Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This was supposed to be done by Ludi but I assume he was too busy or forgotten.
Anywho, this is the General Discussion Thread for Pet Mods!

Think of this thread as Simple Questions and Answers, Metagame Workshop, Suggestions to Improve OMs and general lobby to discuss Pet Mod stuff all rolled into one.

If you have a Pet Mod idea but are not sure how well received it will be, POST IT HERE!

If you have a generalized question regarding Pet Mods on a whole, POST IT HERE!

Have an idea on how to improve how Pet Mods work and such, perish beneath the feet of the Pet Mod Overlord and never object to my will, POST IT HERE!

If you just wanna introduce yourself to the community, I think you get the picture.

Any inquiries can be directed to Ludicrousity or I, co-leaders of Pet Mods.

Remember, all general Global Smogon rules apply in this thread as any other, and Ludi and I are perfectly capable of moderating shitposts.

Enjoy!

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I've been thinking about making a Pet Mod for a while now, but I'm not creative, so this is the best I could come up with. I've noticed quite a few things that may be problems with this, so this probably will suck but w/e

Last Mons Standing

The main idea of this Pet Mod is that it will be a metagame with only 25 Pokemon in it, but since there are so few in it, it will make it very easy to balance. This will be done by changing movepools, abilities, and base stats, but not adding signature moves, adding signature abilities, or changing typing.

To decide which Pokemon will be in, we will have a vote for it. Users will submit up to four Pokemon per round that they think have an interesting concept (like with competitive use, with Mew's being a "jack of all trades, master of none.") There will then be a voting phase and the Pokemon with the most votes will be added in. This changes a little bit when we have 20, since the last 5 Pokemon will be for which Pokemon people think will balance the metagame the most (like if there's a metagame with 3 Fire Pokemon, maybe adding a Water and a Ground Pokemon, for example). After that, we'll find the average of all Pokemons' tiers and try to balance them to fit into that tier, with untiered NFEs/LCs counting as PU.

As for questions...
- Would there be a better name for this?
- Is the method for choosing Pokemon too complicated or too much?
- Would it be better to just get 25 random Pokemon, get 20 random Pokemon and 5 Pokemon to balance it, divide the 25 slots among different people and have everyone choose a certain number, or something else?
- Is the rule that you can only change movepools, abilities, and base stats too restricting for a Pet Mod?
- Anyone have any opinions other than this, or are there any other problems I haven't noticed?​

I've been thinking about making a Pet Mod for a while now, but I'm not creative, so this is the best I could come up with. I've noticed quite a few things that may be problems with this, so this probably will suck but w/e

Last Mons Standing

The main idea of this Pet Mod is that it will be a metagame with only 25 Pokemon in it, but since there are so few in it, it will make it very easy to balance. This will be done by changing movepools, abilities, and base stats, but not adding signature moves, adding signature abilities, or changing typing.

To decide which Pokemon will be in, we will have a vote for it. Users will submit up to four Pokemon per round that they think have an interesting concept (like with competitive use, with Mew's being a "jack of all trades, master of none.") There will then be a voting phase and the Pokemon with the most votes will be added in. This changes a little bit when we have 20, since the last 5 Pokemon will be for which Pokemon people think will balance the metagame the most (like if there's a metagame with 3 Fire Pokemon, maybe adding a Water and a Ground Pokemon, for example). After that, we'll find the average of all Pokemons' tiers and try to balance them to fit into that tier, with untiered NFEs/LCs counting as PU.

As for questions...
- Would it be better to just get 25 random Pokemon, get 20 random Pokemon and 5 Pokemon to balance it, divide the 25 slots among different people and have everyone choose a certain number, or something else?
- Is the rule that you can only change movepools, abilities, and base stats too restricting for a Pet Mod?
- Anyone have any opinions other than this, or are there any other problems I haven't noticed?​
So the point of this would be to create a mini metagame with the focus on competitive balance? I personally don’t think the name fits too well though, since it seems you’re building the mini metagame almost from scratch rather than removing them from an already existing metagame as the title more closely implies. I think this could be very interesting, as we could mix up certain ‘Mons together that normally would never face one another because differences between their tiers and overall viability, which would be modified later so they could actually work. Most of the other Pet Mods tend to focus on making a Pokemon as good as possible without breaking them (that is, trying to fit them into OU) but this one could force us to be a little more creative if someone wanted to bring a ‘Mon from a higher tier and balancing them with ‘Mons from lower tiers. I think this sounds neat ;)
Also, sorry if I sound like a total nerd or something >_<

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Last Mons Standing

As for questions...
You could make the name "Chosen Ones" or something like that

Really cool concept, you have my full support!

