Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Also, I've started hoarding Kanto mons just for this game if I get it. For anyone who has Pokemon Go: the world is fucking infested with Alolan Exeggutor atm! Having a Dragon-type halfway through the game (that's when you can transfer Go Pokemon. BTW its confirmed that its a one-way transfer, and Go Park is just sorta like the pal park from DP) sounds pretty cool to me, since the only Fairies to worry about are what... Wigglytuff and Clefable?
I don't want to come and ruin your enjoyment but I feel the need to remind you that A-Exeggutor is 4x weak to Ice, and Ice as far as gen 1 pokedex goes isn't terrible :P

I don't want to come and ruin your enjoyment but I feel the need to remind you that A-Exeggutor is 4x weak to Ice, and Ice as far as gen 1 pokedex goes isn't terrible :P
while they could shuffle things around (at the very least ponyta & venonat are earlier), ice is generally not very common to fight. You'd mostly be fighting things with ice moves on the way from Fuchsia to Cinnabar.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's true but at least a lot of them are slow water-types!

Then again Alolan Exeggutor is slower than them anyways lol...

Oh well all the more reason to transfer it with a Magneton then or something :P

Is it me or Alolan Marowak could have a field day in this game? There are only three Dark-type evolutionary lines and we don't know if they are going to be used by trainers (as they are Alolan forms) and it otherwise has a really neat typing, as Rock-types practically vanish from the game by the time Cubone appears in the wild.

Is it me or Alolan Marowak could have a field day in this game? There are only three Dark-type evolutionary lines and we don't know if they are going to be used by trainers (as they are Alolan forms) and it otherwise has a really neat typing, as Rock-types practically vanish from the game by the time Cubone appears in the wild.
You still have to worry about Rock, Water, and Ground types. I’m still kind of annoyed that there no Pokémon other than Gen 1. It’s not like Go players aren’t aware of Gen 2 and 3

I’m still kind of annoyed that there no Pokémon other than Gen 1. It’s not like Go players aren’t aware of Gen 2 and 3
The choice to only have gen 1 mons is probably on the line of wanting to keep PLG as a introductory game.

Maintaining a low number of mons (151 in this case) is probably ideal in order to not have a potential new player overwhelmed.

After all, everything points in the direction of PLG being intended to introduce people who never played a actual Pokemon game before to Pokemon RPGs.

The choice to only have gen 1 mons is probably on the line of wanting to keep PLG as a introductory game.

Maintaining a low number of mons (151 in this case) is probably ideal in order to not have a potential new player overwhelmed.

After all, everything points in the direction of PLG being intended to introduce people who never played a actual Pokemon game before to Pokemon RPGs.
At the very least, though I don't see how adding the cross-gen evos into it would confuse people. That's only about 30 (less, actually, if we exclude babies) more, and the bulk of them are already in Go. Idon't see newcomers being intimidated by ~180 pokemon, or even 250 if they at least included the johto pokemon.

I really don't think the 151 only thing was motivated solely by "let's keep it simple", to put it another way.

I really don't think the 151 only thing was motivated solely by "let's keep it simple", to put it another way.
lot of "gen 2+" evols have different-ish evolution methods, from items equipped (which iirc aren't supposed to be in PLG) to friendship/happiness which also might very well not be present, would explain why the choice to ignore evolutions of existing mons.

lot of "gen 2+" evols have different-ish evolution methods, from items equipped (which iirc aren't supposed to be in PLG) to friendship/happiness which also might very well not be present, would explain why the choice to ignore evolutions of existing mons.
If they really wanted to simplify it to that extent they could have just gotten rid of those methods (aka something they should do anyway....), changed how they worked (metal coat acting as a stone) or added extra methods.

I mean, like, Go is super casual friendly and has these things (Scizor evolves with enough candy while having a metal coat). But Go can't even send those Pokemon to LG? That's ridiculous, even for simplicity.

