move 4: Stone Edge / Megahorn
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Grassy Terrain
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Wood Hammer is Tapu Bulu's strongest STAB attack; it does a lot more damage to Clefable and Landorus-T than Horn Leech, as well as OHKO Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. Superpower allows Tapu Bulu to hit Grass-type switch-ins like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone. Stone Edge lets Tapu Bulu catch switch-ins such as Tornadus-T, Zapdos, and Volcarona. Megahorn is an alternative to nail switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth, and Serperior.

Set Details
========
A Jolly nature allows Tapu Bulu to outspeed Greninja, Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu should be used as a revenge killer, being able to pick off frail Pokemon with its good coverage and attacking power.
It can make for a surprise Choice Scarf user, so use this to your advantage. Be careful with Grassy Terrain's healing mechanics giving away that Tapu Bulu is faster than opposing Pokemon. Grassy Terrain's useful role compression is backed up by Tapu Bulu's adequate defensive typing and bulk, which let it take some hits, such as Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump, but not too well. Because this is a more offensively oriented set, Tapu Bulu should not be relied upon as a switch-in to potent attackers like Ash-Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Mega Alakazam. Do not let Tapu Bulu get freely burned or paralyzed, as these status conditions will heavily hamper Tapu Bulu in its role as a revenge killer.

Team Options
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu can surprise offensive threats that otherwise would be able to KO it with ease such as Weavile and Tornadus-T. Pokemon such as Mega Medicham that can take advantage of offensive threats being eliminated appreciate this. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain can provide some defensive utility to teammates. Heatran and Magnezone support Tapu Bulu by taking care of Steel-types, while Tapu Bulu returns them the favor via Grassy Terrain, softening blows from Earthquake and restoring thehir health. Grassy Terrain can also be used to boost teammates' Grass-type attacks such as Heatran's Bloom Doom and Kartana's Leaf Blade. An additional and more reliable check to Ash-Greninja is needed, as with entry hazards and chip damage, Tapu Bulu will lose the ability to take hits from it over time.

Last edited:

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
apologies, I have been very busy with real life endeavors. should be ready for QC, if anyone at all has any suggestions / possible changes don't hesitate to let me know

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
In Set Details, I would just mention that it outspeeds 2/4 of those threats (maybe Weav and MLop?)

Mention in Usage Tips that Bulu can surprise its offensive checks thanks to its Choice Scarf.

Expand on the second bullet of Usage Tips; in longer games dont be afraid to bring Bulu out in case you want another check to that mon healthy

Mention Heatran’s Bloom Doom can be powered by Bulu’s Terrain to slap Garchomp and Zam.

In Team Options, emphasize additional Greninja checks, such as Toxapex and Tapu Fini. I think Banded Kart is also worth a mention but I’m not sure.

I also think mentions of Zam checks, such as Mixed Calm Clef and AV Gear, are nice since Scarf Bulu doesn’t catch Zam and is 2hkoed by Psychic. SpDef Clef can potentially provide Wishes and likes 12% recovery when Terrain is up, while Mage can pivot with Volt Switch into something Bulu can rk.

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
In Set Details, I would just mention that it outspeeds 2/4 of those threats (maybe Weav and MLop?)

Mention in Usage Tips that Bulu can surprise its offensive checks thanks to its Choice Scarf.

Expand on the second bullet of Usage Tips; in longer games dont be afraid to bring Bulu out in case you want another check to that mon healthy

Mention Heatran’s Bloom Doom can be powered by Bulu’s Terrain to slap Garchomp and Zam.

In Team Options, emphasize additional Greninja checks, such as Toxapex and Tapu Fini. I think Banded Kart is also worth a mention but I’m not sure.

I also think mentions of Zam checks, such as Mixed Calm Clef and AV Gear, are nice since Scarf Bulu doesn’t catch Zam and is 2hkoed by Psychic. SpDef Clef can potentially provide Wishes and likes 12% recovery when Terrain is up, while Mage can pivot with Volt Switch into something Bulu can rk.
- 249 (252 EVs with adamant) x 1.5 = 373.5 (374). Doesn't outspeed Weavile nor MLop, nor koko/regular gren

- Added about the surprise factor

- Don't fully understand what you mean there. What I think you're trying to say is that you can aggressively switch in Tapu Bulu to predicted switches to get Grassy Terrain up for stuff that doesn't heal but this is hella situational I think. Like esp bc it can help your opponent as well to heal so ur not really making progress in regards to momentum

- added but it might need to be re-worded ?