Last Mons Standing

As for questions...
Why would you strictly have to balance everything to fit in the average of their tiers? Nothing else from the "average tier" will be in, so what level of power the mod is at is arbitrary.

Also, type changes should be allowed, to minimize the risk of a 'mon being selected for being the closest thing to a concept with a certain typing in place of a 'mon with that concept already.

Great concept, though, mostly just nitpicking.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
How do I have the same amount of likes as the first post? Thanks for the support and feedback! Thinking I'm probably going to implement all of the changes suggested, since I don't see a problem with or like all of them, and I'll probably submit it later. The name "Chosen Ones" is like perfect, so that's a huge upgrade from having no idea what to name it. I was thinking that the "average tier" thing would make it so we'd have the same amount of buffs as nerfs, but I noticed there's really no point to that. And I don't think a typing fits a concept unless it's to be an antimeta threat, which I could allow.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I'm new to the community of pet mods (which I found extremely interestings and fun) but I have a really big question about it? Where can we play to pet mods? Is there any pet mods room I didn't heard of? Do we need to code custom games? I would really appreciate to know, so... thank you in advance!

P.S.

Last Mons Standing

As for questions...
This seems awsome. I can't wait to post submissions!

I'm new to the community of pet mods (which I found extremely interestings and fun) but I have a really big question about it? Where can we play to pet mods? Is there any pet mods room I didn't heard of? Do we need to code custom games? I would really appreciate to know, so... thank you in advance!
Hey there! Welcome to Pet Mods :)

In the main server of Pokémon Showdown there are actually no Pet Mods. This is due to the lack of playerbase activity that Pet Mods get, however, many servers like R.O.M., Dragon Heaven, and Nexus support the Pet Mods, so just take a look at the OP (Original Post) of a Pet Mod and there should be a link to a server where the Pet Mod is playable. As for the rooms, as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as rooms for Pet Mods in PS!'s main server, but you can definitely talk about Pet Mods in rooms from the aforementioned servers, you can also join the Discord of some Pet Mods to specifically discuss them. As for coding, the games aren't played in Custom Game, as generally they involve new moves, abilities, items, Pokémon, or whatever, so you'll have go to one of the servers to actually play it.

Here's the link to the servers I mentioned. Have fun :)

Random Other Metagames
Dragon Heaven
Nexus

I have some pet mod idea which is a rough idea and posted in the workshop, but I feel like I could get input here so...

Flavorful Changes
(looking for a better name)

Welcome to this pet mod. Here Pokémon get changes (with no real intent to buff or Nerf them) which attempt to stay as true to the original Mon they can. So

The typing may not be changed unless very high flavorful reasoning is provided. (The amount if flavor required is less if single-typed.)
The amount of Abilities can't be changed at all, but an ability can be changed provided you give flavorful reasoning.
The stats should have a very similar stat line to the original Mon, and the max BST is 570. (So Venusaur should be a specially oriented special attacker, Charizard should be a speedy special attacker, and Blastoise should be a mixed wall)
And finally the movepool, give flavorful reasoning and you may add some moves. You may add up to 5 new moves.

In order for a mon to be good, there are 4 things it needs in order to become good (well, it only needs three of them) which are typing, stats, abilities, and movepool. These are the 4 main points of the changes one Mon can have. These rules are like this in order to stay as true to the original Mon as possible, with some room to have creativity. Megas will be completely gone from this meta.

any and all Suggestions will be appreciated, such as

Is this pet mod too similar to the other three metas involving Mon changes?

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I have had an idea for a Pet Mod for a while but I'm not sure if it's a good one, so I'll post it here

---
Weather Research Lab

The main idea of this pet mod is create weathers for each type (or at least as much types as possible) and buffing the existent ones (excepting rain because it's a very viable archetype) making each of the weathers viable and different way to function and being useful (in the case of rain, it works taking advantage of powerful cleaners/sweepers with Swift Swim)

I'd separate this mod in two parts: Actual weather buffing and weather creation

Each one starts in the same way: First we'd decide via voting the new effect of existing/new weathers and then we'd decide how to exploit it which would include creating or modifying items, abilities or moves to improve the weather and then putting it to Pokemon to make this weather viable.

