Online Competition Let's Go! Cup

Seems like nobody wants to share its secret set ;) is there nothing to counter evoboost like psych up or something like that?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seems like nobody wants to share its secret set ;) is there nothing to counter evoboost like psych up or something like that?
I was running Light Ball Pika with Fake Out/Brick Break/Encore/Agility to mess with Evoboost for a while. If they Protect turn 1 you Encore them into it, then Brick Break, then Agility, then Brick Break again, repeat if you somehow haven't KOed it yet. If they don't Protect turn 1, Fake Out + Brick Break kills. I still like that set, but I moved onto Protect/Brick Break/Extreme Speed/Sleep Talk now which I find more consistent, as E-speed improves the opposing Pikachu matchup imo

So, I've tried hundreds of games and my peaks was at ~1450. Now the meta has changed and EVERY possible set is multiple times countered. So my sets don't work anymore. I really don't know which set I should use next week :/
Evoboost is op if setted, but on the one hand there are often mirrors and the Pikachus playing more and more around.
And Pikachu which can't 0HKO the Eevee are mostly 0HKO in return.

Last Resort fails if it's your only move, or if you have at least one other move you haven't used yet. The only Pokemon that can reasonably make use of choice-powered Last Resort is Komala, and only by running the exact set Sleep Talk/Last Resort/---/---.

I was running Light Ball Pika with Fake Out/Brick Break/Encore/Agility to mess with Evoboost for a while. If they Protect turn 1 you Encore them into it, then Brick Break, then Agility, then Brick Break again, repeat if you somehow haven't KOed it yet. If they don't Protect turn 1, Fake Out + Brick Break kills. I still like that set, but I moved onto Protect/Brick Break/Extreme Speed/Sleep Talk now which I find more consistent, as E-speed improves the opposing Pikachu matchup imo
Yeah this set works pretty well against all evoboost eevee but immediately loses against scarf and other pika chu, I’d consider it the foil to scarf eevee, it beats pikachu but not a lot of eevees, but this one beats a lot a eevees but not other pikas
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7letsgocup-780990934

This is a really difficult challenge, because - as others already said - it's (almost?) impossible to be able to win against everything. The set I like most is this:

Pikachu (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Atk / 252 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dig
- Brick Break
- Encore
- Nuzzle

The strategy is simple:
- against Pikachu: I use dig on turn 1 (or 2nd, if the opponent use Fake out), usually I beat the Pikachus that protect in order to scout, but lose against the onse with a sub set or with hidden power ground and the ones with protect.
- against Eevee: I use nuzzle to paralyze them and not being outspeed by evoboosted Eevees. I lock them with encore if they use protect/detect and hit with brick break. I can resist against most choice scarf Eevees (I resist against adamant, 252 atk ones only 31.2%), but I lose against the ones with breackneck blitz.

36 speed EVs are needed to outspeed every Eevee not scarfed. Defense and hp to absorb more hits possibile, but I put some extra attack because I feel I need it (but it's a personal preference).

This "metagame" is so dumb yet quite enjoyable. It's basically rock-paper-scissors where players try to create sets that beat as many dominant sets as possible.

For example scarf eevee used to be able to win lots of games until sets like sash+counter pikachu and yawn eevee became more common. Then people started running substitute pikachu against those and so on.

It's also pretty surprising that pikachu sets seem to be as common and dominant as eevee sets.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah this set works pretty well against all evoboost eevee but immediately loses against scarf and other pika chu
The thing is, nothing beats everything, so you have to play to the odds. Let's say there's 10 total sets, if you auto-lose to 2 of them but have a positive matchup against 8, you're probably going to win more games. The Encore/Agility set did have trouble with Knock Off Pika and HP Ground Pika, so I changed it to a set which just auto-loses to Scarf Eevee and HP Ground, which I was seeing less.

The "oh but that just loses to [X]" argument really isn't good in this unless we're talking about offensive Evoboost sets that get OHKOed by Light Ball Pikachu lol.

