The Official Name-Pronunciation Guide

Arcanine is obviously ärkāˌnīn (ar-KEH-nine). This one in main post is terribly wrong (since it is arc + canine).
Still wondering about growlithe accent tho (growl+lithe).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Rubs two pads against cheeks and applies it to thread*

CLEAR! *Shocks thread*

So, new generation means more pronunciations to argue over! Of course we also got some later Alolan additions so let's get through them now:

Poipole: poi-pole
Naganadel: naah-gaah-nay-del
Stakataka: stack-uh-tack-uh
Blacephalon: blaahs-eff-ay-lon
Zeraora: zer-aah-oar-uh
Meltan: melt-aan
Melmetal: mel-met-tuhl
Grookey: groo-kee
Scorbunny: skoar-bun-nee
Sobble: saahb-bul

I say "Naganadel" as "Naga" "Nah" "Del", the last a being a long vowel throws it off IMO.

Blacephalon probably sounds like "blast" but "cephalon" would sound similar to "ceph·a·lo·pod " as in the classification of animals, so I don't think the "ay" part is correct.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I say "Naganadel" as "Naga" "Nah" "Del", the last a being a long vowel throws it off IMO.

Blacephalon probably sounds like "blast" but "cephalon" would sound similar to "ceph·a·lo·pod " as in the classification of animals, so I don't think the "ay" part is correct.
Naganadel is a ocombination of "Naga" and "Needle" so I though the "-nadel" part would sound similar to needle. But it's not that big of a deal as either pronunciation is close enough (as with the case of many Pokemon names).

As for Blacephalon, from Bulbapedia:
Blacephalon may be a combination of blast and cephalo- (prefix relating to the head).
BTW, "cephalopod" translates to "head-feet", since cephalopod's heads (cephalo) directly connect to their tentacles which act as their feet (pod). ;)

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Naganadel is a ocombination of "Naga" and "Needle" so I though the "-nadel" part would sound similar to needle. But it's not that big of a deal as either pronunciation is close enough (as with the case of many Pokemon names).

As for Blacephalon, from Bulbapedia:

BTW, "cephalopod" translates to "head-feet", since cephalopod's heads (cephalo) directly connect to their tentacles which act as their feet (pod). ;)
"Nadel" is indeed German for needle, but this actually supports "nah-del", since that's how "Nadel" is pronounced, and not "nay-del".

Likewise, "cephalo-"'s pronunciation (like in cephalopod) supports the "a" being pronounced "uh" and not "ay", since that's how these are pronounced.

BTW here's a video of the Pokedex 3D Pro's pronunciations, surprised no one had posted this:
(It's 30 minutes long, may want to watch on 2x speed)
i am watching this on normal speed and didn't even skip the unown part. highly educational, thank you.

though i reject the pronunciation of carvanha shown here. i get that the NH sound isn't easy for anglophones but i Can make that sound and will apply it accordingly. car-va-NHHHHHa.

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Let's change the official pronunciation of Ariados from AIR-ree-uh-dose to AIR-ree-aw-dose. Sounds more fancy out loud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)