35 Bulk Up
41 Double Edge

48 Wild Charge
54 Wood Hammer
60 Synthesis

66 Solar Beam
72 Zap Cannon

78 Hyper Beam

Caribolt's level up moveset is reminiscent of the other two deer, Stantler and Sawsbuck, with several kick and hoof moves, as well as several recoil attacks, but, as a Grass/Electric type, has several other staples of those types. Caribolt typically uses its body and antlers for attacks, bulking up and tackling or making physical contact with most of its moves, but as it gets older and wiser, it learns to use its railgun antlers for more special attacks, most notably Solar Beam, Zap Cannon, and Hyper Beam. As an arctic caribou, Caribolt also has some weak ice-type coverage, firing Aurora Beams from its railgun, and summoning soft snow for its favorite environment.

CAP25G-1 Quick Attack
CAP25G-1, Powder Snow
CAP25G-1, CAP25G-2, Take Down

Quick Attack is the faster, but weaker version of CAP25G-2's Stomp. Powder Snow is the weaker version of CAP25G-2's Icy Wind. Take Down is the weaker version of Double Edge.

Wood Hammer (Chesnaught)
Power Whip (Venusaur)
Leech Seed (Venusaur)
Body Slam (Meganium)
Natural Gift (Pansage)
Boomburst (Exploud)
Aurora Veil (Ninetales-A)
Thrash (Tauros)
Ingrain (Tangela)
Leaf Blade (Serperior)
Leaf Storm (Serperior)
Aromatherapy (Sawsbuck)
Jump Kick (Sawsbuck)
Nature Power (Sawsbuck)
Sand Attack (Sawsbuck)
Me First (Stantler)
Zen Headbutt (Stantler)
Imprison (Stantler)
Captivate (Stantler)
Flash (Stantler)
Aurora Beam (Delibird)
Present (Delibird)

As Stantler and Sawsbuck share the majority of their movesets, I felt that Caribolt should do much of the same, getting important moves from each other deer. Egg Moves and Tutor Moves are also the place for moves I didn't feel like fit in with Caribolt's level up moveset, such as several vine and seed moves. And finally, I included Flash from Stantler and Present and Aurora Beam from Delibird, Flash for the Rudolph reference, Present because Caribolt definitely resembles Santa's reindeer, and Aurora Beam for the cold flavor that I want to give to Caribolt, while also appealing to the idea of his railgun antlers shooting a beam.

CAP 25 Celebration

Caribolt @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
Ability: Galvanize
Nature: Random
OT: Doug
ID: 478414
Met: 2018 Celebration CAP (fateful encounter)
Ribbon: Souvenir Ribbon
- Celebrate
- Solar Beam
- Lock On
- Zap Cannon

Christmas 2018

Caribolt @ Lava Cookie
Level 50
Nature: Jolly
OT: Santa
ID: 122518
Met: North Pole (fateful encounter)
Ribbon: Special Ribbon
- Present
- Fly
- Powder Snow
- Wild Charge

The two events I wanted to distribute Caribolt at are the standard CAP25 Celebration event, holding a Silver Bottle Cap to signify CAP's silver anniversary, and Christmas 2018, with several moves and even Caribolt's nature and item referencing the jolly fat man and his reindeer flying over the fresh-fallen snow.

Knock Off
Snore
Rapid Spin
Round

Uproar
Hyper Voice
Shock Wave
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Worry Seed

Frenzy Plant
Grass Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM03 Psyshock
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract

TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM57 Charge Beam
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Aurora Veil
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance
TM77 Psych Up
TM79 Frost Breath
TM85 Dream Eater
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute

TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge
TM96 Nature Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

The TMs list also provides a few opportunities for ballistic or cannon-based flavor, such as from Focus Blast, Energy Ball, and Flash Cannon, while also rounding out Caribolt's typical Electric and Grass-type movepool.

97 total moves

cbrevan calling for a look at specific Ice-type coverage, namely Blizzard and Frost Breath. Also calling for a look at Fly. Also, Psyshock, cuz it's pseudo-physical, I guess.

Last edited:
I'll be looking at the Ice Coverage question less from a place of "Is the flavor okay", as there's already a lot of ink on that subject, and more from the "is this competitively okay?"

We joked early on about Avalanche Espeed 25g, but as Caribolt took form we collectively decided to deny it Extreme Speed and to have Cyclohm as our sacred, universal counter - so much so that anything stronger than Bulldoze ate the banhammer. We also have Pajantom and the Lati@as as checks/counters, although we accepted we would be able to somewhat pressure them with Knock Off. Finally, "bulky grasses" such as Tangrowth, Jumbao, and Amoongus are also supposed to be somewhat reliable answers to Caribolt.

Every single one of these 'mons boasts a weakness to ice. As a result, I think any ice-type move that is stronger than Hidden Power: Ice deserves the absolute closest of analysis and scrutiny, even the humble Aurora Beam present on so many sets. This goes double for physical ice coverage that will come off our much higher and possibly Swords Dance boosted physical attacking stat (conversely, Caribolt is banned from learning Nasty Plot or other moves that rapidly enhance its Boombursts).

I will look first at Aurora Beam but also Frost Breath, Blizzard, Ice Ball, and Ice Fang which have all gotten mentions in-thread (despite the fact that Ice Beam is banned and Blizzard/Frost Breath are technically equal or stronger to those).

Aurora Beam and other Special Coverage:
252 SpA Magnet Galvanize Caribolt Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 78-91 (18.5 - 21.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 136-160 (32.3 - 38%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-Mow Aurora Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 102-120 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 202-238 (48 - 56.6%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 177-208 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 263-309 (62.6 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Cyclohm Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Caribolt: 212-250 (68.6 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If that seems shorter than expected, its because for everything else on the C&C list, Aurora Beam is outpaced by Boomburst. It is only Cyclohm we must concern ourselves with, as Cyclohm is 4x resistant to Boomburst and weak to ice. Boomburst is our benchmark, and invested with a Magnet is a 7HKO. I then compared that to Aurora Beam under a variety of circumstances - uninvested, full investment but no item, +1 full investment no item, Life Orb, and +1 Life Orb.

The most relevant calc is probably "how does Aurora Beam do on a theoretical SpA set that uses Magnet?". Here, it is a very small chance to 3HKO, while Cyclohm clean 2HKOs us meaning it remains a counter. It is barely acceptable, as it means Cyclohm getting worn down or having to deal with Hazards is in trouble. I'm honestly not sure that it is safe. Also note this is Defensive Cyclohm with his 252 HP, so Offensive Cyclohm is in much worse shape:

252 SpA Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 136-160 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 136-160 (38 - 44.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This is more dangerous, as suddenly with some prior damage or a Life Orb, we're actually removing offensive Cyclohm as a potential counter as we also outspeed it. The 5 BP is actually quite key, as HP Ice only clean 2HKOs with Rocks up AND Life Orb:

252 SpA Life Orb Caribolt Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 161-192 (45 - 53.7%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO

Is this too much? I don't know. I'm just the dude posting numbers. But Aurora Beam does real things to Cyclohm and will be ubiquitous on all Boomburst sets as a straight upgrade to HP: Ice. I'd say given the fuss made about keeping Cylcohm as an indestructible counter, Aurora Beam definitely has me nervous compared to safer flavor moves like Icy Wind and Powder Snow.

I won't even bother to calc the others, as I can safely say that anything stronger than Aurora Beam should 100% be banned on the special side. Blizzard and Frost Breath are just completely unacceptable. If you want one more calc, here it is...

252 SpA Caribolt Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm on a critical hit: 188-222 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

PHYSICAL ICE COVERAGE

Let's get to the calcs:

252 Atk Magnet Galvanize Caribolt Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 45-53 (12.6 - 14.8%) -- possible 7HKO

252 Atk Rotom-Mow Caribolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 80-96 (19 - 22.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Rotom-Mow Caribolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 158-188 (37.6 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Caribolt Avalanche (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 146-174 (34.7 - 41.4%) -- 72.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Caribolt Avalanche (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 292-344 (69.5 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Caribolt Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 104-124 (24.7 - 29.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Caribolt Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 206-244 (49 - 58%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Caribolt Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 194-230 (46.1 - 54.7%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Caribolt Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 388-458 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Caribolt Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 108-128 (30.2 - 35.8%) -- 33.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Caribolt Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 140-166 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Caribolt Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 262-310 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Caribolt Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 214-252 (59.9 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Caribolt Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 278-328 (77.8 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Caribolt Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cyclohm: 522-616 (146.2 - 172.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

At first I was surprised - despite coming off our higher, SD-boosted physical attack, Ice Fang seems worse than Aurora Beam. But this makes sense versus our primary target, as Cyclohm tends to invest heavily in physical bulk and is a naturally bulky 'mon. I was so surprise that I threw in Avalanche and Icicle Crash, which have not been mentioned, just to see what happens, as well as Subzero Slammer coming off the Crash.

