Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

From what I'm getting at, this gaiden game seems to be something like Colosseum and Gale of Darkness but for a casual audience. I wonder how compatibility will work with our beloved turn-based stuff, assuming Bank is even compatible with Let's Go. This one might not be my thing until proven otherwise.

(If this is indeed a side-story in Gen 7, as opposed to being completely new, the CAP metagame can easily remain focused on Ultra until CAP 28.)

I'm glad these aren't going to be the gen 8 games. The idea of gen 8 happening this year had me worried that they'd suffer from being rushed out the door, but now Game Freak will hopefully have the time they need to make them as good as can be expected from the first titles of a generation.

As for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, while I've no plans to buy them myself, I'm sure others will enjoy them.

From what I'm getting at, this gaiden game seems to be something like Colosseum and Gale of Darkness but for a casual audience. I wonder how compatibility will work with our beloved turn-based stuff, assuming Bank is even compatible with Let's Go. This one might not be my thing until proven otherwise.

(If this is indeed a side-story in Gen 7, as opposed to being completely new, the CAP metagame can easily remain focused on Ultra until CAP 28.)
We've seen in the trailer that there are turn based battles against trainers with moves shown and they match up with current learnsets, so I'm not worried about that.

The battles vs trainers seem more or less identical to what we have in the core series (minus the fact that you're a horrible person and can gang up 2v1 vs the poor Bug Catchers).

Just the catching (and potentially leveling / exping / ev training if even present) will be different since it's still a different catching system with no battles.

The battles vs trainers seem more or less identical to what we have in the core series (minus the fact that you're a horrible person and can gang up 2v1 vs the poor Bug Catchers).

Just the catching (and potentially leveling / exping / ev training if even present) will be different since it's still a different catching system with no battles.
We know EXP and levels are present from the trailer/Q&A answers and you can get EXP through catching mons, though it seems like they're not sure how to handle the EXP gain yet for this new system. Probably because you don't actually send anything out in wild encounters. On this note this sounds like it could've been an EXP Share mechanic, makes me think about what items they'll actually be putting in.

Last edited:
Seriously over the continued Kanto pandering in what will likely be a trash game. The only good to come of this is the likelihood of a graphically updated Kanto Region to showcase what the Switch is capable of. That and additional time for GF to get the actual Gen8 games ready. Doubt I’ll be picking this up.

tfw you realize many people in this topic would rather have rushed out generation 8 games that likely would be awful because they are impatient.

Anyway, if there is a enw, better way of doing what is essentially Ev training, then thats only good. EV training is an outdated, annoying thing that doesn't add anything but tedium, and replacing it with a better system can only be good

Last edited by a moderator:
EV training might be "outdated and annoying", but is a core mechanic of Pokemon and very significant as far as competitive battling goes, combined with Natures and IVs.

It's a mechanic that is not going to go away in the main series games, no matter how hard one can want it.

tfw you realize many people in this topic would rather have rushed out generation 8 games that likely would be awful because they are impatient.
I haven’t seen people say that. Personally, I would rather they not waste their time and resources on this when they could be directing them at the real game. I’m also afraid that if this game succeeds it will encourage them to keep going in this direction at the expense of potential good games they could make in the future.

The graphics look nice and maybe the game will be alright, but I hope the public reaction is as negative as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The graphics look nice and maybe the game will be alright, but I hope the public reaction is as negative as possible.
Sort of. Assuming their purpose with PLG is to give people who just bought a Switch and never played a Pokemon game a "easy introduction" to Pokemon games, as well as showcasing the graphic improvements they can now afford on the new hardware, I'm fine with PLG itself.
I don't think the release is a bad idea at all.

What I'm mostly disappointed is having to basically sit 1 more year on gen 7 games, which at this point I lost any will to play after having spent a bit too many hours between SM and USUM :(

The " time+resources" argument is one I see a lot in Smash, when they talk about x character taking up a so-called "slot" that could've been used for character y instead. We don't see the development side and make assumptions of the development as a result. I think GF has had plenty of time and resources to juggle all these projects.

