Pokémon Sword and Shield are possibly the most conterversial Pokemon games ever announced due to their limited roster and removal of features such as Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. Of course, many people have talked about how a competitive SwSh metagame would play out.
This pet mod aims to fulfil that, by using playtesting and available information about the games to speculate in a totally new way: by playing the game before it comes out!
...Okay, I'm gonna stop plagiarising Theorymon's "Let's Go Speculate!" Pet Mod now- if it wasn't clear, this submission aims to work in a similar manner!
Rules & Info
0. This is a 6v6 Singles metagame. Standard OU clauses like Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Evasion Clause, and OHKO Clause apply.
We do also have Doubles OU- and VGC-style metagames set up for anyone interested
1. Only Pokemon that have been confirmed to appear in the game will be allowed in the standard meta (with some specific exceptions).
In order to avoid potentially involving Pokémon that might not be in the games, we'll only be using those that are guaranteed to be in the games through trailer reveals. We're making an exception for Venusaur and Blastoise, who are almost guaranteed given Charizard's presence, as well as the base formes of Linoone and Weezing who will most likely be included with their variants. You can find every other confirmed Pokemon here. The formats themselves allow the use of any mon for the sake of National Dex meta testing, but the restricted meta is definitely our main focus. I'll make an announcement in here if and when more Pokemon are confirmed!
2. Mega Stones and Z-Crystals do not exist and have no function.
They're replaced by...
3. Dynamax is fully implemented, along with Max Moves.
Our implementation of Dynamax relies on a few assumptions and estimates, but it works as such-
- Dynamax lasts 3 turns, doesn't require an item slot and can be activated at the press of a button. It also ends if the user switches out. Like Mega Evolution, it activates at the beginning of the turn.
- The user's current and maximum HP recieve a 1.5x boost for the duration of Dynamax, which is scaled back down once dynamax ends. The user cannot be flinched for the duration of Dynamax.
- The user's attacks are turned into powerful Max Moves. While not as strong as Z-Moves, each Max Move has a guaranteed secondary effect. For example, a Flying-type attack will be boosted into Max Airstream which provides a +1 boost to the user's Speed after attacking. We can't be certain about these effects, but out of the 18 types, our assumption working off currently known Max Moves is that 4 set their respective Weathers, 4 set their respective Terrains, 5 boost one of the user's stats and 5 drop one of the opponent's stats. A list of known and currently assumed Max Move effects, as well as a chart for figuring out their Base Power, can be found here for now.
- Status moves are turned into Max Guard, a Protect clone that fully blocks Max Moves- Max Moves will break through regular Protect and its variants, dealing 1/4 of their normal damage.
4. Terrains affect all Pokemon, not just grounded ones.
According to many people who played the E3 demo, their Corviknight (holding an Everstone) was healed by Grassy Terrain. Video footage showing this can be found here! This makes it seem very likely that terrains have been reworked to affect all Pokemon, and we will be playing with that change in effect.
5. Corviknight and Weezing-Galar have been implemented in a speculatory manner.
Corviknight is a Steel/Flying type with Pressure, Unnerve and Mirror Armor, a new Ability which reflects stat drops from opponents' moves and Abilities. The demo, screenshots and trailers have given us a rough estimate of its stats (102/80/98/56/78/60). We are granting it Skarmory's movepool for testing as it will likely be fairly similar, with the known additions of Hone Claws and Power Trip. For the sake of visual representation in battle, it overwrites Murkrow.
Weezing-Galar is a Poison/Fairy with Levitate and Nullifying Gas, a new Ability which prevents all other abilities from activating while the user is active. We are assuming it has the same stats as its regular form, and have given it regular Weezing's movepool plus Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam and Fairy Wind. For the sake of visual representation in battle, it overwrites Koffing.
As the Pokemon in question may be functionally different to how this portrays them (especially in Corviknight's case), feel free to request matches without them included if you want.
6. New items are included.
The Eject Pack and Room Service items are introduced. Eject Pack seems to be a consumable item which makes the holder switch upon having one of its stats lowered, while Room Service is a consumable item which drops the user's Speed by 1 stage under Trick Room. These can be used by editing the Pokemon's import- for example "Roserade @ Eject Pack"
Current Banlist: Wobbuffet, Wynaut- These two Pokémon turn the already powerful setup-centric teams of this meta's defensive answers into free setup opportunities and punish common revenge killing options. They aren't healthy.
Watchlist: Gyarados- Gyarados is easily the strongest known abuser of Dynamax. A single Dragon Dance is often all it needs to sweep, from which point its coverage of Waterfall (sets Rain when Maxed), Bounce (gives +1 Speed when Maxed) and Earthquake (drops opponent's Defense by 1 stage when Maxed) can snowball through many teams thanks to Moxie. It's made even more fearsome with Screens support. There is counterplay, however- Mimikyu is always a safety net as long as Disguise is active, extremely bulky Pokemon that take its hits neutrally such as Dusclops can disrupt it, and the newly revealed Rotom-Wash deals with it decently.
We've been playing since late June with a small but dedicated playerbase, which has given us some time to make resources! Shoutouts to Luisar2002 and Yung Dramps in particular for their assistance with these resources, as well as the rest of the players.
Speed Tiers (Just sorted by base Speed for now)
Fully playable on Nexus!
Our shiny new Discord!
This thread IS the place for discussing the metagame and our resources for it. It ISN'T the place for discussing the Pokedex cut, although its impact on competitive play may be relevant to discussion and therefore given a pass. Enjoy, and get testing!