The fear here is that we can easily get to +2, something that isn't possible for a SpA set. Sword Dance does get us into range of 2HKO'ing offensive Cyclohm, but we'd need to already be on a sweep. Does that mean Cyclohm isn't a counter, if we can get to +2 AND then nail it on the switch-in and hit it one more time? I don't know. I don't think so, as that is a true worst case scenario.

I did include Icicle Crash and Avalanche for human interest, but those are clearly not acceptable. Ice Ball was not calced, but as it locks us in and is effectively a 60 BP move over three turns, it seems totally safe. I submit to the thread to determine if Ice Fang is safe, but imo if we are afraid of High Horsepower/Drill Run, we absolutely should ban Ice Fang.

252 SpA Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 136-160 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Caribolt Aurora Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 136-160 (38 - 44.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This is more dangerous, as suddenly with some prior damage or a Life Orb, we're actually removing offensive Cyclohm as a potential counter as we also outspeed it. The 5 BP is actually quite key, as HP Ice only clean 2HKOs with Rocks up AND Life Orb:
I'm confused about your conclusion against offensive Cylcohm. Here are the calcs of HP Ice vs. Aurora Beam:

252 SpA Rotom-Mow Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 124-148 (34.7 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Rotom-Mow Aurora Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 136-160 (38 - 44.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Rotom-Mow Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 161-192 (45 - 53.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Rotom-Mow Aurora Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 177-208 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The only difference is an abysmal 4% chance to 2HKO? You say it's dangerous because we 2HKO with "some prior damage or a Life Orb" but if that's the case we clearly 2HKO with either move. The 5 BP increase makes no significant difference against offensive Cyclohm.

The calcs that have a more substantial difference are actually with a Life Orb against defensive Cylcohm:

252 SpA Life Orb Rotom-Mow Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cyclohm: 161-190 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Rotom-Mow Aurora Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cyclohm: 174-205 (41.5 - 48.9%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

15% chance is more significant than 4%, although it is still a rather low number. I guess what really matters here is whether we think there is ANY room for competitive value to be added during this stage. I think there is, as long as it is minimal. I agree with you that Aurora Beam does have competitive value over HP Ice, especially in that it frees up a Hidden Power slot. But I think it is within reason and it doesn't affect our checks. To exclude ANY move that has competitive value over the moves listen in Approved Movesets means that we really shouldn't be adding things like Leaf Storm either, since that move clearly offers competitive value in a special set over an approved move like Power Whip.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The real impact of Aurora Beam isn't the damage increase, its the freedom of running another option for Hidden Power. That allows Specs sets to threaten both Ferrothorn and Landorus-T simultaneously

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
I'd like to add that having non-HP ice coverage allows the use of Subzero Slammer on Work Up sets, which really flips the match up vs Cyclohm

252 SpA Rotom-Mow Subzero Slammer (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 248-292 (69.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Rotom-Mow Subzero Slammer (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 372-438 (104.2 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Rotom-Mow Subzero Slammer (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 248-292 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Rotom-Mow Subzero Slammer (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 372-438 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

only a little bit of chip turns Cyclohm from dedicated counter into shaky at best. I really love Aurora Beam as a flavor concept and it would be awesome to actually have a mon that uses such an overlooked move, but if preserving the C&C list is the top priority then I don't think it'd be a healthy addition.

My idea for Caribolt was to run with the "Irish" Elk theme and make a Druid! Not only did this give a bit of a different flavor angle to my movepool, I think it fits with the most recent generations (specifically Gen 6 and Gen 7) which present their starters as a "Fighter", "Mage" and "Thief"; as a mystical druidic elk Caribolt is the "Mystic/Mage" to Smokomdo's Technical "Thief" and Snaelstrom's armored "Warrior". As a result, I ended up with a slightly different emphasis on my movepool.

Movepool is color-coded for your convenience. Also, I have repeat moves in italics, and required moves in bold.
Currently WIP. Also requesting a legality check on Will-o-Wisp and Sludge Bomb.

24 total moves; 21 unique moves
  • 1 Wild Charge
  • 1 Electric Terrain
  • 1 Power Whip
  • 1 Rapid Spin
  • 1 Quick Attack
  • 1 Tackle
  • 1 Vine Whip
  • 1 Growl
  • 1 Fairy Wind
  • Evo Wild Charge
  • 4 Growl
  • 8 Fairy Wind
  • 11 Spark
  • 14 Razor Leaf
  • 16 Shock Wave
  • 19 Misty Terrain
  • 24 Body Slam
  • 28 Leech Seed
  • 33 Seed Bomb
  • 38 Noble Roar
  • 44 Solar Beam
  • 49 Charm
  • 55 Double Edge
  • 60 Swords Dance

My moveset perfectly mirrors USUM Decidueye - same levels, same rhythm:
  • At evolution, it gets a powerful attack of its new typing with Wild Charge.
  • It gets two important moves buried in Heart Scale land - Rapid Spin (an off-typeish competitive move, similar to Deciduye's U-turn), and Power Whip (a main STAB).
  • From levels 8 to 16, it gets a variety of attacks that let it cover its bases.
  • It gets its "for serious" attacks starting at 24, with Body Slam and Seed Bomb being a fine way to carry through the final Island Trials.
  • It gets a final major STAB attack of its primary type at 44.
  • It gets a move that "sharply cuts stats" at level 49.
  • Then it gets an "off-type" attack (secretly its best STAB, with Galvanize) at 55.
  • Finally, it gets an important non-attacking move at 60.

I liked the idea of Noble Roar to play into the majesty of this ‘mon, so that is here. Probably the biggest separating factor is that, since Caribolt is based on an Irish Elk, I ran with a “druidic” theme instead of the Cold and Sound based themes we’ve been seeing in thread. Fairy Wind shows up early, with Misty Terrain following along. Charm fills our “level 49 stat cutting move”. That also is my reasoning for favoring Vine Whip over the more common Leafage as our starting grass move and why we get Solar Beam as a level-up move despite it being super not useful on Caribolt, as it would make perfect sense as sort of the culmination of its druidic magic in the endgame.

Level 38: Flash

Unevolved Caribolt can't quite make the majestic cry that is Noble Roar, and instead focus on a blast of blinding light to protect themselves and scare away predators.

40 moves, 37 unique moves
  • TM 01 - Work Up
  • TM 05 - Roar
  • TM 06 - Toxic
  • TM 07 - Hail
  • TM 08 - Bulk Up
  • TM 10 - Hidden Power
  • TM 11 - Sunny Day
  • TM 15 - Hyper Beam
  • TM 16 - Light Screen
  • TM 17 - Protect
  • TM 18 - Rain Dance
  • TM 20 - Safeguard
  • TM 21 - Frustration
  • TM 24 - Thunderbolt
  • TM 25 - Thunder
  • TM 22 - Solar Beam
  • TM 27 - Return
  • TM 31 - Brick Break
  • TM 32 - Double Team
  • TM 33 - Reflect
  • TM 42 - Facade
  • TM 44 - Rest
  • TM 45 - Attract
  • TM 48 - Round
  • TM 53 - Energy Ball
  • TM 57 - Charge Beam
  • TM 59 - Brutal Swing
  • TM 68 - Giga Impact
  • TM 72 - Volt Switch
  • TM 73 - Thunder Wave
  • TM 75 - Swords Dance
  • TM 78 - Bulldoze
  • TM 86 - Grass Knot
  • TM 87 - Swagger
  • TM 88 - Sleep Talk
  • TM 90 - Substitute
  • TM 91 - Flash Cannon
  • TM 93 - Wild Charge
  • TM 96 - Nature Power
  • TM 100 - Confide

Mostly self explanatory. I included Brutal Swing and Bulldoze alongside the mandatory Brick Break to give more of a wild antler attack feel. I kept all weather-changing moves including Hail since Druid are masters of Controlling Weather. Thats also why Thunder and Thunder Bolt stick around despite being 100% flavor on a 'mon with Boomburst and poor SpA. Flash Cannon and Sludge Bomb makes an appearance to further the druidic magic (representing attacking with Light and Venom, common methods of attack for a Druid), as does Will-o-Wisp. Will-o-Wisp is probably the "spiciest" move on my list and I have requested a legality check. I think the flavor is on-point, as Will-o-Wisp is THE "Fairy Fire" of a druid imo, but I do understand that it has some competitive merit. Most of our C&C list seems far more likely to be threatened by us randomly tossing out Thunder Waves and Toxics, and we have terrible bulk to take advantage of Will-o-Wisp even with Leech Seed. However, Cawmodore is one in particular that would be immune to our built-in status and super not appreciate getting burned. Awaiting cbrevan's ruling!

