SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Not that it needed it, but if that Galarian Stunfisk is real (and I strongly suspect that it is), it officially deconfirms that Dex leak that was going around.

Alright, time for the opinion dump:

Not feeling them. This isn't much of a surprise, since I haven't actually felt for a starter since gen 4. I usually consider something else I can pick up as my starter instead (current record-holder: magnemite). Value resides on doing something interesting competitively, and not being a repeat of earlier starters.

I haven't got a good look at them due to frequently getting broken images on here. The main exception to this is garbodor, which is far too much of the same, but bigger.

Meowth: Why though? It's ugly, and of a mon that not only already has a regional form, is also getting a Gmax from. This itself raises the bar for what the other-gen representation needs to be.

Rapidash: Psychic/fairy is quickly becoming overcrowded. The main thing I can hope for is it being physically biased, both to stand out more and give a chance for filling out both types physical options.

Stunfisk: I should like this. It's a Steel-type that has some more artificial inspiration. This is what I've been looking for for the entire speculation period. But I find myself needing to rely on what it can bring to battles instead of its design. I always liked area denial and hazard play, so hopefully it lives up to being the Trap Pokemon

Centiscorch: I don't like how the legs are so short. Makes it look too much like a snake and not enough like a centipede. Seems like a poor choice for GMaxing due to how vulnerable bug/fire is to chip damage, which doesn't care about HP increases. For a similar reason, I would be hesitant about wanting to run Flare Blitz.

Blibug line: Other than the eyes, design seems nice enough. Orbeetle's stance reminds me of Necrozma (basic form). Defnitiely look like they're leaning special, which is pretty weird for a ladybug (they're carnivores). Special bug types are mostly quiver dancers, which both means that having something different could be nice and that it has a major hurdle to clear if it tries to break the mold.

Snom and frosmoth: The designs don't really do a good job of being ice-types to me. Ice/bug has a lot of potential design-wise, since a lot of an insects appearence comes from rigid structures that could be crystallized. As such, taking a normal caterpillar/moth ans painting them white doesn't really cut it. Not helping is that my biggest association with frosmoth would likely be some combination of bug/psychic/fire. It's rather hard to think of it doing much other than being a type-swapped volcarona in battle

RolyCoaly: Agree that the eyes on stage 2 look out of place. I alos think that the third stage is pretty unrelated to the first two. Since I like my artifice-mons, the standard monster-group design isn't doing much for me. With a typing that's much better for offence than defense, I'm also more worried about whether it has the speed to back up its gimmick and/or be useful without switching into a fire move than I would be with e.g. a train design.

Corviknight: They're birds. I wonder if the prevos still have Mirror Armour

Impidimp: I would have preferred something a little more demonic, but this isn't bad. Hopefully another source of more physical Fairy moves.

Yamper: I don't like it. Hope it's physical, so that it doesn't feel like an insult to manectric.

Hatterne: At least the design is unique, and not going for another humanoid/animal/kaiju style. No idea on how it would play

Pretty much everything else: Not into standard vertebrates as fantasy design. I have an entire rant for this...

Did I miss anything?

Really digging Frosmoth, I always like moths and would have been surprised if a UK-based region didn't have a new one or form. Hope it has great stats or ability to compensate for 2 4x weaknesses.

Glad to see galar forms have made it all the way up to gen 5 at least. I don't think I'll be using beartic-trap stunfisk, but I love that it exists.

After months of feeling like there weren't a lot of clear contenders for team slots from revealed mons, the leaks have already shown off a bunch of good looking designs based on animals I like, namely Clobbopus/Grapploct and Frosmoth. Now it's finally starting to get difficult to decide the team. If the octopus is really just fighting then it's not in competition with Intelleon except through not wanting to have too many monotypes, and with Corviknight already likely to have a slot that only leaves two more slots to fit in a bunch of types I like to use...

Also, we've got an ice type, can we have a cool new ghost now? :psycry:

Last edited:
Really digging Frosmoth, I always like moths and would have been surprised if a UK-based region didn't have a new one or form. Hope it has great stats or ability to compensate for 2 4x weaknesses.

Glad to see galar forma have made it all the way up to gen 5 at least. I don't think I'll be using beartic-trap stunfisk, but glad it exists.