Here's a list of all the Cross Gen Evos/Babies for Kanto Mons. Note that the Pokedex order is off because this is all off the top of my head (and that's freaking sad). Mons in Bold will be Mons that are not in GO, which Let's GO is obviously based on.
  1. Pichu
  2. Crobat
  3. Cleffa
  4. Igglybuff
  5. Bellossom
  6. Slowking
  7. Porgyon2
  8. Porygon-Z
  9. Espeon
  10. Umbreon
  11. Leafeon
  12. Glaceon
  13. Sylveon
  14. Kingdra
  15. Steelix
  16. Lickilicky
  17. Magby
  18. Magmortar
  19. Smoochum
  20. Elekid
  21. Electivire
  22. Magnezone
  23. Tangrowth
  24. Politoed
  25. Mime Jr.
  26. Tyrogue
  27. Hitmontop
  28. Munchlax
  29. Rhyperior
  30. Happiny
  31. Blissey
  32. Scizor

As you can see, that's only 32 Pokemon. In other words, the proper Kanto Dex should be 183. I personally think it should be closer to 276 since Johto Mons should be in the Dex of the region that it's right fucking next to, but I guess a quarter away from 300 might be a bit too big. And only 0.4% of that list isn't in GO yet, or 0.07% if you want to go regional. This is laziness and, once again, Gen Wun pandering for the sake of attempting to keep that authentic Gen 1 experience, just like FRLG and HGSS tried (and failed to do, might I add).

I would also like to add my opinion that younger players shouldn't be treated to the hells of using garbage such as Golbat because they really wanted a Crobat only to find out that these stronger Cross Gen evolutions have been omitted. I honestly still have PTSD of this happening to me in Leaf Green version. If I'm not mistaken, HGSS tried to do this as well, flat out omitting Mons such as Magnezone, Yanmega and Mime Jr. just to, again, keep that authentic Gen 2 experience. If I wanted to get the full experience of Gen 1 and Gen 2, I would just play freaking RGBY and GSC again. It almost makes me not like FRLG and HGSS in comparison to the older games because Game Freak isn't actively attempting to improve the games just for the sake of pandering.

Besides, none of these evolutions are really complicated in the slightest.
  • It would be fucking insanity to get rid of Friendship when it's become a core mechanic to the game. I would be extremely disappointed if this was removed. Besides, what Game Freak really should have been doing since Friendship became a thing was giving us an indicator of their Friendship value on the status screen, so I can't really see why Friendship is so "complicated" for the rugrats.
  • A Magnetic Field could just as easily be on Route 10 or the Power Plant. You know, the place where Magnemite and Magneton can be caught anyways?
  • In the case of the Eeveelutions, all of them can be simplified.
    • Espeon can be compatible with a Sun or Dawn Stone.
    • Umbreon can be compatible with a Moon or Dusk Stone.
    • Leafeon can be compatible with a Leaf Stone. Or, a Mossy Rock could be placed in Viridian Forest.
    • Glaceon can be compatible with the newly introduced Ice Stone that's going to be in the games anyways because Alola Forms are confirmed for these games. Or else, the Ice Rock could probably be placed in Seafoam Islands. Can't really think of a better place for it.
    • If Amie/Refresh aren't in the games then Sylveon could either be given a Shiny Stone (because that's the only other Stone that doesn't have a corresponding Eeveelution right now) or something else could be thought of.
  • The babies that require stupid conditions like Munchlax could just have those conditions removed. Granted, the Route 5 Day Care will probs be limited to a single Mon for the sake of not including Breeding, which also isn't particularly complicated unless you want to get into Egg Moves and whatnot, but still.
  • The Trade Evolutions that require certain Items could just be required to level up while holding the Item, as I think that's how it should have been in the beginning but I digress.
  • The Hitmons need a complete overhaul since their evolution methods are fucking stupid anyways. Not sure how to handle them.

It's honestly redundant to me to feel the need to water down freaking Gen 1. They're the most simple games in this franchise, including spin offs like Puzzle League and Challenge, what do they need to be simplified for? It's rather insulting that a franchise for the kiddies is apparently still too complicated. If these games aren't for my demographic, that's fine, I can just skip them just like I skipped USUM (although that was for different reasons), but that doesn't mean I can't share my disappointment and peeves. If anything, I'd say that the word from someone who's been playing since Yellow such as I has weight to it. But if Game Freak wants to sucker in new players with a $60 price tag on a game that sounds even less content-packed than RGBY, which were already kind of skimpy games, then I'll be extremely disappointed, because as it is, this game honestly sounds like a sell out, which saddens me since Game Freak used to make their games as best as they could. Or maybe I'm just an old man in comparison to the target demographic and I'm just telling the rugrats to get off my lawn, idk.

