SM OU Friends

♪ FRIENDS

♪ INTRODUCTION ♪

As of when this is being I posted I have just completed 18 years of life so I thought this would be a nice time to post an RMT. Smogon's always been a home for me, the friends I've made here, the time I've spent helping my community, and all the fun I've had with this game, they were all very much worth it. So take this is as an act of gratitude towards the site, sharing with you, dear reader, one of my favorite teams as of late.

♪ TEAMBUILDING PROCESS ♪

UPGRADE

I started off with, believe it or not, Wish Mega Latias. I know it's an unorthodox set, but the way the team evolved there wasn't much room for this set and I ended up opting for Calm Mind. But it's important to mention because that set ended up driving the next member of the team.

DREAMTIME

Tapu Fini was next because it's definitely a Pokémon that appreciates Wish so I didn't hesitate to add it. Also added a Defogger to the mix because Mega Latias isn't ideal as a Defogger and it was initally Wish.

ECDYSIS

Tapu Fini opens up the opportunity for hazard weak Pokémon and Volcarona is no exception, arguably one of the best Volcarona teammates. At this point that I decided to make Mega Latias Calm Mind so I have a double win condition core of sorts and that has been working out quite sound.

AMBER

From there I needed a Stealth Rock user and another Heatran switch in, so Garchomp was the optimal fit. This Pokémon is a fucking menace after a Swords Dance and it greatly helps with Celesteela for Mega Latias.

SPRING

A sturdy Steel-type was needed and what better choice for that then Specially Defensive Calm Mind Magearna. This obviously gave me an out against Stall because Garchomp can only do so much, and another Calm Mind user made for a really powerful setup core.

JEWEL

Last but not least, comes Choice Scarf Landorus-T to provide a secondary Defog for Volcarona a ground immunity and more Speed to the team. This Pokémon brings absurd role compression and double Ground makes me less Tapu Koko weak.

♪ CLIMAX ♪
(click for importable)

The core of a team is obviously the choice of moves, abilities, EVs, IVs, and natures. There's so many different ways you could constitute a group of 6 Pokémon into a team, so giving them a more in-depth reasoning is obviously important. Without further ado:

♪ IN-DEPTH LOOK ♪

SPRING
(click for music)

stats: 248 HP EVs | 0 Atk IVs | 176 SpD EVs | 84 Spe EVs
moves: Fleur Cannon | Thunderbolt | Calm Mind | Pain Split
nature: Calm item: Wiki Berry ability: Soul-Heart

Magearna covers several important functions in this team. First and foremost, it acts as a switch in to the likes of Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, and opposing Magearna, which is the main reason behind a more specially defensive bias in the EV spread, but it also lets it better handle the likes of Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko as well, albeit on a much smaller scale. The Speed investment gets the jump on most Swords Dance variants of Mega Mawile, as those could pan out to be a problem, especially if the opponent has a great Stealth Rock user. Meanwhile Wiki Berry is the item of choice because Garchomp already wields a Z-Crystal, and it gives Magearna some useful longevity, as Pain Split is a very situational recovery move.

JEWEL
(click for music)

stats: 252 Atk EVs | 4 Def EVs | 0 SpA IVs | 252 Spe EVs
moves: Earthquake | Stone Edge | U-turn | Defog
nature: Jolly item: Choice Scarf ability: Intimdate

Landorus-T does so much for nearly any team, and I believe this is no exception. The speed tier it sits at is very useful for giving the team more ability to handle faster threats, and Intimidate makes it an excellent way to neuter nearly any physical attacker that may overwhelm my team otherwise. A more offensive spread was chosen because Landorus-T really doesn't need much bulk on this sort of team and the added speed and power is very nice so that it can be more of a threat in the late-game. Defog, as previously stated, is important to keep Volcarona safe and sound.

ECDYSIS
(click for music)

stats: 248 HP EVs | 0 Atk IVs | 76 Def EVs | 184 Spe EVs
moves: Flamethrower | Bug Buzz | Roost | Quiver Dance
nature: Timid item: Leftovers ability: Flame Body

Speaking of Volcarona, this bulkier variant lets my team tackle threats such as Mega Mawile and Kartana much more graciously, whilst also helping with the likes of Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny, if need be. The Speed investment aims to creep opposing Choice Scarf Landorus-T at +1 as I despite getting revenge killed by those with Volcarona, but you can also toy with slower variants if you so wish. As long as you're faster than Kommo-o anything goes. While a Buginium Z would have been very useful in ensuring a sweep, Leftovers makes up for the lack of bulk that outspeeding Landorus-T demands, whilst also helping with Tapu Fini and keeping Volcarona out of priority range from the likes of Ash-Greninja, or on a lesser scale, Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny.