After months of feeling like there weren't a lot of clear contenders for team slots from revealed mons, the leaks have already shown off a bunch of good looking designs based on animals I like, namely Clobbopus/Grapploct and Frosmoth. Now it's finally starting to get difficult to decide the team. If the octopus is really just fighting then it's not in competition with Intelleon except through not wanting to have too many monotypes, and with Corviknight already likely to have a slot that only leaves two more slots to fit in a bunch of types I like to use...

Also, we've got an ice type, can we have a cool new ghost now? :psycry:
Its a surprise we have not seen anything looking like the Big Ben yet. Not a mon or a building. A leak-wannabe revealed that we could have a clock Big Ben designed pokémon. That would be so awesome!

Idk why, but none of these seem a pokémon to me except of Ponyta (just ponyta)
Honestly, Corviknight pre-evos are very Pokémon-like to me, with how their pupils seem to clip through their sclera at first glance, but it actually being a reference to how real chickadees look, and their eyes being only the red part and nothing else

It gives this really awkward (and somewhat ugly-looking) impression at first, but that actually makes a lot of sense when you figure out what it is based on. An incredibly weird design that's actually very well thought is the most Pokémon thing ever, and I love it

been loving all these new pokemon so far. Freaking stunfisk is getting a galarian form that great. Now where is dunsparce.

So are we confirmed that Scorbunny's evo is fake or not?

Now... where are all my ghost pokemon? so far we only have the teapot, and I need more ghosts.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Time to dump more opinions. The last post wasn't as positive because the starters are generally weak (not you Rillaboom you're still awesome) but from here get ready for some positivity~

This is fine but that's about all I have to say about it. I'm excited at the fact they're finally creating Pokémon based on berserkers but I'm not sure a regional variant of Meowth was the way to do it. I'm still waiting on my Beast of Bodmin Pokémon considering the region is based on the UK -- if they were dead set on creating a regional form for Meowth, I'd have rathered they take the inspiration from here. The huge, bright cat eyes doesn't really say berserker to me, and though the little hair tufts being the "baby" version of the horns is cute, they could have used a real life animal who actually has horns and just adapated it to fit the berserker aesthetic. Overall, somewhat unimpressed.
10/10 for the name and this design is better than Meowth-Galar. The eyes look much more berserker-like, being red and mostly closed. The viking horns work well and don't seem as tacked on as they are to Meowth-Galar. I like that it has a beard that serves the function of body hair, instead of just being shaggy all over like Meowth-Galar. This should have been the base form of a new Pokémon line, that then evolves into something even more berserker with actual armour and the like. Mono Steel-Type is also a little baffling to me -- I would have expected Steel/Fighting, Steel/Fairy, or even Fighting/Fairy -- sure, berserkers used metallic weaponry, but Perrserker itself doesn't, and the whole point of berserkers is they were fighters who got their power from nature spirits. I'm not mad at it though, since a mono Steel-Type with an offensive presence is iirc actually a new property for a Pokémon to have.
I love that they actually went ahead and made a new fox Pokémon. They're one of the most iconic animals to the fairly nature-free cities of the UK, and I see them outside my window most nights out on the town, ripping bin bags open and the like. I heard in the discord that the original leaker said they're mono Ground-Type, but apparently that may be hearsay. Personally when I look at the design I get Ground/Fire, which I think would be a new type combination and it would be interesting to see in a fast attacker as the two types compliment each other fairly well offensively -- especially if it gets Wild Charge for Water-Type opponents. The almost bulbous look of Fox1's tail compared with Fox2's sleek design is a competent progression between baby -> adult, and the first form is as cute as the second form is cool. Excellent line in general that may see use on my team, as Ground-Type Pokémon have been lacking for a few generations. I'm eager to use it again.
I love it. It's adorable. I want a plushie. I get strong potential for a pseudo-legendary line here, and if that ends up being true we'd get our first quadruped pseudo (besides Metagross but that's not really based on a quadruped so much as a spider with 4 legs). I also somewhat get Baby Pokémon vibes from it but we haven't had a new baby for several generations now and I can't see them applying the mechanic to new Pokémon that aren't members of cross-generational lines. Regardless, though, it's adorable. 10/10.
Looks aggressively traditional-RPG-monster-that's-a-random-spawn-in-a-cave-dungeon-and-forces-you-to-buy-medicine-for-burns-before-you-go-inside. For some reason I get hard Bravely Default vibes off it, but I can't remember seeing a monster that resembles it specifically. That's not to say I don't like it though -- the cross of fire on its face and tail are both really cool, and its gigantamax is also really cool. Both resemble more of a dragon to a bug to me, though, so I'm hopeful this will be Fire/Dragon that merely has bug for inspiration, of Dragon/Bug that has a Steelworker-like ability that grants it STAB on Fire-Type moves. Both seem feasible to me, and I like more Dragon-Type Pokémon that aren't a hassle to get.

