crush is great against countless threats e.g Mega Zard, Mega Gyara, Kyurem, Salamence - you get the idea. Everything else hits your other problems! Pretty much...

The Issues Of Steelix

Just like any Pokemon, Steelix has its bad points. One thing it struggles with is other sturdy users - sure, it can resist most things Golem has to lob at is, but it still gets beaten often by a taste of its own medicine. Additionally, bulky water & ground types can effectively wall our long child, making it helpless to scaldburns etc. But hey, nothing good can ever have nothing bad about it.

Due to some of its shortcomings, I've suggested Steelix to be moved to C rank, however if you disagree let me know!
Okay, buckle up, you gotta a really long post to stick to your cigar and smoke....

1) Let's start with bae

Buzzwole: B- -> B

It has a huge physical bulk stat, and a good range of moveset to compliment it. It might appear to have weak special bulk, but throw in an assault vest, and it has terrifying bulk now. This means that it can viably run FightiniumZ/ Choice Scarf/ Choice Band / Assault Vest. I mention AssVest, because this set is able to tank common special 1v1 threats like P-Z Hyper Beam, Tapu Koko Z-Thunder and Aegislash-Blade Z-ShadowBall.
The other items are pretty obvious in its usage, and so I nominate Buzzwole to B.

Set:
Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Leech Life / Lunge
- Stone Edge / Thunder Punch/ Ice Punch
- Earthquake

1) 252+ SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 350-414 (83.7 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2) 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 352-416 (84.2 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

3) 252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole in Electric Terrain: 348-411 (83.2 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4) 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 306-360 (73.2 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2) Now, for my second bae

Nihilego: C- -> B-

Nihilego has nice niche as Charizard killer because of its speed tier. It also can be a semi-bulky set up killer, with Acid Spray being the set up before the killer moves. Its special bulk means it can also tank moves like Tapu Koko Z-Thunder. It can be bulked to withstand some common physical threats like CharX Outrage( This is mentioned because it is a strong STAB coupled with Tough Claws, even though Nihilego already outspeeds it). This means that it can be either a fast specs, fast Z Move user, a semi-bulky Z Move user or a semi-bulky specs. Having said this, it just can't tank strong physical STABs like GyaradosM Waterfall!! So, I nominate Nihilego for B-

3) Golem: B+ -> A-

Donphan and Golem are a lot similar in many ways, but it is incorrect that Golem is ranked below Donphan!! Golem is screaming "Apart from not learning a priority move relying on opponents attacking me, what fault did I do? " And you gotta answer to those cries.... It is weak to some more physical Pokemon than Donphan, like MetagrossM which helps in pressing counter against them, coz they'll deal much more damage being SE. Its sucker punch is not that bad, helping it net the KO against mons like Genesect after Z-EQ/Z-StoneEdge, which Donphan can't, because Genesect can be bulked to withstand Ice Shard but not Sucker Punch. It can also kill Dragonite with ZStone Edge+SuckerPunch/Stone Edge or Counter, which I suppose Donphan will have some difficulty achieving.

4) Tapu Bulu: Unranked -> C

The only missing factor about Tapu Bulu is its serious lack of a physical Fairy-STAB move. Its typing allows it to totally beat non-FlyZ gyarados. It can viably run a bulk up set, a Grassy SubSeed set, a Band set with Wood Hammer/Megahorn/Superpower/StoneEdge, and (unless I'm much mistaken) a Choice Scarf set. It gets Leech Seed, which means its match up against Aegislash and Sturdies is not a goner( Coz Aegislash can just kill by ZMove and Sturdies can click Counter ) Overall, its non-presence in the VR is unfair and I nominate it for C.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Mega Pinsir: A ---> B+ or B

I seriously do not understand why this mon is ranked the way it is. Just take one look at the A/S tiers on the VR, and then look at Pinsir, and you'll quickly realize that it loses to way too much to be A. Pretty much any Pokemon remotely bulky enough can take care of it. For a supposed A rank threat, it's stunning how few people I see use this thing, and I think there's a good reason for it: It just isn't that good. Again, look at the VR. The only things in A that it beats are Zard Y, Mega Venusaur and maybe Zard X (Though I'm not sure how it faires against Bulky). It's decent, sure, but I fail to see what makes it A rank. Aerilate Giga Impact is just about the only thing about Mega Pinsir that stands out. Hell, I honestly wanna rank it lower than this (I'm talking B- or maybe even C+), but I feel like that's too extreme of a drop. Maybe I've seen so little of it to the point where I'm sleeping on it. But nonetheless, I do not consider it A in any circumstance.