14 total moves; 12 unique moves
  • Electroweb
  • Frenzy Plant
  • Giga Drain
  • Grass Pledge
  • Hyper Voice
  • Icy Wind
  • Iron Defense
  • Knock Off
  • Magnet Rise
  • Seed Bomb
  • Shock Wave
  • Snore
  • Synthesis
  • Worry Seed
Self-explanatory. We’ve got the required stuff and stuff ubiquitous on grass-types like Giga Drain and Worry Seed. Iron Defense, Magnet Rise, Electroweb represent the ability to cast Barksin, Levitate, and Web, all good druid spells :). Icy Wind makes an appearance, less for "Cold Ice Age Elk" vibes and more for "Weather-changing Druid" vibes to complement Fairy Wind and all the Weather/Terrain moves in our arsenal.

Field Egg Group
9 unique moves

Boomburst (Exploud)
Camouflage (Kecleon, Sawsbuck)
Confuse Ray (Stantler)
Captivate (Stantler)
Eerie Impulse (Manectric, Luxray)
Grassy Terrain (Sawsbuck, Gogoat)
Horn Leech (Sawsbuck, Gogoat)
Moonlight (Umbreon, Munna)
Natural Gift (Sawsbuck)

The few required moves that I couldn’t fit elsewhere ended up here. I flavored it up with some Druidic Magic - Confuse Ray, Captivate, and Camouflage from his fellow deer, Moonlight as a mostly worse recovery move, and Eerie Impulse from his electric brethren. 9 egg moves is a bit higher than Decidueye but within tolerance limits for a starter.

4 moves, 3 unique moves

Event #1: CAP Release Event

Caribolt @ Gold Bottle Cap
Level 50
OT: ReachZero
ID: 0012345
Met: 2018 CAP Release (fateful encounter)
- Celebrate
- Aromatic Mist
- Return
- Wood Hammer

In addition to celebrate, we get one more "druid magic" flavor move and Wood Hammer which I wanted to squeeze in. I don't think it's a real concern, but this also makes sure that Celebrate and Wood Hammer are exclusive with Grassy Terrain, Horn Leech, and Boom Burst

In total, we have 83 moves available. I know this is a very different take on Caribolt, so let me know what you think!

EDIT 10/29/2018: Removed Dazzling Gleam as it felt like a bit much against some of our most sacred C&C (Cyclohm and the Latis). Added Sludge Bomb and Flash Cannon which do impact our C&C a little (mostly vs Jumbao), but don't negatively impact our match-up versus what I consider our "sacred checks and counters" (Cyclohm, the Latis, and Cawmodore). Removed Smart Strike as the description didn't feel right. Added Screens to fill out our list and add a little more "mystical" to the design since I lost out on Dazzling Gleam.

EDIT 11/05/2018: Removed Sludge Bomb and Will-o-Wisp as per cbrevan's command, and added a few harmless moves (Flash, Icy Wind) to make up for it. I would consider this a completed work at this point.

Last edited:
I'll openly admit I have my own idiosyncrasies when it comes to the idea of nature magic, so the first thing I checked when I saw it was a druid was how many steel moves it got. Two is a bit low for my tastes, though I admit most other physical ones don't work well on the body we have. Maybe squeeze in Flash Cannon?

Again, this is mostly just a pet peeve of mine that metal is often portrayed opposite nature, when metals in their various forms are essential to a functioning biome.

I'll openly admit I have my own idiosyncrasies when it comes to the idea of nature magic, so the first thing I checked when I saw it was a druid was how many steel moves it got. Two is a bit low for my tastes, though I admit most other physical ones don't work well on the body we have. Maybe squeeze in Flash Cannon?

Again, this is mostly just a pet peeve of mine that metal is often portrayed opposite nature, when metals in their various forms are essential to a functioning biome.
Flash Cannon would remove Jumbao and Kyurem-B from our C&C list, so no.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Flash Cannon would remove Jumbao and Kyurem-B from our C&C list, so no.
Flash Cannon does a lot less to Jumbao than Smart Strike, which was marked as the cutoff point for Steel coverage on Caribolt, and pretty implictly marked as acceptable. Both are 3HKOs on Offensive Jumbao (Drought Flame Burst can OHKO very occasionally, though Rocks do almost always secure it), whilst on defensive Jumbao Corkscrew --> Flash Cannon never 2HKOs (Corkscrew --> Smart Strike technically can, but it's also unlikely as heck). Flash Cannon is niche at best, and does not remove Jumbao from our C+C at all.

On Kyurem-B... Brick Break is mandated.

My idea for Caribolt was to run with the "Irish" Elk theme and make a Druid! Not only did this give a bit of a different flavor angle to my movepool, I think it fits with the most recent generations (specifically Gen 6 and Gen 7) which present their starters as a "Fighter", "Mage" and "Thief"; as a mystical druidic elk Caribolt is the "Mystic/Mage" to Smokomdo's Technical "Thief" and Snaelstrom's armored "Warrior". As a result, I ended up with a slightly different emphasis on my movepool.

Movepool is color-coded for your convenience. Also, I have repeat moves in italics, and required moves in bold.
Currently WIP. Also requesting a legality check on Will-o-Wisp.

• 1 Wild Charge
  • 1 Electric Terrain
  • 1 Power Whip
  • 1 Rapid Spin
  • 1 Quick Attack
  • 1 Tackle
  • 1 Vine Whip
  • 1 Growl
  • 1 Fairy Wind
  • Evo Wild Charge
  • 4 Growl
  • 8 Fairy Wind
  • 11 Spark
  • 14 Razor Leaf
  • 16 Shock Wave
  • 19 Misty Terrain
  • 24 Body Slam
  • 28 Leech Seed
  • 33 Seed Bomb
  • 38 Noble Roar
  • 44 Solar Beam
  • 49 Charm
  • 55 Double Edge
  • 60 Swords Dance

• It gets two important moves buried in Heart Scale land - Rapid Spin (an off-typeish competitive move, similar to Deciduye's U-turn), and Power Whip (a main STAB).
  • From levels 8 to 16, it gets a variety of attacks that let it cover its bases.
  • It gets its "for serious" attacks starting at 24, with Body Slam and Seed Bomb being a fine way to carry through the final Island Trials.
  • Then it gets an "off-type" attack (secretly its best STAB, with Galvanize) at 55.

I liked the idea of Noble Roar to play into the majesty of this ‘mon, so that is here. Probably the biggest separating factor is that, since Caribolt is based on an Irish Elk, I ran with a “druidic” theme instead of the Cold and Sound based themes we’ve been seeing in thread. Fairy Wind shows up early, with Misty Terrain following along. Charm fills our “level 49 stat cutting move”. That also is my reasoning for favoring Vine Whip over the more common Leafage as our starting grass move and why we get Solar Beam as a level-up move despite it being super not useful on Caribolt, as it would make perfect sense as sort of the culmination of its druidic magic in the endgame.

• TM 01 - Work Up
  • TM 05 - Roar
  • TM 06 - Toxic
  • TM 07 - Hail
  • TM 08 - Bulk Up
  • TM 10 - Hidden Power
  • TM 11 - Sunny Day
  • TM 15 - Hyper Beam
  • TM 18 - Rain Dance
  • TM 17 - Protect
  • TM 20 - Safeguard
  • TM 21 - Frustration
  • TM 24 - Thunderbolt
  • TM 25 - Thunder
  • TM 22 - Solar Beam
  • TM 27 - Return
  • TM 31 - Brick Break
  • TM 32 - Double Team
  • TM 42 - Facade
  • TM 44 - Rest
  • TM 45 - Attract
  • TM 48 - Round
  • TM 53 - Energy Ball
  • TM 57 - Charge Beam
  • TM 59 - Brutal Swing
  • TM 61 - Will-O-Wisp
  • TM 67 - Smart Strike
  • TM 68 - Giga Impact
  • TM 72 - Volt Switch
  • TM 73 - Thunder Wave
  • TM 75 - Swords Dance
  • TM 78 - Bulldoze
  • TM 86 - Grass Knot
  • TM 87 - Swagger
  • TM 88 - Sleep Talk
  • TM 90 - Substitute
  • TM 93 - Wild Charge
  • TM 96 - Nature Power
  • TM 99 - Dazzling Gleam
  • TM 100 - Confide

Mostly self explanatory. I included Brutal Swing, Smart Strike, and Bulldoze alongside the mandatory Brick Break to give more of a wild antler attack feel. I kept all weather-changing moves including Hail since Druid are masters of Controlling Weather. Thats also why Thunder and Thunder Bolt stick around despite being 100% flavor on a 'mon with Boomburst and poor SpA. Dazzling Gleam makes an appearance to further the druidic magic, as does Will-o-Wisp. Will-o-Wisp is probably the "spiciest" move on my list and I have requested a legality check. I think the flavor is on-point, as Will-o-Wisp is THE "Fairy Fire" of a druid imo, but I do understand that it has some competitive merit. Most of our C&C list seems far more likely to be threatened by us randomly tossing out Thunder Waves and Toxics, and we have terrible bulk to take advantage of Will-o-Wisp even with Leech Seed. However, Cawmodore is one in particular that would be immune to our built-in status and super not appreciate getting burned. Awaiting cbrevan's ruling!

