My Hero Academia (Spoiler Warning)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I had heard a lot of recommendations and finally got caught up, it doesn't have that many episodes yet (only up to 44 total).

I don't think I've seen characters with real flaws done quite so well. All Might is one of the best characters I've ever seen who is written with real flaws (that come to fruition in relevant ways) but real strengths as well. The dynamic Midoriya has with him is also a major plot driver and source of consequences too.
I'll save all that analysis for a later post, want to open up the thread.

Any other MHA fans on the forums?

I also literally just caught up with this. I'm a big fan of the animation and storyboarding of the action scenes. I also like the pace and attention given to side characters; just about everyone has a cool power and a lot of excuses to show it off. Nothing really earth shattering story or character wise but they got all the themes right and it's very good fun.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I read shounen for the quick, cheap entertainment so I'm not a huge fan of this series. I don't really see what it offers over the recent "classic" shounen in terms of that. Read like 100 chapters or so.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
One of the best shows i've seen in a while and am loving it. The interaction among all the students is one of the most genuine portrayals of a classroom setting and classmate to friend dynamics i've ever seen. The action is great, the comedy is great, the character development has been great. Just an A+ show all around

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I predict whatever comes of Midoriya's quest to get Bakugo back will not end well, and if I had to wager, the finale of this season will involve the death of All Might. The second season didn't have much of an epic clash to end it (like the USJ Incident and All Might's overcoming Nomu by punching it beyond the horizon), it was more reserved and a setup to this season.

All Might's death has been foreshadowed since Episode 1. His looking for a successor, All Might's personal self-acknowledgement he won't always be there, the way One for All seems to work in general, his ever-diminishing active time in muscle mode, etc. Chasing after the League of Villians is going to be a catalyst to this at least in part. I suspect what will happen is All Might will rush in, get overextended, fall out of muscle mode (and cameras will be there revealing his current state) and that will set up the 4th season.

The only thing I don't like is that the ending is sort of a fait accompli because at multiple points in intro narration, Midoriya is saying this is the story of how he became the greatest hero. This doesn't necessarily mean a peaceful, happy ending - he could be saying it from his death bed after transferring One for All to his successor - but that seems like too dark an end for this particular series, at least based on what has happened so far.

I predict whatever comes of Midoriya's quest to get Bakugo back will not end well, and if I had to wager, the finale of this season will involve the death of All Might. The second season didn't have much of an epic clash to end it (like the USJ Incident and All Might's overcoming Nomu by punching it beyond the horizon), it was more reserved and a setup to this season.

All Might's death has been foreshadowed since Episode 1. His looking for a successor, All Might's personal self-acknowledgement he won't always be there, the way One for All seems to work in general, his ever-diminishing active time in muscle mode, etc. Chasing after the League of Villians is going to be a catalyst to this at least in part. I suspect what will happen is All Might will rush in, get overextended, fall out of muscle mode (and cameras will be there revealing his current state) and that will set up the 4th season.

The only thing I don't like is that the ending is sort of a fait accompli because at multiple points in intro narration, Midoriya is saying this is the story of how he became the greatest hero. This doesn't necessarily mean a peaceful, happy ending - he could be saying it from his death bed after transferring One for All to his successor - but that seems like too dark an end for this particular series, at least based on what has happened so far.
all might doesnt die just yet but it will eventually happen alot of death frags have been risen on him lately. other than that though u r right about what will take place in future events.
however u will not be ready for what it is to come in the quest to get bakugo back.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Deck Knight READ THIS FIRST IF YOURE NOT INTO SPOILERS

The post above is a spoiler so ye. Here's a non spoilery post, I read manga as well and I agree with reddit sentiments that the anime really gives this series a Plus Ultra of value adding above the manga itself too.

Do we do hide tags for spoilers itt or no?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah that post is a garbo spoiler for a thread about the anime (which is beautiful, btw).

I just really want to know about Hands man (not even going to bother remembering the name), and how One for All and All for One are really the opposites. It seems a bit weird how they counter one another so I'd like that further explained.

edit: Deck Knight don't read above Sand's post

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I couldn't help reading it.... but I'd imagine it's all but set that All Might gets taken out of the equation pretty soon by some means or the other.

After the nomu affair he has maybe a good fight or two left in him.... probably only one if he faces some boss villain. The season is setting up the gradual erosion of public faith and sense of security derived from heroes. All Might is a symbol of that kind of peace. The story cannot have its ultimate crisis while All Might is still around. I'd wager the League (or the guy running it) neutralise him by this season's end. Otherwise there is no plot incentive to speed up Midoriya/Class A's development.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
i just started it a few weeks ago and finished S1, which i thought was pretty average and formulaic as far as shonens go

S2 already starting off on the right foot though as this sports festival arc seems pretty interesting and apparently S3 is way better too so i'm excited

RODAN

Banned deucer.
all might doesnt die in this season. other than that though u r right about what will take place in future events.
however u will not be ready for what it is to come in the quest to get bakugo back.
in the future place all spoilers itc in hide tags. ty

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
i just started it a few weeks ago and finished S1, which i thought was pretty average and formulaic as far as shonens go

S2 already starting off on the right foot though as this sports festival arc seems pretty interesting and apparently S3 is way better too so i'm excited
S2 is definitely better than season 1, I didn’t find season 1 that engaging but season 2 really gets the ball rolling.

