SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

I'm willing to give GF the benefit of the doubt that they put what they felt was a lot of heart and effort into the games and that they decided to stop supporting all the mons to improve other aspects of the game. My concern is that the bulk of that redirected effort went into aspects like Pokemon Camp or the Currydex instead of postgame content that better warrants the extra $20 on top of a 3DS game. While not much has been leaked about the postgame so far, what has been claimed admittedly doesn't sound like it's more than the 3DS adventure.

I would really love it if GF released postgame episodes through DLC periodically, but I'm not going to hold my breath that they have such plans and are just being stupidly secretive about them. Like, I enjoyed refresh well enough in gen 7, but I didn't use it that much and I am skeptical that I will spend any time making curry unless it's really useful for EV training or something.

Overall, I'm still pretty excited for the game and a lot of the new mons, but definitely concerned about whether GF put enough effort into the parts of the game I care about to make up for the lack of mons I care about.
Episodic post-game is never going to be more than a few hours. We have never had real extensive post game besides in G/S and HGSS. Real Pokemon "post game" is breeding and online battles, both of which have been crippled by drastically reduced Pokemon pools and pay to play online services.

I don't care if Gamefreak adds in some post game quest that takes a few hours to grind through. Give us real post game activities like a battle frontier, interactive breeding, good online play, decorative houses etc. More likely than not if Gamefreak was so stressed that they couldn't even finish half the Pokedex I doubt we'll see much more than a few hours of post-game content.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Episodic post-game is never going to be more than a few hours. We have never had real extensive post game besides in G/S and HGSS. Real Pokemon "post game" is breeding and online battles, both of which have been crippled by drastically reduced Pokemon pools and pay to play online services.

I don't care if Gamefreak adds in some post game quest that takes a few hours to grind through. Give us real post game activities like a battle frontier, interactive breeding, good online play, decorative houses etc. More likely than not if Gamefreak was so stressed that they couldn't even finish half the Pokedex I doubt we'll see much more than a few hours of post-game content.
I don't think the yearly release is going to help anything, and might stress them even worse over the time. Worst case is the quality of upcoming Pokémon mainline games drastically dropping at worst if they keep up with their arrogance and lack of effort, in the addition of a potential of serious burnout.

I believe they're saying that if you like it, you'll get the 'full' Galar experience in one game without having to play something that's obviously incomplete and then buy a marginally-upgraded sequel for closure to the story or the 'true' form of the main legendary and if you don't, on the bright side there's most likely only gonna be 1 release rather than 2 focused on the region. That's logic I can at least follow better than "they continue to charge more for a worse game, but I'll still buy it anyways."
This. It might well still be the case that the games are bare-bones (I'm certainly not massively impressed so far), but at least they won't be intentionally leaving stuff out, introducing story beats that they'll never finish, and generally giving the feeling that the game is an advert for another game that you'll have to pay full price for.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Someone was counting a few pages back of which weather starters were in and counted out Alolan Ninetales, but as I’m thinking about it, and I wouldn’t be so sure.

Persian and Cofagirus are still in the Galar dex, despite Galaran Meowth and Yanmask not evolving into those mons. This means the original versions of these mons can be imported to SwSh and still evolve into their original forms. Besides, we already knew Kanto Meowth was in as it has a UltMax form.

Same logic: Since Kanto Vulpix and Ninetales are also in the Galaran dex, I would wager Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales can be imported as well.

So Aurora Veil may yet still be a playstyle. :)

(Edit: Presumably, the same would be true of the original forms of Weezing, Darmanitan, Rapidash, Mr. Mime, etc.)

Same logic: Since Kanto Vulpix and Ninetales are also in the Galaran dex, I would wager Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales can be imported as well.

So Aurora Veil may yet still be a playstyle. :)

(Edit: Presumably, the same would be true of the original forms of Weezing, Darmanitan, Rapidash, Mr. Mime, etc.)
Not that Alolan Ninetales wouldn't be playable, but GMax Lapras has a move that essentially sets up veil without being taunt bait or stopped by switching the weather.

So now that I'm on my PC, I really wanted to tackle on the "Competitive Balance" thing we were talking about.

Pokémon is intended by Game Freak to be played on cartridge, following their rules. TPCi uses this to determine specific rules each year, and, as a Pokémon Professor and VGC player, my first focus will always be on VGC. For VGC, the Dex is closer to Kalos one, and my favorite VGC season was VGC14, even with the likes of Dark Void Smeargle. Lots of Pokémon could fill a niche or be actually viable because of the limited Dex size.

I'm counting on this.

For people here who play OU and all the other formats, the people that take care of Showdown announced when Dexit was announced that they would have a metagame with all Pokémon and a separate one for the ones that actually get to Galar. So, don't worry about your precious PU, ZU, UU, NU, and whatnot, you'll still be able to play through Showdown, only it will not be possible to reproduce it on cartridge. I know you'd love to play PU on cartridge but cartridge play is meant to be played the way they believe it's meant to be played.

It also can only be used once per game, and uses up your Dynamax.
Yeah, they Dynamax / GMax slot came to mind as well; which is why I don't write off A-Ninetales 100%. However, screens is such an offensive playstyle that you're not likely bringing in your setter a million times. You usually want to make the initial setup count.