Landon

im in that tonka

Tapu Bulu: Unranked -> C, C+, B-

Sample sets:

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Bulk Up/Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Bulk Up/Swords Dance
- Leech Seed
- Superpower

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Horn Leech

Tapu Bulu @ Grassy Seed
Bashful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
(Specially bulky can beat things like Aegislash.)

Pokemon Bulu can beat on VR: koko, lele, fini, zard y, pinsir-m, mimikyu, primiarina, gyara-m, lopunny-m, donphan, golem, lando-t, slowbro, snorlax, garchomp(no pjab), greninja, meloetta, chansey, porygon-z, magnezone, blastoise-m, ferrothorn, jumpluff, sawk(no pjab), swampert-m, ttar-m, blissey, terrakion, archeops, hoopa-u & n, keldeo, lando-i, medicham-m, sableye-m, thunudurs-t, latios, abomasnow-m, diance-m, whimsiscott, dusclops, lucario-m, hitmonlee, quagsire, relicanth, barbacle, camerupt-m, manectric-m, pyu, sceptile-m, zygarde, alakazam-m, azumarill, clefable, FEAR, porygon-2, necrozma, slaking, stunfisk, smeargle, vivillion.
Sorry for the long list, but that shows the capabilities Bulu has. Tapu Bulu, with those sets above, can beat over 60% of the VR. For these reasons I believe Bulu should be ranked C, C+, or even B-.

Last edited:
(Long-ish to read)

More Scizor discussion! (Sorry)

You mentioned Mega Gyarados and Tapu Koko as relevant pokemon that it's good against. However, it beats neither of these.
Tapu koko can be mixed so it's out of the question. Gyarados, on the other hand, I can still debate against.

Who in their right mind mega evolves their Gyarados vs Scizor?
Oh I can't tell you how much this happens. Even if they don't, just replace substitute with counter. Removing substitute lets Scizor lose to yawn snorlax, but win against Z-Donphan, Z-Sawk, Z-Lando-T, and I'll provide a replay to Gyarados here:
(I played with my alt RunWithTheScythers. The Gyarados doesn't mega evolve, and it has 252+ Attack)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-642940869

Non-Overheat Mew and RestoChesto Furfrou are irrelevant.
They don't matter anymore since substitute is gone and the Kee berry Mew carries fire a lot.

Another reason that it's ranked so low is that it is extraordinarily easy to cteam: Just slap HP Fire onto anything.
Wasting a slot for HP fire is, no offense, a rather dumb move. That one person, "I'm gonna beat that Scizor with fire!" The guy can literally send out a different mon. This is 1v1, but it's also 3v3.

I'm not done yet, there's one last thing, that I would have included in my post, but a suspect test happened..

Scizor-Mega beats Kyu-B

"HP fire HP fire" -not this time. Ok maybe low ladder, but absolutely NEVER where I was at.

Here is 5 different Kyu-B sets, from PokePaste, all beaten. I used my alt again:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-642946155 (Groundinium Z)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-642946876 (Icium Z)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-642947483 (Scarf)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-642948038 (Specs)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-642948477 (Weakness policy)

Swords Dance -> Bullet punch. That's it. Even the weakness policy set fails to KO Scizor after a boost.
Ironic; Kyu-B beats Magnezone, Heatran, Zards, Steelix w/ Groundinium Z, and the haban berry beats Garchomp, but it loses to Scizor..

There are some sets I did not include, but they are arbitrary to do so because they are same items but different EVs.

it's definitely usable, but is quite at home in D rank.
Ok maybe you're right. It may have some ugly match-ups, like quaqsire, 3 of 4 Tapu's, and Steelix, and some guaranteed losses against Infernape, Zards, Heatran, Pidgeot, Zapdos, Mew, etc, but in at least fair match-ups, unlike other D-ranks such as mega Zam, it can get its job done. I personally consider it "D+" since it can effortlessly OHKO Diancie, Rampardos, and Archeops; bug bites away Greninja, uses counter on sturdies + Lando, and could of been able to beat Kyu-B, had it not been removed during the suspect.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Objection.png
Scizor can be EV'd to take on Gyarados. The only thing it has to fear are Taunt and hax.

Turn 1
Gyarados doesn't Mega evolve and uses Dragon Dance || Scizor Mega evolves and uses Swords Dance
Turn 2
Gyarados attacks with either STAB move, preferably Waterfall
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Scizor-Mega: 139-165 (40.4 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
||
Scizor uses Bug Bite
+1 100+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 148-174 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Turn 3
Gyarados attacks again, having to choose between either Mega evolving to avoid being 2HKO'd, or Mega evolving to hopefully get the 2HKO on Scizor
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Scizor-Mega: 163-193 (47.3 - 56.1%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO
||
Scizor uses Bug Bite again
Turn 4
Scizor swoops in for the KO with Bullet Punch
+1 100+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 99-117 (25.1 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 100+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 76-90 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO

Conclusion
Discounting the chances of haxing Scizor with Waterfall, Gyarados has little chance of consistently beating Scizor without using Taunt. Factoring in the hax chances brings this relationship closer to a 50/50.