---

I'm not sure if the idea sounds complex or anyting so I wanted to share it here before... Ohh and...
I have some pet mod idea which is a rough idea and posted in the workshop, but I feel like I could get input here so...

Flavorful Changes

Welcome to this pet mod. Here Pokémon get changes (with no real intent to buff or Nerf them) which attempt to stay as true to the original Mon they can. So

The typing may not be changed unless very high flavorful reasoning is provided. (The amount if flavor required is less if single-typed.)
The amount of Abilities can't be changed at all, but an ability can be changed provided you give flavorful reasoning.
The stats should have a very similar stat line to the original Mon, and the max BST is 570.
(So Venusaur should be a specially oriented special attacker, Charizard should be a speedy special attacker, and Blastoise should be a mixed wall)
And finally the movepool, give flavorful reasoning and you may add some moves. You may add up to 5 new moves.

In order for a mon to be good, there are 4 things it needs in order to become good (well, it only needs three of them) which are typing, stats, abilities, and movepool. These are the 4 main points of the changes one Mon can have. These rules are like this in order to stay as true to the original Mon as possible, with some room to have creativity. Megas will be completely gone from this meta.

It's just a bit similar to Logicmons which is dead now, but yours is more elaborated, I like it

Last edited:
Hey guys, can I get some more input here, like what needs to be changed or if it's fine the way it is?

Flavorful Changes

The stats should have a very similar stat line to the original Mon, and the max BST is 570.
(So Venusaur should be a specially oriented special attacker, Charizard should be a speedy special attacker, and Blastoise should be a mixed wall)

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Hey guys, can I get some more input here, like what needs to be changed or if it's fine the way it is?
I personally don't exactly see a point in it- Is it just changing for the sake of changing? To make it "Better"? To make it more true to the Pokemon (which doesn't really make sense as we are editing that Pokemon in question)

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I personally don't exactly see a point in it- Is it just changing for the sake of changing? To make it "Better"? To make it more true to the Pokemon (which doesn't really make sense as we are editing that Pokemon in question)
I agree with Earlio, at least imo the idea would be to buff them using flavor based changes, not just changing them for the sake of changing them. And maybe that's just me but sometimes stats distribution is not too related with the Pokemon if you think about flavor (for example Arcanine dex description compared with its underwhelming speed stat) so I'd say to be a bit more flexible with this rule.

Last edited:
I agree with Earlio, at least imo the idea would be to buff them using flavor based changes, not just changing them for the sake of changing them. And maybe that's just me but sometimes stats distribution is not too related with the Pokemon if you think about flavor (for example Arcanine dex description compared with its underwhelming speed stat) so I'd say to be a bit more flexible with this rule.
Just responding to that example, I've always seen the "Speed" stat as reaction/battle speed, not as travel speed. E.X. Vikavolt has low Speed, because while it flies fast, it's a railgun and needs to set up shots for a bit. But that's a nitpick I just needed to get off my chest, good points otherwise.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Hey guys, some time ago I made a Pet Mod where I combined elements of Fire Emblem into Pokemon. Sadly it didn't have the life span I wished it had. But, I recently posted in the submissions forum a revision of the old Pet Mod. I probably should've put it here first to see the community input, but whatever lol. I'd love to see your thoughts on it, so I copied and pasted the submission text. Cheers!

Heyo, if you didn't know, I had a Pet Mod named PokeEmblem, where elements from Fire Emblem were merged into Pokemon battling. Sadly, combined with balancing issues and no time for me to balance such things, it didn't work out as planned. But, I've decided to revisit it, except I'm taking a different approach on it; I'm going to be basing it upon the mobile spinoff, Fire Emblem Heroes, more than the actual mainline games.
So, what's changing?

Firstly, teams will still have six Pokemon, however only four will be taken like VCG. The order in which you put them also is important, but I'll get to why in a bit. (The amount of Pokemon allowed to be taken is subjected to change.)