13 total moves; 11 unique moves
  • Electroweb
  • Frenzy Plant
  • Giga Drain
  • Grass Pledge
  • Hyper Voice
  • Iron Defense
  • Knock Off
  • Magnet Rise
  • Seed Bomb
  • Shock Wave
  • Snore
  • Synthesis
  • Worry Seed
Self-explanatory. We’ve got the required stuff and stuff ubiquitous on grass-types. Iron Defense, Magnet Rise, Electroweb represent the ability to cast Barksin, Levitate, and Web, all good druid spells :).

Field Egg Group
9 unique moves

Boomburst (Exploud)
Confuse Ray (Stantler)
Captivate (Stantler)
Natural Gift (Sawsbuck)

The few required moves that I couldn’t fit elsewhere ended up here. I flavored it up with some Druidic Magic - Confuse Ray, Captivate, and Camouflage from his fellow deer, Moonlight as a mostly worse recovery move, and Eerie Impulse from his electric brethren. 9 egg moves is a bit higher than Decidueye but within tolerance limits for a starter.

4 moves, 3 unique moves

Level 50
- Celebrate
- Aromatic Mist
- Return
- Wood Hammer

In addition to celebrate, we get one more "druid magic" flavor move and Wood Hammer which I wanted to squeeze in. I don't think it's a real concern, but this also makes sure that Celebrate and Wood Hammer are exclusive with Grassy Terrain, Horn Leech, and Boom Burst

In total, we have 81 moves available. I know this is a very different take on Caribolt, so let me know what you think!
I like the theme you picked, but I have two one issues with the moves.

In terms of flavour, I think that Leafage looks more druid like than vine whip. The leafy fur of out deer suggest this, also. I can't imagine this Mon using some vines.

Competitively, Dazzling Gleam looks a bit problematic. A good amount of our C&C are Dragon types, and regarding that, a Fairy type move is kind of the same as having an Ice type move. A Special Attacker set could easily handle Cyclohm with Dazzling Gleam:

252 SpA Life Orb Rotom-Mow Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 216-255 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Is Psychic a good fit for the Druid theme in place of Dazzling Gleam? I think it doesn't mess with the C&C list as Fairy or Ice attacks, as only Amoonguss is hit Super Effectively by this.

Last edited:

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
In terms of flavour, I think that Leafage looks more druid like than vine whip. The leafy fur of out deer suggest this, also. I can't imagine this Mon using some vines.
I agree with this sentiment, however Power Whip is already on the list of required moves so given it's lack of anything else it'll probably have to use vines anyway.

On some other suggested moves, I also agree with not adding Dazzling Gleam, it wouldn't be as constraining as ice coverage but it's still an issue that I think would be best avoided given the amount of Dragons on the C&C list. I don't mind Flash Cannon, the only thing it can really mess with is offensive Jumbao but is pretty poor otherwise.

Given the whole light show flavor people are leaning toward I'd also like to throw Psybeam and Signal Beam into the mix for flavor moves. Neither move is strong enough to harm the C&C list, Signal Beam is self-explanatory and as pastafari suggest some kind of Psychic move would fit the flavor and I think Psybeam would fit in pretty nicely.

More set feedback! I did half the thread. This is much tougher, as I like each set in a vacuum.

Frostbiyt: Generally love it. You hit some good flavor and keep your ice coverage on the right side of the line. I do think Icy Wind is more flavorful, and likely safe, but appreciate you keeping it as sub HP Ice levels. You definitely emphasize “ancient railgun” over “stag”, but that isn’t a bad thing. One complaint; Spark makes way more sense than Thunder Fang, so I was surprised to see you eschew Spark and include Fang. Why is that?

Yoshiblaze: I like yours too, although I’d love more description to sell me. This is similar to Frostbiyts, but ditches the cold flavor. I like how your layout of level-up moves matches Deciduye so well, and would like to see the same thought process for your tutor and egg moves.

Wugus: You are sort of the apotheosis of the “railgun” respect, with Boomburst as a level-up move and Zap Cannon. I do like it, as I like the sound-based focus. Personally I’m more into the Elk/horn fighter aspect, but I enjoy it overall. I do like that you also include some antler stuff but more focused on trampling with them,hence the Bulldoze and Rototiller. Noble Roar is also a 10/10 inclusion - I loved it so much it ended up on my set too. I guess my turn-off is this almost feels like it is doing too much? You’ve got some “royalty” (Noble Roar), lots of “cannon” (Zap Cannon, Flash Cannon, Electro Web), a “sonic-based attacker” (Uproar, Hyper Voice), a little “rampaging elk” stuff, and a “team player” stuff with Helping Hand and After You. I’d like to see things pare down a bit.

iFeedback: I dig the Christmas flavored event Pokemon. I’ve written lots about Aurora Beam, and I do worry it’s a bit much (which also means the Dazzling Gleam on my own set is too much, unfortunately), but the cold flavor here is good. I also appreciate that you emphasize the “Elk” part of Caribolt, with Horn Leech in levelup and Stomp and Double Kick in the movepool. As a result though, having a bunch of life leeching moves (Absorb, Giga Drain) in the movepool over physical moves like Leafage, Takedown, Body Slam, and Wood Hammer feels a little weird.

GLuke: This is a lot of what I loved about the above set, but with a little bit more aggression. Also enjoy Flash as a nod to its rudolph-y nose; I am sad I couldn’t seem to fit Flash into my own movepool. If I were to fully embrace a...cool...Caribolt, this would likely be my pick.

RolandLePreux: To me, you do a nice job of marrying the “powerful Elk” and “Powerful Cannon” flavors with a story; physical early, cannon late. Your argument on WHY to avoid the icy/Christmas theme is also logical. Overall, in a very very close thread with a lot of brilliant sets, this is probably actually my front runner since it doesn’t do anything too “cute” while also making logical arguments for why its moveset is built the way it is. I’d like it to hew a little closer to Decidueye’s build and I think if you’re going to make a stance on sound-based moves you should commit and avoid Hyper Voice and Uproar as well but overall no real complaints.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
More set feedback! I did half the thread. This is much tougher, as I like each set in a vacuum.

Frostbiyt: Generally love it. You hit some good flavor and keep your ice coverage on the right side of the line. I do think Icy Wind is more flavorful, and likely safe, but appreciate you keeping it as sub HP Ice levels. You definitely emphasize “ancient railgun” over “stag”, but that isn’t a bad thing. One complaint; Spark makes way more sense than Thunder Fang, so I was surprised to see you eschew Spark and include Fang. Why is that?
I went back and forth on Spark or Thunder Fang. Reading the in game descriptions for Spark just now, I think it may be a better fit as it is described as "An electrically charged tackle" which does seem more fitting than Thunder Fang.

Hey, hawk1113! I appreciate your thoughts on the movepool!
As a result though, having a bunch of life leeching moves (Absorb, Giga Drain) in the movepool over physical moves like Leafage, Takedown, Body Slam, and Wood Hammer feels a little weird.
I chose to go with the Grass-type life leeching route to follow a pattern more similar to the other grass deer pokemon, Deerling. I don't see Caribolt naturally throwing Vines and Leaves at it's opponent, so the "Absorb route" felt more natural than Leafage and Vine Whip. I will consider changing that! Once more, thank you for your thoughts on the movepool!

RolandLePreux: To me, you do a nice job of marrying the “powerful Elk” and “Powerful Cannon” flavors with a story; physical early, cannon late. Your argument on WHY to avoid the icy/Christmas theme is also logical. Overall, in a very very close thread with a lot of brilliant sets, this is probably actually my front runner since it doesn’t do anything too “cute” while also making logical arguments for why its moveset is built the way it is. I’d like it to hew a little closer to Decidueye’s build and I think if you’re going to make a stance on sound-based moves you should commit and avoid Hyper Voice and Uproar as well but overall no real complaints.
I'm honored by the compliment, and I think we all appreciate your feedback! I kept Uproar since it theoretically represents sound that could come from the cannon, and therefore it could fit as a necessary move to support the presence of Boomburst. However, I got rid of Hyper Voice since it suggests sound coming from the mouth and Sawsbuck, Stantler, and Zebstrika (my main flavor comparisons) do not learn the move anyway. I also changed the levels at which Caribolt learns its moves to match the Gen 7 starters. Thanks!