- yea i pretty much said this already

- i dont think these 2 have enough synergy to be mentioned. horn leech + terrain is alot already, although not the best, keeps it relvaitely healthy. this isn't band bulu and hence it can't really blow shit away so the voltturn point is meh imo. tho if someone else vouches for this ill add it

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
On the first point, I meant not mentioning all four of those and just limiting it to two. I brought up gren and mlop cause thats the range Jolly outspeeds and Adamant doesn’t. It may be best to keep as is though.

yea i pretty much said this already
I’m assuming you mean the bullet in Usage Tips. It’d be useful for newer players to given examples of Gren in TO though.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Yo bro this is pretty good. Just gonna nitpick some stuff
When bolstered by Grassy Terrain it is able to do a lot more damage to the likes of
Sounds pretty arbitrary, especially when you say how powerful Horn Leech is in the sentence before. Maybe talk about certain KOs it can pick up which Horn Leech can't.

These status negate Grassy Terrain
This could be reworded coz it sounds like it just eliminates Terrain completely.

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Wood Hammer is Tapu Bulu's heaviest hitting attack. When bolstered by Grassy Terrain it is able to do a lot more damage to the likes of Clefable, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele.
This list is quite long. You can probably remove Koko since it doesnt really threaten Bulu and you'd probably rather horn leech for the recovery.

Megahorn is an alternative to nail otherwise comfortable switch-ins such as Mega Latias or Tangrowth
Change "comfortable" to "decent" and add Serperior to the list.

Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu is a niche fit for a revenge killer, being able to clean up with relatively good coverage and attacking power.
Is this saying that bulu is a revenge killer or a cleaner?
Also say something like "Bulu should be used as X..." so it's actually a usage tip.

• Useful role compression is provided with Grassy Terrain backed up by its also adequate defensive typing and bulk.
  • Because this is a more offensively orientated set, Tapu Bulu should not be relied upon as a switch-in to of potent attackers like Ash-Greninja, Swampert, and Alakazam.
This can probably be merged into one point saying that Tapu Bulu's typing + grassy terrain means it can switch into ash gren if necessary. However it should not be relied upon to do this.

Do not let Tapu Bulu get freely Poisoned or Burned from the likes of Rotom-Wash, Toxapex, or Chansey. These status negate Grassy Terrain and further limit Tapu Bulu's longetivity.
Honestly paralysis is worse than poison for this set, mention that instead.

Pokemon such as Mega Medicham or Volcarona that can take advantage of offensive threats being eliminated appreciate this.
I dont understand how volcarona is a good example here.

Team Options
========
Make a point about ash gren checks.

Tag me when this is done so i can double check.

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
Alright, apologies for the long hold up, been extremely busy but I'm finally done

Diophantine 's changes:
Yo bro this is pretty good. Just gonna nitpick some stuff

Sounds pretty arbitrary, especially when you say how powerful Horn Leech is in the sentence before. Maybe talk about certain KOs it can pick up which Horn Leech can't.

This could be reworded coz it sounds like it just eliminates Terrain completely.
- Fixed it a bit; said that wood hammer does a lot to clef and lando, ohkos lele/koko and removed gliscor bc it can actually spam roost on scarf bulu and heal so it shouldn't have gone there, my mistake
- Specifically said how it blocks tapu bulu's healing alone

DKM 's changes:
This list is quite long. You can probably remove Koko since it doesnt really threaten Bulu and you'd probably rather horn leech for the recovery.

Change "comfortable" to "decent" and add Serperior to the list.

Is this saying that bulu is a revenge killer or a cleaner?
Also say something like "Bulu should be used as X..." so it's actually a usage tip.