EV training might be "outdated and annoying", but is a core mechanic of Pokemon and very significant as far as competitive battling goes, combined with Natures and IVs.

It's a mechanic that is not going to go away in the main series games, no matter how hard one can want it.
Thats why i said i would like if they replaced with a better and less annoying and outdated system. I never said to completely remove the concept of them at all.

also, wow, what is this garbage:
Like, seriously? You want everyone to hate the game because you don't like it, and some deluded concept that somehow throwing more resources at another game that we know nothing about will somehow have made it come out sooner? Thats pretty pathetic and whiny, and what i said describes people like you perfectly. Honestly, i hope that the game does amazing and the public loves it just to spite you

Last edited:
Thats why i said i would like if they replaced with a better and less annoying and outdated system. I never said to completely remove the concept of them at all.
Realistically, it already became extremely simple / fast in SM/USUM, where you can essentially pump up 6 mons to 252 EV within 10 minutes at most with SoS, and also are able to EV train another 18 or so mons without even being in game at all.

The only way to make it faster at this point would be just playing on a simulator or use hacks at this point....

The only kind of mechanic change I definitely see they should introduce is a way to obtain multiple legendaryes or alter their nature / IV / Evs without needing to start a completely new game, somehow acquire multiples via trade, or flat out hack. (and a way to "negative hypertrain" to 0 IV, i guess)

Like, seriously? You want everyone to hate the game because you don't like it, and some deluded concept that somehow throwing more resources at another game that we know nothing about will somehow have made it come out sooner? Thats pretty pathetic and whiny, and what i said describes people like you perfectly. Honestly, i hope that the game does amazing and the public loves it just to spite you
lol

As the post you quoted said, I don’t even dislike it. I want the future games to be good, so I want the developers to believe the fans like the things that I (and seemingly almost everyone else here) think will make them good. Moving closer to a mobile game —which they’ve given concerning indications of feeling like they should want to do before — would essentially be killing the main games off in favor of something different. I’m against that, so I don’t want a set of games that might be an incremental step in that direction to be received well.

Ah, yeah, i suppose thats fair enough. Still don't like them (and i still don't think there's simple to find, official source of what gives what EVs), but I guess it's not the biggest issue. and yes, not having to reset the game to catch legendaries multiple times would be quite nice, and be basically the same thing as making TMs infinite use so you don't need to keep resetting just to get the one-off TMs

lol

As the post you quoted said, I don’t even dislike it. I want the future games to be good, so I want the developers to believe the fans like the things that I (and seemingly almost everyone else here) think will make them good. Moving closer to a mobile game —which they’ve given concerning indications of feeling like they should want to do before — would essentially be killing the main games off in favor of something different. I’m against that, so I don’t want a set of games that might be an incremental step in that direction to be received well.
I mean, that just sounds more like you having ridiculous and unfounded fears about one game somehow permanently shifting and killing off how the main series works over one single game, but sure. I can't imagine the worry and fear you had when games like the mystery dungeon's came out

Last edited:
lol

I'm not sure how this "moving closer to mobile game" is really that dangerous. The only things that suggest those are the catch mechanic and direct compatibility to GO. And remember that GO was cited to boost Pokemon Sun Moon to their success. I'd say this is a smart tactic to bring the GO casuals to gateway into the next 2019 main games.
I'd probably retract these word if they make the battle mechanic like GO, but fortunately they don't.

Not that I'm fan of many of GO's mechanics too. It's just weird to have this mechanic to be in this pseudo-main game, but....

How exactly is a spinoff game "moving toward a mobile game"?

I don't recall anyone saying that Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Go were going to ruin the main series games by "moving to a mobile game".

Reactions: MZ
How exactly is a spinoff game "moving toward a mobile game"?

I don't recall anyone saying that Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Go were going to ruin the main series games by "moving to a mobile game".
Aren’t they calling this a main series game? Either way, it clearly seems to be blurring the lines between the two. Combined with their statements about how modern audiences want things simpler and less time consuming, etc., I think it’s cause for concern. Anyway, whatever, it’s fine. Maybe I’ll check out the game. I hope people who do will like it. I just don’t want them to be too encouraged to keep moving in this direction.