Last edited:
WIP

Bold = required moves
Italics = repeated moves

1 Ion Deluge
1 Grassy Terrain
1 Electric Terrain

1 Solar Beam
1 Zap Cannon
1 Tackle
1 Leer
1 Leafage
1 Double Kick
Evo Horn Leech
4 Leer
6 Leafage
8 Double Kick

11 Spark
15 Razor Leaf
19 Icy Wind
24 Stomp
29 Aromatherapy
35 Bulk Up
41 Double Edge

48 Wild Charge
54 Wood Hammer
60 Synthesis

66 Solar Beam
72 Zap Cannon

78 Hyper Beam

Caribolt's level up moveset is reminiscent of the other two deer, Stantler and Sawsbuck, with several kick and hoof moves, as well as several recoil attacks, but, as a Grass/Electric type, has several other staples of those types. Caribolt typically uses its body and antlers for attacks, bulking up and tackling or making physical contact with most of its moves, but as it gets older and wiser, it learns to use its railgun antlers for more special attacks, most notably Solar Beam, Zap Cannon, and Hyper Beam. As an arctic caribou, Caribolt also has some weak ice-type coverage, summoning cold winds for its favorite environment, allowing it to carry scents towards it in order to be aware of predators.

CAP25G-1 Quick Attack
CAP25G-1, Powder Snow

Quick Attack is the faster, but weaker version of CAP25G-2's Stomp. Powder Snow is the weaker version of CAP25G-2's Icy Wind. Take Down is the weaker version of Double Edge.

Wood Hammer (Chesnaught)
Power Whip (Venusaur)
Leech Seed (Venusaur)
Body Slam (Meganium)
Natural Gift (Pansage)
Boomburst (Exploud)
Aurora Veil (Ninetales-A)
Thrash (Tauros)
Mega Kick (Mudsdale)
Leaf Storm (Serperior)
Aromatherapy (Sawsbuck)
Nature Power (Sawsbuck)
Me First (Stantler)
Flash (Stantler)
Aurora Beam (Delibird)
Present (Delibird)

As Stantler and Sawsbuck share the majority of their movesets, I felt that Caribolt should do much of the same, getting important moves from each other deer. Egg Moves and Tutor Moves are also the place for moves I didn't feel like fit in with Caribolt's level up moveset, such as several vine and seed moves. And finally, I included Flash and Me First from Stantler and Present and Aurora Beam from Delibird, Flash and Me First for the Rudolph reference, Present because Caribolt definitely resembles Santa's reindeer, and Aurora Beam for the cold flavor that I want to give to Caribolt, while also appealing to the idea of his railgun antlers shooting a beam.

CAP 25 Celebration

Caribolt @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
- Celebrate
- Solar Beam
- Lock On
- Zap Cannon

Christmas 2018

Caribolt @ Lava Cookie
Level 50
- Present
- Fly
- Powder Snow
- Flash

The two events I wanted to distribute Caribolt at are the standard CAP25 Celebration event, holding a Silver Bottle Cap to signify CAP's silver anniversary, and Christmas 2018, with several moves and even Caribolt's nature and item referencing the jolly fat man and his reindeer flying over the fresh-fallen snow.

Knock Off
Snore
Rapid Spin
Round

Uproar
Hyper Voice
Shock Wave
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Worry Seed

Frenzy Plant
Grass Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract

TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM57 Charge Beam
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Aurora Veil
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance
TM77 Psych Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute

TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge
TM96 Nature Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

The TMs list also provides a few opportunities for ballistic or cannon-based flavor, such as from Focus Blast, Energy Ball, and Flash Cannon, while also rounding out Caribolt's typical Electric and Grass-type movepool.

85 total moves

I am in the process of peeling away a lot of the skin of these movepools, and have gotten Caribolt down to 85. I've definitely removed Blizzard and Frost Breath, but Aurora Beam, Icy Wind, and Powder Snow stay. Still calling for an official ruling on Fly.

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Bolded is required,
Italicized are repeats.

HS-Electro Ball
HS-Magnet Bomb
HS-Electric Terrain
HS-Boomburst
1-Tackle
1-Growl
1-Leafage
1-Quick Attack
Evo- Electro Ball
5-Leafage
8-Quick Attack
11-Double Kick
14-Leech Seed
18-Razor Leaf
22-Spark
26-Synthesis
30-Triple Kick
34-Seed Bomb
39-Double-Edge
44-Wild Charge
51-Horn Leech
54-Natural Gift
59-Giga Impact
65-Zap Cannon

longer description TBA, but the biggest focus here, more than just having antlers, is moves classified as "ballistic" in pokemon's code, stuff like zap cannon, seed bomb and what i've sort of made to be its "signature" move, electro ball, which is both a bullet move and directly related to its electric typing and speed. boomburst and magnet bomb also relate to railguns, as those things are absolutely loud and i dont see boomburst on any sort of prevo so its not an egg move here. oh and magnet bomb is literally a projectile shot at high speeds using electrical stuff, so veery fitting.
other than that, i chose to for now omit electric moves at the beginning of its movepool, as we still havent decided on the typings of its prevos. also, lots of kicks, including the now de-signatured triple kick, yay!

Grassy Terrain
Power Whip
Body Slam
Rapid Spin

Eerie Impulse
Mega Kick

again, description TBA, but the other required moves, including power whip which i dont see rlly fitting the main movepool. solo field because thats the goto mammal group and cari doesnt rlly fit any other, since grass group is exclusively for living plant stuff. non-required moves are eerie impulse, which if the prevo isnt electric can act as a bit of foreshadowing since its not extremely electric related and wooper also gets it through eggs, and mega kick, which is like the perfect kick move for cari, considering it gets galv boosted, but didnt rlly fit into the main set.

TM01 Work Up
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM53 Energy Ball
TM57 Charge Beam
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance
TM81 X-Scissor
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge
TM96 Nature Power
TM100 Confide

again again, TBA, but not a lot to say. x-scissor, brutal swing and smart strike all relate to the huge antlers that can swing and stab, and flash cannon and energy ball relate to the railgun theme. nice.

Snore
Electroweb
Low Kick
Uproar
Shock Wave
Worry Seed
Giga Drain
Synthesis
Signal Beam
Magnet Rise
Endeavor
Icy Wind
Seed Bomb
Hyper Voice
Knock Off

also TBA, a lot of non-required moves here but not a lot that arent just given out to grass and electric. worry seed is pretty weird, but all grass types get it so sure. low kick is the final kick move we got, and signal beam is the final gun move. icy wind is the most cari'll get for ice moves, since after all something like empoleon is based on something from the poles and only gets that as ice flavor, beyond the ice moves it gets as a water mon. finally, uproar and hyper voice foreshadow boomburst oooo

Aerial Ace
Attract
Body Slam
Boomburst
Brick Break
Brutal Swing
Bulk Up
Charge Beam
Confide
Double Kick
Double Team
Double-Edge
Eerie Impulse
Electric Terrain
Electro Ball
Electroweb
Endeavor
Energy Ball
Facade
Flash Cannon
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Grassy Terrain
Hidden Power
Horn Leech
Hyper Beam
Hyper Voice
Icy Wind
Knock Off
Leafage
Leech Seed
Low Kick
Magnet Bomb
Magnet Rise
Mega Kick
Natural Gift
Nature Power
Power Whip
Protect
Quick Attack
Rapid Spin
Razor Leaf
Rest
Return
Round
Seed Bomb
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Sleep Talk
Smart Strike
Snore
Solar Beam
Spark
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swords Dance
Synthesis
Thunder
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Toxic
Triple Kick
Uproar
Volt Switch
Wild Charge
Wild Charge
Work Up
Worry Seed
X-Scissor
Zap Cannon

I agree with this sentiment, however Power Whip is already on the list of required moves so given it's lack of anything else it'll probably have to use vines anyway.

On some other suggested moves, I also agree with not adding Dazzling Gleam, it wouldn't be as constraining as ice coverage but it's still an issue that I think would be best avoided given the amount of Dragons on the C&C list. I don't mind Flash Cannon, the only thing it can really mess with is offensive Jumbao but is pretty poor otherwise.

Given the whole light show flavor people are leaning toward I'd also like to throw Psybeam and Signal Beam into the mix for flavor moves. Neither move is strong enough to harm the C&C list, Signal Beam is self-explanatory and as pastafari suggest some kind of Psychic move would fit the flavor and I think Psybeam would fit in pretty nicely.
Thanks for your feedback! Flash Cannon is in, Dazzling Gleam is out. I also snuck in Sludge Bomb (poison is a common Druid attack form) but requested a legality check due to its power versus Jumbao and Tangrowth. I'll probably cut it.

Something I'd really like to see added to the movepools are grass pledge, fire pledge, water pledge. These moves never really got used beyond gen 5. But they have amazing double battle effects

Something I'd really like to see added to the movepools are grass pledge, fire pledge, water pledge. These moves never really got used beyond gen 5. But they have amazing double battle effects
The pledges are already a part of the starter's tutor list if you bother to read the opening post and they're not really used much competitively, they're mostly flavor, right now doubles is irrelevant since we're building CAP 25s for singles.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yo. This is a late response to a number of questions, so I'll do my best to tag anyone affected by decisions I'll be making. My current plan is to wrap up movepools as quickly as possible, so expect a 48 hour warning in the next couple of days. I want to give people enough time to edit movepools across all the threads if needed, so I plan to give at least a day's time before I drop the 48 hour warning.

