Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
That all depends how many types we add. I still think whether it’s 1 more or 6 more that we have a large amount of them resisted by ice.

Scizor, Pawniard, Bisharp, Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash, Kartana are all steel types that have a strong connection with blades. I don't see much reason to change the Grass/Steel matchup at the moment.

I don't believe that Heart should be super effective against Electric. Yes Hearts have a small electrical pulse but it is an insignificantly tiny amount compared to the amount of electricity that Electric types can produce. This change seems like it would be just for the sake of balance and grasping at straws flavour and logic wise. There will be better opportunities to to balance Electric types in future slates.
Regardless of whether or not you want to change the matchup, scissors are only blades if you watch too much anime, and Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Gallade, Virizion, Terrakion, Cobalion and Keldeo all disagree with you anyway

Regardless of whether or not you want to change the matchup, scissors are only blades if you watch too much anime, and Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Gallade, Virizion, Terrakion, Cobalion and Keldeo all disagree with you anyway
I don't get what anime has to do with scissors but the diversity of blade related Pokemon could make it an interesting type for this mod.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I would like to make a little suggestion for balancing;

I think we can all agree that rock is a really crappy defensive typing. The only OU rock-typed pokemon is Tyranitar (which uses the boost given from sandstorm, so he's not that much of a defensive mess), and to be honest that's kinda sad. Even ice type has two pokemons in Mamoswine and Alolan Ninetales (tho they might be UUBL now)!
Another issue that exists in OU is Stealth Rock. Don't get me wrong, it's good — too good, actually. When building a team, you always have to consider those whatsoever you're doing. Every team runs it and every team needs a defogger or a rapid spinner to counter it. Stealth Rock are overcentralizing the meta so much that some pokemon are litterally in PU just because of those (think Articuno)!
Here's a solutions to address boh issues. As poison types absorb toxic spikes, rock types should absorb sleath rock upon switch-in. This would give a better niche to many rock types without having to mess up too much with the typing chart, and would prevent stealth rock to be overused (da dum tshhhhh) as much as they are right now. What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Official post

Sorry for double-postong, but discussion ends in 12 hours. I don't have time to do it right now.

I have a suggestion to nerf stealth rock: require two layers to deal the amount of damage that one layer currently does. That is, stealth rock can be used twice; the first layer takes away 1/16, multiplied by rock's effectiveness, of an opposing pokemon's HP when they switch in, and the second layer is needed to reach the current 1/8. While sr can still break sash or sturdy, the first layer is relatively harmless to most pokemon (although quad weak pokemon still take 25%). Hazard setters now need to decide whether to choose SR over Spikes if they can only run one -- a layer of spikes deals 1/8 rather than 1/16 to most targets. In addition, I agree with Gravity Monkey's suggestion of rock types absorbing stealth rock on switchin.

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Official post

Discussion votes! You can vote for any of those changes:
Ice resisting Heart
Ice resisting Flying
Poison super-effective against Heart
Heart and Electric SE against each other
Ice resists Ground
Rock resists itself
Fossil Fang — Rock type Crunch clone
Flying neutral against Grass
Flying super-effective against ground
Bug neutral against Fairy, Poison and Ghost
Air Strike — 80~90 BP physical move, to be discussed in the next balancing slate
Spectral Gash — 85~90 BP physical move, to be discussed in the next balancing slate
Grass resisting Steel
Steel no longer resists Psychic
Reduce accuracy of toxic used by non-poison types
Power Gem --> 90 BP, 10% chance to drop opponent SpD
Focus Miss, Hydro Pump --> 110 BP, 85% acc
Shadow Claw --> 80 BP, keep high crit rate
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP
Moonblast --> 90 BP, 20% chance to drop opponent SpA
Dragon Pulse --> 90 BP
Rock-type Hurricane clone, 100% acc in sand
Poison-type Draco Meteor clone
Psychic-type Superpower clone
Psychic super-effective against Steel
Heart super-effective against: Poison, Electric, Water
Heart not very effective Against: Ghost, Steel, Rock, Psychic, Fairy, Ice
Rock absorbs stealth rocks
2 layers of stealth rocks

I agree this is a bit akward, considering we don't actually have enough matchups to complete heart type. I guess we could vote for matchups submitted earlier, in the new typing slate. Be sure that I'll change how things work next time, I think I kinda messed how I want the mod organized. But for now, vote!