They really seem to be wanting to give the most "infamous" (or so to say) Gen V Pokémon some love in this game.

I wonder if Turner had anything to do with that. Sure, he didn't design either Garbodor or Stunfisk, but he started designing Pokémon in Gen V AND he's british... not that I'm complaining, though. It's nice to see the unpopular ones getting some attention.

(Although "love" would be kind of farfetched for Stunfisk as its markings look like other Pokémon constantly step over it)

Last edited:
They really seem to be wanting to give the most "infamous" (or so to say) Gen V Pokémon some love in this game.

I wonder if Turner had anything to do with that. Sure, he didn't design either Garbodor or Stunfisk, but he started designing Pokémon in Gen V AND he's british...
Punching octopus is made by Turner. Change my mind :P

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
More opinions on these other new Pokémon.

Pincurchin: Looks as shitty as Pyukumuku. Need a clear pic.

Big Wooloo: Fuck you all for no talking about what is clearly the most perfect design. ALL HAIL BLACK PHILLIP! Hope the design is all black.

Fighting Octopus1: It's fine.

Fighting Octopus2: It's fine.

Impidimp2: Edgy bullshit. Truly an awful design. At least it's not a furry.

Norman Osbourne: The fucking laziness of GF is such that they turn Green Goblin-Venom into a Pokémon. This is on the levels of Smurf Salazzle and Sonic OC. I really despise this crap and I hope it's ass competitively. I guess I owe an apology to semen hat, but I can't decide which is the worst. Despicable awful useless garbage crap.

Yamper2: I'm not a fan of dogs in general but this Pokémon looks a bit like a mix of Scooby-Doo and Mr. PeanutButter. I like it fine. At least it's not a furry.

Carkoal: Not a train, but looks fine.

Coalossal: Looks weirdly racist, which is a plus, but it's still not a train. Looks decentish.

Galar Rapidash: Don' care it's not a pegasus (wish it was an alicorn), but its eyes are a bit... weird. Nice design overall, though

The pre-evos to Corviknight: Unless you're from Pidove family, GF can try as much as it wants but it won't do a badly designed bird mon. Glad I chose Corviknight since the start and the pre-evos look all great. Hope they're really pure Flying.

Fish: Bleh.

Bigger fish: Weird face, and nothing special.

Dottler: Cute cocoon, but the moustache-like thing is really off-putting.

Orbeetle: Disappointed in astronomical levels. Looks like some saturday morning cartoon alien crap from the mid 2000s.

Skwovent and Deeznut: Ugh... I don't really like them but could be worse. Could be a Sonic oc, a gooey undefinable thing and a Green Goblin rip-off.

Galar Stunfisk: To corroborate my hypothesis of Turner's spite, of course it was the meme that got an alternate form. When you're not from Kanto, you better be a fucking meme. Didn't know bear traps were common in England though. I like that.

Ice/Bugs: Moth is amazing (Frosmoth is a really bad name though), but the small thing looks like an used sex toy that was recently used and not cleaned yet. The designers either need to get laid or to get fired. At least we have more Ice-types that in Alola! Hope it's at least a mid-game Pokémon, because that is totally going on my team.

Fox being Ground is ok I guess. Also if the snake is not Poison then fuck it. Team so far is Satanic Wooloo/Corviknight/Alcremie/Fox/Frosmoth. Still need either a Poison or a Ghost. If anything, Alcremie gets the boot.

Do Galorian Forms get stat reallocations? Galorian Stunfisk has the potential to be really solid (also I love the design). Ground/Steel has a lot of useful defensive niches (SpDef Excadrill was a thing in Gen 6 with either Leftovers or sometimes even AV, and in Gen 7 fat Drill is still rarely seen), and Stunfisk actually has pretty good defensive stats (109/94/99). A bear trap kinda makes one think of a high defense, so maybe Attack gets shunted into that, or something.