Last edited:
I get the fears, but frankly we should wait and see what happens. Hell, people complain about power creep making the new games way too easy, and without megas and Z crystals, this could be the hardest game in a while. The only thing I 100% think sucks is Gen 1 only. But who knows, perhaps there’s more Pokémon post game or something. Plus, if this leads to an amazing Gen VIII, then I’m on board

I think the most amusing thing is just how aware gamefreak is. They announced during the announcement of the ultra games (trash) that they were working on the switch. With the announcement of this game they basically went: "don't worry guys the actual pokemon game that's worthy of being called pokemon switch is next year."

Basically what I'm saying if the 2019 titles don't blow away all expectations with them being so aware then you know they cut corners. To put something on the shelf. Just please no experimental bullshit that gens 6-7 were.

I think the most amusing thing is just how aware gamefreak is. They announced during the announcement of the ultra games (trash) that they were working on the switch. With the announcement of this game they basically went: "don't worry guys the actual pokemon game that's worthy of being called pokemon switch is next year."

Basically what I'm saying if the 2019 titles don't blow away all expectations with them being so aware then you know they cut corners. To put something on the shelf. Just please no experimental bullshit that gens 6-7 were.
I don't see how one flows into the other.

It is super super super easy to see that these might alienate and worry long term fans. We already have an example of this with what happened with Metroid. I guarantee that had they announed Samus Returns alongside Federation Forces, the reception to it would have been much lighter
Showing awareness to this doesn't mean they're going to meet every single expectation , it just means they dont want to spend the next year dealing with potential backlash.

They didn't make any other grand statements, just basic reassurance that the next titles are what you'd expect in line of XY, ORAS, SM, USUM and not the casual-focused mainline titles currently on display. More than gen 1 pokemon will be there, EVs will be there, wild battles will be there, etcetera.

I don't see how one flows into the other.

It is super super super easy to see that these might alienate and worry long term fans. We already have an example of this with what happened with Metroid. I guarantee that had they announed Samus Returns alongside Federation Forces, the reception to it would have been much lighter
Showing awareness to this doesn't mean they're going to meet every single expectation , it just means they dont want to spend the next year dealing with potential backlash.

They didn't make any other grand statements, just basic reassurance that the next titles are what you'd expect in line of XY, ORAS, SM, USUM and not the casual-focused mainline titles currently on display. More than gen 1 pokemon will be there, EVs will be there, wild battles will be there, etcetera.
What I took from it is that they do pay attention, even backlash. Sure they won't meet every expectation, because then they can't split it into two/three/four versions. But it's enough for me to say "yes we are a company and we need to make money. But we do pay attention."

What I took from it is that they do pay attention, even backlash. Sure they won't meet every expectation, because then they can't split it into two/three/four versions. But it's enough for me to say "yes we are a company and we need to make money. But we do pay attention."
My point is that extrapolating that the next games will meet/blow away everyone's expectations and tha if the next games don't meet those they obviously cut corners to rush it out the door all because they did the most basic possible room reading on reaction to their experimental casual mainline title is ridiculous.

Especially when literally the only expectation set is its like previous games. That's it! That is the entirety of expectations! The absolute minimum assurances that, no, all the things we're stripping out here will not be the standard moving forward.

If your expectations are anything akin to:
-harder difficulty
-extra regions
-hundreds of new pokemon
-leader rematches
-rematches, in general
-more fleshed out story
-less story (some people want like none)
-open world nature
-skippable cutscenes
-anything more than a battle tower in the post game as battle facilities
-any thing else that goes against/fixes what you (either you specifically or the general audience you) considered bad in gen <take your pick>
there is still a good chance that, no, they won't meet that. because gamefreak gonna gamefreak

• The Hitmons need a complete overhaul since their evolution methods are fucking stupid anyways. Not sure how to handle them.
  • Have Dojo dude give you tyrogue as reward
  • Have other Dojo dude offer to teach your mons Mega Kick, Mega Punch and Rapid Spin
  • Remember to allow tyrogue to learn these moves in case he's a stupid barren movepool no TMs allowed critter
  • Tyrogue evolves starting lv 20 depending on which of these three moves is leading
This would entail having a new NPC tutor each game. But who's counting. Besides, rapid spin tutor would be a nice apology for having us fuck around EVs for nearly two decades

If those moves were in the base moveset it'd not really need a tutor, just the usual move relearner :P
Thought about it, but since Mega Kick and Mega Punch are tutor moves in Kanto remakes anyway, I thought I'd kill two pidgeys with one rock through

Besides, it we start changing level up movepools to actually make sense where would the madness end? Next you'll argue Victini should have access to his damn signature move without the need for Japan exclusive events. That's crazy talk

So apparently the game will "simplify things with how you level up, raise & train your Pokémon", and wild battles are gone in favor of Pokemon GO-style catching.