Votes:
Ice resisting Flying
Ice resists Ground
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP

Also disagree with creating move clones. This takes away what makes each type unique by taking away archetypal roles of each type. I'd rather see new moves created that are consistent with the theme of its type.

Ice resisting Heart
Ice resisting Flying
Ice resists Ground
Rock resists itself
Fossil Fang - Rock type Crunch clone
Flying super-effective against Ground
Air Strike
Spectral Gash
Power Gem changes

Ice resisting Heart
Ice resisting Flying
Rock resists itself
Bug neutral against Fairy
Grass resisting Steel
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP
Heart super-effective against Electric, Water

Ice resisting flying
Ice resists ground
rock resists itself
Air Strike — 80~90 BP physical move, to be discussed in the next balancing slate
Spectral Gash — 85~90 BP physical move, to be discussed in the next balancing slate
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP
Dragon Pulse --> 90 BP

I’m still convinced that large scale type-chart changes aren’t the way to go. Certainly not at this stage with only ONE new type. In five types, you’ll wonder why you threw so many extra resists onto ice and would be rushing to undo them.

Ice resisting Heart
Ice resists Ground
Rock resists itself
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP
Dragon Pulse --> 90 BP
Psychic super-effective against Steel

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
When we making new types again?
If everything goes normally, Monday, tho we will have to find a solution about Heart's chart.

I’m still convinced that large scale type-chart changes aren’t the way to go. Certainly not at this stage with only ONE new type. In five types, you’ll wonder why you threw so many extra resists onto ice and would be rushing to undo them.
We just won't make five types that ice resists? Balancing the whole chart is kinda the point of the mod too, but I agree that we should take that part easy for the moment and not go crazy with changes. I think the next balancing slates will be more about creating data for the new moves we are voting for now. Also, as I said, I will try to reorganize a little bit the mod for the next slates, and that should include changes to the balancing phase.

j-00-11

Banned deucer.
Ice resisting Flying
Rock resists itself
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP
Heart not very effective Against: Ghost, Steel, Rock, Psychic, Fairy, Ice

This is the best stage to make large scale changes, so we can make later types with less worries about giving Ice or Rock another weakness or Steel another resistance. Also, no we won't. Ice literally had only one resistance - itself - before, and we're adding two or three more? That's literally three or four resistances to four weaknesses. That's not even especially good, and it's definitely not ridiculous.

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Official post
Well well well well well well well well Here are the winning changes!

Ice now resists Flying and Ground
Rock resist itself
Flying is neutral against Grass but super-effective against Ground
Bug is only neutral against Fairy
Psychic is neutral against Steel

Power Gem now deal 90 damage and has a 10% to drop SpD
Shadow Claw now deal 80 and keep its high crit rate
Aura Sphere now deal 90 damage
Stealth Rock can now have to layers, but only one layer only deals 1/2 of what it did

Now, here are the topics we will be discussing next balancing slate.

New moves:
Fossil Fang — Rock type Crunch with 100 accuracy
Air Strike — A powerful physical flying move
Spectral Gash — A physical ghost move
xxx — A rock type Hurricane clone
yyy — A poison type Draco Meteor clone
zzz — A psychic Superpower clone

And, most important, Heart type matchup. It will need:
Ice resisting Heart
Heart being weak to Poison
Heart being super-effective against Poison, Electric and Water.

I will soon be doing a post to open the new slate, with some other precisions.

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Official post

Slate #3 (New type, no restrictions!) - Concept phase

We're finally here! The second new type slate! This time, Light, Space and Dinosaur typings are allowed. Also, resubs are allowed, feel free to reposts your older ideas.
With that, let's get started!

Also sorry for triple-posting, it's not like it's the first time I'm doing it...

Wait, not magic? No, I'm gonna go thru my list of types and come to the next type in my grand design: Wood

Different than just Grass with bark (at times) just like how not all fire types are made of fire (I'm pretty sure Vulpix has blood and not ashes) and the same is true for a lot of types, Wood is both things made of timber, and things with a forest spirit/fortitude.