GIVE IT SHORE UP GAMEFREAK. CMON.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
YES!!!! FINALLY, A NEW GALARIAN FORM GOT LEAKED!!!! SING PRAISE TO THE LAWD IN HEAVEN WE ARE TRULY BLESSED

Galarian Stunfisk proves to me that all cards are off the table for predicting who's gonna get a form. Like man, if we can go all the way up to Gen 5 for these, who knows what could come next??? I also really like it being turned into a bear trap, that's a pretty cool bit of flavor.

It ain't all sunshine and rainbows though: Considering this thing now exists and we got a separate ladybug Pokemon that's Bug/Psychic, it seems pretty likely that the Galar forms list leak we got a few days ago with stuff like Bug/Psychic Ledian is debunked. On the bright side, at least the Galar Pokedex leak is totally wanged as well considering it said nothing about Stunfisk getting a new form.

As for the other Pokemon, I like them, especially Frosmoth. And while the dream of Psychic/Flying Pegasus Rapidash is dead, Psychic/Fairy is a decent consolation prize which was in high demand. Actually Greedunt is gross, fuckin Hundred-Acre-Woods lookin ass

It ain't all sunshine and rainbows though: Considering this thing now exists and we got a separate ladybug Pokemon that's Bug/Psychic, it seems pretty likely that the Galar forms list leak we got a few days ago with stuff like Bug/Psychic Ledian is debunked.
Got a link to that one? Maybe that person thought it was a regional Ledian version, since it does look quite a bit like Ledian and is Bug/Psychic (a new typing that I wouldn't have guessed for a regional Ledian), which is a pretty specific combination of traits (it could definitely be a lucky guess or intentional misinformation like you say).

So far I'd be using 7 Pokémon lines in this game:
- Sobble
- Rookidee
- Drednaw
- Duraludon
- Cramorant
- Silicobra
- Galarian Farfetch'd

Depending on what Coalossal and that Poison/Electric thing are supposed to be based on, it could raise to 9.

Even without them, it's still more new Pokémon I want to use than both Gen VI and VII.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking at Corviknight's pre-evolutions, Rookidee and Corvisquire, I really like that they opted to make them pure Flying-type this time around instead of the conventional Normal / Flying that most regional birds have. Even Fletchling was Normal / Flying despite its evolutions being Fire / Flying, and most Flying-types are dual-types with it being paired with another type (barring well, Tornadus). It's very rare for any Pokemon to be pure Flying type, and I like that Rookidee and Corvisquire are going that route this time around, especially since from an in game standpoint it gives them a better edge against Fighting types than usual (well not so much for Corviknight).

Snorm and Frosmoth are nice, I think Ice / Bug is a pretty odd type combination for one of Gen 8's new Ice type Pokemon, but I do wonder what kind of stats they will have. Bug and Ice are both really flawed types defensively so that's gonna hurt. But hopefully they have good stats to make up for it, especially since newer Bugs have been quite good these days.

Just a few thoughts xD.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Well now that some of us can stop living in denial about Cinderace, gotta say it looks worse than what I made out of it from the guidebook. This isn't a pokemon it's a shounen character that dresses like a rabbit.

Looking at Corviknight's pre-evolutions, Rookidee and Corvisquire, I really like that they opted to make them pure Flying-type this time around instead of the conventional Normal / Flying that most regional birds have. Even Fletchling was Normal / Flying despite its evolutions being Fire / Flying, and most Flying-types are dual-types with it being paired with another type (barring well, Tornadus). It's very rare for any Pokemon to be pure Flying type, and I like that Rookidee and Corvisquire are going that route this time around, especially since from an in game standpoint it gives them a better edge against Fighting types than usual (well not so much for Corviknight).

Snorm and Frosmoth are nice, I think Ice / Bug is a pretty odd type combination for one of Gen 8's new Ice type Pokemon, but I do wonder what kind of stats they will have. Bug and Ice are both really flawed types defensively so that's gonna hurt. But hopefully they have good stats to make up for it, especially since newer Bugs have been quite good these days.

Just a few thoughts xD.
Do you think they'll retcon some of the older Flying types to be pure Flying?

Also, which Pokemon is the pseudo-legendary of this generation? Colossal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)