Because what I want in my 300€ console, 55€ games is LESS gameplay than what my 120€ console, 40€ games offer.

BRB, I'm going to go to a Karate class with my PS4 tied behind my back, because apparently that's what they think we want to do with our expensive appliances.
Oh, please, be honest with yourself. Maybe there's that one weird guy, but nobody actually enjoys wild pokemon battles, otherwise you wouldn't have 999 Super Repels in your bag. All most people do in wild battles—when they do get into one, that is—is press the Run button as fast as possible, because get this: they're annoying and largely pointless. Heck, I'm thrilled that they've finally moved away from random to trigger encounters and hopefully this is something they'll implement in the core series as well. And yes, the whole point of the Switch is that you can take it to your Karate class with you if you want to, you do realize that's what a portable system is for right? I don't think you have any idea of how moronic this last bit of your comment sounds.

I didn't like this game at all at first, but the more I think about it the more I'm warming up to it.

Btw, doesn't the new male MC look a whole lot like Ash from the Everyone's Story movie? Maybe the new exclusive pokemon will be shown in the movie?

Oh, please, be honest with yourself. Maybe there's that one weird guy, but nobody actually enjoys wild pokemon battles, otherwise you wouldn't have 999 Super Repels in your bag. All most people do in wild battles—when they do get into one, that is—is press the Run button as fast as possible, because get this: they're annoying and largely pointless. Heck, I'm thrilled that they've finally moved away from random to trigger encounters and hopefully this is something they'll implement in the core series as well.
THIS.

There's one big reason pretty much everyone loved the prompt to reuse an item that was introduced in BW2 - being able to use Repels repeatedly to avoid encountering Pokemon you don't want. And while one can Run from them... it's a waste of time, and this is assuming the Pokemon you encounter doesn't have a trapping ability, because then you will waste more time.

While completely axing wild battles is not the ideal solution (because competitive training and item farming, though they aren't present in this game), no fighting and having wild Pokemon in the overworld is a very welcome feature to streamline the whole process of "go to a route, catch what you want, avoid everything else" part of the main story.

Oh, please, be honest with yourself. Maybe there's that one weird guy, but nobody actually enjoys wild pokemon battles, otherwise you wouldn't have 999 Super Repels in your bag. All most people do in wild battles—when they do get into one, that is—is press the Run button as fast as possible, because get this: they're annoying and largely pointless. Heck, I'm thrilled that they've finally moved away from random to trigger encounters and hopefully this is something they'll implement in the core series as well. And yes, the whole point of the Switch is that you can take it to your Karate class with you if you want to, you do realize that's what a portable system is for right? I don't think you have any idea of how moronic this last bit of your comment sounds.

I didn't like this game at all at first, but the more I think about it the more I'm warming up to it.

Btw, doesn't the new male MC look a whole lot like Ash from the Everyone's Story movie? Maybe the new exclusive pokemon will be shown in the movie?
Call me whatever, but I DO prefer quickball->t-wave->falseswipe->timerball wild battles to "slide your finger across the screen" ones. And if I wasn't the only one, then the Safari zone wouldn't have been retired, because that's basically what you're getting in this game.

Okay. I want to share my thoughts on these games but I haven't had the time to do it until now. So... Let's Go! Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that.

They had to announce them on a Wednesday of all days. That is usually the busiest day of the week for me. Especially the Wednesday of this week. It's not the first time something important related to Pokemon has happened on a Wednesday either since I remember that they announced OR/AS on a Wednesday and released S/M (in Europe) on a Wednesday as well. But it doesn't really matter, it just means I get to post this two days later.

It feels like they announced the press conference for the reveal completely out of nowhere. How many hours in advance was it? It can't have been that many either way. And it aired in the middle of the night for me so I had no chance to see it (I was sleeping anyway). I haven't watched the entire conference afterwards since I have no interest in seeing it all, I don't have time either. I have only watched the trailer and read about the games on some sites (mostly Serebii and the official Pokemon site) so feel free to correct me if I have gotten anything wrong.

