SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

Blipbug is this gen's Magikarp stage 1 shitmon. 100 BST and only learns Struggle Bug lol. At least it evolves at level 10. Also gets Recover from breeding which is neat. I wish they had given Psychic Surge to Orbeetle instead, it doesn't seem to occupy any unique niche.

Killing Hidden Power is weird. So much lost blanket coverage (so much for ripping it up with shadow ball + HP fighting teapot), which I suppose curbs the offensiveness of the meta. No Pursuit really opened a huge space for Ghosts Psychics and frail mons to be a lil more carefree.

Tyranitar got nothing new aside from that defense based press move. Which is to say, Tyranitar is still that bitch. Even without Pursuit.

Last edited:
Blipbug is this gen's Magikarp shitmon stage 1. 100 BST and only learns Struggle Bug lol. At least it evolves at level 10. Also gets Recover from breeding which is neat. I wish they had given Psychic Surge to Orbeetle instead, it doesn't seem to occupy any unique niche.
hey it gets Sticky web along side Vikavolt, its goin to see some usage

Grapploct is a bit underwhelming.

It gets technician as its HA but no good moves to abuse it outside of Brutal Swing and Circle Throw. It gets no recovery outside of Pain Split and Drain Punch. It gets PuP, Work Up and Bulk Up as set-up moves. For coverage it gets Ice Punch, Liquidation, and Stomping Tantrum. It does get CC but I don't actually see it being used. Rather I see a bulky set-up set running something like Octolock/Bulk-up/Drain Punch/Brutal Swing (or Ice Punch/Liquidation).

Blipbug is this gen's Magikarp shitmon stage 1. 100 BST and only learns Struggle Bug lol. At least it evolves at level 10. Also gets Recover from breeding which is neat. I wish they had given Psychic Surge to Orbeetle instead, it doesn't seem to occupy any unique niche.
Toxel (Toxtricity) and Snom(Frosmoth) aren't much better (especially Snom who needs max Friendship at night to evolve)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While we're all going feral over the new movepools and stats of the new Gen 8 mons and whatnot, I'd like to point out (this could count as a little thing I like about Pokemon) that while it's a shame a lot of mons got cut, I love that they wrote new Pokedex entries about the older mons that made it in. They did it with all the older mons in Alola in Gen 7, and I'm glad they did it again with Sword and Shield. It was a shame that they rehashed the same dex entries from Gens 4-6, but I absolutely love learning new things about the Pokemon I love as I see their new dex entries between Gen 7 and Gen 8, and I hope they can keep writing more new entries in the future. It's fun learning things flavor-wise about each of my favorites.

I wiiiish Frosmoth was bumped up to 500 BST to at least be on par with the other big bugs. Frosmoth has a solid movepool but not much beyond STAB, although Ice Scales is a neat ability (and yet another case of GF pushing Bug and Ice typing as a defensive typing for some reason). Quiver Dance is appreciated and I think Calm Mind has some utility with Ice Scales, but also no Roost/recovery :(((. Not quite as scary as Volcarona but still a super sweet design.

Centiskorch also would have really liked more speed (at least 10 out of HP or spa) and swapped def/spdef. Coil is cool but no speed boosting. Again, pretty great movepool plus random coverage like Thunder Fang, Power Whip (lool bulky water what?), and Scald.

I love all the Bugs this gen.

hey it gets Sticky web along side Vikavolt, its goin to see some usage
Sweet, didn't notice that. Still a great design anyway. Bugs are winning two gens in a row.

Last edited:
Were there ANY stat changes asides from aegislash?
View attachment 205248
So i made a program to parse the dump for BST changes, and this was the only result it spat out :psygrump:
It only checks one entry pr pokemon, Sword Form is also changed.
Unfortunately no. No buffs this time around unlike sun and moons many buffs

Edit: a bunch of mons got movepool buffs such as jelli and drifblim getting strength sap,gardevoir getting mystical fire, gengar and hydreigon getting nasty plot..etc though

For lower tier/"boring" pokemon, Orbeetle is looking like it'll make for a nice scout thanks to U-Turn and Frisk.
Blipbug is this gen's Magikarp stage 1 shitmon. 100 BST and only learns Struggle Bug lol. At least it evolves at level 10. Also gets Recover from breeding which is neat. I wish they had given Psychic Surge to Orbeetle instead, it doesn't seem to occupy any unique niche.
Orbeetle is low-key pretty solid IMO. 60/110/120 defensive stats are good, it has Recover and base 90 Speed, and while Bug/Psychic has a lot of common weaknesses, the lack of Pursuit, additional ways to deal with Hazards, and 4x resist to Fighting along with a 2x resist to Psychic, Grass, and Ground are IMO very solid niches.

This thing can actually wall Mega Medicham unless it's carrying Thunder Punch with Electric Terrain up.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Right of Glalie.
Ah, I see now. How convenient that Gen 4 is now the only old generation with none of its legendaries in the game... hmm...

Real talk, I doubt Jirachi will be that much of a bother. Remember, Dynamax makes you immune to flinching! Also there's gonna be tons of Dark types running around like Hydreigon and Bisharp.

Noctowl might see more usage in the lower tiers. It now has Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, and Stored Power. What's interesting it can now run a Psycho Shift set, and spread burns(with flame orb) and set up

Leafeon learns Solar Blade. Calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 282-333 (86.7 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arcanine: 309-365 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 339-399 (104.9 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It's going to have some competition from Shiftry, who also gets SD + Chlorophyll + Solar Blade. It's got 10 less Atk and 15 less Spe, but Dark STAB is useful, and it can go mixed.

There's enough counterplay to hazards still. Besides those two moves, we have Taunt users, Magic Bounce Espeon, the new Cinderace move that reverses the hazards.

Dont forget heavy duty boots that straight up ignores hazards. Combine that with the very low distribution of knock off and u got a meta where hazards or defog doesnt matter that much

Which is a good thing considering the rapid spin and defog distribution is HORRENDOUS this gen. Hazards couldve been cancer but thank god power level is lower + heavy duty boots exist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)