I actually use Eevee Eviolith with impish and return, quick attack, sleep talk and tickle (the set from trainer tower) and made it to 1500. But i am unsure with tickle and sleep talk. This set beats all except evobooster and the in reality rare counter pikas. Whats ur favorit set for eviolith and what could fit my set better (return and quick attack are a must have for me, for the other two i need arguments and suggestions). Thank u :)

I actually use Eevee Eviolith with impish and return, quick attack, sleep talk and tickle (the set from trainer tower) and made it to 1500. But i am unsure with tickle and sleep talk. This set beats all except evobooster and the in reality rare counter pikas. Whats ur favorit set for eviolith and what could fit my set better (return and quick attack are a must have for me, for the other two i need arguments and suggestions). Thank u :)
Hi,

I should explain my question:

I want to use Evolith Eevee with impish (bold?) nature and:

Return
Quick Attack

I want to cover as many as possible sets. Atm I use tickle for those Charm guys and for bulkier physical Eevees to break through and Sleep talk for the often used Yawn. Most of the time I slam my opponents with just Return and/or Quick attack. But:

My question is: what are the best choices for the 3rd and 4th move slot and why? Every hint helps!!!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Hi,

Return
Quick Attack

I want to cover as many as possible sets. Atm I use tickle for those Charm guys and for bulkier physical Eevees to break through and Sleep talk for the often used Yawn. Most of the time I slam my opponents with just Return and/or Quick attack. But:

My question is: what are the best choices for the 3rd and 4th move slot and why? Every hint helps!!!
what sets are you losing to?

what sets are you losing to?
Mh... Evoboost is an auto-loss. And tickle is great and wins the matchup against curse user (pp) but maybe the set above misses wish. But wish without protect sounds not very good. Another point is yawn which I counter with sleep talk but not always does the game choose the right move. Quick attack is early game too weak and tickle is very situational. I can't really say what I miss but it feels like that there is more

Serpi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 116 SpA / 4 Spe
Lax Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

I didn't think I'd arrive at a special Pikachu after theorymonning this but here we are. I started looking into this set because I expected most defensive spread to be max Def/rest HP and wanted to abuse that. HP Ground wins vs almost every Pikachu. Espeed is needed to win vs Scarf Eevee. Protect wins vs Dig Pikachu, maybe I would replace it w/ Electric Terrain but apparently that's not legal alongside Espeed.
I definitely think abandoning the Evoboost matchup is the way to go with this set, as clicking t1 Thunder vs every Eevee is just unacceptable odds. At least I have two chances to crit it though.

wins vs scarf:
252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 132 HP / 252+ Def Pikachu: 106-126 (83.4 - 99.2%)
116 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eevee: 102-121 (78.4 - 93%)
4 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eevee: 65-77 (50 - 59.2%)

wins vs adamant Pikachu, assuming no HP investment (assuming them to run Def instead if they remove some speed):
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Fake Out vs. 132 HP / 252+ Def Pikachu: 35-42 (27.5 - 33%)
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 132 HP / 252+ Def Pikachu: 70-83 (55.1 - 65.3%)
116 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 112-132 (101.8 - 120%)

I've seen a 92 Atk defensive Eevee in here so I live Double Edge + QA from him:
92 Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 132 HP / 252+ Def Pikachu: 78-94 (61.4 - 74%)

116 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Eevee: 69-82 (42.5 - 50.6%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO
They can't wishspam vs this if they returned t1 - paras and crits are too likely with the amount of wishes they have to use. They're not even guaranteed to arrive at full health again with their Wish PP (they only heal 3,5% on average per Wish cycle) so they have to go for this roll (assuming they're max HP/max Def, leaving no room for Atk investment):
4 Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 132 HP / 252+ Def Pikachu: 58-70 (45.6 - 55.1%) -- 53.5% chance to 2HKO
K´keep in mind they can get para'd by Tbolt and Static, the superior Pika ability

or they're mono Double Edge:
4 Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 132 HP / 252+ Def Pikachu: 68-82 (53.5 - 64.5%) (13.8 - 16.7% recoil damage)
adding this recoil to the Tbolt roll, they receive 98.8 - 117.9 % so my win is almost guaranteed barring crit + Quick Attack