The bulk of this post will be about move decisions. I did my best to tag everyone affected by these decisions, but I can't guarantee I got everyone. Make sure you read through this post and check your submissions yourself just to be safe.

Special Ice-type coverage 64 BP and greater is banned. 65 BP will be the cut off used because its weaker than a resisted Boomburst on a single super effective hit, such as against Mega Latios. The only case where it does more damage is against Ground-types which already have a neutral matchup against Caribolt and aren't specified on our threatlist. It does allow usage of Hidden Power Fire to snipe Ferrothorn, but such a set would be short on move slots. Tagging Granny Pie iFeedback Roland le preaux Dogfish44

Ice Fang and all other physical Ice-type coverage is banned. Unlike special sets, physical Ice-type coverage does allow us to power through a lot of key Grass- and Dragon-type checks such as the Mega Latis, Cyclohm, Jumbao, etc.

Celebrate is allowed, as a sweeping set its generally inferior to Swords Dance Quick Attack which allows for a more flexible game plan and item usage. Celebrate does allow Caribolt to run coverage such as Brick Break and Smart Strike over Quick Attack, but keep in mind that physical coverage has been limited on the assumption of a +2 boost and possible LO and Z crystals. This means on a Celebrate set Smart Strike doesn't 2hko Trace Jumbao with Lefties, Brick Break doesn't 2HKO Ferrothorn if you factor in Lefties, Knock Off fails to OHKO Mega Latios and is a roll to 2HKO Mega Latias without rocks. On top of that, even Double Edge looks a lot less frightening without an extra +1 boost and Magnet. In terms of matchups, there really isn't anything Celebrate would swing that a Swords Dance set doesn't already cover. Against slower threats it hits for far more, and against most faster Pokemon sans the Mega Latis +2 Quick Attack is already getting there. In short, the set is gimmicky enough that I think Celebrate can be considered a flavor move.

On that note, Agility is also allowed. Caribolt just really doesn't need a speed boost when it already has some of the best priority in the meta. It does enable Boomburst Agility sets but what matchups that swings that Swords Dance doesn't, I can't really say. At best it enables a slightly different playstyle and a large amount of submissions have included the move.

Low Kick is banned because it damage scales above 75 BP. Tagging Reiga Roland le preaux

Mega Kick is allowed. We didn't move to exclude reasonably high BP normal moves (not Self Destruct and Explosion) in moveset discussion, I see no reason to do so here, especially when Double Edge, Return, and Facade are legal.

Pursuit is allowed, its functionally worse than Knock Off in respect to damage output. It is better in some situations, but they're so specific I'm unconcerned about it.

Bounce and Fly are banned because they enable Swords Dance sets to OHKO Trace Jumbao and Mega Latios with SSSS. Technically Aerial Ace also is a guaranteed OHKO on Jumbao, but I seriously doubt the viability of Aerial Ace due to a heavy reliance on being boosted by a Z crystal. Tagging Menshay Granny Pie

Focus Blast is banned, I don't think special sets need the ability to melt Ferrothorn outside of HP Fire. Tagging Granny Pie

Auora Veil is banned for being a powerful as hell move even if Caribolt would need Hail support to set it. Tagging Granny Pie

Sludge Bomb is banned for putting pressure on Jumbao. This is relevant especially for special sets since Jumbao is one of the best answers to that set. Tagging hawk1113

Will-o-Wisp is banned because of how it swings a lot of neutral matchups by crippling potential pivots, such as Landorus-t and Ferrothorn. There really is no reason to give Caribolt access to burns from a competitive standpoint, and I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to status. Tagging @hawk113

I planned to respond to any errors I caught when doing legality checks as a way of responding to individual submissions, but everyone did such a stellar job posting that it would be easier to thank everyone who posted for doing a great job. I also want to remind people to double, even triple check their submissions for legality- make sure every mandatory move is in, none of the banned moves are included, and that your move count is accurate and under the limit designated in the OP. I didn't have the time to do this sort of legality checking yet, so it'll have to wait until I call the 48 hour warning. Also, make sure you include Final Submission at the top of your post when you're ready to finalize your submission. I can't approve anything without it, so make sure you don't forget!

To the one move illegality made as of the time of post: Reiga X-Scissor is a banned move, its listed under "Physical Bug-type coverage of 60 BP and greater".

Final Submission

Bold - required moves
Italics - repeated moves

1 Sheer Cold
1 Tackle
1 Growl
1 Leafage
1 Electric Terrain
Evo Horn Leech
3 Growl
7 Leech Seed
9 Leafage
11 Powder Snow
14 Spark
16 Double Kick
19 Razor Leaf
24 Icy Wind
29 Take Down
33 Stomp
39 Wild Charge
43 Double-Edge
51 Sheer Cold
53 Zap Cannon
57 Aromatherapy
62 Wood Hammer

I followed a pattern similar to the recent starters such as Decidueye and Chesnaught. I added a lot of flavor moves, heavily referencing 25g's design. As other common starters, it starts with weaker moves such as Tackle, Leafage and Growl, as well as nice flavor options like Electric Terrain and Horn Leech, the later which is also our evolution move of choice. Early on the moveset, it gets common Grass- and Electric-type move that are staples in common pokemon of these types such as Spark and Razor Leaf as well as flavor moves like Double Kick and Powder Snow, the first being common in deer-ish pokemon like Sawsbuck and Stantler, and the second adding Ice-type flavor. Midway through the movepool, it gets Stomp, Wild Charge and Take Down, powerful STAB/flavor options, as well as Icy Wind for the Ice-type flavor. In the later parts of the movepool, it gains Zap Cannon and Sheer Cold - referencing it's static design as well as it's Elk inspiration (an animal that is found in cold places). It also gains the powerful Double-Edge, common in deer-ish and horse-ish pokemon, as well as Arometherapy as the late support move of choice. Wood Hammer was added as a late powerful Grass-type STAB.

CAP25g-1, CAP25g-2 - Feint Attack
CAP25g-1, CAP25g-2 - Quick Attack
By a prior evolution, we get and Quick Attack, a move that is commonly seen in this category on a few starter pokemon's movepool. We also get Feint Attack, common in pokemon like Deerling.

CAP 25 Celebration

Caribolt @ Relic Silver
Level 50
Ability: Overgrow
OT: Cooper
ID: 003089
- Celebrate
- Horn Leech
- Electric Terrain
- Zap Cannon

Christmas 2018

Caribolt @ Lava Cookie
Level 50
- Celebrate
- Magnet Rise
- Present
- Horn Leech

Since this is a Celebration CAP, I decided to give it Celebrate in an event. I added an extra event for flavor celebrating Christmas with Celebrate, Present is obvious and Magnet Rise because of Santa's flying reindeer.
Thank you, Dogfish44 for kindly allowing me to use your event teamplate!

TM01 Work Up
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM53 Energy Ball
TM54 False Swipe
TM57 Charge Beam
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM68 Giga Impact
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM93 Wild Charge
TM96 Nature Power
TM100 Confide

Snore
Electroweb
Uproar
Shock Wave
Giga Drain
Synthesis
Endeavor
Icy Wind
Seed Bomb
Hyper Voice
Knock Off
Not much to say. We get access to the moves we need in Synthesis and Knock Off as well as flavor moves like Icy Wind and Shock Wave. I removed Bounce, although it is very flavorful, it can mess around with our checks and counters list.

Grass Pledge
Frenzy Plant

Boomburst (Exploud)
Power Whip* (Venusaur)
Rapid Spin (Excadrill)
Sheer Cold (Ninetales-alola)
Grassy Terrain* (Venusaur)
Body Slam (Meganium)
Natural Gift* (Cherrim)
Here are some required moves I didn't think would quite fit in the learnset, like Boomburst and Rapid Spin, as well as flavor options like Sheer Cold. I put it on the Field and Grass egg-groups to get those moves, while also referencing it's design (similar to other pokemon in Field and Grass egg groups).

Total of moves: 79

I followed a level-up pattern similar to Chesnaught's and Decidueye's - our most recent Grass-type starters. We'll start with standard low-level STABs in Leafage and Spark and, midway through the movepool, we'll get more powerful STAB options. We also have our Ice-type flavor (Decidueye has the Flying-type and Chesnaught has the Ground-type flavors in their respective movepools). Later, we get our powerful STABs and our late support move.

The druid

I tried to follow a movepool pattern that resembled a RPG druid, adding support options like Aromateraphy and a mystical vibe on the movepool. Not much else to say about it.

Holly sh*t!

I drastically changed the earlier level up moves to add more flavor related to the holly leaves on Caribolt's body. As Magistrum said, it's coat is full of it. I see Caribolt throwing these leaves at it's opponent during a battle. That's why Leafage and Razor Leaf were added to the movepool.