For instance, Kangaskhan would be Normal/Wood despite not being made of a tree, but has a barklike fortitude. And Grovyle/Sceptile being Grass/Wood is because it's a Wood Gecko. Treecko shouldn't but I got my reason.

Weak to: Fire, Bug, Steel, Ghost
Resists: Fighting, Ground, Normal, Water, Electric, Fairy, Dragon, Rock, Psychic
Immune to: Nothing

Strong Against: Fight, Ground, Water, Electric
Resisted By: Poison, Steel, Rock, Grass, Ice
No Damage to: Bug

So type-chart-wise, Wood is not your average type. It's not very grassly. I mean okay, it's weak to Fire and Bug, and resisted by Steel, Poison and Grass, and it is SE vs. Water and Ground. Beyond that, wood is its own entity with its own impact on the type chart. There wouldn't be many mons retyped from grass. Even something like an affinity for wielding or living among the woods could suffice for the typing.

Retypings:

Kangaskhan
Pinsir (Not Mega)
Exeggcutor (both formes, replaces grass)
Pineco/Foretress (Replaces Steel or Bug depending on which is more powerful)
Sceptile (Not mega)
Seedot Line (replaces Grass)
Timburr Line
Cofagrius (Coffins are made of wood)
Phantump/Trevenant (replaces grass)
Axew Line
Heatmor
Xukitree
Ekans Line
Xerneas

Move Retypings:

Wood Hammer
Harden
Cut... ???

Hyper Fang - Not Retyped, but beavery teeth do SE damage vs. Wood types.

I know I know: "It's grass type! Stop wasting everyone's time again!"

Let me make this argument: Wood is to grass what Steel is to Rock is to Ground. Similar yet not the same! If it's not liked however, I'll delete and resub magic.

Last edited:

j-00-11

Banned deucer.
Arcana/Arcane
This Pokemon possessed powerful but mysterious magical strength that different from Psychic and Fairy types.
This type acquired strong understanding of hidden secret of the universe.

Potential Pokemon: Meowstic,Musharna,Hypno

Potential Moves: Wonder Room

Last edited:
Presenting for your consideration:
Time
(It's a little-known fact that time has a refreshing citrus flavour)

I think Time has the potential to be a really interesting and rare type. Not only does it have at least one associated Legendary in Dialga, it also can cover some more esoteric choices with 'mons that don't really fit into a particular pre-existing type, such as Sigilyph and Golurk. There's also the potential link with Fossil Pokémon - indeed, one might almost be tempted to give the Time typing to alternate versions of Fossil mons, ones that weren't reanimated by probably-passes-for-science-in-a-poor-enough-light but were instead dragged directly to the modern world from all those millions of years ago.

---

Type Effectiveness Ideas:-

Offensive:-
Super-Effective vs: Dragon, Fighting, Fire, Heart, Steel
The dragons of the world set great store in their perceived immortality; across the span of aeons, time proves that thinking to be the madness it is. You cannot fight the march of time no matter your heroics. Hearts will still, iron will rust, and fire? Fire is but a flash of light in an endless sea of dark.
Not Very Effective vs: Bug, Grass, Ground, Rock
Some forms of life adapt to the presence of time, be it through the intense swiftness of insect life or the long acceptance and seasonal change of flora. Time's sting changes little when it comes to stone, though.
Ineffective vs.: --

Defensive:-
Resistant to: Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Grass, Heart
The rage of dragons, heroes, and similar brave and caring souls is doubtless great, but against the armour of time they are as falling leaves. Leaves, too, struggle to damage creatures of Time; while they adapted to its caress, that is a defence, not an attack.
Weak to: Ghost, Poison, Psychic
Beings that exist outside of the normal constraints of time - planar travellers like Psychics, the restless dead - can penetrate Time's armour, but Poison is perhaps the most surprisingly effective, turning Time's own weapons of entropy and decay against it.
Immune to: Fire
No matter what ancient gods may tell you, fire fades and ends. Its power is naught against the infinite scope of Time.

