Metagame USUM Memetagame Discussion was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The problem with Scarf Magnezone is that it really struggles beating protect seed Ferrothorn and won't do anything if the opponent is using rain.. Sure trapping offensive heatran can be nice, but I don't think it's worth it. Sub is probably the best set since it allows it to actually beat Ferrothorn even in rain.
First off, I never implied it answered Heatran, in fact I said the core struggled with it. Rain has been hardly common as well, and lastly Protect Seed Ferrothorn sounds extremely gimped in moveslots and inefficient overall considering the fact it has 4MSS already. Scarf Zone is really solid this meta, checks MPins, preys on Kartana, and the like. It contends with Sub Z at times, but it works better with other ZMove partners like say Rockium Bulu.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scarf is the set that I find myself falling back onto on balance atm just because fuCK Kartana, and even then offense generally appreciates it a lot even if it is definitely a toss-up depending on the team.

Anyway, something I just wanna say is that Mega Medicham is... stupidly potent ATM. Balance has an extremely hard time preparing for it between stuff like Mew being kinda easy to pressure nowadays between Toxapex (which can pressure it with TSpikes, obviously) being totally broken and a few other Pokemon just leaving it forced to Roost more often than not, and the fact that Mega Sab has a lot of very obvious issues wrt fitting onto balance teams due to it meaning no Mega Venusaur/Scizor as well as there just being a lot of good options atm that just generally make it easier to pressure than it used to be, such as SD Gliscor on more balanced Medi squads, I'm finding myself harder pressed than I feel I've been in the past when preparing for this thing (granted it was always a bit of an asshole anyway).

Another 'mon that I've been really liking ATM is Jirachi; while, yes, it's kinda Spikes bait for Ferro and can be forced out by Ash Gren (which can also Spike on it), being able to have that buffer versus shit like Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, and Kyub etc. is extremely nice, and a lot of balanced/BP teams really appreciate its ability to carry Rocks+HW or even just the SpD Wish set (this is a seriously useful move in general between it healing Rachi and it making teammates like Tran etc. assholes to deal with); not being trapped by Zone if it's the SR pivot variant is really nice, whereas the Wish set also kinda benefits from Scarf Lando being super popular because it can bait out and cripple it with Body Slam, which is extremely nice because negating probably the most common form of speed control in the meta is such a valuable asset for a lot of teams and can be useful in relieving the pressure on Pokemon like Tapu Koko when being used on more balanced builds as opposed to on stallish squads.

Jesus chirst I need to fix my sleep schedule.

jirachi is nice and i've also been liking hippo recently with it.
Speaking of bulky ground types from ORAS I wanna talk about a set that I feel can definitely make a return back to the mega from last gen. Tank helmet chomp. I feel like while it's not in a super good position, it is similar to hippowdon which I feel is also rising in viability. The difference here is that it is faster, a better tran check, and it is not a momentum sap so it can be on bulky offensive teams which hippo can't. I feel like this set is getting a lot better now for a couple reasons: one, hawlucha is obviously super popular and defensive chomp is actually pretty nice as a hawlucha check/counter. Also, chomp is really good at getting up rocks and keeping them up. With either toxic dragon tail or fire blast or earthquake, it can threaten other hazard setters and defoggers. It also is like the perfect heatran check being able to outspeed it and force it out. I feel like while it isn't amazing, it is something that should be looked at more and further discovered this gen because its is pretty damn good.

