Work!
Coalossal

Types - Rock/Fire
Base Stats - 110 HP / 80 Atk / 120 Def / 80 SAtk / 90 SDef / 30 Spe

Abilities
* Steam Engine~
* Flame Body
* Flash Fire

~Steam Engine: Maxes speed when hit by a Fire or Water move (does not give an immunity)

Moveset:
Level Up Moves:
- [00] Tar Shot
- [01] Tar Shot
- [01] Flame Charge
- [01] Tackle
- [01] Smokescreen
- [01] Rapid Spin
- [01] Smack Down
- [15] Rock Polish
- [20] Ancient Power
- [27] Incinerate
- [37] Stealth Rock
- [45] Heat Crash
- [54] Rock Blast
- [63] Burn Up
TMs:
- [TM00] Mega Punch
- [TM01] Mega Kick
- [TM03] Fire Punch
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM11] Solar Beam
- [TM13] Fire Spin
- [TM15] Dig
- [TM18] Reflect
- [TM20] Self-Destruct
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM22] Rock Slide
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM32] Sandstorm
- [TM38] Will-O-Wisp
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM48] Rock Tomb
- [TM49] Sand Tomb
- [TM54] Rock Blast
- [TM76] Round
- [TM81] Bulldoze
TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam
- [TR02] Flamethrower
- [TR10] Earthquake
- [TR15] Fire Blast
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR23] Spikes
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR36] Heat Wave
- [TR43] Overheat
- [TR46] Iron Defense
- [TR52] Gyro Ball
- [TR55] Flare Blitz
- [TR67] Earth Power
- [TR74] Iron Head
- [TR75] Stone Edge
- [TR76] Stealth Rock
- [TR79] Heavy Slam
- [TR84] Scald
- [TR88] Heat Crash
- [TR94] High Horsepower
- [TR99] Body Press
Egg Moves:
- Explosion
- Mud-Slap
- Block

Notable Moves:
* Rapid Spin
* Stealth Rock
* Reflect
* Will-o-Wisp
* Flamethrower
* Earthquake
* Fire Blast
* Spikes
* Gyro Ball
* Fire Punch
* Earth Power
* Iron Head
* Stone Edge
* Scald
* Body Press

Rhyperior tried to sneak into Galar by disguising itself as a Coal Monster, huh? Jokes aside, this one has quite the movepool. Without Heatran, defensive Fire-types have more of a chance, and Coalossal could be a solid addition. While the typing does it absolutely no favors (4x Water weak, 4x Ground weak, Fighting weakness, Rock weakness all suck, though Ice, Bug, Fairy and Fire resistances are awesome), Coalossal tries to differentiate itself from Magcargo (who has the same typing and has forever been stuck in the bottom tiers) with some awesome support moves. Despite both being TRs in Galar, the combo of Stealth Rock + Spikes is rare, and Rapid Spin is also a rare move in Galar. Coalossal is the Pokemon that gets all three moves, giving it fantastic utility and role compression.

While a Spinner weak to Stealth Rock seems like a recipe for disaster, the new Heavy Duty Boots prevent Coalossal from taking hazard damage, giving it new opportunities to come in and spin, and maybe set up another hazard. Unfortunately, it is too slow to make use of the speed boost from Rapid Spin, as well as the max speed from Steam Engine (good luck finding a Water move you could get it from!). Suppose though that you've already got hazards on another Pokemon; afterall, they are TRs and have wider distribution than before! In that case, Coalossal still fits a support niche for your team. Spinning is still valuable given how common hazards are, and Coalossal can now spread burns through a variety of forms: Scald, Wisp and Flame Body. Scald is particularly useful as the burn punishes Water-types for switching in, as well as punishing Ground types not only with the burn, but also with super effective damage.

Offensively, it is held back by mediocre offenses (with no way to boost) and awful speed, so it won't be sweeping anytime soon. It does have enough options though to prevent it from being set up bait. Physically, it has options for both STABs, as well as Ground and Steel coverage, and Body Press (which works off of the 120 Def). On the special side, it doesn't have a Rock STAB, but does gain Scald. For a defensive Pokemon, it's sufficient.

--Pros--
Awesome support movepool consisting of multiple hazards, burns and spins
Typing has some options defensively, with key resists in Ice and Fairy
Spreads burns very reliably through Wisp, Scald and Flame Body
Unlike some spinners, Coalossal isn't passive

--Cons--
Slow as molasses
Many unfortunate weaknesses
Still slow even with Steam Engine boosts
No way to boost offenses
No recovery outside of Leftovers limits longevity, especially without Heavy Duty Boots to prevent hazard damage

*Dynamaxing potential*
Coalossal does have a Gigantimax form, which means it has an exclusive G-Max attack. G-Max Volcalith not only deals damage, but applies Fire Spin. Frankly, there are much better users of Dynamax than Coalossal, especially when using it in this way prevents it from utilizing its support tools.