This can probably be merged into one point saying that Tapu Bulu's typing + grassy terrain means it can switch into ash gren if necessary. However it should not be relied upon to do this.

Honestly paralysis is worse than poison for this set, mention that instead.

I dont understand how volcarona is a good example here.

Make a point about ash gren checks.

Tag me when this is done so i can double check.
- Replaced Koko with zam and re worded it as part of dio's suggestions
- Did the serp thing
- alright, said that its a revenge killer bc that is honestly what it does better. and reworded it too i think.
- did the ash gren thing, might have worded it kinda badly so point me out if needed
- did the para > poison point, agreed
- my thought process on volc was that you can use bulu to kill something like torn/weavile and have volc setup after. i dont really know many specific teammates that have a necessity from something like this so I just added medicham for now but if you or anyone else has more ideas let me know
- did the ash gren check

done, just lmk if changes r needed

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
DKM said that counts as his check^
  • Stone Edge lets Tapu Bulu catch thought-to-be safe switch-ins such as Tornadus-T, Zapdos, and Volcarona.
mention the fact that it outspeeds them in a 1v1 scenario, which helps get surprise hits on them

• Megahorn is an alternative to nail otherwise decent switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth and Serperior. However, Stone Edge is usually more preferred as the option to hit Flying-types that Tapu Bulu otherwise cannot do anything significant to is further appreciated.
Megahorn is an alternative to nail otherwise decent switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth and Serperior. However, Stone Edge is usually more preferred as the option to hit Flying-types that Tapu Bulu otherwise cannot do anything significant to is further appreciated.
Mention that Megahorn is less appealing without the boost from a choice band cause it can't do enough damage to Lati and Serp and just forces them out

2/3

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
DKM said that counts as his check^

mention the fact that it outspeeds them in a 1v1 scenario, which helps get surprise hits on them

Mention that Megahorn is less appealing without the boost from a choice band cause it can't do enough damage to Lati and Serp and just forces them out

2/3
sry for the long wait, should be good now!

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
Apologies for the long hold-on, I was very busy and forgot about it. Thanks to Mannat for reminding me

GMars Should be ready for final check

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Comments in bold
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Horn Leech
move 2: Wood Hammer
move 3: Superpower

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Horn Leech is a mandatory move on Tapu Bulu, being a strong STAB move boosted by Grassy Terrain that helps keep Tapu Bulu healthy and preserve longetivity. Horn Leech is already covered multiple times on prior sets, no reason to bring it up again here Wood Hammer is Tapu Bulu's heaviest hitting strongest STAB attack -- when bolstered by Grassy Terrain You don't need to mention when boosted by grassy, it's assumed that it's up bc of its ability it is able to do a lot more damage to Clefable, and Landorus-T, as well as pick up OHKOs Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. Superpower is Fighting-type (unnecesary) coverage that Tapu Bulu requires, allows Tapu Bulu to hit Grass-type resists hitting Pokémon like Heatran, Ferrothorn, Kartana, and Magnezone (remove one of ferro or kart, as a general rule more than 3 examples for anything is pretty excessive) for super effective damage. Stone Edge lets Tapu Bulu catch thought-to-be safe switch-ins such as Tornadus-T, Zapdos, and Volcarona by outspeeding them in a 1v1 scenario, which helps get a surprise hit on them. Megahorn is an alternative to nail otherwise decent switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth and Serperior. However, Stone Edge is usually more preferred as the option to hit Flying-types that Tapu Bulu otherwise cannot do anything significant to is appreciated as well, without a boost from Choice Band, Megahorn does not do enough damage to secure a kill but just forces out its targets. (this part isn't needed, as edge is slashed first, it's more of what would be put in oo)