jirachi is nice and i've also been liking hippo recently with it.
Speaking of bulky ground types from ORAS I wanna talk about a set that I feel can definitely make a return back to the mega from last gen. Tank helmet chomp. I feel like while it's not in a super good position, it is similar to hippowdon which I feel is also rising in viability. The difference here is that it is faster, a better tran check, and it is not a momentum sap so it can be on bulky offensive teams which hippo can't. I feel like this set is getting a lot better now for a couple reasons: one, hawlucha is obviously super popular and defensive chomp is actually pretty nice as a hawlucha check/counter. Also, chomp is really good at getting up rocks and keeping them up. With either toxic dragon tail or fire blast or earthquake, it can threaten other hazard setters and defoggers. It also is like the perfect heatran check being able to outspeed it and force it out. I feel like while it isn't amazing, it is something that should be looked at more and further discovered this gen because its is pretty damn good.
This is something I'm actually interested in, I think it has a few more qualities that give it merit. Being immune to Volt Switch and heavily punishing U-Turners is very nice, it can take on Kartana 1v1, particularly with Fire Blast, only really losing if it is already at +2 and you miss the Fire Blast after being hit once. Paired with Toxapex, you have your Ice weakness covered and provide the Electric immunity, plus you can cycle through your opponents teams with Dragon Tail onto the Toxic Spikes and Rocks. You could tweak the EV's to avoid the HP [Ice]/Dazzling Gleam OHKO from Koko which would be nice too, though this is still only 18.8% chance to OHKO with only HP investment at 100% HP.

Just looking down the VR, Tank Chomp is sort of hit and miss. You have mons it stacks very well against, like Heatran, Kartana, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Hawlucha (doesn't 2HKO unboosted), Tyranitar and Volcarona. However, there is a number of very common mons it is handily beaten by. Landorus-T Intimidates and packs HP [Ice], Specs Ash-Greninja lives EQ and can 2HKO (even before transforming), AV Magearna lives EQ and OHKO's with Fleur Cannon, Specs Koko OHKO's after rocks (but is locked into non-electric which is nice), Bulu, Celesteela Leech Seed, Kyurem-B. Lastly I still think defensive Landorus outclasses, with better Toxapex synergy, better typing (especially seeing as Tank Chomp isn't packing a strong Dragon STAB), Intimidate, slow U-Turn and possible Defog.

So yeah I''m 50/50 I will give Tank Chomp a try in the new gen.

For:
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 151-178 (36.2 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 147-174 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 152-180 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (watch out for Burn)
252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 174-205 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Against:
0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 188-224 (45 - 53.7%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 348-411 (83.4 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 422-498 (101.1 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 240-284 (68.3 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
60+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 225-265 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (though you are inflicting recoil + Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet)
0- SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Celesteela: 104-124 (26.1 - 31.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery and Leech Seed recovery
[\Hide]

Ripped from XY:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Last edited:
I agree that Helmet Chomp's pretty good. It's also a good switchin to ScarfTana as Leaf Blade's a 3HKO, and if it hits Chomp enough times, it could be in range of something like pre-Ash Gren's Water Shuriken or Pinsir's Quick Attack.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

ENough speed to outpace Heatran, and the rest in physical bulk. It still lives a +2 HJK from Lucha after rocks.

I agree that Helmet Chomp's pretty good. It's also a good switchin to ScarfTana as Leaf Blade's a 3HKO, and if it hits Chomp enough times, it could be in range of something like pre-Ash Gren's Water Shuriken or Pinsir's Quick Attack.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

ENough speed to outpace Heatran, and the rest in physical bulk. It still lives a +2 HJK from Lucha after rocks.
Do you even need that much speed TBH? What's Heatran doing to you unless it's Z-Flash Cannon or Specs Flash Cannon (which are both comparatively uncommon, albeit viable).?

Do you even need that much speed TBH? What's Heatran doing to you unless it's Z-Flash Cannon or Specs Flash Cannon (which are both comparatively uncommon, albeit viable).?
It's bulky enough to still be checking what it needs to be checking, aka Kartana and Hawlucha, so having a secondary Heatran check that can outspeed and OHKO it is always nice given how prevalent it is rn

Unless mag is going to get hit by knock off, or Chansey walls it off. Its still good for some checks. Though I rather use celesteela+flame throw to check Kartana. Like every other mon that uses choice scarf, it can become predictable. Especially when you use HP fire, and then they know you don't have HP ice. Other then that, if you want a steel type to completely shut down other steel types with magnet pull, then Magnezone will be used for that reason.

