Pokémon Copperajah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copperajah

Base Stats: HP: 122 | Atk: 130 | Def: 69 | SpA: 80 | SpD: 69 | Spe: 30
Abilities: Sheer Force (1) | Sheer Force (2) | Heavy Metal (H)

Level Up Moves:
- [00] Heavy Slam​
- [01] Heavy Slam​
- [01] Tackle​
- [01] Growl​
- [01] Rollout​
- [01] Rock Smash​
- [15] Bulldoze​
- [20] Stomp​
- [25] Iron Defense​
- [30] Dig​
- [37] Strength​
- [44] Iron Head​
- [51] Play Rough​
- [58] High Horsepower​
- [65] Superpower​

Egg Moves:
- Double-Edge​
- Belch​
- Curse​
- Slam​
- Fissure​
- Swagger​
- Whirlwind​
- Defense Curl​

TMs:
- [TM01] Mega Kick​
- [TM08] Hyper Beam​
- [TM09] Giga Impact​
- [TM15] Dig​
- [TM16] Screech​
- [TM21] Rest​
- [TM22] Rock Slide​
- [TM24] Snore​
- [TM25] Protect​
- [TM26] Scary Face​
- [TM31] Attract​
- [TM39] Facade​
- [TM42] Revenge​
- [TM43] Brick Break​
- [TM48] Rock Tomb​
- [TM53] Mud Shot​
- [TM54] Rock Blast​
- [TM57] Payback​
- [TM59] Fling​
- [TM76] Round​
- [TM81] Bulldoze​
- [TM85] Snarl​
- [TM97] Brutal Swing​
- [TM98] Stomping Tantrum​

TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam​
- [TR10] Earthquake​
- [TR20] Substitute​
- [TR24] Outrage​
- [TR26] Endure​
- [TR27] Sleep Talk​
- [TR37] Taunt​
- [TR39] Superpower​
- [TR46] Iron Defense​
- [TR67] Earth Power​
- [TR69] Zen Headbutt​
- [TR70] Flash Cannon​
- [TR72] Power Whip​
- [TR74] Iron Head​
- [TR75] Stone Edge​
- [TR76] Stealth Rock​
- [TR79] Heavy Slam​
- [TR85] Work Up​
- [TR88] Heat Crash​
- [TR90] Play Rough​
- [TR94] High Horsepower​
- [TR99] Body Press​

Notable Moves:
- Heavy Slam​
- Iron Head​
- Play Rough​
- High Horsepower​
- Superpower​
- Curse​
- Whirlwind​
- Rock Slide​
- Earthquake​
- Taunt​
- Power Whip​
- Stone Edge​
- Stealth Rock​
- Heat Crash​
- Body Press​

Gigantamax:

G-Max Steelsurge:
|
| BP: up to 130 (Phy) / up to 140 (Spe) | A Steel-type attack that Gigantamax Copperajah use. This move scatters sharp spikes around the field.

Analysis:

Copperjah definitely looks to shine through it's G-Max move (which sadly isn't on PS! yet). Apparently, one may believe this move sets up Spikes, but in actuality it's a Steel-type clone of Stealth Rock, which is HUGE. That alone could make Copperajah a massive threat on Dynamax meta. Steel isn't as good of an Offensive type, but it most notably hits Fairies and Tyranitar, and having them take 25% damage upon switch in would be extremely valuable for some team. It's currently unown wether these stack with normal Stealth Rock, so we'll have to wait to know. But Copperajah is NOT a one trick pony! It has great bulk, a very powerful base 130 Attack stat, and some extremely colorful coverage. That allows it to play two possible roles, one more offensive abusing the coverage of Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, as well as a more defensive approach as we all know Steel-type is glorious. This pokémon also really appreciates the scarcity of Ground-types as of now, no Landorus-T is definitely a godsend and should be enough to put it a notch above.

It will still have some trouble with Ground- and Fire-types however. Hippowdon really doesn't mind anything this guy may want to do, and Cinderace can switch into its STAB alright and court change Copperajah's hazards away, as well as threaten it with Pyro Ball. It also has abysmall speed, which is definitely not good in a metagame as offensive as this one. Trick Room could be a possibility, but nothing gives the impression that this playstyle is much more viable than last gen then it was last time.

Potential Movesets:

Copperajah @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Standard Life Orb Attacker. You can probably go with something in place of EQ that takes advantage of Sheer Force, but its coverage is really important here. I could see this set having some trouble with other Steels though, mainly Ferrothorn and Corviknight, so Fire coverage can be used instead.

Copperajah @ Choice Band
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Heat Crash
- Stone Edge
- Power Whip

I feel like Choice Band is also a great option. You can go with Heavy Metal here and deliver some really powerful Heavy Slams and Heat Crashes, with Stone Edge and Power Whip to cover Fire- and Water-types, respectively.

Copperajah @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Heat Crash
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Your standard defensive set here. Heavy Slam and Heat Crash should hit decently hard even uninvested. Specially Defensive could also probably work great, I'd just suggest replacing Body Press. Heat Crash perhaps?