Next, all Pokemon will have their regular abilities replaced by three skill, with little restriction to what you can put. The three skills fall into three categories: A, B, and C.
-An A Skill affects the user only. This could add additional effects or characteristics to the user, or it could just simply buff the users stats.
-A B Skill affects how the dynamics of the battle between the user and and opponent. The effects are varied.
-A C Skill can affect the Pokemon on your team or the Pokemon on your opponent's team. Buffs to your Pokemon are applied to the Pokemon next to the Pokemon with the skill, i.e. if Pokemon A has a skill that buffs stats and is between Pokemon B and C, Pokemon B and C will get the buff, but Pokemon A will not. Debuffs to the opponent are usually applied before a turn begins, i.e. if Pokemon A is being used by you and has a debuff skill against Pokemon B of the opponent, the debuff is applied to Pokemon B, then the turn begins.

Along with the three skills a Pokemon has, the Pokemon is also given a Special, Specials usually boost attack damage based on certain criteria, but some can also reduce damage taken as well. They act on a cooldown number, and each time you are attacked or are being attacked. Cooldown does not reduce on its own nor do status moves reduce it either. For example, Pokemon A has a 3 cooldown Special. Pokemon B attacks Pokemon A, thus reducing cooldown to 2. Pokemon A attacks Pokemon B, now reducing it to 1. Pokemon B attacks Pokemon A again, making the cooldown reach 0. Pokemon A attacks Pokemon B, activating its Special (that is, if it's an offensive Special. Defensive Specials activate when the Special is completely charged up and the Pokemon that has it is attacked).

Regarding actual items, like Leftovers and Life Orb, I may ban the use of some, if not all, of them, as it may conflict with the skills and it may allow every Pokemon to be a supernuke. I'm not too sure about Mega Pokemon, either.

Something I do want to experiment on is a secondary effect on a Pokemon's move in the first slot. For it to work, though, the moves can't be status moves. The secondary could be a skill (possibly weaker than an actual one) or even an actual Pokemon ability. Again, this isn't something high on the priority list for this, the skills and specials are.

To make things a bit clearer, here's a moveset that could be in such a Pet Mod (things not decided to be put in are italicized):
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
A: Distant Defense/ B: Guard/ C: Threaten Attack
Speical: Bonfire
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Slaying Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Breakdown:
Greninja has three skills, each doing a different effect on itself or on its opponent. The effects would mirror what it does in Fire Emblem Heroes.
-Its A Skill, Distant Defense, reduces damage of ranged attacks (in this case, moves that don't make contact).
-Its B Skill, Guard, makes it so when it attacks the opponent, the opponent's Special cooldown will not lower, as long as it's above a certain HP threshold.
-Its C Skill, Threaten Attack, makes it so before a turn begins, its opponent's Attack is lowered. This is reset once the opponent switches out.

Greninja's Special, Bonfire, is a 3 cooldown Special which increases damage based on some its Defense (compared to its older brother, Ingis, which is a 4 cooldown Special which increases damage based on the majority of its Defense. Usually, larger cooldown=more powerful).

The title of Slaying on Hydro Pump makes it so the cooldown on Specials is reduced by one. In this case, Bonfire will have a cooldown of 2. Hydro Pump might have to be decreased in power, though. Personally I think it'll be a cool addition to this, but I'll need an input on it first (and the actual Pet Mod :P).

Everything else is the same: Nature, EV's, IV's, and items(?).

Here are some links to get an idea on skills, Specials, and other things that may be mirrored to this Pet Mod:
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Weapons
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Passives
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Specials

Thank you for reading all this, I hope to see your input on it!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Guys, general question. What are your thoughts on metachanging Pet Mods? Instead of it being some slate based community project, its on of those "change alot of stuff from the get go and see how it turns out" type of stuff. They generally fall along the remake in my own image thing. I wanted to see y'all thoughts.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Guys, general question. What are your thoughts on metachanging Pet Mods? Instead of it being some slate based community project, its on of those "change alot of stuff from the get go and see how it turns out" type of stuff. They generally fall along the remake in my own image thing. I wanted to see y'all thoughts.
I wouldn't mind such a thing.
Only issue I see happening though is that because a Pet Mod like this where the community isn't involved in creating it, there would be less to discuss than a Pet Mod that's mostly determined by the community, which may result the Pet Mod dying as soon as the amount of things to discuss dries up. However these may not apply to those that have a very unique, interesting change, rather than a "every Pokemon is now viable" sort of thing (not bashing on those sort of Pet Mods, by the way).