Oh, deer!

I gave Caribolt common deerish flavor. Double Kick was added in the level up section and Feint Attack in the by a prior evolution section for this particular flavor. Stomp, Take Down and Double-Edge were also added for that matter.

Ice Age 6: The Elk Strikes Back

I gave Caribolt a lot of Ice-type flavor. Powder Snow, Icy Wind and Sheer Cold were all added to the level up section for the frosty flavor I wanted this pokemon to have. The reasons for that were already explained during the earlier stages of this thread, so I don't feel the need to explain it again. I also only gave it Hail as opposed to giving Sunny Day or Rain Dance as well to emphasize the frosty flavor.

Few explanations

I feel like I have discussed my thoughts on my Caribolt movepool a lot ever since the beginning of the thread both here on the forums and on Discord, so I added just a few explanations in here. I feel like I have explained my thought process enough. If anyone has any questions, I will gladly answer them!

Last edited:
Final Submission

(Required moves are bolded and repeated moves are in italics.)

Movepool Flavor:

Caribolt is a proud and fiercely competitive warrior. Despite its great physical strength, it prefers to begin battle by launching powerful blasts from its railgun-like horns. It will target its opponents with a variety of ranged attacks: spheres of photosynthetic energy, blasts of metallic power, and overwhelming but inaccurate bursts of electromagnetic force. These showy displays will scare off hungry Sneasels with ease, and they provide a way for rival Caribolt to duel in the mating season without threatening unnecessary injury.

Only against enemies who present a serious challenge will a Caribolt charge, striking with fervent and occasionally reckless attacks. Sharp antlers threaten fatal wounds, and powerful kicks punish foes who miss an important strike. Caribolt are so competitive that they may resort to underhanded tactics when desperate. Even the winner of these battles rarely escapes unscathed; such is the immense strength and pride of these Pokemon.

Move Lists:

1 Horn Leech
1 Zap Cannon
1 Power Whip
1 Electric Terrain
1 Tackle
1 Leafage
1 Growl
1 Charge
Evo. Horn Leech
4 Growl
8 Charge
11 Quick Attack
14 Double Kick
16 Spark
19 Razor Leaf
24 Take Down
28 Synthesis
33 Wild Charge
38 Flash Cannon
44 Energy Ball
49 Double-Edge
55 Ion Deluge
60 Zap Cannon
66 Hyper Beam

Count: 20 moves

At early levels, I have Caribolt and its pre-evolutions learn mostly physical attacks, assuming that the baby elk starter would not yet have a mighty cannon on its head. I justified Leafage and Razor Leaf based on Caribolt's brushy green back texture. Perhaps the elk can fling leaves and summon vines from its broad, spiky shoulders. In the same vein, I included Power Whip as a Heart Scale move. Charge makes sense with the Grass-type's tendency to absorb solar energy, and Spark is learned after the first evolution, possibly after a middle stage gains the Electric typing. I intentionally excluded Leech Seed from the level-up movepool, as passive life draining does not fit with Caribolt's proud warrior spirit.

Horn Leech seems like an appropriate level-up move to accompany the development of Caribolt's majestic antlers. In order to showcase their railgun-like design, I focused on moves like Flash Cannon, Energy Ball, and Zap Cannon at later levels, despite Caribolt's bias as a physical attacker. This follows a precedent set by Torterra, who also learns powerful special moves despite having an even bigger bias toward physical attacks. I also included Wild Charge, Takedown, and Double-Edge to provide some raw power while still fitting into the mold of a Grass starter, since Venusaur learns the latter two moves by level-up. I featured Ion Deluge as the requisite high level status move, following in the example of Zebstrika, and it fits thematically thanks to Caribolt's rare x4 resistance to Electric moves. Hyper Beam is a powerful and railgun-appropriate capstone move, fitting nicely with the Hidden Ability Galvanize as a way for Caribolt to unleash its true power.

I exactly matched the levels at which Caribolt learns moves to those of Decidueye and the other Sun/Moon starters. Technically, we are making a second round of Gen 7 starters, so I think the similarity makes sense. Special thanks to hawk1113 for the feedback that encouraged me to do this!

TM01 Work Up
TM06 Toxic

TM07 Hail
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power

TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team

TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round

TM53 Energy Ball
TM57 Charge Beam
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM68 Giga Impact
TM72 Volt Switch

TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance
TM78 Bulldoze
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute

TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge

TM96 Nature Power
TM100 Confide

Count: 40 total moves / 36 new moves

Brutal Swing is objectively weaker than Knock Off in singles, and the image of an elk brutally swinging its antlers across multiple enemies is quite flavorful. Bulldoze is almost mandatory, flavor-wise, on a muscular, quadrupedal Pokemon. I included three weather moves; a Grass/Electric type will be able to abuse both Sunny Day and Rain Dance, and Hail fits thematically since Caribolt is named after a caribou/reindeer, which is an animal that comes from the snowy north. I also included Flash Cannon, as it is relatively weak coming off a base 77 Special Attack and there is strong flavor justification for it thanks to the railgun antlers and Zap Cannon as a penultimate level-up move. Using Gamefreak's other deer-Pokemon as templates, I excluded several other moves that are not found on either Stantler and Sawsbuck. For example, False Swipe seems to be mainly for Pokemon with clawed forelimbs and Low Sweep is found only on bipedal Pokemon, so neither of these TMs made it into Caribolt's final movepool.

Egg Groups: Field

Body Slam (Stantler)
Boomburst (Exploud)
Feint Attack (Sawsbuck)
Grassy Terrain (Gogoat)
Leaf Storm (Serperior)
Natural Gift (Donphan)
Pursuit (Zebstrika)
Rapid Spin (Sandslash)

Count: 8 new moves

For the Egg Group, I decided that only Field fit better than Field/Grass, since common mammalian Grass-types like Sawsbuck and Chesnaught do not belong to the latter Egg Group. All the Egg moves are therefore available from the Field group, and this restriction is partially why I included Power Whip as a Heart Scale move (because it's not accessible from Field).

Feint Attack was added to fit with the other Dark moves Knock Off and Brutal Swing, and especially because it is a level-up move for Sawsbuck, who is clearly Caribolt's closest relative in the Pokemon world. Pusuit was another appealing Dark move to get from Zebstrika. Leaf Storm was added thanks to its usefulness on a special set and its relevant flavor given that Leafage and Razor Leaf are both level-up moves.

Endeavor
Giga Drain
Icy Wind
Knock Off
Laser Focus
Seed Bomb
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Snore
Synthesis
Uproar

Worry Seed

Count: 12 total moves / 11 new moves

Icy Wind brings some additional frosty flavor to this Arctic-inspired beast. Laser Focus makes sense for a Pokemon that wants to zero in on targets with its railgun. Signal Beam was added because it's a common coverage move for Electric-types and I wanted another "beam" move to fit with the flavor of Hyper Beam being the final move learned by level-up. Bug coverage is also quite common on Grass-types, although the two types do not pair well offensively. I excluded Electroweb because it is an Electric move that Zebstrika lacks, and flavor-wise that is the most similar Electric-type to Caribolt. I also excluded Hyper Voice, because it's a move not learned by Sawsbuck, Stantler, or Zebstrika.

Grass Pledge
Frenzy Plant

No explanation needed; these are required.

Seed Bomb
Discharge

Seed Bomb and Discharge are learned instead of Flash Cannon and Zap Cannon by a pre-evolution that does not yet have the "railgun antlers" necessary to fire the latter two moves.

Caribolt @ Relic Silver
Level 50
OT: Louis
ID: 01974
- Celebrate
- Horn Leech
- Wild Charge
- Boomburst

Count: 4 total moves / 1 new move

I want Caribolt, Smokomodo, and Snaelstrom to all be on the same page when it comes to event moves. So nothing unexpected here, I simply added Celebrate for the Celebration CAP. Special thanks to Dogfish44 for the event template! Original Trainer is Louis, named after Louis Octave Fauchon-Villeplee, an inventor of the electric cannon. ID number is 1974, the year renowned paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould published an important paper on the Irish Elk. Horn Leech and Wild Charge are particularly flavorful moves, and I included Boomburst to feature a Galvanize-boosted move and make sure that omniboosting is compatible with special sets.

Move Count: 79 total

Flavor Justification:

I decided to lean into the "warrior-druid" and "I've got a railgun for antlers" aspects of Caribolt's design, rather than focusing on any connections to Rudolph or Santa's flying reindeer, which I consider a bit cheesy and not fitting with its majestic appearance. I notice some people also added a fair amount of sound moves to go along with Boomburst, but in my opinion that is one of the least flavorful of the required moves as Caribolt lacks an obvious connection to noise-making other than the incidental fact that cannons are loud. Therefore I relegated Boomburst to an egg move and only included the sound move Uproar, which could also represent a sound produced by the railgun, could be seen as a precursor to Boomburst, and has wide distribution anyway. For the warrior druid flavor, I included Double Kick, Icy Wind, and Bulldoze (which a surprising number of people omitted) and several flavorful Dark moves to go along with the mandatory Knock Off and make it seem not out of place. The railgun antlers flavor was even more important to me and influenced my special coverage and capstone moves. I hope I did Magistrum justice and made a fun movepool in the process!