Obviously more sets are viable, as well as permutations / variations of these sets. But this is just a rough draft of the possible sets and I don't wanna flood this with some dumb shit.

Last edited:
Copperajah @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Body Press
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Your standard defensive set here. Body Press can do a number to other Steel-types and Rock Slide helps with any Fire- or Flying-types that could want to take advantage of Copperajah. Specially Defensive could also probably work great, I'd just suggest replacing Body Press. Heat Crash perhaps?

Obviously more sets are viable, as well as permutations / variations of these sets. But this is just a rough draft of the possible sets and I don't wanna flood this with some dumb shit.
I think we should stray away from slapping Body Press on Defensive sets. I think the conventional assumption is that Body Press uses your defense number to calculate damage, and Base 69 Defense, even with 252 EVs, isn't going to be hurting anyone much. Heat Crash accomplishes the same goal that Body Press aims to do, but with more consistent damage. As a Defensive Steel type, I think Whirlwind would increase its value as a utility Pokemon. Steel + Fire coming off of a Pokemon with 0 Atk EV investment gives a number of Pokemon set-up opportunities against it (notably Gyarados), and phazing helps mitigate some of those issues.

Another set that could be of interest is a Mixed Sheer Force wallbreaker. 80 SpAtk with an LO + Sheer Force boost with a Modest Nature can put out quite a bit of damage. The two Special moves of note, Flash Cannon and Earth Power, take advantage of the fact most Fairy-types and Steel-types typically either have low SpDef or dump their EVs into Defense. Thus, the set can easily lure in traditional Physical walls that would switch into Copperajah. Stuff like Rock Slide and Heat Crash could round out its moveset.

Copperajah @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpAtk or 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpAtk
Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Rock Slide
- Heat Crash

The set has problems with hitting Corviknight, but oh well.

Last edited:
I think we should stray away from slapping Body Press on Defensive sets. I think the conventional assumption is that Body Press uses your defense number to calculate damage, and Base 69 Defense, even with 252 EVs, isn't going to be hurting anyone much. Heat Crash accomplishes the same goal that Body Press aims to do, but with more consistent damage. As a Defensive Steel type, I think Whirlwind would increase its value as a utility Pokemon. Steel + Fire coming off of a Pokemon with 0 Atk EV investment gives a number of Pokemon set-up opportunities against it (notably Gyarados), and phazing helps mitigate some of those issues.
oh yeah, my dumbass forgot it has low base defense for a second there. my bad! i'll fix it promptly :) mixed sounds interesting too but i think most of the time investing in Attack is a lot better tbh

I like this things potential, when I can get it in safely it tends to do damage. It reminds me a lot of mega camerupt. It's slow, but overwhelmingly powerful and great typing in pure steel. It scares mons out with ease, and it has a bunch of moves to abuse with sheer force. I've gotten the most out of an all out attacker life orb set, but I adjusted his stat spread a bit to avoid being outsped by pex and chancing a scald burn.

Copperajah-Gmax @ Life Orb
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Slide

I had play rough where eq is, but heat crash or eq is probably better.

Last edited:
Even the heavy ball fails in dynamax raids and results in failed catches. Would be horrible if that effect carried through to normal battles since it'd completely ruin the viability of weight-based moves since anything can dynamax.

Ema Skye

Work!
Even the heavy ball fails in dynamax raids and results in failed catches. Would be horrible if that effect carried through to normal battles since it'd completely ruin the viability of weight-based moves since anything can dynamax.
All Dynamax Mons have ??? Weight, so anything involving weight fails on them as they are weightless.

Wait, wont these sets make it so that he'll probs only be able to take one hit and prob faint one mon?

What are the benefits to the sets listed above? lol

Wait, wont these sets make it so that he'll probs only be able to take one hit and prob faint one mon?

What are the benefits to the sets listed above? lol
Steel has a ton of resistances, it sort of goes without saying that you won't be trying to send Copperajah in against anything that can take it out in one hit. Rather you'll wait for opportunities to use it against pokemon that can't do much to it, forcing the opponent to switch and giving you the chance to use a relevant move.

130 Atk and 30 Speed, this mon was made for TR teams. Too bad it doesn't get Gyro Ball otherwise it would have been a discount Stakataka. Instead it relays on Heat Crash and Heavy Slam, which is fine enough because it is heavy especially with Heavy Metal or ops for coverage with Sheer Force. Outside of TR, the mon is fairly lackluster. 69 (nioce) defenses means it isn't that bulky, slower than most walls and below average special attack means it will be very one note. Compared to other wall breakers like G. Darmanitan, this mon might find it difficult to find a niche. Too early to tell though.

With Stealth Rock, three layers of Spikes and G-Max Steelsurge, all Ice-types that have a secondary type weak to either Rock or Steel, and are grounded, can be OHKOed with hazards alone.

For the Galar-only meta, this only includes Frosmoth and Zen Mode Galarian Darmanitan.

Last edited:
With Stealth Rock, three layers of Spikes and G-Max Steelsurge, all Ice-types that have a secondary type weak to either Rock or Steel, and are grounded, can be OHKOed with hazards alone.
I'm pretty sure this requires a double weakness to one or the other. For instance, Kyurem will take 25% from each hazard, for a total of 75%. So it's specifically Ice/Bug, Ice/Fairy, Ice/Rock or Ice/Fire types (none of which exist at full HP to my knowledge). Also Ice/Flying under Gravity, I suppose.