I had looked into the leaks about the games so the reveal wasn't a big shock or surprise for me. I was more or less prepared for this. I had had enough time to think about the possibility of these games being reality. In a way, that's a bit of a disappointment since I like being surprised with the reveal of new games, the most notable ones in later generations being B2/W2, OR/AS and US/UM. I fear that the times when we get such surprise reveals might be a thing of the past since leaks seem to happen a lot more nowadays compared to just a few years ago.

As for my general impression of the games... I'm not impressed. I'm not interested in them. I'm not looking forward to them. I was never a huge fan of the idea of another set of Kanto remakes to start with. I was honestly disgusted when I first saw someone post that they wanted another set of Kanto remakes on another forum, this must have been in 2014. Since then, I have grown more tolerant of the idea but I'm still not happy about it. Especially a new Kanto remake which doesn't even feature all current Pokemon.

I want to share my thoughts on everything we know about the games so far. There are some things I like, some things I'm neutral towards, and some things I don't like. I tried to be constructive regarding all of this but I'm not sure if I succeeded.

- Graphically, the games look neat. At first I felt that the graphical style reminded me of something, but I couldn't figure out what. Then I realized that they remind me of Pokemon Go. Which I guess isn't that strange since these games are connected to it. I'm really happy that they are keeping the cartoonish style which I have grown to appreciate over the years. I don't want them to make a game in a semi-realistic style since I think that looks terrible for a Pokemon game, most fan art I have seen of semi-realistic Pokemon does not appeal to me at all. I hope they'll keep the cartoonish style forever.
- Pikachu is riding on the trainer's shoulder, that's actually cool.
- I dig the new encounter system. I really dislike random encounters, it is something I want them to remove and replace with something that's better and more modern. If this new encounter system is executed well enough, I hope it replaces random encounters in the main series from now on.
- The multiplayer aspects look great, and it seems like the games will have Double Battles to an extent since you can at least have 2 vs 1 battles against in-game trainers when playing together with someone else.
- The games will get another true worldwide release, which is really good.
- I like how they gave us an actual trailer with lots of content, as well as additional information on the official site. This way, we know exactly what kind of game this is. I definitely prefer this sort of reveal as opposed to the "reveal games, show no real information about them until a few months later" which they did for OR/AS, S/M and US/UM. The Let's Go games are advertised very well from the start, which is good.
- The covers for the games are really cute!
- Pikachu is on your shoulder, but Eevee is on your head? That's a bit weird.
- The designs for the player characters are decent. The boy reminds me of Red and the girls looks a bit like Hilda.
- Are they using full-scale or chibi models for the player characters (and people in general) in the games? I can't tell. I have grown to appreciate the full-scale models after playing Gen 7 so that's what I want to see from future games too. There is just something that feels weird about the people in the trailer, especially the player characters. I think the heads for the player characters look a bit too big. Overall, I have a hard time telling what style they are going with.
- Not sure how to feel about the changed capture system. It is more realistic, but it just feels so weird. And no battles against wild Pokemon, just captures. How are you supposed to level grind? Unless you can rebattle trainers, or if they even keep level grinding relevant anymore. I guess I'm one of the few who actually likes level grinding as long as there are good training spots in the games. I tend to find it really enjoyable if it is executed well, Gen 5 & 6 did this the very best.
- From the battles in the trailer, I couldn't see any moves that were introduced after Gen 1. The moves Pikachu and Bulbasaur have doesn't match their level-up moves from Gen 7 either (and Pikachu only has three moves). So this might mean there won't be any moves introduced after Gen 1 in the games. I also wonder if these games will feature other mechanics introduced after Gen 1 like Abilities, Shiny Pokemon, breeding, Mega Evolution, Dark/Steel/Fairy-types and Z-moves. Maybe the types, but I would guess not for the other things.
- Will things like EVs, IVs and Natures be in the games? I guess we'll get to know eventually. They said that they wanted to make a simpler game so I guess not. I really like all the complicated things they have added in the newer generations, but I wouldn't have minded a somewhat more simple Pokemon game... if it had at least featured all Pokemon.
- Poke Ball Plus. Could be cool but I'm personally not that interested. It reminds me of the Pokewalker... which I didn't care much for either.
- Customizing your starter? Interesting but I don't care much.
- Did they confirm anywhere that this "Special Pokemon" at the end of the trailer is a new Pokemon? It seems so vague to me. It if is a new Pokemon, then that's really cool as I'm all for new Pokemon.... but not if it comes at the cost of the majority of the old Pokemon not even being in the games at all.
- Will these games have any Battle Facilities? I would guess not since neither R/B/Y or FR/LG had any real Battle Facilities. These games also seem to be mostly targeted to a casual audience which would probably not be interested in hard post-game battles. As for me, I am not interested in battling in Battle Facilities with only Kanto Pokemon so I don't really care either way.
- Story and characters. Will they improve upon past Kanto games or will things stay the same? Not that it matters much to me since I realized after playing Gen 7 that story and characters aren't that important to me in Pokemon games, there are several other things I care much more about.
- I wonder what these games will have when it comes to post-game and content in general. Probably not much, I'm definitely not expecting them to have more than R/B/Y.
