Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Flying should hit Grass neutrally and instead hit Ground super effectively. This removes one of Grass' 5 weaknesses and adds another weakness for Ground, which hit 5 types super effectively while being weak against only 3 types. This helps strengthen Flying's advantage against Ground and also removes one of the 4x weaknesses of Bug/Grass.

Bug is terrible offensively, hitting 3 types super effectively but being resisted by 7 types. I think Bug should hit Fairy, Fighting, Poison, and Ghost neutrally. Fairy already had only 2 weaknesses with 3 resistances and 1 immunity, so this should help balance its defensive capabilities. Fighting maintains its position as a strong offensive type, Poison still has 4 other resistances, and Ghost still has 2 immunities and 1 resistance with 2 weaknesses, so these changes shouldn't be too huge. But Bug should be happy, now being resisted by just Fire, Flying, and Steel.
I would prefer for Fighting to keep its Bug resistance, as it makes a neat dynamic between them. Also Fighting types need switch in opportunities

One question: Are we allowed to propose type changes for some Pokemons in this slate? Cause in that case I have some ideas.

List of Resistance Changes:

Grass should resist Steel: If you throw a metal can on some grass, the grass won't stop growing. It'll just keep growing over it as the metal itself can't harm plants. It'd also make Fire/Water/Grass/Electric all resistant to steel and resisted by dragon.
Edit: yes, axes and lawnmowers exist, but that's with a person using the steel to actually do work. If you just place the steel there by itself it won't do much damage
Ice should resist Heart and Flying: Agree, see reasoning above (143). We could also let ice resist grass but grass is already bad enough...
Bug should no longer be resisted by Fairy: Agree - what logic says fairies are unbothered by annoying bugs? However, bug should still be resisted by poison (too toxic), fighting (for the resist duo), and ghost (already dead)
Psychic should be no longer resisted by Steel: This is the most controversial... but in gen 6, dark and ghost, which function similarly as psychic (e.g. using brainpower/spirits) hit steel neutrally, so why not add psychic as well? Psychic is bad defensively, so why make it just as bad offensively, resisted by the omnipresent defensive type steel? The resist was added in gen 2 to balance out broken psychics, but they're no longer broken. One side effect though is Psychic/Bug is unresisted, which might cause cm/recover/psychic/signal beam psychic types to become too overpowered.

Move Changes:
Reduce accuracy of toxic used by non-poison types
Power Gem --> 90 BP, 10% chance to drop opponent SpD
Focus Miss, Hydro Pump --> 110 BP, 85% acc
Shadow Claw --> 80 BP, keep high crit rate
Aura Sphere --> 90 BP
Moonblast --> 90 BP, 20% chance to drop opponent SpA
Dragon Pulse --> 90 BP

New moves:
Rock-type Hurricane clone, 100% acc in sand
Poison-type Draco Meteor clone
Psychic-type Superpower clone

Last edited:
From a logical standpoint, the reason a lot of comic book characters even wear metal helmets is to block out psychic powers, so I’m okay with the realist encasing the brain and such.

Thus let steel resist psychic.

From a logical standpoint, the reason a lot of comic book characters even wear metal helmets is to block out psychic powers, so I’m okay with the realist encasing the brain and such.

Thus let steel resist psychic.
Except for the part where it's an infinitely more common image to have a psychic bending a metal spoon.

Except for the part where it's an infinitely more common image to have a psychic bending a metal spoon.
I think this is a good argument for Psychic being super effective against steel. Alakazam is strongly associated controlling metal spoons and Mewtwo in the first movie distorts metal easily so this concept is not new to Pokemon. I don't think Psychic needs an offensive buff but Steel could easily lose one of its 11 resists/immunities (12 including Heart) and still be one of the best defensive types.

Grass should resist Steel: If you throw a metal can on some grass, the grass won't stop growing. It'll just keep growing over it as the metal itself can't harm plants. It'd also make Fire/Water/Grass/Electric all resistant to steel and resisted by dragon.
My secateurs and lawnmower disagree with this.

Psychic would have the same problem ghost has: 1 resist and 1 immunity, making damn good neutral coverage if steel stopped resisting it.

I have reservations about giving it ghost style coverage potential.