Aren’t they calling this a main series game? Either way, it clearly seems to be blurring the lines between the two. Combined with their statements about how modern audiences want things simpler and less time consuming, etc., I think it’s cause for concern. .
They still mentioned right away that this is *not* the gen 8 titles they mentioned at their Directs, and that one is a completely separated project.

There's really only ONE thing that's iffing me... I don't want to be forced to pretend to be a 10 year old irl and "throw the pokeball" with the joycon. In the interview they say you still have to move the Switch even in handheld mode.

That's really... no, I don't want that :|

In the interview they say you still have to move the Switch even in handheld mode.
That's the only thing I can say so far that I dislike. You want us to use the Joy-Con to throw the Poke Ball in docked mode? Well, not exactly the best thing but it's not exactly an uncommon thing to do.

Wanting us to do the same in HANDHELD mode? I can't even imagine how cumbersome that can be. Really hoping for an alternate control scheme.

if this isn't a main Series game I guess I'll will have to accept that this was probably scrapped:puff:
20180523_153322.jpg

I found this whenever I was hacking around the Pokemon website

Positives:
Like the graphics so far. Captures the 'HD Kanto' feeling quite well.
Following Pokemon? Hell yes.
Multiplayer in theory is quite a nice concept.
Customizable Pikachu and Eevee is cool I suppose.
Its easier to encounter the Pokemon you want thanks to them being clearly visible, which is one bonus of the Pokemon Go-styled mechanics. It also adds quite a bit to the immersion.
It seems like the main player characters now have a bit more emotion to them which is something I feel the Alola games should've done.

Negatives:
The catching mechanics are dumbed down thanks to this essentially being full-game Pokemon Go. There's no real risk involved outside of the Pokemon possibly just running away or you running out of Pokeballs. Wild encounters are fun because the Pokemon is trying to fight you back while you catch it, so you also run the risk of whiting out or having your Pokemon KOed.
Seemingly FireRed and LeafGreen style of remake, as in 'CAN'T EVOLVE YOUR GOLBAT UNTIL YOU BEAT THE GAME HERP DE DURR'. Still, with Tangela and Lickitung, how are they gonna handle the 'level up with a certain move' style of evolutions?
Pokeball accessory is tacky as hell and its novelty will likely run out quickly.
Having a 2nd Kanto remake in general is kinda a dumb idea, even if its nice to have an HD Pokemon Region.
Motion controls, even in switch mode.

For the record, I WAS personally annoyed by things like the Nugget Bridge reference in the Alola games (The Kantonian Gym from USUM not so much because they at least changed the mechanics a bit (with a fee plus there's no specific type) and its explained as more of a tribute rather than literally having Pokemon you can't catch like Pidgey and Weedle being used by Trainers for some unexplained reason). This game is its own contained thing rather than shoehorned references so I wouldn't say its EXACTLY like Malie Garden Nugget Bridge or Mega Kanto starters. Plus with it being its own contained game, and the announcement of Gen 8 games in 2019, both notable sides of the Pokemon fandom get their own game. (With this being for the casual Pokemon Go players (but wouldn't it be just a little bit nice to have SOME Johto and Hoenn Pokemon if that's the case?))

Seemingly FireRed and LeafGreen style of remake, as in 'CAN'T EVOLVE YOUR GOLBAT UNTIL YOU BEAT THE GAME HERP DE DURR'. Still, with Tangela and Lickitung, how are they gonna handle the 'level up with a certain move' style of evolutions?
They aren't. Later-generation evolutions are not in the game, period.

I have a feeling a lot of people will buy or not buy it based on the actual price.

My thought (which I noticed is shared by a fair amount of the people I talked with so far) is that if PLG comes out at a full game price (so 45 bucks or even 60 seeing it's a Switch game) with no other benefit at all it quickly hits the "why would i pay that much for it", while a much lesser price of 20ish would even get me and others to buy/check it out if anything to kill time while waiting gen 8.
For me, $40 is what I’m hoping for. That’s usually what other core Pokémon titles cost. I’m just gonna be hesitant to get it if it’s $60. That frankly is way too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)