Sword&Shield&Speculation!

Should we allow Melmetal in the base meta?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reminder that you need to set up your ddance or bulk ups before you dynamax, which should be more than enough time for a fairy type attacker to give them a hug and burst scrafty into flames.

Bisharp is probably really annoyed every psychic type attack can be turned into a psychic terrain... something to look out for.
Wouldn't the effect not occur if the move failed?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

I don't really get the hullabaloo over Psychic Terrain ruining this guy. That certainly doesn't stop any other priority user like Mamoswine, and if anything Bisharp is better equipped to deal with them with its Dark type blocking Max Psychic. Also, it's freaking Bisharp. It'll be good, OK? And one more thing: With this guy + Doublade and also Melmetal possibly, Braviary might be about to take a big hit in viability.

Torkoal is interesting for Sun teams. In the normal meta, Ninetales is honestly better IMO for just being stronger and faster, although Rocks and Rapid Spin are cool to have. When it comes to the Melmeta, however, I think Torkoal is just as good of a choice than Ninetales, if not slightly better for being able to actually switch into Double Iron Bash and threaten even AV variants with Lava Plume burns.

I honestly dunno how this'll compare to Ribombee and Galvantula due to its horrendous passivity, though I must say Stealth Rock is a good niche over those two. Taunt isn't even particularly common, so it might actually be able to forego Mental Herb for Leftovers or a pinch berry.

I think this'll generally be worse than Quagsire due to being even more passive and not having Haze, but hey I could be proven wrong.

also unrank hitmontop scrafty is literally better in every way

I just wanted to point out something I noticed in the Gigantimax screenshots on the website (for the clout when the game drops if nothing else :P). From the snooping I've done of the website, it seems that Charizard has gotten an HP buff.
proof 2.png
proof 4.png
proof 1.png
proof 3.png
checkmate atheist.png
Now, to be fair, Game Freak has been doing really wack shit with the HP stats in their trailers and promo material, but I'm pretty confident in what I'm pedaling here. Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth all had standard HP stats for 31 IVs @ Level 50 (I assume to make their HP stats look beefier than they actually are lol). I honestly don't know why I wasted my time doing this, the game comes out in a month but oh well

Also, to give this post some real purpose, are we just assuming Melmetal is going to be in the game? I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere in ads or interviews or whatever, and he ain't in the Serebii dex

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I just wanted to point out something I noticed in the Gigantimax screenshots on the website (for the clout when the game drops if nothing else :P). From the snooping I've done of the website, it seems that Charizard has gotten an HP buff.
Now, to be fair, Game Freak has been doing really wack shit with the HP stats in their trailers and promo material, but I'm pretty confident in what I'm pedaling here. Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth all had standard HP stats for 31 IVs @ Level 50 (I assume to make their HP stats look beefier than they actually are lol). I honestly don't know why I wasted my time doing this, the game comes out in a month but oh well

Also, to give this post some real purpose, are we just assuming Melmetal is going to be in the game? I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere in ads or interviews or whatever, and he ain't in the Serebii dex
We arent sure, but at least to me it seems likely since Game Freak already has the data for Melmetal from LGPE

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

I don't get how that proves an HP buff at all. Charizard can have that HP by having 22 IVs at Level 50.

And yes, we are fairly confident Melmetal will be in: We actually put it up to vote and the majority wanted it, so we decided to allow Melmetal and add a separate VR for the meta with its inclusion.

I don't get how that proves an HP buff at all. Charizard can have that HP by having 22 IVs at Level 50.
It doesn't prove it. But why would they give Meowth, Pika, and Eevee 31 IVs, Butterfree 0 IVs, and then give Zard 22 randomly? That doesn't really make sense to me, especially since base 88 with 0 IVs is exactly that number, and that would be +10 to Zard's base HP, a totally reasonable stat buff.
Like I said, it's possible that they just decided to give Zard 22 IVs randomly, it was just something I noticed

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Another VR post but with a twist: These focus specifically on the Melmeta

Rises
:rotom-wash:
A ---> A+
The best defensive Melmetal check, easily. Quad resistance to Double Iron Bash, neutrality against Thunder Punch and Will-O-Wisp access ensure its prominence on teams weak to this guy.

:doublade:
A- ---> A
This thing is honestly even better in this metagame. It walls Melmetal really well and appreciates Weavile usage going down.

:vaporeon:
C ---> B
Melmetal's prevalence finally gives Vaporeon a prime partner for its Wish shenanigans. This combo can be especially effective on the latter's AV sets. I pick Vaporeon over any other Wish user because the two cover each other's weaknesses very well, only having a tough time against Fighting types.

Drops
:weavile:
S ---> A+
What can I say? It really doesn't appreciate a meta where a pure Steel type with 135/143 physical defense exists. CB Low Kick 2HKOs, sure, but it is still pressured heavily.

:escavalier:
B ---> C/C-
An already kinda niche pick now rendered irrelevant by Melmetal's extreme effectiveness on TR. It has Bug STAB and Swords Dance to keep itself from being totally outclassed, but most times you'll run Melty boy.