Potential Movesets

* Basic Spinner *
Coalossal @ Heavy Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm / Careful Nature
* Rapid Spin
* Spikes / Stealth Rock
* Will-o-Wisp
* Stone Edge / Flamethrower / Scald

Pretty simple set: come in and spin, and set up a hazard while you're at it. Spread burns with Wisp, especially when you're set-up-bait for Pokemon like Gyarados or Barraskewda. Finish with a STAB of your choice (and change the nature accordingly!). Or go for Scald because it's a stupid move also spreads burns. Leftovers is your only way of healing so it can also be an option if you're confident.

* Assault Vest *
Coalossal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
* Rapid Spin
* Stone Edge
* Flamethrower
* Scald

With burns from Scald supporting its physical bulk, an AV set can make some sense in becoming more of a tank. Spin is what gives this a niche, and you keep STAB for coverage too. Pretty basic AV set, with the Vest giving more options to come in and spin.

* Weakness Policy *
Coalossal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Steam Engine
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
* Stone Edge
* Earthquake
* Fire Punch
* Iron Head

Putting this here because I know someone is going to try and bring it up. Not worth it imo but I guess I can't stop you. Basic premise is to try and take some weak Scald to trigger Steam Engine and Weakness Policy, giving you +2/+2/+6. With 636 speed, you can try and do a sweep. Not worth it for more than the memes for Youtube videos (because you know someone is going to try it)

Last edited:
Just a heads-up that you can use Body Press while Dynamaxed to raise your Attack. I've played Tyranitar, Double Screens from Grimmsnarl and a Passho Berry to secure living through a Water Attack. It's still on the weak side, offensively, but with Sandstorm and Screens, it's bulky enough to get through with the setup.

Why not use Burn Up? Coalossal needs it so much to get rid of its x4 weaknesses.
30 base Speed; unless you predict a switch there is a good chance it won't get off. If they do switch, it is a good chance of being water type that resists and you are still x2 weak and will probably be forced out. Maybe with the Weakness Policy/Steam Engine set, but even then that still sounds gimmicky.

30 base Speed; unless you predict a switch there is a good chance it won't get off. If they do switch, it is a good chance of being water type that resists and you are still x2 weak and will probably be forced out. Maybe with the Weakness Policy/Steam Engine set, but even then that still sounds gimmicky.
If that's paired with the likes of Tyranitar or a screen setter, it's pretty much guaranteed that it lives through a super effective attack. I've used Rock Polish on mine since it's really bulky even with the Water type in Sand and behind screens (then, what isn't, but if one wants to make this work offensively, it needs all the support).

30 base Speed; unless you predict a switch there is a good chance it won't get off.
That's the main issue on Coalossal regardless what set it is running.

If they do switch, it is a good chance of being water type that resists and you are still x2 weak and will probably be forced out. Maybe with the Weakness Policy/Steam Engine set, but even then that still sounds gimmicky.
Burn Up indeed requires prediction, but once the type change is done, other factors are able to back it up such as WeaknessPolicy/Leftovers/Assualt Vest when paired with the Screens/Sandstorm support that Aurinko mentioned above (aswell as in dynamax form Max Rockfall can even be pulled without Tyranitar, even tho being slow against an offensive dynamaxed water type may not be the preferred scenario). Protect can also help a bit on Leftovers variants. Can be high risk but indeed you get a highly rewarded wall with proper support.

Where have I seen that before?

"Pair Gyarados with Electivire to lure and get Motor Drive boosts"

Yeah, like I said, it wont change anything about steam engine being gimmicky. I'm just saying that you can try to predict a fire move and get a steam engine boost from that one too. And that's by far easier to survive then a 4x water attack.

All this talk about steam engine and nobody is talking about the functionally superior flash fire. Coalossal is essentially a somewhat worse version of Heatran with the addition of rapid spin. It has a lot of the same issues, but without a lot of the utility Heatran can offer via trapping/toxic support and a disastrous defensive typing. You could technically use a block or fire spin set but I feel that isn’t worth the time and may only be useful in fringe scenarios. Coalossal is pretty cool and I like it in lower tiers but it probably has no place in OU.

I wish this thing evolved into something much faster like a big ass truck.

I think that it's got a place in OU if solely for being a Fire Type as those are so rare in this Metagame. A special version with a Fire Move and Earth Power is a good switch-in against Aegislash and Corviknight which are really common, while Corsola-Galar can't lower its SAtk and Toxapex risks activating a potential Weakness Policy (and Ferrothorn we needn't talk about in that regard; and this is all the ones used in common defensive cores). The mentioned role is possible with either a more offensive orientated set with Weakness Policy or a more defensive orientated set with Heavy Duty Boots, although I think that Weakness Policy is worth it alone for the possibility of triggering while still doing its job regardless.

Weakness Policy sets work because a Pokemon is bulky enough to take a super effective hit. When your two biggest weaknesses are 4x, meaning you have to rely on the attacker being weak as shit like Toxapex, I'd hardly call that a good idea.

Steam Engine isn't a total waste because of it triggering on Fire hits, though. And I suppose a Passho set is feasible. But Weakness Policy makes no sense.

