Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

I'm brand pretty much brand new to competitive and I still have to read through all of the resources available to me before I can really grasp the fundamentals of competitive, but I wanted to at least have a starting point as far as having a team to build.

More than anything, I wanted to play with an Alolan Ninetails in OU, so I had the following questions:

• How bad would it be for Mimikyu to be brought with Alolan Ninetails since the Hail from Snow Warning would break Mimikyu's Disguise?

• How well does Mega-Mawile go with Alolan Ninetails in general?

• In the sample teams thread, what does the abbreviation "BO" stand for?

I'm brand pretty much brand new to competitive and I still have to read through all of the resources available to me before I can really grasp the fundamentals of competitive, but I wanted to at least have a starting point as far as having a team to build.

More than anything, I wanted to play with an Alolan Ninetails in OU, so I had the following questions:

• How bad would it be for Mimikyu to be brought with Alolan Ninetails since the Hail from Snow Warning would break Mimikyu's Disguise?

Snow Warning does not break disguise. Mega Mawile and Alolan Ninetails could make a decent core. If unsure read smogon analysis on these pokemon. BO stands for bulky offense.

When using Ninetales, you generally want to pair with it with slightly bulkier mons to take advantage of the additional bulk Aurora Veil provides, which normally means bulkier mons that can set up, like your Mawile or other mons like Magearna and Zygarde are great options. Minimum isn’t really a great example of this, as not only does it not really capitalise on its niche, but it’s also pretty weak and therefore doesn’t really provide the excellent matchup versus bulkier archetypes or offence, which is what you normally want out of these slots.

As for “BO”, it stands for bulky offence, which normally means a team with a few bulkier pivots that provide a good amount of offensive presence. An example of this would be something like Medicham / Greninja / Heatran / Tangrowth / Rotom-W / Tapu Lele, which has pivots that aren’t really passive and provide a decent amount of offensive presence but isn’t necessarily frail.

Thank you very much to LimaBean and curiosity.

I also didn't realize that Snow Warning wouldn't affect Mimikyu's Disguise- why is that? I thought Snow Warning is just a regular type of weather, and that weather damage always breaks the disguise.

I was also wondering if the team I quickly threw together (using the limited knowledge I have so far) consisting of Ninetails-Alola, Mawile-Mega, Heatran, Greninja-Ash, Zygard, and Skarmory had any standout issues that I should fix? Or is it solid enough that I can play around with the more specific details so that I can post a Rate My Team thread some time?

I also didn't realize that Snow Warning wouldn't affect Mimikyu's Disguise- why is that? I thought Snow Warning is just a regular type of weather, and that weather damage always breaks the disguise.
Well Mimikyu’s Disguise only breaks after direct damage, like taking an attack; indirect damage like Hail doesn’t break it. For more details, you can read Disguise’s Bulbapedia entry.
I was also wondering if the team I quickly threw together (using the limited knowledge I have so far) consisting of Ninetails-Alola, Mawile-Mega, Heatran, Greninja-Ash, Zygard, and Skarmory had any standout issues that I should fix? Or is it solid enough that I can play around with the more specific details so that I can post a Rate My Team thread some time?
The foundation of your team is solid, but I have a couple concerns with it.

Skarmory doesn’t really fit at all, since I don’t have your entire team I don’t know what exact set you’re running with it, if it’s something like lead Skarmory, that set is pretty mediocre and offense has much better leads—more on that later—and if you’re going for more of a sweeper with Swords Dance of something like that, I really wouldn’t recommend that either, as there are several more effective sweepers that could replace it.

I assume your Heatran set is probably some type of offensive Stealth Rock setter, but I’m not sure how well that’d fit into an offensive team like this one. I think a better user of Stealth Rock would be a dedicated lead such as Excadrill or simply some Stealth Rock variant of Landorus-T with a Z-move for some added effectiveness.

Another thing to note is that—while this is an offensive team—it’s still important to have something capable of stomaching a move of some problematic anti-offense Pokémon. My main concern here is Ash-Greninja, currently your own Ash-Greninja is the only thing capable of taking a hit, but it struggles to switch in so you’d have to sacrifice something, which would, in turn make it so the opponent’s Ash-Greninja would always beat your untransformed one—disregarding any potential Hydro Pump misses, that is—so having one or two offensive switch ins is very much appreciated. Magearna, Manaphy, or even both could work. Also if you were willing to change you Mega Evolution perhaps even Mega Gyarados, though Mega Mawile is probably more effective in the long run.

And lastly, Alolan Ninetales is actually rather outclassed. I left this info for later because I assume you’re a big fan of Alolan Ninetales thanks to your profile picture, so I would understand it if you don’t want to make this change. Simply put, Tapu Koko with Light Clay and Reflect is often better than Alolan Ninetales, while Tapu Koko does take two turns to set up screens, it edges out Alolan Ninetales in every other regard. It’s a lot faster and can Taunt Stealth Rock setters and Defoggers, and U-turn brings a lot to Tapu Koko’s table too.

