Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pikachu can't be in Little Cup, since Pichu is the first stage in the evolution line.
Also, I doubt the Z-Crystal factor matters much, first of all, 10 million volt Thunderbolt can only be used by the Hardy natured Cap Pikachu. And there's also the fact that Light Ball + a regular Volt Tackle gives more power than Catastropika (granted, Catastropika doesn't do recoil, but that hardly matters).
Oh, right. Is there a special battling format for the Middle Evo Pokemon?

Well Hardy is neutral so it's not like they gave it a Adamant or Jolly nature, it just doesn't pack as much of a punch had it a positive nature to increase Special Attack (though it would be in the same boat had someone gone for a positive Speed nature).

But yeah, I'm not saying Pikachu is good. I'm just saying there's reasons a player would at least try out Pikachu.

Well Hardy is neutral so it's not like they gave it a Adamant or Jolly nature, it just doesn't pack as much of a punch had it a positive nature to increase Special Attack (though it would be in the same boat had someone gone for a positive Speed nature).

But yeah, I'm not saying Pikachu is good. I'm just saying there's reasons a player would at least try out Pikachu.
There is an om, Middle Cup. However, light ball is banned there so Pikachu is essentially a worse Electabuzz.

Lol, I like how you tried to downplay the mascot of the entire franchise by referring to it as "Raichu's pre-evolution". Raichu appreciates it, but at the end of the day we're still talking about Pikachu.
Granted, Pikachu ain't no powerhouse and it's only "good" stat is Speed which base is 90 (everything else under 60). However, Gen VII did give it not one but two exclusive Z-Moves which is probably why it's even seeing some use if just out of curiosity sake. Normal Pikachu gets Catastropika which is 210 Power (315 after STAB) while Ash-Cap Pikachu gets 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt which may only be 195 Power but has a +2 chance to Critical Hit which, if it does crit, would be 438.75 Power (after STAB).
I guess there's also the Light Ball which doubles Pikachu Attack and Special Attack, which makes them go higher than Raichu's, but it's HP and defense stats are still low making it a really fragile glass canon. Though I guess this could let you play a mind game with the opponent, is your Pikachu packing an extra powerful Electric-type Z-Move or is it's offense stats doubled?
(Yes, I'm probably pulling at straws here, honestly Pikachu's place is in Little Cup, but there is some things about Pikachu which I can see would make some people want to try it out if just for the novelty of it).
Pikachu can't be in Little Cup, since Pichu is the first stage in the evolution line.
Also, I doubt the Z-Crystal factor matters much, first of all, 10 million volt Thunderbolt can only be used by the Hardy natured Cap Pikachu. And there's also the fact that Light Ball + a regular Volt Tackle gives more power than Catastropika (granted, Catastropika doesn't do recoil, but that hardly matters).

I don't think any of this answers my question. Viability has nothing to do with tiering; only usage does.
By the way, I can deliver a rant about why I hate that particular Pokemon, but I understand that an SQSA thread is not the best place to do that.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think any of this answers my question. Viability has nothing to do with tiering; only usage does.
By the way, I can deliver a rant about why I hate that particular Pokemon, but I understand that an SQSA thread is not the best place to do that.
Yeah, I was going to reply to this since no one actually addressed your main misunderstanding.

Why is the pre-evolution of Raichu listed as PU on the Smogon Strategy Dex despite not being fully evolved and not getting nearly enough usage to make the 3.41% cutoff?
PU is Smogon's lowest official tier. ZU, FU etc are not official. That means there is no 3.41% cutoff for PU; every Pokemon that isn't in a higher tier is PU.

Yeah, I was going to reply to this since no one actually addressed your main misunderstanding.

PU is Smogon's lowest official tier. ZU, FU etc are not official. That means there is no 3.41% cutoff for PU; every Pokemon that isn't in a higher tier is PU.
But that's not completely true. Other nfe pokemone which do not have the usage for any tier or aren't little cup (e.g. Bayleef, Poipole, Aipom) do not have any tier in the strategy dex. So sumwun is right: Pikachu is incorrectly listed as PU.

Moreover, usage in PU matters. Ferroseed is listed as PU since it has high enough usage for PU.

I thought this only applied to fully evolved Pokemon. If it doesn't, then why are Yanma and Boldore untiered?
Edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I removed Pikachu and a couple others from the PU list, NFEs indeed are only supposed to be listed as PU if they achieve greater than 3,41% usage. If an NFE is listed as PU but does not achieve this usage then that's probably just because it used to meet that threshold before and it was never fixed; it's not the most high-priority thing to keep track of because as others have pointed out it doesn't affect where people can use the Pokemon anyway (essentially only means "this Pokemon is somewhat common in PU too"), meaning things can slip through.

nevertheless this isn't the thread to be bringing up a Pokemon's tier placement, if a Pokemon has the wrong tier listed please bring that up in the small fixes thread linked in the OP.

Is there any way to get rid of the picture in my signature? Even if I delete everything from my signature it still appears.

Yeah so I got banned for some reason it said I had the same IP adress as someone else who got banned called Pokestar123 or something and since we were sitting near eachother it banned me to because his Ip location adress was the same
How can I let the server owners know this was a mistake?

Yeah so I got banned for some reason it said I had the same IP adress as someone else who got banned called Pokestar123 or something and since we were sitting near eachother it banned me to because his Ip location adress was the same
I'm pretty sure they won't help you because they hold you responsible for anything that happens on your IP address.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Your best bet would be to talk to a moderator (users marked with a @) in the Help room. Even if you're still locked, you could still talk to them, since they're global staff.

Also, in the PS rules, they say don’t complain about people on public WiFi, where most spam happens.
Still, ask a GMod.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi how do I get a voice account and how do I play in tournaments?
to join most tournaments you simply go to the signup thread on the forums and post "in" on the thread, tournaments based on ps alone just have you click the join button during its signup phase. if youre talking about getting voice smogtours, just pm a leader (&) online your smogon profile and get voiced that way (you have to have a month old smogon account i think), though if youre talking about ps main server though, getting voice requires you to be active across multiple rooms generally, and present yourself as a helpful user throughout the server, more info on getting voice on ps can be found here.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
to join most tournaments you simply go to the signup thread on the forums and post "in" on the thread, tournaments based on ps alone just have you click the join button during its signup phase. if youre talking about getting voice smogtours, just pm a leader (&) online your smogon profile and get voiced that way (you have to have a month old smogon account i think), though if youre talking about ps main server though, getting voice requires you to be active across multiple rooms generally, and present yourself as a helpful user throughout the server, more info on getting voice on ps can be found here.
Yeah, it is correct that your smogon account has to be at least a month old to get voice on smogtours. Also, remember to follow the directions on the "How to get voice" article, which is linked on the smogtours banner, Ricky._.tan .

If a player report system would be too complexe, reducing the amount of time allowed between plays and after disconnection would solve a cheating issue : too many players (almost half of those I fight) just disconnect before loosing or just stop playing and wait until the time runs off, hoping people wont stay to claim their victory. This kills the fun and may falses some rank. The insults can be ignored, but not 2min and a half of long waiting, killing your fun and the few minutes of free time you have and chose to spend on pokemon showdown. That sucks and discourage the more serious and advantages the kidos still under their mom's skirt. That's too bad and a shame for a such community and wonderful system. (sorry for mistakes, I'm francophone)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)