So basically this set has a positive matchup vs any competitive set besides Evoboost - which is fine imo because I don't think that set is gonna end up being the best - and usually Yawn Eevee.

edit: just had the idea of using Feint + Electric Terrain instead of Protect + Espeed. This means I'll win vs Yawn Eevee, have a way better shot vs bulk invested Pikachu (Feint is faster than Espeed) and will be able to pull off some random cheese plays vs protect while losing to dig and I guess it adds a little roll to the Scarf Eevee matchup:
120 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eevee: 102-121 (78.4 - 93%)
0 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Feint vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eevee: 24-29 (18.4 - 22.3%)
That's still very much in my favor though unless they start running way more bulk which I don't think they'll do (and if they do, it will be Def investment which doesn't influence this roll as much).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ark

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
So basically this set has a positive matchup vs any competitive set besides Evoboost - which is fine imo because I don't think that set is gonna end up being the best
yeah but it's going to be common as HELL in the actual comp, regardless of how good/bad you think it is.

Serpi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
idk, I predict scarf Eevee and simple physically offensive Pikachu to be more common, but even if like 1/3-1/4 of my matches are instalosses to Evoboost, I'm fine with that if the rest of my matchup spread is this good

another factor: most people don't want to go through that whole z-move animation every single game lol

Reactions: Ark

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
idk, I predict scarf Eevee and simple physically offensive Pikachu to be more common, but even if like 1/3-1/4 of my matches are instalosses to Evoboost, I'm fine with that if the rest of my matchup spread is this good

another factor: most people don't want to go through that whole z-move animation every single game lol
You're assuming everyone you run into will have tested on Showdown and bring something "meta." A LOT of people just bring what they have for online competitions, since breeding / training can be a chore, especially when it's for something you'll never use again like Eevee or Pikachu. People DO have standard Evoboost Eevee lying around in their PC for BSS / VGC so they are very likely to just grab that and enter the competition.

There's also the people bringing "serious" Evoboost sets, making it even more common. If there's ONE set to have in check in this, outside vanilla Pikachu, it's Evoboost.

Hi,

Return
Quick Attack

Other than Eevoboost, you die to special Pikachu since you're physically defensive and bulky Eevee sets with Toxic and/or Wish. For the latter you could probably add Substitute and some speed to set sub before your opponent hits you with Toxic, but I got no idea about Pikachu.

Does nobody has an idea? Or is my set perfect? ;)
Other than Eevoboost, you die to special Pikachu since you're physically defensive and bulky Eevee sets with Toxic and/or Wish. For the latter you could probably add Substitute and some speed to set sub before your opponent hits you with Toxic, but I got no idea about Pikachu.
The good thing is I really rarely see a special Pikachu, but I defeated until now every Pika with this set (except lucky crits). For substitute I have to faster, as you told, but my EV are exact how they should be. They prevent important attacks and nearly guarantee 2HKO to Pikas.

Funny fact: after I posted my set I see much more bulky Eevees xD Maybe this is the best set that exist. This challenge is all about crits and the rock paper scizor thing. Pika is a good Evoboost killer, bulky Eevee kills Pika and bulky Eevee auto lose to evoboost. Sleep talk is needed for the Yawn spam which is quite annoying and tickle for the also common charm/tickle Eevees. A special set sadly would miss important KOs. Because the usage daily alter, I go up and down between 1300 and 1500:D any further hints?

I'd like to share a set I'm currently 20th on the ladder with:

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Yawn
- Last Resort
- Protect

28 Spe helps you outspeed +Spe Nature 252 Spe Pikachu at +2. You go max Def to help you surviving Z Focus Punch or Volt Tackle from Adamant max Atk Pikachu. Hyper Voice was chosen to beat SubPunches Pikachu. You can go Stored Power cause you tank Focus Punches very easily at +2 but you're weaker against Volt Tackle ones. Yawn helps you beating Eevees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)