Unless mag is going to get hit by knock off, or Chansey walls it off. Its still good for some checks. Though I rather use celesteela+flame throw to check Kartana. Like every other mon that uses choice scarf, it can become predictable. Especially when you use HP fire, and then they know you don't have HP ice. Other then that, if you want a steel type to completely shut down other steel types with magnet pull, then Magnezone will be used for that reason.
The only problem with using Celesteela as a Kartana check is

+2 252 Atk Kartana All-Out Pummeling (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 382-450 (95.9 - 113%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If you only need to check Scarf then you're ok but seriously built teams will have a Steela check if using scarf.

I belive not a lot of people use z-move Kartana, since I've seen a lot of people use focus sash Kartana, and scarf Kartana. I haven't ran into anyone using z-move Kartana yet. Other then that I think Celesteela has more options then magnezone, and only has 2 weakness, fire and elec. and knock off isn't as bad on Celesteela compared to magnezone. Still if you just want to lock down other steel types, magnezone counters most of them.

I belive not a lot of people use z-move Kartana, since I've seen a lot of people use focus sash Kartana, and scarf Kartana. I haven't ran into anyone using z-move Kartana yet. Other then that I think Celesteela has more options then magnezone, and only has 2 weakness, fire and elec. and knock off isn't as bad on Celesteela compared to magnezone. Still if you just want to lock down other steel types, magnezone counters most of them.
I have seen a lot of people running Z Kartana, but slightly more running scarf. What you've seen anecdotally doesn't always represent the full picture. Look at some tournament games and look at the statistics https://www.smogon.com/stats/2018-01/moveset/gen7ou-1825.txt

25% of people run Z on Kartana. It's something to consider for sure. 56% run scarf.

Almost no one runs sash.

So are we only talking about tournaments? If so it wouldn't matter to me or anyone else to doesn't play in tournaments. If I run into z-move Kartana's, then ill change my set ups. As of right now I'm not worried about it, since I haven't seen anyone use it yet. As for him mentioning rocks, thats just a theory if they are out, and not defogged. Both Celesteela and Magnezone are still useable in comp, though I still think Celesteela has more opinions, and doesn't have to worry about ground and fighting types as much as Magnezone does.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
So are we only talking about tournaments? If so it wouldn't matter to me or anyone else to doesn't play in tournaments. If I run into z-move Kartana's, then ill change my set ups. As of right now I'm not worried about it, since I haven't seen anyone use it yet. As for him mentioning rocks, thats just a theory if they are out, and not defogged. Both Celesteela and Magnezone are still useable in comp, though I still think Celesteela has more opinions, and doesn't have to worry about ground and fighting types as much as Magnezone does.
Magnezone and Cele have completely different roles tho, Cele is used as a wall while Magnezone is used specifically to trap and eliminate steel types for teammates such as Mega Latios to sweep.

And I'm assuming you are lower on the ladder due to the fact that Sash Kartana is almost nonexistant above 1500 and in Tour play (Tour play is most reflective of the actual metagame and hence why its usage matters)

Magnezone and Cele have completely different roles tho, Cele is used as a wall while Magnezone is used specifically to trap and eliminate steel types for teammates such as Mega Latios to sweep.

And I'm assuming you are lower on the ladder due to the fact that Sash Kartana is almost nonexistant above 1500 and in Tour play (Tour play is most reflective of the actual metagame and hence why its usage matters)
FWIW Assault Vest Zone was a thing at one point but it's not very good. I don't even remember the last time I saw one.