- Somewhat unrelated, but I'm looking forward to the Pokemon Adventures chapter based on these games (I assume there will be one unless it is stated otherwise). I wonder if they will create new characters or if they will bring back Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. Maybe they will do both, have new characters with the older main characters appearing as well. Maybe Yellow will get a big role since these games are Yellow remakes? I'm looking forward to it either way.
- The games will only feature the Kanto Pokemon plus some Alola Pokemon (or Alola forms?). My number one biggest issue with these games. A Pokemon game that doesn't feature all existing Pokemon is not something I'm interested in. At least if the only ones it features are the Kanto Pokemon. If the games had featured newer Pokemon, such as the Alola and Kalos Pokemon, I might have been more interested.
- This also means that there won't be a National Pokedex in the games. I so hope it makes a triumphant return in Gen 8, but I am not expecting it.
- These games are just more fan pandering to Kanto and Gen 1. I wish I didn't have to say this, but I'm really tired of seeing the Kanto Pokemon everywhere because it feels like they are constantly getting the spotlight when it comes to anything Pokemon-related recently. Pokemon from the other generations/regions doesn't get anywhere near as much attention. I like the Kanto Pokemon but they are my least favorite bunch and I am just not interested in a game which features them and little to nothing else.
- The games are a Yellow remake which I'm not sure happy about since Yellow is my second least favorite game in the series. Though I don't dislike it, I just liked R/B and FR/LG better when it comes to the Kanto games. And since these games are a Yellow remake, I guess this means we won't see things from FR/LG such as the Sevii Islands, which I really liked.
- I guess I should say that I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon remakes in general, I prefer first pairs, third versions, alternate versions and sequels. That said, I still liked FR/LG and OR/AS. I just like other types of Pokemon games better than remakes.
- A Yellow remake means that these games will take place in Kanto. I find Kanto to be a rather boring region, it needs to be spiced up and changed to become interesting again. Which I don't think will happen since if they change it too much, it will not be Kanto anymore. And too much change means they might scare away former Pokemon fans who are obviously among the people they are targeting with these games.
- Nostalgia. I don't like nostalgia when it comes to Pokemon. Most of the time, at least. Unfortunately, the recent nostalgia appeal that has been pushed during the last two generations has been making my interest in the series fall. My interest in Pokemon peaked during 2011-2014. Since then, it hasn't been as high. Though I still enjoyed OR/AS and S/M, I'm also currently enjoying US/UM. Still, the series hasn't quite gone in the direction I wanted it to during the last few years. I never thought I would lose interest in Pokemon after the greatness of Gen 5 and X/Y but sadly, that's becoming the case. I kind of hope that these games will be the end of the fan pandering to Kanto and Gen 1 once and for all, but sadly, I'm not expecting that to be happen. The worst case scenario is that these games will be the first step to ruining Pokemon with nostalgia once and for all. I don't want that to happen, but I'm more or less mentally prepared for that to become the case in the future.
- In addition to the above, I read a very interesting discussion in the Unpopular Opinions thread recently. Starting with Codraroll's post here and ending with Rapti's post here. The main points from that discussion was that many current Pokemon fans are tired of the nostalgia appeal in the series, but the games still have a lot of nostalgia appeal because it sells... although only in a very short term. I have never played a Mega Man game and I don't know much about the series, but I have no doubts that what Rapti said in the last post here is true.
- The games are released too soon after US/UM, the former will only have been out for a year when these games hit the world. I think they need to space out the game releases more, a year and a half is pretty much perfect for me. Not that it matters this time, but it probably does for the future. I have no such expectations though, the games sell too well for them to not sell a game every year. I'm still somewhat surprised they had a break in 2015.
- I can't say I like the cartoonish voices for the Pokemon in these games. After watching Pokemon Generations, I have grown to appreciate the more realistic Pokemon sounds, that's something I would like to see in the games as well. I'm also surprised at how they are pronouncing Eevee. I have always thought it was supposed to just be "EV", not the way they are saying it in the trailer. It sounds so weird to me.
- The games being connected to Pokemon Go means nothing for me. I don't play Go. I don't have it. I don't even have a smartphone to play it on. At present, Go does not interest me nor motivate me to get a smartphone either. I'm still missing over 400 reasons to play it (don't know how many Pokemon they have yet to add to the game, don't really care either). Once it gets up to Gen 5/6/7 though, I might be interested... but right now? No.
- These games have the following Pokemon feature. Unpopular opinion, but I don't like this. At least not the way it was done in HG/SS. I thought it was decent in Yellow and D/P/P though. I found it to be very poorly executed in HG/SS. Not sure how it will be here. It doesn't seem to be optional either since I can't find anywhere in the trailer where there are no Pokemon following the trainer (or Pikachu/Eevee being on their shoulder/head). The only exception seems to be during multiplayer mode where the second player doesn't have a following Pokemon.
- Who exactly are the target audience for the games? "Your first Adventure in a new style", seems like a very weird thing to say. Are they specifically targeting those who started with a Kanto game? What about those who started with another game than R/B/Y or FR/LG, do they not count? I know I'm overanalyzing things but it just seems so weird and I don't know what to make out of it. I guess the target audiences are the following: former Pokemon fans, Kanto fans, people who became fans through Go, and casual players.