Scizor can be EV'd to take on Gyarados. The only thing it has to fear are Taunt and hax.

Turn 1
Gyarados doesn't Mega evolve and uses Dragon Dance || Scizor Mega evolves and uses Swords Dance
Turn 2
Gyarados attacks with either STAB move, preferably Waterfall
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Scizor-Mega: 139-165 (40.4 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
||
Scizor uses Bug Bite
+1 100+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 148-174 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Turn 3
Gyarados attacks again, having to choose between either Mega evolving to avoid being 2HKO'd, or Mega evolving to hopefully get the 2HKO on Scizor
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Scizor-Mega: 163-193 (47.3 - 56.1%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO
||
Scizor uses Bug Bite again
Turn 4
Scizor swoops in for the KO with Bullet Punch
+1 100+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 99-117 (25.1 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 100+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 76-90 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO

Conclusion
Discounting the chances of haxing Scizor with Waterfall, Gyarados has little chance of consistently beating Scizor without using Taunt. Factoring in the hax chances brings this relationship closer to a 50/50.
Scizor can also not mega evolve and use counter (2HKO'ed by waterfall if hes not mega) which OHKOs gyara. However, like you said, waterfall can hax, and sadly, happens more often than not (Simulator quirk, lets hypnosis and sleep powder hit often too)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's now or never.

I would like to preface this by saying that Mega Latias should be ranked in C- or C. The CM + Roost + Charm/Draco Meteor + Stored Power set puts in work V.S. quite a few prominent threats due to huge bulk and solid speed tier. But to be frank, the only reason I'm making THIS nomination is so I can use it to support my main nomination:

image.jpg

Musharna: Unranked ---> C-

Oh, Musharna, you sleepy little beast. What started out as a stupid joke as a result of playing a bit too much PU rapidly escalated into one of my favorite mons in 1v1, turning me from a mid/high 1400s player into a high 1500s/low 1600s player.

Now, one of the most bloody awful things I have ever heard someone say is that Musharna is a worse Mega Latias. Quite frankly, whoever says this deserves to be shot in the face is not a good player. Musharna's niche lies in the ability to defeat a select few threats that Mega Latias struggles against, as in, NOT JUST KYUREM-BLACK.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-kyurem-black-suspect-test.3587523/page-32#post-7518753 <--- The set I am using for all these calcs.

Mega Charizard X

Latias Match-Up
If Draco Meteor:
252 SpA Latias-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard: 255-301 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (MAX Special Attack V.S. NO BULK Zard X. This will never happen unless you're bottom of ladder.) (Here, Zard just DDances afterwards and wins.)

If Charm, Zard X two-shots at -1 after DDance.

Musharna Match-Up:
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 240 HP / 200+ Def Musharna: 214-253 (49.4 - 58.4%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

From here, just click Barrier a few times, click Calm Mind and win.

Mega Mawile

Mega Latias Match-Up:
-2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 236-282 (64.8 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Musharna:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 240 HP / 200+ Def Musharna: 234-276 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Again, click Barrier a few times (Aguav Berry will heal you), click Calm Mind, K.O.

Magearna (You think this is a joke, don't you, punk?)

Mega Latias:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Musharna:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Musharna: 364-430 (83.4 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Seeing as you are in range of Aguav now, keep Calm Minding up. If the foe Flash Cannons, you tank another one after CM.

That's right, fuckers. This lowly little PU runt beats a top-tier OU killer 1v1. Be very afraid.

And as for Twinkle Tackle... Twinkle Tackle in 2017? kek

Snorlax
will get a replay at some point

tl;dr Musharna is good, rank it or your a bitch gay

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
It's now or never.

I would like to preface this by saying that Mega Latias should be ranked in C- or C. The CM + Roost + Charm/Draco Meteor + Stored Power set puts in work V.S. quite a few prominent threats due to huge bulk and solid speed tier. But to be frank, the only reason I'm making THIS nomination is so I can use it to support my main nomination:

View attachment 89534

Oh, Musharna, you sleepy little beast. What started out as a stupid joke as a result of playing a bit too much PU rapidly escalated into one of my favorite mons in 1v1, turning me from a mid/high 1400s player into a high 1500s/low 1600s player.