As for the rest of this debate, I have seen ScarfZone underperform against rain teams with Ferrothorn. It sucks when you build a team with the hope that you can kill Ferro reasonably early in the match using ScarfZone and then you can do 30% at best in the rain. Ferro doesn't even need Protect in that scenario, it can live pretty happily in the rain absorbing HP Fire and setting up spikes. But that's not to say SubZone is any better - if you swap in on Leech you're still screwed, plus SubZone can't check any of the things that the scarf variant can.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Imo this is one of the only reasons to run Chomp in the current meta. It's a great answer to Scarftana and Hawlucha, especially because Dragon Tail lets you phase the latter. Keeps Scizor/Ferrothorn out of play decently well + can swap in non Ice Zapdos and Heatran decently well.

one thing ive been really liking lately is reuniclus
1518800491238.png

now, i don't think this thing should rise the vr, however i think its a really underrated threat in ou. magic guard is a busted af ability since you counter stuff like ferrothorn and celesteela, and calm mind kind of just wins games on its own. in SPL its been used twice but one of them was an otr set which pretty garbage. but yeah. so cm reuniclus just sets up on so much of the metagame that its crazy that its not used more. going through the vr, it sets up on /beats pex, scarf kartana, tauntless tran, ferro, magearna, tapu lele, some varients of tapu koko, celesteela, clefable, and hawlucha. now, i don't believe Reuniclus has gotten better recently, which is why its not a vr nom, but i feel like its a massive sleeper threat right now.

I'm talking tournaments AND ladder. The statistics I posted were from the ladder. 25% of people on the ladder run a z crystal on Kartana of some kind. That's not insignificant. The fact that you haven't run into it much is NOT AN ARGUMENT. That is just anecdotal experience, not reflective of the metagame on the ladder (or tournaments).

Last edited:
Yeah, Scarf is more popular, but there is still significant usage of Z Kartana, so don't assume that your team has no problems with Kartana if Celesteela is your only check. Also yes Celesteela is not comparable to Magnezone at all, its like comparing Toxapex to Greninja because they share a type.

one thing ive been really liking lately is reuniclus
View attachment 102217
now, i don't think this thing should rise the vr, however i think its a really underrated threat in ou. magic guard is a busted af ability since you counter stuff like ferrothorn and celesteela, and calm mind kind of just wins games on its own. in SPL its been used twice but one of them was an otr set which pretty garbage. but yeah. so cm reuniclus just sets up on so much of the metagame that its crazy that its not used more. going through the vr, it sets up on /beats pex, scarf kartana, tauntless tran, ferro, magearna, tapu lele, some varients of tapu koko, celesteela, clefable, and hawlucha. now, i don't believe Reuniclus has gotten better recently, which is why its not a vr nom, but i feel like its a massive sleeper threat right now.
I really like Reuniclus, you do have to watch out for Knock Off on Kartana though.

+1 252 Atk Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Reuniclus: 366-432 (86.3 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery (after one Beast Boost or obviously OHKO after SD).

As well as Greninja Dark Pulse obviously OHKO'ing, or doing like 80% vs +1, while you don't really have a way to hit it without Focus Miss. I do think the rising of Toxic Spikes from Toxapex, Psyspam and Hawlucha does make Reuniclus slightly more viable then before, if you did want to nom this. It has nice coverage, Calm Mind and recovery, as well as mono typing which is always nice to avoid 4x effective hits. It's just slow as balls and again being weak to the very common Knock Off does not help. I actually think the Trick Room set is more viable, even as the only user on the team it can be great to clean late game, as well as to get Calm Mind up before you take a hit.