And now for something that applies equally to both formats

:mamoswine:
UR ---> A
Adamant Life Orb.

And Some Quick Thoughts on the Melmeta While We're At It
:melmetal:
Honestly I'm kinda surprised at how well Melmetal fits into the Sword and Shield meta. It has left a big footprint and is a super good pick for sure, but it's definitely beatable (at least until an actually good player starts using Melmetal + Wish Vaporeon and breaks the meta with it). While I didn't nom them here, some mons that could get better/show potential include Rotom-Heat, Quagsire and Arcanine. It honestly feels like a more manageable version of USUM Magearna: Strong and bulky steel type, but it has way less set variety because of its movepool, no way to cteam Fighting types and can't pivot out of checks. Again, unless a set/core that breaks it is discovered it should be fine and fun to have around! What do you think of it with all the playtesting and replays we've accumulated?

Can we confirm Poliwag and kling family now, or at least, allowed they in the melmetal VR? I understand that its not safe assume this, but since Suckle and the chipmunk pokemon are in the shirts there's a better chance now.
1572439684590.png

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With all due respects, you have to keep it patient. We still have no idea what are the data for Grimmsnarl and the Fossils until further notice.
I was being memeish, and I'd say there exists as much data as Corviknight, seeing as stats were leaked.
But leo is right anyways.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
I've coded up the mons whose stats we're confident on and added them to the Nexus server's metagame!
Here's a list of the moves I provided each with for now.
To add a new Pokemon or move to your team you need to use the Import/Export tab and enter their name(s).
Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Snipe Shot
Enjoy messing about and feel free to dm me suggestions or feedback! I urgently need to sleep. That's why the server will say things like Stalwart doesn't exist, by the way- I was focusing on getting things passably working for singles.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Max Phantasm
This is a Ghost-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This lowers the target's Defense stat.

Max Ooze
This is a Poison-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This raises ally Pokemon's Sp. Atk stats.

Max Wyrmwind
This is a Dragon-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This lowers the target's Attack stat.

Max Quake
This is a ground-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This raises ally Pokemon's Sp. Def stats.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Max PhantasmThis is a Ghost-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This lowers the target's Defense stat.

Max Ooze
This is a Poison-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This raises ally Pokemon's Sp. Atk stats.

Max Wyrmwind
This is a Dragon-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This lowers the target's Attack stat.

Max Quake
This is a ground-type attack Dynamax Pokemon use. This raises ally Pokemon's Sp. Def stats.
I guess that confirms that the Bug-type Max Move lower's target Sp. Atk, the only thing is missing is the name

With the news of the leaks, here is one oldermon that I think will go from Untiered to OU (or at least OU viable).
With the new item, Heavy-Duty Boots, which makes the user immune to the effects of hazards, Shedinja is easily going to be one of the most important Pokemon in the game.
Ever since RS, Shedinja was always meant to be a “conditional statement”. That is, if you had the right moves for it, you Pokemon could easily beat it, but if you lacked those moves, it would be impossible to beat.
Unfortunately for Shedinja, with Permanent Sand, Spikes, and Stealth Rock being so common for Gens 3, 4, and 5. In Gen 6 and 7, thanks to the weather nerfs, Shedinja had a small Niche in OU on Stall teams which would have 3 hazard controllers on a team.
Now with a new item that ignores Stealth Rock and Spikes, Shedinja can now become that “conditional statement” is was always meant to be without having heavy support required.
Every sweeper needing to run Fire, Rock, Flying, Ghost, or Dark attacking moves, or toxic/leech seed if they don’t want to be instantly shut down by Shedinja wearing Tims.
That’s HUGE for so many teams on your side and the opponent’s side.
Sweepers and any problem offensive Pokemon a team has that naturally doesn’t run those coverage moves can’t just rely on Stealth Rocks any more.
Pokemon like T-tar, Dragapult, and Obstagoon will be good on their own, but the existence of Shedinja gives them a huge boost to their competition due to not being walled by it.
And yes, Tyranitar is going to be everywhere, same with Dragapult, but if your strength is invalidating a huge portion of the meta with little support, it’s weaknesses are definitely worth it.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Nah, Shedinja is now even weaker to T-tar now, cause of not only sand but also pursuit, and without a focus sash, it isn't going to survive in a match for a while. But considering that it has a niche in stall it will might have the same niche in Gen 8 too.

Speaking of sand, with Excadrill in the game along with T-tar. How do you think sand or excadrill itself will effect the metagame?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Nah, Shedinja is now even weaker to T-tar now, cause of not only sand but also pursuit, and without a focus sash, it isn't going to survive in a match for a while. But considering that it has a niche in stall it will might have the same niche in Gen 8 too.

Speaking of sand, with Excadrill in the game along with T-tar. How do you think sand or excadrill itself will effect the metagame?
Excadrill sand is probably gonna be the best it's been since Gen 5 with the only hard counter to SD sets being physdef Corviknight, so yeah I'd say it'll be fairly decent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)