Online Competition Ultra Sinnoh Classic

Yeah, I think it makes sense to prep for the Physical side of things in this one.

On another note, how useful would SR be in this? Not a lot of x4 Rock weak 'mons to take advantage of, since 'Zard has no Megastone here.
. Its still useful for breaking sashes on the like of Infernape. Residual damage is always nice.

Hello everyone; what do you all think of this team for the tournament:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 HP, 220 Spe, 28 Def, 4 Atk, 4 SpD
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Roost
(I'm not quite sure on what Gliscor's second move should be, but anyway, the speed EVs are to outspeed Lucario while the rest of its EVs are dedicated to making it as defensive as possible)

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
Impish nature
EVs: 244 HP, 124 Def, 140 SpD
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost
(This team is a Volt-turn based team, and Scizor is my one set-up sweeper for the team. I'm not quite sold on it's EVS, but it's general moves should stay the same)

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
Bold nature
EVs: 252 HP, 164 Def, 92 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Thunderbolt
(Rotom-W fills some holes for the team, and hard counters some important threats like Scizor, Mamoswins, and Gyarados. The speed EVs are to outspeed max speed Adamant Scizor)

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Sassy nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
(Gastrodon is here, because otherwise my team could struggle against Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Gengar mainly)

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-Turn
(Infernape is my wall-breaker, and my second answer to Weavile if need be)

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sniper
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 220 Spe, 36 SpD
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
(the speed EVs are there to outspeed Lucario, and Drapion is here to counter the psychic types in this tier, since my team doesn't have the best odds against them otherwise)

I would appreciate any suggestions for this team. I feel as if this team isn't quite the best it could be...yet, so I would appreciate sugestions to make it better

Anyone willing to have a look at this team? I've been playing around with these mons on BS singles pretty much since the competition was announced with some success. Tl;dr: Gammoth sets up stealth rocks and sweeps with ground/ice STABs, Rotom W forms a volt-turn core with Scizor and is a good mon in general, Gyarados is a good sweeper with few viable checks that has great synergy with Mamoswine/Garchomp, and Tangrowth is there to check water types like Azumarill and Gastrodon. Garchomp/Scizor are just good physicall attackers in general, however I'm willing to drop Garchomp if there's a glaring hole/flaw in my team that I've missed thus far.

Gammoth (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Jumbo Shrimp (Gyarados) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Cephadrome (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Anyone willing to have a look at this team? I've been playing around with these mons on BS singles pretty much since the competition was announced with some success. Tl;dr: Gammoth sets up stealth rocks and sweeps with ground/ice STABs, Rotom W forms a volt-turn core with Scizor and is a good mon in general, Gyarados is a good sweeper with few viable checks that has great synergy with Mamoswine/Garchomp, and Tangrowth is there to check water types like Azumarill and Gastrodon. Garchomp/Scizor are just good physicall attackers in general, however I'm willing to drop Garchomp if there's a glaring hole/flaw in my team that I've missed thus far.

Gammoth (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Jumbo Shrimp (Gyarados) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Cephadrome (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
Hello MOistman; it looks like you have a good team here, but I did see a few things. I’m not sure how able you’ll be to change the things that I suggest (being that this is a cartridge team), but this is what I would do:

1. I would make Mamoswine have a Jolly nature, and have it have max speed and attack EVs instead of what you currently have. It does have a Sash, so it doesn’t necessarily need an investment in bulk. Also, having max speed will allow Mamoswine to outspeed or speed-tie Pokemon like Togekiss, other Mamoswine, Galkade, Gardevoir, Scizor, and Magnezone while possibly outspending Gyarados and Rotom forms.

2. It might be more helpful for Tangrowth to have hidden power ice over one of its grass moves to more reliably counter/check Gliscor and Garchomp. You can do this by having Tangrowth have max IVs bar speed (the speed IV would need to be 30, 28, 26, etc.) which isn’t too bad really.

3. I would replace Garchomp’s Iron Head with Poison Jab. This doesn’t change too much really, but it gives Garchomp a way to hit grass pokemon hard without having to use Outrage, and it still hits Togekiss hard as well. Your other option would be Fire fang to hit Bronzong hard, but honestly, that really isn’t the best idea out there.