Now, one of the most bloody awful things I have ever heard someone say is that Musharna is a worse Mega Latias. Quite frankly, whoever says this deserves to be shot in the face is not a good player. Musharna's niche lies in the ability to defeat a select few threats that Mega Latias struggles against, as in, NOT JUST KYUREM-BLACK.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-kyurem-black-suspect-test.3587523/page-32#post-7518753 <--- The set I am using for all these calcs.

Mega Charizard X

Latias Match-Up
If Draco Meteor:
252 SpA Latias-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard: 255-301 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (MAX Special Attack V.S. NO BULK Zard X. This will never happen unless you're bottom of ladder.) (Here, Zard just DDances afterwards and wins.)

Musharna Match-Up:
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 240 HP / 200+ Def Musharna: 214-253 (49.4 - 58.4%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Mawile

Mega Latias Match-Up:
-2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 236-282 (64.8 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Musharna:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 240 HP / 200+ Def Musharna: 234-276 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Again, click Barrier a few times (Aguav Berry will heal you), click Calm Mind, K.O.

Mega Latias:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Musharna:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Musharna: 364-430 (83.4 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Seeing as you are in range of Aguav now, keep Calm Minding up. If the foe Flash Cannons, you tank another one after CM.

That's right, fuckers. This lowly little PU runt beats a top-tier OU killer 1v1. Be very afraid.

Snorlax

I would legitimately like to second this. A little bit of optimization on your set... You used 252 HP / 200+ Def / 40 SpA / 16 Spe Just add the SpA to Def, honestly more useful. "Ability: Forewarn" Umm, no. Use Synchronize and you can actually beat stuff like Chansey and other random stuff that relies on Toxic to win without using Rest (use Moonlight, not Rest).

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I would legitimately like to second this. A little bit of optimization on your set... You used 252 HP / 200+ Def / 40 SpA / 16 Spe Just add the SpA to Def, honestly more useful. "Ability: Forewarn" Umm, no. Use Synchronize and you can actually beat stuff like Chansey and other random stuff that relies on Toxic to win without using Rest (use Moonlight, not Rest).
Actually, Musharna still beats Chansey even without Synchronize. I don't have the replay, so oops. Forewarn can sometimes be helpful for scouting out sets. But yeah, will consider replacing.

EDIT: Looking back, the Chansey I fought was dumb and didn't realize Charm reduced Stored Power until it was too late. Yeah, Synchronize is better.

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Actually, Musharna still beats Chansey even without Synchronize. I don't have the replay, so oops. Forewarn can sometimes be helpful for scouting out sets. But yeah, will consider replacing.
Chansey: Toxic
Musharna: Calm Mind
(100%, 93.75%)
Chansey: Seismic Toss
(100%, 58.35%)
(100%, 16.7%->66.7%)
Musharna: Moonlight
(100%, 68.8%)
Musharna: Stored Power
(~60%,0%)

(100%, 93.75%)
Chansey: Whatever
(100%, 81.25%)
(100%, 62.5%)
(100%, 37.5%)
(100%, 5.25%->55.25%)
(25%, 16.5%)
Chansey: Soft-Boiled
(0%, 16.5%)

(93.75%, 93.75%)
(81.25%, 58.35%)
(62.5%, 16.7%->56.7%)
(0%, 33.8%)

(~36%, 31.7%)
OR
(__________________
(~54%, 26.55%)
OR
(~23%, 0%)
OR
(~62%, 38.3%)
[50/50s]
OR
(~23%, 21.4%)
(~23%, 0%)
_________________)
OR
(~54%, 49.45%)
[50/50s]

Synchronize vs No Seismic Toss: Obv win

Yes, it can beat Chansey without Synchronize... non-Seismic Toss variants at least. It loses to Stoss every time. With Synchronize, you can outpredict Chansey at the very least.

It's now or never.

View attachment 89534

Mega Charizard X

Latias Match-Up
If Draco Meteor:

Musharna Match-Up:

Mega Mawile

Mega Latias Match-Up:

Musharna:

Mega Latias:
Musharna:

Snorlax

I love how you ignore Swords Dance Mawile-Mega and Fast Adamant Charizard-Mega-X
I will definitely mention things Latias-Mega beats that Musharna doesn't, but that's for later.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I love how you ignore Swords Dance Mawile-Mega and Fast Adamant Charizard-Mega-X
I will definitely mention things Latias-Mega beats that Musharna doesn't, but that's for later.
Oh shoot, SD Mawile. Fric

Adamant Fast Zard? kek. Besides, pretty sure Musharna wins anyway via Barrier Spam + Stored Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)