In practice this affects Frosmoth, Aurorus and Alolan Ninetales.

How do you guys feel about the viability of a hazard that can only be used once per match and requires you to expend your Dynamax? As a way to pressure, like, fairies not named Clefable I guess it could be useful if you can get rid of hazard removers before using it.

How do you guys feel about the viability of a hazard that can only be used once per match and requires you to expend your Dynamax? As a way to pressure, like, fairies not named Clefable I guess it could be useful if you can get rid of hazard removers before using it.
Only really useful on teams built around hazard stacking and forcing switches. Anything else will get more out of other Dynamax effects most of the time. Steel has a consistently useful Max Move effect anyway.

This is one of the few Dynamaxes with an effect that's useful on stall, though, and might see use for that reason alone.

I think a spread of 120 HP / 88 Att+ / 252 Def / 48 Spe gives it the best of both worlds.
Raja (Copperajah)
EVs: 120 HP / 88 Atk / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Heat Crash
- Power Whip / Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
This is similar to how offensive Gira-O prefers more defensive investment over HP to live the common attacks thrown at it. Copperajah is already naturally strong and can ohko/2hko a lot of mons with little investment. Many times, 88+ attack investment does the same job as max attack investment in a 1v1 situation, so Copperajah can afford to run some much needed bulk.
+ Heat crash ohkoes offensive excadrill and standard spdef ferro. It also 2hkoes max HP orbeetle (same for 252+ Att).
+ Power whip ohkoes barraskewda, ohkoes scarf rotom-w 94% of the time, 2hkoes fully phys def rotom-w (same for 252+ Att), and gives you something to hit gyarados with.
+ Heavy slam ohkoes offensive ttar, fully phys def fairies after rocks such as hatterene and clefable(81% of the time), and 2hkoes fully phys def weezing-G (Same for 252+ Att). It also ohkoes +1 grimmsnarl after rocks.
+ Earthquake is really just for pex and opposing copper. Its a way to avoid king's shield but Aegislash might not see the light of OU again. Back to pex, it 2hkoes spdef pex after rocs (same for 252+ Att). For max phys def pex both attack investment versions wouldn't want to be touching it, as it is a 3hko after rocks and black sludge. However, both can still clutch out a 2hko with Max Quake.
+ Speed investment creeps pex.
Not sure what item is best for it. I've used shuca in order to live a hit from LO exca or +2 jolly exca and ohko it back. Shuca also allows it to live 2 eqs from jolly gyara or a +2 max quake from said gyara. Leftovers can work too, but you'll have to trade 4 spe evs for hp to hit a lefties number (you'll still creep pex). If you don't even care about creeping pex, then go for more bulk. Sitrus is also an interesting option as it guarantee activates after scarf rotom-w pump and jolly gyara eq in order to allow you to avoid the 2hko.
Other random stuff you can live in order to retaliate an ohko are adamant banded barraskewda liquidation in rain, LO clef fire blast (62.5% chance), and +1 adamant max phantasm dragapult (93% of the time)

On a side note I liked pairing it with mamoswine for the mammoth+elephant aesthetic. Needs a partner for fire and fightings tho

Copperajah is an absolute monster on Trick Room. Basically this Mon + Trick Room + Dynamax = TOTAL DEVASTATION! In Dynamax you can gain Def and Sp. Def over time. There is a catch however; you need to do this once the opponent is either on their last 3 and bonus points if your opponent has used their Dynamax already. I'd give this Mon only EVs in HP and Atk because nothing else will help it. Putting Def and Sp. Def EVs is like putting them on a Sweeper, it lacks the Bulk (despite it looking bulking...Oh the irony), but this is my opinion take it with a grain of salt as I say.

I'm ready for this gmax me be to get implemented and see how it plays out. This thing has been my favorite gen VIII Mon so far tbh, so gmax or not I'll be running it a lot lol. I feel like it could really help with keeping thing like darm in check if you can get those + rocks up.

I don't think its useful at all, 1: You can only use it when their hazard removal is dead, because you can only set it up once
2:At that point, spike stacking is just better
3: This is the deal breaker, the fact that you have to burn your dynamax is horrible, and in a meta where it stays legal, efficient use of your dynamax is game deciding. You would have to use it in a way that it could actually put in work, like under trick room, and then you have to NOT win enough so that the hazard will effect the match because there are enough switches left.

Do you need heavy metal to run heat crash? Seems like it may be heavy enough without it, and looking for that 1 raid battle with this guy and hope you get the HA with it will be annoying

Also, there mas a mixed attacker mentioned, how did that do in practice?

Do you need heavy metal to run heat crash? Seems like it may be heavy enough without it, and looking for that 1 raid battle with this guy and hope you get the HA with it will be annoying

Also, there mas a mixed attacker mentioned, how did that do in practice?
I haven't tried mixed attacker, but you definitely don't need heavy metal for heat crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)