Set Details
========
Jolly nNature is needed considering Tapu Bulu's slightly inferior base speed. It preferred because it allows it to reach many important milestones, including being able Tapu Bulu to outspeed Greninja, Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu should be used as a revenge killer, being able to pick off frail Pokemon with its good coverage and attacking power.
It can make for a surprise Choice Scarf user so use this perk towards to your advantage. Be careful with Grassy Terrain healing mechanics giving away that you are faster than a said opponent. Useful role compression is provided with Grassy Terrain, backed up by its also adequate defensive typing and bulk, letting it take some hits defensive, such as Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump, but not too well. Because this is a more offensively orientated set, Tapu Bulu should not be relied upon as a switch-in to of potent attackers like Ash-Greninja, Swampert, and Alakazam. Do not let Tapu Bulu get freely Burned or Paralyzed from the likes of Rotom-Wash, Toxapex, or Chansey (I feel like this part is worded weird, you just dont wanna get statused in general, not just by those). These status conditions will heavily cripple hamper Tapu Bulu's in its role as a revenge killer and will garner it deadweight most times.

Team Options
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu can surprise kill offensive threats that otherwise would be able to kill KO (calling something a revenge killer is fine, but Pokemon KO each other, they don't kill each other) it with ease such as Weavile or Tornadus. Pokemon such as Mega Medicham that can take advantage of offensive threats being eliminated appreciate this. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain can be used to provide some defensive utility to teammates. Heatran and Magnezone support Tapu Bulu by taking care of Steel-types while Tapu Bulu returns them the favor via Grassy Terrain, softening blows from Earthquake and feeding them health. As well, Grassy Terrain can be used to boost teammates' Grass-type attacks such as Heatran's Bloom Doom or Kartana's Leaf Blade. An additional and more reliable check to Ash-Greninja is needed as with hazards and residual chip over time Tapu Bulu will not be able to take hits from it.
A lot of this was GP-ish stuff that I noticed, be sure to fix it. Good stuff overall, solid analysis QC 3/3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Wood Hammer is Tapu Bulu's strongest STAB attack—it is able to do a lot more damage to Clefable and Landorus-T than Horn Leech, as well as OHKO Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. Superpower allows allows Tapu Bulu to hit Grass-type resists switch-ins / Pokemon that resist Grass (whichever you prefer) like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone. Stone Edge lets Tapu Bulu catch switch-ins such as Tornadus-T, Zapdos, and Volcarona. Megahorn is an alternative to nail switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth, (AC) and Serperior.

Set Details
========
A Jolly nature is needed because it allows Tapu Bulu to outspeed Greninja, Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========
It can make for a surprise Choice Scarf user, (AC) so use this to your advantage. Be careful with Grassy Terrain healing mechanics giving away that you are Tapu Bulu is faster than a said opponent opposing Pokemon. Grassy Terrian's useful role compression is provided with Grassy Terrain, backed up by its Tapu Bulu's also adequate defensive typing and bulk, letting which let it take some hits, such as Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump, but not too well. Because this is a more offensively orientated oriented set, Tapu Bulu should not be relied upon as a switch-in to of potent attackers like Ash-Greninja, (Mega?) Swampert, and Alakazam. Do not let Tapu Bulu get freely burned or paralyzed, (comma) These status conditions as this will heavily hamper Tapu Bulu in its role as a revenge killer.

Team Options
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu can surprise offensive threats that otherwise would be able to KO it with ease such as Weavile or and Tornadus. Pokemon such as Mega Medicham that can take advantage of offensive threats being eliminated appreciate this. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain can be used to provide some defensive utility to teammates. Heatran and Magnezone support Tapu Bulu by taking care of Steel-types, (AC) while Tapu Bulu returns them the favor via Grassy Terrain, softening blows from Earthquake and feeding them health. As well, Grassy Terrain can also be used to boost teammates' Grass-type attacks such as Heatran's Bloom Doom or and Kartana's Leaf Blade. An additional and more reliable check to Ash-Greninja is needed, (AC) as with entry hazards and residual chip damage, (AC) over time Tapu Bulu will not be able to take hits from it.

Empress

Took a piss on my nutsack and called it Jack Black
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Wood Hammer is Tapu Bulu's strongest STAB attack; it is able to do does (subjective change; less wordy) a lot more damage to Clefable and Landorus-T than Horn Leech, as well as OHKO Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. Superpower allows Tapu Bulu to hit Grass-type switch-ins like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone. Stone Edge lets Tapu Bulu catch switch-ins such as Tornadus-T, Zapdos, and Volcarona. Megahorn is an alternative to nail switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth, and Serperior.