Anyway that’s all, let me know if you have any further questions. You can also try to catch me online in the Pokémon Showdown! room Trainer’s School and I can help you there. Good luck with your team :)

Last edited:
I was thinking of making a defensive Magearna set that can compress a lot of roles, but I'm not sure what to compromise on. Here's roughly what I have in mind:

Magearna Leftovers/normalium-z
Undecided nature (lots of slashes)
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPD OR 252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 SPD OR some mix of defensive investment
- fleur cannon / iron head
- heal bell / pain split
- heart swap
- iron head / pain split

I'm looking to use this set to check Mega Mawile, Hoopa-U, and Lele. Max defense would allow Magearna to switch in on branded Hoopa without being demolished if it goes for fire punch (does over half, but can be brought back with wish support. Since only banded 2HKOs, you can switch to something the takes fire punch well). However, this makes you weaker to specs variants, as well as specs Lele. Max special defense allows you to wall special Hoopa and all Lele sets, but makes the Mawile match up less favorable. It has a chance to 3HKO, and Magearna cannot do much back without stealing boosts, and cannot heal much. If it SDs on the switch, and can 2HKO you, even after losing its boost the next turn. I want to run enough defense for Mawile, since there are few defensive checks to it, but the same can be said of specs Hoopa.

Iron head allows Magearna to do decent damage to Mawile, especially after stealing boosts. Fleur cannon is a powerful move that is great after stealing boosts from calm mind users, and you can even heart swap after using it to cripple special attackers. Furthermore, it helps Magearna check Hoopa. Its low pp is a turn off though.

Pain split provides semi-reliable recovery, and heal bell means you don't need it on another member.

So, what I was thinking with this set is that I have been using Muk-A to check Hoopa and Lele. If I can get Magearna to do that and check Mawile, I won't need a Pokemon just for Mawile. I had been using Volcarona for Mawile, which I had to fit defog on because I couldn't get it on another member (bar 1, but I feel 2 are needed). Volcarona doesn't switch in on a whole lot of stealth rockers, and generally doesn't find many opportunities to defog. If I could replace Volcarona and Muk-A with Magearna, I could get a proper defogger. I had used Moltres as a Mawile check, but it was unreliable; it needed almost full health to live thunder punch.

Is it possible to do this with Mawile? I suppose mew may be used as a defogger and Lele check, but Magearna still needs to check Hoopa. Heal bell isn't necessary, but it would ease up the moveset of the wish passer that Magearna mandates.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:
Is Gliscor a good choice for a bulky offense or balance team, or should I just use Landorus?
Gliscor definitely has some things that set it apart from bulkier Lando variants - Toxic Orb + Poison Heal give it some amazing staying power especially with Roost, it has a slightly better speed tier and can afford to make use of it even on defensive sets thanks to it's amazing recovery (so it relies less on it's defensive EVs to stay around longer), meaning it's a better check to Pokemon like Heatran, Hoopa-U, and Zygarde (if you're SD + Ice Fang or manage to hit it with a Toxic before it Subs up). This better speed tier, and better recovery mean it can also act as a breaker with Swords Dance, as it can set up several times throughout the game on Pokemon like Heatran, Toxapex, and Defog Zapdos that Lando can't do as often. It can run a Rocks set effectively too (and Defog if you really need it), as it can punish common Defoggers with Toxic.

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
What means "jump point"? For example, "96 Defense EVs with a Bold nature hits a jump point".

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What means "jump point"? For example, "96 Defense EVs with a Bold nature hits a jump point".
When investing EVs into a stat that gets boosted by a nature, sometimes 4 EVs will give 2 extra points rather than 1. People generally call that a jump point.

For example, Sassy Tyranitar gets boosted Special Defense from its nature. 12 EVs into SpDef gives a stat of 262, while 16 EVs gives a stat of 264, letting you jump over 263, so 16 SpDef EVs with a Sassy nature hits a jump point for Tyranitar.

SilverNote3

formerly the chosen nerd
Are there any decent bulky builds for MegaZardX? I wanna use him in BO because he is extremely effective against stall (frikkin Chansey Sableye core) but he's much more frail than his stats suggest. I know MegaGyara does too but...eh I just don't like him

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Are there any decent bulky builds for MegaZardX? I wanna use him in BO because he is extremely effective against stall (frikkin Chansey Sableye core) but he's much more frail than his stats suggest. I know MegaGyara does too but...eh I just don't like him
Here is a balanced team with Mega Charizard-X from a couple of months back, but anything much bulkier than this is hardly ever seen with it. This team at least has a dedicated bulky core with Tangrowth + Celesteela as well as consistent defensive counterplay to almost all of the threats you will encounter. Hope this helps!