4. Looking at your team as a whole, your team could struggle to deal with Porygon2 a little bit. There isn’t a easy way to fix this, as not many Pokemon can actually one shot Porygon2 (Scizor’s Superpower only does a max of 71.8% damage to a max HP/Defense EVed Bold Porygon2 for instance). Your team could also struggle against fast Pokemon in general, like Weavile and Alakazam, especially if Scizor is down. One possible suggestion would be to have a scarfed Infernape, as it can at least heavily damage a lot of the fast Pokemon in this tournament as well as have a very good chance of 2HKOing Porygon2. It can also use U-Turn, which goes along with some of your team concept.

I hope that I helped you at least somewhat here. Maybe since I rated your team...you can rate my team...?

Anyway, good luck in the tournament!

RR

Banned deucer.
The gen 4 games were my favourite of all time and I'm interested to see what people use

I'm planning on going back to my staple of GyaraVire :3

It gets a lot of heat on these forums but back then it was unstoppable for me on cartridges. I won 9 out of 10 games with this combo back in the serebii spp chat under smogon ou ruleset. This was like a decade ago now, though.

I used a bulky tauntdos lead that was perfect for all the ambipoms and frosslass leads back then. I always got a ddance in there and a lot of times massacred entire teams with the bulky gyarados. I forgot the nature and ev spread on it though :C

Thoughts on this? Could i make gyaravire viable in cartridge sinnoh classic??

I'm planning on going back to my staple of GyaraVire :3

It gets a lot of heat on these forums but back then it was unstoppable for me on cartridges. I won 9 out of 10 games with this combo back in the serebii spp chat under smogon ou ruleset. This was like a decade ago now, though.

I used a bulky tauntdos lead that was perfect for all the ambipoms and frosslass leads back then. I always got a ddance in there and a lot of times massacred entire teams with the bulky gyarados. I forgot the nature and ev spread on it though :C

Thoughts on this? Could i make gyaravire viable in cartridge sinnoh classic??
Potentially yeah. From what I understood, DPP had no team preview, making tactics like that especially effective. It would be less of a surprise now that it is a thing, but that could be viable.

The problem with GyaraVire is how can you actually take advantage of Electivire.

Its Attack stat is good, but its best STAB move is of questionable viability (not particularly strong AND causes recoil damage) and its coverage is either weak or inaccurate. And it's unable to do anything of note to this meta's physical walls (without SR, it can't 2HKO Hippowdon and max Defense Porygon2, and it has practically no chance to do the same to Rotom-W).

There's also the matter on that once someone sees Gyarados and Electivire on Team Preview, they can assume both are going to be used.

(You can use this to your advantage, though, to mislead the opponent. That's the nice thing of 3v3 - you can actually have Pokemon you're never going to use in battle.)

PS: This is my idea of the team to use in this tourney. I have some doubts that I can fix despite I have already bred all six mons, but I have the overall thing ready.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat / Final Gambit
- U-turn

Staraptor works as the main anti-offense mon. Hitting like a truck despite carrying a Scarf, it tends to do nothing against Hippowdon or Porygon2, but it's something I'm keeping in note.

I'm not sure whether to choose Close Combat or Final Gambit. The ability to deal some more damage to Porygon2, or an emergency OHKO if Staraptor is healthy.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Fake Out

Weavile is my main answer to Porygon2. In more general situations, since Pokemon cannot carry unremovable items in this tourney, Weavile's Knock Off is fantastic - unfortunately it does not live Scizor in range of an Ice Shard, so it can switch in if healthy.

Fake Out is only there to break Sashes, but that's generally Staraptor's job.

Glalie @ Leftovers
Ability: Moody
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Frost Breath
- Sheer Cold

Glalie feels at home in this tourney. Why? Because there are no Z-Moves. No Z-Moves means no moves that cannot miss, which means Glalie is a pain to take out.

It's the generic Moody Glalie set, aiming on speed and bulk, and is the one on its Gen VI BSS analysis. I was thinking of using Freeze Dry because Waters are pretty good in this tourney, but Glalie eventually breaks through them.

(I need to farm PP Ups as all its moves have low PP)

Clefable @ Kee Berry
Ability: Unaware / Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Minimize
- Moonlight

Clefable is Glalie except striving for reliable boosts. A single Minimize tends to be enough for the opponent to struggle to hit Clefable, meaning even Banded Scizor will have issues breaking through it.

