Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

How does usage work, exactly? I’ve been playing for over a year and still haven’t understood it. I read the descriptions on the Dex for the different tiers (“If the Pokemon appears at least once in a given day of battling [20 battles], it is truly [insert name of tier here].”). But I still don’t really get it. Is usage calculated within the tier, or within OU?

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Asked this a while ago in a few sqsa threads, didn't get the answer I was looking for. I stopped caring for a while but now I'm curious yet again. Let's say I want to discuss the competitive meta/potential of a non core-series Pokemon game (it's Conquest btw). What's the best subforum to do this? OI was my first guess but they do explicitly disallow discussion of "competitive play against other humans," which is exactly what I want to talk about. Someone in the OI SQSA when I asked there pointed me to RoA, and when I asked there they said no, but I should try PMing an OI moderator. I don't want to bother them just yet in case things have changed without me knowing.

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
Was Middle Cup discontinued? If so, why?
middle cup merged with nfe (which can be found here) because they had basically the same concept. there's a few differences, nfe is level 100 instead of 50, and i believe they had slightly different banlists (ex nfe banned rhydon and doublade, while middle cup had combusken banned)

How does usage work, exactly? I’ve been playing for over a year and still haven’t understood it. I read the descriptions on the Dex for the different tiers (“If the Pokemon appears at least once in a given day of battling [20 battles], it is truly [insert name of tier here].”). But I still don’t really get it. Is usage calculated within the tier, or within OU?
Usage is calculated using weighted stats within the tier. OU usage only effects tiering for OU (and I suppose by removing Pokemon from usage in the lower tiers).

If a Pokemon reaches 3.41% usages (appearing approximately in 1/20 battles) it rises tiers. If a Pokemon (say, Incineroar) has 34% usage in NU but only 1.5% in OU, 2% usage in UU, and 3.2% in RU, it only appears in 1/20 battles in NU and is thus NU. If another Pokemon (say, Kommo-o) has 3.6% usage in OU and 6.5% usage in UU, it would rise to OU due to its usage there being over 3.41%. Were it to be under 3.41% in OU but above that in UU, it would remain in UU.

If a Pokemon falls below 3.41% in the lowest tier it is allowed in, it falls to the tier below.

If a Pokemon reaches 3.41% usages (appearing approximately in 1/20 battles) it rises tiers.
hoblaph's post is mostly right, but I just want to clarify that 3.4% means you have a 50% chance of seeing the Pokemon at least once when you look at 20 teams.
Asked this a while ago in a few sqsa threads, didn't get the answer I was looking for. I stopped caring for a while but now I'm curious yet again. Let's say I want to discuss the competitive meta/potential of a non core-series Pokemon game (it's Conquest btw). What's the best subforum to do this? OI was my first guess but they do explicitly disallow discussion of "competitive play against other humans," which is exactly what I want to talk about. Someone in the OI SQSA when I asked there pointed me to RoA, and when I asked there they said no, but I should try PMing an OI moderator. I don't want to bother them just yet in case things have changed without me knowing.
Have you tried asking in the Great Library?

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
Usage is calculated using weighted stats within the tier. OU usage only effects tiering for OU (and I suppose by removing Pokemon from usage in the lower tiers).

If a Pokemon reaches 3.41% usages (appearing approximately in 1/20 battles) it rises tiers. If a Pokemon (say, Incineroar) has 34% usage in NU but only 1.5% in OU, 2% usage in UU, and 3.2% in RU, it only appears in 1/20 battles in NU and is thus NU. If another Pokemon (say, Kommo-o) has 3.6% usage in OU and 6.5% usage in UU, it would rise to OU due to its usage there being over 3.41%. Were it to be under 3.41% in OU but above that in UU, it would remain in UU.

If a Pokemon falls below 3.41% in the lowest tier it is allowed in, it falls to the tier below.
Have a question with that too, then why isnt reuniclus ou?
| 48 | Reuniclus | 4.09876% | 70513

Have a question with that too, then why isnt reuniclus ou?
| 48 | Reuniclus | 4.09876% | 70513
It's weighted over three months, so a mon needs to be on average over that during the entire period. Each month is given different weightings in the tiering as well (20:3:1 for the most recent month:second most recent month:third most recent month).

In other words, Reuniclus hasn't been used enough during a whole tiering period yet.

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Hey there, I'm very new here. I was just wondering how you insert pokemon sprites into posts, signatures ect.
There are a couple of different options depending on what you're talking about. For the little mini sprites for example, doing : garchomp : (no spaces) will add its mini sprite to your post / signature. You can do : dp/garchomp : (no spaces) to get its DPP sprite, and so on.