SilverNote3

formerly the chosen nerd
Here is a balanced team with Mega Charizard-X from a couple of months back, but anything much bulkier than this is hardly ever seen with it. This team at least has a dedicated bulky core with Tangrowth + Celesteela as well as consistent defensive counterplay to almost all of the threats you will encounter. Hope this helps!
MVP <3

Hi! New here and just wanted to ask some questions to help me move forward.

What are the niches of some of the lower ranked Pokémon in the VR? Mainly these ones:
  • Mega Aerodactyl
  • Mega Manectric
  • Mega Camerupt
  • Dragonite
  • Shuckle
In case of the first three megas, wouldn't it be a waste of a move slot for a mega evolution? If someone could answer this for me, thanks a lot!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hi! New here and just wanted to ask some questions to help me move forward.

What are the niches of some of the lower ranked Pokémon in the VR? Mainly these ones:
  • Mega Aerodactyl
  • Mega Manectric
  • Mega Camerupt
  • Dragonite
  • Shuckle
In case of the first three megas, wouldn't it be a waste of a move slot for a mega evolution? If someone could answer this for me, thanks a lot!
Aero should honestly be unranked. It’s a fast attacker that has cool coverage, so it can be good against offense, but it’s rarely worth using. I personally voted to unrank it multiple times.

Manectric is a nice momentum grabber with fantastic speed, fire ice electric coverage, and intimidate. It has a niche thanks to speed + typing + effectiveness against offensive teams, especially thanks to how well it does against generic cores that rely upon Bulu or Tang for electrics. It still is fairly frail and hard to use, so it isn’t ranked too highly.

Camerupt is mainly a Pokemon of the past in OU, but it’s a nice core breaker with absurd power and a respectable defensive presence. It’s just so slow and weak to a lot of common metagame presences, so it also is ranked fairly low.

Dragonite is hardly ever used, but I never bothered to try it myself, so no comment.

Shuckle has been used as a Sticky Web setter, but it’s often outclassed by those ranked higher.

Aero should honestly be unranked. It’s a fast attacker that has cool coverage, so it can be good against offense, but it’s rarely worth using. I personally voted to unrank it multiple times.

Manectric is a nice momentum grabber with fantastic speed, fire ice electric coverage, and intimidate. It has a niche thanks to speed + typing + effectiveness against offensive teams, especially thanks to how well it does against generic cores that rely upon Bulu or Tang for electrics. It still is fairly frail and hard to use, so it isn’t ranked too highly.

Camerupt is mainly a Pokemon of the past in OU, but it’s a nice core breaker with absurd power and a respectable defensive presence. It’s just so slow and weak to a lot of common metagame presences, so it also is ranked fairly low.

Dragonite is hardly ever used, but I never bothered to try it myself, so no comment.

Shuckle has been used as a Sticky Web setter, but it’s often outclassed by those ranked higher.
Thanks for answering, and fast as well.
Yeah Aero seems incredibly hard to use, though i suppose its high speed stat could be attractive.
What types of teams generally use Mega Mane? Seems pretty interesting now that you've explained its niche. I'm guessing HO because of its speed?

Nowadays camel is mainly used on TR no?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Nowadays camel is mainly used on TR no?
Mega Camerupt is not used on the "standard" (which is not so standard at all) TR team; in fact, I have only seen it maybe once or twice on Trick Room. It used to be a nice niche option on balances that broke through specific cores (i.e: AV Magearna cores or Toxapex + Grass + Clefable -- those type of teams never had a switch-in to it). Here is an example of a Mega Camerupt team, but again it is outdated and so is most of Mega Camerupt's viability.

well, talking about mega camel, might as well share a recent team i’ve made centered around it. i’d say it gives a more fresh perspective on the mega-camerupt-balance playstyle.

~~click sprites for pokepaste~~
  • kicked off with mega camerupt, of course, and a moveset of four attacks felt like the most natural. speaking of natural, nature power helps deal with rotom-w and just hit other water-types hard under terrain.
  • then, tapu bulu was an obvious pick mostly for the terrain support but also for covering ash-greninja and zygarde all in one slot, and, c’mon we all know what tapu bulu does by now.
  • afterwards i picked gliscor, gives a heatran switch in and frees up a moveslot on mega canerupt, which is in turn really important to improve the volcarona matchup with rock slide.
  • tornadus-t forms an excellent core with gliscor and, in a way, checks pokémon like kartana, mega medicham, tapu bulu. i hate tornadus-t with less than 252 speed, but i had no choice really as this is the sole kartana answer and tornadus-t can’t drop to two smart strikes at all.
  • calm mind pain split magearna helps w the stall matchup and also covers psychic-types as a whole. complementing the tornadus-t & gliscor core quite well.
  • lastly, ash greninja brings spikes and an anti-offense tool to the table. not much else to say so i’ll leave it at that.
but yeah even though trick room is dead, there’s even less of a reason to run trick room without mega mawile, that’s way too good to pass up. and mega camerupt still has a trait or two desirable for balance, as it is quite the wallbreaker but still has plenty of defensive utility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)