On another note, real shame Mustard got taken out already. Pulling out a gun in a superhero fight was *so good*

Deck Knight

Well, since I was on vacation this week I was able to catch up with the manga.

I was not disappointed. I'm also glad Kirishima got some shine because I felt like up until then he was underdeveloped.

yeah that post is a garbo spoiler for a thread about the anime (which is beautiful, btw).

I just really want to know about Hands man (not even going to bother remembering the name), and how One for All and All for One are really the opposites. It seems a bit weird how they counter one another so I'd like that further explained.
first of all, this is for the manga and anime, not just the anime.
thread didnt say "ANIME ONLY" literally says "my hero academia spoiler warning"
in the future place all spoilers itc in hide tags. ty
hmmm im not going to put a hide tag every time i post a spoiler here.
thread is literally named "my hero academia spoiler warning" if u dont want spoilers at all dont bother coming to thread period. its there choice to be spoiled not mines. if the op didnt want spoilers included, then it should of been said in the title, like all the other threads.

Last edited:

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
first of all, this is for the manga and anime, not just the anime.
thread didnt say "ANIME ONLY" literally says "my hero academia spoiler warning"

hmmm im not going to put a hide tag every time i post a spoiler here.
thread is literally named "my hero academia spoiler warning" if u dont want spoilers at all dont bother coming to thread period. its there choice to be spoiled not mines. if the op didnt want spoilers included, then it should of been said in the title, like all the other threads
there's a difference between talking about things you like in the manga or things about future arcs in the manga versus directly telling someone who was decidedly anime only at that point exactly what is going to happen in the manga in relation to their speculation. the first is fine, the second is just being a dick

don't do the second one

Last edited:
there's a difference between talking about things you like in the manga or things about future arcs in the manga versus directly telling someone who was decidedly anime only at that point exactly what is going to happen in the manga in relation to their speculation. the first is fine, the second is just being a dick

don't do the second one
dont want to turn this into a shitfest but im not repeating myself
if u dont want to be spoiled, dont bother coming to the thread period
there's no difference, its still spoilers.
dunno why ur acting like i told the entire story in every detail for the arc.
i simply said all might doesnt die and simply answered his question, probably none of u got what he was implying in that post because he actually spoiled SO MUCH but apparently im the dick
dont get the confusion when the op isnt even a anime only and whats even worse is that its not "speculation" when he is literally talking about what exactly happened in the upcoming arc and the manga while spoiling alot more than i did.

loll

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
dont want to turn this into a shitfest but im not repeating myself
if u dont want to be spoiled, dont bother coming to the thread period
there's no difference, its still spoilers.
dunno why ur acting like i told the entire story in every detail for the arc.
i simply said [REDACTED] and simply answered his question, probably none of u got what he was implying in that post because he actually spoiled SO MUCH but apparently im the dick
dont get the confusion when the op isnt even a anime only and whats even worse is that its not "speculation" when he is literally talking about what exactly happened in the upcoming arc and the manga while spoiling alot more than i did.

loll
Dude, it wasn't asking a lot. Chill out.

Deck Knight

In fairness, I was kind of dumb in thinking there wasn't a corresponding Manga further ahead, that's not how these things tend to work. DBSuper is the only series I know of when the Manga trails behind the Anime instead of the other way around. My own temperament is also that a lot of these series impact is in how they play out, not where they end up.

I actively avoided DBS spoilers in the last few weeks because it was reaching a series climax. In this case it's kind of my fault for not researching deeper (though it seems like the Manga is released every 6 weeks based on upload dates rather than a weekly serial like One Piece).

That said, here are my thoughts (I'll hide anything Manga related, the rest assumed you're caught up with the Anime):

In General:
Self-Awareness: This series on very rare occasions breaks the 4th wall and is aware of its characters flaws.
No Side Characters: Sorry Bakugo, there aren't any here and everyone seems to get their chance to shine... even Minetta that one time.
Actually Kirishima has significantly more shine than you at this point so...

On Three Characters:

All Might

Things I like:
He's Hilarious: His energy, enthusiasm, and even some of his retort statements have had me laughing out loud.
He's Flawed in relevant ways: The only time he's been somewhat competent at teaching Midoriya has been in the most recent manga arc,
and that's after actively reading a "How to teach even if you're an idiot" book.
This has driven a lot of the plot and a lot of character decisions. Even when All Might shows up to save the day, nobody gets a free ride out of injury or consequences like with some other Superman-styled characters.
His Character is Consistent and Relatable: This is an impressive pull-off for a character who is premised as a flawless, invincible symbol who is nonetheless revealed to not only be vulnerable, but increasingly so. And he still pulls it out in the end with his spirit. Total badass.
Extra Ham: The Awesome is About to Happen... Because I AM HERE!