Last edited:

I know they have different rolls, your missing the point were I said Cele has more opinions. And bringing up Cele is my only counter to Kartana, is irrelevant to who is more useful, Cele or mag. Kartana can't set up if I have taunt, or it it gets hit by rocks, or I set up with Volcarona. Point is both Cele and magn, are still in comp, though I think Cele is more useful. A lot of you just assume things, like I'm sure people use z-move Kartana, just saying I haven't seen it, doesn't mean I don't think it doesn't exist

I know they have different rolls, your missing the point were I said Cele has more opinions. And bringing up Cele is my only counter to Kartana, is irrelevant to who is more useful, Cele or mag. Kartana can't set up if I have taunt, or it it gets hit by rocks, or I set up with Volcarona. Point is both Cele and magn, are still in comp, though I think Cele is more useful. A lot of you just assume things, like I'm sure people use z-move Kartana, just saying I haven't seen it, doesn't mean I don't think it doesn't exist
What set are you using with Celesteela? I've never seen taunt (edit: I was being sarcastic, I didn't get why you would bring up taunt when we were taking about Celesteela?) , ofc your opponent's are rolls of dice and it depends on the ladder, but in terms of team building when you see Kartana, 1 in 4 times it's a Z crystal statistically. Obviously I can't speak to your ladder experience. Magnezone has more options realistically Celesteela has one set (Seed/Slam/Flame/Protect) either Def or sdef. Magnezone has Scarf, AV, Specs and SubZ so at the very least they're even on options (setup sweeper Steela is unviable IMO). Celesteela is suffers from Koko and Volcarona usage as well. Zone fits a more niche role so checks like this aren't as much of a worry.

Last edited:
I never said I used taunt on Cele. I don't know where you got that idea. I could be running other mons on my team that have taunt. Bringing up they have different rolls doesn't matter to me, since would you ever use both Cele and mag on the same team? Since they are both weak to fire. To me Cele is more useable on teams then Mag. Ive run into a lot of teams that run knock off, which is also a huge disadvantage to Mag.

People are gonna call me crazy but I think Xatu of all things is a ridiculously anti meta choice right now. with a max hp max def bold rocky helmet set it walls shit like ferrothorn (takes 40 from gyro and it only has 8 pp), chansey (can only click seismic and take 16%) pex (scald does 20ish% while psychic hits for 35-40 and can fish for drops) and forces defensive lando to always uturn and take chip as the only thing it can usually hit with is hp ice. It also works as a emergency Kart check if its locked into anything other than knock off. I fluttering around the 1850-1950 range right now with it so its hardly some flukey mess. Not saying its the best thing in the tier but with a team built around it its unique typing and magic bounce can really fuck up a lot of common cores and makes them forsake a lot of momentum. pex/steel builds just get bopped by the free turns it provides. Moveset I'm running is psychic/uturn/roost/defog. I think its a really slept on mon.

People are gonna call me crazy but I think Xatu of all things is a ridiculously anti meta choice right now. with a max hp max def bold rocky helmet set it walls shit like ferrothorn (takes 40 from gyro and it only has 8 pp), chansey (can only click seismic and take 16%) pex (scald does 20ish% while psychic hits for 35-40 and can fish for drops) and forces defensive lando to always uturn and take chip as the only thing it can usually hit with is hp ice. It also works as a emergency Kart check if its locked into anything other than knock off. I fluttering around the 1850-1950 range right now with it so its hardly some flukey mess. Not saying its the best thing in the tier but with a team built around it its unique typing and magic bounce can really fuck up a lot of common cores and makes them forsake a lot of momentum. pex/steel builds just get bopped by the free turns it provides. Moveset I'm running is psychic/uturn/roost/defog. I think its a really slept on mon.
Yeah I agree, there’s an RMT or Bazaar team floating around featuring Zard X, Subzero Buzzwole and Xatu and it’s pretty effective. It also has access to Heat Wave which is nice. If we were trying to figure out what the undervalued threats are in OU, Xatu would probably lead my list.

It is a very anti-meta Pokémon, yes. But Xatu has one main problem that almost all psychic-types have: And that is pursuit-trapping. Even Reuniclus, which is a very good Pokémon in OU right now, does find itself struggling with that form of trapping, which is why I think Tyranitar is quite frankly amazing in this meta. Both Mega- and Choice Band Tyranitar invalidate almost all sets of almost all psychic-types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)