---

Potential retyped Pokémon:-

Fossil mons (alternate formes)
Omanyte line: Water/Rock --> Water/Time
Kabuto line: Water/Rock --> Water/Time
Aerodactyl: Rock/Flying --> Time/Flying
Lileep line: Grass/Rock --> Grass/Time
Anorith line: Bug/Rock --> Bug/Time
Cranidos line: Rock --> Rock/Time
Shieldon line: Rock/Steel --> Time/Steel
Tirtouga line: Water/Rock --> Water/Time
Archen line: Rock/Flying --> Time/Flying
Tyrunt line: Rock/Dragon --> Time/Dragon
Amaura line: Ice/Rock --> Ice/Time
NB: This is not calling for them all to be retyped. Rather, it is a call to analyze how (and indeed if) they would be changed were they to possess a Time typing. These would work better if, as I said above, these were different formes available through something like a Reversion Machine rather than blanket retypes of the species.

Dialga
Dialga: Dragon/Steel --> Dragon/Time
Come on, guys. It's the Dragon of Time.

Artifact Pokémon
Unown: Psychic --> Time/Psychic
Baltoy line: Ground/Psychic --> Ground/Time
Sigilyph: Psychic/Flying --> Time/Flying
Golett line: Ghost/Ground --> Ghost/Time
These are artificially-created Pokémon that have ties to ancient civilizations in both design and lore.

---

Potential retyped moves:-

Physical: Bide, Extreme Speed
Special: Echoed Voice, Roar Of Time, Swift
Status: Destiny Bond, Double Team, Encore, Foresight, Metronome, Trick Room

---

Move design ideas:-

Amber Pulse | 85 BP | Special | 100% | 10-16 | Pulse | No contact | Priority: 0 | All enemies | No additional effect | Z: 160 BP
Warp Strike | 90 BP | Physical | 90% | 10-16 | -- | Contact | Priority: 0 | Single enemy | 30% chance to lower target's Evasion by 1 stage | Z: 170 BP
Future Shock | 40 BP | Special | 100% | 20-32 | Pulse, Bomb | No contact | Priority: +1 | Single enemy | No additional effect | Z: 100 BP
Echo Strikes | 20 BP | Physical | 90% | 20-32 | -- | Contact | Priority: 0 | Single enemy | Hits 2-5 times | Z: 100 BP
Pressure Wave | 30 BP | Special | 100% | 10-16 | -- | No contact | Priority: +1 | Single enemy | 20% chance to lower two of the target's main stats by 1 stage | Z: 100 BP
Disrupt | 60 BP | Physical | 90% | 5-8 | -- | No contact | Priority: +2 | Single enemy | This move's Base Power is doubled if the user moves last. Hits through Protect | Z: 120 BP
Reinforce | -- | Status | -- | 10-16 | -- | No contact | Priority: +1 | Self | Switches the user out. Raises two of the incoming Pokémon's stats by 1 stage | Z: Heals the user to full before switching them out
Rewind | -- | Status | 100% | 5-8 | -- | No contact | Priority: 0 | Single enemy | Resets the target's stat adjustments. If a stat is affected, the user heals for 50% of its max HP
Preservation | -- | Status | -- | 5-8 | -- | No contact | Priority: +1 | Self | Raises the user's Defence by 2 stages. Raises the user's Special Defence by 2 stages if it moves last
Forgotten Power | -- | Status | -- | 5-8 | -- | No contact | Priority: 0 | Self | Raises the user's Attack or Special Attack by 2 stages, whichever is higher. Raises the user's critical hit rate by +1

---

Thoughts? =]

Last edited:
Noble-type
Noble-type includes Pokemon who have elements of justice, courage, righteousness, and honor in their actions, intent, and presence. While these concepts are typically associated with the Fighting-type, there are others that exude nobility as well. Noble-type Pokemon fight honorably, even against the unjust or evil, with high self-discipline and with the intent to aid. They may also attempt rescuing other Pokemon or people. This is separate from Fighting-types that just like to fight as well as violence-oriented Pokemon, who Noble-types will bravely fight against when the time comes.
Example Pokemon: Hariyama line (Fighting/Noble), Lucario line (Noble/Fighting), Gallade and Mega (Psychic/Noble), Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion/Keldeo (replace Fighting with Noble), Chesnaught (Grass/Noble), Hakamo-o and Kommo-o (Dragon/Noble), Serperior (Grass/Noble), Absol (Noble/Dark), Latios and Mega (Dragon/Noble), Slowking (Water/Noble), Lugia (Noble/Flying), Azelf (Noble), Arcanine line (Fire/Noble), Pyroar (Fire/Noble), Braviary (Noble/Flying), Empoleon (Water/Noble)
Example moves: Noble Roar, Sacred Sword, Secret Sword, Quick Guard, Wide Guard, Retaliate, False Swipe