Things I don't like:
A little *too* conveniently incompetent: Midoriya was breaking the hell out of his body early in the series and it didn't seem to concern All Might too much. For the 10 months training of making Midoriya a suitable vessel, he's not exactly proactive about stopping Midoriya from tearing holes in the side of said vessel.
It still hasn't been touched on a great deal, even with more direct mentoring.

- - - - -
A character like All Might is really difficult to pull off without becoming Superman. I love this guy.

Midoriya

Things I Like:
Earnest and Honest: Midoriya is very relatable to me as the timid kid who has to grow out of his emotional shell to achieve his dreams. He doesn't act with malice or hostility, he's just trying to do whatever he can to do what is right and resolve conflicts.
Fandom as a Positive: There has been a few times where Midoriya's obsession with all things All Might has actually benefited him, turning his preoccupation into an actual strength when it comes not only to analyzing heroes and battle situations, but it also makes him relatable to many other characters in the city who have the same sort of fanatic admiration.
Idealistic: So much of what drives Midoriya's actions and outlook is to strive beyond and work harder than anyone else because he used to be Quirkless, and this remains consistent throughout his most difficult moments.

Things I Don't Like:
Naivety: I honestly do not get Midoriya's admiration for Bakugo. It's more like Stockholm Syndrome than anything that should have amounted to a proper friendship or rivalry. This also displays itself in how Midoriya tries too hard to absolutely mimic All Might
It's getting better now
, which I guess is sort of a positive because it drives some plot and growth experiences, but just like All Might being a little too incompetent about teaching, Midoriya is a little too shy about wondering how All Might doesn't break himself to pieces every time he makes a tornado just by punching. It's an abnormal incuriosity only explained internally by "All Might is All Might so it must be different."

Things that aren't really explained:
Where is Midoriya's dad? He is mentioned exactly once as being able to breathe fire, but it doesn't seem like he's either dead or divorced given the subject has never come up, and either of those would directly effect Midoriya's emotional state and mentor-student relationship with All Might. Everyone else seems to have two either onscreen or offscreen parents, but we only ever see Midoriya's mom. It's kind of weird given how family relationships are central to Todoroki's character arc, this isn't a series that tends to skate over the importance of family. And no, I'm not in the "Endeavor is Midoriya's Dad" camp since I'm sure that's a theory on the internet somewhere.

- - - - -
As a primary protagonist, Midoriya is relatable, has some flaws, and does suffer consequences for them, which is a very welcome development for an anime/manga series.

Bakugo

I'll start with don't likes because it provides better context for what I like.

Things I don't like:
Attitude: Bakugo's temperament is awful. It is a marvel he has any friends at all when he's a volatile, entitled brat. He is really difficult to like or take seriously as someone popular outside just having a cool, powerful Quirk.
Marty Stu: Bakugo is violent, temperamental, and aggressive. He's also got incredible physical and combat abilities, a strong Quirk, and good grades. He's got stronger plot armor than Midoriya AND All Might.
The few times he gets punished, captured, or chastised always seem to be temporary and of little consequence.
He's the closest thing to a Marty Stu in the series.
Forced Rival: Bakugo seems to be a rival only because he's too opposite of Midoriya, who he has always treated poorly. I guess it works from a plot perspective, but it does seem incredibly forced that someone who has an intact family and every advantage becomes the primary rival of Midoriya simply because he was the childhood bully.

Things I Like:
Capable of Surprising: Despite all of the above, there are moments Bakugo genuinely surprises me with how he acts. It's not all bluster and a pointless front, there is some actual depth behind him. This is more apparent in the later arcs than now, but it's not really a spoiler to point it out without specifics.
Honorable: The fight with Uraraka is one of my favorites in the series, and Bakugo doesn't display any characteristics of what you'd assume he would. Was not expecting as a good a fight as it was, and part of that is Bakugo taking it seriously and fighting on equal terms.
His Family: Bakugo's family dynamic is hilarious. I envy Bakugo's dad, Bakugo's mom is so wild he must have the time of his life, lol.

- - - - -

I don't really like how Bakugo seems like a forced contrast and rival to Midoriya, but he's won character popularity polls convincingly so I guess the Japanese audience sees something different in him. Even though I do think it's forced, he does make a good Blood Knight/Lancelot rival to Midoriya's Paladin/King Arthur and All Might's Mentor/Merlin role.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Deck Knight the "big" manga translation site, mangastream, doesn't cover it, but if you're interested in the weekly installments:
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/directory

provides a beautiful layout for their chapters, timely releases (faster than mangastream!), and it more liked in the scanlation community than mangastream. They also cover one piece!

Deck Knight

There can be only one correct response to this episode.
UNITED STATES OF
SMAAAAASSSHH!!

One thing I love about the anime is it's really making every part of the manga more impactful. Like, I didn't realize how ridiculously torn up Midoriya's arms are until I saw it in the Anime, and All Might's phrase "Farewell, All For One. Farewell, One for All" was something I didn't quite get at the time. He exhausted what was left of One for All to stop All for One. Amazing.

All Might is so awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)