So slightly tangential question to those that already own a Switch.

Am I best to rock up on the 15th and get the Switch and the game or will it be playable from midnight if I pre-download it.

I've been wondering how each type was affected by Dexit (as in, what percentage of each type's Pokemon are left out). Someone would have to crunch the numbers, but just eyballing it, it looks like Water and Ghost made out great, Fire and Poison not so good, and Normal got absolutely nuked. But like I said, that's just from a quick glance and could be wrong.
I'm apparently a sucker for just going through the cut mons list over and over again. Maybe it's a way of saying goodbye?
72/109 cut
Biggest competitive losses:
Chansey line
Porygon line
Smeargle
(mega) Lopunny
Swellow

Biggest mons to stay:
Diggersby
Snorlax

42/68 cut (24/50 non-starters)
Blacephalon
Volcanion
Marowak-Alola
Heatran
Mega Charizards

Biggest mons to stay:
Torkoal
rotom-heat

63/98 cut (42/77 non-starters)
(mega) Venusaur
Tapu Bulu
Kartana
Serperior
breloom

Biggest mons to stay
ferrothorn
whimsicott

79/133 cut (58/112 non-starters)
(mega) swampert
greninja
keldeo
suicune
tapu fini

Biggest mons to stay
Toxapex
Pelliper

34/52 cut
Zapdos
tapu koko
zeraora
magnezone
Thundrus

Biggest mons to stay
rotom
galvantula

50/77 cut
(mega) scizor
(mega) pinsir
Buzzwole
Volcarona
armaldo

Biggest mons to stay
araquanid
galvantula

24/54 cut
Keldeo
(mega) medicham
terrakion
breloom
cobalion

biggest mons to stay
Kommo-o
Hawlucha

43/84 cut
(mega) medicham
jirachi
victini
(mega) alakazam
slowpoke line

Biggest mons to stay:
mew
reuniclus

30/65 cut
Garchomp
Landorus
Gliscor
Nidoking/nidoqueen
(mega) swampert

Biggest mons to stay:
Gastrodon
Dugrtio

37/60 cut (12/35 non-fossil)
(mega) Diancie
Nihilego
(mega) Aerodactyl
Cradily
Terrakion

Biggest mons to stay
Tyranitar
Rhyperior

42/66 cut
Biggest competitive losses
(mega) venusaur
Muk-alola
scolipede
Nihilego
Nidoking/Nidoqueen

Biggest mons to stay
Toxapex
Gengar

25/53 cut
Greninja
Krookodile
Muk-alola
Mega Sableye
Hoopa-unbound

Biggest mons to stay
Tyranitar
Mandibuzz

66/100 cut
Tornadus
Landorus
Zapdos
Celesteela
Dragonite

Biggest mons to stay
Hawlucha
Mantine

31/53 cut
Heatran
Celesteela
Kartana
Magearna
magnezone

Biggest mons to stay
Ferrothorn
Excadrill

16/46 cut
Mega Sableye
Marowak-alola
Blacephalon
Hoopa
Decidueye

Biggest mons to stay
Gengar
mimikyu
(I've been avoiding ubers, so I skip Aegislash)

16/39 cut
Kyurem-Black
Sandslash-Alola
Walrein
Cryogonal
articuno

Biggest mons to stay:
Mamoswine
Weavile

28/48 cut
Lati@s
Dragonite
Garchomp
Kyurem-Black
Dragalge

Biggest mons to stay:
Kommo-o
Hydreigon

22/49 cut
Mega Mawile
Tapus
Magearna
Azumarill
(mega) Diancie

Biggest mons to stay
Clefable
Mimikyu

I know a fair number of people have been split on the new mons, but I'm really liking most of them so far. Like Alola and Kalos, these new Pokemon have some pretty high quality designs with some cool and unique concepts / inspirations . My favorite new ones are probably Grapploct, Drakloak, and Flapple. The only major disappointment I have is that a ton of new Pokemon are mono-type, which makes them offensively weaker and worse at covering roles compared to a dual-typed Pokemon.

Gameplay reception has also been mixed, but I'm cautiously optimistic, mainly because of the Wild Area. I'm crossing my fingers that strong Pokemon in the WIld Area get the Totem Pokemon stat boosts and improved AI because those actually felt like a fairly decent challenge in SM / USUM. With Exp Share always being on and the Pokmeon Box from the Lets go games returning, training up multiple different mons during the main campaign seems like it'll be really fun and rewarding to do, especially since the overworld apparently has a high variety of Pokemon species and power levels.

Random question that I'm not sure has been brought up before, but apologies if it has, will there even be enough Pokemon to support all the tiers that are currently in the game? Pretty sure we just had OU/UU/NU the last time the dex was this small.

Ahh, yeah. I forgot exactly who, but I know someone from Pokemon was skeptical of the switch because of.... PHONE GAMES. Like what?
In a Japanese perspective he is actually correct, if not brutally so.
Market for smartphone games in Japan is a huge business with people pumping lots of Yen's into games for gacha stuff, even if knowing it means dumping money into something of zero return and would probably be wiped out years after launch.
Smartphones filled exactly the niche the DS family (or to a lesser extent, portable devices, hence the switch in its handheld configuration) was supposed to be filling, but with extra functionality and everybody would have at least one if not more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)