Last edited:
WIP

Bold = required moves
Italics = repeated moves

1 Ion Deluge
1 Grassy Terrain
1 Electric Terrain

1 Solar Beam
1 Zap Cannon
1 Tackle
1 Leer
1 Leafage
1 Double Kick
Evo Horn Leech
4 Leer
6 Leafage
8 Double Kick

11 Spark
15 Razor Leaf
19 Icy Wind
24 Stomp
29 Aromatherapy
35 Bulk Up
41 Double Edge

48 Wild Charge
54 Wood Hammer
60 Synthesis

66 Solar Beam
72 Zap Cannon

78 Hyper Beam

Caribolt's level up moveset is reminiscent of the other two deer, Stantler and Sawsbuck, with several kick and hoof moves, as well as several recoil attacks, but, as a Grass/Electric type, has several other staples of those types. Caribolt typically uses its body and antlers for attacks, bulking up and tackling or making physical contact with most of its moves, but as it gets older and wiser, it learns to use its railgun antlers for more special attacks, most notably Solar Beam, Zap Cannon, and Hyper Beam. As an arctic caribou, Caribolt also has some weak ice-type coverage, summoning cold winds for its favorite environment, allowing it to carry scents towards it in order to be aware of predators.

CAP25G-1 Quick Attack
CAP25G-1, Powder Snow

Wood Hammer (Chesnaught)
Power Whip (Venusaur)
Leech Seed (Venusaur)
Body Slam (Meganium)
Natural Gift (Pansage)
Boomburst (Exploud)
Thrash (Tauros)
Mega Kick (Mudsdale)
Leaf Storm (Serperior)
Aromatherapy (Sawsbuck)
Nature Power (Sawsbuck)
Me First (Stantler)
Flash (Stantler)
Present (Delibird)

As Stantler and Sawsbuck share the majority of their movesets, I felt that Caribolt should do much of the same, getting important moves from each other deer. Egg Moves and Tutor Moves are also the place for moves I didn't feel like fit in with Caribolt's level up moveset, such as several vine and seed moves. And finally, I included Flash and Me First from Stantler and Present from Delibird, Flash and Me First for the Rudolph reference, Present because Caribolt definitely resembles Santa's reindeer.

CAP 25 Celebration

Caribolt @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
- Celebrate
- Solar Beam
- Lock On
- Zap Cannon

Christmas 2018

Caribolt @ Lava Cookie
Level 50
- Present
- Aerial Ace
- Powder Snow
- Flash

Knock Off
Snore
Rapid Spin
Round

Uproar
Hyper Voice
Shock Wave
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Worry Seed

Frenzy Plant
Grass Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract

TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM53 Energy Ball
TM57 Charge Beam
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM68 Giga Impact
TM72 Volt Switch

TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance
TM77 Psych Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute

TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge
TM96 Nature Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

The TMs list also provides a few opportunities for ballistic or cannon-based flavor, Energy Ball, and Flash Cannon, while also rounding out Caribolt's typical Electric and Grass-type movepool.

84 total moves

I am in the process of peeling away a lot of the skin of these movepools, and have gotten Caribolt down to 84. Not much flavor added, just taking away Focus Blast, Aurora Veil, and Aurora Beam, and Fly. Might steal some flavor later if I like it, tho. :>

Final Submission

My idea for Caribolt was to run with the "Irish" Elk theme and make a Druid! I specifically focused on a Lunar/Fairy theme, to separate myself from other druidically-inspired submissions. Not only did this give a bit of a different flavor angle to my movepool, I think it fits with the most recent generations (specifically Gen 6 and Gen 7) which present their starters as a "Fighter", "Mage" and "Thief"; as a mystical druidic elk Caribolt is the "Mystic/Mage" to Smokomdo's Technical "Thief" and Snaelstrom's armored "Warrior". As a result, I ended up with a slightly different emphasis on my movepool.

• 1 Wild Charge
  • 1 Electric Terrain
  • 1 Power Whip
  • 1 Rapid Spin
  • 1 Quick Attack
  • 1 Tackle
  • 1 Vine Whip
  • 1 Growl
  • 1 Fairy Wind
  • Evo Wild Charge
  • 4 Growl
  • 8 Fairy Wind
  • 11 Spark
  • 14 Razor Leaf
  • 16 Shock Wave
  • 19 Misty Terrain
  • 24 Body Slam
  • 28 Leech Seed
  • 33 Seed Bomb
  • 38 Noble Roar
  • 44 Solar Beam
  • 49 Charm
  • 55 Double Edge
  • 60 Swords Dance

Level 38: Flash

Unevolved Caribolt can't quite make the majestic cry that is Noble Roar, and instead focus on a blast of blinding light to protect themselves and scare away predators.

• TM 01 - Work Up
  • TM 05 - Roar
  • TM 06 - Toxic
  • TM 07 - Hail
  • TM 08 - Bulk Up
  • TM 10 - Hidden Power
  • TM 11 - Sunny Day
  • TM 15 - Hyper Beam
  • TM 16 - Light Screen
  • TM 17 - Protect
  • TM 18 - Rain Dance
  • TM 20 - Safeguard
  • TM 21 - Frustration
  • TM 24 - Thunderbolt
  • TM 25 - Thunder
  • TM 22 - Solar Beam
  • TM 27 - Return
  • TM 31 - Brick Break
  • TM 32 - Double Team
  • TM 33 - Reflect
  • TM 42 - Facade
  • TM 44 - Rest
  • TM 45 - Attract
  • TM 48 - Round
  • TM 53 - Energy Ball
  • TM 57 - Charge Beam
  • TM 59 - Brutal Swing
  • TM 68 - Giga Impact
  • TM 72 - Volt Switch
  • TM 73 - Thunder Wave
  • TM 75 - Swords Dance
  • TM 78 - Bulldoze
  • TM 86 - Grass Knot
  • TM 87 - Swagger
  • TM 88 - Sleep Talk
  • TM 90 - Substitute
  • TM 91 - Flash Cannon
  • TM 93 - Wild Charge
  • TM 96 - Nature Power
  • TM 100 - Confide

Mostly self explanatory. I included Brutal Swing and Bulldoze alongside the mandatory Brick Break (plus Body Slam and Double Edge in the movepool) to give more of a wild antler attack feel. I kept all weather-changing moves including Hail since Druid are masters of Controlling Weather. Thats also why Thunder and Thunder Bolt stick around despite being 100% flavor on a 'mon with Boomburst and poor SpA. Flash Cannon makes an appareance to give a "Light"-based attack to Caribolt (common for a druid) that is still within the tolerance limits of our C&C list. The Screens are also representative of Caribolt as a mystical warrior who can shape the battlefield to suit its whims.

14 total moves; 12 unique moves
  • Electroweb
  • Frenzy Plant
  • Giga Drain
  • Grass Pledge
  • Hyper Voice
  • Icy Wind
  • Iron Defense
  • Knock Off
  • Magnet Rise
  • Seed Bomb
  • Shock Wave
  • Snore
  • Synthesis
  • Worry Seed
Self-explanatory. We’ve got the required stuff and stuff ubiquitous on grass-types like Giga Drain and Worry Seed. Iron Defense, Magnet Rise, Electroweb represent the ability to cast Barksin, Levitate, and Web, all good druid spells :). Icy Wind makes an appearance, less for "Cold Ice Age Elk" vibes and more for "Weather-changing Druid" vibes to complement Fairy Wind and all the Weather/Terrain moves in our arsenal.

Field Egg Group
9 unique moves

Boomburst (Exploud)
Confuse Ray (Stantler)
Captivate (Stantler)
Natural Gift (Sawsbuck)

4 moves, 3 unique moves

Level 50
- Celebrate
- Aromatic Mist
- Boomburst
- Wood Hammer

In addition to celebrate, we get one more "druid magic" flavor move (Aromatic Mist) and Wood Hammer which I wanted to squeeze in. I don't think it's a real concern, but this also makes sure that Celebrate and Wood Hammer are exclusive with Grassy Terrain and Horn Leech; the omni-boosting set can't have a Grass Recoil move or the passive recovery of Terrain. I did sub in Boomburst here, however, as I felt like the entire point of the Z-Celebrate set was to have access to Boomburst and given how extremely conservative we were with coverage for Caribolt, I can't imagine it being a real issue.

In total, we have 83 moves available. I know this is a very different take on Caribolt, so let me know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)