Potential Matchup
Offensive:
2x against Dark, Fire, Ghost
1/2 against Bug, Grass, Noble, Heart
0x against N/A
Defensive:
2x from Poison, Ghost
1/2 from Fire, Fighting, Noble, Heart
0x from Dark
Explanation/Niche:

Super effective against Dark, Fire, Ghost
  • Dark: Noble-type is a type of justice, so it should be strong against darkness and the unjust
  • Fire: fire is associated with indiscriminate harm, anger, and destruction so Noble-types should also be able to quell flames
  • Ghost: ghosts manipulate and torment the living, Noble-types should be able to fend them off
Not very effective against Bug, Grass, Noble, Heart
  • Bug: it is not very noble to attack bugs
  • Grass: harming plants is harming the land, which is not noble
  • Noble: nobles don’t fight one another unless duty demands it
  • Heart: it is not noble to attack those who help others and spread kindness
Weak against Poison, Ghost
  • Poison: there are many stories of nobles losing their lives to illness and poison
  • Ghost: there are also many stories of ghosts manipulating nobles to do terrible things
Strong against Fire, Fighting, Noble, Heart
  • Fire: noble Pokemon can charge through destruction and fire and rescue others
  • Fighting: nobles resist the urge to fight for the sake of fighting
  • Noble: nobles don’t fight one another unless duty demands it
  • Heart: kind Pokemon wouldn’t want to hurt noble Pokemon
Immune to Dark
  • Dark: the truly just can’t be taken over by darkness

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here we go again!

Rubber!
The Rubber typing would be not only associated with the elasticity but also the things made of rubber too for example your rubber shoes. There are quite some Pokemon fitting in this type. It could gain an advantage against Fairy-types due to rubber being new, elastic and ignoring the fairies spell while also having a type being super-effective against Water and help in balancing that.

Potential Pokemon:

• Deoxys can go part Alien / Space type in future with Rubber.
  • Ditto's typing doesn't matter mostly but it fits in better than Normal-type.
  • Special Thanks to Gojiratar for suggestions on removing Spiritomb and adding Limber Pokemon like Hitmonlee and Stunfisk!

Potential Type Effectiveness:

Weaknesses: Fire, Fighting, Grass, Dragon
  • Fire can burn rubber so it's more effective.
  • Rubber bands break when stretched a lot which can be done by Fighting-types.
  • Rubber is mostly biodegradable so nature wins over Rubber.
  • Dragons are brutal and can smack holes into rubber, what I mean to say is they can break past it's elasticity with power.
Resistances: Poison, Electric, Fairy, Bug, Water
  • Rubber can't be poisoned. (Maybe make it Immune)
  • Rubber mostly insulates Electric conductivity.
  • Fairy as explained above.
  • Bug as bugs can't get past rubber I think.
  • Rubber is mostly Water resistance* in real life. (It generally isn't but it can be made to be waterproof)
Super-Effective against: Fairy, Electric, Water, Ground
  • Fairy because Rubber hits with no mercy no life.
  • Electric since if a Rubber breaks into an Electric circuit's path it breaks.
  • Water for various reasons: Rubber can obstruct the flow of water, Rubber can store Water in it, Rubber absorbs water and swells up to become more powerful.
  • Ground as Rubber plants penetrate through the Ground and then grow. (Just like Grass-type but this is for Rubber as it's own type)
Not very effective against: Fire, Steel, Flying
  • Fire since Rubber can get burnt as it tries to hit Fire.
  • Steel is tough enough to take Rubber hits.
  • Rubber can't easily hit Flying types unless it's made into a slingshot which would still be hit with a Rock. (Not that sure about this one)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)