AMBER
(click for music)

stats: 252 Atk EVs | 0 SpA IVs | 4 SpD EVs | 252 Spe EVs
moves: Earthquake | Stone Edge | Stealth Rock | Swords Dance
nature: Jolly item: Rockium Z ability: Rough Skin

Garchomp fulfils the very useful role of being an offensive Stealth Rock user, and a stellar one at that. Wearing down Celesteela for Mega Latias is also invaluable, not to mention the need of another Heatran switch in, as due to the fact that Mega Latias can't touch Heatran, Tapu Fini alone is rarely enough. Rocky Helmet was at one point considered to free up the Z-slot, but at the end of the day, it's nowhere near as solid of a Stealth Rock user, and Swords Dance helps immensely against bulkier teams and makes Garchomp much more of a threat, not to mention the weakning Celesteela bit.

DREAMTIME
(click for music)

stats: 248 HP EVs | 0 Atk IVs | 16 Def EVs | 12 SpA EVs | 40 SpD EVs | 192 Spe EVs
moves: Moonblast | Scald | Defog | Taunt
nature: Calm item: Leftovers ability: Misty Surge

I know what you're thinking, this EV spread is madness, but well it made it's way to the analysis, so I should be fine sharing it here too. The speed is mostly for Modest Heatran, the Defense for Hawlucha, and the Special Attack also for offensive Heatran. In regards to Tapu Fini's role on the team, though, it's the ubiquitous star of the team, providing useful Defog support for Volcarona, acting as a switch in to the menaces that are Ash-Greninja and Heatran, and shielding Garchomp of potential Toxics and Will-O-Wisps. Tapu Fini plays a crucial part in keeping this team together.

UPGRADE
(click for music)

stats: 252 HP EVs | 0 Atk IVs | 8 Def EVs | 252 Spe EVs
moves: Psyshock | Ice Beam | Roost | Calm Mind
nature: Timid item: Latiasite ability: Levitate

Lastly, Mega Latias is one of my win conditions, with the Psyshock variant being chosen to lure Toxapex for Volcarona. Psyshock has its shortcomings, of course, but having a stronger STAB move right off the bat can be instrumental at times. Ice Beam is picked here as there's a strong need to threaten opposing Landorus-T and Garchomp, which could come off as problematic had this move been replaced by another. Wish was a cool idea at first, but in hindsight it barely worked out, as it fits on bulkier teams, usually, and adding yet another win condition proved much more valuable to me.

♪ CONCLUSION ♪

So this is the team! I hope you guys liked the read. I'd like to thank all of my friends on Smogon, Pokémon Showdown and Discord for supporting me and being nice all along. I don't want to tag everyone but you guys know who you are, I love you! I have a couple special shoutouts though. I have many friends on this site, though with varying degrees of proximity (I don't know some of you as well as I would like to), and appreciate that you guys are taking your time to read my thread, I don't have enough time to write a paragraph for each of you as I'd like, but please know that the fact that you're mentioned here already means you mean a lot to me :) A, Aishia, Anish, allstarapology, Altariel von Sweep, AmirAlexander, Averardo, banks, Baloor, Bebo, BM, Brandon, charizard8888, Chazm, Chloe, Clouds, Colonel M, Cretacerus, curiosity, Darksafadao, Decem, Diophantine, Djokra, DKM, dream, Eien, Electrolyte, Estronic, Ewin, Ezaphs, false, Finchinator, frostration, Funbot28, G-Luke, GL Volkner, GMars, Gross Sweep, GW, HJAD, inactive, Insydia, Indigo Plateau, Jho, Jordy, Jytcampbell, KlefkiHolder, laser火circus, Leo, leonard (from big bang theory), Level 51, Luna, maroon, martha, Mellow, Mitsuki, Moosical, Naziel, neomon, nui, Nuked, P Squared, Perry, Pish, power, propellants, Qplaz, Quaseem, quziel, Rabia, Rage, Realistic Waters, Rekeri, Repu, roman, Ropalme1914, ShinyUnown, Simia, Ske, St. Pablo, StarBlim, Stoward, Sun, Surgeon, talah, TheCoastsOfToast, Ticken, TMan87, tondas, TPP, vivalospride, Wob, xavgb, Yay, yogi, thank you guys!

♪ HOW TO USE ♪

UPGRADE

Using Mega Latias isn't too complicated, your main goal with it is pivoting it into threats like Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T and forcing them out with Ice Beam. Mega Latias should mostly aim to set up in the late game to attempt a sweep, but doing so earlier on in order to lure Toxapex for Volcarona can work nicely enough. Don't use Mega Latias as a Heatran pivot, as Mega Latias can't touch Heatran, and Magma Storm Toxic can be a massive threat.

DREAMTIME

As usual, you need to try to achieve the perfect balance between keeping Tapu Fini healthy to check threats in the opposing team but keeping hazards off for Volcarona to do its things. Where you draw the line can change a lot from game to game, however. If Volcarona is instrumental to check something like Mega Mawile prioritise keeping Stealth Rock off your field, if Ash-Greninja is a member of the opposing team, then keeping Tapu Fini healthy enough to check it should be the main goal.