It's the basic BSS set for Clefable but for this tourney's sake... as a reference, Banded Scizor can't OHKO Clefable, even if it hasn't eaten the Kee Berry. If you Moonlight, then Scizor needs to score two more Bullet Punches... which gives you room to fish for a miss with Minimize. On another vein, Clefable can set up on Bronzong with no issues, thanks to its bad Speed stat (and again, the Kee Berry). For this reason, Clefable is not running Fire Blast (which has a chance to OHKO Scizor).

Now, I have my doubts on Unaware vs. Magic Guard. I have two Clefable with the same set as above, with each of those abilities. From what I've seen in showdown, setup only seems to happen when the opponent is running something with Belly Drum, so the inability to be worn down seems more appealing... right?

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Normally, Porygon2 has a more mixed spread in BSS, but since this tourney has, like, only Gardevoir and Gengar as special attackers (that are more threatening due to Trick than their offensive prowess), I went for a fully physically defensive spread.

Because of that, I decided to change Discharge for Foul Play because of, again, the primarily-physical meta. Everything else is standard.

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I was going to use a specially defensive Rotom-W until I found out I had no Calm Ditto. After thinking of it enough, I came to the conclusion... this meta does not really require special walls as that kind of attacker is uncommon (Infernape could be dangerous, I admit) so I went with Bold Rotom.

The 0 Speed IVs is not a typo, that's how the best hatchling came up as... and to be fair, it's not a bad thing, as Rotom still outspeeds uninvested Azumarill and Scizor, and will underspeed more things for a safer Volt Switch.

The Wiki Berry means Scizor will get confused if it tries to use Bug Bite on Rotom.

Last edited:
I haven't played online since hgss .. I just got ultra sun and still developing my team.

I had no idea they preview the entire team to the opponent.

That sucks :C and is a major major change to strategy. Figuring out what the opponent was gonna throw out was a major strategic point.

Shame :C

I see Umbreon is an A+ on the viability rankings.

It is one of my favorite poke so if i could fit it into this tourney team that would be solid.

The sets i see on smogon are only wish passers or baton pass mean look.

Is there a more viable bulky wall? A curse set maybe?

Any thoughts or examples?

I know this is just nitpicking, but shouldn't Togekiss be listed as a high BST Pokemon in the OP?

Last edited:
Hello MOistman; it looks like you have a good team here, but I did see a few things. I’m not sure how able you’ll be to change the things that I suggest (being that this is a cartridge team), but this is what I would do:

1. I would make Mamoswine have a Jolly nature, and have it have max speed and attack EVs instead of what you currently have. It does have a Sash, so it doesn’t necessarily need an investment in bulk. Also, having max speed will allow Mamoswine to outspeed or speed-tie Pokemon like Togekiss, other Mamoswine, Galkade, Gardevoir, Scizor, and Magnezone while possibly outspending Gyarados and Rotom forms.

2. It might be more helpful for Tangrowth to have hidden power ice over one of its grass moves to more reliably counter/check Gliscor and Garchomp. You can do this by having Tangrowth have max IVs bar speed (the speed IV would need to be 30, 28, 26, etc.) which isn’t too bad really.

3. I would replace Garchomp’s Iron Head with Poison Jab. This doesn’t change too much really, but it gives Garchomp a way to hit grass pokemon hard without having to use Outrage, and it still hits Togekiss hard as well. Your other option would be Fire fang to hit Bronzong hard, but honestly, that really isn’t the best idea out there.

4. Looking at your team as a whole, your team could struggle to deal with Porygon2 a little bit. There isn’t a easy way to fix this, as not many Pokemon can actually one shot Porygon2 (Scizor’s Superpower only does a max of 71.8% damage to a max HP/Defense EVed Bold Porygon2 for instance). Your team could also struggle against fast Pokemon in general, like Weavile and Alakazam, especially if Scizor is down. One possible suggestion would be to have a scarfed Infernape, as it can at least heavily damage a lot of the fast Pokemon in this tournament as well as have a in g a very good chance of 2HKOing Porygon2. It can also use U-Turn, which goes along with some of your team concept.