Ema Skye

Work!
I think that it's got a place in OU if solely for being a Fire Type as those are so rare in this Metagame. A special version with a Fire Move and Earth Power is a good switch-in against Aegislash and Corviknight which are really common, while Corsola-Galar can't lower its SAtk and Toxapex risks activating a potential Weakness Policy (and Ferrothorn we needn't talk about in that regard; and this is all the ones used in common defensive cores). The mentioned role is possible with either a more offensive orientated set with Weakness Policy or a more defensive orientated set with Heavy Duty Boots, although I think that Weakness Policy is worth it alone for the possibility of triggering while still doing its job regardless.
Toxapex Scald OHKOs unless you are Assault Vest. I don’t think there’s any viable Water move Steam Engine can trigger on.

Toxapex Scald OHKOs unless you are Assault Vest. I don’t think there’s any viable Water move Steam Engine can trigger on.
I get that Rock/Fire is a defensive typing with some awful weaknesses and that this thing likely won't cut it in OU, but people really need to actually DO THE MATH before saying blatantly wrong stuff that's CLEARLY wrong at a glance.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 248 HP / 0+ SpD Magcargo: 208-252 (49.1 - 59.5%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 248 HP / 0+ SpD Magcargo: 244-292 (57.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ema Skye

Work!
I get that Rock/Fire is a defensive typing with some awful weaknesses and that this thing likely won't cut it in OU, but people really need to actually DO THE MATH before saying blatantly wrong stuff that's CLEARLY wrong at a glance.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 248 HP / 0+ SpD Magcargo: 208-252 (49.1 - 59.5%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 248 HP / 0+ SpD Magcargo: 244-292 (57.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I must have ran into a weird Pex sweet while laddering then. I was using AV Coal and Scald did like 70%. Just assumed it was standard because Pex has no variation in its EVs.

Thanks for the clarification though!

Weakness Policy sets work because a Pokemon is bulky enough to take a super effective hit. When your two biggest weaknesses are 4x, meaning you have to rely on the attacker being weak as shit like Toxapex, I'd hardly call that a good idea.

Steam Engine isn't a total waste because of it triggering on Fire hits, though. And I suppose a Passho set is feasible. But Weakness Policy makes no sense.
It does learn endure, obviously bad if they have aqua jet but enduring on a gyara that waterfalls you you're in.

How about a physically defensive spread for its spinning set? Would let it maybe stay in and burn a Fighter with Wisp/Scald/etc, let it switch into U Turn better, let it switch into Ferrothorn easier, etc. Still take Ice Beams and Fairy moves easily enough.

I'm thinking a balanced team, T Tar + Exca core. Sand would buff Coalossal's Spec D anyway, so a physically defensive spread and nature might be better in that case.

Thoughts?

I want to point out that Rillaboom, both pre and post Grassy Surge works very well with this thing. U-turn by Rillaboom can allow you to pivot into a +6 speed boost, as well as allow you to eat a flying, ice, or bug attack meant for monkey. On top of that, when Grassy Surge comes out, it will halve the damage by EQ and Bulldoze

Matleo

Banned deucer.
~Steam Engine: Maxes speed when hit by a Fire or Water move (does not give an immunity)

a 1/4 resistance to fire and 4x weakness to water? and maxes speed? should activate by water sport, rain and sun automatically in future.

Could have halved fire and water damage and rised speed +1....

Its G-form begs for having sun and light screen support here... at least it can use Max Flare for that.

Begs for Magnet Rise

I'm kind of new to competitive so sorry if this is off the wall but wouldn't coalossal's access to burn up actually be good if going for weakness policy set? Kill fire typing and lure steam engine then sweep via stone edge/ rock slide. You still have the slots for rapid spin and stealth rocks or you could forgo trap setting for another fire move like flamethrower or blitz..

I've been out of comp since gen 5, but it seems like the cheesy weakness policy set could have a place in doubles. Dynamax Coalossal to minimize damage and then have a Dragopult with min spatt max speed use surf right off the bat. Dragopult could even rock a helping hand if you wanted. You could still get beat by an opening prediction (enemy starting with a strong ground/water move), but I've seen so many just start with Grimmsnarl/ferro or togekiss/polteageist.

Last edited:

Matleo

Banned deucer.
what if rain falls on Steam Engine? should it activate when entering battle in rain?
or in sun? and get speeded up the first turn out?

Will Life dew activate its Steam engine when healing it by a partner in double battle?

Can you batton pass it Aqua Ring? activate its ability and make it get recovery?

Watch out for this pokemon better in future people because it may be shocking.

Tar Shot on a dry skin or fluffy user? neat... paired with Fire Spin?
if you call it right and first Fire Spin for trapping and then Tar Shot?
with Burn up nice combo but still stays rock type and needs a sandstorm.

Substitute strategy... paired with Dig... neat and sneaky fire golem.

Got Scald what can be nice.

why and how did it got Attract? seriously?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)