ECDYSIS

Volcarona, in a similar way to Mega Latias, can act as both a defensive pivot and a win condition. You can switch it into the likes of Mega Mawile and Kartana, but do be careful with Misty Terrain, as it being up means both of them can play a lot more recklessly against Volcarona. With Quiver Dance Volcarona can also clean up weakened teams, but make sure to wear down its typical checks beforehand.

AMBER

Garchomp does the usual on this team, the bread and butter of getting up Stealth Rock and etc. However, keep in mind, with this team you're far more likely to want damage over Stealth Rock, in comparison with most Garchomp teams, as you'll likely be forced to Defog down the line, and damaging Celesteela, for example, is instrumental for Mega Latias.

SPRING

Magearna acts mostly as a switch in to Psychic-types and opposing Magearna, but it can also strongly annoy bulkier teams with Calm Mind. Also, try to often keep it healthy with Pain Split if you need it to check the likes of Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, or opposing Magearna.

JEWEL

Last but not least, is Choice Scarf Landorus-T. With this Pokémon you want to Defog a bit more often than usual, mostly because of Volcarona, but that depends a lot on your matchup too, if you can get away with only defogging down the line, go for it. Stone Edge doesn't do a whole lot, but once again, chip on Celesteela is welcomed, and weakening other Landorus-T for your Garchomp is surely a nice idea too.

Last edited:
Hey, man, Cool RMT and Happy Birthday friend!

I really only have one suggestion as far as this is concerned. Overall, this team is quite solid, and I've used this myself (after spending 5 minutes looking for the importable lol), and this team has a matchup against pretty much everything except for one thing.

Normalium Z Kartana is essentially the worst matchup for this team. Your main Kartana answers, Volcarona and Mega Latias, both drop to unboosted Breakneck Blitz, with Volcarona being OHKO'd without any chip, and Latias having a chance to drop without chip, and juts being OHKO'd with rocks up.

My patch to this was simply opt for Hidden Power Fire over Stone Edge. Stone Edge didn't hit much else that everything else could handle, barring Zard Y, which Latias can 1v1 anyways. Hidden Power Fire singes SD Kartana, as you outspeed and murder it before it can murder you. You can even run a Jolly Nature still, as Kartana's pitiful base 31 Spdef does nothing in saving it from being demolished.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the change, and good luck out there, Lyd.

I really only have one suggestion as far as this is concerned. Overall, this team is quite solid, and I've used this myself (after spending 5 minutes looking for the importable lol), and this team has a matchup against pretty much everything except for one thing.

Normalium Z Kartana is essentially the worst matchup for this team. Your main Kartana answers, Volcarona and Mega Latias, both drop to unboosted Breakneck Blitz, with Volcarona being OHKO'd without any chip, and Latias having a chance to drop without chip, and juts being OHKO'd with rocks up.

My patch to this was simply opt for Hidden Power Fire over Stone Edge. Stone Edge didn't hit much else that everything else could handle, barring Zard Y, which Latias can 1v1 anyways. Hidden Power Fire singes SD Kartana, as you outspeed and murder it before it can murder you. You can even run a Jolly Nature still, as Kartana's pitiful base 31 Spdef does nothing in saving it from being demolished.

Everything but "Stone Edge" after "Hidden Power Fire" is white, making it near-impossible to see without highlighting.

hey, i appreciate the happy birthday wishes, thanks. normalium z kartana can be a threat, as you pointed out, but having your landorus-t walled by flying-types isn't really ideal in my book, and I don't think the normalium z kartana matchup is bad enough to warrant that. mega latias switches into an unboosted breakneckblitz well enough, and can roost in kartana's face and force it out with ice beam. kartana won't be able to set up because simply put mega latias should be able to switch in just fine and prevent kartana from getting a breakneck blitz at +2 out. if anything choice band kartana is a bigger concern with choice band knock off, especially if its team has a great rocker, but i still think the team is fine against it. thanks for taking your time to respond!

Everything but "Stone Edge" after "Hidden Power Fire" is white, making it near-impossible to see without highlighting.
Hmm, that was the only way to get it normal in Dark Mode, so idk how to make it visible.
hey, i appreciate the happy birthday wishes, thanks. normalium z kartana can be a threat, as you pointed out, but having your landorus-t walled by flying-types isn't really ideal in my book, and I don't think the normalium z kartana matchup is bad enough to warrant that. mega latias switches into an unboosted breakneckblitz well enough, and can roost in kartana's face and force it out with ice beam. kartana won't be able to set up because simply put mega latias should be able to switch in just fine and prevent kartana from getting a breakneck blitz at +2 out. if anything choice band kartana is a bigger concern with choice band knock off, especially if its team has a great rocker, but i still think the team is fine against it. thanks for taking your time to respond!
Banded Kart is a threat like you mentioned, but I would like to redem myself from my childish mistake of calcing normal latias vs kartana's Z. Latias does stomach it and can roost like you said. As far as being walled by flying types, I suppose it's more of personal preference, but you could just always U-turn out vs said flying types (which risks the chance of Static from Zapdos and Helm Damage is certain from pivot torn). Either way, in the end, It all comes down on what you want out of the team. Have a good day, friend. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)