Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Hi! I've been seeing that some scarfed Pokémon at -1 Speed have +1/-1 speed from its base, why is that a thing? Thanks in advance :)
Ive never seen +1 speed in that situation, but as for -1, its because the numbers round down. So a pokemon with 394 speed in sticky webs would become 262.6 speed, but rounded down to 262. Then when the scarf multiplier is added, 262 x 1.5 is only 393, meaning you’d be one point slower.

Hi! I've been seeing that some scarfed Pokémon at -1 Speed have +1/-1 speed from its base, why is that a thing? Thanks in advance :)
Adding on to what was said before, take into account that, while the Choice Scarf is a +50% Speed boost, it´s not a "+1" boost. It does not cancel the -1 Speed.

Depending on rounding, a Pokemon that is at -1 Speed and then uses a move like Dragon Dance can be 1 point faster than the same Pokemon, at -1 Speed but with a Choice Scarf.

It can also apply to things like a burned Pokemon using Swords Dance or a Paralyzed Pokemon using Agility.

What's a spread for gliscor that outspeeds tran and lives play rough+sucker+rocks from mawile?
244 Hp / 152 Def / 112 Spe Jolly outspeeds Timid Tran by 1 point and lives Play Rough+Sucker+Rocks most of the time if Poison Heal is already active, otherwise you have to hope your opponents gets medium-to-low rolls.

EDIT: grammar.

Last edited:
Are there any sweepers/wallbreakers that are threatening to both HO and stall?

Essentially, I have room for one threat on my team and I'm not sure what gets the job done most. I don't run U-turn or Volt Switch on any Pokemon, so it'll usually have to come out after a kill or on a good prediction. My team is comprised of mostly special damage, so a physical breaker would be good, but I don't run a Cleric, so if it gets burned, it's useless.

I've been using Gengar as a sweeper, but he simply loses you the game against scarfers and can do nothing to Chansey.
Hoopa-U is very good against stall, but gets no free turns against HO.

Maybe something like Choice Band Zygarde? CB Thousand Arrows/Outrage threatens stall, whereas CB Extreme Speed does ~30% to a lot of HO sweepers. Still gets shit on by Blacephelon, but whatever.

Are there any sweepers/wallbreakers that are threatening to both HO and stall?

Essentially, I have room for one threat on my team and I'm not sure what gets the job done most. I don't run U-turn or Volt Switch on any Pokemon, so it'll usually have to come out after a kill or on a good prediction. My team is comprised of mostly special damage, so a physical breaker would be good, but I don't run a Cleric, so if it gets burned, it's useless.

I've been using Gengar as a sweeper, but he simply loses you the game against scarfers and can do nothing to Chansey.
Hoopa-U is very good against stall, but gets no free turns against HO.

Maybe something like Choice Band Zygarde? CB Thousand Arrows/Outrage threatens stall, whereas CB Extreme Speed does ~30% to a lot of HO sweepers. Still gets shit on by Blacephelon, but whatever.
Taunt Koko is super threatening to ho and can shut down stall. But even more is lele since it's faster than a lot of HO threats (scizor, mawile, adamant mimikyu, adamant zygarde, mega gyarados, landorus t, bisharp) and shuts down priority. Not to mention, lele is the bane of stall's existence. (also it can eat a hit from lopunny, greninja, tapu koko and ohko back)

Last edited:
Taunt Koko is super threatening to ho and can shut down stall. But even more is lele since it's faster than a lot of HO threats and shuts down priority. Not to mention, lele is the bane of stall's existence.
Lele is not faster than most sweeper-level threats, unfortunately, and it's not really bulky enough that its low speed would allow it to take a hit and attack back.

Read its team options section on its analysis. Id say that mons that struggle w steel types r some of the premier teammates
Why? Serperior struggles with steels too, pairing it with a mon that struggles with steels too doesnt sound like the best idea tbh

Why? Serperior struggles with steels too, pairing it with a mon that struggles with steels too doesnt sound like the best idea tbh
Serperior beats steel-types if it hits them up with leech seed on the switch, it can also freely boost on them behind a sub, which can end up in beating them thanks to hp fire (except for heatran, which gets beaten by seeds on the switch)

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a concept I like to call “overload cores” in which the combined pressure from Pokémon that share similar answers allows them to break past them. A good example of this besides serperior would be Mega Lopunny + Sand to break past Lando from last gen (not as good now imo).

I'm trying to build a team around OTR Stakataka, does anyone have any reccomendations in terms of breakers to complement it? Medicham comes to mind for threatening defensive Lando and Ferrothorn but is there anything else? Most Stak teams I make seem to be incredibly weak to Specs Koko because Stak sort of automatically puts a Pex and Lando on your team.

I'm trying to build a team around OTR Stakataka, does anyone have any reccomendations in terms of breakers to complement it? Medicham comes to mind for threatening defensive Lando and Ferrothorn but is there anything else? Most Stak teams I make seem to be incredibly weak to Specs Koko because Stak sort of automatically puts a Pex and Lando on your team.
Good partners for stak are gonna be things that share checks like Landorus and ferrothorn. Medicham like you said is good. Another good partner is dd zygarde to weaken share checks like Landorus and ferrothorn. Mawile is my strongest recommendation though since it can easily break the opponents team for stak to sweep.

If you’re weak to Specs Koko, add a bulky grass to your team. I would recommend ferrothorn since it forms a nice core with Landorus and ferrothorn. However, there are still other good options like AV bulu, tangrowth, amoonguss and venusaur.

If you want to make a dedicated trick room team, there are tons of powerful trick room breakers like Marowak, crawdaunt, Mawile, Magearna, camerupt, reuniclus, azumarill, Tapu Bulu and Mega Heracross. There are also good defensive setters in cresselia, polygon and uxie.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is power up punch still mandatory on Mega Lopunny?
I wouldn't call it mandatory but pup+encore or just pup is still good on mlop for pex clef and other fat mons. Fake Out double stabs Ice Punch is good too tho because it punishes bulky offenses that rely on Lando to check it and it can put a lot of work in the right scenarios thanks to its speed

I wouldn't call it mandatory but pup+encore or just pup is still good on mlop for pex clef and other fat mons. Fake Out double stabs Ice Punch is good too tho because it punishes bulky offenses that rely on Lando to check it and it can put a lot of work in the right scenarios thanks to its speed
If you’re super heat you run ice beam to avoid helmet damage from Landorus. With fake out dual stabs there are a few more unconventional moves you can run in the last slot like toxic, thunder wave, copycat, facade and healing wish

If you’re super heat you run ice beam to avoid helmet damage from Landorus. With fake out dual stabs there are a few more unconventional moves you can run in the last slot like toxic, thunder wave, copycat, facade and healing wish
Out of interest. What are you copycatting?

Gengar can wreck Chansey in a one one one setting. Taunt shuts down its recovery, and Chansey cannot touch it other than with T-Wave and it can set up rocks on Gengar as Gengar is immune to seismic toss and toxic. Just taunt Chansey then spam sludge wave/bomb (or focus miss if you'd rather) and repeat.

Is there anyway Torterra can function viably? Like a tank, because i really want to use him for nostalgia, but I can't find a way to succeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)