I hope that I helped you at least somewhat here. Maybe since I rated your team...you can rate my team...?

Anyway, good luck in the tournament!
Thanks for the input. My mamoswine actually is jolly, max attack/speed on cart, I just put in the wrong build on Showdown haha. Not sure how easy it'll be to get HP ice on Tangrowth but I'll see what I can do, I like the idea of having an extra check to chomp/gliscor and tbh I only ever really seem to end up using one of his grass STABs per battle anyways. As for the rest of your suggestions, scarf Infernape will be easy enough to add since I've got one that's ready to go, how would you suggest fitting it onto the team? I'd like to keep Rotom, gyarados (although I've been keen on belly drum azumarill recently, so I may try that instead), scizor and tangrowth along with either mamoswine or garchomp.

As for your team, overall it looks quite good. The only things that I can really think of may be to have an additional check to offensive water types like azumarill and gyarados in case rotom w isn't available. Perhaps running thunderpunch on 'nape instead of mach punch (unless you really want to give weavile the jump; tbh I can't see weavile being able to ohko infernape, in fact I imagine a lot of the time the opponent would just switch out anyways, no?) as well as a Tangrowth of your own. Scizor could also use some investment in attack imo

Thanks for the input. My mamoswine actually is jolly, max attack/speed on cart, I just put in the wrong build on Showdown haha. Not sure how easy it'll be to get HP ice on Tangrowth but I'll see what I can do, I like the idea of having an extra check to chomp/gliscor and tbh I only ever really seem to end up using one of his grass STABs per battle anyways. As for the rest of your suggestions, scarf Infernape will be easy enough to add since I've got one that's ready to go, how would you suggest fitting it onto the team? I'd like to keep Rotom, gyarados (although I've been keen on belly drum azumarill recently, so I may try that instead), scizor and tangrowth along with either mamoswine or garchomp.

As for your team, overall it looks quite good. The only things that I can really think of may be to have an additional check to offensive water types like azumarill and gyarados in case rotom w isn't available. Perhaps running thunderpunch on 'nape instead of mach punch (unless you really want to give weavile the jump; tbh I can't see weavile being able to ohko infernape, in fact I imagine a lot of the time the opponent would just switch out anyways, no?) as well as a Tangrowth of your own. Scizor could also use some investment in attack imo
Thanks for your input MOistman! Upon further looking at my team, I may switch Gastrodon for a physically defensive Tangrowth to better handle Water Pokemon (as Drapion has the Assault Vest, and this metagame seems very physically based anyway). My team otherwise would be kind of weak to some Water Pokemon; Infernape and Gliscor are weak to Water, while Scizor doesn’t like it too much. I don’t think that I’m going to change Infernape’s moves though, as adding Tangrowth does help in that regard, and I really want that emergency check to Weavile, as I think it will be very common. I’m also not quite sure what I’ll have Scizor’s EVs at; I’ll need to do some research to figure that out later.

As for your team, I would replace either Mamoswine or Garchomp for Infernape, maybe actually leaning toward Garchomp here. You already have another set up sweeper in Gyarados, and Mamoswine doesn’t do too bad against Porygon2.

Last edited:
Hello! I’m quite new to this so sorry if this is obvious, but can we use Pokémon that were bred in Sun and Moon for this competition? I know it’s on ultra sun and moon, but I want to know if I can used Pokémon that were traded from sun and moon. Thanks !

Hello! I’m quite new to this so sorry if this is obvious, but can we use Pokémon that were bred in Sun and Moon for this competition? I know it’s on ultra sun and moon, but I want to know if I can used Pokémon that were traded from sun and moon. Thanks !
You can use any Pokemon that was hatched from an egg in SM and traded to USUM. In fact you can use mons from any Pokemon game regardless of the generation it came from (provided it was in the sinnoh dex).

So I've spent all week breeding and preparing 4th gen Pokémon, I have about two different teams I'm testing out but can't make up my mind with which SR setter I should settle for. Might need an opinion or two on which setter is preferred between Azelf & Mamo?

Also I know I stated this in a previous post before but I figured I'd mention it one more time, if anyone needs Reckless Starly, just pm me. I have about four left that know Double-Edge.