EDIT: Psychic/Bug would be a really good coverage combo ironically, as Psychic hits the Bug resistant Fight and Poison (and now Steel) types SE and the other resistors neutrally. Meanwhile Bug munches on Dark and Psychic.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Axes can be made out of stone, plastic, human bone, or wood, so I fail to see how this is relevant.
What Gojiratar means is that blades cut plants that why grass can't resist steel. Also I don't understand your argument since Grass resists neither Rock type nor Plastic and Bone (these type don't even exist). And for wood, I don't think that a blade made of wood is able to cut a tree.

What Gojiratar means is that blades cut plants that why grass can't resist steel. Also I don't understand your argument since Grass resists neither Rock type nor Plastic and Bone (these type don't even exist). And for wood, I don't think that a blade made of wood is able to cut a tree.
The various Bone moves, with the exception of one, are Ground-type. Grass resists Ground. Also, the point is that blades are nowhere near exclusive or even related to the Steel type.

Slate #2 (Balance + Heart Matchup) - Distribution phase

Now, it's time to get all those crappy types a chance to shine! Refers to the OP to know what you can do! We will also be discussing about heart type matchups. We will do a final vote for it at the end of the slate, but this time, we'll have a lot more time to debate.

Also, a spreadsheet is coming, I'm not sure when I'll have the time to finish it, though, so, stay tuned(?)!
Dilasc This slate is not only focused on balancing Heart. You may prefer focusing on it, but other types need attention too, and that's what this slate is for.

Dilasc This slate is not only focused on balancing Heart. You may prefer focusing on it, but other types need attention too, and that's what this slate is for.
I get that, but balancing before playtesting? Seems a bit backwards. Maybe after heart, type 2 and type 3 are added we can consider changes.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I get that, but balancing before playtesting? Seems a bit backwards. Maybe after heart, type 2 and type 3 are added we can consider changes.
Our playtesting is OU ladder >_>
More seriously, it's true that, right now, creating a matchup for heart type is our priority. Nonetheless, if we want to create some balance between types, we have to start balancing other types right. We can't rely only on heart type: Even though we all want a type that is strong against electric, that resist ghost, that is weak to poison, grass and bug and that is resisted by ice, it's not possible. Flavor has to come in the way at some point.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Awfully bold of you to assume my lawnmower isn't made of human bone. The lawnmower Pokémon is Grass type, so thanks for proving my point further that the Steel-type has no connection with blades.
But... Aren't like, 99% of blades made of metal?

In this case cutting moves should become Steel-type (Cut, Slash, Razor Wind) but nope, still Normal-type.
Cut: because it’s an hm. Rock Climb is an hm and it’s normal type
Slash: It’s learned by Pokémon with talons or claws, which is why it’s Normal type
Razor Wind: Self Explanitory why it’s flying type

Grass and Steel have a fine and logical type matchup atm. Grass may not resist much, but resisting ground, water, and electric is why so many grass types can work defensively

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Slash: It’s learned by Pokémon with talons or claws, which is why it’s Normal type

Grass and Steel have a fine and logical type matchup atm. Grass may not resist much, but resisting ground, water, and electric is why so many grass types can work defensively
I agree with this, especially since grass is likely to lose its flying weakness in this slate.

razor wind isn't even a flying type move

And how about Sacred Sword, huh?

Now here is my proposed offensive type matchup for Heart
Super Effective Against: Poison, Electric, Water
Reasoning: Poison because doctors can cure poisons, Electric because hearts take and control electricity(and because I love Dilasc’s suggestion) and Water because you can purify it
Not Very Effective Against: Ghost, Steel, Rock, Psychic, Fairy, Ice
Reasoning: Cannot heal the dead, Steel and Rock are not living, and Psycic because the mind is more important than than the heart. Fairy because fairy’s are already associated with goodness and healing, Ice reasoning is outlined in an earlier post.

Awfully bold of you to assume my lawnmower isn't made of human bone. The lawnmower Pokémon is Grass type, so thanks for proving my point further that the Steel-type has no connection with blades.
Scizor, Pawniard, Bisharp, Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash, Kartana are all steel types that have a strong connection with blades. I don't see much reason to change the Grass/Steel matchup at the moment.

I don't believe that Heart should be super effective against Electric. Yes Hearts have a small electrical pulse but it is an insignificantly tiny amount compared to the amount of electricity that Electric types can produce. This change seems like it would be just for the sake of balance and grasping at straws flavour and logic wise. There will be better opportunities to to balance Electric types in future slates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)