I feel like a good example of this is Move Mastery. It was submitted a while back and had all the changes from the start. Discussion started out pretty strong with people (myself included) submitting sets, but then it died really quickly. I feel like if another of these came out, it would have to have a really big playerbase in order to survive.

I feel like a good example of this is Move Mastery. It was submitted a while back and had all the changes from the start. Discussion started out pretty strong with people (myself included) submitting sets, but then it died really quickly. I feel like if another of these came out, it would have to have a really big playerbase in order to survive.
or maybe have changes come actively rather than have them all at the start with no alterations?

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Everyone remembered Wonkymons? Its where Pokémon have randomized Abilities which greatly help or hinder them depended on the gotten Ability. Well, I already got one Pet Mod accepted, so anyone can adapt this idea if you liked it enough.

New WonkyMons
This Pet Mod is not about making every Pokémon viable. It is about more or less "resetting" every tiers by randomizing base stats (BST limit for non-legendary fully evolved will be 600, 720 for Legendaries) and Abilities for every Pokémon, while the typing, forms and learnset remained untouched (although ten new viable moves not Dark Void or Hyperspace Fury unless programmed to be able so with anyone would not hurt), and the randomized result will be permanent for each Pokémon. Hidden Abilities are considered as all released. Restrictions still applies, such as only giving Wonder Guard to only one Pokémon, and avoid giving clone Abilities to avoid redundancy.

We could have Seviper as a durable Physical Wall, or Tauros as a Special Sweeper, or even Wigglytuff as an Uber-level mixed sweeper, but we also have a risks like Dialga becoming slower and less powerful, Salamance becoming weaker and Mega-Salamance nowhere as threatening (but at least potentially unbanned) and worse cases like Claydol and Vikavolt than they were already not viable enough for OU.

Such a thing does exists before, trust me, albeit only applies to the Abilities. Check out the XY version. --> http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/wonkymons-xy.3517125/

Unfortunately, it got dropped does to recent lack of interest. But since this new version will more or less be about resetting the whole Metagame, there will be plenty of time of playtesting to see how each and every Pokémon would suit best at which roles.

Questions:
  • Should the typing also be randomized, or left it untouched to avoid confusions?
  • Does to the nature of randomization before the finished product, would it be better to keep the same amount of "tiers" like the official tiers, or just divide into fewer tiers to make it simpler, and have one Uber-like tier in case of any banlist of the "OU" tier?
  • Should Megas' new stat gain be also randomized, or should the stat gains be the same like the original gameplay?
EDIT: I am very grateful with the nine likes so far. Since the Pokémon themselves are going to be completely randomized outside of their type and learnset, it will make a whole new metagame like we have never seen before.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I don't know if it have been done before, but does a pet mods giving alternate stats/typing/other things based on shinies could be interesting? It's an easy way to define altenate forms, and it could be intresting to see pokemons with completly different uses.

Im really sorry for taking so long to replying to input but...
The points were a issue in my other ideas too. The thing was that I thought if it involves buffing, its too similar to Optimons, and if it involves nerfing, then it's too similar to Nerfmons. I have gotten a bit better with that though, so I will say the mod will involve buffing them with these changes.
Or better yet, just have people only rearrange the stats, only with a no more than +/-20 to a stat rule.
Just responding to that example, I've always seen the "Speed" stat as reaction/battle speed, not as travel speed. E.X. Vikavolt has low Speed, because while it flies fast, it's a railgun and needs to set up shots for a bit. But that's a nitpick I just needed to get off my chest, good points otherwise.
This is a cool point. I'll mention this if this ever becomes real.

I had an idea, but it's probably bad so I'll post it here:

EQUIPMONS

The concept is simple: like in many RPGs, your characters can "wear" equipment that affects the entire team. Like a ring that boosts the power of physical non-contact moves, a cloak that blesses all your 'mons with lefties, etc. This will be done through nicknames and positions in the list.

Pokemon one: it will make you wear a ring.
Pokemon two: it will make you wear shoes.

Pokemon three: it will make you wear glasses.
Pokemon four: it will make you wear a scarf.
Pokemon five: It will make you wear a cloak.
Pokemon six: it will make you wear a pin.

Questions:
-This is a stupid idea.
-Will the gadgets have a positive effect only or even a negative one?
-Why did I tried to create this shit?
-How many gadgets of each class should be allowed? 5? 10? 12986419238453824589?

Any and All Suggestions will be appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)