Is Sap Sipper perishtrap Azu gonna be on every stall team?
Probably not, as it’s hard to get an Azumarill with both Perish Song, Whirlpool, and Sap Sipper. Whirlpool is a HM in generation 2 or 4 (I don’t think gen 4 will work though for this) and Perish Song is an egg move. It is technically possible to get all of this stuff together, but it is hard to accomplish.

Last edited:
Is Sap Sipper perishtrap Azu gonna be on every stall team?
Perish Trap Azumarill is not a staller, so it won't be on stall teams.

There's also the matter that there are hardly any mons that check Belly Drum Azumarill that the Perish Trapper can beat here - for instance, Grass-types... you can trap Tangrowth, but Rotom-C can Volt Switch. Other things that beat BD Azumarill that fall to a Perish Trap are not available here.

Perhaps Porygon2... but +6 Liquidation can OHKO even without removing the Eviolite while Thunderbolt does not even deal 50%.

Oh, I thought perish trap Azu would be there for the stall v. stall matchup, not necessarily as a staller itself. Glad to know I won't have to worry about it. Thanks for the input guys!

Played my first 15 games; two ended in a disconnect, had some problems finding games, and when I did, ratings varied greatly (I had people above 1600 and below 1430 within a few games of each other). Granted, I played early morning NA time, but still, it feels like there are noticeably less people playing than usual. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Anyway, ended in the low 1600s playing Azumarill / Gardevoir / Garchomp / Porygon2 / Staraptor / Gengar. Not nearly enough Rotom+Scizor cores to warrant my two HP Fires, no Mamoswine, Garchomp or Chansey in sight, saw a fun Pelipper+mixed Life Orb Floatzel, lost to Scarf Reckless Staraptor being unable to break through an Eviolite Golbat, got haxed more than I haxed myself (although I did dodge 4 Sheer Colds and 2 Guillotines in games that were already won) and—best of all—got to Trace Glalie's Moody and Trick Specs onto said Glalie.

edit: biggest regret — not having the intestinal fortitude to bring Abomasnow.

Last edited:
I played my first 15 games already and I'm at the mid-1500s with a 10-5 record.

Lost a game due to a misclick (Calm Mind with Clefable when it was at +6) which let it get counter-haxed (Scizors ALWAYS hit their Bullet Punches when Clefable is about to KO them regardless of evasion boosts) while the others were mostly me being outplayed (or me just being dumb - not thinking Rotom-H would carry Trick).

I noticed two things with my team that I don't like - I noticed I only have one answer to Scizor (Rotom-W) and I never find a reason to pick Porygon2, meaning its slot is wasted. Should have picked Belly Drum Azumarill or something, but it always happens. I always add Porygon2 to my tourney teams and I never use it.

Been having some fun with a Drapion lead holding a Red Card. Nobody suspects Red Card and it combos well with Toxic Spikes and Knock Off. Toxic Spikes is really lethal because nobody is running hazard removal or poison types. There is a lot of flying and levitate Pokémon, so you just avoid selecting Drapion against those teams. But even then, it's a fast tank that can spam knock off and poison jab.

Other novelty Pokémon I'm running is Specs Rotom Mow. It's really useful against the ridiculous amount of Rotom Wash being used, as it completely checks it. It's also great against Milotic, Azumarill and Mamoswine. Plus Rotom Mow has Trick to cripple stuff like Porygon2 with a choice Specs.

2 things to whine about:

People rage quitting and disconnecting before you get the points for winning. Really bad sportsmanship and sad to see. I'm sorry if you thought you'd won with your Mamoswine against my Gengar as the last Pokémon remaining, only to eat an Energy Ball and lose. It was a strategic move inclusion. Just deal with it and move on.

First turn a Staraptor managed to OHKO a defense and HP invested bulky Drapion on full health with Double Edge. Then second turn it OHKO'd a defense and HP invested bulky Gliscor on full health with another Double Edge. Then he proceeded to OHKO my last Pokémon (max HP Azumarill on full health) with a Porygon Z's Hyper Beam. I didn't get a move in, basically.

I'm not sure how any of those three damage rolls and OHKO scenarios are physically possible. Choice Band Adamant Staraptor?? I dunno. But hey, that's Pokémon. I've learned something today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)