In the end, the majority of these things make no difference for me. Because I have decided to not get these games. I'm not interested in them and it is very clear that I'm not among the target audience for them. I have never been this uninterested in a main series Pokemon game before. I was rather unhyped for OR/AS four years ago and didn't get them until 2015/16, but my interest in them was still much higher than it is for these two.

I am still going to get a Switch though. I made that decision long ago, before it was revealed that main series Pokemon games would be released on the console. There are more than 10 Switch games I'm interested in, which is far more than enough for me to get one. The top three are Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2, one of them will be my debut game for the console.

I also have a lot left to do in US/UM, then I have considered going back to some older Pokemon games to do some of the relatively few things I have left to do in them as well. With all of this, I will be fine in terms of both Pokemon and video games in general for a long while forward, probably more than a year. Then I also need a break from the yearly Pokemon game releases. The alternative is of course to not get the new games, and with these games being the new ones, I'm okay with that.

Then they revealed that yet more new main series games are coming to the Switch next year. Now this is something I'm looking forward to. Hopefully another year of development means that these upcoming games might become even better. Though, the critical and cynical side of me is worried that these games might contain even more fan pandering to Kanto and Gen 1. Especially if the Let's Go games sell well... which I guess they will. After all, nostalgia sells... in the short term. I sort of want the Let's Go games to flop in terms of sales, but I highly doubt it will happen. If anything, it will probably be the opposite, they might even become the new best-selling games in the series. It feels sad to say, but at this point, I'm worried about the future of Pokemon.

It also appears that the Switch games for next year are what they were talking about last year, not Let's Go? Really weird. I used to think that Game Freak/TPCi/whoever handles the advertising for Pokemon had gotten good at it, but now I don't know anymore.

Then there's Pokemon Quest. I'm not interested in it either since it appears to only feature Kanto Pokemon as well. Though the graphical style is rather charming as it looks like a mix of Lego and Minecraft. That's all I have to say about it.

In the end, I'm feeling melancholic about this whole thing. Some parts of the games look good and I want to try to be interested in them, but there are just too many things that prevents me from having any major interest in them. The covers look so cute, but the content just doesn't appeal to me at all. Still, I'm okay with this in the end. I'm not getting the games since they don't interest me... and that's fine.

So yeah. That's it. I had a lot to say, especially since this is about a game pair I'm not even going to get. Sorry. I just wanted to write down all of my feelings and thoughts regarding this. Not sure if I'll look at any more trailers since I have already made my decision. I will probably not post here anymore either unless I find it necessary to comment on something or participate in a discussion about something related to these games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)