Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

How can I find tournaments with signups open when I just want to join some random tournament?
If I said I have very little understanding of the Gen 7 pokemon, would this change your answer?
I would suggest picking whatever generation you want and copying whatever team you want from this. Use those teams until you've played a few battles and think you can build your own. The competitive tutoring room on Showdown! is pretty helpful when you have quick questions about battling.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
If I said I have very little understanding of the Gen 7 pokemon, would this change your answer?
mm... what about Gen 6 OU? but is best this
How can I find tournaments with signups open when I just want to join some random tournament?I would suggest picking whatever generation you want and copying whatever team you want from this. Use those teams until you've played a few battles and think you can build your own. The competitive tutoring room on Showdown! is pretty helpful when you have quick questions about battling.
Also I recommend learning about Gen 7 OU, is the latest gen at all.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
It probably shouldn't in regards to Gen 7 OU vs a different tier - pretty much every tier has some of the Gen 7 Pokemon as relevant forces, whether that be PU with Oricorio and Type: Null, NU with Incineroar and Passimian, RU with Salazzle, Golisopod, and Zygarde 10%, UU with Primarina and Muk-Alola, or OU with the Tapus, Magearna, and Kartana.

If you have an interest in learning Gen 7, then I'd advise looking into the different tiers to see what appeals most to you. Look at their Viability rankings to get a general overview of the meta and look at replays to see what the games often look like. OU certainly has one of the largest playerbases, but you should go for whatever tier you feel is most interesting.

If you're not particularly interested in Gen 7, then there's definitely a fairly active oldgens community out there - if you're looking to get into pastgens then you should check out the Ruins of Alph subforum which has a bunch of resources and visit their PS room and discord. If you're looking for a different pastgen tier than OU like Gen 4 UU then you might need to look harder to find help getting into the metagame, but you can probably find people willing to help you in that tier's PS room or discord.

Either way, pick whatever you feel is most interesting to you and float around if you're unsure, you can't really pick a "wrong" tier to start learning!

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
When I start to learning Gen 7 OU I test much teams and combinations to find one that fills my play mode, so I recommend the same for you, don't think that you need to be an proffesional to play Gen 7 OU, just play for fun and you will only be best in the game!
Hello Smogon! I have more suggestions for you and players!
-Give users the ability to lock their threads on WiFi subforum or in all the forums, because when you ask for a Pokémon trade, once you find one person that trade you the Pokémon, you can lock your thread, this is not so bad as much people think, if you want you can set a rule like "the abuse of this feature can result in a punishment" but is an interesting feature.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
-Give users the ability to lock their threads on WiFi subforum or in all the forums, because when you ask for a Pokémon trade, once you find one person that trade you the Pokémon, you can lock your thread, this is not so bad as much people think, if you want you can set a rule like "the abuse of this feature can result in a punishment" but is an interesting feature.
Just wanted to note that threads in the Wi-Fi sections are more meant to be shops where multiple users can pick and choose from while coming with offers than a specific one-time request. The Wi-Fi simple requests thread is where people can ask simple requests.

Since quite recently the focus in battle rooms jumps automatically to the end whenever a new message appears. That makes it nearly impossible to read the chat from the beginning after joining the battle late as a spectator for instance. Why was that implemented?

Conni

katharsis
On smogon I'd just go to a tournament forum or subforum or any place you can find a tournament and just command f "signups" then you will most likely find one you can signup for. There isn't a more specific way to do this though.

If you're talking about PS! (If which you are you should go ask in the questions thread of the Pokémon Showdown subforum) just do /tours and you'll find a list of started tours and not started tours with the room they are hosted in and the tier played.

Hope this answers your question.

When I start to learning Gen 7 OU I test much teams and combinations to find one that fills my play mode, so I recommend the same for you, don't think that you need to be an proffesional to play Gen 7 OU, just play for fun and you will only be best in the game!
Alright, thank you!

Are there any plans to adding a spot for Switch FC on Account Details in the future? Currently we have spots for DP, PT, HGSS, BW, BW2, and 3DS. I feel like there should be a place where we can place our Switch FC, now that it's been out for awhile.

Also the Favorite Pokemon section maxes out at 10 characters when there are Pokemon with over that limit that cannot be entered (i.e. Fletchinder and Crabominable).

Last edited:
A suggestion for Smogon. I play primarily on the downloaded showdown app but as far as I remember, it's not much different in the browser (where I believe most users play). Anyways the suggestion is I'd like to see a notepad or somewhere where we can write extra stuff on each Pokemon slot in the teambuilder. This would mostly be used to keep track of what your EV spreads do, so I imagine it could likely be implemented under the EV editor in that big open spot haha. [If not there, a button right above the pokemon slot such as delete, move, export, etc. would probably be a good spot]
I don't think this would be hard to implement either and should be fairly useful.

Thanks.

How do I reset my Password on Pokemon Showdown? I can't seem to sign in. There doesn't seem to be a Password recovery option either, which is rather annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

Perish Song Xeriath

Banned deucer.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there a way to change your avatar to another Gen 5 pokemon gif from the site? If there isn't, is there any site where I can get them? Thanks in advance.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there a way to change your avatar to another Gen 5 pokemon gif from the site? If there isn't, is there any site where I can get them? Thanks in advance.
You can get the other sprites from Pokemon Showdown, then you can set them as your avatar.
There isn't a specific way to change them with a button or anything.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, i was reading the badge faq and i was confused. How long does it normally take to get (lets say team rater badge) ?
There's no set amount as it depends on the quality as well. However from what I've seen, it's around 40 in a consistent timeframe.

Hey i dunno where to ask that question, but i've lost my password for my account EchoGaia in Pokemon Showdown and it would be nice if an admin could reset it, cause i had ranks in several showdown servers and i would not lost them (mostly room owner of Dragon Heaven which would suck to lose it) Thanks in advance.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Hey i dunno where to ask that question, but i've lost my password for my account EchoGaia in Pokemon Showdown and it would be nice if an admin could reset it, cause i had ranks in several showdown servers and i would not lost them (mostly room owner of Dragon Heaven which would suck to lose it) Thanks in advance.
Post in the other admin requests forum asking for a password reset.
Here’s the link
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/other-admin-requests.346/

What's a good place to make some image attachments for your own personal use (like only intended to appear in a signature and nowhere else)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)