For the 96x96 models, you can simply do /dt pokemon on the Pokemon Showdown website, click the name, copy the image address of the Pokemon, and then add the sprite to a post by clicking insert image > by URL.

Hey there, I'm very new here. I was just wondering how you insert pokemon sprites into posts, signatures ect.
Click the button that I circled in this screenshot.
insert.png
You should get the option to upload from your computer or paste a link to an image from the Internet. For Pokemon sprites, I get mine from Bulbapedia, but you can get yours from whichever part of the web you want.

ninja'd

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Couple of search suggestions:

1. Add the ability to search for users/their profile to the Search option in the toolbar at the top of the screen so that we can skip the middleman of going to Users

2. Add either the ability to report someone to senior staff/super moderators/whoever is responsible for disciplinary actions on smogon or clear out the Staff section in Users and make it so that only the three mentioned appear there (you simply aren't going to be looking for a moderator of the PU forum or something like that when trying to report someone harassing you on your profile)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does one go about deleting their smogon account?
That isn’t possible. If you really don’t want to be able to log in anymore then change your password to a jumbled mess you won’t remember, but we don’t permanently remove accounts.

On a personal level, I hope you reconsider. I don’t think it’s the right idea to delete yourself from here entirely.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Somewhere, is there a running tally of how many SCMS/CMS edits each individual user has made? I'm curious as to how (or if ) the staff can keep track of them.

I wasn't able to see OM reservation Index when I tried to access it in OM Analyses section, and when I asked Alakazam about it, he said that it could be because I am banned or something. But, I am able to see it if I open it from my browser bookmarks; I am just not able to access it when I go through OM analyses main page. Also, I am able to post in it and everything

I tried logging out and logging back again, and I still can't see the OM reservation index through the OM analyses page...
lilmao.png

lilmao.png

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I wasn't able to see OM reservation Index when I tried to access it in OM Analyses section, and when I asked Alakazam about it, he said that it could be because I am banned or something. But, I am able to see it if I open it from my browser bookmarks; I am just not able to access it when I go through OM analyses main page. Also, I am able to post in it and everything

I tried logging out and logging back again, and I still can't see the OM reservation index through the OM analyses page...

Maybe a stupid question, but are you ignoring Uselesscrab? Hiding things on a thread-by-thread basis is not really a thing, and when I look in OM Analyses I see three threads by Uselesscrab that your screenshots aren't showing...

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Suggestion:

Make smogon give one of these kinds of popups whenever you attempt to navigate off page with a post still being drafted
1570239094334.png

While a more consistent method of making sure WIP posts are saved would be ideal, I'm sure it's probably much harder to implement than a simple failsafe like this.

I'm always petrified at the thought of accidentally clicking something and having to start over my entire post as a result-

Suggestion:

Make smogon give one of these kinds of popups whenever you attempt to navigate off page with a post still being drafted
View attachment 198787
While a more consistent method of making sure WIP posts are saved would be ideal, I'm sure it's probably much harder to implement than a simple failsafe like this.

I'm always petrified at the thought of accidentally clicking something and having to start over my entire post as a result-
There's already a fail-safe; if you leave in the middle of drafting a thread just click "post thread" from that same subforum and your draft will be there. If you leave a thread while in the middle of writing a response to it the post draft will still be there when you return to it.

I'm pretty sure I found the right thread, but sorry if I didn't. I have a few questions about the library.
1. What are quills and how do I spend them?
2. Is the story I'm writing about pokemon, or can it be unrelated?
3. What is the library? Is it a forum thread or something else entirely?
4. When it says custom avatar, does that mean I get to create my own?
Sorry if these questions were answered in another thread.

Alpha

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure I found the right thread, but sorry if I didn't. I have a few questions about the library.
1. What are quills and how do I spend them?
2. Is the story I'm writing about pokemon, or can it be unrelated?
3. What is the library? Is it a forum thread or something else entirely?
4. When it says custom avatar, does that mean I get to create my own?
Sorry if these questions were answered in another thread.
Hello MasterofSegways. This isn't the right thread, as it's for Smogon only. What you were looking for was this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...t-before-posting.3520646/page-98#post-8246308, which is for PS! only. Anyway, to answer your questions: 1) quills are a form of prize given during games in the room The Library on PS! ; 2) Your story can be unrelated, and you can find more information by joining that room and checking their roomintro. 3) As said before, The Library is a room on PS! that is currently hosting a Halloween event. Here's the link to join it: https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/thelibrary ; 4) If you're able to create your own custom avatar that respect PS! standards for avatars, then sure! Otherwise, in case you win, you can request one to spriters / artists. Keep in mind that nothing is free, so they may ask you some money for the commission.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)