Set Details
========
A Jolly nature is needed because it allows Tapu Bulu to outspeed Greninja, Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========
It can make for a surprise Choice Scarf user, so use this to your advantage. Be careful with Grassy Terrain's healing mechanics giving away that Tapu Bulu is faster than opposing Pokemon. Grassy Terrain's useful role compression is backed up by Tapu Bulu's also adequate defensive typing and bulk, which let it take some hits, such as Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump, but not too well. Because this is a more offensively oriented set, Tapu Bulu should not be relied upon as a switch-in to potent attackers like Ash-Greninja, Mega-(RH)Swampert, and Mega-(RH)Alakazam. Do not let Tapu Bulu get freely burned or paralyzed. These paralyzed, as these (subjective change; you could combine these points into one sentence, but you don't have to.) status conditions will heavily hamper Tapu Bulu in its role as a revenge killer.

Team Options
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu can surprise offensive threats that otherwise would be able to KO it with ease such as Weavile and Tornadus-T (Unless you meant regular Tornadus). Pokemon such as Mega Medicham that can take advantage of offensive threats being eliminated appreciate this. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain can be used to (It can't really choose when to set it up) provide some defensive utility to teammates. Heatran and Magnezone support Tapu Bulu by taking care of Steel-types, while Tapu Bulu returns them the favor via Grassy Terrain, softening blows from Earthquake and feeding them restoring their (I'd allow this phrasing in a Flying Press article) health. Grassy Terrain can also be used to boost teammates' Grass-type attacks such as Heatran's Bloom Doom and Kartana's Leaf Blade. An additional and more reliable check to Ash-Greninja is needed, as with entry hazards and chip damage, over time Tapu Bulu will not be able lose the ability to take hits from it over time. (phrasing)
GP 2/2

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
add remove comment
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Wood Hammer is Tapu Bulu's strongest STAB attack; it is able to do does (subjective change; less wordy) a lot more damage to Clefable and Landorus-T than Horn Leech, as well as OHKO Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. Superpower allows Tapu Bulu to hit Grass-type switch-ins like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone. Stone Edge lets Tapu Bulu catch switch-ins such as Tornadus-T, Zapdos, and Volcarona. Megahorn is an alternative to nail switch-ins such as Mega Latias, Tangrowth, and Serperior.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
It can make for a surprise Choice Scarf user, so use this to your advantage. Be careful with Grassy Terrain's healing mechanics giving away that Tapu Bulu is faster than opposing Pokemon. Grassy Terrain's useful role compression is backed up by Tapu Bulu's also adequate defensive typing and bulk, which let it take some hits, such as Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump, but not too well. Because this is a more offensively oriented set, Tapu Bulu should not be relied upon as a switch-in to potent attackers like Ash-Greninja, Mega-(RH)Swampert, and Mega-(RH)Alakazam. Do not let Tapu Bulu get freely burned or paralyzed. These paralyzed, as these (subjective change; you could combine these points into one sentence, but you don't have to.) status conditions will heavily hamper Tapu Bulu in its role as a revenge killer.

Team Options
========
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu can surprise offensive threats that otherwise would be able to KO it with ease such as Weavile and Tornadus-T (Unless you meant regular Tornadus). Pokemon such as Mega Medicham that can take advantage of offensive threats being eliminated appreciate this. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain can be used to (It can't really choose when to set it up) provide some defensive utility to teammates. Heatran and Magnezone support Tapu Bulu by taking care of Steel-types, while Tapu Bulu returns them the favor via Grassy Terrain, softening blows from Earthquake and feeding them restoring their (I'd allow this phrasing in a Flying Press article) health. Grassy Terrain can also be used to boost teammates' Grass-type attacks such as Heatran's Bloom Doom and Kartana's Leaf Blade. An additional and more reliable check to Ash-Greninja is needed, as with entry hazards and chip damage, over time Tapu Bulu will not be able lose the ability to take hits from it over time. (phrasing)
GP 2/2
done! should be ready for implementation, let me know if i missed anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)